PDA

View Full Version : Last Lap: which MP to get as sibling to chrome M6??

Magus
08-21-2006, 01:48
Post deleted by posters request

richard_l
08-21-2006, 01:54
This is not a very good reason, but I just think silver chrome is nicer looking, and both black and silver lenses look good on it.

Richard

telenous
08-21-2006, 02:08
Notably the MP lacks the red badge - a good thing stealthwise - some people claim that the red logo is so garish you can actually see it from the moon.

I agree with all you say about the stealth factor and the black finish. In fact an argument could be made for the chrome finish, since its vintage look may put people at ease. But, ultimately, I don't think it makes a difference: people who are alert to cameras will take notice, no matter what finish the camera has - others wont.

This is a hard choice. I would be naturally inclined to go for chrome because it holds its resale value better - but that hardly matters, an MP is one Leica camera not to be resold. So, I will vote with my heart, and say 'black'.

telenous
08-21-2006, 02:12
Richard got to the poll first as I was writing. His point about the lenses is valid and it may decide the vote. I actually have one irreplaceable silver lens and that would have made me choose the chrome MP. Still, I 'm voting for black, on the proviso that lens finish is not an issue for you.

Magus
08-21-2006, 02:20

Mike Richards
08-21-2006, 02:27
I voted for the black paint although I much prefer chrome when strolling around in the hot summer sun. You already have the M6 for this purpose. The black paint MP is just plain beautiful and makes one appear more professional than the ubiquitous chrome snapshooters who frequent tourist places.

Magus
08-21-2006, 02:32

jaapv
08-21-2006, 03:10
I vote black chrome for a simple reason. I prefer the black paint one for looking at, the chrome one for taking pictures. I'm the odd man out in Leica-land::rolleyes: I don't like brassing!:eek:

sgy1962
08-21-2006, 06:02
Along with lens weight, this is -- in my opinion -- the most misguided constant question on Leica forums. Don't get me wrong, we've all been here. I smile with a combination of pity and embarrassment when I think of all the time and angst I spent on this very issue all those years ago.

Your poll needs another column for "It doesn't matter. Get the one that turns you on at an emotional level. All the talk about stealth, ect., is just that, talk. In the real world, the world of actually taking pictures, it doesn't matter. If you're talking about equipment a lot, it usually means that you're not taking enough pics."

FrankS
08-21-2006, 06:31
Am I missing something? How could our opinions on a matter so purely personal and subjective matter at all? Simply go with your feelings. You aren't buying the camera for us, you're buying it for yourself.

back alley
08-21-2006, 07:46
i like both black and chrome.
i have a chrome zi and if buying a second i would get the black.
just a touch easier to see 'at a glance' which i'm uding and perhaps one with a fast and the other with a slower film.

in truth, either is beautiful.

joe

Flyfisher Tom
08-21-2006, 09:21
Magus,

I'm still going to go with the black paint MP.

There is a good reason why 'stealth' bombers (for all their radar defying abilities) still never come in chrome ;)

StuartR
08-21-2006, 10:10
I went with black paint back in 2002. In my opinion the brassing is overblown. I use my MP all the time, and it still has only minor brassing on the edges, film rewind, advance lever, etc. Not very much. I bought it because I liked the look of it. Chrome shows fewer scratches. Neither will pass for a modern camera. People who look at it think its old, no matter what color it is. I have both black and chrome cameras, and I think black attracts slightly less attention. I would not worry about using chrome lenses on a black body...the issue is overblown. Use the lens that works. I have three chrome lenses, and I will still use them on the black MP. Anyway, that's my take.

Magus
08-21-2006, 10:17

FrankS
08-21-2006, 10:33
Okay then. Buy the BP.

sgy1962
08-21-2006, 10:54
I have found that the black paint smudges and fingerprints easily. In my mind, they have always looked better in pictures then in my hands. On the otherhand, there's less of an incentive to baby a black paint M, because they actually look better beat up. In other words, you may find yourself using a black paint model more.

No way, no how, never would I buy into that a la carte program because of the cost premium. Leica stuff is already very expensive.

Again, go with your gut reaction. Get the one that turns you on. For me it was the retro look of the chrome. Other people would go black paint. They both equally nice.

And if it doesn't matter, then go for the one you can get the best deal on.

Simon Larbalestier
08-21-2006, 13:32
KP there's only choice as far as i can see but i'm biased as i have one.

Black Paint :D

Magus
08-22-2006, 01:38

Magus
08-22-2006, 02:05

Magus
08-22-2006, 05:03

Ronald M
08-22-2006, 05:20
I always buy two different finishes for two different films. One screw up in a lifetime is enough.

Automobile wax will help to preserve all three finishes. I use several coats of McGuires #26 a week apart and two coats of New Finish liquid over the wax.

sgy1962
08-22-2006, 08:34
Actually that was closer to two years ago that I did that, because I've been acqusition free for some time now. I've told myself no more Leica stuff unless film or good processing goes the way of the dinosaurs. But after all this wheeling and dealing over the last decade and a half, I probably be just as happy if i kept the original M6 and lenses.

jaapv
08-22-2006, 08:47
There is a good reason why 'stealth' bombers (for all their radar defying abilities) still never come in chrome ;)

Are they SHINY black then??With brassing on the leading edges of the wings??? :p

Magus
08-22-2006, 10:41

Simon Larbalestier
08-22-2006, 14:37
whatever choice you make KP i'm sure you'll be happy :)

Honus
08-22-2006, 22:07
Black Paint

Magus
08-23-2006, 02:03

Jocko
08-23-2006, 03:24
Problem solved!

Magus
08-23-2006, 03:52

Flyfisher Tom
08-23-2006, 04:48
Are they SHINY black then??With brassing on the leading edges of the wings??? :p

Yes, after Elliot Erwitt has been flying them ;)

Magus
08-23-2006, 06:59

ghost
08-23-2006, 15:46
definitely black paint. chrome leicas since the m4-2 just look weird.

Magus
08-24-2006, 01:08

Flyfisher Tom
08-24-2006, 11:34
I think every black paint camera should aspire to the above ... a life well lived and well travelled :)

ghost
08-24-2006, 12:22
yeah, partly. the black edges to the flush windows is also odd. where are my bevels?!

richard_l
08-24-2006, 12:54
definitely black paint. chrome leicas since the m4-2 just look weird.Well, hey, that's a kewl observation! But here I am with a chrome M3, M2, and M6 lined up on my computer desk, looking for the weirdness in the M6, and it just doesn't happen. I don't even care whether the M6 looks weird, but I can't see it. :confused:

Richard

ghost
08-24-2006, 13:08
this is in the realm of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Magus
08-25-2006, 11:12

Gabriel M.A.
08-25-2006, 11:21
Yes, after Elliot Erwitt has been flying them ;)
My eyes! My beautiful eyes!

I shall now go and write that Requiem I always wanted to write...

Gabriel M.A.
08-25-2006, 11:28
Really, go with Black Chrome.

Black Paint was meant for brassing (if you're going to use the MP). Black Paint is beautiful...but I'd have to treat that MP better than I treat my ****, and that just isn't fair.

Black Chrome.

(p.s. yes, I typed the asterisks ;) )

Magus
09-16-2006, 05:00

Pherdinand
09-16-2006, 05:39
Can this MP play MP3 songs?

bobkonos
09-24-2006, 06:42
For what it is worth on the last lap, I chose silver chrome for my MP because I wanted the look of the original MP and silver chrome was, I believe, more common. A pal has the black paint model, brassing has occurred on the film advance lever end ridges, and I will admit that it does look cool. But I have no regrets at getting silver chrome as it looks classic to me and I like the contrast oif silver chrome metal and the black covering. But whichever you choose, you will LOVE this camera. You will also love using it with the M6 (my most often used outfit these days). I load one with black and white, one with color, and go. Good luck and fun shooting ahead.

P.S. For the true feel of the original MP as used by the great press photographers who were lucky enough to get one, you might add the Leicavit as offered now by Leitz or the excellent Tom Abrahamsson Rapidwinder, either in the same finish as the body you select. Either way, you'll be that much closer to the real deal. Enjoy!

Magus
09-25-2006, 03:02

ghost
09-26-2006, 19:47
one thing i don't get is the mirror finished chrome pieces. the classic ms weren't like that. it's kinda gaudy.

bobkonos
09-26-2006, 20:11
Wow, two MPs. Argent et noir, c'est bonne idee. Very nice outfit. Can a black paint Leicavit be far behind? Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Magus
09-29-2006, 01:57

Ossifan
11-02-2006, 21:00
Hi - you've got a lot of great advice here so for what it's worth, I just bought a silver/chrome MP as a sibling for my chrome M6 TTL for two simple reasons.

1. The MP will hold my 50mm summicron DR (chrome) lens.
2. I'm just a silver/chrome M camera kind of person.

I think Robin Williams's character said in the movie "Dead Again" - "You're either a smoker or not - find out which one you are and be that person." I don't smoke, and even though I totally buy into all those stealth arguments and the beauty of brassing - I can't get beyond the fact that I'm simply a chrome M camera person.

Enjoy your new camera.

Alex

richard_l
11-05-2006, 23:02
I don't know. I think my M6 would look better in black paint, but not my M3 or M2. My black Rollei 35 is sexy beyond words, but I just can't visualize how a black MP would look. Pictures don't help. I would have to hold it in my hands for awhile to make up my mind. It can't possibly look bad, but it might not go as well with some of my chrome lenses.

Richard

steve garza
12-08-2006, 13:38
I vote black chrome for a simple reason. I prefer the black paint one for looking at, the chrome one for taking pictures. I'm the odd man out in Leica-land::rolleyes: I don't like brassing!:eek:

I recently rec'd my Blk Chrm MP and love it. I know it's not smaller...but the blackness makes it seem so. Also, the matte finish gives it a more tool like feeling. I'm not scared of using this baby.....looks great w/ a black collapsible lens....

PhotoMat
12-08-2006, 14:40
While the black paint version is certainly a beautiful finish when the camera is new, I just don't understand the allure of having a camera body that brasses at a somewhat accellerated rate. Does a worn black body imply that the photographer is more professional because it shows signs of heavy use? I find it amusing that Leica offers a finish that can make the camera appear more well used than it actually is. For what reason? Unless you truly like the look of a well-worn camera, the remaining reason appears to be that some are more concerned with the outward appearance of the camera and what kind of "photographer image" that they project toward others. Poseur jewelry, IMO.

I use my cameras every day, and while I don't baby my equipment, I don't beat the crap out of it either. My cameras are the tools of the trade and I take care of that investment. If I show up at a job with a bunch of worn out looking equipment, that appearance doesn't neccessarily instill confidence in my clients. I some circumstances, it could be taken in a negative manner, (i.e. "That photographer must not be very sucessfull -- poor sap can't even buy a decent camera.") If I'm shooting a wedding, I wouldn't show up with a dirty vehicle. Likewise, I don't think that worn looking equipment tells others that we are more professional. You don't always know how you are perceived by others.

O.K., so what it boils down to is this -- what personally looks good to you? If you truly like the look of a brassed body, go for the black paint. If you want something that will look good with prolonged use, you can't go wrong with the chrome version. If you want black and durable, the ala carte choice is your only option. Too bad Leica doesn't provide a finish like the black paint with the durability of a plated finish. In my book, that would be perfect, but of course, everything is a trade-off.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your camera -- the MP is one heckuva nice piece of equipment!

Sailor Ted
12-12-2006, 10:57
Perhaps a non-issue for some but you can't get black paint engraved other wise I would vote "black paint"

visiondr
06-20-2007, 18:38
Magus, I would choose a black chrome MP. Recall, the MP will have a brass top and bottom regardless of the finish. When the black chrome eventually rubs down, the result will be a pleasant patina of brass rather than the colour under black chrome we're familiar with; zinc silver (yuk). My feeling is that the black chrome looks classy with a vulcanite covering (for a small extra cost a la carte) and will match very well with current and past black chrome (on aluminum mount) lenses.

Tchuss,
Ron

aizan
06-25-2007, 21:33
if you think about a black chrome mp, you might also consider the m4 50 jahre. played with one a couple days ago. so smooth and svelte, and it has great framelines.

x-ray
06-26-2007, 11:55
Magus:

I have three MP's. One black chrome with ostrich leather (a la carte), silver chrome with red leather (a la carte) and a hammertone set plus two chrome early M's and a black chrome M6. The black chrome M6 wears ugly and shows white metal. Black chrome is much softer than silver chrome and my black chrome MP is starting to brass on the edges, real brass if that turns you on. Personally brassy cameras look abused but some like it. The silver MP with red leather is a berauty and I've found people don't see it any more than my black camera but then I don't try to sneak around with my camera. I find this draws more attention than just standing up and making a picture. My personal favorite finish is between the black chrome and the hammertone. For stelth purposes the hammertone is the best and a beauty of a finish.

Consider the a la carte no matter what finish. I selected back ostrich leather and black chrome with my signature on the back. Something nice for my son one day. The black chrome is flat black and beautiful with virtually no reflections and the leather has a great texture to grip. It's much nicer than the new coverings and softer.

You can't go wrong with any of the choices not even red and chrome. I shot the red body at a nazi / ku klux klan rally a couple of weeks ago and no one even noticed it.