PDA

View Full Version : Todd & Wayne's 35mm Face Off

venchka
07-28-2006, 15:04
As prompted by Joe's "another new project idea", without further ado, here we go!

4 eyes, 2 brains, 1 focal length, 1 color.

Todd and I have agreed to the following parameters:

Lens: 35mm

Film: B&W

Prolog. Preamble. Kick off. Let the Game begin.

The attached photo is the most recent one I have taken with my only 35mm rangefinder lens. The original is color and I converted to B&W. I will be using C-41 process B&W for all future submissions to the project.

Canon 35mm 1:2.8/Kodak HD 200/April, 2006

Y'all have fun!

venchka
08-08-2006, 15:30
First roll of BW400CN ever. Walgreen's processing and scans. GRRRRRRRR! Be gentle.

The photos from Week #1 are, how say?, fertilizer! We aren't going there. Since Week #1 was a bust, I'm presenting 3 photos this week. Count them as Last Week, This Week and Next Week, ok?

For your viewing pleasure, I present the following 3 photos. All taken around high noon @ 100 degrees last Saturday.

M5 + Canon 35mm f:2.8 + BW400CN

Thanks for looking. I encourage and appreciate any and all comments.

Rich Silfver
08-08-2006, 15:34
I forgot..what is this project about..?

Todd.Hanz
08-08-2006, 16:01
Rich, the project was to see hwe two different people use the same focal length...I think :)

Now I need to finish my roll.

Todd

back alley
08-08-2006, 16:03
click here rich (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26365)

venchka
08-12-2006, 16:48
...Thanks for looking. I encourage and appreciate any and all comments.

I was impatient. Sorry.;)

back alley
08-12-2006, 17:37
i was waiting for todd's pics and thought i would comment on what i perceived the differnece in styles and use of the focal length to be.

(was that run on sentence?)

Todd.Hanz
08-12-2006, 18:22
Ok...Ok, here are some from today and the day before.

M6, 35/1.2 Nokton. Ilford Pan F+

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/data/500/Norton.jpg

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/data/500/Triumph.jpg

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/data/500/mens_III.jpg

Todd

back alley
08-12-2006, 19:26
see, i love this.
same focal length but 2 completely different uses/visions.

obvious difference, one is nature the other is urban.
wayne's shots are a bit too contrasty for me and take away from a peaceful scene. they tend to be busy and finding the subject is more difficult. i prefer the first scenic as the contrast is lower and viewing is easier (and i am lazy).
todd's shots are almost still lifes. i prefer the last one because of the lighting, the repeating patterns, the reflections and that the top is lighter and it goes darker as the eye heads down to the floor.
the bike shots i find hard on the eyes as the lighting is a bit harsh.

of the contrasting visions, wayne has gone big and wide with his 35 while todd slices a bit of the scene to show us.

i hope this is ok. i am working without a net here as i have rarely tried to put words to someone else's vision.

Todd.Hanz
08-12-2006, 19:32
sounds like you nailed it Joe :)

Todd

venchka
08-13-2006, 14:21
Thanks joe. Todd's right. You nailed it well. See, no net required!;)

Onwards and upwards. I need more practice.

venchka
08-15-2006, 09:41
:D

I'm off to the piney woods until Sunday. I'll see if I can't get a bit more civilized with my next photos. Too contrasty for joe, HEY? I'll see what I can do.

y'all be good! See you next week.

zuikologist
08-15-2006, 10:02
I can connect more with Todd's because of the subject matter. They are quite contrasty shots, but that suits the subject quite well. I do like the final photo - it is almost an abstract. Having said that, I like the last of Wayne's photos as the subject is more obvious and the curve of the leaves produces a good composition.

venchka
08-22-2006, 19:17
:D

...I'll see if I can't get a bit more civilized with my next photos. Too contrasty for joe, HEY? I'll see what I can do.

Y'all be good! See you next week.

Thanks for looking. Any comments, critiques, complaints or maybe even compliments greatly appreciated.

Todd.Hanz
08-22-2006, 19:44
nice job, not to urban...not to cowboy :), where was the courthouse taken?

Todd

venchka
08-22-2006, 19:50
Thanks!

All 3 in Grimes County, less than a 1/4 mile off Texas highway 90. The courthouse is in Anderson & the other two up the road in Bedias.

rbiemer
08-30-2006, 09:01
Nice work here, gentlemen! In my opinion the shots in the woods are not too contrasty--if we saw in B&W I think that the contrast in a shady wood would be more apparent; that the woods are usually mostly green fools us a little, I think, into not seeing the contrast that is there.
The light on the cycles is bright and the chrome will certainly show that(nice Triumph!). I do like the doors in the restroom for similar reasons that joe liked that photo.
The last three you posted, Wayne, I like quite a lot! The shot of the courthouse defineitely rewarded me with a longer look! At first, I thought "Nice." but as I loked at it more, I noticed the sign. And that one, seemingly small element brought the shot together for me! "Nice." changed to "Now, that's wonderful!"
Love to see some more, guys!
Rob

venchka
08-30-2006, 09:12
...The last three you posted, Wayne, I like quite a lot! The shot of the courthouse defineitely rewarded me with a longer look! At first, I thought "Nice." but as I loked at it more, I noticed the sign. And that one, seemingly small element brought the shot together for me! "Nice." changed to "Now, that's wonderful!"
Love to see some more, guys!
Rob

Thank you! You made me look again. I think you're correct. The whole time I was there, I was annoyed by that silly sign and several overhead power wires. I tried several different angles to avoid the sign. I finally gave up, got close enough to eliminate the power lines and went for the two flags. I accepted the sign as a necessary evil. I had no idea that it would "make" the photo for someone else.

The opposite happened with the Wild Bill's picture. I wanted the welcome sign in the picture. However, there was a distracting white patch on the fence behind the tree. I moved to hide it behind the tree. That's when I realized that it was a wooden replica of the Texas flag nailed to the fence. I reframed to include it and a kersosene lantern in the picture. One of those things that works for me.

One of these days I'm going back with a wider lens.

rbiemer
08-30-2006, 09:15
Wayne,
I like how incongruous that sign seems to be. I guess it's ther to tell me to drive up the right hand staircase? :D
Rob

venchka
08-30-2006, 09:24
Yup. :D :D :D

venchka
09-08-2006, 10:10
About time for a new installment.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/51564-1/Sand+Trails+C-35___8.jpg

Todd.Hanz
09-08-2006, 10:17
man, I just got rid of my only 35mm, here is a recent one taken with an oly P&S mjuII 35/2.8 lens

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/data/500/chairs_and_guy.jpg

Todd

venchka
09-08-2006, 16:22
man, I just got rid of my only 35mm,
Todd

Say what? Wish I had known.

We can change focal length if you like.

I really really need to study your work and learn how to de-clutter my photographs. You sure do know how to distill the world into a few simple and effective shapes.

Todd.Hanz
09-08-2006, 16:34
You sure do know how to distill the world into a few simple and effective shapes.

I hate clutter, of course if you could see my desk you wouldn't be able to tell :)

I traded the 35/1.2 Nokton for some other gear, but we can continue to shoot 35mm (I have the mju II the above pic was taken with)... or we can move to something different, 15-28-50-75 are what I have left. I'll eventually get another 35, probably by Nov.-Dec. time, the 35 asph is getting harder to resist :bang:

Todd

venchka
09-08-2006, 16:47
... or we can move to something different, 15-28-50-75 are what I have left. I'll eventually get another 35, probably by Nov.-Dec. time, the 35 asph is getting harder to resist :bang:

Todd

I feel creeping 'cron lust myself. One is not enough!

I have lots of 50s. How did that happen? ;) They all need exercising. I need the learning experience.

I also have one 75 that doesn't get any use. I need the learning experience.

Coin toss. Your call.

Todd.Hanz
09-08-2006, 16:50
50 seems easy enough, that way we can shoot a variety of lenses and stay in the focal length. Let's do it!

Todd