PDA

View Full Version : Spin the Wheel

fraley
11-03-2006, 18:06
If you could have one of the following, which would it be? I seem to be going in circles. Not quite enough $$ to stop the wheel yet, and not sure which number I want it to land on. Thought I'd see what the majority would vote for...

Kyle
11-03-2006, 18:12
No doubt... MP!

FrankS
11-03-2006, 18:20
I just want to own up to the fact that I chose the M8. I've already got the vintage, mechanical cameras covered. The M8 is a digital camera that I could like, though I'd never spend that amount of money for a new one, I'm not that flush. There are lots of family things that I would spend on first.

GeneW
11-03-2006, 18:21
Ditto what Frank said ...

Gene

vrgard
11-03-2006, 18:23
Ditto what Frank said ...

Gene

And I ditto GeneW's ditto.

-Randy

reagan
11-03-2006, 18:24
M8 ~ No doubt.

woodphoto
11-03-2006, 19:01
Why am I the only one who wants a new lens....I'm happy with the cameras I have.

FrankS
11-03-2006, 19:03
The M8 comes with a lens of your choice, so basically, you'd be getting the M8 "for free"! :)

woodphoto
11-03-2006, 19:09
I am still fighting the digital age.......and even when I make the leap, it still will only be second to the beauty that is film.
I will take the MP though.....

back alley
11-03-2006, 20:08
Why am I the only one who wants a new lens....I'm happy with the cameras I have.

you're not alone!

i would like the zm 85 so i could have a complete zi/zm kit.

joe

rpsawin
11-03-2006, 20:19

If my new lens (2/75 Summi Asph:D ) came attached to an M-p what should I do?

Bob

jlw
11-03-2006, 20:25
The D80 seems like an odd option in this grouping in that it's the only SLR, and that it's a "budget" model and considerably less expensive than the other choices. I just got one, and it's pretty good in terms of results, but you can really tell it's a "consumer" camera in terms of user interface (too many buttons/menu items, not enough dedicated controls.) If you wanted to stick with Nikon, the D200 might have been more comparable to the other choices, and it costs about the same as a Zeiss Ikon. The person with a Leica M8 budget probably would be cross-shopping the Canon EOS 5D if he were trying to decide between a DRF and a DSLR.

Of the items on the wish list, I'd have picked the M8 just because (as someone else said) I'm already well-covered on the film RF side, and I've already got the D80 for times when I absolutely have to use a (blecch!) DSLR.

But I didn't mark anything in the poll -- because if I ever were to have a sudden windfall of a couple of thousand bucks I could dedicate to photography, I'd probably spend it on studio strobe gear, and hiring models to point it at...

fraley
11-03-2006, 20:45
jlw, I included the D80 because it's more in line with what I can afford in a digital camera. I appreciate hearing your view of it, probably much like mine if I had one. I guess I can't afford the most expensive film or digital cameras in the list, oh well.. luckily I get results I like with a variety of cameras that are mostly way under 300.00 USD. I actually did get a bonus at work and although most of it will go for a new driveway, I'm putting some aside for something, or maybe a down-payment on something... thanks everyone for the comments!

w3rk5
11-03-2006, 21:35
I didn't vote cause I wouldn't know which one to get either. All I know is it would be either the Leica MP & lens of your choice or the Zeiss Ikon RF & lens of your choice. Nothing wrong with the digitals but I'd rather have a camera that I can pass down and know that it will still take excellent pictures. There's also the fact that they can go up in value too. :)

JimG
11-03-2006, 21:36
Forget the rest give me an MP or nada.

Gid
11-03-2006, 21:45
I chose the MP. In 50 years time it will still be taking pictures (most likely not me :( ). I already have the digital side covered.

JeffGreene
11-04-2006, 06:02
I would definitely go for the M8. If I had my druthers I would trade in the RD1 towards it, but I am also lusting after an ALPA 12SW. I'll probably go for neither. Got to get the GAS under control, Got to get the GAS under control, Got to get the GAS under control, ...sigh!

Keith
11-04-2006, 06:04
For free .. definitely the M8! :)

c.poulton
11-04-2006, 07:01
Funny, I was just now browsing the Leica site, drooling over the MP.......

There is something about the M8 that I don't like - I can't put my finger on it - the 1.33 crop factor, the slightly larger size (it looks big in my eyes?), the 'silky smooth look of digital, non reversable LCD screen, (I shoot with my left eye so it would definately get grease on it) lack of 'rewind lever....

I don't know, but given the choice right now I would go with the MP + 50/1 Noctilux thank you very much......... Sigh, maybe I'll win the lottery tonight?

markinlondon
11-04-2006, 07:05
A chrome MP with M2 style finder plus a tabbed 50 Summicron, please. That'll do nicely.

Keith
11-04-2006, 07:06
For free .. definitely the M8! :)

Then I could sell it ... buy a second hand MP ... and bank $2500.00!:angel:

rogue_designer
11-04-2006, 19:13
While I'm pretty happy with the cameras I have, I don't have an RF with a decent meter, or any M mount bodies - so I voted MP with lens (of course, since we're dreaming here, I chose the Nocti :D )

I think if I already owned an M film body, I'd have had a debate between the M8, or just some more lenses.

rover
11-05-2006, 02:40
I thought carefully, and choose the MP & lens. I am pleasantly surprised to see it is holding its own in the voting. More and more I am thinking two things, first digital is the realm of the DSLR. Huge, but cheaper and so many more bells and whistles. Secondly, I love my film RF cameras. I love processing my own film, and I am excited about setting up and using my new darkroom to do some printing. That will be time for me, set me apart from the constant running and daily stuff, get me away from the computer (no offense guys) and put me someplace, all be a bathroom, for myself. What man doesn't want that? ;)

kshapero
11-05-2006, 05:08
And I ditto GeneW's ditto.

-Randy
Ditto, ditto, ditto.:angel:

jonasv
11-05-2006, 05:22
i'm not a difficult person...

just an MP and 50 summilux would do.

but for now i'm already terribly excited with my M4-P and soon-to-be-mine 50 summicron...

quattro98
11-05-2006, 22:03
The answer to this question really depends on what/how you shoot & what you already have.

gregg
11-06-2006, 04:25
One vote for über glass.

Happy with my M6 bodies and no MP GAS. Would like the Leica ASPH wides – 35mm Summilux and 21mm Elmarit should do the trick. Silver please…

jan normandale
11-06-2006, 17:07
Hi Michael, you know you really don't want any of those cameras. Go buy some discount film, load up your current underused camera and shoot away. You just need a new love affair and sometimes old friends are better when revisited.

Take the rest of the potential savings and take the trip you wanted but have postponed. What's left over... buy some nice wine and drink it on the balcony of a hotel suite at sunset somewhere warm.

I would.

ray_g
11-06-2006, 17:14
You just need a new love affair ...

Now THAT is expensive.

Especially if there is alimony involved. :bang:

Black MP, 75ASPH.

erikhaugsby
11-06-2006, 18:50
I bit at the M8, heck I really want the M8 regardless of this wheel spin or not. Shame that Leicas can't just make money...

wlewisiii
11-06-2006, 19:40
I decided that, were I in that circumstance :) , I'd go for the ZI &, knowing me, the 50/1.5 Sonnar. It would, really, make much more sense for me to pick the 35/2 Biogon as I have a nice Canon 28/3.5 & my collapsible 'Cron but I'm a sucker for the 50's & the Sonnars in particular. The body would fit what I currently own well & I must admit I like it's looks better :eek:

Fun "what if..." variant.

William

peter_n
02-19-2007, 12:13
I have no interest in the MP or the M8, but it would be nice to try a Zeiss Ikon, so I voted for that plus a Zeiss ZM 15mm/f2.8 Distagon lens. :)

l.mar
02-19-2007, 17:16
... what I'd really like would be a beat-up-as-possible-looking used interchangable lens, metal-bodied rangefinder. Something which looked like c__p but worked like butter. Something I could just throw in the bottom of a bag and have with me at all times. A film camera as a sketch pad or notebook, so to speak.

sigma4ever
02-19-2007, 17:20
I voted for a new lens. I've already got all the bodies I could want, but good lenses for them are friggin expensive.

kshapero
02-19-2007, 18:09
I'm going with the MP. I always wanted the "real" thing.

mw_uio
02-19-2007, 18:26
Only a Distagon T* 2,8/25 ZF, and Planar T* 1.4/50 ZF for my F3HP = the best of both worlds and I have 'Aperture Priority' :)

Cheers

MArk
Quito, EC

shadowfox
02-19-2007, 20:43
I'm going with the MP. I always wanted the "real" thing.

Yah! yah! then most likely I'll sell it and get good used M3 :) the rest of the money will of course be funnelled to my Olympus collection ... mwahahaha... <woken up rudely by the sound of alarm...>

pvdhaar
02-19-2007, 22:53
I've slimmed down my collection of camera bodies to the manageable again. I don't need/want more of them. If there was any money in the bank, I'd spend it all on glass..

Doug
02-19-2007, 23:06
Tough decisions! :) I'm just not ready to commit to digital, so that simplifies things to the MP, ZI, or just a lens. If you have a passion for the legendary Leica feel and experience, there's just no denying the MP. The ZI is a more pragmatic choice, with several superior features. Just a lens would appeal too (thinking 35 Lux Asph, 75 'cron), and the appeal of this somewhat depends on what you've already go to put it on.

But I can't find it in me to vote for any choice. I have an M2 so don't need an MP, and I already have a ZI and sufficient lenses. Digital is served adequately by the Canon PowerShot G3. Medium format is really where it's at anyway. :D

ChrisN
02-20-2007, 00:14
I'm with Rover on this one. If I had an M8 I'd never use the other bodies I own, and that would be a waste. I'll just take my choice of lens: hint - it's a K-mount!