PDA

View Full Version : ebay 'win'

back alley
01-02-2004, 14:11
just won an auction for a minolta hi-matic 9.

actually i have been looking for a camera for a friend who wants to get a bit more involved in shooting.

i already have 2 minolta 7s cameras, so i may keep this one and give him one of the 7s cameras. this would just keep it simpler when i use both at the same time with different films.

oh what fun...

joe

taffer
01-03-2004, 02:51
Congrats Joe ! :)

It's always nice not to be outbid in the last 10 seconds by that auction snipers !

Keep us informed about your shots with hi-matics, Rokkor glass... hmmm...

Oscar

rover
01-03-2004, 04:42
The Himatic 9 is a nice camera. I have one in very good condition. The focusing patch is a little dim, but usable. It is not a compact camera, but I think the 7s is about the same size. I just won a Yashica Electro 35 GSN. I sent the seller and email and of course he claims it to be in perfect working order, one that he has used on and off for the past couple years. So I bid low and won it for $13.00. Not much of a loss if it has issues.

back alley
01-03-2004, 11:16
13 bucks, thats a great price.
i only bid on 'in canada' items for the ease of no border shopping, but it also limits what there is to bid on.

have you guys noticed an increase in prices on these types of cameras lately. what used to go or about $20 is now selling for upwards of 30 or more.

joe

rover
01-03-2004, 16:11
I really haven't been paying attention to the RF listing that much. I just was looking the other day, and saw this camera with a one sentence discription that sounded good, so I sent the seller an email with detailed questions that he answered positively, so I took the jump. If the camera is what he says he could have done much better by prividing a better description. When I was a kid the first 35mm camera that I ever used was an Electro 35. My uncle still has it in a closet he says, but I can't get him to search it out for me.

taffer
01-03-2004, 16:32
I know what you mean Joe, I've been watching for a while mainly Canonet auctions (just for curiosity, don't need another one) and their price has increased substantially.

The same happens with Olympus RCs, SPs, Konica C35s and so on. Not sure if it has something to do with the Xmas shopping bug or what, but anyway when something goes up some other things lose interest, so other kind of cameras may go almost unnoticed.

Rover, keep us informed on how the GSN story ends finally. Maybe you already visited this page, but you can find some useful information on this link.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattdenton/photo/cameras/yashica_gsn.html

Best!

rover
01-03-2004, 16:40
Will do Taffer and thanks. I would have looked for that site when the camera came, and the Yashica Guy's site, just to brush up on the little thing.

I often think that the ebay auctions for these cameras are driven by Steve Gandy's web site. All of the cameras that he profiles command higher bids than ones he does not. Now, that said, he has profiled a slice of the "higher end" of compact rangefinders. And for these cameras he does provide the most and perhaps best information available. If you are confident in what you are buying, you are willing to pay a little more.

jdos2
01-03-2004, 22:19
Prominent Nokton.

oftheherd
01-06-2004, 08:15
Originally posted by taffer
I know what you mean Joe, I've been watching for a while mainly Canonet auctions (just for curiosity, don't need another one) and their price has increased substantially.

The same happens with Olympus RCs, SPs, Konica C35s and so on. Not sure if it has something to do with the Xmas shopping bug or what, but anyway when something goes up some other things lose interest, so other kind of cameras may go almost unnoticed.

Rover, keep us informed on how the GSN story ends finally. Maybe you already visited this page, but you can find some useful information on this link.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattdenton/photo/cameras/yashica_gsn.html

Best!

I am convinced that Solares-Larrave raised the price on Canonets with his popular thread on them in Popular Photography and Imaging (PP&I). Having the magazine point out his thread didn't hurt the trend of higher prices either.

I once purchased a perfectly working Yashica FX103 program, on ebay for about $10.00. I was sufficiently impressed with it that I bought two more as spares. Hey, a camera that will take my Contax 50mm f/1.4 at that price is good! Between the 2d and 3d camera, I mentioned several times on PP&I that it was a very good camera in its own right, as well as an acceptable backup for Contax lenses. I paid more for the 3d camera, and the price continued to rise. :bang:

I was scared. Then I checked the tide tables and the moon phases and felt better. No doubt saying good things about any camera on a popular forum will raise the prices on ebay. I have seen it on other cameras too. Still, I think the moon phases and changing tides play an important role also. :D

taffer
01-06-2004, 11:42
Hehehe, I've been wathing the auction site regularly lately just to check that drop in January and February prices that some of us were expecting...

Must admit that, at least for that above mentioned items (Canonets, RCs and SPs) it's NOT the case. But isn't also the case with Agfa Isolettes, Voigtlander Perkeos and some others classic folders, and I'm sure the same happens with classic SLRs and TLRs... Not to mention the "legendary" Pentax K1000...

So maybe we shouldn't write so many possitive reviews of our purchases and tell everybody to go digital ??? :D

Maybe, as the other day a Oly 35 SP went for $180 !

Anyway, let's take it easy, you can always search on ebay for "canonette", "olimpus" or "rollie" and cross your fingers ;)

And if everything else fails, pay a visit to the second hand shop, if online prices continue raising, you'll get better deals there.

Oscar

pvdhaar
01-06-2004, 22:53
Same happened with Yashica TLRs (the 124 'Mats) about three years ago. They were touted as the next best thing to you know what on the Medium Format Digest, and subsequently prices on ebay went through the roof. It appears that things have calmed down a bit with the breakthrough of digital.

I'm sure this will also be the case for rangefinders three years from now.

Rich Silfver
01-09-2004, 18:25
Just won an auction for a very nice looking Oympus 35ED for 24 dollars !! I hope I will be as excited when I see it in person :-)

(The Olympus 35ED came out in 1972 and is a coupled rangefinder with built in cds meter. The lens is a 38/2.8 lens with four elements in three groups (D.Zuiko)).

back alley
01-09-2004, 18:50
congrats!
this can get kinda addictive eh?!

joe

Rich Silfver
01-09-2004, 21:09
Yes it can!! :-)

I'm actually looking for some sort of display cabinet. Hopefully I will have a full range of all Olympus 35 (60-70's) cameras this year and it would be nice to be able to have them somewhere nice.

rover
01-10-2004, 02:16
I read a bunch of posts on Ebay last night, all saying about the same thing. "Camera in excellent condition, Selling because I have too many and just can't use this one."

That will be us some day.

taffer
01-10-2004, 02:35
Kind of having 100+ TV channels and spend all day recording with your VCR. A lot of recorded movies and programs and no time to watch them !

It's really easy to be caught by eBay, one must be careful !

rover
01-13-2004, 11:55
The $13 Yashica GSN arrived today. I just checked it over pretty good and everything looks like it is working well. I think I will put a roll of film into it and go for a little walk. It came with a case, in distressed condition like all of them are now 25+ years later, and the instruction book. I guess I will read that later. Fingers crossed, so far it looks like money well spent.

taffer
01-13-2004, 12:03
Congrats Rover, you got a really good deal then ! Let us know how it goes finally !

oftheherd
01-13-2004, 12:32
Originally posted by rover

I read a bunch of posts on Ebay last night, all saying about the same thing. "Camera in excellent condition, Selling because I have too many and just can't use this one."

That will be us some day.

Sadly, it already is for me.:confused: But I just don't know what I would be willing to give up. Maybe one of the 9x12's? Maybe? Naaaghh! At least not until I have had a chance to put it through it paces. Oh! What to do, what to do!!??:D

SolaresLarrave
01-13-2004, 19:32
Time to bite my nails... I'm just waiting for an auction to finish, but not without putting in my good night bid! ;)

Rich Silfver
01-16-2004, 22:21
My Olympus 35ED arrived this week (see photo further up in this thread).

Happy to say that it was a succesful purchase - the camera looks cosmetically great, shutter speeds seems accurate throughout the range, meter and timer accurate (well meter 1 stop off but easy enough to ISO-correct for). The rangefinder is also VERY bright and easy to see. Nice.

Cute camera. Follows the other Olympus 35 compact cameras solid build tradition. Smaller differences such as the battery check and the light on the front of the camera.

Actually came with a little mini-flash and a couple of [dead] batteries - as well as original cases for both camera and flash.

Well spent 24 dollars I say! Fun, fun, fun.

SolaresLarrave
01-16-2004, 22:56
24 bucks for an Olympus of that kind? You must be exceedingly lucky... or good at sniping! ;)

Just kidding.

My bid on a Minolta lens was taken over by someone in China. It ended at 0:23 last Thursday and I went to bed a bit before midnight, counting my chicks only to find broken eggshells when I woke up. I should have stayed until the end... :bang:

Hey, I like that head-banging li'l icon... :)

Rich Silfver
01-16-2004, 23:04
I kinda don' understand the 'sniping'. I simply put in the highest amount I would ever consider paying for the camera and leave it at that. If someone outbids me they obviously paid more for the camera than I was willing to.

SolaresLarrave
01-16-2004, 23:18
Eons ago, a friend taught me two eBay terms: shilling (when you find a way to place bids on your own merchandise so as to rise the sale price), and sniping, which is when someone places a higher bid seconds before the auction ends. In my pre-rangefinder days, when I was watching an auction for a 50/1.8 Nikon lens I was sure to win, I saw it fly off my hands... to the hands of an auction sniper! Boy, was I upset! :mad: Not really, I was rather p**ssed, big time. Later I learn there's even software to do this.

And here we are, just clicking on a keyboard... :(

Doug
01-17-2004, 02:03
I'm swearing off eBay while I try to pay for my new computer! And just today I paid the camera repair shop $140 to CLA the most recent eBay purchase of about the same $140 price... a Heiland Pentax H3 dating to about 1960.

There are some eBay buyers who get emotionally involved in making the bidding an ego game. I agree it's much more rational to decide your maximum price, use the proxy bid feature to bid it, and sit back. But I have sniped a few in an attempt to circumvent the egotists who might be inclined to bid yet again following mine. Often I've found that someone else has already valued it higher than I, and that's fine. :-)

taffer
01-17-2004, 02:53
Well Doug, I invested around $80 in a CLA for a $22 Canonet :p

But of course I prefer spending that money and still be able to get a working camera than leaving it as a parts donor and look for another one (that could need another CLA too!)

Don't feel bad Francisco ! My first eBay experience was with a Pentax K1000 for around $25, and someone sniped me for $25.10 or so. I didn't bid again for whole months... until I discovered RFs :p

Congrats also on that 35ED Richard ! $24 (!) I wonder why I never find that bargains! The truth is almost worldwide available items usually go higher than its US Only brothers :( And that's true with credit card paypal vs. classic money order too.

rover
01-17-2004, 04:03
I just did something very bad, so no more ebay for me, at least for a while.

I am watching a Fuji GSW690 II though.

SolaresLarrave
01-17-2004, 05:47
Let us guess, Rover... is it a nice, brand new TLR?

I learned to not trust items when they're surprisingly "cool." Once I placed a bid on a camera that's always been an eBay hottie: a Konica Auto S2. I was the only bidder and it was an easy win, which, of course, got me thinking... Did I see something nobody else saw, or, worse yet, did I miss something everybody else saw?

It turned out to be the latter. The seller, a very nice antique dealer, knew diddly squat about cameras, and had showered lavish praise on a non-working camera: dead meter, film lever stuck, useless RF... for which I paid $37. No return possible, as the ad had clearly stated it was an AS IS sale. I kept it in the garage for a long time until November last year, when I sold it for pieces at a slight loss. I cannot forget that sale because I tossed out the window every single eBay purchasing law: check the seller's background, ask questions regarding the stuff and, most important, NEVER buy if the ad says AS IS.

Oh, well, some people learn, and others learn from their mistakes... :)

So, Rover, how bad can you be? ;) Tell us, we're listening... :p

rover
01-17-2004, 05:51
Oh Francisco, it is 6x6 format, but not a TLR. And I just couldn't buy on Ebay, too big of a purchase, so I went to KEH and am banking on their reputation. The good news is that I am spending cash. I will post a picture when it arrives this week.

Rich Silfver
01-17-2004, 07:05
Hasselblad?!? :-)

rover
01-17-2004, 07:09
Lets put it this way Richard, thank you for your replies to my message here, and the post I made on Photo.net. I think I got everything that I need to get started, other than a flash set-up. I will have to figure that out later.

SolaresLarrave
01-17-2004, 18:32
Suspense is killing me, rover... and my nails almost disappeared already! :eek:

back alley
01-20-2004, 21:39
well, my minolta himatic 9 showed up in the mail today:D
but my postie left it sitting outside in front of the door:eek:
the temp was about -7c when i arrived home from work.:mad:

so, i unpack the thing and nothing works-had to wait for it to warm up a bit.
popped in a fresh battery and did the meter check thing and thankfully it works.
took a few tries for the aperture to open and close. shutter speeds seem to be ok too.
the film advance lever is bent downwards a bit and while the back opens it does not 'pop' open, takes 2 hands. need to put a little 'english' on it to close.

maybe this e bay obsession is beginning to wane some.

i might try the local camera stores more often to seek out used equipment.

hopefully it actually will take pictures.

joe:bang:

Doug
01-20-2004, 23:50
I hope it works ok. Maybe a little cleaning will encourage it to cooperate! I know what you mean about waning eBay; I'm taking a break from shopping to catch up with doing CLA work on what I've already bought, and to actually get familiar with using them. Which, given outdoors discomforts, is going slowly. The camera repairman just brought over the newly CLA'd Heiland Pentax H3, and I have a couple newer lenses that need more exercise too.

taffer
01-21-2004, 01:58
Don't worry Joe. We've all been caught by eBay, and more than once in my case. The $22 G-III QL17 took near $80 in CLA, add shipping to that and you'll arrive to the conclusion I could have got a CLAd one from a store for less.

And the broken Iskra is still lost at some point between Barcelona and Kiev, on its way to the seller to get a good one or a refund.

Doug gave me the idea of saving some money for servicing recently acquired cameras and also older ones that have been sitting too much since my ebay adventures (my Rollei Va), instead of obsessing too much on getting new ones.

Also, shipping times here since some months ago take way longer than they used to, and I suspect the local post office is "holding" some packets, as the last time I received 3 packets at once, 2 were from Ukraine but from different cities, and the other one was from the US. That somehow 'ruins' the initial happyness of your last ebay victory.

Maybe it's time to turn our eyes to more 'common' camera places, such as second hand stores, camera shows and even pawn shops. Having the opportunity of trying what you're going to buy is also a very important issue, no matter what pictures show.

OTH, there are completely honest sellers out there on eBay, and if you talk to them you can find they may deal with you directly, to the point of sending you the camera for free to try it and then pay later if you're satisfied !

And remember that we all use to see things worse at the first moment. It's then time to take a break for a while and think about something completely different. Then when you're 'fresh' again you'll see things from another perspective.

Believe me, it works ;)

Oscar

rover
01-21-2004, 03:37
Alas my $13 Yashica Electro GSN has a film eating problem. I need to give it a good looking over today, but it seems the rewind button on the bottom does not stay engaged, causing the sprocket to lock and the film to be ripped apart on rewind. I think if I just keep the button depressed while rewinding I will be fine. Other than that the camera works well. Unfortunately I found this out after taking a roll intended for our marketplace assignment. Oh ebay, ebay, why have you drawn us in?

oftheherd
01-21-2004, 05:57
Alas my $13 Yashica Electro GSN has a film eating problem. I need to give it a good looking over today, but it seems the rewind button on the bottom does not stay engaged, causing the sprocket to lock and the film to be ripped apart on rewind. I think if I just keep the button depressed while rewinding I will be fine. Other than that the camera works well. Unfortunately I found this out after taking a roll intended for our marketplace assignment. Oh ebay, ebay, why have you drawn us in?

Bummer on the GSN. It may be something easy to fix if you look under the bottom plate. And LOL on your ode to ebay. I too have been bitten. I have finally decided that when my latest purchases come in, I am going to take a break and try to start using some of the stuff. Even more bold, I am going to sell some of the things that looked to good to pass up, but I know I am just not going to use.

rover
01-21-2004, 06:19
I just gave it a good going over. Here is what I decided is happening.

When the film is at its end, the winding lever gets stopped part way through a wind.
I pushed the rewind button on the bottom, then advanced the lever the rest of the way to release it so it doesn't get caught up.
When doing this the rewind button partially is released, engaging the one way lock on the sprocket inside, so that it will not allow the film to be rewound.
So, I have what seems to be a very livable problem, I just need to make sure the rewind button remains depressed.

When I took the camera out the other day I was walking around the UConn Campus for 45 minutes. That is as long as I could take the 2 degree temperature. When I got back to the car I was freezing cold, it couldn't warm up fast enough, and while I sat there shivering I "rewound" the film and found the problem. I was too cold at the time to pay attention to what I was doing. Now I know.

wierdcollector
01-21-2004, 06:22
I still throw a few half hearted bids in most every day, win a few (mostly old folders and lenses lately) and delete the others, but lately I've decided to haunt the local pawn shops again. Yesterday I picked up a Yashica FR1 with 50mm and 28mm, a Ricoh KR-10 with 50mm, a Tokina SZX 80-200 for my Minolta, a Vivitar 70-210 for the Ricoh and today I'm going back for the Pentax MX I made a deal for yesterday. The salesman even wants to sell me his Minolta X700 and lenses, data back and winder, but being a renowned cheapskate, I believe I'll pass on that one. Seems like mostly SLR equipment in our local pawn shops, haven't seen a rangefinder in a great while, but still on the prowl. Luckily there are two new pawn shops opening this month.

oftheherd
01-21-2004, 06:49
I just gave it a good going over. Here is what I decided is happening.

When the film is at its end, the winding lever gets stopped part way through a wind.
I pushed the rewind button on the bottom, then advanced the lever the rest of the way to release it so it doesn't get caught up.
When doing this the rewind button partially is released, engaging the one way lock on the sprocket inside, so that it will not allow the film to be rewound.
So, I have what seems to be a very livable problem, I just need to make sure the rewind button remains depressed.

When I took the camera out the other day I was walking around the UConn Campus for 45 minutes. That is as long as I could take the 2 degree temperature. When I got back to the car I was freezing cold, it couldn't warm up fast enough, and while I sat there shivering I "rewound" the film and found the problem. I was too cold at the time to pay attention to what I was doing. Now I know.

I thought all film cameras worked that way. All my 35mm SLR's work that way, which includes a Yashica TL Super and TL Electro X, Fujica ST901 and 801, and a Pentax SV. I have found that by holding in the release button until I have completed the wind with the advance lever then allows me to rewind without problem. I am trying to teach my daughter that trick on the 801.

rover
01-21-2004, 08:27
It is just so natural to me that I don't know what is normal. I would say though that I do this most of the time to finish that last wind,and I have never had this problem. My guess that if operating properly the sprocket should lock when the back door is open, or when the shutter is fired to initially when reloading the film.

Doug
01-21-2004, 20:57
For some reason I always assume the rewind button will not stay in by itself, so I'm surprised when it does. :-) I'd guess some cameras don't have a button-latching feature and some do.

Borghesia
01-24-2004, 11:10
Ebay prices are rising because the dollar rate is low towards the euro.

Rich Silfver
01-25-2004, 00:30
Hm, I was wondering why the normal price-drop hasn't quite happened this year...

taffer
01-25-2004, 03:31
'lost' what looked like a nice vivitar 35es yesterday due to my 'manual sniping' entering too soon (50 secs before the end)... :bang:

the vivitar 35es is one of a four members family, composed by:

- the good one: konica auto s3
- the bad one: vivitar 35 es
- the ugly one: revue 400 se
- the overpriced one: minolta hi-matic 7sII

(Note: Adjectives above are applied in a random-basis policy, there's no intention of placing one model or brand above the other :p)

the three first cameras, apart from some small differences in materials and assembly are renamed versions of the hi-matic 7sII, sharing almost identical features and lenses, but while 7sII go for more than $100, one can still expect some good deals on the vivitar and the revue, as the konica is going higher too :(

OTH, maybe THAT difference in materials and assembly is the reason of price differences, who knows... :confused:

Oh ! and look what I found surfing the web yesterday:

Camera Price List (http://www.photographica-world.de/a.htm)

To help you know if that No-Name Kiev you found is worth that $150 you're asked for or not :D

Best !

Oscar

PS: Go to Kiev Arsenal and look for the no-name Kiev to have the answer ;)

back alley
01-25-2004, 09:31
i want a 7sii...

back alley
01-25-2004, 09:32
...and a oly sp!

i want bill's sp.
should i send you my address bill?

joe

taffer
02-04-2004, 01:43
My first Oly !!! :D

Tired of seeing how XAs w/flash are going for more than $100 lately I 'refocused' my interests.

$56, seems nice, and I can live with a crack in the finder glass... I guess...

but the pic doesn't want to upload...

taffer
02-04-2004, 01:47
now maybe ?

Rich Silfver
02-04-2004, 01:58
I was looking at it when it was going on eBay as I don't have the SPn (which is functionally and optically the same as the SP - but with in essense 'more black details').

Please update us on how the camera behaves once you get it :-)

Congrats and good luck!

(Oh, and there's a couple of places on the internet that still 'service' these cameras using parts-bodies - that probably could put a new viewfinder in for you if you'd want to do that down the road..) :-)

Brian Sweeney
02-04-2004, 04:13
I bought one an Oly SP cheap at a "junk store", cleaned it up, etc. Used it for a few rolls, and was very impressed by the sharpness before selling it on Ebay. It went toward the S3.

Olympus tended to use more elements in their cameras than the competition. The Oly SP was a 7 element design rather than the 6 element found in the Canonet's and Hi-Matics. The F2.8 in the ECR that I have is a five element instead of the typical 4 element in other F2.8 cameras.

My worst EBay buy: an Argus/Cosina STL1000 listed as "I know nothing about cameras, but I cannot see any reason why this one will not work". It had been in a fire and the INSIDE was melted. I salvaged the lens and got 1/2 of my money back.

My Best Buy: The S3 with lens was listed and priced as an S2 on a BIN; and it was listed just in time for Friday Morning after EBay's Backup. And this was by a New York Camera Store. It had just been CLA'd. You will see more pictures from it here.

taffer
02-04-2004, 10:26
Thanks Richard, be sure I'll let you know about that beast ! (seems a big one).

I've checked the web for some service places, interesting but just now I already spent that money in the camera :p, if later the crack in the finder is too annoying, I may try to find some spares thorugh the Favorite Classics forum. Thanks for the information anyway ;-)

Do you already own a RD ? With that 40mm f1.7 looks VERY promising...

Brian, lucky you on that S3 ! :) I've been looking for a member of this family (S3, 7sII, Vivitar35ES, Revue400) for some time before bidding on the SP !

Oscar

rover
02-04-2004, 15:34
Hi Oscar, I have been seeing that the Konica S3s have been going down a little, <$90 US. There was a Minolta 7sII that actually sold for under $100 US a week or so again. I was watching it, and was tempted, but have been bottom feeding lately, keeping my stuff under $30. I bought my S3 for $75 on a buy-it-now deal as soon as it popped up from the UK. I was just lucky.

I think Brian is talking about his Nikon S3. Some day.... Actually I wish Nikon would produce a new user rangefinder, the S3 2000 is not made to be used.

Rich Silfver
02-04-2004, 22:01
Taffer,

as a user I've stayed away from the RD's predominantly due to their bad reputation when it comes to shutter problems and I really like my SP and LC's fine enough.

As a collector I will eventually turn my attention towards a nice looking RD and will probably, unfortunately, budget for about 100-120 dollars for that purchase. Ouch.

The SP is not that large actually..compared to other beasts like the 35LC or the Yashica Lynx 14 for instance. I actually kinda like a bit larger ones... :-)

taffer
02-05-2004, 01:28
I think Brian is talking about his Nikon S3. Some day.... Actually I wish Nikon would produce a new user rangefinder, the S3 2000 is not made to be used.

:p

Probably not a lot more than $3000 of difference :rolleyes:

taffer
02-05-2004, 01:32
Originally posted by rsilfverberg
The SP is not that large actually..compared to other beasts like the 35LC or the Yashica Lynx 14 for instance. I actually kinda like a bit larger ones... :-)

That glass in the Lynx 14 is HUGE :eek: too bad it's not a fixed lens MF rangefinder !

rover
02-07-2004, 13:12
Here is a tempting little setup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2985739674&category=15234