PDA

View Full Version : no comment

back alley
01-15-2005, 21:05
regarding gallery photos, if after an appropriate amount of time (shooter determined), there are no comments...would it be safe to assume that the photo has been less than impressive and it's now time to delete it?

Todd.Hanz
01-15-2005, 21:12
That is a good question. I upload photos that I feel are decent, I check back and no response. So I question why I like that particular image, is it personal to me, is that why I like it? Nine times out of ten someone will comment on it a week, a month or later as it comes around again.
So if it means something to you I would leave it.
On the other hand I am considering deleting some of my past images as I feel my style is changing. My 2 cents!

Todd

impact07
01-15-2005, 21:22
I have very few comments as well. I have yet to post anything groundbreaking, but you kinda hope for some response...

Todd.Hanz
01-15-2005, 22:01
I think with the increase in members, alot of photos only stay on the main gallery for a short time,lots of uploads, so it's hard for everyone to see what you have posted.

Todd

marceloporto
01-15-2005, 23:01
I do it myself with my pics, from time to time, and the criteria I use in deciding whether to delete or not are number of comments and number of viewings. Now, if the site feels the need to reduce the disk space, or simply keeps things tidy, one possibility would be to introduce a "keeper" check button for the viewers. Not a rating, but simply a way of saying that in your opinion that particular image deserves a long(er) life in the forum. Sort of "survival of the fittest".

But roughly, yes, I agree that some clean-up would be beneficial, especially with more and more people joining.

Cheers, Marcelo

taffer
01-16-2005, 00:03
I try to clean up my images with no comments or very few to try to clean up some space.

HOWEVER

To all the new people, don't give up ! We've got a lot of new work there and it's sort of a weak time. I think when things settle down a bit with the new year things will come back to normal.

BTW I love this month's theme (water), but this is my exam month and I can't seem to find free time to shoot decently ! :bang:

rover
01-16-2005, 01:50
I did some major house cleaning yesterday morning and deleted, I don't know, 40 images. I kept the ones I liked though, with or without comments.

RML
01-16-2005, 03:53
I tend to upload in series, like my three series of photos I took last time in Mongolia. I probably will delete them when I have a new batch or series available. I really do appreciate all the comments but it's not a criterium for me to keep a shot in the gallery or delete it when its time has come. :)

peter_n
01-16-2005, 06:30
I've only a very small # of photos in my gallery and I delete the ones that don't have comments after a month ot two. Hoping to upload one or two more this week... :)

fraley
01-16-2005, 09:39
Good thread! This is something I'm struggling with. I do try to wait a while before posting from a new roll, in the hopes of being more selective. I like the album idea, but it seems to encourage my collecting tendencies. Whereas putting things in the general category tends to make it easier to delete older ones. I've been putting off doing a major purge :rolleyes:

Russ
01-16-2005, 12:16
I've only been to the gallery about twice in the last year. I suppose I should drop by more often...

Russ

SolaresLarrave
01-16-2005, 15:42
My rationale coincides with the last choice. I've posted some photos in which silence is simply deafening... But I like them.

However, I did delete a couple of shots I came to like less.

Tricky trick: have you noticed you'll feel more inclined to make a comment when others have posted comments before you? So, upload a photo and post the first comment as well! :)

Brian Sweeney
01-16-2005, 17:07
My Mom likes them. Good enough for me.

Todd.Hanz
01-16-2005, 17:10
Originally posted by Brian Sweeney
My Mom likes them. Good enough for me.

If Mom ain't happy, nobody's happy!

Todd

FrankS
01-16-2005, 19:32
Originally posted by Todd.Hanz
If Mom ain't happy, nobody's happy!

Todd

Happy wife, happy life.

24x30
01-16-2005, 21:40
There are just too many images to review. Don't have time to watch every day. So my feeling is that it would not help write 'fine image' to each.

How about a seperate discussion gallery?

/rudi
ps. don't care about moms opinion, but my wife ... ;)

Pherdinand
01-17-2005, 02:34
Some of my all-time favourites have the lowest popularity. Here too but on photo.net especially. I learned not to care too much about the quantity (even if it is zero) of the comments:)