PDA

View Full Version : Poll: are you using a separate "bad weather" camera?

doitashimash1te
10-22-2006, 09:22
Do you have a camera that you use specifically during bad weather conditions, like wind/storm, rain, hail, etc. -or extreme sports- in order to avoid your expensive gear getting wet or even damaged?

Do you shoot during extreme conditions and if so, what equipment do you use?

Ash
10-22-2006, 09:27
I hope the situation wouldn't come up. If it did I'd probably take out the Zorki-4k, or Fed-4

DMG
10-22-2006, 09:42
I use my pentax super me when the weather is just too bad

FrankS
10-22-2006, 10:00
In RF cameras, I take my R2 instead of a Leica M as a knockabout daily camera. If I were to go out in severe weather, I could take a Nikonos III with 35mm lens. I also have a plethora of garage sale SLR's I could use.

dadsm3
10-22-2006, 10:27
I have a beater M3 and second string set of lenses for lousy conditions.....you could easily get a user M3, 35mm Summaron F3.5,50mm Summarit (or other cheap 50), 90mm Elmar, and a 135mm Hektor for under $1000 total. Then you can leave the M6 and 'crons at home and shoot without worry...

GeneW
10-22-2006, 10:34
I don't have any cameras exclusively devoted to bad weather, but when I owned one, I used an Olympus Stylus Epic quite often in bad weather because of its weather sealing.

It depends on the severity of the weather. In light rain and moderate wind I'll take any camera. In heavy rain or snow, I tend to take fixed-lens RF's, partly because they're small and easy to pocket, and partly because they could be replaced more cheaply than some of my higher-end gear in the event of a mishap.

Gene

back alley
10-22-2006, 10:38
i have not in the past but just might this winter.

the om1 might become the foul weather & blizzard camera of choice.

ffttklackdedeng
10-22-2006, 10:52
I checked 'good weather photog' although for sports (snowboard, beach) I take a digi p&s in an underwater case. I planned several times to go out in the rain etc. but somehow never did

jan normandale
10-22-2006, 10:53
Nikonos III or cheap RF's w metering and a plastic bag

Chris Lynch
10-22-2006, 11:29
That's why i own a Canon 1-series camera: it's weather sealed and extremely rugged. I'll soon enough have a Nikon F3 that i will subject much abuse to as well. We'll see how she does :)

peter_n
10-22-2006, 11:35
I use an M7 as an everyday camera. It was out in a thunderstorm Friday night (under an umbrella mark you) and the next morning I took it on an RFF shoot in Connecticut. It got a bit wet on Friday but it seemed fine on Saturday. It is under warranty so maybe I don't worry about it so much.

MadMan2k
10-22-2006, 11:37
I usually don't go out in the rain when I don't have to, but I shot in the rain and salt spray with my rebel XT a few times without it getting hurt. I got caught in a fairly heavy rain when I was shooting in Durango with the 1N too - you realize how nice the design is when it starts to get wet, you just wipe the top off with your shirt and the water doesn't stick or get in anything, and you keep using it.

Are there any parts on/in Leicas that will rust if they get wet? I would keep using it in the rain without thinking about it since there's no electronics, but are the workings inside actually likely to break if water happens to get in?

raid
10-22-2006, 12:20
I am direct; I don't want to mess up a nice looking and expensive camera. I used today [rainy day] a Konica S2 only. The other reason is the fact that in messy weather I don't want to start worrying which lens to use. Keep it simple. There is nothing comprimising here. The S2 has a very sharp lens, and I enjoy using it.

Raid

reub2000
10-22-2006, 14:41
I wish I did have something weather sealed. I hate not getting any pictures when it wet.

Last year, I did make something with a garbage bag, with a whole covered in saran wrap to take some pictures while it was snowing. Moderate success because the saran wrap got cloudy and the tape holding it was starting to weaken after a short period of time. This (http://www.dslreports.com/showpic/dimaging?lid=104027&1=1) is one of the pictures.

Harry Lime
10-22-2006, 16:11
Normally I use Leica M and R, but when things turn really ugly I pull out a weather sealed Canon EOS 1v, with sealed lenses.

The 1v is a joy to shoot and will survive driving rain, fine dust and other abuse.
The worst part under such circumstances is reloading...

I wish Leica made a properly sealed M or R camera.

HL

Harry Lime
10-22-2006, 16:16
I'll soon enough have a Nikon F3 that i will subject much abuse to as well. We'll see how she does :)

I have a F3P (Pro? Press?)

Basically this is a F3 with extra weather sealing and a few other modifications, that was sold to professionals.

Works like a charm and it's nice and compact, but I doubt it is as sealed as a EOS 1 series.:)

HL

Chris Lynch
10-22-2006, 16:48
I have a F3P (Pro? Press?)

Basically this is a F3 with extra weather sealing and a few other modifications, that was sold to professionals.

Works like a charm and it's nice and compact, but I doubt it is as sealed as a EOS 1 series.:)

HL

naw, i missed out on a cheap F3P a while back- i'm just gonna get a std F3HP in BGN condition for cheap (~$140), and see how it works out. It will mainly see snow and other winter stuff.

colyn
10-22-2006, 17:38
My Leica gear goes out no matter the conditions. I just take extra precautions not to get it damaged such as a zip lock bag as a raincoat.
I've even taken my Kiev gear out in the rain..

Superbus_
10-23-2006, 00:21
My strategy for bad weather is the following: you need to find a good cafeteria and stay there untill the end of bad wetaher. :)
Seriously in really bad weather conditions I do not use my cameras at all.

Goodyear
10-23-2006, 03:38
If it's really bad, I have a Pentax K1000 that gets knocked around ike anything and still is great.

MinorTones
10-23-2006, 05:16
When it gets tough I usually dont photograph unless it is for work. So I shoot a DSLR that has been to hell and back. It still works great, but looks horrible.

I try to keep the M6 out of the rain. If I need to use an RF for some bad weather shooting it will be my Bessa-R or Yashica Electo 35GT.

I just dont want my summicron to get water on/in it.

-Mitch

Stu W
10-23-2006, 05:29
I use a Canon Elph aps and on the boat I keep a Pentax aps. They really work very well. Stu

Jeroen
10-23-2006, 06:28
I'm from a fairly rainy country, yet I'm not scared to use any of my main cameras in bad weather. I have a Nikon F (plain prism), Yashicamat 124G, D70S, a Hexar and a Mju:II. They all work in good or bad weather, and they're in my bag when I don't need them. Never had a problem with any of them - or with my Digisix light meter.

dazedgonebye
10-23-2006, 07:48
If I had the money, I'd have a Canon 1 series camera for bad weather use. Since I don't, I use whatever I would normally use for the situation, regardless of weather.

tkluck
10-23-2006, 07:49
When "extreme sports" consists of a buffet rather than a sit-down dinner the discussion becomes academic. I will take a good camera out in the rain and snow. Easy enough to keep it more or less safe.
Never had an urge to get a shot looking back as I reached the bottom af a bunge jump.

Ash
10-23-2006, 09:04
I'm glad I took all my photo's today before it poured with rain!

photogdave
10-23-2006, 09:35
When I used to shoot sports for newspapers I would often find myself shooting soccer in a downpour and then heading straight into the arena to shoot hockey. My F801 would literally have icicles on it and I would throw it in the drying cabinet with my negs when I got back to the office.
When I was doing travle work and my F100 would succumb to humidity and extreme temperatures I picked up an FM2 as back up. I started using and enjoying tht camera more and I think that is what led to my interest in rangefinders.
I now use a Pentax Optio 43WR waterproof digicam for all weather snapping and video capture, and my trusty Olympus Stylus Epic for film.

Gabriel M.A.
10-23-2006, 16:19
A camera to bite the dust? I don't want to sacrifice a camera; I want to use a camera in bad weather conditions. The Canon A-1 works surprisingly well in bad conditions, the Canon 20D worked fine in drizzling weather, both the Leica M2 or M3 (or M6 if I take the batteries out) work just fine in subfreezing weather.

Bromo33333
10-23-2006, 16:30
I shoot with the same cameras regardless of weather. And I would shoot in almost anything - though I might think twice about using something requiring a tripod. :p

KEH
10-23-2006, 16:36
I use my rangefinder-like Pentax istDS2 because my R-D1 doesn't like the cold.

Cheers,
Kirk

http://http://www.pbase.com/kirkh/image/56010168.jpg

peterc
10-23-2006, 16:47
For drizzle: just about any camera and carry a towel or paper towels.
For rain: just about any camera and a baggie.
For sub-freezing: Mechanical or powered by AA cells.
I used to like HP5 autowinder film for really cold weather since it was almost impossible to break.

Peter

Dougg
10-23-2006, 21:21
I tend to keep the camera under my jacket except when actively using it, then just wipe it off when tucking it back under. This thread reminds me that my Pentax LX is weather sealed so would be a good choice in rain, snow, spray...

darkkavenger
10-24-2006, 13:21
in all climatic conditions my Kiev-2A is always by my side, be it -17C while snowing in winter or 35C dry in summer, or the oceanic humid climate... :) [my pentacon six as well] :)

Rafael
10-24-2006, 14:59
I don't have a bad weather camera. But maybe I should... ;)