PDA

View Full Version : "Shoot all day" on equinox

Pages : [1] 2 3

RML
10-11-2006, 10:53
Suggestions in this thread ( http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&threadid=29497 ) made me think.

I like the idea of having a "shoot all day" day on the equinox, March 24, and turning it into something substantial like an exhibition and an accompanying book. Heck, we could even make it a traveling exhibition and come up with a Magnum-in-Motion-esque slide show.

I'm trying to generate some buzz on my blog ( http://shardsofphotography.blogspot.com/2006/10/shoot-all-day-day-on-equinox.html ).

Who is interested?
Who can arrange or help arrange an exhibtion?
Who wants to help and/or participate?

Yes, I realise there are many pitfalls on the way. Let's hope we can swerve around them. :)

jonasv
10-13-2006, 08:38
Bumping this one, the other thread's title might lead to confusion. I'm game. Can you post the complete list here too, Remy?

RML
10-13-2006, 08:40
Jonas, I'll do right now.

Sofar we have 13 people interested:

jorisbens
RML
doitashimash1te
popstar
kunger
Trius
kingster
Marc-A.
Jon Claremont
Goodyear
iml
jody
jonasv

The more the merrier, people!

I'll also keeping tab on _my blog_ (http://shardsofphotography.blogspot.com/2006/10/equinox-shoot-all-day-day.html) over time.

Gabriel M.A.
10-13-2006, 08:48
Please add me to the list. Let's hope it's a beautiful day that day.

Will we go with the "traditional" 21st of March, or the astronomically-correct 20th of March?

FrankS
10-13-2006, 08:51
I'm into this.

Gabriel M.A.
10-13-2006, 08:53
BTW, I just checked, it looks like next year, Spring Equinox will fall on the 21st of March, shortly after 12am (midnight) GMT.

ClaremontPhoto
10-13-2006, 09:07
Yes, that's right the equinoxes (and solstices) move around a bit. But Spring Equinox 2007 is 21 March.

I Googled it last week to be certain myself. I haven't got the URL for the charts right now. But they are at the National Maritime Museum (London) website.

10-13-2006, 09:14
I posted on the other link but to make sure I'm on the list I'm posting here. It's already on my calendar and I look forward to participating.

Larry

DavidH
10-13-2006, 09:28
A great idea...any restrictions on what is shot? Cos I'll probably be working in the field and so most of my shots will be associated with what I'm working on at the time...

And a month's warning/reminder would be useful... :)

David

Gid
10-13-2006, 09:29
I'd like to participate if that's OK. Willing to help in any way also. Time has been precious (and short) for the last 5 months and life is just getting back to normal so it would be good to have something to aim for.

gregg
10-13-2006, 09:34
Count me in.

Does anyone have hosting to allow for individual galleries of this special day? I have a site and can set up dedicated galleries with multiple users but if it becomes really popular the traffic may blow my limit...

RML
10-13-2006, 10:26
Great. 19 people already. :)

jorisbens
RML
doitashimash1te
popstar
kunger
Trius
kingster
Marc-A.
Jon Claremont
Goodyear
iml
jody
jonasv
[email protected]
gabrielma
FrankS
DavidH
Gid
gregg

OK. Equinox is on March 21, 2007. That's a Wednesday. That's cool by me. A long day ahead that day. :)

DavidH, no restrictions if I can help it. Shoot whatever you want. IMO the only limitation is that your photos should be taken on the equinox. If you want to go for a theme yourself, be my guest. Like I said before, I'm thinking of doing a kind of time laps series. Don't know where, don't know when (to speak with Vera Lynn) but I've got time to come up with a plan. :)

Gregg, I think we can set up a blog. It's easy, it's free, people can be made contributors... seems quite perfect to me. Maybe someone can set one up like the "unofficial RFF blog"?

Gid, and anyone else, we need some ideas, hints, tips and information on how to get an exhibition organised, set up and actually out there. I have no idea how to tackle an exhibition but I really like the idea of doing one with the lot of you. :)

Ash
10-13-2006, 10:33
I'm game, as long as I'm able to go out shooting that day!

doitashimash1te
10-13-2006, 10:50
I'm happy to see so many enthusiastic reactions to the idea of this "Shoot all day" initiative. I guess it's really pulling off now.

RML: do you think we could persuade Foam at the Keizersgracht to host the exhibit? Wouldn't that be great?

http://www.foam.nl/index.php?pageId=12

rogue_designer
10-13-2006, 10:54
I'm in - provided my ADD brain doesn't forget.

RML
10-13-2006, 10:54
Foam would be great, of course. I feel a bit hesitant about that idea but whaddaheck, the sky is the limit. :) Now, if anyone can help us out with how to approach and persuade a gallery to take us on, please don't be a stranger! :D

pesphoto
10-13-2006, 10:59
I'll give it a shot. Im in. What day of the week is it?

ClaremontPhoto
10-13-2006, 11:04
Equinox is Wednesday 21 March 2007. But many people are planning to take photos over the following weekend.

doitashimash1te
10-13-2006, 11:06
Equinox is Wednesday 21 March 2007. But many people are planning to take photos over the following weekend.

If these count for the "Shoot all day Equinox" then we might just as well allow pictures taken during the previous weekend?

RML
10-13-2006, 11:28
I would prefer to make it really about photos taken on that 21st March but I'm willing to be persuaded.

IMO the "trouble" we have to put in on that wednesday will force us to really think about our shooting. We won't have time much so we have to make choices, tough choices: getting up early to catch the first rays, bringing the camera to work to shoot a shot during lunch break, thinking about what we will shoot in advance and plan for it, etc.

For me that would be half the challenge of that day.

Trius
10-13-2006, 11:36
Ooops, I posted this on the other thread, as it was still open.

Remy: Yeah, I doubt we'll get space at GEH :angel: but there are other spaces here, and I'm sure I'll get some ideas from the GEH staff.

RML
10-13-2006, 11:53
Ooops, I posted this on the other thread, as it was still open.

Remy: Yeah, I doubt we'll get space at GEH :angel: but there are other spaces here, and I'm sure I'll get some ideas from the GEH staff.

Go for it, Trius! :)

Gid
10-13-2006, 11:57
There's an opportunity to produce RFF book three out of this if you think its a good idea - plenty of know how available from the guys who put the other two together.

Regarding exhibitions et al, I've got a couple of ideas, but I'll hold back until I've thought them through. However, it may be worth thinking about personal and overall sponsorship for this project with a goal of donating proceeds to charity (charities).

ClaremontPhoto
10-13-2006, 12:17
If these count for the "Shoot all day Equinox" then we might just as well allow pictures taken during the previous weekend?

The previous weekend is St Patrick's Day, and I think that would affect the output of photographers in places where that day is celebrated.

It makes no difference to me, but it may do for some people.

Also, the idea of photographing on the equinox stemmed from wanting to give photographers all over the world twelve hours of light and twelve hours of dark. Not to necessarily photograph sunrises and sunsets.

I think we're learning as we go along here and I, for one, wish the event was sooner.

jonasv
10-13-2006, 12:28
IMHO if we're going to include any other day than the 21st (equinox) the whole point is lost.

Yes, some people won't be able to shoot the 21st... so what!

you can shoot any day you want for your personal joy... if you want to participate in a "shoot all day on equinox"-event it is not THAT unreasonable to exspect you have some time to shoot on equinox... otherwise why participate?

RML
10-13-2006, 12:31
OK, we'll settle this now: participants can only submit photos actually shot on the equinox, March 21, 2007.

ClaremontPhoto
10-13-2006, 12:31
I'll be taking photos on Wedneday 21 March.

RML
10-13-2006, 12:34
Donating to charities would be a fine thing. I don't think we'll need the hassle of having to divide any proceeds (if any) among participants from across the world. The more exhibitions the more different charities can be donated to. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. :) First, let's get a group together and make it to March.

nzeeman
10-13-2006, 13:06
im in too - if i'm not too late for joining. (i hope i wont forget it - i always forget dates). I would gladly help in organizing but i dont know how since i live far away (in serbia). If you have some job for me just pm me.

mascarenhas
10-13-2006, 13:47
I am in, if an autumn equinox is ok :-) (southern hemisphere). Shooting on a wednesday shouldn't be a problem for me.

Trius
10-13-2006, 14:22
I was hoping for the weekend date as initially mentioned, which fostered some ideas that pretty much required having an entire day available. I'll either have to come up with other ideas or take a day off work.

pesphoto
10-13-2006, 14:37
Im going to take the day off. Why waste 8 hours of quality shooting time. That is what sick days are for, yes?

I was hoping for the weekend date as initially mentioned, which fostered some ideas that pretty much required having an entire day available. I'll either have to come up with other ideas or take a day off work.

pesphoto
10-13-2006, 14:39
Can we get an updatd list of participants? I think it should be for the 21st and 21st only. Kind of a day in the life sort of thing. If people can't get the day off Im sure they can fit in shooting throughout the day somehow.

RML
10-13-2006, 14:49
The list is now 24 strong:

jorisbens
RML
doitashimash1te
popstar
kunger
Trius
kingster
Marc-A.
Jon Claremont
Goodyear
iml
jody
jonasv
[email protected]
gabrielma
FrankS
DavidH
Gid
gregg
Ash
rogue_designer
pesphoto
nzeeman
mascarenhas

The date is settled at March 21, 2007. That makes it clear for everyone, and it's a theme that we can "sell", instead of "the week before and after the equinox". :)

For cameras, media and formats, I'm gonna leave everyone free to choose. RF, SLR, P&S, TLRs, you name it. 35mm, MF, LF, whathaveyou. Film, digital, colour, B&W. I'm open to everything. I rather have people actually shoot on that day than forcing people to use a certain type of camera/medium/format and ending up with few people actually shooting and submitting.

You are free to choose a theme if you need one. No restrictions as long as it's legal.

RML
10-13-2006, 14:53
I'll go to bed. It's nearly 1am.

Y'all be good now, ya hear! :)

Gabriel M.A.
10-13-2006, 19:32
Y'all be good now, ya hear! :)
Hear hear! We be good now, matey. Arrrr. ;)

KM-25
10-13-2006, 23:17
Add me on and keep me posted. The only glich might be one of my clients is the Ski Company, powder days have been known to be O-plenty in March.

This would be a perfect excuse to work on my Kodachrome project.

jonasv
10-13-2006, 23:21
I don't have time now, but when I do I'll check for exhibition spaces in Antwerp and/or Brussels. I think I might know some place in London too.

doitashimash1te
10-14-2006, 01:55
Wow folks, when I posted my idea of a "Shoot all day" -only 4 days ago- I really didn't expect that this would receive so many enthusiastic reactions. Now it's really starting to look like it's getting somewhere, thanks to people like RML who picked it up and spread the word.

Let me recap where we stand now:

"Shoot all day on equinox" participants can only submit photos actually shot on the equinox, March 21, 2007, from midnight to midnight. And yes, this means that some people (like me) WILL have to take a day off to participate.

The point is NOT just taking pictures of sunrises and sunsets. The idea is to take pictures ON March 21, 2007, no matter what subject you choose.

ALL types of cameras and techniques are allowed: p&s, rf, tlr, slr, mf, lf, b&w, color, analog, digital, plasticfantastic, wristcam, what the heck. This is all about the image, and the photographer, not about what technique was used in order to create it. Van Gogh painted on jute remember?

The "Shoot all day on equinox" images will eventually be shown at exhibitions all over the world. As soon as the project has matured enough to do so (I expect in a month or two), we'll have to work on a multilingual press release, sponsors will have to be contacted, and exhibitions (at least one per participating country) will have to be arranged.

Apart from the exhibitions, there will be books and web galleries. What about a calendar to start with? (to be published after the exhibitions.)

Profits (if any) from this project could go to charity. I suggest we decide on that (like what charity) in a poll.

There is no numerus fixus, nor will there be any. We are happy to see the list of participants grow day by day. This has to be a worldwide event.

We now have 26 participants already.
List of participants, in chronological order:

1 - doitashimash1te
2 - Jon Claremont
3 - RML
4 - kunger
5 - jonasv
6 - jorisbens
7 - gabrielma
8 - popstar
9 - Trius
10 - kingster
11 - Marc-A.
12 - Goodyear
13 - iml
14 - jody
15 - [email protected]
16 - FrankS
17 - DavidH
18 - Gid
19 - gregg
20 - Ash
21 - rogue_designer
22 - pesphoto
23 - nzeeman
24 - mascarenhas
25 - KM-25
26 - sheepdog

sheepdog
10-14-2006, 03:38
I'm in. Got my first dependable RF a whole 3 hours ago, and I'm bound to have worked out it's mysteries by March..

I'll be loosing sleep over this! :)

Kjetil

RML
10-14-2006, 04:22
Sweet! Nice list, and lots of "new" names.

GeneW
10-14-2006, 05:45
Add me to the list. Thanks!

Gene

pesphoto
10-14-2006, 05:53
This will be fun. My wife, a photographer as well, may join me on this shoot.

RML
10-14-2006, 07:53
Your wife is most welcome!

picturetaker
10-14-2006, 08:31
Please add me to the list.

RML
10-14-2006, 08:38
Please add me to the list.

You already are. :)

The current list is as follows:

jorisbens
RML
doitashimash1te
popstar
kunger
Trius
kingster
Marc-A.
Jon Claremont
Goodyear
iml
jody
jonasv
[email protected]
gabrielma
FrankS
DavidH
Gid
gregg
Ash
rogue_designer
pesphoto
nzeeman
mascarenhas
KM-25
sheepdog
GeneW

More takers?!

Davor
10-14-2006, 08:50
I'm in. Altough I'm going to have to buy a scanner for that event, but it shouldn't be a problem. =)

Btw, I'm "new" here. Actually, I have been visiting this forum every day, for about three months. But this is the post that finally made me register an account (I'm going to have to blame the "your email-adress is banned"-thing). :-)

pesphoto
10-14-2006, 08:52
Welcome aboard Davor.

adep
10-14-2006, 09:17
I like the idea, I'll probably have to work that day, but count me in anyway!

formal
10-14-2006, 09:21
I'm in.

David

existrandom
10-14-2006, 09:28
please put me in the list if it is not too late! though i am not sure where will i be on the date... but i will have a camera with me
cheers!:)

lee

doitashimash1te
10-14-2006, 09:28
THIRTY-ONE!

Who's next?

1 - doitashimash1te
2 - Jon Claremont
3 - RML
4 - kunger
5 - jonasv
6 - jorisbens
7 - gabrielma
8 - popstar
9 - Trius
10 - kingster
11 - Marc-A.
12 - Goodyear
13 - iml
14 - jody
15 - [email protected]
16 - FrankS
17 - DavidH
18 - Gid
19 - gregg
20 - Ash
21 - rogue_designer
22 - pesphoto
23 - nzeeman
24 - mascarenhas
25 - KM-25
26 - sheepdog
27 - GeneW
28 - Davor
29 - adep
30 - formal
31 - existrandom

dostacos
10-14-2006, 09:57
I will, ah.. take a shot at it :D

Davor
10-14-2006, 10:16
If you guys actually decide to print out a book, http://www.lulu.com is an option. Altough I wouldn't recommend it unless you are counting on selling really few copies. A real publisher is really the ideal thing, but it can sometimes be hard to get them to fall for the idea.

Ash
10-14-2006, 11:17
ManGo, if you find some *good* UK-based POD's let me know!!

pesphoto
10-14-2006, 11:21
Just a thought, but how about along with a book or instead of a book a complete set of original prints. Dont know if that could work though.

doitashimash1te
10-14-2006, 11:29
Just a thought, but how about along with a book or instead of a book a complete set of original prints. Dont know if that could work though.
This could work, but probably in the form of a "limited edition" of some kind. Baryte prints in a linen box? It's indeed something to consider.

RML
10-14-2006, 11:57
A print set is nice buuuuut... not everyone shoots B&W film, remember? Colour, digital, every medium and format is allowed. So, a limited edition set would be nice but I see some hurdles along that way. Plus, what numbers are we talking? Think of a limited edition of 100 sets. That means everyone will have to cough up money to make 100 good (preferably archival) prints. Can we all afford that? I reckon no. Than we would need a wealthy sponsor. Anyone know where to get one?

kaiyen
10-14-2006, 12:14
I am in but...is this shots taken "sometime" on that day, or shots _throughout_ the day?

The guy who started the other thread on this (too long a name for me to remember :-), implied in this thread that it's 24 hours of shooting, a la the one I'm arranging for the folks in the San Francisco Bay Area sometime next month. The goal is to have photos that cover 24 hours, all 24 hours.

Now, even my project likely won't turn out that way - we'll take shifts. Actually, what I did was say that _I'm_ shooting for 24 hours, and asked if folks wanted to hang around.

I have no problem if this isn't that organized. But I'm confused as to whether the goal is to be organized or not.

But, if it's not too late, count me in. I'll have recovered by March to do another 24 hours if that's the idea :-).

allan

kaiyen
10-14-2006, 12:18
Oh, yeah - I am willing to create a blog for this, (I host the RFF one, but it's just a bunch of pointers to other blogs) but I do not think I can handle all the actual images on my site. I have 5GB of space currently (though I can buy more), and I've used up 1GB of it so far. But maybe we can work something out. I'm more than happy to host it in general, and I can get a WordPress blog set up very quickly with quite a few features.

An online, free-form version of this project might be a nice companion to the more formal versions out there.

allan

pesphoto
10-14-2006, 12:21
A print set is nice buuuuut... not everyone shoots B&W film, remember? Colour, digital, every medium and format is allowed. So, a limited edition set would be nice but I see some hurdles along that way. Plus, what numbers are we talking? Think of a limited edition of 100 sets. That means everyone will have to cough up money to make 100 good (preferably archival) prints. Can we all afford that? I reckon no. Than we would need a wealthy sponsor. Anyone know where to get one?

You may be right. Probably too much to take on logistic-wise.

kaiyen
10-14-2006, 12:24
To echo Remy's comments - the "aftermath" goals of this project are already HUGE. Honestly, I want no part of that :-). I'll provide a royalty-free license of my images, should they be included in any printed format, but that's it. Just too logistically complicated for anything for me to get involved in.

allan

pesphoto
10-14-2006, 12:26
ok, best to keep things simple.

FrankS
10-14-2006, 12:27
Wealthy sponsor? How about our very own Jorge T?

doitashimash1te
10-14-2006, 12:33
I am in but...is this shots taken "sometime" on that day, or shots _throughout_ the day?

The guy who started the other thread on this (too long a name for me to remember :-), implied in this thread that it's 24 hours of shooting, a la the one I'm arranging for the folks in the San Francisco Bay Area sometime next month. The goal is to have photos that cover 24 hours, all 24 hours.

Now, even my project likely won't turn out that way - we'll take shifts. Actually, what I did was say that _I'm_ shooting for 24 hours, and asked if folks wanted to hang around.

I have no problem if this isn't that organized. But I'm confused as to whether the goal is to be organized or not.

But, if it's not too late, count me in. I'll have recovered by March to do another 24 hours if that's the idea :-).

allan

Just spend the whole day shooting. Be productive. Be inspired. And use your best shots for submission.

(Yes, my nick is too long to remember; forget that and just call me Rene!)

kaiyen
10-14-2006, 12:35
Rene (phew, thanks),
So - start at like noon and shoot for 24 hours? Or just shoot when you can during those 24 hours? What if you only shoot 1 hour that day? What if you shoot only 30 minutes during lunch?

You can be as loose or as strict as you want. My 24 hour project is loose _EXCEPT_ for the need to get coverage all 24 hours eventually, either through one person or multiple groups. Obviously, with this many people in the project you'll likely get all 24 hours anyway, but is it _planned_ or just _hoped_for_? That's al I"m asking. I'm agnositic for the purposes of this project (as compared to my own project).

allan

doitashimash1te
10-14-2006, 12:39
Rene (phew, thanks),
So - start at like noon and shoot for 24 hours? Or just shoot when you can during those 24 hours? What if you only shoot 1 hour that day? What if you shoot only 30 minutes during lunch?

You can be as loose or as strict as you want. My 24 hour project is loose _EXCEPT_ for the need to get coverage all 24 hours eventually, either through one person or multiple groups.

allan

Allan, what I had in mind when I started this thread was more like shooting what you can during those 24 hours, the more you can do the better. But if you can shoot only 30 minutes during lunch, that's okay too. However that would limit your chances of producing the keepers you'd like to submit.

kaiyen
10-14-2006, 12:52
Rene,
Okay - I was just asking for clarification, which I think you understood. It dawned on me that some might think I was advocating one way or the other.

So totally free. Just shoot for some part or all of that day. Roger that.

allan

RML
10-14-2006, 22:56
Kaiyen, if you could help set up a blog, that would be real swell. :p But no need to host it on your own account. Wordpress, Blogger et al provide plenty of space so we can just host it on the blog site.

IMO, as Rene already made clear, we can just shoot that day whatever we can. If that means you can do the whole 24 hours, that's fine. If it means you can only do a few shots, that's fine too.

telenous
10-14-2006, 23:05
I 've just took notice of this thread and it will be a great pleasure to participate. Please count me in.

doitashimash1te
10-14-2006, 23:15
THIRTY-FIVE!

Who's next?

1 - doitashimash1te
2 - Jon Claremont
3 - RML
4 - kunger
5 - jonasv
6 - jorisbens
7 - gabrielma
8 - popstar
9 - Trius
10 - kingster
11 - Marc-A.
12 - Goodyear
13 - iml
14 - jody
15 - [email protected]
16 - FrankS
17 - DavidH
18 - Gid
19 - gregg
20 - Ash
21 - rogue_designer
22 - pesphoto
23 - nzeeman
24 - mascarenhas
25 - KM-25
26 - sheepdog
27 - GeneW
28 - Davor
29 - adep
30 - formal
31 - existrandom
32 - dostacos
33 - ManGo
34 - kaiyen
35 - telenous

kunger
10-15-2006, 00:27
I love the idea of a book. There is a very good POD worth checking out. Yes, it is substantially more expensive than lulu.com, BUT I think that you'll all agree that the quality is substanially much better. They also offer the services that a major publisher would offer, for additional cost of course, but in the end the published product will be that much better.

http://www.fastbackbooks.com/services.htm

Hope this helps,

Kevin

doitashimash1te
10-15-2006, 00:41
I love the idea of a book. There is a very good POD worth checking out. Yes, it is substantially more expensive than lulu.com, BUT I think that you'll all agree that the quality is substanially much better. They also offer the services that a major publisher would offer, for additional cost of course, but in the end the published product will be that much better.

http://www.fastbackbooks.com/services.htm

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Thanks! This might be a great alternative to lulu. Especially for a photo book, print quality is very important. The additional cost will be a non-issue provided that we find the right sponsor(s).

Let's put this one (fastbackbooks.com) on our list of lulu-alternatives. Later on, ManGo might add some more options to this list.

popstar
10-15-2006, 06:53
Even though March is still several months away, can I just say I'm excited about doing this?! And I'm impressed with the level of discourse on the subject too. On some other sites, the thread would have dissolved into a list of why this can't happen. Here there's just healthy debate. Very nice alternative!!

RML
10-15-2006, 10:42
Bumping the thread. :)

RML
10-15-2006, 23:14
Another bump. :)

RML
10-16-2006, 10:58
Hey! Is no-one else interested? :(

MartinP
10-16-2006, 11:00
Ah well, I have never done this sort of thing before - but that is all the more reason to start now. Please add me to the list of prospective 'toggies, even though I haven't even got anything in the gallery (yet).

Am I being completely daft if I say that this shoot will be for 36 hours ? It may be 24 hours at any one point - but the new day, and those 24 hours, depends on where you are doesn't it..... ?

"EQUINOX photo project - thirty-six hours changed by the world" or something like that.

rbiemer
10-16-2006, 11:21
This sounds like some good clean fun! I'd like to participate as well. I like the "open" format as well.
Rob

Honus
10-16-2006, 11:46
If there is still room on the bus, I'll take a seat as well.

Robert

doitashimash1te
10-16-2006, 13:06
MartinP, rbiemer and Honus, welcome aboard!

Ah well, I have never done this sort of thing before - but that is all the more reason to start now. Please add me to the list of prospective 'toggies, even though I haven't even got anything in the gallery (yet).

Am I being completely daft if I say that this shoot will be for 36 hours ? It may be 24 hours at any one point - but the new day, and those 24 hours, depends on where you are doesn't it..... ?

"EQUINOX photo project - thirty-six hours changed by the world" or something like that.

The shooting will last as long as it is March 21, 2007 anywhere on the globe. In order to submit your picture(s) it/they have to be shot on March 21, 2007, your local time.

@Honus: the bus is never full enough!

@RML: thanks for keeping the bus rolling...

doitashimash1te
10-16-2006, 13:42
WHAT: a "Shoot all day" event

WHEN: Wednesday, March 21, 2007, a.k.a. "Autumn" (or "Spring" depending where you are) Equinox

WHERE: anywhere on this planet

WHO: anyone who is able and willing to spend some time (the more the better) on March 21, 2007, to shoot pictures for this worldwide event

WHAT CAMERA / SUBJECTS / TECHNIQUE: this is all up to you. Anything goes (well I mean, as long as it is legal, it will be alright ;-)

WHAT DO I DO NOW: just post to this thread, telling us "you're in" - or something like that

WHAT DO I DO AFTER THAT: just wait for the day to come (3/21, 2007) then shoot as many pictures as you can that day, and submit your best ones. In the meantime, watch this thread from time to time, to learn about the details and/or to participate in the preparations phase

WHY: to be shown in galleries in as many places as possible, to be published in a photo book, to be part of a worldwide event and to benefit charity (on which we will decide later on, in a poll)

Subscribers so far:

1 - doitashimash1te
2 - Jon Claremont
3 - RML
4 - kunger
5 - jonasv
6 - jorisbens
7 - gabrielma
8 - popstar
9 - Trius
10 - kingster
11 - Marc-A.
12 - Goodyear
13 - iml
14 - jody
15 - [email protected]
16 - FrankS
17 - DavidH
18 - Gid
19 - gregg
20 - Ash
21 - rogue_designer
22 - pesphoto
23 - nzeeman
24 - mascarenhas
25 - KM-25
26 - sheepdog
27 - GeneW
28 - Davor
29 - adep
30 - formal
31 - existrandom
32 - dostacos
33 - ManGo
34 - kaiyen
35 - telenous
36 - MartinP
37 - rbiemer
38 - Honus
39 - ???

FrankS
10-16-2006, 13:51
I'm excited, can I join twice? :)

Just wondering, how will the images be selected for inclusion? Participants will edit and submit their best 1,2,3? then....?

ballfresno
10-16-2006, 14:11
Although I find it difficult to plan this far ahead... please count me in (and I'll keep my fingers crossed that work doesn't interfere at the last minute)!

Don Parsons
10-16-2006, 14:11
I'm in!

Please post a reminder as the day gets closer.

don

doitashimash1te
10-17-2006, 04:04
ballfresno and Don Parsons: thanks for joining!

I'm in!

Please post a reminder as the day gets closer.

don

I will make sure that every participant will receive a reminder say 3 or 4 weeks before.

RML
10-17-2006, 09:18
Martin: keep those slogans coming. We need osme catchy slogan to whip the galleries with into action and letting us host a show. :)

Frank: I guess everyone just has to be really critical of his/her shooting and select 1-2-3 photos for inclusion in the show, book, slide show, whathaveyou. If the submitter can also give them a gold, silver or bronze medal than we know which photo should go in before all the others, just in case we have too many photos. Right now we're at 40 participants. That times 3 photos each and we already have 120 photos. More than in RFF book 2.

jonasv
10-17-2006, 09:34
I don't think we should limit the amount of photos per person. What about giving everyone say, a double-page and let them suggest a lay-out.

Many small pictures, one double-page spread, two vertical pics, ... And in the back of the book some info per page about the pictures and the photographer.

Trius
10-17-2006, 09:43
Add me on and keep me posted. The only glich might be one of my clients is the Ski Company, powder days have been known to be O-plenty in March.

This would be a perfect excuse to work on my Kodachrome project.
Hmmm... that is a good idea. Maybe I could use it as a Kodachrome day, and involve current and former Kodak employees here in Rochester who have or had a direct connection with Kodachrome. As well as other Kodachrome shots, of course.

jonasv
10-17-2006, 09:44
oh, by the way, you can count on me if you're looking for someone to do the book's lay-out. I've quite a bit of experience with Adobe InDesign and magazine lay-outing.

doitashimash1te
10-17-2006, 12:09
oh, by the way, you can count on me if you're looking for someone to do the book's lay-out. I've quite a bit of experience with Adobe InDesign and magazine lay-outing.

That would be great! Thanks a lot. Your help will be needed.

icebear
10-17-2006, 12:12
Hi folks, I would like to join you for the 1 day shootout, if that really will turn out in a book that would be something. It really sounds interesting enough that we might have a chance. Count me in 40+ ?:D

doitashimash1te
10-17-2006, 12:20
I don't think we should limit the amount of photos per person. What about giving everyone say, a double-page and let them suggest a lay-out.

Many small pictures, one double-page spread, two vertical pics, ... And in the back of the book some info per page about the pictures and the photographer.
I agree with you. I was thinking of not putting a limit on the amount of pictures submitted by one person, and in order to come to a selection, setting up a well thought out selection process like (for example) a poll in which every participant votes for the three (of four, or five, whatever) best pictures of every participant (including his/her own ones - why not).

So we (all the participants together) will be our own "jury" then.

That way, we will end up with a selection of pictures "we" consider "the best we have to offer".

Any ideas on this?

popstar
10-17-2006, 18:51
Interesting idea Rene. I have no problem having others give input on the photos selected. Sometimes it's easy to get attached to a photo or two that others really don't get. It can be helpful to have that objetive criticism to make our work (or in this case, the 'book') stronger. If there is a way to pull off such a massive poll I think it might be helpful.

FrankS
10-17-2006, 19:02
...and in order to come to a selection, setting up a well thought out selection process like (for example) a poll in which every participant votes for the three (of four, or five, whatever) best pictures of every participant (including his/her own ones - why not).
That way, we will end up with a selection of pictures "we" consider "the best we have to offer".
Any ideas on this?

I agree with this method of selection process.

jonasv
10-17-2006, 23:55
I agree with you. I was thinking of not putting a limit on the amount of pictures submitted by one person, and in order to come to a selection, setting up a well thought out selection process like (for example) a poll in which every participant votes for the three (of four, or five, whatever) best pictures of every participant (including his/her own ones - why not).

Any ideas on this?

I don't really feel like voting on fifty polls and looking at, say, 500 images to select from... Sorry, just don't have time to do this well and I think not a lot of people have. And the eventual selection being made by people who just glimpsed over the picture for a second... No thanks.

I disagree that others should select the pictures. If you're unsure, sure, put up a poll and ask for input. But everyone who wants to should have the right to choose his own pictures...

And moreover I also disagree that the number of pictures should be limited. Not only in the uploading/selection process, but also in the final publication. I think people should get a maximum amount of SPACE, not PICTURES. Someone who shoots carefully composed medium format slides with brilliant tonality may want to publish just one photo in a double-page spread for everyone to admire it. Someone else, a believer in the snapshot-aesthetic may like to show say ten pictures, some small and some a bit bigger, on that same double-page space to show of his vision, the process of his picture-taking or his documentary style.

I don't think someone else can judge this.

RML
10-18-2006, 00:04
I agree with you, Jonas.

icebear
10-18-2006, 04:26
Hi Doitashimash1te,

I see an issue with the poll selection process : very similar pictures of the same topic (e.g. sunrise) get high votes. Consequently we end up with a showcase of the RFF comunity that might very well be boring when put together as a book because so many of us love the same kind of pictures.
My suggestion to have some of our seasoned members (definately not newbies like myself) make a hard core session that means go actually to view ALL submissions and cut them down to let's say 150 just based on each individual picture. Followed by a final cut to the limit that will be published taking a look at all pictures and remove e.g. some of the sunrises when there are simply too many.
Just my 2 cts.

RML
10-18-2006, 10:47
Even us hardcore oldtimers don't always have wisdom, icebear, though I guess we should feel flattered. :) I think most of us are very well capable of making a selection from our own selections. For the previous RFF books we also never put photos to the vote but let people come up with what they considered their best/ most inspirational/ most interesting/ etc photos. No questions asked, no judgement passed. It turned out that the quality of the individual photos was quite high.

FrankS
10-18-2006, 13:06
Okay, now I agree with this viewpoint. :(

kbg32
10-18-2006, 13:13
I give this a shot if I may, if it's not too late.

doitashimash1te
10-18-2006, 13:17
jonasv, RML and icebear, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the proposed selection process.

Yes, I see what you mean, and it made me reconsider the idea of a group-wise selection.

Some people will want to make their own selection, and are confident that they will be able to recognize their best ones, where others feel they lack the self-criticism necessary to select the right images.

So how about having people make their own selection, no questions asked, no judgement passed, and only when they are in doubt, they MAY ask the other rff'ers for input, in the form of a poll or otherwise.

RML
10-18-2006, 13:22
jonasv, RML and icebear, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the proposed selection process.

Yes, I see what you mean, and it made me reconsider the idea of a group-wise selection.

Some people will want to make their own selection, and are confident that they will be able to recognize their best ones, where others feel they lack the self-criticism necessary to select the right images.

So how about having people make their own selection, no questions asked, no judgement passed, and only when they are in doubt, they MAY ask the other rff'ers for input, in the form of a poll or otherwise.

Sounds fine, Rene.
People can always upload some photos in a thread or in their gallery and ask people to choose for them. I did in the past. :)

Keith: of course you're not too late!

10-18-2006, 13:39
Being new here what attracted me to this project was just the thought of getting out with a bunch of like minded people enjoying photography. The thought of a possible book or exhibition was icing on the cake. My thoughts are more aligned with the thinking we should submit our own photos for a designated amount of space. I have trusted people that will give me feedback on the images I believe I should submit. My guess is that members here have that as well and while I don't know anyone here personally, there are photographers that I hope to get to know and would value their feedback, but that will come over time.

I'm excited about this and was drawn to this forum by someone who had directed me to the LULU site and the forum books that have previously been published. It's quite the honor to be able to participate in something similar.

Just one man's opinion.

Larry
http://haydenphotos.blogspot.com/

RML
10-19-2006, 00:49
Welcome to the bunch, Larry. :)

doitashimash1te
10-19-2006, 04:41

WHEN: Wednesday, March 21, 2007, a.k.a. "Autumn" (or "Spring" depending where you are) Equinox

WHO: anyone who is able and willing to spend some time (the more the better) on March 21, 2007, to shoot pictures for this worldwide event

WHAT CAMERA / SUBJECTS / TECHNIQUE: this is all up to you. Anything goes (well I mean, as long as it is legal, it will be alright ;-)

WHAT DO I DO NOW: just post to this thread, telling us "you're in" - or something like that

WHAT DO I DO AFTER THAT: just wait for the day to come (3/21, 2007) then shoot as many pictures as you can that day, and submit your best ones (you'll be your own judge here). In the meantime, watch this thread from time to time, to learn about the details and/or to participate in the preparations phase

WHY: to be shown in galleries in as many places as possible, to be published in a photo book, to be part of a worldwide event and to benefit charity (on which we will decide later on, in a poll)

Subscribers so far (in chronological order):

1 - doitashimash1te
2 - Jon Claremont
3 - RML
4 - kunger
5 - jonasv
6 - jorisbens
7 - gabrielma
8 - popstar
9 - Trius
10 - kingster
11 - Marc-A.
12 - Goodyear
13 - iml
14 - jody
15 - [email protected]
16 - FrankS
17 - DavidH
18 - Gid
19 - gregg
20 - Ash
21 - rogue_designer
22 - pesphoto
23 - nzeeman
24 - mascarenhas
25 - KM-25
26 - sheepdog
27 - GeneW
28 - Davor
29 - adep
30 - formal
31 - existrandom
32 - dostacos
33 - ManGo
34 - kaiyen
35 - telenous
36 - MartinP
37 - rbiemer
38 - Honus
39 - ballfresno
40 - Don Parsons
41 - icebear
42 - kbg32
43 - ???

marcust101
10-19-2006, 04:53
Count me in, Pitures from dublin

doitashimash1te
10-19-2006, 04:58
Craic! Welcome Ireland.

lubitel
10-19-2006, 05:52
I'd like to shoot on March 21 as well. :) Will have to be during lunch and before work.

doitashimash1te
10-19-2006, 06:26
Herzlichen Wilkommen Deutschland!

Thanks for joining!

doitashimash1te
10-21-2006, 00:36
Bumping the thread.

Superbus_
10-21-2006, 00:45
hello, this is a great plan!

Count me in. I will shoot my pictures for this worldwide event during my lunch time :)

Budapest, Hungary

doitashimash1te
10-21-2006, 00:49
Welcome Hungary! Great to have you aboard!

RML
10-21-2006, 10:57
I see lots of motivated people! :)

The tally is now at 46. Who'll bring it to 50?!

doitashimash1te
10-22-2006, 14:06
Bumping...

gb hill
10-22-2006, 14:32
Count me in too!! I like being in the top 50! Or heck i'll settle for 51 as long as I have an excuse to go out and shoot...:D

nico
10-22-2006, 15:10
count me in too,
Nico
lucca italy

Trius
10-22-2006, 18:09
Nico: Where I grew up there was a family, the Baldinis, who were from Lucca. They had a restaurant (still do, I think) called The Lucca Grill; I never went there, but next time I go back I will. And I'll take some photos. Won't be on Equinox, though.

doitashimash1te
10-23-2006, 00:55
Welcome gb hill and nico! Thank you for joining. We're at 47 now.

manfromh
10-23-2006, 01:06
Sign me up. I just hope I wont run out of the film the day before.

RML
10-23-2006, 09:20
49, actually! :)

Keep the ball rolling!

doitashimash1te
10-23-2006, 10:35
49, actually! :)

Keep the ball rolling!

Uh? Oh. Well, time for an updated participants list. I'll work on it, and post it right away.

@manfromh: welcome! Glad to have someone from Estonia as well.

doitashimash1te
10-23-2006, 10:39

WHAT DO I DO AFTER THAT: just wait for the day to come (3/21, 2007) then shoot as many pictures as you can that day, and submit your best ones (you'll be your own judge here). In the meantime, watch this thread from time to time, to learn about the details and/or to participate in the preparations phase

1 - doitashimash1te
2 - Jon Claremont
3 - RML
4 - kunger
5 - jonasv
6 - jorisbens
7 - gabrielma
8 - popstar
9 - Trius
10 - kingster
11 - Marc-A.
12 - Goodyear
13 - iml
14 - jody
15 - [email protected]
16 - FrankS
17 - DavidH
18 - Gid
19 - gregg
20 - Ash
21 - rogue_designer
22 - pesphoto
23 - nzeeman
24 - mascarenhas
25 - KM-25
26 - sheepdog
27 - GeneW
28 - Davor
29 - adep
30 - formal
31 - existrandom
32 - dostacos
33 - ManGo
34 - kaiyen
35 - telenous
36 - MartinP
37 - rbiemer
38 - Honus
39 - ballfresno
40 - Don Parsons
41 - icebear
42 - kbg32
43 - marcust101
44 - lubitel
45 - Superbus_
46 - gb hill
47 - nico
48 - manfromh

nico
10-23-2006, 11:02
Nico: Where I grew up there was a family, the Baldinis, who were from Lucca. They had a restaurant (still do, I think) called The Lucca Grill; I never went there, but next time I go back I will. And I'll take some photos. Won't be on Equinox, though.

hi Trius,
Baldini is a typical surname of many people living in Lucca and villages around it.
It would be nice and interesting if you would ask them where do they exactly (which village) are caming from, but , first of all, if you go to that restaurant I hope you'll enjoy your meal!!
bye
Nico

RML
10-23-2006, 22:02
Ah, I see! The list is indeed 48 strong. I had one double entry.

But 48 is still not 50! Come on! Get involved! :)

ClaremontPhoto
10-23-2006, 22:10
I had one double entry.

Accept the double entry, and tell them to take photos over two days, not just one.

RML
10-24-2006, 09:54
Accept the double entry, and tell them to take photos over two days, not just one.

You mean on Spring equinox and Autumn equinox? :p

Marc-A.
10-24-2006, 10:05

Oh no ... if it's only on Earth, I can't then ... btw when is the equinox on mars?
:D :D :D

Marc

doitashimash1te
10-24-2006, 13:56
Oh no ... if it's only on Earth, I can't then ... btw when is the equinox on mars?

Marc

Don't take "on earth" too literally, being in orbit counts as well ;-)

Michael W
10-25-2006, 09:01
Count me in! Also, I've got quite a bit of hosting space available on my plan, so if you're in need of space, I'm happy to donate.

All the best,

Michael

doitashimash1te
10-25-2006, 09:20
Welcome Michael W! Thanks for joining us. Also thanks for offering web space, that is very welcome too!

Gabriel M.A.
10-25-2006, 17:00

Marc
I know. It will be a little too difficult to do it on the "South" Pole, for the lack of "Sun". Or is that "Antarctic" Pole, and Closest-burning-yellow-star? ;)

RML
10-27-2006, 01:46
Still "only" 49! :)

Ash
10-27-2006, 02:02
We ought to reach at least 100 people, cmon so many of you on this forum are too shy :D

RML
10-27-2006, 02:29
Indeed! Nearly 8000 members and we can't even get 1% of them to make a commitment for next year's Spring equinox! :p

Ash
10-27-2006, 02:58
Some people eh?? tsk tsk!

steamer
10-27-2006, 03:17
Deal me in.

Steamer

Archie
10-27-2006, 04:37
I'm in too, sounds like a lot of fun

When will be the deadline for sending in photos? (How much time for darkroom work?)

RML
10-27-2006, 05:42
Steamer, Archie, welcome to the bunch!

I guess we do have to set a submit-before date.
With digital people can upload in seconds but I guess with film things will take a bit longer.

How about a week?
Is that too short? Too long? Just right?

Archie
10-27-2006, 06:50
I'd prefer 2 weeks, even if it'd be ok with one, but you never know what will happen. Then you don't have to forget some shipping time if we analogue guys use prints, depends what works better for the "collectors".

pesphoto
10-27-2006, 06:52
have to agree on 2 weeks for film users and darkroom printers

MartinP
10-27-2006, 07:24
This is a good point. In what format are the submissions initially best required ? Should everything be scanned ready for repro, or is some poor soul going to end up with a hundred 10"x 12"prints to scan ?!

It might be more practical for the photographers to look after the digitising of the results, for the first useage (selection?) at least - in which case the specifications for file size and output destination need to be agreed on somehow.

I am talking about the initial production of "whatever-it-is" of course. By the time anything might get to the stage of hanging on a wall it will be months later.

It is more complicated than I thought !

Archie
10-27-2006, 13:59
it will be indeed very complicated

I think it'd help those guys creating the book when we send the data digital. different layouts (when we stick with 2 pages / user) and sizes should be declared here.

ah and btw. I want to shoot this event with a rangefinder, so anybody willing to sell his/her oly 35rd? :D

Ash
10-27-2006, 14:11
Should digital images be in RGB or CMYK? what dpi? etc etc etc....

I could get mine in within days, unless I go to wet printing.

I think if we give people just over 2 weeks, that way the photo's can be taken, sent away for processing if needs be, and given time to get onto the pc, post-processed and emailed.

I'd say given people's lives outside the forum 3 weeks should be the deadline, but work should be submitted ASAP, that way you have work submitted over a period that should make a workload more easy to deal with??

reagan
10-27-2006, 15:32
How is it I don't see my name on the list? Ohhhh, now I get it. Because I haven't said, "Count me in!" yet. I'm always late for the good parties. :( Okay, so COUNT ME IN!

(And when the RFF 2007 Calendar gets up and going, we can arrange to have reminders emailed to us.)

Maybe round the first of the year, we might start a serparate thread, "Ideas for Equinox-Shoot-All-Day"

doitashimash1te
10-28-2006, 01:09
Update Saturday, Oct. 28, 2006

1 - doitashimash1te
2 - Jon Claremont
3 - RML
4 - kunger
5 - jonasv
6 - jorisbens
7 - gabrielma
8 - popstar
9 - Trius
10 - kingster
11 - Marc-A.
12 - Goodyear
13 - iml
14 - jody
15 - [email protected]
16 - FrankS
17 - DavidH
18 - Gid
19 - gregg
20 - Ash
21 - rogue_designer
22 - pesphoto
23 - nzeeman
24 - mascarenhas
25 - KM-25
26 - sheepdog
27 - GeneW
28 - Davor
29 - adep
30 - formal
31 - existrandom
32 - dostacos
33 - ManGo
34 - kaiyen
35 - telenous
36 - MartinP
37 - rbiemer
38 - Honus
39 - ballfresno
40 - Don Parsons
41 - icebear
42 - kbg32
43 - marcust101
44 - lubitel
45 - Superbus_
46 - gb hill
47 - nico
48 - manfromh
49 - Michael W
50 - steamer
51 - Archie
52 - CVBLZ4

Ash
10-28-2006, 02:54
Is this thread a sticky yet?

doitashimash1te
10-28-2006, 03:08
Is this thread a sticky yet?

No, it isn't.

Ash
10-28-2006, 03:09
doitashimash1te, that was what I was hinting :D

Vagabond
10-28-2006, 05:10
Sounds like a fantastic idea. Please count me in.

doitashimash1te
10-31-2006, 04:44
Welcome Vagabond from Hatboro, and thanks for joining!

Any more people interested? We need at least a hundred people for this world wide event!

kuvvy
10-31-2006, 04:53
I'll give it a go if you'll have me. I'm gonna start thinking of suitable ideas, themes and locations now so I'm hopefully gonna have shots worthy of sending in.

doitashimash1te
10-31-2006, 04:57
I'll give it a go if you'll have me. I'm gonna start thinking of suitable ideas, themes and locations now so I'm hopefully gonna have shots worthy of sending in.

Kuvvy thanks for joining our Equinox shoot. Happy to have you here!

rbiemer
10-31-2006, 05:52
doitashimash1te,
I wonder, do we have all the time zones covered? I don't remember my long ago geography classes well enough, are there any time zones with out land? This is getting more interesting as we get more people involved!
Rob

Nigel Meaby
10-31-2006, 05:54
I'm up for it too. Count me in please!

doitashimash1te
10-31-2006, 06:06
@rbiemer: fortunately, there are no time zones without land:
http://www.signaturelandscapes.com/images/world%20time%20zones.gif

But it will still be a challenge to cover ALL the time zones...

@Nigel Meaby: welcome and thanks!

RML
11-02-2006, 05:53
Slowly but steadily the list is growing!

About any files for a book. Here on RFF we've been involved in 2 rff books already so the knowledge is present. However, since this is an "open to any camera" venture, I don't think we should consider this a _3rd_ RFF book as the 2 earlier books were open only to photos taken with rangefinders.

The more photos per photographer (and the more of them too) the bigger the book will become, and the more expensive as well. We could go for a 2-way approach: make a Lulu.com book for those who want to buy a hard copy, and a PDF file for those who want a digital version (and perhaps print it themselves). With the previous rff books we opted for no markup and thus no profit as dividing the proceeds would become incredilbly difficult, and we'd be talking about peanuts per photographer anyway.

About exhibitions I know nothing useful. I guess everyone could organise one in his/her area, get it all set up and finalised, and approach the participants to send prints ready for exhibition (matted or boarded and all). I'd go for a mat of 50x40cm with a print of up to 30x20, which is what the dutch amateur photography federation uses for its contests and such. Sending such a package shouldn't cost too much from anywhere to anywhere. Tom O'Meara just send me a similar print on board (Print Swap 8) and the shipping was $5 from the USA to Holland by USPS.

RML
11-03-2006, 01:57
Hey! When I said "Slowly but steadily the list is growing!" I was emphasising the "steadily"! Not the "slowly"!

So, come on! Who's gonna be nr 56, 57, 58 etc?!

tblanston
11-03-2006, 02:39
Ah, I will particupate surely. Throw my name in.

Archie
11-03-2006, 07:24
But if we go for a profit, which organisation will benefit from it?

When we could find a worldwide organisation, maybe some photographers could portait this organisation in their country on equinox.

FrankS
11-03-2006, 07:30
Mailing these mounted prints from one location to another is going to add up. Hope we find a sponsor!

Ash
11-03-2006, 07:48
Anyone got Pepsi's HQ on speed-dial?

RML
11-03-2006, 10:21

And counting...? :p

RML
11-05-2006, 01:54
No more takers...?

ChrisN
11-05-2006, 02:25
Assuming I'm able, I'd like to join in this event.

What we need is a map to put pins in to mark where the participants are, like the map on Rich Silfvers blog: http://silfver.blogspot.com/2006/10/hello-anybody-out-there.html

Mind you, that has me 100km out in the ocean at the moment!

Archie
11-05-2006, 02:42
here's the map:

Guestmap for Equinox (http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/showguestmap.do?id=azrael3000)

Ash
11-05-2006, 04:45
Assuming I'm able, I'd like to join in this event.

What we need is a map to put pins in to mark where the participants are, like the map on Rich Silfvers blog: http://silfver.blogspot.com/2006/10/hello-anybody-out-there.html

Mind you, that has me 100km out in the ocean at the moment!

How's the water? :D

doitashimash1te
11-05-2006, 12:30
Update Sunday, Nov. 5, 2006

1 - doitashimash1te
2 - Jon Claremont
3 - RML
4 - kunger
5 - jonasv
6 - jorisbens
7 - gabrielma
8 - popstar
9 - Trius
10 - kingster
11 - Marc-A.
12 - Goodyear
13 - iml
14 - jody
15 - [email protected]
16 - FrankS
17 - DavidH
18 - Gid
19 - gregg
20 - Ash
21 - rogue_designer
22 - pesphoto
23 - nzeeman
24 - mascarenhas
25 - KM-25
26 - sheepdog
27 - GeneW
28 - Davor
29 - adep
30 - formal
31 - existrandom
32 - dostacos
33 - ManGo
34 - kaiyen
35 - telenous
36 - MartinP
37 - rbiemer
38 - Honus
39 - ballfresno
40 - Don Parsons
41 - icebear
42 - kbg32
43 - marcust101
44 - lubitel
45 - Superbus_
46 - gb hill
47 - nico
48 - manfromh
49 - Michael W
50 - steamer
51 - Archie
52 - CVBLZ4
53 - Vagabond
54 - kuvvy
55 - Nigel Meaby
56 - tblanston
57 - ChrisN

Diomedes
11-07-2006, 22:52
I'm in !!! :)

doitashimash1te
11-08-2006, 08:42
Welcome Diomedes from Croatia!

Who's next?

RML
11-14-2006, 05:07
58!

Who's gonna be 59? :)

doitashimash1te
11-17-2006, 08:40
Bumping the thread.

amateriat
11-18-2006, 11:08
How on Earth did I miss this one?

Count me in, "absitively!"

- Barrett

RML
11-18-2006, 12:14
59! :) Great!

mwooten
11-18-2006, 15:56
Count me in too

John Rountree
11-18-2006, 16:38
I would like to join in also.

RML
11-19-2006, 01:59
61! :)

A few more and we're up to 100

c.poulton
11-19-2006, 04:02
I would prefer to make it really about photos taken on that 21st March but I'm willing to be persuaded.

IMO the "trouble" we have to put in on that wednesday will force us to really think about our shooting. We won't have time much so we have to make choices, tough choices: getting up early to catch the first rays, bringing the camera to work to shoot a shot during lunch break, thinking about what we will shoot in advance and plan for it, etc.

For me that would be half the challenge of that day.

Yes, that will be the challenge for me too, however count me in - it sounds like a great idea.

With the undoubtedly large number of photographs submitted, is there going to be any 'judging' or spliting into themes, or is this asking too much?

RML
11-19-2006, 11:13
IMO no theme. And I think we should set a limit to the maximum number of photos submitted per person. But it's not yet March, so we have time. :)

DMG
11-19-2006, 11:24
sounds good count me in (if that's cool)

RML
11-19-2006, 12:00
62 sofar. 13 more to make it 75. 28 to make it 100. Shouldn't be too hard with 8262 members on RFF!

n8b
11-19-2006, 12:55
I'm in. This sounds like a great idea! A full day of shooting.

_nate_

Toby
11-19-2006, 13:08
I'd be more than happy to join in, but I'd really like some kind of theme to think about. I know most of us think the opposite but surely we should have something to unify the work then there is a possibilty of a book or exhibition. If it's eqinox then maybe equality? equilibrium? If we have months to think about it then collectively we should try and really push ourselves to do the best work we possibly can.

Fedzilla_Bob
11-19-2006, 13:50
Count me in

jl-lb.ms
11-19-2006, 14:10
I'm in, happily. Thanks for the concept.

reagan
11-19-2006, 19:19
"I'd be more than happy to join in, but I'd really like some kind of theme to think about."I'm in no matter what, but the fact that people all over the planet are shooting on the same day to share their unique creativity with each other... is a pretty good theme. Sharing ideas, thoughts, brainstorming ahead of time concerning who/what/where/how individuals are planning to shoot that day would probably help others get ideas and promote that creativity. Just a thought.

I'm expecting a very w-i-d-e variety of styles, methods and subjects, as diverse as the membership of RFF. Should be great!

RML
11-19-2006, 22:13
67! Woohoo. :)

Toby, I know quite a few people would love to have a theme to focus on but as the pastor said, I think the fact we're all shooting on Spring Equinox is already a pretty goof theme. However, no-one is preventing you from choosing your own theme for that day.

rover
11-21-2006, 03:23
68 with me Remy.

froyd
11-21-2006, 04:53
Great idea. I'd love to participate.

I'll work my way to 20 pages of posts in this thread, if I have to, but it be easier if somebody could let me know whether the process for image submission has been determined yet.

Can the first post in the thread be edited to include the "rules" as they are determined? Date, # of photos per submission, deadline for submission, etc.

RML
11-21-2006, 07:02
Welcome rover and froyd. :)

About the rules... maybe my esteemed colleague can post an overview?

About the submission rules... I don't think that has been discussed and decided yet.

Topdog1
11-21-2006, 15:45
The most amazing "Equinox" photo I know is the attached by Dennis di Cicco, shot in the late 70's over a period of a year at 8:30AM in the morning. Yes, this is a single multiple exposure image, not doctored digitally. It shows the Analemma of the Sun's way in quite graphical form. Both Eqinoxes (autumnal and vernal) are at the center left where the loops come together. The soltices are at the extremes of the loops. Dennis di Cicco is an editor and photographer for Sky and Telescope Magazine, where you can also purchase large copies of this photo. I remember the first time I saw it it left me speechless.

Regards,
Ira

back alley
11-21-2006, 15:51
i'm waiting so i can be #100...:)

great pic ira, thanks for showing it.

joe

doitashimash1te
11-26-2006, 00:01
Update Sunday, Nov. 26, 2006

Subscribers World Map (thank you Archie): http://www.mapservices.org/myguestma...?id=azrael3000 (http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/showguestmap.do?id=azrael3000)

1 - doitashimash1te
2 - Jon Claremont
3 - RML
4 - kunger
5 - jonasv
6 - jorisbens
7 - gabrielma
8 - popstar
9 - Trius
10 - kingster
11 - Marc-A.
12 - Goodyear
13 - iml
14 - jody
15 - [email protected]
16 - FrankS
17 - DavidH
18 - Gid
19 - gregg
20 - Ash
21 - rogue_designer
22 - pesphoto
23 - nzeeman
24 - mascarenhas
25 - KM-25
26 - sheepdog
27 - GeneW
28 - Davor
29 - adep
30 - formal
31 - existrandom
32 - dostacos
33 - ManGo
34 - kaiyen
35 - telenous
36 - MartinP
37 - rbiemer
38 - Honus
39 - ballfresno
40 - Don Parsons
41 - icebear
42 - kbg32
43 - marcust101
44 - lubitel
45 - Superbus_
46 - gb hill
47 - nico
48 - manfromh
49 - Michael W
50 - steamer
51 - Archie
52 - CVBLZ4
53 - Vagabond
54 - kuvvy
55 - Nigel Meaby
56 - tblanston
57 - ChrisN
58 - Diomedes
59 - amateriat
60 - mwooten
61 - B. Czar
62 - c.poulton
63 - DMG
64 - n8b
65 - Fedzilla_Bob
66 - jl-lb.ms
67 - CVBLZ4
68 - rover
69 - froyd
70 - back alley

william3954
12-05-2006, 07:27
Count me in.

Topdog1
12-05-2006, 09:02
Count me in, too.

/Ira

Gabriel M.A.
12-05-2006, 09:11
The most amazing "Equinox" photo I know is the attached by Dennis di Cicco, shot in the late 70's over a period of a year at 8:30AM in the morning. <snip> I remember the first time I saw it it left me speechless.

Thanks for sharing, Ira. So that's where that loop comes from. Learn something every day.

hth
12-05-2006, 09:23
Count me in as well!

/Håkan

Topdog1
12-05-2006, 09:25
Thanks for sharing, Ira. So that's where that loop comes from. Learn something every day.

Here is a very interesting article on the analemma and analemma photography. Perhaps someone would like to start an analemma project on the Equinox this year?

http://www.analemma.de/english/analem.html

Regards,
Ira

lkgroup
12-05-2006, 12:12
Count me in, also.

Leo

RML
12-07-2006, 00:01
4 new signees! Great :)

doitashimash1te
12-13-2006, 10:44
Update Wednesay, Dec. 13, 2006

Subscribers World Map (thank you Archie): http://www.mapservices.org/myguestma...?id=azrael3000 (http://www.mapservices.org/myguestmap/showguestmap.do?id=azrael3000)

1 - doitashimash1te
2 - Jon Claremont
3 - RML
4 - kunger
5 - jonasv
6 - jorisbens
7 - gabrielma
8 - popstar
9 - Trius
10 - kingster
11 - Marc-A.
12 - Goodyear
13 - iml
14 - jody
15 - [email protected]
16 - FrankS
17 - DavidH
18 - Gid
19 - gregg
20 - Ash
21 - rogue_designer
22 - pesphoto
23 - nzeeman
24 - mascarenhas
25 - KM-25
26 - sheepdog
27 - GeneW
28 - Davor
29 - adep
30 - formal
31 - existrandom
32 - dostacos
33 - ManGo
34 - kaiyen
35 - telenous
36 - MartinP
37 - rbiemer
38 - Honus
39 - ballfresno
40 - Don Parsons
41 - icebear
42 - kbg32
43 - marcust101
44 - lubitel
45 - Superbus_
46 - gb hill
47 - nico
48 - manfromh
49 - Michael W
50 - steamer
51 - Archie
52 - CVBLZ4
53 - Vagabond
54 - kuvvy
55 - Nigel Meaby
56 - tblanston
57 - ChrisN
58 - Diomedes
59 - amateriat
60 - mwooten
61 - B. Czar
62 - c.poulton
63 - DMG
64 - n8b
65 - Fedzilla_Bob
66 - jl-lb.ms
67 - CVBLZ4
68 - rover
69 - froyd
70 - back alley
71 - william3954
72 - Topdog1
73 - hth
74 - Ikgroup

doitashimash1te
12-13-2006, 10:45
Numbers 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, ..., 100: please stand up...

MelanieC
12-13-2006, 12:25
Hey, why not?

doitashimash1te
12-13-2006, 12:59
Hey Melanie, how nice to see you here! Welcome aboard. Thanks a lot for participating.

raid
12-13-2006, 13:40
I like to participate too. On that day, I may be either in Poland or Germany.

Raid

Athena
12-13-2006, 14:47
I would like to sign up too.

dspeltz
12-13-2006, 14:53
I am in (dspeltz). Shooting from the Big Island of Hawaii.

DougK
12-13-2006, 20:54
Count me in if you still have room :)

doitashimash1te
12-14-2006, 09:59
Wow, we are at EIGHTY subscribers already! Welcome raid, patashnik, Athena, dspeltz and DougK.

@dspeltz: nice location!

RML
12-16-2006, 10:42
20 more to make it 100!

blakley
12-16-2006, 10:59
Count me in too.

mw_uio
12-16-2006, 11:48
Yes !

For this day I think the film choice may be some Fuji Velvia 100F or some Kodak E100VS. Oh yeah.....slide film for this day , all the way baby!

Mark
Quito, Ecuador

(sorry no rangefinder yet!)

RML
12-28-2006, 07:10
It's nary 3 months before the Spring equinox!

Anyone else interested in joining?

mtbbrian
12-28-2006, 07:30
It's nary 3 months before the Spring equinox!

Anyone else interested in joining?

I am!
So the date is in March 07 then? 23 and 24?
Brian

enochRoot
12-28-2006, 08:11
i'm in too

picturetaker
12-28-2006, 08:56
I want in - I might be already in but just in case.

doitashimash1te
12-28-2006, 12:22
Update Thursday, Dec. 28, 2006

1 - doitashimash1te
2 - Jon Claremont
3 - RML
4 - kunger
5 - jonasv
6 - jorisbens
7 - gabrielma
8 - popstar
9 - Trius
10 - kingster
11 - Marc-A.
12 - Goodyear
13 - iml
14 - jody
15 - [email protected]
16 - FrankS
17 - DavidH
18 - Gid
19 - gregg
20 - Ash
21 - rogue_designer
22 - pesphoto
23 - nzeeman
24 - mascarenhas
25 - KM-25
26 - sheepdog
27 - GeneW
28 - Davor
29 - adep
30 - formal
31 - existrandom
32 - dostacos
33 - ManGo
34 - kaiyen
35 - telenous
36 - MartinP
37 - rbiemer
38 - Honus
39 - ballfresno
40 - Don Parsons
41 - icebear
42 - kbg32
43 - marcust101
44 - lubitel
45 - Superbus_
46 - gb hill
47 - nico
48 - manfromh
49 - Michael W
50 - steamer
51 - Archie
52 - CVBLZ4
53 - Vagabond
54 - kuvvy
55 - Nigel Meaby
56 - tblanston
57 - ChrisN
58 - Diomedes
59 - amateriat
60 - mwooten
61 - B. Czar
62 - c.poulton
63 - DMG
64 - n8b
65 - Fedzilla_Bob
66 - jl-lb.ms
67 - CVBLZ4
68 - rover
69 - froyd
70 - back alley
71 - william3954
72 - Topdog1
73 - hth
74 - Ikgroup
75 - MelanieC
76 - raid
77 - patashnik
78 - Athena
79 - dspeltz
80 - DougK
81 - blakley
82 - mw_uio
83 - mtbbrian
84 - enochRoot
85 - picturetaker

akptc
12-28-2006, 12:54
Hey, I just saw this thread, count me in please.

lynn
12-28-2006, 13:16
Yes. Me too. Please.

Jocko
12-28-2006, 13:24
Sounds good. I'm in too! :)

RML
12-28-2006, 23:23
88 on the list. Who's gonna be nr 100? :p

doitashimash1te
12-30-2006, 12:52
Welcome akptc, lynn and Jocko, and thanks for joining us.
Now we're not far away from our number 100 are we.

Bike Tourist
12-30-2006, 13:11
Pencil me in, now that I have a rangefinder once more. I await further instructions, sir!

climbing_vine
12-30-2006, 13:14
Count me in if I'm not too late.

doitashimash1te
12-30-2006, 13:23
Welcome Bike Tourist and climbing_vine!

@Bike Tourist: some great photo work I see on your site.
@climbing_vine: never too late to join.

RML
12-31-2006, 02:36
90!

Can we make it 100 before the new year?!

ebolton
12-31-2006, 02:46
I'll sign on.

Ed Bolton
Newton, NH

RML
12-31-2006, 23:51
Welcome, Ed.

We've reached 91 signees.

Who's next?! :p

doitashimash1te
01-08-2007, 02:41
Update Monday, Jan. 8, 2007

1 - doitashimash1te
2 - Jon Claremont
3 - RML
4 - kunger
5 - jonasv
6 - jorisbens
7 - gabrielma
8 - popstar
9 - Trius
10 - kingster
11 - Marc-A.
12 - Goodyear
13 - iml
14 - jody
15 - [email protected]
16 - FrankS
17 - DavidH
18 - Gid
19 - gregg
20 - Ash
21 - rogue_designer
22 - pesphoto
23 - nzeeman
24 - mascarenhas
25 - KM-25
26 - sheepdog
27 - GeneW
28 - Davor
29 - adep
30 - formal
31 - existrandom
32 - dostacos
33 - ManGo
34 - kaiyen
35 - telenous
36 - MartinP
37 - rbiemer
38 - Honus
39 - ballfresno
40 - Don Parsons
41 - icebear
42 - kbg32
43 - marcust101
44 - lubitel
45 - Superbus_
46 - gb hill
47 - nico
48 - manfromh
49 - Michael W
50 - steamer
51 - Archie
52 - CVBLZ4
53 - Vagabond
54 - kuvvy
55 - Nigel Meaby
56 - tblanston
57 - ChrisN
58 - Diomedes
59 - amateriat
60 - mwooten
61 - B. Czar
62 - c.poulton
63 - DMG
64 - n8b
65 - Fedzilla_Bob
66 - jl-lb.ms
67 - CVBLZ4
68 - rover
69 - froyd
70 - back alley
71 - william3954
72 - Topdog1
73 - hth
74 - Ikgroup
75 - MelanieC
76 - raid
77 - patashnik
78 - Athena
79 - dspeltz
80 - DougK
81 - blakley
82 - mw_uio
83 - mtbbrian
84 - enochRoot
85 - picturetaker
86 - akptc
87 - lynn
88 - Jocko
89 - Bike Tourist
90 - climbing_vine
91 - ebolton
92 - ?

ICU
01-08-2007, 06:26
Me, too. Count me as # 92.

doitashimash1te
01-08-2007, 13:21
Welcome ICU & thanks for joining us.
Good to have someone from the Land of the Cheeseheads--Wisconsin!

doitashimash1te
01-19-2007, 23:42
Bumping the thread.

sf
01-19-2007, 23:47
I'll join the effort.

RML
01-20-2007, 02:07
Welcome shutterflowr. You're no.93.

Who makes it 100?

doitashimash1te
02-04-2007, 00:03
(Bumping the thread)

muz
02-04-2007, 01:03
Count me in.

traveller
02-04-2007, 02:02
Why not, good opportunity to burn some film :)

If webspace or a gallery is needed, this month I'm setting up my new HP and will have some GB (storage and traffic) in reserve

Davor
02-04-2007, 05:35
So how long til equinox? I can't wait! :-)

doitashimash1te
02-04-2007, 08:17
Thank you, muz, traveller and Davor, and welcome aboard!

@ traveller: thanks for the offer reg. webspace, we might need that later on.

Seven weeks to go!

RML
02-04-2007, 22:08
Woohoo! 7 weeks only!

I better note it down in my agenda!

Davor
02-05-2007, 13:44
Seven weeks you say? What day of the week will it be? I'm hoping it's during the weekend.

goo0h
02-05-2007, 14:31
In the US it's on a Wednesday, which tends to be a pretty hectic day for me, but what the hell. Maybe I can fire off a few that day.

RML
02-06-2007, 03:56
A wednesday indeed.

tominabox1
02-06-2007, 18:03
Why not, put me in

steamer
02-06-2007, 21:59
Wow!! I almost forgot it's a holiday in Japan, I don't have to weasel out of work to shoot.

RML
02-12-2007, 11:03
People, I've checked out the date(s) for the Spring equinox (Spring in the Northern Hemisphere, that is).

See here: http://www.archaeoastronomy.com/2007.shtml , with time zones.

doitashimash1te
02-12-2007, 11:30
Only 5.5 weeks to go! I will post an updated participants list.

doitashimash1te
02-12-2007, 11:31
Update Monday, Feb. 12, 2007

1 - doitashimash1te
2 - Jon Claremont
3 - RML
4 - kunger
5 - jonasv
6 - jorisbens
7 - gabrielma
8 - popstar
9 - Trius
10 - kingster
11 - Marc-A.