PDA

View Full Version : Jammed OM2 SP

marcust101
12-24-2006, 10:30
Hi folks,

I picked up a OM 2sp on the bay last week as little christmas present for myself. The listing mentioned that the shutter had stopped working after a few shots. The meter and shutter dial are fine, it's a really clean (and beautiful) camera, it just seems that either the winding mechanism is jammed or the shutter button is stuck.:bang:

Either way it doesn't work, so my question after that preamble, is this a regular problem that can be resolved easily or a technican job.

Can anyone recommend a good service place in Ireland or the UK?

Thanks and Happy Christmas:D

Marcus

amateriat
12-24-2006, 11:27
The OM-2S' shutter-curtain "strings" are known to get messed up on occasion (it happened with galfriend's 2S a few years back), but should be repairable by any competent camera tech. And that camera is definitely worth getting fixed...it's one of the more-interesting variations on the OM theme (the only OM body with a Program AE mode), rock-solid, and possibly my favorite (sez he who is not very fond of SLRs anymore). I think you'll like it "lots".

- Barrett

marcust101
12-24-2006, 11:50
Barrett,

Thanks for the quick reply, the program AE was what drew me, I use an OM1 regularly but need a little help now and again if using the camera at a wedding or the like, about 5 drinks seems to through off my ability to judge/remember to adjust exposure. At Irish weddings thats about 4 in the afternoon.

I've heard CRR in Luton are good so I'll send it off in the New year

Marcus

Stu W
12-24-2006, 12:44
Marcus, try replacing the batteries and then selecting the "B" setting. That may unjam the camera. Stu

marcust101
01-02-2007, 04:28
thanks Stu, I'll give that a go

ClaremontPhoto
01-02-2007, 05:04
I too have an OM2 SP and have bookmarked Luton Camera (clicky) (http://www.lutcamre.demon.co.uk/) just in case I need them.

I went to their shop once and was impressed.

Maybe they are the premier OM centre in the UK?

PeterL
01-02-2007, 08:22
Hi,

I have a problem with my OM-4T(i): it focuses behind the subject. I also need a repair centre. Luton looks like a capable place, but I live in Belgium. Any ideas for a repair shop in Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany or France ? Worst case, I can send it to Luton.

Peter.

Spyderman
01-02-2007, 08:29
it focuses behind the subject

You can try removing the focussing screen, and then put it back again. It might just be incorrectly "seated". If that's not the case, I would leave it to someone who knows what they're doing. Good luck. I'm just waiting for my OM-4Ti from evilbay to arrive... :eek:

marcust101
01-19-2007, 04:40
Peter

I sent my om2 and my old om1 to Luton this week, I'll let you know how I get on

M

marcust101
02-14-2007, 00:18
The OM 2 and my much loved OM 1 have just come back from Luton Camera repairs in perfect order, I can't recommend these people highly enough, excellent service and manner. They have resurrected both cameras beautifully

A happy ending to the story