PDA

View Full Version : How Much Do You Hate Mondays?

Magus
08-28-2006, 03:58
Post deleted by posters request

Tom Harrell
08-28-2006, 05:03
Magus
Since I retired June the first, it is hard to tell Mondays from any other day of the work week. The big clue is that the neighborhood is empty of people. It is quiet and I am alone with my thoughts.

Back to the original question, when I was working I enjoyed some Mondays and disliked others. Probably it depended on what project I was working on. I looked forward to going to work most of the time.

Tom

wlewisiii
08-28-2006, 05:09
Boomtown Rats, anyone?

William

jonasv
08-28-2006, 05:20
My monday...

I got up at 5 AM, showered, ate something, jumped on my bike and rode through serious rain for 30 minutes, after which I arrived soaked at fortress III (the ruins of the WWI/WWII fortresses around Antwerp are only numbered, not named). I went there to make photographs for the student magazine.

Because the fortress is close to the airport, some of the trees around it need to be cut down. You can imagine: the usual group of tree-huggers chaining themselves to trees, roads, ... blocking the bulldozers and shouting at the police. Followed by riot police unchaining them, using pepperspray, and what-not, quite a bit of brute force on both sides. After two or three hours all activists were arrested and taken to the bureau, they won't be charged with anything but they'll be kept 'administratively' for 12 hours. (after which I'm sure they'll return and play the same game tomorrow morning).

And then I'd go home. At least that was the plan. Appearantly the cops were in a bad mood and thought otherwise (hey, it IS monday), plus I think they were not too happy about some of the pictures I took (quite a bit of aggression that morning, from the activists, sure, but the police didn't really go free either...) so they figured they might as well lock me up for 12 hours too. I don't have an official presspass so they just tell me I'm one of those activists (even though they damn well knew I was not), so what can I do? The idiots took two rolls of exposed film (shot three, had the third one already hidden). So I spent about two hours in jail before I can explain my story to the big chief and he releases me... Didn't see my film back though.

So yeah, stuff happens... But what can I do? Complain or even sue them? Who will verify my story... the fifty cops that were present will deny everything I say and back each other up, and nobody will believe a bunch of anarchistic tree-huggers that would confirm my side of the story...

yeah, just another monday as usual...

oftheherd
08-28-2006, 05:32
I'm petty much indefferent to them. One day is pretty much the same as another to me. What it really boils down to is how many Mondays I have in one week. Only one or two I can handle with ease. More is problamatic.

keeds
08-28-2006, 05:37
I quite like Mondays... But then I only work Weds, Thurs, Fri!

Ash
08-28-2006, 05:38
My sleeping patterns are so messed up I went to bed at 3am, and got up at midday, and I couldn't work out whether I was alive, let alone what day it is!

Michael I.
08-28-2006, 05:56
I work 12 hour shifts for 2 days and 2 nights and rest 4 days. The first day is freaking suicidal and it goes downhill from there.

jano
08-28-2006, 06:47
I sometimes have trouble finding stuff to do other than work on the weekends, so I don't mind when monday comes around and I get to do to work :) :p

SolaresLarrave
08-28-2006, 08:46
I hate them very much... they come in between Sundays and Tuesdays (always my favorite day), right when I need to rest from the weekend. :mad:

rover
08-28-2006, 09:13
Very much most weeks, not that much some, cut my wrists much today!!!

Silva Lining
08-28-2006, 09:13
Mondays suck! Unless they are Bank Holiday Monday's like today in the UK!!!

Will
08-28-2006, 09:17
My sleeping patterns are so messed up I went to bed at 3am, and got up at midday, and I couldn't work out whether I was alive, let alone what day it is!

I been through that resently, work till 9am in the morning and sleep till 7pm. It's bad and somehow you need to get yourself back on track.

Have a 20 hours day, then rest for 5 or 6 hours; keep this going and eventually you will get your body clock back to where it should be.

Having a reason to wake up is also important..

sf
08-28-2006, 09:22
I thought the thread was "how much do you hate monkeys" at first glance.:D

pesphoto
08-28-2006, 09:23
i like monkeys

Rich Silfver
08-28-2006, 09:23
I took three months off work. That was two months ago. Guess I will start hating Mondays in 4-5 weeks from now.

peterc
08-28-2006, 09:47
Most days are fine ... except the ones ending in "day" can be annoying sometimes.

Peter

Stephanie Brim
08-28-2006, 09:53
This Monday is one I very, very much hate.

Al Patterson
08-28-2006, 16:06
Mondays aren't that bad, as I usually fly back out to the Midwest on Sunday night. The Mondays where I get a 6:00 flight bite it big time...

narsuitus
08-29-2006, 12:50
I don’t hate Mondays. I actually like Mondays. However, I do hate working on Mondays more so than on other days.

This I discovered when I had a job with a flexible workweek. It allowed me to schedule 4 ten-hour working days each week.

I tried:
1. Working Monday through Thursday with Friday off for a long weekend.
2. Working Tuesday through Friday with Monday off for a long weekend.
3. Working Monday & Tuesday and Thursday & Friday; taking Wednesday off to break up the workweek.

Of the three schedules I tried, the Monday off schedule was the one I liked the most. This was how I realized that I hated working on Mondays the most.

Magus
08-30-2006, 01:32

amateriat
09-03-2006, 21:54
Boomtown Rats, anyone?

William Yep, along with "Up All Night".

Of course, since being exiled to Freelancyvania, "Monday syndrome" doesn't figure in my life much. Some Mondays are chock-a-block with things happening, others are pleasantly open-ended. Like most any other day.

- Barrett

Stephan
09-03-2006, 23:36
I hate mornings, including monday ones.

DMG
10-02-2006, 02:37
just don't like days where I'm at work, especially this time of year

Pherdinand
10-02-2006, 02:45
I like mondays. Full of hope, that the week will be better than the previous one.

But then, i reeeally hate tuesdays. Guess why.

ChrisN
10-02-2006, 03:44
As a general rule, Mondays are right up there with politicians and people who go door-to-door selling religion or insurance. Today, however, was a public holiday in my part of the world, which made it one of my favourite days.

richard_l
10-02-2006, 05:23
Except for encountering grumpy people who hate Monday, I usually find it to be a refreshing day, a welcome relief from the sanctimonious climate of Sunday with its tiresome blue laws and other inconveniences. I'm retired, of course. :D

Richard

billbarber
10-02-2006, 05:53
Monday is my usual day off. And I love it.

pesphoto
10-02-2006, 05:53
Its nothing personal against mondays, just hate going to work most days.

rover
10-02-2006, 05:54
Tired, and grumpy.

Too much, too little sleep/stuff to do/who cares.

Oh, at the moment there is a story about the HCB exhibit at the MOMA, things are looking better.

rover
10-02-2006, 06:00
Actually, here is the story, I need to wake up,

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6169849

There is an HCB exhibit somewhere.

Stephanie Brim
10-02-2006, 06:02
It's 8 AM and I'm still tired even though I went to bed at before 9 last night because I as so tired and I got up at 6. I'm pondering doing some film developing to start the day and then eating breakfast.

Or perhaps breakfast first and then film...

Dougg
10-02-2006, 11:02
I suspect one's approach to Mondays is a reflection of the events of the weekend mixed with how much one likes one's job.

pesphoto
10-02-2006, 11:04
The closer I get to 5pm the more I like Mondays

Ash
10-02-2006, 16:14
I hate the bad news I get on mondays, and the stupid choices friends make. :(

Otherwise mondays are ok, just another day.

rover
10-02-2006, 17:11
Hey, how did this monday go? The boss calls me over, "I don't want to be here today, lets go golfing." ok with me.

I beat him too. :)

popstar
10-02-2006, 17:31
Mondays when I have to be in the office are not my friend. I'd rather skip most days involving the office though, so it's not just Monday!

Nice diplomatic answer Pherdinand. If only the optimism made it through the week...

ray_g
10-02-2006, 17:51
I don't, because I usually take Monday afternoons off. I hate tuesdays.

Creagerj
10-02-2006, 21:14
Her is how my Monday went. I woke up two hours earlier than my alarm was set for. Why do you ask? Because they were mowing the lawn outside of my dorm room at 7am. The mower actually took a break next to my window and yes it was still on. I went to class, normal day. Then my phone died, and when I plugged it in it displayed the message "cannot charge battery". I promised my freind that I would meet her at her house at 4:30 which would have happened but the battery in my truck was dead. I would have called my friend to let her know what was going on but my phone wasn't working. Oh, I also forgot about the show prison break which was on an hour and a half ago. My favorite show and about the only tv I watch. Good day, I think not.:bang:

pesphoto
10-03-2006, 13:48
Is it friday yet?

bobkonos
10-03-2006, 14:20
Mondays are like any other day to me: another chance, another opportunity. That said, "Stormy Monday" is a favorite blues song for me.

rover
10-03-2006, 15:22
I think I am playing golf again on Friday.

DougK
10-03-2006, 15:24
Boomtown Rats, anyone?

William
I'll second (or third) that.

Trius
10-10-2006, 18:51
I used to regard Monday as "any other day". For whatever reason, in the last few years it has become hell-on-earth. I cannot seem to get myself in gear. I am grumpy, curmudgeonly and not really sociable. My conclusion is that I am tired of working but can't yet afford to retire.

thurows
10-10-2006, 19:14
If you work for yourself you can have some months where you can't tell one day from another and others where every day feels like Monday.

Magus
10-11-2006, 03:32

DMG
10-11-2006, 10:32
mondays would be OK if it wasn't for work and people ;)

Magus
10-17-2006, 05:34

jan normandale
10-17-2006, 20:29
Every monday that I wake up, I'm very thankful. So I like Mondays, until I don't wake up of course.

JeffGreene
10-17-2006, 21:11
I'll second that, Jan! I have arthritis and every day that I first wake up is one where I wonder whether I'll still be able to handle my camera. Mondays are particularly gruesome!

alan davus
10-18-2006, 00:09
I used to regard Monday as "any other day". For whatever reason, in the last few years it has become hell-on-earth. I cannot seem to get myself in gear. I am grumpy, curmudgeonly and not really sociable. My conclusion is that I am tired of working but can't yet afford to retire.
I've got enough money to retire as long as I do'nt have to spend any of it.

Dracotype
10-18-2006, 16:36
Not as much as Tuesdays, which are lab days. Two and a half hours fiddling with oscilliscopes and RC circuts. Ugh!

smiling gecko
11-17-2006, 23:24
i am thankful for every monday i can get up, put on my clothes, tie my shoes and shuffle off into the day...with my mamiya6. :)

i am thankful for the other days as well...generally. :p

yeah...i do have my crabby days - :mad: - but they beat the alternative. i grumble and groan a little. i just try to ignore my arthritis and bursitis...and the variety of aches and pains & crackles and stifness that remind me of miscellaneous youthful excesses and choose to remember the better part of how they came about. :p

why so optimistic? why not?

no need to go too deep here, let's just say, like alot of folks i've been to and through some very dark places in life and came out to a better place. it helps when a you can survive a couple of near-death accidents and injuries...and then later, at near-midlife find a sense of belonging, a family life, that always seemed just out of reach. a second chance, redemption.

it's good to be able to acquire a sense of " non, je ne regrette rien" and to be able to say "it is a good day to die" as the lakota (or was it the cheyenne or crow) were said to have believed.

(for some reason, i feel oddly comfortable sharing my thoughts here. i suppose it's the general accepting, caring and nurturing atmosphere of the forum. it's a small gesture on my part on "paying it forward". thank you all)

pure dumb luck, my friend. may it happen for everyone.

smile, breathe, relax and enjoy

hasta la vista, voyez-vous plus tard, daskorava,fino al prossimo tempo, auf wiedersehen,, adeus para agora, la revedere, shalom, zaijian & later y’all :p :D :p

kenneth lockerman
NEVER FORGET BESLAN
www.neverforgetbeslan.com
www.neverforgetbeslan.org (under construction)
[email protected]

"...patience and shuffle the cards" miguel cervantes

Ash
11-18-2006, 13:11
How much do I hate mondays? Not NEARLY as much as I hate having to walk 3 miles home in the cold and dark because I missed my bus by less than a minute *angry*

nomade
11-18-2006, 13:18
Mondays aren't that bad actually, not that great either, many lectures and sessions, half of them are really boring, but sometimes, i quite enjoy them, so my choice will be not that much.

bsdunek
11-18-2006, 15:04
A friend of mine once said "The best thing about retirement is Sunday night!". I used to feel that way when I had a high stress job (most of my carreer). Now I'm retired and work three days a week (Tue, Wed, Thur) at the EPA as a technical advisor. I have no responsibility or authority, I just advise. They can do what they want with my advise.
The four day weekends are great, and I can also take off whenever I want.
For those of you that still work, I remember it well. Remember, we all have to make a living, and you can look forward to your turn at retirement. Just hang in there! :cool:

Ronald M
11-18-2006, 15:21
Since I retired two months ago, Mondays are fine.

Scarpia
11-18-2006, 16:20
Since I retired two months ago, Mondays are fine.
I agree, Mondays have improved considerably since I retired four years ago.I am currently spending two liesurely weeks in Nashville visiting my daughter. Couldn't have done it if I was still working.
Kurt M.

pesphoto
11-18-2006, 16:47
I wanna retire!

mwooten
11-18-2006, 16:48
"Monday's coming like a jail on wheels"
the clash

pesphoto
11-18-2006, 16:51
Acually Sunday's kinda s*ck too since I know that Monday is just around the corner.

Pepe
01-01-2007, 13:40
I once got kicked off a forum because of this question.

I answered ""on a scale of one to ten, I am eight"

they banned me for being underage, since I admiitted I was only 8 years old .....

So forgive me if I decline to answer :-)

RF-Addict
02-19-2007, 09:54
I love every day of the week, 365 a year. In fact I like Mondays better than weekends - less crowds at my favorite places to photograph. I am retired:angel:

raid
02-19-2007, 09:57
I used to dislike (on Sundays) the thought that the next day is a working day with heavy duty things to accomplish. I am now trying to teach my courses whenever possible not on Mondays so that I don't have to hate Mondays. I know beforehand that I will not be teaching on the next day. I will do other things, but those are usually done at the pace chosen by me.

gb hill
04-06-2007, 20:31
How in the devil did this thread pop up on my computer!:confused: Well anyway I voted, and I hate Mondays, Having to go back to work being of course, so tired from resting from such a strenious weekend.

leif e
04-07-2007, 08:01
i decided to change my mind about mondays a long time ago - when I rediscovered the immensely beautiful Mamas & Papas song. My prolem now - as freelancer and solo magazine publisher - is that the working week passes far too quickly. On monday there´s still something left to plan an deal with ... :-)

tkluck
04-07-2007, 08:02
Like Mondays just fine...now that I've retired.

sepiareverb
04-23-2007, 05:31
Was going to pass on this one till the alarm went off this morning...

ibcrewin
04-23-2007, 06:40
I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate mondays. They are really not that bad most of the time. But this weekend, we had a party on Saturday which we preped for since Thursday. Cleaned up into the wee hours and woke up around noon. By the time we got out it was time to go back in.

I wish today was Sunday.

Jerevan
04-23-2007, 06:51
I can't be bothered to waste energy on hating something. Life's what you make it.

Mafufo Acilu
04-23-2007, 07:05
Mondays are only bad if you think in "weekend" terms

start calling friday monday, and pick any other day to call saturday, try not to think in days at all, just go to sleep and wake up and call it anything....

Time is relative, so are the names we decide to give to groupings of time.

do what you want when you want ......

And if any job puts you down .... quit it

If you need the money that the job provides.... be happy you've got the job

If you still hate it .... do something else

If you think "how am I going to do anything else" .... you lack imagination

I love every minute my eyes are open, I like the time when they are closed too

Mshooter
04-23-2007, 07:06
Like be at work by 8:00A and go to school for my graduate studies by 7:00P and head home by 10:00P. I rather be taking pictures.

x-ray
04-23-2007, 15:52
I see Mondays as the start of a new photographic adventure.

TheHub
07-11-2007, 00:52
I work at two schools. One one Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday. The other on Thursday & Friday.

I've come in twice on Monday morning to find 300+ workbooks piled on my desk, blocking everything. On top of that I wasn't told what they were there for, I had to ask myself.

Great way to start the morning :mad: :mad: