PDA

View Full Version : Guy or Gal?

Pages : [1] 2

Natalia
12-23-2004, 15:19
let's see what's the ratio b/w men and women is here on RFF. Thanks for voting.

back alley
12-23-2004, 15:22
about 400 to 1?
maybe 200 to 1?

Natalia
12-23-2004, 15:27
Originally posted by backalley photo
about 400 to 1?
maybe 200 to 1?

you guys are beating us 3/1 already:)))) This is gonna be fun! Hey, maybe there could be an award to the "loosing" party;)

back alley
12-23-2004, 15:29
i smell a set up. lol

maybe we need a recruitment officer. ;)

joe

Rick Waldroup
12-23-2004, 15:31
It is really weird that more women photographers are not into rangefinder cameras. I know several women photographers, but none that use rangefinder cameras. However, saying that, I believe that the ratio is only about 50 to 1

Peter
12-23-2004, 15:47
I agree with RDW on that. All my lady photographer friends use digital! It's something about no need to change film and ability to preview the shots after it is taken. I showed them my Bessa R2 and its all manual control, they think I am some kind of masochist for subjecting myself to such pain!

Natalia
12-23-2004, 15:50
I can't speak for everyone, but here's my way to rangefinders:

I started out with digital Nikon Coolpix 995 (3 years ago), then went through several digital SONY's including V1 that helped me achieve my plantation shot (http://www.pbase.com/natalia/image/18650382)....

then I gave up on digi P&S and got Digital Rebel ... Still wanted more control --> got 20D, which I still enjoy and use it for stock library work.

Then one day I thought "What did my Mom an'em used to shoot in their day? I got me a Canon F-1 and Oly OM-4 (although some here will tell me my Mom an'em would not shoot those:)....they probably shot Smenas, Zenits at the best;)

Anyhow, I found myself in the world of manual focus and funky wind knobs. One thing led to another and now I am into rangefinders:)

........12/1 --- c'mon gals!

rover
12-23-2004, 15:58
Linda (Andcolor) was around earlier today, she will be two.

Kin Lau
12-23-2004, 16:02
One of the more famous RF sites is that of Karen Nakamura's (sp?).

The only other friend (other than those I've met/know here) who has an RF (an Olympus XA) is also a gal.

Out of all my friends who are serious/semi about photography - being Asian, that's _many_ :) , most are female, probably about 3:2 or 2:1.

Natalia
12-23-2004, 19:59
Originally posted by Kin Lau
One of the more famous RF sites is that of Karen Nakamura's (sp?).

I did find her site - awesome info: http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/

SolaresLarrave
12-23-2004, 20:22
At this point it's 20 to 1. Need some help? You're surrounded by the finest gentlemen in the photo world! :)

Odd... I don't know many women who like cameras or photography. I have a student who minored in it, and she's a digital (Nikon D100) girl too!

But then she also considers superzooms good.

Natalia
12-23-2004, 20:29
Originally posted by SolaresLarrave
At this point it's 20 to 1. Need some help?

it ain't over till it's over:)

Originally posted by SolaresLarrave
You are surrounded by the finest gentlemen

amen...and very knowledgeable, too.

RML
12-23-2004, 22:19
I'm afraid the gal counter will rise over 5. :(

I hardly know anyone interested in photography, and know even fewer who practise it. The only one I know actually going out to shoot is one of my best friends, and she is a gal. Than two other male friends are slightly interested in photography but neither shoots much, or at all. It's a photographic desert in my world: beautiful vistas but not a person in the world to share them with. :)

matu
12-24-2004, 04:27
Im happy to see arround not only guys, its very refreshing to have a different POV.

Brian Sweeney
12-24-2004, 05:56
I lines up at Nikki's school Christmas Pageant the other day; brought the M3 DS and Canon 7. Almost everyone else had Video Cameras or Digital P&S cameras. One "Mom" had a high-end AF-SLR shooting film. I was the only one taking still "images" (film or digital) that was not using a Flash.

FrankS
12-24-2004, 06:38
Originally posted by RML
I'm afraid the gal counter will rise over 5. :(

I hardly know anyone interested in photography, and know even fewer who practise it. The only one I know actually going out to shoot is one of my best friends, and she is a gal. Than two other male friends are slightly interested in photography but neither shoots much, or at all. It's a photographic desert in my world: beautiful vistas but not a person in the world to share them with. :)

We're here for you, RML!

Welcome Lit'l Red Spy! It is good to have some females here. If it were just a bunch of geeky guys talking about photo gear it would be kinda pathetic!

Scarpia
12-24-2004, 07:33
What ever happened to Helen B?
Kurt M.

don sorsa
12-24-2004, 07:58
The casual photogs I know are about 10-1 female-male. My son plays on a traveling baseball team and about 10 parents, not counting me, bring film cameras to the games. The moms and one dad are all packing either a Canon Rebel 2000 or the Elan with 70-300 (I think) zooms loaded with 400 or 800 speed drugstore color film.

My photo club is probably 30-5 male-female.

Rob
12-24-2004, 08:29
Two photo clubs I visit are about 65 percent male, 35 percent
female. These are big clubs too of over 100 members.

RML
12-24-2004, 11:25
Frank, you guys are great. *snif* I'm getting all emotional. :)

Doug
12-24-2004, 11:31
Mostly women in our local camera club..

Natalia
12-24-2004, 11:57
Originally posted by FrankS
We're here for you, RML!

If it were just a bunch of geeky guys talking about photo gear it would be kinda pathetic!

I have a geeky side to me also:)... thanks for a warm welcome!

Oldprof
12-24-2004, 12:20
My sister-in-law shoots three or four rolls of film per week (much more than I do). She is constantly showing her friends and family her latest prints. She doesn't know anything about f-stops and shutter speeds. She uses disposable cameras. I would call her a real photographer.

FrankS
12-24-2004, 12:27
Not there's anything wrong with knowing about f-stops and shutter speeds.

(Seinfeld moment)

CleverName
12-24-2004, 13:59
What? There's no "other" option?

Natalia
12-24-2004, 14:16
Originally posted by CleverName
What? There's no "other" option?
ha-ha:D I guess I am open-minded enough!

Nikon Bob
12-25-2004, 08:42
Been watching this thread and it is going just about the way I thought it would in the male to female ratio. It is a real pity there are not more female users. That would definately bring in a different point of view if my wife is any example. She just uses whatever works which in her case is a P&S. She did say she would like one with a tele zoom though. She cannot understand why I prefer a standard trany to an automatic when the automatic will do it all for you. She is not a gear junky just practical and puts up with my camera addiction in a long suffering sort of way. Just a basic diference in the way males and females view things. When I was into shooting it was the same story. Sorry just babbling.

Bob

Rodinal Addict
12-25-2004, 11:07
Maybe this teaches us a few things about the difference between Men and Women. Men are more inclined (with onlt a few exceptions) to become obsessed with the equipment, and spend time on online forums. They create images to prove what they know about their gear. Women, I think, generally see more value in the actual image and the creative act.

nwcanonman
12-25-2004, 17:29
I'm just happy my wife not only enjoys my photographic product, but also enjoys using her digi-p&s.
Having digital liberated her by the thought she's not "wasting film", so she's improving by shooting more.
She's been instructed in aperture and exposure, but doesn't want to deal with it and will spend more time composing with her p&s than I will shooting full manual.
To each "her" own ~ ; - )

Natalia
12-27-2004, 21:33
I tell ya, the ratio in this poll needs to be evened out some kinda way:)

back alley
12-27-2004, 21:39
feelin' a bit lonely?

there are, i think, only 2 other female members here.

maybe tell your friends about us...?

joe

Natalia
12-27-2004, 21:43
Originally posted by backalley photo
feelin' a bit lonely?

there are, i think, only 2 other female members here.

maybe tell your friends about us...?

joe

...that's what I'll have to do, Joe. By the way, I am getting my Oly 35RC in 2 days!!!!!!!

back alley
12-27-2004, 22:11
i hope you like it as much as i like mine.

i have decided to stop buying fixed lens rf cameras, except for the oly 35 rc. it is the perfect camera in so many ways. small, light but solid (metal), good enough meter for b&w film, excellent lens very sharp, works w/o a battery so sunny 16 will do. what more can one ask for?
i have 3 now and will add more as price/budget/good deal will allow.

joe

joe

Krasnaya_Zvezda
12-28-2004, 06:54
Originally posted by Rodinal Addict
Maybe this teaches us a few things about the difference between Men and Women. Men are more inclined (with onlt a few exceptions) to become obsessed with the equipment, and spend time on online forums. They create images to prove what they know about their gear. Women, I think, generally see more value in the actual image and the creative act.

I think, sir, that you have succinctly and eloquently hit the proverbial nail on its mythical head.
I have known several 'serious' amateur photogs who were female, and only one fell into the category of gearhead... and I am not trying to be funny but she was a girl who was a 'one of the boys' type of girl, if you know what I mean, lacking any feminine charm whatsoever. And she didn't use a rangefinder either.

Kin Lau
12-28-2004, 08:52
Girls like to collect and use also, but they're not usually gearheads like guys. They're even less likely to be talking about it on an online forum.

Natalia
12-28-2004, 09:12
Originally posted by Kin Lau
Girls like to collect and use also, but they're not usually gearheads like guys. They're even less likely to be talking about it on an online forum.

I must admit I like talking about photo (and other mechanical/electronics as well) gear, but I also love singing, playing the piano and guiter, writing poetry, painting, working in Photoshop, shooting guns (with my hubby), shooting film and digital and giving photos to friends and family.

One of my greatest joys is passing my knowledge and passion for photography to my 2 daughters (8 and 4)....In fact, my 8-year-old, who's mind is very much like mine, and I will be building a box camera together. (I homeschool and that gives us plenty of time to interact). ... That gives me an idea for another thread

:D

Stu :)
12-28-2004, 17:31
I remember back in the dawn of the internet in the home, girls avoided places like this because they use to get hit on. How times have changed...

My biggest surprise many years ago was the university's role-playing club, I expected to see mainly big sweaty guys, skinny geeks and one or two die-hard female Anne Rice fans (normal RPG stereotypes). How wrong was I! The ratio was 60/40 females to male! According to my fellow drinking buddies I joined all the "right" uni clubs.

DougK
12-28-2004, 21:13
I must not have been playing RPGs at the right university...

AndColor
12-29-2004, 10:15
yes, lady here...and not posting too much these days because, well just because...welcome, lilred...i like being in the company of all these guys w. cameras.

i am shootong a lot of digital these days, but dearly love my film camera too. does this make me a fickle woman?

Natalia
12-29-2004, 10:17
Hi, AndColor. Finally! Oh yea, please, put your vote in the poll.

taffer
12-29-2004, 10:42
Originally posted by Stu :)
I remember back in the dawn of the internet in the home, girls avoided places like this because they use to get hit on. How times have changed...

My biggest surprise many years ago was the university's role-playing club, I expected to see mainly big sweaty guys, skinny geeks and one or two die-hard female Anne Rice fans (normal RPG stereotypes). How wrong was I! The ratio was 60/40 females to male! According to my fellow drinking buddies I joined all the "right" uni clubs.

Stu, indeed the RPG and/or Manga worlds have surprising ratios :D

Our uni even launched a campaign with ads and posters saying 'girls, don't be afraid of engineering!'. I guess what they really wanted to say was 'girl, don't be afraid of engineers!' :p

Fortunately, things have changed and we no longer have a so appalling ratio, nor have to compile our Modula-2 programs on monochrome VT220 terminals over a VAX/ALPHA machine :bang:

12-29-2004, 13:32
Originally posted by taffer
Stu, indeed the RPG and/or Manga worlds have surprising ratios :D

It still surprises me. However wargames here seems to be still a male populated pastime.

Fortunately, things have changed and we no longer have a so appalling ratio, nor have to compile our Modula-2 programs on monochrome VT220 terminals over a VAX/ALPHA machine :bang: [/B]

<giggle> :D
It could be worse... Babbage machines!
Second assignment for Robotics at UA was write a report on the infernal device and produce a BASIC C version of it with RS-232 or parallel outputs...

Natalia
01-13-2005, 06:45
alright, gals, put your vote in here!

vladhed
01-13-2005, 09:24
...and then there are people like Karen Nakamura, who is a complete gearhead: http://www.photoethnography.com/

Don't think she visits here anymore - even then her computer just died so she won't be looking anytime soon.

dmr
02-09-2005, 13:27
LOL! I thought I would be in the minority here, but not by this amount! :)

(And I'm not answering the one on age!) :) :(

Natalia
02-09-2005, 14:15
Well, welcome, dmr436. It's a great place here!

rover
02-09-2005, 16:37
Well, Natalia will tell you that we are a relatively well behaved and smartly groomed bunch of lugs.

Welcome.

Natalia
02-09-2005, 17:38
Rover, truth be told this forum is very ABNORMAL....No flaming, no cursing, etc. That's why I stayed here. So, all the newbs, come on in, the water's fine:)

back alley
02-09-2005, 18:04
we are a bunch of nice guys.
or is that a nice bunch of guys?

i always get confused.

joe

tedwhite
02-09-2005, 19:25
Why do we have to be a "bunch" of nice guys? Why can't we be a "gaggle of nice guys." It's more alliterative.

back alley
02-09-2005, 19:30
could be a group of guys too.

or a gang of guys.

jdos2
02-09-2005, 19:34
Hmmm. It's a "murder" of crows. (And after trying to sleep next to a group of 'em I understand why)...

dmr
02-10-2005, 06:38
Rover, truth be told this forum is very ABNORMAL....No flaming, no cursing, etc. That's why I stayed here. So, all the newbs, come on in, the water's fine:)

Yes, in 2 days I'm very impressed with the quality of the people, the conversation, and the photos here. :) With many of the online forums (fora?) you really have to have thick skin! This place seems to be indeed the rose among the thorns! :)

I came here mainly to identify a camera I once had, and I was only dreaming of finding another one. Within a day, not only did it get identified, but another user here pointed to one on sale on Ebay (mis-filed under SLRs). :) Alas, somebody else wanted it more than I did. :) I'm sure there will be others now that I know exactly what to look for (and that I know to search more than the rangefinder category there).

Thanks again, gang. :)

Oh, and I do think that "guys" is sufficiently unisex. :)

Now to think of the correct collective noun for rangefinder fans. :)

FrankS
02-10-2005, 07:26
we are a bunch of nice guys.
or is that a nice bunch of guys?

i always get confused.

joe

I think we're a nice bunch of nice guys.

back alley
02-10-2005, 07:58
Now to think of the correct collective noun for rangefinder fans.

geeks?

joe;)

ddunn
02-10-2005, 12:18
Now to think of the correct collective noun for rangefinder fans.

geeks?

joe;)

Perhaps a

coincidence

FrankS
02-10-2005, 12:54
Beautiful! A coincidence of rangefinder camera fans! I love this kind of wordplay!

How about a clatter of SLR fans? A snob of Leicaphiles?

dmr
02-10-2005, 13:25
Beautiful! A coincidence of rangefinder camera fans! I love this kind of wordplay!

LOL! That's so bad it's good! :)

How about a clatter of SLR fans? A snob of Leicaphiles?

Hey, if only I could afford a Leica. :)

Brian Sweeney
02-10-2005, 13:29
I don't know, at my age I just feel Semi-Silvered...

Kin Lau
02-10-2005, 14:11
ReeF'rs... if someone can make the ee's overlap a bit, it'd be perfect.

Natalia
02-10-2005, 14:27
perhaps simply RFFers

Brian Sweeney
02-10-2005, 14:55
ReeF'rs... Like in ReeFr Madness??? May fit, Wrong Decade.

"Hey Baby, Let's Split This Scene" Has a very different meaning looking through an RF. Ahhh The '70s.

My Mind, Dave...

Kin Lau
02-10-2005, 15:07
Aren't the 70's the best decade for the RF's? All the best RF's seem to be late 60's early 70's models. Of course the LTM & Contax years were earlier, but critical mass seems to be the 70's.

Brian Sweeney
02-10-2005, 15:15
I would say the 1950's was the "Golden" age for Rangefinder cameras. Leica M3 and M2, Nikon SP, Canon VI, Canon P, Contax IIIa and IIa, Retina IIIS,

Before the Darkness set in, In The form of SLR mirror black-out...

The 70's was more the Swan Song; the age of compact Fixed-Lens Rangefinder cameras.

sockeyed
02-10-2005, 15:27
What a sausage fest this forum is! Thank god that we're not all here looking for dates.

It is interesting that most of the women I know who are into photography are shooting digital, as has been mentioned.

But what's also interesting is that I'm taking a photography and darkroom course right now (as an excuse to get back into a darkroom), and I am the only guy in the class, including the instructor.

None of the women seem to be very interested in talking about gear, though...

Kin Lau
02-10-2005, 15:43
Hey:)

I'll just chuck my new (to me) 1961 M2 in the bin then, shall I? ;)

Salud!

ManGo

Yes.. chuck it. I'll even send you the postage so that it ends up in the correct bin :).

Kin Lau
02-10-2005, 15:52
I would say the 1950's was the "Golden" age for Rangefinder cameras. Leica M3 and M2, Nikon SP, Canon VI, Canon P, Contax IIIa and IIa, Retina IIIS,

Before the Darkness set in, In The form of SLR mirror black-out...

The 70's was more the Swan Song; the age of compact Fixed-Lens Rangefinder cameras.

Yes... I'd much rather have anyone of the above list, and I don't argue it. My point was that of critical mass. Million's of RF's were made and sold in the 70's, and it's also the main reason why most of us are here.

tedwhite
02-10-2005, 17:01
In my Fall Introduction to Black and Whit Film Photography class at a nearby college I had eleven women and two men (one guy later dropped out). In my Spring class I have eleven women and two men. None of them seem more than mildly interested in gear. I've brought in for examination a Speed Graphic, Kiev 4A, Yashica Electro 35 GSN, Maxxum 7 with lenses, Olympus XA, Asahi Pentax Spotmatics with a variety of lenses. Ho hum.

All they seem to care about is getting the camera (any camera) to work properly so they can get a decentl negative, and then to make a decent print. However, they're having a great deal of fun - many say it's their best class.

And I'm a guy who can spend half an hour just looking at a Leica. Or a Bessa, etc.

Perhaps the women in the class, who range in age from 15 to 40, have figured out that photography is an even playing field when it comes to getting good. Muscles are irrelevant.

The other day I quipped that looking through an RF was the only way you could have double vision without being drunk. Dead silence.

BTW, if you want to read my latest column ("The Class") about teaching just such a photography class, it's in an internet magazine I regularly write for:

www.bisbeemarquee.com/

Under my name in the regular contributors (or columns). To see some of my pics, go to the Galleries section and scroll down.

Cheers,

Ted

Graham Line
02-10-2005, 17:21
There are several very well-regarded women photographers here at the newspaper mill, but only one of them uses an RF regularly and none of them spend much time on-line. A friend who teaches community college-level photography classes says women students outnumber men, but are generally more interested in images and processes than hardware.

yankeedoll
02-10-2005, 18:48
There have been a number of well-respected women photographers over the years.

I am new to the forum with little actual experience and have just discovered the joy of shooting with a rangefinder. Yet I am just as interested in camera equipment as I am in what I can do with it.

Natalia
02-10-2005, 18:57
I am just as interested in camera equipment as I am in what I can do with it.

That's just how I feel.....

Kin Lau
05-02-2005, 06:22
So it's Natalia, AndColor, dmr436 and yankeedoll, but only 3 voted.

I think there's been a few more gal's recently, so lets bump this one back up.

Wayne R. Scott
05-02-2005, 12:30
Bump. Stephanie B. needs to vote :rolleyes:

Wayne

jbw
05-02-2005, 19:56
One More.........Woo Hoo!! Girl Power....

MCTuomey
05-02-2005, 20:17
I find that far more men photograph in my area than women, but that women seem far more interested in looking at photos than men, especially of people. Of course, there are plenty of exceptions ...

tajart
05-02-2005, 21:00
i know many women who use rangefinders and other cameras as well. at my univ i'd venture to say there are more women in the darkroom than men. they're using everything from rebels to nikons, holgas, rolleis, and in my intro course this term one woman has a 'blad. history has shown that there are numerous great photographers, many of whom were/are women. ah yes, and i know several women who are currently leica shooters as well as an occasional zorki, zenit, and kiev shooters.

Fedzilla_Bob
05-02-2005, 22:17
When all is said and done, it is the photographer that takes the picture and not the gender... Right?

Now that I have said that I get to refute, in part, what I just said. I doubt a man would have had Diane Arbus or Annie Liebowitz POV.

ent2b
05-02-2005, 22:30
with such good women:men ratios in class, i think i'll take a photog course at my local jr college this summer! :D

there was an excellent thread along these gender lines on fredmiranda about a month ago, but can't find it now. Basically, several of the women posters there had stated that as women, many of them had kids, household stuff in addition to work to take care of, and hence, they spent neither that much time posting on the forums or being hardware "geeks" due to greater limitations on their time. They wanted to take pics, look at them, learn, and then take more pics rather than getting stuck in the equipment end of it.

Heath
05-03-2005, 02:50
I am a member of another photography forum that has more women members than men. You should see these girls go on about their equipment (photographic equipment). There are many great photographers there, mainly doing portrait work, but some do fine art. Most use digital SLR's, some use MF (including the infamous Holga) and one even uses large format. I even directed one of the women here when she had some questions about her Leica, but she doesn't seem to have turned up.

Heath

Oh yeah, the other forum is I Love Photography (http://ilp.tlcwe.com/forums/index.php?).

Uncle Bill
06-02-2005, 06:53
Natalia,
I think the big problem is we are nerds, I do not mean that in a derrogatory sense. We are passionate about photgraphy and the equipment we use, due to that we can get obessive. I hate to say this, it is mostly a guy thing, most women photographers I know see their camera gear as just a tool and that is it. The other thing is years ago most women who ventured onto forums were hit on or harrassed which is wrong on so may levels. I would love a woman's perspective especially looking at my ever expanding portfolio which I will post sometime in my copious free time and when I can get a scanner.

Uncle Bill

kiev4a
06-02-2005, 07:08
Bill:

I think your analysis is probably a good one -- as far as how women view their photography gear (a means to an end) and their treatment on line. Very few women who try to participate in forums that I have been on last very long. No proof but I suspect they often get hit with more than "shop talk." It's a shame.

thpook
06-02-2005, 07:18
If you can wait 14 years, I'll make sure my daughter starts coming here after she gets my M2.

Natalia
06-02-2005, 07:54
Natalia,
I think the big problem is we are nerds, I do not mean that in a derrogatory sense. We are passionate about photgraphy and the equipment we use, due to that we can get obessive. I hate to say this, it is mostly a guy thing, most women photographers I know see their camera gear as just a tool and that is it. The other thing is years ago most women who ventured onto forums were hit on or harrassed which is wrong on so may levels. I would love a woman's perspective especially looking at my ever expanding portfolio which I will post sometime in my copious free time and when I can get a scanner.

Uncle Bill

Bill, good observations. Speaking for myself I am a geek as well, and a neatness freak (I never keep any icons except "Hard Drive" on my computer :) )

Strangly enough, I've never been "hit on" online. I hope it continues to be a smooth ride .........

dmr
06-02-2005, 09:03
Strangly enough, I've never been "hit on" online. I hope it continues to be a smooth ride .........

Just wait, it will happen. Not if, but when. :)

Usually telling them "I'm old enough to be your mom" shuts them up. :) :) :)

Kin Lau
06-02-2005, 10:04

Your old sig probably helped ... the one about shooting glocks :).

tamerlin
06-02-2005, 11:23
I think the numbers in the photo club I joined are about even. I did meet one woman photographer
who uses an older Canon manual SLR and doesn't like it when she gets an autofocus setup in
her hands :) She's also quite good, and a darkroom fan. I'm going to try to get her help in getting
started processing film sometime this summer :)

One of the students in my karate class is a woman who is also a photography fan, who uses a
Canon film camera, one of the Eos models.

I haven't seen very many rangefinder users around here, though, alas.

Natalia
06-02-2005, 11:25

will keep that in mind;)

Natalia
06-02-2005, 11:26
Your old sig probably helped ... the one about shooting glocks :).

Kim, you remember that, heh?

Little Prince
06-02-2005, 11:27
I took a darkroom course. There were 3 males & 2 females. Not bad huh?

Krasnaya_Zvezda
06-02-2005, 12:36

I tried to shut some guys up in a chat room once, but I couldn't do it.
This happened to me years ago, early days of the 'net, for me anyway:
Remember, I'm a guy.
This was about 1992, I was on a service called US Videotel, IIRC. There were some chat rooms, they were supposed to be 'poker games' online, but they were really just chat rooms. I was a newbie, wanted to play some poker just for fun, late at night, knocking back a few... I couldn't figure out how the interface worked, it wasn't very intuitive. I asked for help from others in the room, but with the user name "T-Bolt" or whatever I was using, no one would respond. I signed off, and rejoined under the name "Japan Girl" and my oh my, what help was offered to me then. I swear, before the night was over, WITH NO ENCOURAGEMENT FROM ME, nonetheless I had two different guys profess their love for me, and one wanted to marry me. All I told them was I was a 22 year old half-Japanese girl who had grown up in Japan, and now I was a student in the US. No physical description (they supplied that for me: "I'll bet you're 5 feet tall, long straight black hair, right? About 100 lbs?" "No, not me, I'm not one of those tiny Asian beauties." "Bullsh$$t, I know you must be gorgeous...") I told them I was a nerd who liked classical music and chess. This happened to be the description of my girlfriend at the time, so I was not having to dream this stuff up as I went along. I felt like a baby at midnight surrounded by vampires! These guys were unrelenting in their insistence that we should meet, they could make me happy, etc. I told them all I wasn't interested in a relationship and I certainly had no desire to meet any of them, but it was like talking to brick. What an educational experience for me, seeing firsthand from the perspective of a woman. I've never been one of those pushy guys, thank God, and I certainly empathize with any females who have been similarly 'molested' on the web.

Natalia
06-02-2005, 12:41
I tried to shut some guys up in a chat room once, but I couldn't do it.
This happened to me years ago, early days of the 'net, for me anyway:
Remember, I'm a guy.
This was about 1992, I was on a service called US Videotel, IIRC. There were some chat rooms, they were supposed to be 'poker games' online, but they were really just chat rooms. I was a newbie, wanted to play some poker just for fun, late at night, knocking back a few... I couldn't figure out how the interface worked, it wasn't very intuitive. I asked for help from others in the room, but with the user name "T-Bolt" or whatever I was using, no one would respond. I signed off, and rejoined under the name "Japan Girl" and my oh my, what help was offered to me then. I swear, before the night was over, WITH NO ENCOURAGEMENT FROM ME, nonetheless I had two different guys profess their love for me, and one wanted to marry me. All I told them was I was a 22 year old half-Japanese girl who had grown up in Japan, and now I was a student in the US. No physical description (they supplied that for me: "I'll bet you're 5 feet tall, long straight black hair, right? About 100 lbs?" "No, not me, I'm not one of those tiny Asian beauties." "Bullsh$$t, I know you must be gorgeous...") I told them I was a nerd who liked classical music and chess. This happened to be the description of my girlfriend at the time, so I was not having to dream this stuff up as I went along. I felt like a baby at midnight surrounded by vampires! These guys were unrelenting in their insistence that we should meet, they could make me happy, etc. I told them all I wasn't interested in a relationship and I certainly had no desire to meet any of them, but it was like talking to brick. What an educational experience for me, seeing firsthand from the perspective of a woman. I've never been one of those pushy guys, thank God, and I certainly empathize with any females who have been similarly 'molested' on the web.

:)))))))) that's quite a story. Love your sig, by the way, although I hate that stuff. Champaigne is more for me!

titrisol
06-02-2005, 12:51
the ratio is 32/1 so far ... not bad!

dmr
06-02-2005, 13:05
I've never been one of those pushy guys, thank God, and I certainly empathize with any females who have been similarly 'molested' on the web.

Not to go into detail, but at times I was into both IRC (chat) and Fidonet. Although most of the guys on both were perfect gentlemen, some of them would come on to you like a mack truck! It's much different than when it happens in real life, sure there's the distance of the net, but then you never really know who's behind the name at the other end of the connection.

On IRC they were called HNG's (horny net geeks) and they surely had a lot to learn about tact. :)

Krasnaya_Zvezda
06-02-2005, 13:08
...you never really know who's behind the name at the other end of the connection.

They sure didn't know in my case!

tedwhite
06-02-2005, 18:34
Natalia, I remember well the Glock bit, as I have one. We have two female police officers here, both are plainclothes detectives, both carry Glocks, both are very, very good shots. Thank God they've never had to use them.

Natalia
06-02-2005, 18:43
Natalia, I remember well the Glock bit, as I have one. We have two female police officers here, both are plainclothes detectives, both carry Glocks, both are very, very good shots. Thank God they've never had to use them.

Ted, I must agree that lots of women are good shots.....at least my hubby told me I was whenhe took me to the range to learn. I must admit I do not carry Glock on me, but a snubby S&W.

Fedzilla_Bob
06-02-2005, 18:51
Not to go into detail, but at times I was into both IRC (chat) and Fidonet. Although most of the guys on both were perfect gentlemen, some of them would come on to you like a mack truck! It's much different than when it happens in real life, sure there's the distance of the net, but then you never really know who's behind the name at the other end of the connection.

On IRC they were called HNG's (horny net geeks) and they surely had a lot to learn about tact. :)

I am a post IRC user, I am also partially responsible for merging ICQ's programming into AIM (I did some of the marketing reasearch that led to the business relationship formed with ICQ's Isreali owners). I met a ton of interesting people through IRC, including my wife.

One thing I discovered was that HNGs weren't exclusively male. However, I must admit that the guys were the absolute worst offenders. In number as well as in behavior.

Fedzilla_Bob
06-02-2005, 18:56
Oh, and many of the naughty ones were my age and older. Male and Female.

tedwhite
06-02-2005, 19:52
Snubby S&W's, Natalia, are designed specifically for just that: carry unobtrusively. "Glock" even sounds large.

What do you think of Gevorg's website in Kiev? (ARAX photo).

Ted

solane
06-02-2005, 20:58
i've been lurking in the forum for a few weeks but for my inaugural post, i've decided to post here. female gear geek whose roots were in manual SLR but moved to AF SLR, digital, DSLR and now, i'm back to film.

in the process of returning to film, i've gone a step further, to RF. right now, i just have fixed lens RFs but like all RF geeks, i dream of one day owning a leica. anyway, geek on.

Natalia
06-02-2005, 21:06
Alright! More gals! Welcome......

tedwhite
06-02-2005, 21:12
Welcome, Solane. I appreciate your hard path to RF enightenment.

Pray tell, what "fixed lens" rangefinders do you own?

Ted

Gabriel M.A.
06-02-2005, 22:35
Whohoo! Five! Count them, five! I always read on the 'net that "the wife" has this camera, "the wife" has that problem, "the wife" is looking for a cheap alternative, etc. etc. Perhaps "the wife" should join the forum en masse?

Oh wait...most of you guys would go into massive GAS withdrawal, wouldn't you?

dmr
06-03-2005, 00:52
Yes, welcome! :) You will find this is a very good group here.

5, huh? That's 5 out of 150-some who did this poll. Aren't there a couple thousand actual members here? Gotta be more of us lurking. :)

solane
06-03-2005, 05:09
thanks for the warm welcome. i borrowed a friend's canonet GIII-QL17 last year and i've been trying to get him to sell it to me ever since. since he positively refuses, i've had to take matters into my own hands.

i've bought a few on ebay recently and i'm still cleaning, experimenting and trying to get the hand of things. i have a minolta hi-matic 7 and a 7s and a yashica GSN. those canonets are getting pricey on ebay -- especially since no one seems to know if the cameras they're selling work or not.

einolu
06-03-2005, 05:47
You might want to try the russian RFs since there is no battery to worry about and they usually work, no matter what condition they are in.

dmr
06-03-2005, 06:46
thanks for the warm welcome. i borrowed a friend's canonet GIII-QL17 last year and i've been trying to get him to sell it to me ever since. since he positively refuses, i've had to take matters into my own hands.

That is the camera that the gang here suggested for me, as my first choice (one that I had years ago and sold) :( is not readily available. I like it more and more the more I use it. About the only thing I wish it had (other than interchangeable lenses, that is) is manual match-needle exposure.

i've bought a few on ebay recently and i'm still cleaning, experimenting and trying to get the hand of things. i have a minolta hi-matic 7 and a 7s and a yashica GSN. those canonets are getting pricey on ebay -- especially since no one seems to know if the cameras they're selling work or not.

The one I got from Ebay did not work. I bought it as-is and took my risk. The people here were most helpful in giving me my baptism by fire in camera repair. :) I ended up having to tear apart much of the front to get the stuck shutter un-stuck, and then I replaced the light seals. That job is far more tedious than it appears to be.

If you have any that don't work, don't be afraid to ask for help and advice here. You will get it -- in abundance! :)

Little Prince
06-03-2005, 07:47
"Whohoo! Five! Count them, five! I always read on the 'net that "the wife" has this camera, "the wife" has that problem, "the wife" is looking for a cheap alternative, etc. etc. Perhaps "the wife" should join the forum en masse?"

LOL :D

I bet the wife was not looking for the cheap alternative. She must have been kicking someone's b*tt into looking. :D

dmr
06-04-2005, 23:05
Hey Jorge, or another Moderator, I was just thinking ... uh, if we could get a sticky on this thread we might get more people to take this poll. How 'bout it, please. :) TIA! :)

back alley
06-04-2005, 23:51
or another Moderator

that would be me, joe, aka backalley.

jorge owns the site, i moderate.

joe

dmr
06-04-2005, 23:53
Thanks, Joe. :)

tedwhite
06-05-2005, 09:18
All things in moderation....

Russ
06-05-2005, 10:11
Alright! More gals! Welcome......

How about if I get in touch with my feminine side, when I shoot? Does that qualify me?

Russ

StuartR
06-05-2005, 15:20
Though they are certainly underrepresented in online forums, I don't think women are underrepresented in photography at all. There has been a long line of fabulous female photographers -- Diane Arbus, Marian Post Wolcott, Martine Franck and so on. Santa Barbara has one of the better photography schools in the country, and all the people I seem to meet from there seem to be women (that may also be because I only really pay attention to them!). The people working in the camera stores here (mostly students) are about 60/40 women. Here is a photographer that I came upon when I was out walking the other day. She was gearing up to do an assignment. Digital SLR though...

http://www.stuartrichardson.com/brookie3.jpg

Chuck A
06-05-2005, 16:30
They are all out taking photos instead of spending time on forums like us. :p

Gabriel M.A.
06-05-2005, 16:57

I think they are posing. We're too ugly to sit in front of them ;)

dmr
06-05-2005, 17:39

Well, while we are (still) outnumbered on many on-line forums (fora?) the balance is indeed shifting. It's not as lopsided as it was when I was in grad school back in the 80's and things were very primative compared to the way they are now.

Some fora do appear to be getting a good balance. The Las Vegas Talk (www.lasvegastalk.com), for example, appears to be well mixed even though gaming has historically been considered to be a male avocation.

Now if you REALLY want to be outnumbered, try a computer user group meeting! :)

tedwhite
06-05-2005, 18:59
I would rather have anaesthic-free root canal surgery than join a computer users' group. But that's just me.

"Fora?" Interesting, never thought about it, nor do I recall ever hearing or seeing the word.. Datum is singular and data is plural, so it is correct to say, "this datum" and "these data." Turns out either "forums" or "fora" happens to be O.K. So you pays your money and you takes your choice.

I may have mentioned this before, but in both of the photography classes I taught last year the overwhelming majority of students were female.

dmr
06-05-2005, 20:20
I would rather have anaesthic-free root canal surgery than join a computer users' group.

ROFL! I've gotta remember that for the next meeting! :) Yeah, I'm outnumbered. :)

"Fora?" Interesting, never thought about it, nor do I recall ever hearing or seeing the word..

Ok, curiosity got me and I looked it up. Websters says both (forums and fora) are correct. :)

I may have mentioned this before, but in both of the photography classes I taught last year the overwhelming majority of students were female.

Yes, I remember you saying that -- maybe even in this thread a number of pages back. :) I don't doubt it at all. In photography itself, I know there's a good mix. I do get the feeling that interest in vintage cameras is male-dominated, as are online fora. :)

suzums
06-16-2005, 11:48
*raises hand*

lady here!

rover
06-16-2005, 12:29
Hi suzums

And then there were 6

Natalia
06-16-2005, 13:32
Yes! Another one.....Welcome, suzums.

dmr
06-16-2005, 13:40
*raises hand*

lady here!

Yes, welcome, uh ... looks like you've been around here longer than I have. :)

Anyway, we'll eventually outnumber them at this rate, right? :)

suzums
06-16-2005, 22:46
lol. thank you for the welcomes!

yes yes, sign up awhile ago and finally have time to browse!

outnumber the boys...! haha we'll have to try!

sychan
06-18-2005, 01:41
Someone was talking about guys talking about their wives being photographers. Well, I'm definitely in that category since my SO ( http://www.patchan.com/ ) is the photographer, while I'm the guy who surfs the web and posts the occasional social snapshot.

What does my SO shoot? Ummmm...Nikon D[mumble]x....

I'm the one with Hexars, Leicas and Kievs.

jrong
06-20-2005, 04:41
And now, make it 7. ;)

cheers, Jin

suzums
06-20-2005, 04:48
And now, make it 7. ;)

cheers, Jin

Its good to have you!

Welcome to the forum! ;)

Natalia
06-20-2005, 08:36
Welcome, Jin.

solane
06-20-2005, 20:31
yes, welcome to all the other ladies in da house!

whenever i talk about cameras, and why this model is better than that or this lens is faster, etc my SO's eyes glaze over. as if i were talking about nail polish and shoes! can you believe it?

does this ever happen to you?

Stephanie Brim
06-20-2005, 20:32
I have never felt so outnumbered in my entire life. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Natalia
06-20-2005, 20:46
I have never felt so outnumbered in my entire life. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I think it's kinda cool.....When there's a shortage of something, it's value goes up :angel:

Natalia
06-20-2005, 20:48

whenever i talk about cameras, and why this model is better than that or this lens is faster, etc my SO's eyes glaze over. as if i were talking about nail polish and shoes! can you believe it?

My hubby used to do that.....Over the years my knowledge and passion about cameras and photography rubbed off on him. :D

Stephanie Brim
06-20-2005, 20:49
Cool. I shall sell myself for display on Ebay for $1,000 in hopes to get the money for my M. Any takers? I can hold a pose for a decently long time and will take very short breaks. :P

Gabriel M.A.
06-20-2005, 22:56

I guess I'm lucky my SO finds it "cute" that I like to talk about my "toys" with detail. She likes photography too, but she's an all-film girl, and she just can't afford it in various levels, no matter how I try to encourage it. Sometimes I try to lend her my Canon 20D, but "it's not the same".

::gasp:: Does that make me as if I were talking about nail polish and shoes!? :eek:

It's great to see we're up to the whopping number of 8; an increase of 3 in only two weeks!

wlewisiii
06-20-2005, 22:59
Cool. I shall sell myself for display on Ebay for $1,000 in hopes to get the money for my M. Any takers? I can hold a pose for a decently long time and will take very short breaks. :P

(shakes head _hard_) I am not going there... I am not going there...
I am not going there... I am not going there... I am not going there... I am not going there...

:D

William

Gabriel M.A.
06-20-2005, 23:01

LOL. Sorry, can't afford the reserve price. Be careful, there's this casino out there that likes to buy odd eBay auctions; they may make you pose each letter of their business name...

cp_ste.croix
06-20-2005, 23:27
I guess I'm lucky my SO finds it "cute" that I like to talk about my "toys" with detail.

mine also thinks it's cute how excited i get over cameras and photography, especially when I wax philisophical, but alas, my passion is not contagious. If it were I might be able to convince her to buy my EOS off of me, or we could pool our money and buy me...er...us an M6.

I'm trying to get her to join and become a member, but i'm not holding my breath :)

sychan
06-21-2005, 00:06
Actually, having a SO that appreciates camera gear can be irritating. Sometimes when I go looking for a particularly nice lens of mine, I discover that it has disappeared into the depths of her gear bag.

Or when I pick turn on the digicam to take a picture, I discover that she took the CF card out to use at a wedding shoot and didn't return it.

And then, other times, I go with her to some photographer's event, and come home with a few dozen rolls of free MF film. And I just got a D100 as a "hand me down" :D

It has its ups and downs...

We may have lots more women around, but they just don't feel compelled to opine publicly the way that many guys do :)

cp_ste.croix
06-21-2005, 00:14
We may have lots more women around, but they just don't feel compelled to opine publicly the way that many guys do :)

mabe if we talked more of photography and less of gear? The women in my life seem less motivated by gear than myself and my friends are...

jrong
06-21-2005, 00:47
I've been an engineer for some years, so I am very used to being outnumbered. ;)

I like discussing gear as much as talking about photography. What I don't "get" are those people with cabinets full of expensive gear but only a few, mediocre photos to show from it all.....!

Hmm, and I don't like big zooms. ;)

Cheers, Jin

Kara
08-26-2005, 20:12
rofl, I make 10% of the women vote on the forum!

jano
08-26-2005, 20:52
I found this entire post both interesting and entertaining, thank you all!

My local photo club is about 50:50. I am the youngest in the group (by at least 10 years, I'm in my mid 20s), followed by two gals in their late 30s or early 40s, and the rest well over 50. I'm the only one that shoots manual, film, and rangefinders.

Here's the odd part that I'm trying to understand: all the men incessantly talk gear, while the women spend more time viewing the pictures we bring each month and trying to either pimp their daughters to me or set me up on dates with other women :rolleyes:

My name's jano, and I just added one more vote to the guys :p :D

tedwhite
08-26-2005, 21:04
I teach Introduction to Black and White Film Photography at a nearby college. The first time I taught the course I thought it was merely some sort of statistical anomaly that 12 of the 13 students were female. The second semester all 13 were female. It varies from those numbers but not much. Some see being able to develop and print B&W as a dying, esoteric art. Others are passionate about photography. A few take the course to fulfill an art class requirement, but not many, because the word is out that it's a hard course. The passionate ones tend to fall into two groups: The first see it in terms of a professional career, the second see photography as an art form, a means of expressing themselves, and they don't seem particularly interested in doing it for money, although that would be nice.

Most just want to know about the camera itself sufficiently to make it do what they want it to do (I fall into that category myself). They want to know what to watch out for. Glitches, that sort of thing. BTW. a requirement for the class is a 35mm manually operating camera. If the camera has an AF capability they must set the camera on manual focus, etc.

Only one student, a Hispanic girl who grew up helping her father in his shoe repair shop, said, "Let's take one apart and see how it works." I gave her a Minolta SRT 101. She downloaded all sorts of repair info from the internet , tore the thing apart, and got it working again. I can't recall what the camera's problem was. I do recall being impressed.

Statistically, she seems to be the exception. As for me, I use cameras, I don't really like tinkering with them or trying to fix them. My long time personal favorites are the Pentax SLR screwmount Spotmatic series. I love the lenses and the camera bodies. Since I became intrigued with RF cameras I borrowed an M3 for a time, then a Kiev 4AM, finally bought a Bessa R. The Bessa R looks like a Leica, sort of, and does pretty much what Leicas do, plus they take Leica lenses and they have a very bright viewfineder. So I saved some money on the camera body.

I encourage my students to consider photography as a career, of course with a few caveats, but in terms of gender it's an equal playing field. No muscles required.

Glad to see more women joining the forum.

Ted

09-13-2005, 20:24
I just voted...yup, I'm a gal. And I am a self-confessed gear-head. Big time. I've always been "one of the guys." I wonder why! :D

rover
09-14-2005, 03:18
And part of our growing group of Toronto members.

peter_n
09-14-2005, 15:55
I think we have female members at least into double figures now maybe a dozen or so? :)

dmr
09-14-2005, 16:07
I think we have female members at least into double figures now maybe a dozen or so? :)

... not counting those of us who haven't taken this poll that is. :)

ducttape
10-08-2005, 10:26
Well, I just took the poll. At last, a hobby my wife can't complain about!

Oh, wait, there are still 12 women here...

kingkong666jp
10-29-2005, 09:15
you guys are beating us 3/1 already:)))) This is gonna be fun! Hey, maybe there could be an award to the "loosing" party;)
how about loser buys the winner coffee??? :bang:

ChrisPlatt
10-29-2005, 13:54
In my experience, photography classes have been mostly female, and clubs mostly male.
Draw whatever conclusions you like...

Excelsior, you fatheads!
-Chris-

djon
10-29-2005, 16:50
My mother taught me to develop film in 1951 or 2, when I was 8. I've just been scanning some of the Anscochrome she processed as a girl, at home in 1939. One of her prize winning photos with eucaliptus, a dirt road, and sheep grazing in the hills above the Stanford University campus in Palo Alto is hanging in our living room...beautiful 5X7.

dostacos
10-29-2005, 17:15

My local photo club is about 50:50. I am the youngest in the group (by at least 10 years, I'm in my mid 20s), followed by two gals in their late 30s or early 40s, and the rest well over 50. I'm the only one that shoots manual, film, and rangefinders.

Here's the odd part that I'm trying to understand: all the men incessantly talk gear, while the women spend more time viewing the pictures we bring each month and trying to either pimp their daughters to me or set me up on dates with other women :rolleyes:

ah, what club is this?????? :D

tedwhite
10-29-2005, 18:27
I may have discussed college/university level photography classes before. I taught them as recently as last Spring. Invariably students in these classes today are overwhelmingly female.

However, when I began teaching photography for the first time, at Blackburn College in Southern Illinois, in the seventies, the male/female mix was pretty much even. Also at Cochise College in Arizona in the eighties. I'm not sure why the change from then to now. Perhaps men don't see photography as a fast track to big bucks with some large corporation.

As for me, I prefer the fast track AWAY from large corporations.

Teodoro

jcee
10-29-2005, 18:49
Don't own a RF camera yet, but a soon-to-buy-one gal here. I personally don't know any female RF users, either, but I'm surprised by the extreme poll result.

tedwhite
10-29-2005, 19:04
Well, you could almost say that about men. The ratio of SLR owners to RF owners could be as high as 10 or 20 to 1. In my town of 6500, for example, I have some FSU RF's and two Bessas. Mat Cook has Leicas, and John Charley, the Assistant City Manager (degree in photography) has Contax G1 and G2. John Bocek had an Oly XA, but he moved to Korea.

Higher ratio here, for sure.

elcud35rc
11-10-2005, 03:48
I can't speak for everyone, but here's my way to rangefinders:

I started out with digital Nikon Coolpix 995 (3 years ago), then went through several digital SONY's including V1 that helped me achieve my plantation shot (http://www.pbase.com/natalia/image/18650382)....

then I gave up on digi P&S and got Digital Rebel ... Still wanted more control --> got 20D, which I still enjoy and use it for stock library work.

Then one day I thought "What did my Mom an'em used to shoot in their day? I got me a Canon F-1 and Oly OM-4 (although some here will tell me my Mom an'em would not shoot those:)....they probably shot Smenas, Zenits at the best;)

Anyhow, I found myself in the world of manual focus and funky wind knobs. One thing led to another and now I am into rangefinders:)

........12/1 --- c'mon gals!

Sorry, but I am a guy also.

But I got into rangefinders by accident. I orginally shot with a point and shoot digital camera for several years, but they were low quality and I hated the fact that they were so battery dependent. My brother had a Nikon FM 10, but I did not like the size of it and and it was not pocketable. But I liked the idea that it only used the battery for the meter. My uncle also had a Nikon SLR.

I ran into rangefinders by trying to find cheap film cameras on a BIG auction site. I wanted something with the size of a Point and Shoot, but the flexibilty of a SLR.

Now I enjoy it more than digital point and shoot (it is very pathetic when a 3 year old kid is able can shoot pictures, but very enjoyable when NO ONE understands how to use your rangefinder--"You mean the camera is not autofocus, where is the lcd screen, and I need to change all the settings myself, how do you focus?" There is no dummy mode if you take out the battery.

Then I ran into cameraquest and RFF when I was researching rangefinders on ther internet. I did not realize there was such a big community that focused on mostly out of productions cameras of the seventies.

It was all a blur from then on. Acutally OCTOBER 2005!!

dany_nyc
11-10-2005, 06:29
I'm a gal, just now getting into rangefinder cameras, although my partner has shot exclusively with a Leitz Minolta CL for many years now. She's a great photographer, and doesn't have a bit of GAS. To her, there is nothing better than her CL, so why bother with anything else?

I admit to having a bit of GAS but I keep it on the cheap side. I like getting old cameras from the flea market (price limit $10). As for rangefinders, I've got a Canonet 28 from Greyhoundman and have just bought a Walz Envoy from Mike Kovaks here. So I've got one automatic and one fully manual, and I'm stopping there. Really!

Gabriel M.A.
11-10-2005, 07:13
I'm a gal, just now getting into rangefinder cameras, although my partner has shot exclusively with a Leitz Minolta CL for many years now. She's a great photographer, and doesn't have a bit of GAS. To her, there is nothing better than her CL, so why bother with anything else?

I admit to having a bit of GAS but I keep it on the cheap side. I like getting old cameras from the flea market (price limit $10). As for rangefinders, I've got a Canonet 28 from Greyhoundman and have just bought a Walz Envoy from Mike Kovaks here. So I've got one automatic and one fully manual, and I'm stopping there. Really!

Welcome Dany...he he...can we chant "one of us, one of us, one of us!" ;)

elcud35rc
11-10-2005, 08:22

Where is this club now? :p

Rachel
11-29-2005, 10:39
And then there were 15...

My friend Lynn told me about this forum. I've been lurking for the last couple of days as I anxiously watch for the postman to bring a camera my dad has sent me.

Natalia
11-29-2005, 10:40
Welcome, Rachel!

Fred
11-29-2005, 10:44
Welcome to the forum Rachel, this is a fine place to be, and welcome back Natalia been quiet for a while. Hope things are improving in N'Awlins.

jan normandale
11-30-2005, 08:32
Hi Rachel, Hi Natalia come on in, sit down and have a coffee!

cheers, Jan

Kin Lau
11-30-2005, 12:37
And then there were 15...

My friend Lynn told me about this forum. I've been lurking for the last couple of days as I anxiously watch for the postman to bring a camera my dad has sent me.

Welcome Rachel.. nice photoblog. What camera are you getting from your dad?

Rachel
12-01-2005, 03:57
A Leica M6.

Kim Coxon
12-01-2005, 04:01
Welcome. I wish I had a dad like yours ;)

Kim

A Leica M6.

suzums
12-01-2005, 04:33
Welcome to the forum Rachel! Its good to have another girl on board!

Rachel
12-01-2005, 09:10
I'm pretty much 95% a film camera user - SLR's, polaroids, Lomo - and am really looking forward to getting into Rangefinders. And I'm hoping that I'll learn a lot here.

fgianni
12-01-2005, 09:17
A Leica M6.
What lens(es) are you planning to get for it?

Rachel
12-06-2005, 02:34
What lens(es) are you planning to get for it?

I'm not sure. I know that he sent along two.

On a rather frustrating note: I got a letter today from customs. They're holding the camera, stating that the camera is new and that I need to cough up the invoices. My dad insured the camera for $3000 and I think that has raised some alarm bells. Off to the airport I go, where I'm sure they'll threaten to send it back and I'll be bullied into paying tax. :mad:

smudwhisk
12-06-2005, 15:40
Looks like that makes me number 16! That is if I ever get my hands on a working rangefinder - otherwise back to SLR and MF again! :bang:

Lonius Funk
12-06-2005, 16:04
number 17..

suzums
12-06-2005, 16:11
Welcome to the page, ladies! :)

nomade
12-07-2005, 08:22
* raising my right hand*

Hey i'm a girl...

suzums
12-07-2005, 18:01
* raising my right hand*

Hey i'm a girl...

LOL, and our population increases slowly but surely! :p

losta
12-07-2005, 18:40
Gal here! How many others? 19 F, 266 M as of now.

sychan
01-24-2006, 02:06
...some of the guys will have to become gals.

"Not it!"

smiling gecko
01-24-2006, 18:03
..welcome rachel and other new femme fotogs...rachel, i was introduced to anais nin by a woman i was dating in the '80's and am a huge fan of hers...i am re-reading volume 1 of her diaries now...just found www.anaisnin.com...neat site.

... i recommend her on so many levels for everyone ("adults")...she spoke to themes/ideas/concerns/etc that touch the lives of women and men equally.

...one particular passage has stayed with me over the years and helped me process the "break-up" stage that relationships go through sometimes...forgive my very loose paraphrasing /misquoting here, it dealt with her going through the end of a relationship, here goes : "i would take off the coat of the old love ( like it was an actual garment) and tenderly place it on a hanger and put it away in the closet of my mind"...i imagine alot of us have bittersweet memories like that that we may have "stored away" like that...thanks for indulging me here...

hasta la vista, adieu, dasvidanya,,fino al prossimo tempo, auf wiedersehen, and later yall
kenneth
"some memories are realities and better than anything" willa cather
" doo-wacka doo, wacka doo" roger miller
"we have met the enemy and they is us !" pogo

zanydave
02-23-2006, 11:25
Ladies in here!.... Have you no ironing to do or summit?..

Just kidding, honest!

Welcome to you all.

SteveM_NJ
03-30-2006, 05:36
When first joining this site not that long ago, ratio male/female never entered my mind, but reading and learning from everyone, it became clear to me it wasn't balanced by a long shot.
In my mind I guessed that it might be 100 to 1.
I'm interested to see what it actually is when this poll continues over the long run.
(Ladies - invite more of your friends, I for one always learn from new perspectives)
(always joke - that I can't help but learn, I know so little now)
smile.

Steve.

dmr
03-30-2006, 18:48
(Ladies - invite more of your friends,

Actually, of all of my girlfriends, I'm really the only "photo geek" among us. Those who have cameras either have nondescript P&S ones or worse <meow!> cell phone cameras.

Most of those I know who are at all into serious photography are guys, and most of them seem to kinda look down on me because I'm not so ga-ga over the Latest And Greatest<tm> DSLRs and such. "When are you gonna go digital?"

I do have a friend at work who does shoot a Nikon N-{somethin*** autofocus SLR. I consider that to be a Real Camera. :)

Oh well ... :)

MelanieC
03-30-2006, 20:43
Sorry -- I'm pretty much the only one of my friends, male or female for that matter, who even knows what a "rangefinder" is, not counting the friends I've made because of the cameras themselves.

My other hobbies tend to be solid middle aged mom territory (horseback riding, dogs) so for me the camera geeking is a refreshing change of pace.

tedwhite
03-30-2006, 21:02
I live in a town of 6,000. Maybe - and this is a long shot - six people know what a rangefinder camera is. Three, all young women, former students of mine at the nearby college wherein I taught a course called Art 386 Beginning Black and White Film Photography, know what an rf is as I made each spend a week with one. The fourth, Matt, has a box full of Leicas that he definitely uses. A picture of one he loaned me is in My Photos. There must be two more.

sychan
03-30-2006, 21:53
I know quite a few women who are "into" photography, but mostly they use digital (or even the dreaded cameraphone). Rangefinders are generally for dorky male gearhead types, or older people - digital cameras are convenient, and provide an excellent platform for learning photography as well as generally providing results that are as good as most photographers need. Those who are not happy with the results from digital P&S won't go back to film, they'll go with higher end digital.

I personally know 2 women who shoot film, one is not really a photographer so much as someone who thinks antique cameras are cool (I showed her how to load and shoot a Zeiss 6x6 RF that she brought to a party once), and the other shoots Canon SLR film bodies, but last I heard, is looking to go digital.

I run into the occasional film luddite femme at local camera stores and stuff, but my ex is more typical of female photogs, and if you look at her site ( http://www.patchan.com/pindex.html ) it basically all digital. She's got the Mamiya 6 these days, but the odds of her using that instead of the D2x are pretty slim.

Gabriel M.A.
04-22-2006, 08:50
Rangefinders are generally for dorky male gearhead types, or older people
:eek: I resent that! As soon as I finish my T-Model Ford simulator program I'm writing in Pascal I'll snort back the reasons why that is so sexist! :p

drmatthes
04-22-2006, 16:01
Funny, that brings a nice story to my mind that happened to me last year.

I nearly made my girl-friend throw up by means of my vintage camera gear sickness. While I was screwing in my heavyweight 13.5 cm Sonnar, snapping in the turret finder, adjusting it to focal length, aiming, adjusting distance, measuring exposure, setting f-stop and speed and finally pushing the button, she had taken about 36 exposures with her Nikon D70, and still I was arrogant enough to claim I was using the better gear.

Well, to cut it short, after a while, we split. Then, last December, Nikon gave out this warning about their rechargeable batteries for the D series that might explode, so when I read it on New Years Day I thought I better send her an SMS about that risk, as a warning. I will surely not quote the reply, I would be banned from the forum for using bad language.

That's the problem with the gals, they prefer being blown up by a battery over hanging around on RFF like the good guys do.

tkluck
04-26-2006, 20:54
My wife actualy takes as many photographs as I do but she has no use for my "old crappy cameras" that require stuff like focusing. That and there are very few pictures of cute grandchildren in the galleries.

amateriat
05-02-2006, 19:47
Well, my SO of 9+ years "doesn't know too much about photography", but somehow has owned an Olympus OM2S and Stylus (original) since before we met (and happens to have a pretty good eye). Not into the digital thing (especially since I've got all the groovy digital scanning/printing stuff, and me to handle it all), and not at all a gearhead, although she likes the "feel" of the OM2S. She doesn't do as much shooting as she'd like, though I'm gently coaxing her to do a bit more. I'll have to get a new lens or two for her (but no more than that hell, I only have three myself these days). :)

- Barrett

jrong
05-04-2006, 05:30
This is all rather strange. In the circle of women photographers that I know, most are more heavily into traditional film photography and traditional cameras than the men on this website.....

(although I can say that there isn't that much gear talk)

erikhaugsby
05-15-2006, 16:58
17:1 right now

MelanieC
05-15-2006, 17:00
This is all rather strange. In the circle of women photographers that I know, most are more heavily into traditional film photography and traditional cameras than the men on this website.....

(although I can say that there isn't that much gear talk)

Do they use rangefinders?

jrong
06-22-2006, 13:02
Melanie, a mix. Rangefinders, vintage cameras and other gear. Check us out. ;)

A lot of female photographers are also drawn into the whole toy camera thing.

Jin

ruben
06-23-2006, 13:15
Hi Rachel, Hi Natalia come on in, sit down and have a coffee!

cheers, Jan

I second this kind of call, and perhaps may I warm the milk a bit.

We men live in our jungle, used to the laws of force. I guess women don't like such concentrations for fearing not to stand on an equal footing. This only makes our female RFF members to be regarded by all of us as very special women, which they must be for stepping out and be part of the Forum, which sometimes becomes a real jungle, as Jenni boldly indicated above.

What can we do to have more female members ? I don't know. But I will gladly be satisfied if the already female members stay, find a warm home here, have a special feeling they have an equal footing and cross the quantity barrier by the quality of their presence.

Cheers,
Ruben

PS: Thank you Jan for giving me such a nice lead.

ruben
06-23-2006, 17:37
Just to remark I think I know the reason why we have so few female members. Open the first page of our Forum, any day any hour, like it was your first time. What do you see ? a forum dealing first and foremost with technicalities at a quite sofisticated degree.

Traditionally women have been unjustifiedly forced to the kitchen rather than to the technical jobs. This, among other things, has caused the feminist uprising of the seventies, still very much alive, which in its turn has started to make a change.

If we were a forum 'first and foremost' dealing with aesthetics and art of photography, I think we would have a bigger female membership. Go to any university on the globe and you will find more women attending Fine Arts than men. Here we meet the call of Shutterflower on behalf of a 'more balanced forum', which in my opinion does reflect a wider wish, within all of us at different degrees.

Are we to ban technical threads ? Of course not. But we can give more audience and echo to non-technical issues of photography, including art. And at the same time when dealing with technical issues we can try, without lowering the level, to make the issues more accesible to non-high technical people, including non-tech women, for the benefit of all of us. Among us the males, I find postings quite hard to follow. It is not about lowering the technical level, but about being able to express ourselves in more a simple language. Are we man enough to stand the challenge ?

Cheers,
Ruben

MelanieC
06-23-2006, 18:24
Hey, I like gear and I have no problem following the technical discussions. If there's something I'm not familiar with, I'm perfectly capable of understanding the explanations given.

As for the tenor of discussions here, I find this place pretty tame, but then again I used to spend a lot of time on Usenet. If you can handle Usenet I think you can handle pretty much anything. And a number of the Usenet fora I used to read a lot were either at least half, or even mostly, female. Trust me, women can sling it just as well as men can.

I think there are few women here because there are probably fewer women using rangefinders, period, much less classic cameras in general. I have no numbers to back this up, but I have enough observational data that I'd be willing to bet some money on it.

I hope this doesn't sound like a dig at you, Ruben. It isn't. I appreciate the thought you've put into this and your desire to attract a more diverse audience to RFF. You're a good guy.

Macpod
06-24-2006, 00:49
im sure someone has mentioned it in some way or another.

theres are ALOT of female photogs out there, just look at flickr. But most women photogs are just happy taking pretty photos with what they have, and when they goto a shop, people arnt gonna be pushing leicas at them. girls just dont have an obsession with mechanical equipment(they have shoes and handbags).

another good poll would be age. i have a feeling rangefinders tend to appeal to the mature sorts.

jcee
06-24-2006, 20:58
im sure someone has mentioned it in some way or another.

theres are ALOT of female photogs out there, just look at flickr. But most women photogs are just happy taking pretty photos with what they have, and when they goto a shop, people arnt gonna be pushing leicas at them. girls just dont have an obsession with mechanical equipment(they have shoes and handbags).

another good poll would be age. i have a feeling rangefinders tend to appeal to the mature sorts.

I have an obsession with both. :o Computers and cameras, as well as shoes and handbags. I also have an obsession with chocolate and balancing my checkbook. People are obsessed with many things at once.

I don't think women photogs just want to take pretty photos. At least the ones I know, including myself, appreciate the art of photography and take photos because we enjoy the process, not just to make a photo to hang by the dining table.

I think in general, you won't see as many women on online forums as you would see men. I happen to participate in many forums, and women are always the minority. Women just might have better things to do than to write and read on some online board... but I don't. That's why I'm here. :)

Rich Silfver
06-26-2006, 12:59
Hmm....

Just to remark I think I know the reason why we have so few female members. Open the first page of our Forum, any day any hour, like it was your first time. What do you see ? a forum dealing first and foremost with technicalities at a quite sofisticated degree.

That could be taken as being quite an insult Ruben - and honestly, the rest of your post contains quite a bit of generalizations as well.

ruben
06-28-2006, 04:11
RFF WOMEN - SPEAK OUT

At this point and without any relation to any specific posting, I would like to specifically invite all of our not countless women to express their opinion about whatever they want to, and specially concerning how could the RFF increase more women enrolling at the forum, and more women active posting from those already with us all.

We want you and we need you to enrich the forum !

Ruben

mae
07-02-2006, 10:47
I'm a lady, but I only lurk here. I've noticed the same though, seems to be more male photographers in general. I'm not sure why.

back alley
07-02-2006, 12:04
perhaps it's a question that will forever go unanswered...

welcome mae and please feel free to do more than lurk!

joe

Jocko
07-02-2006, 12:31
I'm a lady, but I only lurk here. I've noticed the same though, seems to be more male photographers in general. I'm not sure why.

Welcome Mae - and remember the great words of Chairman Mao - a journey of 10,000 cameras starts with a single post!

All the best, Ian!

Natalia
07-02-2006, 13:58
Welcome, Mae! Good to see another gal here......(Although I should visit RFF more frequently myself:) .....

Kim Coxon
07-02-2006, 14:54
Hey Natalia,
Too right! We haven't heard from you in a while. How are doing?

KimAlthough I should visit RFF more frequently myself: .....

nomade
07-02-2006, 15:14

Hey, i'm from he same gender :D

Welcome to the forums, i think that girls will be invading these forums sooner or later ;)

mae
07-03-2006, 00:20
Thanks everyone for the welcome.

Wow, I can’t believe that there are only 6% of us.

I have a feeling that the reason there are more male rangefinder users is because rangefinders are a classic camera that was popular at a time when inequality was more predominant. This is why younger people are not drawn to rangefinders like the older crowd. Since women may have been discouraged from taking an interest in photography back in the day, there are naturally more older men interested in rangefinder photography. This is just a guess, but I bet that in general there are less young people on this forum and of the few that are here the ratio between male and females is about equal which is very much in contrast to the older generation. This is all just speculation so if I offended anyone I apologize in advance.

I’m a bit of a gearhead myself, which is a little strange because I’m not a “techie” person in any other area of my life.

Rachel
07-03-2006, 00:47
I have a feeling that the reason there are more male rangefinder users is because rangefinders are a classic camera that was popular at a time when inequality was more predominant. This is why younger people are not drawn to rangefinders like the older crowd. Since women may have been discouraged from taking an interest in photography back in the day, there are naturally more older men interested in rangefinder photography. This is just a guess, but I bet that in general there are less young people on this forum and of the few that are here the ratio between male and females is about equal which is very much in contrast to the older generation. This is all just speculation so if I offended anyone I apologize in advance.

I think it may also be that young women like me (well, not so young, I'm almost 30) have the preconceived idea that Rangefinder=Leica=$$$$. If it weren't for the fact that my dad gave me his Leica, I'd would have settled for the fact that I'd never be able to afford a rangefinder. When my friend Lynn (http://www.two-muses.com) showed me her Yashica and told me about this forum, it was then that I saw the proverbial "light" and realized that rangefinders come in a whole range of attractive price tags.

Everytime I see a Canonet GIII QL17 on e-Bay, I have to restrain myself.

jrong
07-03-2006, 01:47
I worked as an engineer in a telco for some years. I have a masters in electrical engineering, and yet after many a technical seminar, there would be men who would come up to me and ask me if the lecture was "too technical" for me. If I asked a question, it would be misinterpreted to mean something extremely basic (and quite stupid).

This behaviour was manifest in all sorts; from engineering colleagues, technicians to salesmen (although I can't imagine why they'd expect me to endorse their product to my boss after having been heavily patronised...)

Nevertheless, women who are minorities in any profession or field will tend to resent it when men suggest that something might be "too technical" for them, although I truly appreciate your good intentions, Ruben, and have not taken offense. :) However, there are other off-hand remarks such as "women mostly want to take pretty pictures" or even the question "are you MAN enough to admit that you carry a man purse, etc.etc" which insinuate something inferior, weak or negative about the female gender, however subtly (esp in that last example). It's everywhere in our society so most people do not notice it, and it is unfortunate that when one points it out, one is often accused of being a militant feminist. It's not that we lack a sense of humour either. ;)

In my personal experience, there are quite a few women who are into photography (all aspects) but a great many of them just do not enjoy participating in web fora. I do not know the reasons for this. I suspect they vary too much for a simple generalisation to be made?

ruben
07-03-2006, 02:18
Thanks everyone for the welcome.

Wow, I cant believe that there are only 6% of us.

Im a bit of a gearhead myself, which is a little strange because Im not a techie person in any other area of my life.

I truly find your point as quite original and interesting. You already have given us something good at your third post !

Cheers,
Ruben

ruben
07-03-2006, 02:28
.... :) However, there are other off-hand remarks such as "women mostly want to take pretty pictures" or even the question "are you MAN enough to admit that you carry a man purse, etc.etc" which insinuate something inferior, weak or negative about the female gender, however subtly (esp in that last example). It's everywhere in our society so most people do not notice it, and it is unfortunate that when one points it out, one is often accused of being a militant feminist. It's not that we lack a sense of humour either. ;)....

As a militant feminist from the fifth column at the male sex, I can only ask you not to bow to any single discriminatory posting.

We males, including me!, are so immersed in our millenarium sex traditions, and so used to the privileges of our twisted status, that most of the times we are not quite aware of our mistaken behaviours. There is no room at RFF for any member to be hurt, nor any female member being hurt directly or undirectly for being a woman. This is for me absolute, unconditional, out of discussion.

Don't bow Jrong a single inch. As a male I know too, most of us are more than ready to redress our jungle inherited behaviour, when properly addressed.

Don't bow Jrong, have confidence in our good sides with which we will overcome our bad ones.

Cheers,
Ruben

Leica-Virgin
07-03-2006, 02:52
We must on no account let the female Ents leave the forest. Let us learn the lessons of our prehistory . We ignore the loss of the female Ents at our peril.No entlings and a loss of vitality in the forest.

Leica-Virgin
07-03-2006, 06:20
We must on no account let the female Ents leave the forest. Let us learn the lessons of our prehistory . We ignore the loss of the female Ents at our peril.No entlings and a loss of vitality in the forest.
To expand on this if I am being abit obscure:
The ents are found in the novel Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkien , an ancient form of very intelligent tree which lived in the ancient forest of Fangorn. The female of their species left the forest to be lost forever and the male ents became very woody and set in their ways. They became very sad and slow to respond to change as a result of their loss.

mae
07-03-2006, 12:46
I think it may also be that young women like me (well, not so young, I'm almost 30) have the preconceived idea that Rangefinder=Leica=$$$$. If it weren't for the fact that my dad gave me his Leica, I'd would have settled for the fact that I'd never be able to afford a rangefinder. When my friend Lynn (http://www.two-muses.com) showed me her Yashica and told me about this forum, it was then that I saw the proverbial "light" and realized that rangefinders come in a whole range of attractive price tags.

Everytime I see a Canonet GIII QL17 on e-Bay, I have to restrain myself.

yes, I think preconceived ideas about cost may also be a factor but I'm not sure if expense is something that women in general are more sensitive than men.

that said, I have a canonet QL19 and love it! and I can't help being jealous that you inherited a leica, man was I born into the wrong family;)

ps. 29,30 is still young in my book

akalai
07-03-2006, 13:05
Hey Rachel,

I stumbled across your website in some random Google search awhile ago but then, annoyingly, forgot the name of your site!!! Agggghhhhh! :)

Thankfully I have found it again. Brilliant photos, brilliant design and plenty of goodness in the archives/links!!!

http://www.brownglasses.com

LOVE IT!

Cheers!

Rachel
07-04-2006, 00:43
Hey Rachel,

I stumbled across your website in some random Google search awhile ago but then, annoyingly, forgot the name of your site!!! Agggghhhhh! :)

Thankfully I have found it again. Brilliant photos, brilliant design and plenty of goodness in the archives/links!!!

http://www.brownglasses.com

LOVE IT!

Cheers!

Cool. Thanks. :-)

suzums
07-04-2006, 00:49

Welcome to the forum Mae :) I spend most of my time lurking around here too! LOL too many guy intimidate me!

rover
07-04-2006, 07:07
OK, lets let this all pass. Deep breath, I just did my Pilates so I am in tune with my person. Lets all feel good today..... breath in.....breath out.....

Welcome Mea.

back alley
07-04-2006, 08:42
good morning all!

beautiful day here in sunny alberta, gonna climb to about 30c today.

the ice is starting to melt and the dogs are restless.

peace out.
joe

aad
07-04-2006, 10:18
After all the buildup, nothing. The Mod Squad must have got here first.

Rich Silfver
07-04-2006, 10:20
After all the buildup, nothing. The Mod Squad must have got here first.

Nope, as far as I know this was all there ever was.

MelanieC
07-04-2006, 10:37
Hey, what did I do to get deleted? My post was entirely inoffensive.

ruben
07-04-2006, 10:40
BEAUTIFUL !

Then my friends Jenni and Rich, since nothing important and bussiness as usual, I propose to both of you to delete by your own will the postings from #226 until 233 .

Bussiness as usual no ? Then kindly consider my proposal, and I will delete this posting too.

Cheers to both of your four having re-discovered each other !

Ruben

FrankS
07-04-2006, 10:40
It's an insensitive male conspiracy, I tell ya, Melanie! :)

MelanieC
07-04-2006, 10:43
Oops, I got confused. Excuse me while I wander over to the other thread.

FrankS
07-04-2006, 10:47
"gender" would be the more politically correct term, Rich. ;)

back alley
07-04-2006, 10:48
ruben, perhaps you should just let things be.

rich and jenni, do you see a need for any moderation on my part here?
i don't.
joe

ruben
07-04-2006, 10:51
We agree on something. Group hug :)

On a more serious note - I may not agree with Jenni on a lot of topics ($3 million thread, etc) BUT I will always respect her opinions - regardless of her sex.

Hi Rich,
You have no idea how much I do appreciate the abovequoted posting. It fits a true gentleman.

Would you like to take the initiative to delete your postings between #226 until 233, so that Jenni will follow suit ?

Sincerely,
Ruben

back alley
07-04-2006, 10:53
ruben, there is no need to delete anything.
you have made a mountain out of a mole hill...

Rich Silfver
07-04-2006, 10:56
"gender" would be the more politically correct term, Rich. ;)

Thanks. Not being a native English speaker I sometimes do find myself in situations where I pick words and expressions that are just a little bit 'off' from what I aimed for.

Is the use of 'sex' in that sentence completely inaccurate?

ruben
07-04-2006, 10:58
ruben, there is no need to delete anything.
you have made a mountain out of a mole hill...

Perhaps you are right in that there is no NEED to delete. But upon the ongoing row of reconciliation between Rich and Jenni, perhaps there is a mutual WILL to, on behalf of the thread.

Rich Silfver
07-04-2006, 10:59
ruben, perhaps you should just let things be.

rich and jenni, do you see a need for any moderation on my part here?
i don't.
joe

Not unless you could make a great cup of coffee :)

RayPA
07-04-2006, 11:00
Thanks. Not being a native English speaker I sometimes do find myself in situations where I pick words and expressions that are just a little bit 'off' from what I aimed for.

Is the use of 'sex' in that sentence completely inaccurate?

no. it is acceptable. maybe a little "clinical," but within the context, it was fine.

:)

Rich Silfver
07-04-2006, 11:04
Perhaps you are right in that there is no NEED to delete. But upon the ongoing row of reconciliation between Rich and Jenni, perhaps there is a mutual WILL to, on behalf of the thread.

Nope :)

RayPA
07-04-2006, 11:05

if you're going to delete posts, you may want to go all the way back to #197. My reading of this thread shows the source of discord stemming from the generalization made there.

FrankS
07-04-2006, 11:18
Don'cha just love a gal with a good sense of humour! :)

FrankS
07-04-2006, 11:21
"wee Scotish bimbo"!

Jee, my signature is jsut much too serious! I'm going to have to come up with something better.

MelanieC
07-04-2006, 11:49
I find use of the word "bimbo" to be offensive and demand that it be deleted! ;)

Diggin99
07-04-2006, 12:05
Hey folks!

Another women here! First real quick...don't see what all the hubub is about...I saw several of the posts in question...did not see anthing that should be a problem. I don't agree with all the things that have been said but , as my mother would say...thats why there is chocolate, vanilla and strawberry! So to move on...

I found RFF because of a recent interest in exploring street photography (which seems to requently be done with RF cameras). I saw the luminous landscape website video interview with John Brownlow about Street Photography. Then I started web surfing and found Rich S's web site (Batteries Not Included: loved the site btw). From there I found RFF. Simple heh?

Now I am waiting for a Bessa L and lens through the mail...not a RF I realize but I am looking forward to getting back into B&W stuff...Yep..Been doing digital a while but started with a Canon AE-1 SLR (still a great camera IMHO)...

thats about it!

See you on the forum!
Nancy :cool:

MelanieC
07-04-2006, 12:08
Hey Nancy -- whereabouts in VA are you? I'm from Burke (NoVA, 30 min outside of DC).

Rich Silfver
07-04-2006, 12:12
Then I started web surfing and found Rich S's web site (Batteries Not Included: loved the site btw). From there I found RFF. Simple heh?

I knew I was gonna be famous some day mama!!

Welcome to RFF Nancy :)

Diggin99
07-04-2006, 12:34
Hey Nancy -- whereabouts in VA are you? I'm from Burke (NoVA, 30 min outside of DC).
Well I am near Williamsburg...not exactly next door!

Nancy :)

ruben
07-04-2006, 13:02
Welcome Nancy, what nice a tone you are bringing ! The flowers of my mind are blossoming again.

There is no string correlation between the camera you have and the forum. The hubhub is about bringing new women and you have just gave it what we all want.

More about the hubhub, by current statistics and some interpretation, each new woman member is like 270 new males.

Cheers,
Ruben (male despite the avatar)

PS: By chance don't you have more of your kind around to interest them in the forum ?

Diggin99
07-04-2006, 13:32
PS: By chance don't you have more of your kind around to interest them in the forum ?

Mmmm...no fraid not...do multiple personalities count? ;)

ruben
07-04-2006, 14:36

Yes, provided each personality has a different camera.

:angel:

Cheers,
Ruben

bcs89
07-04-2006, 15:55

Welcome Nancy! It appears you (all) will fit right in. :p

Uncle Bill
07-04-2006, 16:55
Welcome Nancy!

Bill

Socke
07-04-2006, 17:03
Hm, since I can't see any offence in the posts I better stop posting here before I annoy Ruben.

Sorry Ruben, but I'm not up to your expectations.

ruben
07-04-2006, 17:44
Hm, since I can't see any offence in the posts I better stop posting here before I annoy Ruben.

Sorry Ruben, but I'm not up to your expectations.

On the contrary my friend Socke, feel free to "annoy" me as much as you want, expressing your views in the most detailed and friendly way you can. Stirring variety of opinions, i.e. discussion, if carried within a frame of friendship and respect, is the best way to get deeper understanding and benefiting from a thread.

I am no owner of the thread, nor anything of the like, the thread was initiated by Natalia, and my standing here is no better than yours. But a fine thread like this one, turning personal and negative, is an effective way to finnish it, being or not that the intention of the involved characters. When a thread turns personal hostyle, this produces shutting the mouths of both members, guests, and guest who may turn into new members - as no one wants to enter such a mess. It was upon this situation that I started to ring the bells.

Fortunately a fine new female member, Nancy, emerged despite the abovementioned and stating :

"did not see anthing that should be a problem. I don't agree with all the things that have been said but , as my mother would say...thats why there is chocolate, vanilla and strawberry! So to move on..."

My friend Socke, you don't have to fill my expectations, but yours', and despite mine or anybody else. I always have held you as person devoid of any intention of annoying, hurting, or collecting past debts.

In my humble opinion, it was Nancy with her mature character, that has saved the thread, inputing new blood. Therefore my friend Socke, doors open more than ever.

Cheers,
Ruben

Diggin99
07-04-2006, 19:22
Wow...are my cheeks red! Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I have been thinking about this whole guy/girl thing and I feel that, while certainly many factors are involved, one thing is that the younger generation (guy or girl) today has no real "conventional" way to get introduced to range finder cameras...I think many have no idea what they are! Low cost RF are available but the majority of the general public may have no idea that something like the Bessa line is out there! There are a lot of really terrific older RF cameras, obviously, but again, the general public may not find that appealing! How great would it be if there was a more cost affective, entry level model of a digital RF?

I myself spend time on forums simply because I am so tired after the work week that I don't go out with my various cameras nearly as much as I would like...so I spend my after work down time on the net doing something relaxing that I enjoy...reading about classic cameras, reading up on technique, and looking at the large number of really cool galleries out there!

And my favorite part of the rff is the fact that there are people here from all over the world...the variety of perspectives here is very cool!

Nancy :o

dmr
07-05-2006, 07:04
Welcome Mae and Nancy! :)

Wow, we're almost up to 6%! We're gaining on 'em! :)

How great would it be if there was a more cost affective, entry level model of a digital RF?

I've wondered about this too. The thing is, today's digicam users are now so trained to expect auto focus that a true rangefinder really would not be welcomed. "You mean you have to focus this thing?" :)

I'm still holding my breath waiting for some company to actually market a drop-in digital film replacement that will work in any camera. :)

And my favorite part of the rff is the fact that there are people here from all over the world...the variety of perspectives here is very cool!

That is one thing that makes this forum unique and special. In cyberspace we're all next-door neighbors so to speak. :)