PDA

View Full Version : Jupiter 9 comparison thread

rbiemer
08-22-2006, 05:11
Here is my first effort(for this "new crazy idea" of joe's) with the J-9 lens.
Kodak 400UC, Zorki 3m camera. "Rooms"
Rob

Pherdinand
08-22-2006, 08:37
Next time, it's my turn. :)

Pherdinand
08-27-2006, 08:34
my round
Here's a J-9 shot from earlier this year.

rbiemer
08-30-2006, 07:38
In an effort to get some comments from some of you folks that have looked at this thread, I've decided to post the other photos I have to offer for this "Sonnar(copy) Shoot Out". I had a very tough time picking one from the three that Pherdinand offered but I will leave it up to him to post the others.
Rob
Edit:
I just realized how big the "tatoo neon" photo is so I replaced it with a more appropriately sized version.

Pherdinand
08-30-2006, 07:53
Hey Rob,
the first thumbnail-link does not work for some reason.

Here are my other two candidates.

rbiemer
08-30-2006, 07:56
That's odd, Pherdinand. I changed the photos after I first put them up(the tatoo neon was huge) so myabe that's why? they both work for me now. The Mack truck is now the shot on the left and the neon shot is now on the right.
Anybody else having trouble with 'em?
Rob

Pherdinand
08-30-2006, 07:57
it works now. I still had them as the neon on the left :)

rbiemer
08-30-2006, 08:20
This project idea is giving my shooting a needed kick in the...pants(yeah, that's the word!) and when I was shooting the photos that I've posted here I was actually wearing two cameras: both Zorkis that I own and on one the J-9 and on the other the CV21. That earned me some odd glances!:D Haven't finished that roll, yet.
And since Pherdinand and I decided to shoot color that had/has me thinkig differently about what and how I'll shoot. I'm not much of a "street shooter" nor do I shoot people unknown to me very often and I did try to get something good in those areas; to push my level of uncomfortable-ness(OK, that's not a real word but I don't like the phrase "comfort zone" for anything other than temperture discussions, sorry). Didn't get anything good but I'll keep at it.
I like the directed-ness of this project as well.
And, Pherdinand, I've got some ideas about that I will discuss with you in a bit off site.
Rob

clarence
08-30-2006, 08:26
I used to think my Jupiter-9 was useless for street photography. All these photos have made me reconsider that assumption.

Clarence

Pherdinand
08-30-2006, 08:28
ROb,

I guess wearing TWO cameras in the same time might give more self confidence in shooting unknown but interesting people out there.
No seriously. One camera means you are a tourist, or worse, somebody who shoots strangers for some weeeird reason.
Two cameras - means you are a photographer with a purpose. Some people might be even flattered that you waste your precious time on them.

rxmd
08-30-2006, 08:32
Woohoo! I'll hope to receive my Jupiter 9 in a week or so. :)

Philipp

Pherdinand
08-30-2006, 08:33
I used to think my Jupiter-9 was useless for street photography. All these photos have made me reconsider that assumption.

Clarence

I don't think it's useless, actually if you want to be unnoticed it helps that you have some extra reach, BUT, there is the problem of much thinner DOF than with a 50 or wider... You either have to be able to quickly focus, or use much smaller apertures. Or hope for the best.

By the way:
The DOF at closest distance with the J-9 (1.15m i think) numeriqually approximates very well the aperture used, in cm's. I know, for some people that does not help since they have to divide by 2.54 :D but it's funny anyway.
But think about it. At f/22, you have 22 cm only!!! that's less than a foot, people!

EDIT: the "problem" of thin DOF is of course not really a problem, if that's what you want it comes in very handy!

rbiemer
08-30-2006, 08:38
ROb,

I guess wearing TWO cameras in the same time might give more self confidence in shooting unknown but interesting people out there.
No seriously. One camera means you are a tourist, or worse, somebody who shoots strangers for some weeeird reason.
Two cameras - means you are a photographer with a purpose. Some people might be even flattered that you waste your precious time on them.
Not sure about that, Pherdinand, there is a stereotype here in the US about Asian tourists carrying a silly number of cameras around their necks...and here in my home town, there are every fall about 5,000 college kids and a middle aged, slightly scruffy guy(me) taking sort of random shots of them for no reason other than "photography is my hobby"...that would lead to trouble.
I almost always have a camera on my shoulder and occasionally the kids will notice and ask me to shoot 'em. Which I am happy to do. Then I get to try to explain why "the flash didn't go off,dude!":rolleyes:
Rob