PDA

View Full Version : XA and A16 flash problems

BJ Bignell
12-05-2006, 07:08
I recently acquired a very nice, clean XA and A16 flash. They were in working order, but they have developed some unfortunate problems. :mad: I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

First, the flash: It got a little bit damp while I was out in the mini ice storm we had last weekend, and not realising this, I turned it on. It now makes a ferocious snap! sound at regular intervals, indicating that a capacitor is shorting out. Anyone here have any experience disassembling these things? Any advice, besides "don't lick capacitors"?

Second, the XA: This may or may not be related to too much moisture, but I noticed that the aperture blades don't close down automatically when selecting a smaller aperture. If I run the aperture selector from f4 to f22, the blades stop at f5.6 or f8, and I have to gently shake the camera, or tap it against my hand, to get the blades to move. Is this a common problem, and it is easy to fix?

Cheers,
BJ

BJ Bignell
12-05-2006, 07:18
I just downloaded the XA repair manual from the KY Photo site (http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/repairmanuals.html), and it has some ideas about the cause of the aperture sticking, so I know where to look. However, can someone comment on how easy/difficult this disassembly is?