PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Challenge October: The Return

Stephanie Brim
09-27-2006, 21:16
Due to recent changes in my own plans, I can't do this all month either. So...I've changed the challenge into something more managable...yet it makes it even more of a challenge.

One camera, one lens, through the 20th of this month. I actually did start yesterday. There are a few reasons for this change. I'm going to Colorado before the end of the month and I know that most people are going to want to see shots of the great fall landscape and the mountains...which I'm going to really need a 35mm lens for. The other reasoning is that World Toy Camera Day is the 21st and I'll be participating in that, including the print exchange (crossing fingers) at APUG. The main reason is that lots of people have mentioned that the whole month is just too crazy...so I figure that 20 days is plenty.

NOW who's up for it?

wlewisiii
09-27-2006, 22:33
Just read the blog - sounds like interesting fun. Of course, I'm bloody well near 50mm only as it is, so maybe I need to just mount the 28/3.5 on my CL & leave it there for the time I'll have available in October. Plus-X @ EI400 & dunked in Diafine will be the mix, I think. Of course it helps that I just spooled out 10 rolls of Plux-X... ;)

Of course, I could just be an utter heretic and grab the T90, my 50/1.4 S.S.C., my Speedlite 300TL & some Fuji Supermarket (er, Superia) ... :eek: :)

William

sf
09-27-2006, 22:58
I think it would also be cool (perhaps in a future month) to do a challenge where everyone has to select their least favorite lens, or most rarely used lens, and make use of it for a month straight.

In the case of your suggestion, I am ready to play. I'll throw my 45mm on the RF645 and spend a month in the wide zone.

wlewisiii
09-27-2006, 23:03
That's an interesting challenge. The problem is, for me, that I've already sold off all the lenses I don't like ... :bang: :bang: :bang:

William

Stephanie Brim
09-27-2006, 23:41
I don't really have any lenses that I don't like either...the J-12 and J-3 are my focal length choices most of the time. If John's Spotmatic falls into my hands (mwahahaha) I'll also have a 28mm lens.

Stephanie Brim
09-29-2006, 02:13
Blah, no Spotmatic...but that also means no trading my J-12. ;)

So...any takers? Come on...be crazy!

DougK
10-01-2006, 17:19
I'm game :). Seems like a great opportinity to probe the limits of my Natura S.

Andrew Sowerby
10-02-2006, 03:21
Can't do it -- different situations call for different cameras and films. I could restrict myself to one focal length though (32-35mm).

Al Patterson
10-02-2006, 03:48
I'd be lucky to be able to try one camera, one lens, one day. I'll be on a photo charter later in the month. I'll have my usuall three camera kit, just in case. I'll only have the 40mm on the CL, but most of this event requires zooms, so the SLR will be the primary camera on this trip.

I admit this would be a great excercise, but a month is a long time...

Stephanie Brim
10-02-2006, 03:58
50mm lens with my Canon P. HP5 in Diafine. That's my choice, but it's going to leave me looking for more HP5. I planned this before I knew that we were still planning to go to Colorado, too...but now, since we ARE going to try and get there before the month is out, I'll be doing this over my trip there as well.

So I think that I should perhaps change the challenge because I don't think that I'm going to be able to do it either. This should be better.

Kin Lau
10-02-2006, 05:48
How about 1 pic a day for the whole month on that camera + film/iso + lens combo? You can use other cameras & film/iso & lenses, but you must shot at least 1 pic a day with chosen combo.

A roll of 36 should handle that just fine too.

Stephanie Brim
10-02-2006, 05:52
That was the last revision. ;) It's meant to be a challenge and that sounds too easy.

dcsang
10-02-2006, 06:07
Ugh.. one lens is so .. well.. difficult.

Mind you.. when you've got some different cams I guess one lens is ok :)
Maybe one lens on one cam.. one lens on the other cam.. another lens on the other cam .. hmmmm

I can't promise anything but I will try. I don't get to shoot daily but now that "wedding season" is just about over I think I can focus a bit more on my personal stuff :)

Dave

DougK
10-03-2006, 07:03
I'm still up for it. I haven't started shooting yet so I may change my mind about which camera and lens to use, but once I do I'll stick with it.

BillBingham2
10-03-2006, 07:15
Starting 3 days late, the lens I want to use is out for tweaking, so will need to thing which to use.

B2 (;->

Stephanie Brim
10-03-2006, 07:18
I may call it off. Not enough interest this month (probably mostly due to fall color shots coming up) and next month will be much better for a one camera/one lens thing. If more people want to do it by Friday of this week I'll consider letting it go for 20 days after that Friday. If not...I'll postpone.

Gabriel M.A.
10-04-2006, 19:20
I think it would also be cool (perhaps in a future month) to do a challenge where everyone has to select their least favorite lens, or most rarely used lens, and make use of it for a month straight.

Now, you don't expect the wideangle-exclusives to have to use the ungodly long 50mm lens, do you? :D

It may be interesting. I haven't done much film shooting lately, but would like to. 35mm focal length is aluring this season, with color, of course. Or 90mm to do those closeups.

Do you just mean rarely used lens, or rarely-used focal length?

jlw
10-04-2006, 19:50
I'm going to Colorado before the end of the month and I know that most people are going to want to see shots of the great fall landscape and the mountains...

I hope there's still some fall color there for you. I was in Wyoming last weekend and it looked as if the trees were pretty much at their peak then. The locals were saying it's been the best fall they've had in years -- usually by this time, they say, they've either had a windstorm blow the leaves off, or a hard freeze that turns everything brown. This has been a magic year, with warm days, cool nights, and no storms -- perfect for tree color. Hope the luck hasn't run out by the time you get there!

I'm not much of a landscape-photography guy, but I easily could have killed a couple of hours just working my way down State Highway 34 through Chugwater Canyon... if I could have gotten my dad to stop the @#$% car! The attached was taken with a little Minolta Xg digital through the side window, but it'll give you an idea of what I was missing. (There were some spectacular vistas with patches of trees backlighted against gray-rock canyons that would have been better, but all I got was lens flares and backscatter from bugs on the glass!)