PDA

View Full Version : level of contentment

back alley
01-07-2005, 16:42
this may prove to be a fool's errand, but i thought i'd check.

i'm wondering, after a few low key comments made around here lately, and after watching people (myself included) buying & selling equipment at a fevered pace, if we ever reach a place of contentment where we say, "i'm ok with what equipment i have and there is need for little more"?

so i want to ask the question directly, are you satisfied with what you have, equipment wise, or are you feeling the need to keep acquiring more?

hat say you?

bmattock
01-07-2005, 17:16
To steal a phrase from U2 - "I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

But I keep getting closer!

Tomorrow, my wife and I are going to Raleigh to pick up a WWI-era wristwatch I had dropped off to be restored. I'm taking my (arrived today) Kodak Brownie Hawkeye. It takes 620, but I forced some 120 in there, it fits.

Havin' fun!

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

rover
01-07-2005, 17:16
I was content for a little while.

Now, I wanna Contax.

(then an M3 to make Brian happy)

rover
01-07-2005, 17:19
I was thinking about getting a Brownie Hawkeye Bill. I may be making a trip to Rochester this year, and well, what else would you bring? Did you have to do any fiddling to get the 120 to fit? I think there are instructions somewhere on this wonderful WWW that we are surfing on how to use it. I must seek them out.

Brian Sweeney
01-07-2005, 17:37
I just sent several old rolls of 620 film to a college student, along with some 120 to roll onto the thinner 620 cores. She wanted to use it for some class projects. What's Diana got that an old Kodak doesn't... except readily available film...

Anyway, I'm a collector so I can be content with what I have and yet acquire cameras when they scream "buy me". Many of you are collectors as well, you just do not want to admit it in public...

wlewisiii
01-07-2005, 17:48
Mostly content these days. I've a couple of things I'd like to get and a few to get rid of. But even so, I can do most of what I want to right now between the Kiev and the Iskra.

I think I'll be quite content when I get the III back from Henry's Day Spa, perhaps an R2C body for the modern amenities, and about 4 more Zeiss lenses (post war 35/2.8, 50/1.5, 50/3.5, 85/2) for all three bodies.

William

bmattock
01-07-2005, 18:28
Originally posted by rover
I was thinking about getting a Brownie Hawkeye Bill. I may be making a trip to Rochester this year, and well, what else would you bring? Did you have to do any fiddling to get the 120 to fit? I think there are instructions somewhere on this wonderful WWW that we are surfing on how to use it. I must seek them out.

No, it was dead easy! The Brownie had an empty 620 spool in it, and that fits in the take-up space, obviously. I noticed that an empty 120 spool will not fit in the take-up position, not even brute forcing it. However, in the feed position, a 120 spool is snug, but fits and turns just fine. I noted that the numbers for frame spacing 6x6 line up just fine in the red window. I also note that I'll have to put some gaffer tape over that window, since it has no slider (never designed with one) and I'm guessing it will fog the film if I use it outdoors much.

Here's the model Brownie I have (there are so many types, it is good to specify):

Definitive Hawkeye Brownie (http://jsurp.tripod.com/id17.html)

You nailed it, by the way - I want to some Holga/Diana type thing, but I thought why not go with the original?

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Krasnaya_Zvezda
01-07-2005, 18:58
Originally posted by backalley photo
... if we ever reach a place of contentment where we say, "i'm ok with what equipment i have and there is need for little more"?

Yes, there is need for little more; but there is WANT for alot more. I am pretty satisfied with what I have, which is alot of FSU shooters and some others that I really like; if I had more expendable cash, I'd start collecting Leicas. I should say I'm quite satisfied with my stuff as far as shooting goes, but I haven't (and very probably can't) put the collecting part to rest.

GeneW
01-07-2005, 19:06
Rolling Stones
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes you might find
You get what you need
Couldn't resist ... ;)

Gene

Marc Jutras
01-07-2005, 19:31
I see I'm the first one to click the "i am completely satisfied" button. I took a minute thinking about it. Am I really 100% with what I've got? Don't I sometimes wish I had this or that?

Honestly, sometimes I'll think it would be fun to get a Rolleiflex or something like that but then, I quickly realize that my bag contains everything I really need.

My little kit is this: a Bessa R2 with 15/4.5, 35/1.7 and 75/2.5. Hoya K2 filters for the 35 and 75 lenses. A Vivitar 283 (in the bag) and a 285HV at home for projects requiring 2 flashes. A radio slave kit for those projects. Tripods, monopods, reflector holder, etc.

I feel it's more than enough for pretty much any creative idea I might get. I'm not into macro or wildlife so I don't need a SLR with heavy guns. The once in a while portraits can be done with a RF. Too much gear will stay home and collect dust (been there, done that). Conclusion: I'm happy with what I've got.

FrankS
01-07-2005, 19:59
Speaking for myself, personally, I am always completely satisfied - until I see something new that I want. The problem is, I keep seeing something new that I want. I wish it would stop, at least I think I wish it would stop, but it is kind of fun!

Right now all I want is an M2 (or M3 or M4 or M6.) Heck, I'll settle for an M5 or M7.

wierdcollector
01-07-2005, 20:31
Totally, completely satisfied with what I've got. Ok, Ok, I had my fingers crossed behind my back. I lied. But I am continually getting a little closer to being satisfied.

nikon_sam
01-07-2005, 20:51
I should be in the "Completely Satisfied" section....but I've been looking around here and there...and I should be done with what I have already...but you know...someday I would just like to "hold" a Leica and see what that's like....but you all know what that would lead to. See that's what I tell my wife...I would just like to see what it's like to hold and maybe to shoot with one...you know...just to see what all the hype is about...
Other than that I might be completely satisfied...might be...

back alley
01-07-2005, 21:23
i answered 'mostly satisfied'.

i needed to be honest. my nature is to always want more...

the gear i have now, i know will be more than enough to execute any photo ideas i'm likely to have.

at 35 for the widest i have what i need. i don't see very wide so going even to a 28 is usually a waste of money for me.

the longest lens i ever had was a 300 and i did take a favourite photo with it, but it cost a small fortune, weighed a ton and i eventually sold it and it was only one photo.
135 will be more than i need for a long lens. i do like it's perspective and will be doing some projects with it.

i have 3 canon bodies. one more than i really need. i wanted a 7 for the framelines and a minty p just cause i love that camera.
i need to think about keeping a spare or using the user body and 'protecting' the minty one. or selling. i don't know yet.

and i have the bessa r with 35/75 combo. perfect for those days when i'm too weak, tired or lazy to carry anything heavy. or if i need a basic black outfit. :)

ah, life is good. hey wait...maybe i AM content?!!

joe

Doug
01-07-2005, 21:28
I'm almost completely satisfied. I really have more than enough gear to do anything I want. Even enough to fondle! The only item on the want horizon is the coming Zeiss Ikon and its lenses. But that's anticipation speaking, and when the reality materializes, I may choose to pass.

Roman
01-08-2005, 00:24
I'm somewhat satisfied with my Bessa R with 25, 35 and 90mm CV lenses, with my Russian RFs, my Mamiya 645 Super with 35, 70 and 150 lenses, and with my various Pentax SLRs - what I'm still looking for: an affordable 24mm Pentax lens (that's a rare focal lenght in PK-mount), and a 50mm that will focus correctly on my Bessa, and goes down to f/2 - but LTM Summicrons are out of my price range, and Canon or Nikkor LTM 50ies are just so rare in Europe...

Roman (realizing that unless I win the lottery, M-Leicas or the likes will always be out of reach - there's just so much other stuff I'd rather spend my money on...)

RML
01-08-2005, 00:48
Completely satisfied.
I have my Bessa R, my CL and my M2; the CV 25/4, J-8, j-9 and Rokkor 40/2; and now also an Eos 300D. I can't carry all of that at the same time (well, the RF gear I can) and it's really all I need.

There are 3 lenses in the mail from Russia, which might be of some use, but I guess they'll mostly stay at home.

There's more gear lying about (2 Lubitel's, a Holga, an Eos 3000, some FEds and Zorki's, an Oly Mju, and a dozen or so lenses) I never use. There's really no need or want for me to buy more camera stuff.

taffer
01-08-2005, 01:38
Collector ? ME !?!!?!?!?!

Nah...

Now if I could only find and try a GOI-Leningrad for a while... :rolleyes:

That said, I'm completely satisfied, but I simply can't resist getting and testing some new gear from time to time. It's simply too fun ! :D

GeneW
01-08-2005, 02:14
Originally posted by taffer
Collector ? ME !?!!?!?!?!
I think of you more as an 'investor' :D

Gene

taffer
01-08-2005, 03:13
Originally posted by Gene
I think of you more as an 'investor' :D

Gene

:D Let's see if I can add some funds for my retirement :D

<now gotta keep writing the c compiler program... sigh>

denishr
01-08-2005, 04:36
I already have more cameras than I can shoot. Some are gathering dust. (...sigh...)
Still, I'm always on the lookout for smaller stuff - lens caps, hoods, filters, light meters, and other accessories....
And, of course, if anything comes along with a good price... ;)

Denis

Nikon Bob
01-08-2005, 04:58
Mostly satisfied. I have no real needs just wants and will buy if it is cheap enough or weird enough . Like Denis says there is always the smaller stuff that keeps calling too.

Bob

Brian Sweeney
01-08-2005, 05:23
Thinking about it:

I could never think of checking the "Completely Satisfied" column until I own a "Canon P". The L1, although rare and very good, just does not fill that void in my life... A Canon with a 1x finder and metal shutter curtains.

(Joe is now in tears of joy)

newspaperguy
01-08-2005, 06:52
After 50 years of photography
It's not that I need more gear...
it's just that I want more gear.

Rick

rover
01-08-2005, 07:31
Heads up Oscar...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15234&item=3865988858&rd=1

Pherdinand
01-08-2005, 07:49
A month ago i said in a post: I feel i have everything I need, photogear-wise". I swear I was meaning it.

Now, alas, no contax and no medium format gear at all, i had to check the "I am not satisfied" option...

RML
01-08-2005, 07:52
Pherdi, you're excused, of course! Going from "completely satisfied" to "no gear left" because of a thieving rat will make anyone need/ want/ lust after more gear. :)

peter_n
01-08-2005, 08:47
Totally agree with Remy. I would have said exactly the same thing in your situation, Pherdinand.

I have all the lenses I need but I only have one RF body, so I think I can legitimately aspire to a second. I would really like an AE camera and would love an M7, but I wouldn't mind a Canonet either... :)

taffer
01-08-2005, 08:51
Thanks for the link Rover, but I was talking about the GOI one, check your Princelle 2nd, p.57. Now tell me, wouldn't you lust after that one ? :)

denishr
01-08-2005, 09:35
Well, there you are - I'm actually NEVER content.

Just bought some Series VI accessories on eboy - a 39mm-Ser. VI adapter, and a Series VI polarizer... to be used on several cameras, including Leicas :D

Denis

back alley
01-08-2005, 09:55
just checked the poll results...i wanna know who thinks i'm a fool??????;)

rover
01-08-2005, 10:05
I love the GOI one, but I don't think it was a production model. Was it? Even in it's final form the Leningrad is quite a fine looking machine.

24x30
01-08-2005, 11:37
Always when I think that I'm complete now, something new is comming around the corner ... so I will be never satisfied.

Just spend a lot of Money for a new enlarger head ... and now I looking for a TLR (must be crazy)... oh and those Bessas are looking fine ;)

/rudi

Tim
01-08-2005, 14:15
I hit "mostly". I'm really happy with the gear I have now, can't imagine what else I'd want (at least seriously, there are occasional mad urges towards Mamiya 7's or 645's, but I manage to resist them)
But I know that there is always something that will come up that will ignite the lust in my camera loving brain....

tim

taffer
01-08-2005, 14:25
Originally posted by rover
I love the GOI one, but I don't think it was a production model. Was it? Even in it's final form the Leningrad is quite a fine looking machine.

No doesn't look like it was series produced, or even produced in any serious way :) Agree that the Leningrad is nice and in fact would like to try one someday.

Anyway I know this may sound odd but I FEEL that I need to at least try to make something decent enough from the stuff I already own, mainly when I've got that equipment from other photographers, all of them happy that those cameras/lenses were going to get use and not lay on a shelf or being re-eBayed.

By not doing that (using them) I'd feel as if I was deceiving their old owners, that's also why I prefer to let them go (if needed) to another photog.

SolaresLarrave
01-08-2005, 14:48
A while ago, I was the most satisfied camera owner on Earth... until I looked into my SLR assets and didn't like what I saw. Sold stuff here and there, bought some more...

Now, I'm mildly interested in a long lens for my Leicas. If I don't like/use it much, there's always the chance to sell again.

So, mostly satisfied only.

And Joe, you ain't nobody's fool! :)

Honu-Hugger
01-08-2005, 20:35
P. S. Okay, maybe one or two more: does anyone have a 16mm f/3.5 Nikkor for sale/trade? Or an ED 50~300 Nikkor Zoom? A 200mm f/2? Now that I have an Alpa/Nikon adapter I'm beginning to miss many of my old Nikkor lenses...:(

D2

thmk
01-12-2005, 12:04
I am satisfied with the stuff I have... but everytime there is something (the last thing?) I want to buy even if only "needed" for testing. So I just aquired a Yashica YK and at this opportunity I also took a Jupiter 12 for my Kiev from the same seller. That's life and I do not know if there is a cure for that.

CleverName
01-12-2005, 17:51
I'm mostly satisfied. I'd like some wider lenses for my SLR, and maybe a good flash if I ever decide to start using one. All of my rangefinders are fixed lens and I'm fine with that because they are all in the "normal" range, which is what I usually shoot anyway.

I'd be happy with what I had if you guys would just shut up about the Canon P. Yea, it's a nice camera, fine. Ya don't have to keep going on and on about it. Have mercy on the weaker ones of us. :)

Peter
01-12-2005, 21:19
I am completely satisfied with what I have now. I know Leica MP feels better than a R2, but salivating in front of the display window whenever I visit the local photography equipment shop to buy films is not my idea of a meaningful life. Being contented with what you have and enjoy the 'minute part of reality' that your camera captured is my idea of a good life. :)

JohnM
01-12-2005, 22:24
I am fairly content. I have a DSLR which handles the digital side of the aisle. I have just two lenses for it, but I don't need or want any more. (18-55, 28-300.)

I have an R3 and an R2 which is all the camera bodies I can handle. I have a 21/4, 35/1.7, 40/1.4 and 90/3.5. I think it's a good mix, but, even though I really like it, I will probably sell the Ultron 35 soon and turn that money into a 75. It will just be more useful and fill the gap between 40 and 90.

After that, the long-term wish list is for a 28, but I am in no hurry.

I have a small collection of compact rangefinders in various states of repair, but quite frankly, I'm getting tired of tinkering and it takes away from time spent actually taking pictures with cameras that work. I suspect I'll fix the one RD and then give the other two or three away here for parts or reclamation.

chenick
01-13-2005, 02:28
I'm mostly satisfied. I don't really need another camera.
But I'd like an non fixed lens AE RF, maybe a Hexar or an R3A.
I'd like that Yashica 124G in the photo repair shop that keeps haunting me (keep thinking biiig negs & tonal range!!)
But more importantly, I need to take more photos, with whatever camera I have handy...

-Nick

DougK
02-01-2005, 19:33
I voted "not satisfied" because I feel I have too much gear (ok, settle down in the back). I'll be the first one to admit I love buying new toys and playing with them, but I'd really like to settle down and get serious with one film format. I think gear acquisition syndrome has hurt my motivation by paralyzing me with too many decisions to make when I should just be able to grab a camera and go. I shoot mostly landscapes and other subjects that don't move too fast, so I have zero need for gee-whiz-bang auto-everything cameras. Ideally, I'd like to be at one TLR (ok, two, but the Lubitel is so CUTE I couldn't get rid of it), a 6x6 rangefinder for vacations, and a 35mm rangefinder for snapshot occasions (like weddings and such) where it would be inconvenient to take anything bigger.

SolaresLarrave
02-01-2005, 21:06
Just an update... I wish I could re-vote (darn, cant!). I'm a very satisfied snapshooter as I finally laid my paws on a long lens for my Leicas.

See ya! :)

rover
02-02-2005, 01:34
I don't even want to go back and see what I said. Probably, "I am perfectly happy, no need for anything new at this time."

Yeah right.

Anyone wanna buy an R2?

berci
02-03-2005, 07:48
I have always dreamt of a rangefinder and
I have always dreamt of a Hasselblad and then
There is was,
the XPan II

It took me some time to squeeze out the money for it, thogh
(and to get the approoval from the local authority)
But it worth every penny of it

BJ Bignell
02-03-2005, 08:28
Stop deluding yourselves! Very few of us will ever truly be "mostly satisfied"!

OK, that's just my opinion... I just can't get enough!

schaubild
02-03-2005, 08:39
I'm quite sure now that I have the analog cameras and lenses that I will use for a very long time. Can't think of anything necessary :-)

But when we talk about digital.... I'm happily looking forward what technology will bring.

Doug
02-03-2005, 14:49
schaubild, you may be quite satisfied with what you have, as am I (I keep telling myself), with everything you could possibly need to do the kinds of photography you do, and more. But watch out! GAS attacks are often irrational! You'll decide you WANT something you don't really NEED... and it may be difficult to return to a cool sensibility.

Doug
02-03-2005, 17:39
BUT... it can happen that if your resistance to the GAS crumples, and you do acquire that wanted goodie... The subsequent effort to rationalize and justify the acquisition may actually lead to a new and productive branching of your photographic efforts. Hmm... circular justification... or residual effects of previous GAS infection?

yossarian
02-19-2005, 20:09
From "Key Largo": "What DO you want, Rocco? Go ahead, tell 'em--you want MORE". "Yeah...that's it...MORE!"
I have (stupidly) let so much great equipment get away that I no longer try to keep track. My #1 dream SLR would be an OM-3 Ti. "But wait, there's more"...the ingeniousness of the Contax AX is not to be denied. A late Rollei TLR would be nice, as would a Canon P. Oh, and how about the "new" SP Special Edition?
I also like Fuji's little P&S with the 24mm f/1.9 lens (I have the 24-50 version). Why, I even like the "diesel" Leicas (R8/R9).
OK, so it's an affliction; we can all be grateful the cure isn't vioxx.

richard_l
02-19-2005, 21:01
Mostly satisfied. I have enough rangefinder gear, but I might fine-tune my collection by replacing my M6 with an M3 and my late model Summicron 50 with a DR.

Of course, if an FM2n and a few good manual focus Nikkors somehow came into my possession, I wouldn't necessarily feel compelled to get rid of them. ;)

Likewise, I am not totally repulsed by the Epson R-D1. ;)

Doug
02-19-2005, 21:26
Ah, richard, I sense a suppressed case of GAS struggling for expression! ;)

You too yossarian! You guys are in the sink-hole.

Right now I'm wonding why that inner voice thinks I "need" a 28mm Summicron... The urge gains strength every time I see a sample photo by that lens and users exclaiming about how incredibly wonderful it is! Hush, hush!