MP Guy
01-17-2005, 14:34
Time for a change?

Should we change to colors to look like http://www.dslrexchange.com/index.php

?

Vote ....

Natalia
01-17-2005, 14:43
Jorge, the original colors are fine....especially for tired eyes at night:)

Laika
01-17-2005, 14:47
I voted for no change :)

taffer
01-17-2005, 14:51
Agree with Lil, many of us work in front of a screen at work, that's why we absolutely have to take a break and visit RFF and its eye-friendly colors from time to time just to keep them healthy :D

Now seriously, I find this color combo to be very good, it avoids heavy contrasts which may lead to tired eyes.

SolaresLarrave
01-17-2005, 14:53
Let's leave it as it is for now... But I'm sure by February we'll need some cheerful chromatic combination, like red and orange and yellow background for instance...

But for now, this is good for my ole, tired eyes :)

Roman
01-17-2005, 15:00
Black, white, and the scales of grey inbetween are just so much more fitting to a forum concerned with photography! Nothing to shrill and gaudy, please!

Roman

SolaresLarrave
01-17-2005, 15:07
How about sepia, dark, light and tones in between? Not gaudy or shrill... very archival looking and cheerful as well.

I like vivid colors in winter. Also visiting greenhouses and drinking hot chocolate.

Mmmmmm... :)

back alley
01-17-2005, 15:10
i like this and voted for no change.

digitalox
01-17-2005, 15:17
Well on second thought I like the current colors better and would like to change my vote if possible - doesn't look like it matters to much at this point though.

I second the vote for Sepia! No, Blllluuuueeee ARrrrgghhh...

Honu-Hugger
01-17-2005, 15:33
Change is difficult for those of us with OCD (if you must, just a little at a time):D :D :D

Just joking -- actually, I really like the grey (or gray) tones. It's a very distinct look the way it is and one of the things that I remember from my first visit to the site. I instantly thought "this group is way too classy for me..."

Whatever you decide is fine, Jorge. It'll take more than a color change to keep me away;). I voted to leave it as is. Thank you for asking for our input and thank you for providing us with this "home within our homes."

Cheers,

D2

peter_n
01-17-2005, 15:49
I would like to see it change to the DSLRexchange colors or even better, something like this:

http://www.v70xc.com/forums/

I find black text on a pastel background much more readable than white text on a dark background.

Natalia
01-17-2005, 16:09
I think this forum has one of the better layout and format on the net. I wish dpreview.com implemented some of it....

IMHO a new menu buttons would be nice.

p.s. By the way, the image in the top right corner is not showing.....

jlw
01-17-2005, 16:19
I like the grays, which I think are appropriate for a more 'traditionalist' forum such as this -- but I have to admit that the white text on very dark backgrounds sometimes "bleeds" a bit and gets hard to read.

How about light gray backgrounds and dark message text? The black is OK for the outer frame.

rover
01-17-2005, 16:43
Yeah, sure, change is good. If not now, something nice for spring will do.

Honu-Hugger
01-17-2005, 17:22
Originally posted by peter_n
I would like to see it change to the DSLRexchange colors or even better, something like this:

http://www.v70xc.com/forums/

I find black text on a pastel background much more readable than white text on a dark background.

I checked the site peter_n recommended and it was not as clear for me. On my monitor I find the white text on dark background easier to read. I wonder if this is individual preference or if it might have to do with the monitors? Most often I'm using a laptop with an "extra bright" type of screen. This screen does seem a little sharper than the screen on my desk top computer which is an ordinary flat screen. What experience do others have?

D2

peter_n
01-17-2005, 19:16
Doug you have to have a V70XC car to be able to read it properly... ;)

I have an ordinary 19" monitor, BTW. I find LCD panels not as good as CRTs.

Doug
01-17-2005, 19:51
I don't agree with D2 on the ease of reading light text on dark background... My preference is just the opposite! When you crank up your word processor, what color are the background and text? When you read a book? Your bank statement? Give thanks to Apple Computer to banish the green or amber monitor!

Actually, I rather like the over-all look of RFF now. The dark grey background is a great surround for posted pics.

Honu-Hugger
01-17-2005, 20:37
That leaves only one explanation: I spend too much time here and my eyes have become acclimated to the site:D :D :D Or, I'm looking at too many negatives???

D2

thmk
01-17-2005, 20:43
Please don't do it. The forum is ok as it is.

RubenBlaedel
01-17-2005, 21:26
Please do not change - The text on this forum is easy readable and no strain to the eye!! That would be a real shame to change this and I would imagine that some of the older guys find that the site you refere to has to many graphic and colourwise distractions (this did not come out entirely English -sorry)

Doug
01-17-2005, 21:26
I was typing in haste, a salmon dinner just announced as "ready" ... It looks like I was contradicting myself! Just that, despite theory, the white text isn't all that bad, and I like the present color scheme. If there were a way to have dark text on a light background, though, that might offer readability benefits. Sorry, D2, it looks like we're both acclimated! :D

denishr
01-17-2005, 22:59
Jorge, the current colors are easy on the eyes, as many have alreay said. I voted for no change.

Denis

Pherdinand
01-18-2005, 02:25
I like changes but in this case i am against it, Jorge. It's just fine like this:)

taffer
01-18-2005, 02:31
Originally posted by digitalox
Well on second thought I like the current colors better and would like to change my vote if possible - doesn't look like it matters to much at this point though.

I second the vote for Sepia! No, Blllluuuueeee ARrrrgghhh...

LOL !

chenick
01-18-2005, 05:06
I'm glad that DLSR is no longer the same as RFF, as I mentioned over there it was a bit easy for me to get confused. (hehe)

So I'm glad that DSLR page is now different, and I'd like RFF.com to stay with the same colour scheme!!

-Nick

SolaresLarrave
01-18-2005, 05:21
Change needs not be radical. It'd be nice to have a slight variation of the current scheme later in the Spring. Didn't this forum use to be blue?

That'd be nice too! :)

Roman
01-18-2005, 06:33
I just logged into a university computer (just had a class), and it definitely looks brownish-sepia here - either somebody poored a bottle of Coke over the monitor, or Jorge changed the color scheme...? Will have to check again on my home computer.

Roman

RML
01-18-2005, 07:16
I voted for "yes" though perhaps it could be a little less bright.

g0tr00t
01-18-2005, 07:47
I voted no. dslrexchange is too bright. I mainly work in the dark and prefer subdued colors. My favorite colors for page examples are here:
http://dpreview.com/
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

berci
01-18-2005, 08:08
Keep the colours.
But change the icons.
I don't really like this thing with the "plus" sign on it.

What is more, let's put there icons which are little RF cameras.

Berci:D

Roman
01-18-2005, 08:24
OK, it was the university computer screen - everything back to grey on my own one...

Roman

newspaperguy
01-18-2005, 09:22
#1 lesson learned (the hard way):

"If it ain't broke... don't fix it."

It ain't broke!

Rick