PDA

View Full Version : Pass the Camera project

wblanchard
01-20-2005, 22:02
You know what sounds like fun? A Pass the Camera project.
An example: I take a picture with my Canon A35 F with 40mm 1:2.8 fixed lens and post it, then mail the camera to another member, etc....

If anyone would like to try this, let me know. I think it would be fun. After it gets completed and the camera gets back to me, maybe we could self publish a book and donate the proceeds to the Tsunami victims fund, Red Cross, or some Sailors and Soldiers fund.

What do you think?

nwcanonman
01-20-2005, 22:26
If you only take one pic, then post it, what about the rest of the roll of film?
Or, we could take a pic, send the camera (with the film in it) and the next guy/gal takes pic #2 and so on, so on .........
then when it gets to pic #36 he/she sends it back to you and you post all of them and the project begins for charity. A world traveling camera, that helps save the world!
That would be cool be me ~ ; - )

wblanchard
01-20-2005, 22:42
Originally posted by nwcanonman
If you only take one pic, then post it, what about the rest of the roll of film?
Or, we could take a pic, send the camera (with the film in it) and the next guy/gal takes pic #2 and so on, so on .........
then when it gets to pic #36 he/she sends it back to you and you post all of them and the project begins for charity. A world traveling camera, that helps save the world!
That would be cool be me ~ ; - )
Exactly..and since we have so many members..i could send it out again to the others (without me cheating and taking another pic)

nwcanonman
01-20-2005, 22:55
Let's DO IT !!!

nwcanonman
01-20-2005, 22:58
I mean, everyone here knows how to use (or owns one or more) Canonets, eh?
I remember, years ago, a school kid put an item in a box, sent it all over the planet with every country putting it new things. It got to be so cool.
Made all the news. The RFF could be famous - te he.
:rolleyes:

wblanchard
01-20-2005, 23:03
Sounds good. Everyone involved in this project would need to decide which black and white film we should use, and if there should be a particular theme to the photos. What do you think?
This is open to overseas members too...I mail stuff overseas all the time and my camera wouldn't cause any VAT expenses. :-)

thmk
01-20-2005, 23:32
Very nice idea. If the project will make it over the sea to Europe I would contribute. A general theme would bring a red thread into it. Concerning film I vote for Tri-X or Neopan 400.

nwcanonman
01-20-2005, 23:33
My vote would be for something easy like Ilford XP2, great latitude and process anywhere.
I would think letting each RFF member follow his/her heart, rather than follow others "theme".
JMHO.

wblanchard
01-20-2005, 23:38
I like the Neopan 400 film suggestion too.

RubenBlaedel
01-20-2005, 23:48
may I suggest that you get a sponsor for this project like UPS or FedEx I is rather expensive to send cameras overseas
May I suggest that the projects ends up with at least 100 pictures and that the pictures ends up scanned printed and framed to be auctioned for amnesty international, medicins sans frontieres or the red cross - I could imagine one of the large art collecting internationall adagencys buying the whole 100 prints

thmk
01-20-2005, 23:51
Hm, if there will be no theme ... Should one know what subject has been taken by all others before? Or should it be a surprise, what comes out? Then you could really follow your heart without influence :)

wblanchard
01-20-2005, 23:56
Ruben, how about Doctors without Borders...? http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/about/

I just realized you mentioned them. :o

I'm a professional web designer, so I could offer my services and create a site once this is completed.

Allen Gilman
01-21-2005, 01:09
I'm over in Tokyo but I would be more than happy to participate - sounds fun!

Pherdinand
01-21-2005, 01:16
Hey, i thought about stg similar when i was selling my Yashica TLR to Taffer...to put a half-full roll and he'll complete it...

Good idea, however the shipping companies will be the most helped by such a "charity" action!

Pherdinand
01-21-2005, 01:19
Also, think about the problem of x-raying the camera at airports. For a 400-speed neg, a few times is no problem...but 30 times might accumulate alot

Sorry to seem negative - in fact, i am not!:)

thmk
01-21-2005, 02:01
Good point Pherdinand. But aren't there special anti-X-ray bags out there? I know that they are mostly useless if you have your films in it while travelling because of hand-checking then. But in a parcel that might be a bit different.

rover
01-21-2005, 02:15
This is a great idea guys. Run with it and I would love to contribute a view of Connecticut in your finished product.

Stu :)
01-21-2005, 02:22
Cool idea. Can me here in New Zealand play a part?

aizan
01-21-2005, 02:27
this reminds me of a similar project done for an issue of shift! http://www.shift.de/scripts/publications/detail.php?ID=8

i'm game, though may i suggest each person shooting one roll of film instead of just one shot?

taffer
01-21-2005, 04:28
Originally posted by Pherdinand
Hey, i thought about stg similar when i was selling my Yashica TLR to Taffer...to put a half-full roll and he'll complete it...

Good idea, however the shipping companies will be the most helped by such a "charity" action!

In fact Brian did that with his Nikon F2 when he sent it here :)

That sounds like a fantastic project guys ! The idea of a frame per person is nice, but the one of a whole roll is nicer, mainly if you consider the idea of a contact sheet.

A sort of 'Canonet visits Paris' sequence or whatever, could be cool !

It would involve shooting the 36 (or 24) frames in a continuous way, while (for example) a walk trough your favorite zone of your own place ?

What do you think ?

Pherdinand
01-21-2005, 05:06
Yes, a full roll might be more feasable. It solves the x-ray problems and also, it's not like if you screw that single frame of yours up, you are out (think about accidents like forgetting to remove the lens cap heheh)
There are also rolls with 12 frames only, by the way. But i agree, the film type should be the same, the camera and lens should be the same, preferably the processing should be the same too (two possibilities: using chromogenic BW neg, or somebody developing all the films himself. Any volunteers?)
By the way, - i also would like to participate, of course :)

If we have the list of folks, we can optimize it in order to reduce shipping costs and time as much as possible.

FrankS
01-21-2005, 05:33
Great idea! Count me in.

thmk
01-21-2005, 05:36
Me too.

back alley
01-21-2005, 06:04
i'm in too!

maybe one 24 roll of xp2, we have to forward the camera after having it for 1 week.

joe

GermanB
01-21-2005, 06:20
If southamerica is elegible I'd like to participate!!!

you guys have awesome ideas!!

GermanB
01-21-2005, 06:48
there's another concern if you spend 1 week per participant then there has to be a limit in the number of participants or the project would take a loooong time to finish, even more, the mail time also counts.

I'm not negative either but practical. :)

GeneW
01-21-2005, 07:00
Interesting idea, though the logistics are difficult.

A couple of ideas come to mind:

- more than one cam: keeping each cam regional for easier/quicker/cheaper posting

- maybe disposable 35mm cams: no harm done if it comes to harm. Last person on the list gets the negs processed

- gathering all the scanned images together at the end

This reminds me of postal chess :D

Gene

nwcanonman
01-21-2005, 07:19
This is just a question. With as many members that are on this list, if only 1/3rd participated would 36 pics each be an LOT of photos to deal with?
Sounds burdonsome. Just curious.

wblanchard
01-21-2005, 07:25
Okay..here is more on the project.
1. 50 participant limit.
2. 1 roll of XP2 Super for each person. We all shoot a roll and have a contact sheet. 2 images from each person will be selected overall by us after seeing all the images posted on a website. For the prints we should have the film developed and put onto black and white paper for the best results from this film.
3. We all use the same camera. This project wouldn't be much of a novelty idea if we don't actually mail the camera to one another.
4. One or more of our members involved who have darkroom skills can volunteer to develop the film and contact sheets.
5. This is open to International members of our forum too. In fact I would mail the camera overseas first and pay for the shipping to start the ball rolling.
6. I've been in contact with Borders without Doctors and they are excited about the project and possibly helping us soon with sponsorship. I will let you know more when I hear more.
7. Anyone interested should email me at [email protected] with their name, username, and contact email.
8. Camera used is a Canon A35 F "Nighter" with a 40mm 1:2.8 lens. Here is a page with the camera info by a friend of mine: http://home20.inet.tele.dk/sylvest/indexCANONA35.html and here http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/1976-1986/data/1978_a35f_s.html

GeneW
01-21-2005, 07:29
Sounds fun. Sign me up!

Might be an idea to work out a logical exchange flow ahead of time -- e.g., all Canadian, all US, all European, all Australian, etc., participants, in a batch sequence to keep shipping costs tame.

Gene

impact07
01-21-2005, 08:01
Sounds like fun. Count me in.

I think 1 shot per person is the way to go. 1 week is too much time. It's only one shot. 2 days max then send it on. If we have too many participants, just have someone throw in another camera. We should also consider having the cams be rangefinders instead of throw aways. We are bound to have some extra RFs around that we would be willing to risk. I know I have a few!

wlewisiii
01-21-2005, 08:05
I'm game.

I vote for the one shot per person idea - I think that it would add a certain element of discipline and excitement to the concept. And I do prefer the idea of the camera being some form of RF because of our shared interest. Perhaps one of the FSU cameras with a Jupiter-8?

edit: I read the link above and see that the proposed Canon is an RF, so that's more than good enough for me.

William

back alley
01-21-2005, 08:32
one shot seems so...limited.

i think there's a difference between discipline and masochism, one shot would drive me a bit up the wall i think.

joe

RML
01-21-2005, 09:15
What's XP2? B&W film? Yugh! :p

A turnover time of 2 days seems way to short. I can't even go to the post office that quickly as I (and most of us, I reckon) work from early morning (up at 4.30am) till late in the afternoon (back home by 5 or 6pm).

I like the idea very much but I see many practical difficulties.

Another idea we could do as a RFF project after the pass-the-camera project has "ended" (50 partakers x 2 days = already 100 days. Count in an average of 2-7 days for the postal system to catch up with us and we're talking about 6-12 months!), would be to hold a one-time PAW where every participating member takes 1 or more shots on the same day, say a saturday. These can than be posted some time (1 week, 1 month?) later here on RFF. All together these shots will show a day-in-the-life of RFF worldwide....
...Come to think of it, this sounds like it's been done before, though I can't remember who, where or when. :(

back alley
01-21-2005, 09:22
if we look at this as a never-ending project then we can edit out the time factors. we pass the camera and process our own roll of film. pass the camera on. we can post our shots all on one thread or create a section just for this excercise.

keep it simple.

see how long we can 'pass the camera'.

joe

digitalox
01-21-2005, 09:33
I'm in if we can work out all these logistics!

Honu-Hugger
01-21-2005, 09:58
Count me in, as well -- great idea!

I'm home with a cold today and didn't have the focus to read through all the logistics but I'll assist in any way possible with that, too.

D2

lkgroup
01-21-2005, 09:59
I think this is a great idea. I would be up for a whole roll and contact sheet with the group picking a picture for a book or exhibit.

Great project let me know how this progresses.

Leo

Northwest Washington

Rob
01-21-2005, 10:18
this was done some years back with a group of Argus collectors..
I read it somewhere, not sure what the final result was...
Maybe some googling would turn it up.

Allen Gilman
01-21-2005, 10:52
ya gotta love the internet!

I like the idea of taking the two best shots off of the contact sheet. If the end product is to have an exhibition, then it might be good to have each photog print his/her photo or have it done to his/her specs at a lab. But if the end product is a book, then each image will have to be scanned so why not just send in scanned images prepared by each participant. Same camera but distinctive photos bearing each photog's signature.

All in all, it's a cool idea. I agree that turnaround time should be pretty fast.

Interested to see the direction this takes...

Roman
01-21-2005, 13:21
Yóu can count me in as well, if we can get this going...

Roman

nikon_sam
01-21-2005, 13:44
I would love to get in on this project...count me in.
How about this...each one shoots 5 frames on the roll in the camera (normal amount for cutting film to fit sleeves and for contact printing)
When the roll is done you mail it to whom ever will be processing it. There will be a spare roll in the box at all times and if someone can supply an exact roll locally then you add it to the box...therefore the film doesn't get exposed to too many xrays and there is the same film being used. You know that somewhere someone won't be able to find the same film so we add it when we can or need to. And the film will be stored in a safety bag.
I like the idea of using the same camera...this is the novelty of the project.
You can make one print from the five exposure BUT in the back of the book you show all of the shots in the form of a contact sheet.
This really sounds like fun!!!

st3ph3nm
01-21-2005, 17:43
I like the idea, count me in! I'd suggest that a couple of guys pitch in together at each end to get it over an ocean - so for instance, Stu, Tim, Kris, Mourges & I could shoot it back to the states or Europe and divvy the cost between us. It'd work fine.
(Get it here for April and we can hand the camera over in person to the sheepfarmer) :D

Cheers,
Steve

digitalox
01-21-2005, 17:57
How about we start a sign up sheet, which also includes our point of origin, so we can plan the shipping exactly. Once we have everyone who wants to participate we can decide the order and minimize the number of trips it takes overseas (minimizing shipping costs). Then we can reach a final decision on film, # of shots, etc. Lets get a feel for exactly how many will participate and from how many countries.

digitalox
01-21-2005, 18:06
Go here to sign up

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=38462#post38462

After every one has signed, we can make a matrix of users/countries and plan the order at least.

If every one thinks its a good idea of course. Just trying to get the ball rolling.

Regards,

CleverName
01-21-2005, 20:11
Originally posted by RML
Another idea we could do as a RFF project after the pass-the-camera project has "ended" ... would be to hold a one-time PAW where every participating member takes 1 or more shots on the same day, say a saturday.

I like this idea too. We could start a thread or set up a gallery called "March, 23rd, noon" (or any random date). Any member who wanted to would take a photo of whatever they wanted at that exact time.

digitalox
01-21-2005, 22:18
Not a bad idea either RML, Clever. It changes the flavor quite a bit but I like it. It does solve much of the logistical issues.

RML
01-22-2005, 02:01
No need for either this idea or the other. We can do both.

I like the pass-the-camera idea but I'm not into shoting B&W at all. I know just about enough of Efke KB100 to get some decent results, and have some little experience i developing Efke in Rodinal but I wouldn't know how to get decent results or how to process XP2. Printing anything would be out of the question anyway unless an inkjet print would suffice. :) Anyway, I'm much more comfortable using colour neg film. I assume there are others who have similar (logistical, financial, photographical) doubts, so another project idea could be set up for them.

Now, shall I sign up for the pass-the-camera project or wait for another project idea to come by...? :)

rover
01-22-2005, 02:23
I want to see Amsterdam, go sign up Remy!!!

Click the shutter a couple times and send the camera on to someone else. As long as you don't hit the end of the roll the next guy will deal with the processing.

RML
01-22-2005, 03:34
OK, rover. I'll sign up.

What am I getting myself into now?! :)

01-22-2005, 05:23
Originally posted by st3ph3nm
(Get it here for April and we can hand the camera over in person to the sheepfarmer) :D

Cheers,
Steve

OI!...
All the farmers in my family where dairy farmers, thank you very much.

Other than that, I second Steve's idea. Us "down-unders" combine postage costs to get it from US, then onto where ever... perhaps Singapore?

digitalox
01-22-2005, 08:27
You can't process XP2 yourself unless your set up to process to c-41 film. I think its harder to process than the regular B&W Film because the tolerances for temperature variation are smaller and the chemicals are more noxious. I don't know if noxious really a word, but I used it anyway.

RML
01-22-2005, 08:53
So, one could drop off a roll of XP2 at a one-hour lab?

FrankS
01-22-2005, 09:25
Originally posted by RML
So, one could drop off a roll of XP2 at a one-hour lab?

That is correct, Remy.

RML
01-22-2005, 11:25
Than, if I have to get the film developed and/or printed, at least I won't be out of my depths. :)

nwcanonman
01-22-2005, 11:43
I emailed the USPS customer service to ask if their equipment would cause harm to photo film and if we could use a lead bag to protect it. Their "non" responce was:
"Thank you for visiting our website. We received your inquiry regarding the mailing of a camera. Marking a box "Do Not X-Ray" or placing it in a lead bag will not forgo the X-Raying of a mail piece, and may result in the item being considered suspicious"

DUH! Hell I'll use Fed-Ex then.

GermanB
01-22-2005, 14:59
Originally posted by wblanchard
[B]Okay..here is more on the project.
7. Anyone interested should email me at [email protected] with their name, username, and contact email.

Im confused :confused: sign up by mail or poll ?
anyway I did both.

digitalox
01-22-2005, 19:15
Seems the remaining logistical issues are:

1) If disposable cameras don't win, the film to use. ( at least the choices are much less. And different cameras are available in different parts of the world. )

2) If reg RFs win, again which film.

3) If reg RFs win, who will provide the camera?

4) How many pictures will each person take?

Maybe we could just keep taking polls for each of these. See how it all pans out and how many sign up. The list grows fast! We should probably keep taking sign ups at least through Monday, Some people only have internet access at work.

nwcanonman
01-22-2005, 19:43
The threads originator ( wblanchard) offered his Canon A35F.

It would seem easiest to use a C41, like XP2 or Kodaks 400.

Shooting a roll and forwarding the best two (4"x6" prints?) seems sensible (no posting of unexposed film).

Watchca' all think ??

Todd.Hanz
01-22-2005, 19:54
I offer 2 Yashica GSN's if needed, one could be passed around North/South America, etc. and another to the otherside of the pond!

Todd

Allen Gilman
01-22-2005, 20:10
Why not have everyone shoot a film of their own choice, developed how they want to, and then have other forum members choose the best shot or 2 from the roll? I think the charm of this idea lies in the fact that the same camera was used but it would be very interesting to see the different results according to each photog.

rbiemer
01-22-2005, 21:31
I think this is a great idea!
My 2 cent worth:
If we're mailing a camera with film in it it should NOT be put into one of those lead bags because the operator of the scanning machine will just crank up the x-rays until he/she can "see" what's inside the bag, by which time the film is fried.
I like the idea of one shot on a roll and send the camera to the next person on the list.
B&W or color film--I don't have a preference but it should be the same for all the shots. Easier when it comes to processing and printing.
I have a Kiev 4a that I'm not using and would be happy to lend it for this project.
I think one person should be incharge of the images(process and scan or print) once again in the interest of consistency of results--one less variable to worry about.
Rob

andrew
01-22-2005, 21:41
I second Allan's suggestion - I worked for a year processing c-41 and b/w film all day long in a couple of big (walk-in) dip and dunk machines and c-41 b/w films (kodak and ilford) just can't push or pull the way any b/w film can - it gets really ugly really fast. But I'm pretty ignorant about scanning films, so maybe they're better than I think.

I'd vote for tri-x or hp5, but I'm up for trying anything. I think both projects (camera-a-go-go and the one where everyone shoots whatever, whereever at the same time) sound like a lot of fun.

FrankS
01-24-2005, 09:36
Here's my $0.02:

One camera, (not 2 or 3 or 4.) That is the unifying theme. It is this that makes this project special.

We could approach Leica (or Zeiss or Nikon, or Voightlander) to ask for a loaner RF camera for the project in return for the publicity.

Send only the camera around. Each photog. can buy the type of film they want, and are responsible for the processing, printing, and scanning. (all part of the creative process and "artistic control")

Each photog chooses 1 or 2 pics (however many are required for the project given the number of participants) alone or with the help of other RFF members

If desired, each photographer's contact sheet of their film can be used in another section of the book.

nwcanonman
01-24-2005, 12:12
Originally posted by FrankS
Here's my $0.02:

One camera, (not 2 or 3 or 4.) That is the unifying theme. It is this that makes this project special.

We could approach Leica (or Zeiss or Nikon, or Voightlander) to ask for a loaner RF camera for the project in return for the publicity.

Send only the camera around. Each photog. can buy the type of film they want, and are responsible for the processing, printing, and scanning. (all part of the creative process and "artistic control")

Each photog chooses 1 or 2 pics (however many are required for the project given the number of participants) alone or with the help of other RFF members

If desired, each photographer's contact sheet of their film can be used in another section of the book.
Frank,
I'm with you. The only thing I have doubts about are the camera makers letting "us" ship their camera all over the world. We'll probably just use one of our generous member's camera :)

FrankS
01-24-2005, 12:57
We could also enlist the services of a shipping company (FedEx, UPS) in exchange for publicity, so that shipping would be secure and acceptable to the camera company. I say aim high and see what you get. Participants could all contribute a certain amount (to be calculated) and there could be a draw for the loaner camera which the camera company (I hope it's Leica) would sell to us at a reduced cost once the project is finished. We should not underestimate the legitimacy which this RFF site affords us! It costs nothing to ask.

nwcanonman
01-24-2005, 13:40
FrankS,
Well, that's our Search and Rescue team's motto, "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst". It would be nice to have assistance from the Big Guys!
Having been called a basturd so many times, I still feel illegitimate - LOL.

24x30
01-24-2005, 14:24
I like the idea of a film which shows images from different members at different locations ... if everybody takes his own film, everybody can also take his own camera ... nobody knows

I like also the whole idea itself :), but a theme (common anchor) would be nice.

what do you think?

/rudi

digitalox
01-24-2005, 14:24
So, who is going to ask :). Anyone here got some friends/relatives at Leica?

24x30
01-24-2005, 14:29
Would also be nice tracing the cam here at the forum ...

/rudi

FrankS
01-24-2005, 15:35
Has anyone got a GPS to send along with the camera? I mean something that will transmit its location.

nwcanonman
01-24-2005, 16:03
Originally posted by FrankS
Has anyone got a GPS to send along with the camera? I mean something that will transmit its location.
Oh man! If the lead-bag idea had the Post Office upset, can you imagine what a transmitter would do to the security freaks???
Of course, you could send it UPS and get on-line Tracking of everywhere it goes ~ ; - )
;)

FrankS
01-24-2005, 17:06
"Of course, you could send it UPS and get on-line Tracking of everywhere it goes ~ ; - )"

That's what I'm talking about, get one of those shipping companies to sponsor us!

And get a RF camera manufacturing company to loan us a camera for the project. Maybe Nikon will ante up one of their new models for publicity's sake. Get different companies to compete with each other for the priviledge of sponsoring us! We can say, "Nikon will likely loan us a RF camera, but we'll go with your company (Leica) instead if you donate the camera once the project is finished and we'll raffle it off, proceeds going to Tsunami relief." Think grandiose!

RML
01-24-2005, 21:53
Uuuuh! Yes, can we go for the Nikon SP 2005?! Please?! Please?!

nwcanonman
01-24-2005, 22:01
And we'll have to sign for it upon delivery you know? LOL.

thmk
01-25-2005, 01:13
Wasn't there a rumour that the Nikon will only be for collectors? ;)

RML
01-25-2005, 01:38
From now on I'm a collector, especially of Nikon RF cameras. I don't have any yet but that could change rapidly. :)

taffer
01-25-2005, 02:34
Didn't Zeiss said 'back with passion', where's more passion than on a world running camera, taking pics of a zillion places, travelling without rest, being used by so many different hands and still demonstrating its quality on a tough real life test like this one ? can you think on a better propaganda for the legendary Leica competitor !?

I VOTE FOR THE ZEISS IKON

If it ever gets released, that is :p

PS: OTH, think about what a fiasco if the camera falls apart between the hands of one of us... :P Then Zeiss would have to buy our silence... with a Leica probably ! :D

Pherdinand
01-25-2005, 03:27
Zeiss Ikon it should be! :D

GermanB
01-26-2005, 09:05
FrankS is rigth why not to try?

Definitely Zeiss Ikon ! :)

nwcanonman
01-26-2005, 10:19
So who has an uncle working at Zeiss Ikon?
~ ; - )

BJ Bignell
01-26-2005, 10:42
FrankS: Your GPS idea is EXCELLENT. Every participant could mark the co-ordinates of the photo they take, and even their home - proof that it travelled. Link all those spots up on a map... Wow!

That'd be another great sponsorship opportunity as well.

nwcanonman
01-26-2005, 17:15
Bignell,
Well, GPS is a receiver. So unless it was hooked up to a Ham radio transmitter - APRS - you'd only know where it's been after someone downloaded it later.
More real time would just be have each member post here when he received it and when he sent it and to whom/where.

nwcanonman
01-26-2005, 17:17
I'm getting "antsie", I might just pick someone who's address I know and just send out my spare Yashica GT !!!

BJ Bignell
01-27-2005, 07:48
nwcanonman,

You're right: I wasn't implying that we'd automatically know where it was as it travelled, but rather that people would have to record and post their details for us before sending the camera off.

thmk
01-30-2005, 10:46
Ok, many ideas and many sign-ups. So lets get the things rolling and find the way... :)

thmk
02-03-2005, 13:41
Ok, it's me again... What comes next? Last signup was at 31/01 so we could proceed...

digitalox
02-03-2005, 14:29
Someone needs to take the helm or this will never get off the ground... Preferably one the old timers ;)

JoeFriday
02-03-2005, 14:46
the GPS idea is pretty neat, but I'm not convinced it would be very practical.. they can be kinda confusing to operate

I also like the idea of 'one camera - one roll of film'.. it would give the end result a randomness that I find appealing

as for a theme.. we could require that every photo contain a garden gnome.. ever see the movie 'Amelie'?

BJ Bignell
02-03-2005, 15:35
Amélie was an excellent movie... but I don't know about the garden gnome idea. Unless we send a garden gnome with the camera:

One camera, one roll of film, one garden gnome! :D

Roman
02-04-2005, 03:31
I also liked Amelie, but I think they 'borrowed' the travelling garden gnome idea from an Austrian photographer who used to travel around the world with a pair of plastic penguins, and made pictures of them in far-away places (one of the penguins was wearing a plastic Leica copy around his neck...)

Roman

Allen Gilman
02-04-2005, 05:29
Please - no themes!!

Krasnaya_Zvezda
02-04-2005, 06:58
I don't see that there is the definitive decision on the format of this project yet, so here is yet another suggestion, close to some others, but well, here it is:

Pass one camera around. We agree in advance on one type of film to be used, something available worldwide and easily processed (I would vote for Tri-X or a C41 BW). Each person buys a roll, the camera comes to you empty, you have 3 days to shoot before you pass the camera along, unloaded. You process your roll, and choose 1 shot to contribute, uploaded to a designated common site. This keeps the continuity of one camera, one film, one shot without problems of xray fogging, who gets stuck with the roll when it runs out, etc. And no themes, please. Leave the choice of content up to the shooter.
My 2 rubles worth.

FrankS
02-04-2005, 08:08
I agree with KZ, one camera, 3 days, each photog chooses 1 pic from their own roll of film.

st3ph3nm
02-04-2005, 14:43
Well, I've got a Konica C35 which is a little damaged (can't focus it really close, the lens has had a ding, once) but seems to work fine. What batteries do these little jiggers take? I'll run a test roll through it, if you guys like, and it'd be a perfect donor camera - it doesn't even need to come back to me.

I'll start testing as soon as I get it going...

Cheers,
Steve

CleverName
02-04-2005, 14:58
I think they 'borrowed' the travelling garden gnome idea from an Austrian photographer who used to travel around the world with a pair of plastic penguins

The book is "Joe and Sally A Long Way From Home" by Willy Puchner. I bought it up many years ago from one of those "steal me" discount racks at the mall. It is a really good book, funny and has great photos. I've actually been scouting locations for a similar project using Quebrado, my concrete donkey with a broken ear. But I guess now everybody will think I stole the idea from "Amelie", even though I actually stole it from Willy Puchner.

sfaust
02-04-2005, 18:30
Count me in too. I love the idea. I also like the 3 day, 1 roll, pick your best and send it along. No themes, etc. I also have any of the following if you need a donor camera: Canon QL-17 GIII, Vivitar 35ES, Konica S3, or Yashica Electro 35cc.

If it helps, I can host the website and collect the images and post them on-line in both a public low resolution verision, and a high res private version for the participants. I can also create a web page similar to the one at www.CypressMediaWorks.com to display the images.

Just let me know if you want any of these resources made available. But either way, if theres room, count me in.

FrankS
02-04-2005, 18:41
Looks like all we need is someone with time on their hands (I don't!) to lead this project. Anyone interested?

Krasnaya_Zvezda
02-04-2005, 20:13
I'm not exactly living the life of the idle rich here, but I'd be happy to contribute somehow. As I see it, what we need is:
1) Final list of those involved, with mailing addresses: I would volunteer for the logistical task of compiling the list, and coming up with the route for the camera to take.

2) A decision on the film to be used. Suggestions have mostly been for BW, with Neopan 400 getting several mentions, along with Tri-X, HP5, and unspecified C41 BW. There were suggestions for color films, but no specifics that I noticed.

3) The question of sponsorship. I personally have no problem with paying to ship the camera on, you only have to do it once, so it won't be that much. Organizing sponsorship might take forever, knowing how the corporate world works.

4) A decision on the camera, there are several here who have volunteered theirs.
I looked thru the entire thread, and came up with this list of possible donors (forgive me if I have missed anyone):

wblanchard (who started this whole thing) offered a Canon A35 F "Nighter"
Todd.Hanz offered a Yashica GSN
rbiemer has a Kiev 4a available
nwcannonman has a Yashica GT for use
st3ph3nm offered a Konica C35
sfaust has the following available: Canon QL-17 GIII, Vivitar 35ES, Konica S3, Yashica Electro 35CC

5) sfaust has also volunteered the web hosting for the images, so that part is taken care of.

I think we need a small panel of long time members here (of which I am not one) to decide on the camera and film. Whoever has the donor camera can start the whole thing off from their location,and as I said, I'll be glad to come up with the mailing list.
FrankS, you appear to be a long standing and respected member of this group, perhaps you could knock heads with a few willing others in order to finalize this, and make these decisions?

digitalox
02-04-2005, 21:11
Perhaps we could put the remaining issues to vote? Perhaps there is someway to limit voting to only those participating

st3ph3nm
02-04-2005, 21:21
At the risk of causing any offence:

Bugger the vote, we've got the list on the sign up thread, I think the idea of everyone putting a roll through is probably the best, as this has two distinct advantages:
1. You're not at all limited to someone else's favourite film, and
2. We'll see more diversity with a combination of film speeds, colour/b&w, etc.

So here's the deal: It'll take me a week or so (with current committments) to get a damaged C35 checked out and sorted for this, and so if nothing else happens, I'll run a roll through it (once I've sorted batteries) and start at this end. If someone else wants to start elsewhere and earlier, I have no problem, just let me know - just about any camera is better for the job than this one, except that this one is worth nothing, which is a bit of a plus.

Cheers,
Steve
(hey, Aussies here - does Tandy sell hearing aid batteries?)

st3ph3nm
02-04-2005, 21:26
I forgot to mention: It seems to me the best place to show the photos (at least short term) is to just put a project gallery together here at RFF.

'nuff from me.

Cheers,
Steve

Krasnaya_Zvezda
02-04-2005, 22:09
At the risk of causing any offence:

Bugger the vote, we've got the list on the sign up thread, I think the idea of everyone putting a roll through is probably the best, as this has two distinct advantages:
1. You're not at all limited to someone else's favourite film, and
2. We'll see more diversity with a combination of film speeds, colour/b&w, etc.

Cheers,
Steve
(hey, Aussies here - does Tandy sell hearing aid batteries?)

I might point out, Steve, that a large part of the idea here seems to be to maintain some commonality, one camera, one film, one shot--- as if we literally passed the same camera with an infinitely long roll of film in it, from one hand to the next. I argue for a consensus on one film to be used by all, I don't personally care what it is, be it Tri-X, Fortepan, or Bluefire Police, whatever, the individual photographer's vision is the thing, all portrayed thru the same medium.

st3ph3nm
02-04-2005, 22:33
Okay, good point.

Well, as I've said, we've got about a week while I check out this silly little camera and make sure it's good to go. If someone could quickly put together a poll on some of the ideas presented in this thread, we could quickly (over the next few days) vote on film/format/etc. and then no-one can be considered steamrolling.

I'd set up the poll myself, but I've got a few time constraints as it is, this week.

Cheers,
Steve

Russ
02-05-2005, 06:23
Well, I've got a Konica C35 which is a little damaged (can't focus it really close, the lens has had a ding, once) but seems to work fine. What batteries do these little jiggers take? I'll run a test roll through it, if you guys like, and it'd be a perfect donor camera - it doesn't even need to come back to me.

I'll start testing as soon as I get it going...

Cheers,
Steve

That rig takes the "Wein" cell. (old Mercury cell replacement) Pretty cheap, and I'll slap a new one in it, before sending it to the next recipient.

Russ

GeneW
02-05-2005, 07:24
I agree with KZ, one camera, 3 days, each photog chooses 1 pic from their own roll of film.
This sounds clean, simple, and doable.

Gene

FrankS
02-05-2005, 07:45
If we want to go with all the same film, I would suggest a C41 chromogenic type like Ilford or Kodak that can be processed by any drugstore/supermarket fim minilab. This would make it doable for those photogs who do not process their own.

I guess good poll questions would be: same type of film, or photog's choice of film? and if the same film, colour or B+W?

I would vote for the same type of film to be used by all, to give greater continuity, like KZ said, an infinite long roll of film in the same camera passing between us around the world.

There was an offer a while ago of a Leica M2 to use to pass around. Let's consider that!

Allen Gilman
02-05-2005, 08:17
I would vote for the photographer to use their own type of film. Those who develop can do their own film, those who don't can take it in to a lab. But I'm curious to know why continuity in images would be desired. This would be an international project w/ a diversity of photographers so why not embrace that diversity? The tie here is just the simple yet charming idea of using the same camera passed around the world. I, for one, would appreciate the leniency of shooting according to my own style (including my own film preferences, processing, and printing). This is a far-fetched comparison, but could you imagine Magnum doing something similar and requiring everyone to shoot a specific color film, or the opposite? Alex Webb says he sees in color; Cartier-Bresson would scoff at the idea of shooting in color (I imagine). Why not respect those differences - it would certainly be interesting to see what different results could originate from using the same camera. That's my two cents. But, the real question is: will this thing get off the ground?

Russ
02-05-2005, 08:28
[QUOTE=Allen Gilman]I would vote for the photographer to use their own type of film. Those who develop can do their own film, those who don't can take it in to a lab. But I'm curious to know why continuity in images would be desired. This would be an international project w/ a diversity of photographers so why not embrace that diversity? The tie here is just the simple yet charming idea of using the same camera passed around the world. I, for one, would appreciate the leniency of shooting according to my own style (including my own film preferences, processing, and printing). QUOTE]

I agree. Let each shooter, shoot the images in the way that he or she see's and feel's them. I also think that Frank should donate his Hexar AF and Mamiya 6 for this project :D

Russ
8701 NE 54th St #G-5
Vancouver, WA 98662

sfaust
02-05-2005, 08:29
I agree that RFF is the easiest place to put the photos up. But I feel there is a great advantage to hosting it separately and link back to RFF as needed.

One, it will allow the images to be very customized in their presentation. We would be able to put text anywhere we want, frame the photos nicely, add drop shadows, signatures, etc, and have the whole image and site work together to present a very elegant presentation. This would all be lost going through the RFF galleries.

Secondly, the navigation of the RFF galleries is not intuitive. A specific web site can be made very easy to navigate, use thumbnails, links, etc.

It would also will be searchable in places like google and alta vista, which will also widen the audience and give it more exposure. Links could also be added to the images for a direct link to the photographers gallery in RFF, or anywhere else people desire for that matter.

I think hosting on RFF for the start of the project is perfect. I don't mind putting in the effort to setup a site, but want to wait until I see there are a reasonable amount of photos done to make the project viable before putting forth the effort.

The site won't be all that large, self contained, and it can easily be tacked on to another site. I don't see any reasons why I couldn't easily host it for the next 5 years or more, and once designed and published it doesn't need any maintenance or updates. It just sits.

digitalox
02-05-2005, 08:45
I think the main issues on the table right now are 'which camera' and 'which film, how many shots'. There also seems to be differing opinions on where to put the pictures, but I think we'll have plenty of time to sort that out later.

I think this project has quite a few people now. There have been a lot of great suggestions on these 2 questions and I really think we should vote on them so that everyone has some say. Also we can put our opinion on the question in that thread, and have them all in one place instead of scattered everywhere.

We would just need someone to gather all the suggestions for each issue from these threads and start a new polling thread for them.

Pherdinand
02-05-2005, 09:47
I have an idea.
How about asking a reputable photo mag (Black and White, Lenswork, Chasseur d'Images, PHOTO, whatever, it does not matter much) for some kind of sponsorship - which consists in them hosting the photos on their website somewhere in a gallery, maybe paying for the shipping/film costs, AND in change they can publish the photos (at least the ones they select), a few in each number through the year.
Am I too naive?

FrankS
02-05-2005, 10:30
Allen G. suggested each photog chooses his/her own film type. I'm fine with that too. I believe more strongly that each photog uses their own ROLL of film, for the reasons I've stated before.

Russ, Russ, Russ! Are you guys not interested in my new M2? Seriously, I like the idea of a basic mechanical and robust RF, not too expensive, like a FED or Kiev.

Pherdinand
02-05-2005, 10:35
So, i put up two polls to speed things up a bit. Please vote as soon as possible, if you also subscribed to the participation list.
Poll - Type of film to use: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=42842#post42842

Poll - Number of frames per participant +shipping of film:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=42846#post42846

aizan
02-05-2005, 13:13
i can help out with the website, designing and coding, etc. well, as long as it doesn't require heavy backend coding stuff.

instead of asking zi to lend a camera, why not voigtlander?

raid
11-06-2005, 13:38
There are similar projects done on photo.net and nelsonfoto.com. I participated in the Hal Project (35mm) and the Sure-Shot Project (120). Next, we will send around a FED2 camera around the world. The mentioned projects do not have any profit making/donation aspect to them like you seem to be aiming at here.

Dan Chang
11-06-2005, 14:07
You know what sounds like fun? A Pass the Camera project.
An example: I take a picture with my Canon A35 F with 40mm 1:2.8 fixed lens and post it, then mail the camera to another member, etc....

If anyone would like to try this, let me know. I think it would be fun. After it gets completed and the camera gets back to me, maybe we could self publish a book and donate the proceeds to the Tsunami victims fund, Red Cross, or some Sailors and Soldiers fund.

What do you think?

Are we doing such thing to support our mail/delivery system?

Pherdinand
11-06-2005, 14:34
raid, i don't understand what you mean by the last line of your post.
The camera travels for the sake of fun and to see the results, nothing else [so far].

edit - o i guess you refer to the very original post of wblanchard. We'll see, anyway :)

Krosya
07-17-2006, 01:20
I just came across this old thread and I was wondering if anything came out of it? Did anyone actually do this? Did it work? Any update?

Sounded like a cool idea, but did it see light of day?

George

pete63uk
07-19-2009, 07:52
Bumping this as I am also interested if ti happened.

Shane
04-08-2011, 23:57
I've seen this happen on another forum. It worked pretty well. Each member would get an set amount of shots. Then new film would be added when that ran out, it carried on until all the members who where participating had taken their shots.