PDA

View Full Version : Got my 1st roll developed!!!!!!!

Natalia
01-22-2005, 17:58
Well, guys, as some of you know I got my 1st rangefinder Yashica GSN a week ago and today I got my pix back.....

Here's the link to the rest in my gallery on pbase. Will be uploading more soon. Comments and red caviar are welcome! Here's a preview:

http://www.pbase.com/natalia/burning_film

digitalox
01-22-2005, 18:12
Nice shot!

Russ
01-22-2005, 19:27
Originally posted by LilRedSpy
Well, guys, as some of you know I got my 1st rangefinder Yashica GSN a week ago and today I got my pix back.....

Here's the link to the rest in my gallery on pbase. Will be uploading more soon. Comments and red caviar are welcome! Here's a preview:

http://www.pbase.com/natalia/burning_film

I wasn't aware that that camera had a self timer on it...

KK

Natalia
01-22-2005, 19:45
My little one does look like me, doesn't she?....Thanks, Russ.

digitalox
01-22-2005, 19:54
I'm still working on a first roll in a Petri 7s I aquired recently. I snagged my step-dad's old petri and failed to get it back together after attempting to dismantle it and fix its hazy lens. Well, I could probably get it back together but I don't think it would be the same. In the extremely unlikely event he asks for it back, I picked up this one. It looks brand new, whoever owned it took great care of it. Shutter speeds sounds good, everything works really well I don't think it got used very much at all.

Natalia
01-22-2005, 20:12
Originally posted by Brian Sweeney
The GSN has a sharp lens on it.

You right about that. Here's a 100%crop

peter_n
01-22-2005, 20:16
She's very cute Natalia! :)

Doug
01-22-2005, 20:29
Nice shots, Natalia; certainly much to pleased about!

Scott, which lens does your Petri have? I have my Dad's old Petri 7s, and after cleaning it up I was surprised at how nicely the results turned out.

rbiemer
01-22-2005, 20:44
Nice shots, beautiful model!
Rob

matu
01-24-2005, 08:16
Excelent pictures, I am glad every time I see people rediscovering the glamour of old rangefinders.
The photographs of the pbase gallery are great.

chenick
01-24-2005, 09:16
Great shots Natalia !! Must use my Yashica more!
BTW, what film did you use?

-Nick

JoeFriday
01-24-2005, 10:24
dang.. I need a band-aid.. those are almost too sharp!

I'm fascinated by the Cadillac photo in your gallery.. do you remember the configuration for that shot?

d30gaijin
01-24-2005, 11:07
Natalia,

Very nice!

What film and scanner did you use for these shots?

Thanks,
Don

Natalia
01-24-2005, 11:32
Thanks, guys. The color film was Fuji HQ 100 (expired by the way)...and for BW I used Kodak Professional 400 BW. I let Wal-Mart do the scanning. Not completely sattisfied though - there were lines across some photos...don't really know why.

Joe, for the Cadillac photo I just shot Yashica GSN wide open under incadescent lighting.

RubenBlaedel
01-24-2005, 11:50
the yashica is a great camera! but it looks like you will be doing brilliant pictures with what ever camera you hold - so thumbs of for you and for yashica :-)
ps you might have posted it - what did you end up paying for the GSN - ruben

JoeFriday
01-24-2005, 12:03
I've had the same problem with Walmart processing.. more common with B&W.. I won't go there any more

wait.. were the lines introduced in film processing or scanning?

d30gaijin
01-24-2005, 12:20
Originally posted by JoeFriday
I've had the same problem with Walmart processing.. more common with B&W.. I won't go there any more

Joe,

I've had that problem everywhere I go, with regards to scanning. I've tried camera specialty stores, photo processing specialty stores, professional labs (so-called) that are local, none seem able to make a decent scan consistently. One camear/photo shop was so bad looking at the results made me nostalgic for my hippy days in the late 1960's (good tripping). the scans were so out of whack in color and granulation that it reminded me of the background light shows at Filmore West when I saw Jimi Hindrix play for the first time, or at least what I remember of him playing. LOL!.

And that was the reason for my question. Guess I might have to break down and buy my own scanner. Surely I can do better than what I've seen coming out of local places.

Don

Borghesia
01-24-2005, 12:32
Wow Yashica Electro rocks ! That reminds me to put a roll in mine.

JoeFriday
01-24-2005, 12:34
being a graphic artist, I've had professional experience with scanners for over a decade, and do all my own scanning.. for a regular flatbed scanner, I'd probably recommend Microtek.. I hear the newer Epson's are nice, too

I personally use a Umax flatbed.. excellent scan quality.. but the customer service of the company is none existent, so I don't recommend them at all

I haven't ventured into film scanners yet, so I can't comment

Natalia
01-24-2005, 12:43
Originally posted by JoeFriday

Joe, I am glad you asked. I was beginning to think there was something wrong with my camera. My negs look really good, no lines, but the prints had higher contrast than needed and those unexplained lines... I wonder what would be the best bang for the $$$ neg. scanner?

Roman
01-24-2005, 12:51
Minolta Dual Scan IV! (At least that's what I want to buy soon...)
BTW, my 'el cheapo' Mediax 1800 also makes those lines, particularly when scanning dense B&W negs...

Roman

d30gaijin
01-24-2005, 12:54
Originally posted by Roman
Minolta Dual Scan IV! (At least that's what I want to buy soon...)

Roman

Roman,

I've been hearing that a lot lately, guess that's what I'll end up getting.

Don

Natalia
01-24-2005, 13:19
What about Pacific Image Prime-Film 3600, 3600 dpi, 35mm, Film Scanner ? It's only a few bucks more

JoeFriday
01-24-2005, 13:39
here's a review that says the Minolta is the better scanner

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=171

one thing to keep in mind with scanners.. the scanning resolution (DPI) isn't necessarily the most important factor.. also check the dMax number.. typically between 3.5 and 4.0.. the higher the number, the better.. that means there will be more contrast between black and white, while maintaining details.. and that's what most of us value in our photos, right?

Roman
01-24-2005, 13:57
Well, my 'el cheapo' Mediax 1800 is just one of many rebrands of the Pacific Image 1800 (sold also as Reflecta, Hama, etc.), and it really sucks - that's why I would not trust the 3600, which is the follow-up model...
On the other hand, I have quite good experiences with a friend's Dual Scan III, that's why I want to get the current DS IV (which seems to heve been improved manly with regard to handling - e.g. better negative carrier).

Roman

matu
01-24-2005, 14:40
I have an Epson Perfection 1670 (it's flatbed) with an accesory for Films. It isn't as good as a Dual Scan or somethin like that but for prints the size of a letter page is enough (at 300 dpi).
I develope my own films and I don't positivate them, so for me it's ok.
The problem is sharpness, and wether you are going to post a picture at the web or get it print at a photolab.
I have had to learn making many mistakes I fugure that every scanner and it software has it's own secrets. As always one must experiment.

Nikon Bob
01-24-2005, 15:07
If you are looking at film scanners check out the Minolta 5400. It is doing a good job for me. There are also the Nikon line of film scanners to consider.

Bob

GeneW
01-24-2005, 15:15
I own a Minolta 5400 and can agree that it's a fine scanner.

I recently purchased an Epson 4180 flatbed primarily for MF scanning and I'm truly amazed at how well it scans 35mm. It's not very expensive, and doubles as a very good flatbed scanner. You might want to check it out -- and you'd also be all set for when you purchase an Iskra! :D

Gene

d30gaijin
01-24-2005, 16:27
OK, I took the plunge and ordered a Minolta Dual Scan IV from B&H for $265 and shipping. The 5400 is, I am certain, much better, but not for me at twice the price of the Dual Scan IV since I'm just a photo hobbiest (my real passion is viewing projected slides). It should be here by the end of the week.

A new learning curve is coming up, which is a good winter time project for me.

btw, Lilred, I'm sorry. I didn't intentionally intend to take your thread so far off topic.

Natalia
01-24-2005, 16:47
d30gaijin, :) that's OK....I've learned some from what's been said.

Kris
01-24-2005, 16:59
Nat, the lines on your scan is probably introduced by neon tube of the scanner. I think you get that problem only if you use a flatbed scanner. I can't give anymore info but Oscar may be able to tell you more since he was the one pointing it out about a year ago when I just joined RFF.

Lets see if I can find that thread.

BTW, eventhough SD IV is a very good scanner, I would recommend Nikon Coolscan V or LS-50 for it's ICE. Getting rid of dust spots is very frustrating!

---Edit---

Found it! Here you go.
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=704

d30gaijin
01-24-2005, 17:38
Originally posted by Kris
BTW, eventhough SD IV is a very good scanner, I would recommend Nikon Coolscan V or LS-50 for it's ICE. Getting rid of dust spots is very frustrating!

The Nikon Coolscan V, At over twice the price of the SD IV simply for its software for dust spots, doesn't sound like that great of a deal to me. Or am I missing something? Of course, since I don't know a lot about scanners I probably am missing something. Hopefully I can find a less expensive alternative to dealing with dust spots.

Kris
01-24-2005, 17:47
Coolscan V here Down Under is only 50% or so more expensive than SDIV.

On top of ICE, it has 4000ppi resolution, LED based illumination which makes it better for scanning dense E-6 or C-41 films. SD IV is already struggling scanning Provia 100F. If you try scanning Velvia 50 or even Velvia 100F, you will definitely loose shadow details.

d30gaijin
01-24-2005, 18:25
Originally posted by Kris
Coolscan V here Down Under is only 50% or so more expensive than SDIV.

On top of ICE, it has 4000ppi resolution, LED based illumination which makes it better for scanning dense E-6 or C-41 films. SD IV is already struggling scanning Provia 100F. If you try scanning Velvia 50 or even Velvia 100F, you will definitely loose shadow details.

Kris,

Thank you for the additional info on the Coolscan V. I was hoping there was more to it than just the ICE software. Unfortunately, here in the US, the price differential is about 100% for the Coolscan V vs. the SD IV. And 4k ppi is nice but as I understand, that's really only important in making prints (correct me if I'm wrong because, as I said, I'm not up on scanner technology).

I have no intention of making any decent size prints from my scans. I don't have a printer and have no intention of buying one, other than maybe the little Epson stand alone 4x6 printer. If I want a large print I'll take my slide or negative to my local pro lab for a first generation print. They do seem able to handle that quite well.

My needs are simply for web based use. I like shooting film and would like to post some reasonable scans on this forum, or to send to friends/family. In that respect, I'm hoping the SD IV will meet my needs.

Best regards,

Don

Natalia
01-24-2005, 18:30
I am currently looking at Nikon Coolscan....Looks like something I'd go with, because of it's resolution power. It's either that or a nice camera for my hubby. I REALLY want us to go out shooting together. (I do go shooting guns with him ) :)

d30gaijin
01-24-2005, 18:49
Originally posted by LilRedSpy
I do go shooting guns with him :)

LilRed,

Well, if you and your husband ever get to Boise Idhao give a shout. My wife and I live on and manage the 60 acre local shooting range. I 'm a long range competitive rifle shooter... 800, 900, & 1000 yards. I shoot pistol too for fun but prefer the 1911 Colt.

Don

Roman
01-25-2005, 00:13
For traditional silver-based B&W films, scanners with cold-cathode light sources (like the DSIV) are usually considered better than those with LEDs (like the Coolscan); the Coolscans, while great for color negs and slides, are said to give really grainy B&W scans with lots of artifacts (no personal experience, though), and ICE can't be used on silver-based B&W negs, anyway - so a large part of the decision depends on what kinds of film you prefer!

Roman

Tim
01-25-2005, 04:04
I'll back Roman on that....I have the Coolscan IVED (picked it up cheap when the Coolscan V came out). It's GREAT for colour, the ICE works fantastic, and the quality of the scans is superb. Only so-so for B&W, my HP5 especially it exagerates the grain on.
All depends I guess, it's all compromises, at this level you're still talking very much "consumer" film scanners - no matter how scary the price seems to us!

tim

JoeFriday
01-26-2005, 14:49
Originally posted by d30gaijin
LilRed,

Well, if you and your husband ever get to Boise Idhao give a shout. My wife and I live on and manage the 60 acre local shooting range. I 'm a long range competitive rifle shooter... 800, 900, & 1000 yards. I shoot pistol too for fun but prefer the 1911 Colt.

Don

hey, I'd probably take you up on that offer, Don! but I doubt I'd be bringing my Kimber along

doubs43
01-26-2005, 15:00
"I 'm a long range competitive rifle shooter... 800, 900, & 1000 yards. I shoot pistol too for fun but prefer the 1911 Colt."

Don, it's too bad I didn't know that last Summer. My son did a Summer Internship with HP in Boise. He's a Gulf War I Infantry Vet (82nd AB Div.) and would have enjoyed the shooting. Maybe you could have gotten him interested in photography too.

Walker

kafrf
01-26-2005, 18:56
Originally posted by Tim
I'll back Roman on that....I have the Coolscan IVED (picked it up cheap when the Coolscan V came out). It's GREAT for colour, the ICE works fantastic, and the quality of the scans is superb. Only so-so for B&W, my HP5 especially it exagerates the grain on.

Tim, several of us have found that using Vuescan with Ilford film works well. The software that comes with the Nikon scanner doesn't handle Ilford film well, for some reason. C41 films scan very well with my Coolscan IV. The B&W prints in my gallery were all scanned with it.

Ken

tedwhite
02-03-2005, 16:48
I do all my own scanning, using an HP ScanJet 3570c. Then I make quite good 8X10's with an Epson 820 printer. Despite the fact that this is old stuff, both seem to work quite well.

Soon, weather and money permitting, I will buy a new Epson scanner and a new Epson printer that will be wider and allow me to print 11X14's. I would post some of my GSN photos but I am not a computer type and have been unable to figure out how to do it.

d30gaijin
02-03-2005, 17:06
"I 'm a long range competitive rifle shooter... 800, 900, & 1000 yards. I shoot pistol too for fun but prefer the 1911 Colt."

Don, it's too bad I didn't know that last Summer. My son did a Summer Internship with HP in Boise. He's a Gulf War I Infantry Vet (82nd AB Div.) and would have enjoyed the shooting. Maybe you could have gotten him interested in photography too.

Walker

Walker,

Just saw this today. Too bad is right! We could have had a good time since I've got extra target rifle that he could have used. On top of that, I live on and manage the only public rifle range here in Boise. If he ever gets out this way be sure to have him look me up, I'm not hard to find.

http://www.blackscreekrange.com

Best regards,

Don