PDA

View Full Version : what about these colors and look?

MP Guy
01-20-2005, 23:27
This is the updated version of the forum I will be using here. Colors can be changed. Don't worry. But, what do you think about these colors?

http://www.dslrexchange.com/forums/index.php?

MAke sure you look around.

rover
01-21-2005, 01:18
Score, 2 to 2

I voted yes.

st3ph3nm
01-21-2005, 02:01
I think it's pretty optimistic, Jorge. After all, you've got a bunch of luddites who think that stuff made in the '50's is where it's at, and you want 'em to CHANGE??!!!??!?:D :D

I didn't vote. I've come to realise that whilst change is necessary, I don't really like it that much. So do what you will, at least the guys will still be here, and that's what's cool about this place.

Cheers,
Steve

chenick
01-21-2005, 02:05
I prefer the black and grey... it is rather more distinctive, whereas that new colour scheme is a bit more generic and could be any forum.
Having said that, the colour scheme isn't the most important thing about the site!

-Nick

Brian Sweeney
01-21-2005, 02:23
I have grown quite fond of our current interface. The other reminds me of an old poem.

OOOeee GUI....

(OOOOWWWW I need to go have camera and coffee now)

taffer
01-21-2005, 02:40
Hehe, they remind me of the ones at TTLG http://www.ttlg.com/forums/ great site for thief fans but...

Nope, I still prefer our X-Pan skin, sorry :D

SolaresLarrave
01-21-2005, 03:11
I liked it. This is classy, the other one is cheerful.

But then, again, I'm all for change. I used to change the furniture around my room when I was a teen, and always enjoyed "new looks" on things.

That doesn't mean I don't like this format. It's nice and soothing.

Pherdinand
01-21-2005, 04:16
Jorge, it's your site, if you want to reach something, you have to be aggressive about it - just change it, we will stay anyway hehe. Voting is for sissies :)

back alley
01-21-2005, 04:58
i like the site the way it is now. it's perfect!
i don't care for the new software and i hate those colours!!

just my 2 cents...

joe

rover
01-21-2005, 05:11
I want to vote again. No, not changing my vote, I just want to vote yes again make that red bar move a little further right.

peter_n
01-21-2005, 05:13
I did it for you, Rover! :) Anything that is more legible is an improvement, so I voted for the change. Personally I don't care about the colors but I find this forum difficult to read.

Also while we're at it Jorge, the [IMG] tag doesn't seem to work. Instead of displaying an inline image, it displays an HTML link to that image.

Is it possible to have more scripting functionality? Like for example the ability to create tables in posts?

GeneW
01-21-2005, 05:45
The new look of the DSLRX site is very nice. Clean and crisp. I have no problem with RFF going in that direction.

Gene

SolaresLarrave
01-21-2005, 07:15
I'm with Peter in that I'd like to use the little HTML I know to link images instead of uploading them all the time (want to save you room, Jorge).

Otherwise, we must admit that you're an extremely considerate person. Asking us about the color scheme is very thoughtful from your part, and it's certainly appreciated.

Let's add one thing: no matter the changes, I'll keep hanging out here... in case you ever wondered. :)

MP Guy
01-21-2005, 08:06
I will ook into the img tags. As far as the other site goes, it has a lot of nifty features that this one lacks. It just take getting use to. I will try and improve the colors a little more over there to bring them here when peopke are happy. But I do like the cleaner crisp look.

wlewisiii
01-21-2005, 08:10
It's not bad and would certainly not drive me away, but for my eyes the current scheme here is just much more calming.

William

MP Guy
01-21-2005, 08:13
I fixed the image tags. on most of the foruums. I willdefinetly enable them on the new one.

g0tr00t
01-21-2005, 08:50
You are too cool to ask "us" what to do with "your" site. Very nice of you...I still don't like the brightness of the site.

I like this site. Its subdued and natural just like my RF's. Very pleasing to look at, kinda like finding a photograph of your parents when they were young. Its something you always go back to and think about..

Honu-Hugger
01-21-2005, 09:13
Originally posted by st3ph3nm
I think it's pretty optimistic, Jorge. After all, you've got a bunch of luddites who think that stuff made in the '50's is where it's at, and you want 'em to CHANGE??!!!??!?:D :D ...(snip)
Cheers,
Steve

Steve's comment contains more truth than he may have realized when he wrote it -- seemed to strike a chord within me, anyway:D :D I have no defense, guilty as charged!

D2

peter_n
01-21-2005, 10:23
Originally posted by Jorge Torralba
I fixed the image tags. on most of the foruums. I willdefinetly enable them on the new one. Thank you, Jorge. You are a scholar and a gentleman, and there are very few of us left! ;)

JoeFriday
01-21-2005, 11:50
Originally posted by chenick
I prefer the black and grey... it is rather more distinctive, whereas that new colour scheme is a bit more generic and could be any forum.
Having said that, the colour scheme isn't the most important thing about the site!

-Nick

exactly what I was thinking... altho if you want to change things.. you could chang the highlight colors, or change the logo at the top.. I'm sure there are tons of graphics people (myself included) who would be happy to offer their services if you feel you need assistance

nomade
07-04-2006, 00:08
i like it but what's the difference, i can see it's almost the same..

sf
07-04-2006, 00:43
we DID vote on this last week.

Actually, I see no difference between the status quo and your suggestion, Jorge. Maybe I should have looked harder.

If you want to change something about the RFF to give it some spice, try adding something major - like a chatroom or other currently non-existent object - to the forum.

I suggest making it easier to click on a user's screen name and come to a screen that allows you to both view their posts AND their gallery without searching through the gallery or going into the members list. One page should be reached for user info/etc when you click, for all applications from sales to postings to gallery. It would make things easier.

How about a poll thread that will allow people to suggest contests and other events. Then people could vote on the list after the thread closes. Do that weekly or monthly. Get a higher level of effective creativity in planning things and adding some action to the scene.

Animated avatars . . . ? Allowing for animated Gifs, etc.

I'll think of some other ones.

sf
07-04-2006, 00:46
Jorge, it's your site, if you want to reach something, you have to be aggressive about it - just change it, we will stay anyway hehe. Voting is for sissies :)

actually. . . . once a paying membership was offered, I think we gained voting rights. Not to be a jerk or anything, but that seems proper. Of course, there are many sites where that would not be the case - where you WOULDN'T have voting rights regardless of paying. But, RFF is special for its community aspects. Democracy is a good thing - especially in this case.

ClaremontPhoto
07-04-2006, 01:04
Animated avatars . . . ? Allowing for animated Gifs, etc.
I'll think of some other ones.

I agree with all that, but we do have animated avatars already.

How about some design consistency so all the links are the same and readily identifiable. We currently have some links that do this, and some that do this and some that do this, when you mouse over them, but nothing at all to show they are a link before you 'discover' that something just happened.

That green highlighting should also be replaced with something more harmonious with the look of the rest of the site. May I suggest links and mouse over links like this?

MelanieC
07-04-2006, 01:10
That green highlighting should also be replaced with something more harmonious with the look of the rest of the site. May I suggest links and mouse over links like this?

I like those colors in and of themselves, but they are a tad dark.

I love the neon green, but I really like green. As far as I'm concerned green goes with everything.

nomade
07-04-2006, 01:45
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOps :D

ClaremontPhoto
07-04-2006, 02:30
Plenty of people here use 50 year old cameras so why can't we use an 18 month old thread?

bcs89
07-07-2006, 18:22
Just my two cents, but in the classifieds, when you click on the sellers name all you get is their selling history (unless I'm missing something - if so, never mind) it would be more useful to see their forum history. I.E. how long have they been a member - how many post's, so on.To me at least, that is more telling then their classified history. IMHO

egpj
07-07-2006, 18:48
Didn't like it all that much but then I have been using the Mac colors for the past few days. Still too bright but I like how everything is laid out on that view.