PDA

View Full Version : another new project idea!!

back alley
07-26-2006, 14:52
call me crazy but i like this idea...

maybe you are aware of a site called 50 milimeter, 2 guys who post pics, i think using a 50mm lens each, might be weekly iirc.

i'm thinking of a spin off of that for here at rff.

we pair up with another member, we use the same lens (if possible) or the same focal length - so 21 each or 28 or 35...you get the idea.

we post one pic per week.

those are the only details i have in my head so far.

what do you think and how do you suggest we do it, ya know - if yer interested?

joe

Todd.Hanz
07-26-2006, 14:55
Sounds like a unique and possible idea, do you have a link to the 50mm site?

Todd

venchka
07-26-2006, 14:58
OK, who do I pair up with? I'll be photographing in east Texas from Houston to north of Tyler. Might be interesting to team with somone from a totally different enviornment or someone in my neck of the woods.

Maybe we could team with someone who had the exact same lens. Maybe even the same or similar body. Might as well go for the same film too. I can't promise to have results each week, but I promise to EXPOSE the image in the appropriate week.

If we are going to use 50mm lenses, I have a pair that need serious exploration. 28, 35, 75, 90 & 135 also available. They need using too.

Put me in coach!:D

venchka
07-26-2006, 15:00
Hmmmmmmm...Todd, you and I posted at almost the same time. We are in the same neck of the woods. I know you own a Leica body. Would you consider teaming up to see what happens?

back alley
07-26-2006, 15:00
Sounds like a unique and possible idea, do you have a link to the 50mm site?

Todd

link (http://www.fiftymillimeter.com/index.php)

it's still there but it looks closed...maybe they ended the project.

Fred
07-26-2006, 15:01
An interesting idea Joe, It could push bods like me to take more photos, I've been a tad lax lately unfortunately due to personal events. The idea sounds good.

My available FLs are 15, 21, 28, 35, 50, 75 and 90 (not all the same mount though). I'll have to short load from the bulk loader rfor 12 ro 24s to get the postings though as I don't have RF pixels (yet)?.

back alley
07-26-2006, 15:03
at this point i'm just looking for feedback on the idea.

people can always pair up on their own till the details get worked out.

i'm more of an idea man and would love for a detail person to step up and work out the, er, details:)

joe

f/stopblues
07-26-2006, 15:06
Sounds fun! Maybe a theme each week that applies to all focal lengths? That way we could see the same theme expressed in all different focal lengths, and each FL by two photogs.

Fred
07-26-2006, 15:07
Recon we need an idea of the 'effective' focal length in 35mm trerms (for RD-1 people) who are interested. My bottles are listed there earlier. I need to get out more anyway.

Rafael
07-26-2006, 15:10
I like the idea Joe. I think it would be very instructive to see how different rff members make use of the same lens. And as has already been mentioned, the project would push all of us to get out and shoot some film. But maybe I'm missing something :confused: . What is the purpose of pairing up?

rover
07-26-2006, 15:22
I like the idea Joe. I think it would be very instructive to see how different rff members make use of the same lens. And as has already been mentioned, the project would push all of us to get out and shoot some film. But maybe I'm missing something :confused: . What is the purpose of pairing up?

I like the idea, but yeah, why the team? Not that I don't like it......just don't understand.

I think posting photos each week may be hard for me, maybe every other week?

I would say to do it for 10 weeks, or some even number. Let the team choose the focal length and theme each for each period. If 10 weeks then at the end you will have 5 themes in 5 focal lengths. Each team starts a thread identified by their team name and posts there photos there for comment. Maybe 3 photos each with a little background text if they like, about.... whatever.... Everyone else can comment on their project and photos.

DougK
07-26-2006, 15:24
Recon we need an idea of the 'effective' focal length in 35mm trerms (for RD-1 people) who are interested. My bottles are listed there earlier. I need to get out more anyway.
Sean Reid has a list of those on his website. It's a pay site so I don't feel right about copying and pasting the table of equivalences he created. Perhaps he would be kind enough to post that table here. If he doesn't, just ask me and I'll go there myself to look it up.

Todd.Hanz
07-26-2006, 15:38
Hmmmmmmm...Todd, you and I posted at almost the same time. We are in the same neck of the woods. I know you own a Leica body. Would you consider teaming up to see what happens?

Sounds good venchka, I have focal lengths of 15, 28, 35, 50, 75. It might also be a good chance to try a lense out you've been wanting to see if you like it.

Todd

back alley
07-26-2006, 15:45
the team/pair approach is 2 fold, a little extra incentive to take/post the pics, knowing your partner is out there and shooting.

and to see how different people approach using the chosen focal length.

themes to me are not necessary as the goal is more comparing different uses of same fl (or styles) and adding another factor just makes it more complicated.

venchka
07-26-2006, 16:02
Sounds good venchka, I have focal lengths of 15, 28, 35, 50, 75. It might also be a good chance to try a lense out you've been wanting to see if you like it.

Todd

Hi Todd! 35, 50 or 75 your choice. As for the last part about trying out a lens I've been wanting, you are a very bad person!:D You'll give me GAS! I took the Cure and I'll never have GAS again! I swear!:angel:

Any film is good?

venchka
07-26-2006, 16:21
What do y'all think about this wrinkle in the plan: each member of the team submits 3 images to the other member for final selection to be presented to the public? Good? Bad? Ugly?

back alley
07-26-2006, 16:24
the simpler the better

nico
07-26-2006, 16:28
Joe,
I'm in playing with my 50mm ...
Bye
Nico

venchka
07-26-2006, 17:18
the simpler the better

Is that an "I don't think so" to my idea of letting the other half pick the images?

If so, no worries. I never said it was a good idea. ;)

dcsang
07-26-2006, 17:23

You so CRAZY Joe !!

:D

Me, you, 21mm .. GO!

Dave

back alley
07-26-2006, 17:26
You so CRAZY Joe !!

:D

Me, you, 21mm .. GO!

Dave

i'm not nixing any ideas just looking for them.

my immediate reaction is almost always keep it simple.

dave, i was actually thinking about the 21 for this.

joe

Todd.Hanz
07-26-2006, 20:11
Venchka,
Let's shoot 35mm, if possible we should shoot the same film, I am partial to Fuji Acros, Ilford Pan F or Tri-x...what's good for you? (we could also shoot a c41 like Ilford XP-2, that way developing would be the similar)

PS, If 35 isn't good for you I'll shoot either of the others.

Todd

dcsang
07-26-2006, 20:21
i'm not nixing any ideas just looking for them.

my immediate reaction is almost always keep it simple.

dave, i was actually thinking about the 21 for this.

joe

So we're set then.. I've got the exact same 21mm that you do.. 10 paces.. and then we draw !!! ;)

I'm easy going when it comes to this stuff.. there's a ton of things that can be done so instead of saying "why?" we should say "why not!!" :)

Dave

rbiemer
07-26-2006, 20:24
Geez, joe, I'm still looking for the new avatar photo and now you have another good crazy idea! One more reason to put some film through my cameras. I like it.

I do like venchka's idea as well--it should get some more discussion going between the "partners". I can see two people playing off of each other's ideas. Or playing against. And the "team" each get an editor.

I would also rather try Rovers schedule idea. Sort of; picture a week but the two people post in turns. Each posts every two weeks but they alternate. Which would give time for vencka's idea to work.
Just my two cents.
Rob

venchka
07-27-2006, 12:36
Venchka,
Let's shoot 35mm, if possible we should shoot the same film, I am partial to Fuji Acros, Ilford Pan F or Tri-x...what's good for you? (we could also shoot a c41 like Ilford XP-2, that way developing would be the similar)

PS, If 35 isn't good for you I'll shoot either of the others.

Todd

Todd,

35mm it is! Rangefinder equipment only, or is any 35mm lens acceptable? :eek: Only kidding.

I have a roll of Kodak BW400CN in the camera now. I don't mind putting XP-2 in next. After I see both, I may choose one over the other. How about B&W, emusion of choice? In my case, I'm limited to C-41 processing and lab scanning for the time being.

I can't promise to finish & process a roll a week, but I will take good notes as to the dates when pictures were taken. Submission as soon thereafter as possible. Fair?

Start date? I'm in Houston this weekend if you want to get together for an official start of this project.

I just visited your gallery. I will make your work look very good!

35mm lens and B&W film. I'm ready.

Cheers!

sbug
07-27-2006, 12:46
I would be in on this. I have a 35, 50 and 105. Anyone else?

venchka
07-27-2006, 13:00
Joe,

Will you open a new thread for our pictures or add them to this one?

venchka
07-27-2006, 13:04
... Each posts every two weeks but they alternate. Which would give time for vencka's idea to work.
Just my two cents.
Rob

I hadn't thought of that. It gives me time to get film through my brain, through the camera, through the processors and through my partner. It wouldn't have to apply to everyone. As long as somebody posts a picture every week.

Works for me.

Stephanie Brim
08-03-2006, 21:25
The nifty thing is that someone with web space (you all know who you are (other than me, of course)) could set up something like Wordpress and allow people to create accounts.

This is a good idea to keep people taking photographs. I have a 50 and a 35. Who wants to go? :D

ferider
08-03-2006, 22:38

Scott,

how about you with your 105 and me with my 85 ? Will motivate me to use it. I saw some nice landscapes in your gallery ...

Cheers,

Roland.

Pherdinand
08-04-2006, 02:31
I found myself never using my 85/2 Sonnar (copy...it's actually a jupiter-9).
Anyone else with a 85 interested in joining me?:)

Or, how about a 75mm lens...on 6x6?

kully
08-04-2006, 02:43
I have gigabytes of webspace. I've created an album here: LINKY (http://superkully.com/gallery2/v/RFF_0706/)

If anyone wants to make use of it...

I'll be interested in exercising the J-9 or CV-21/4, the first may or may not be ok and the second I need to use for a purpose instead of it being a 'lazy lens'.

sbug
08-04-2006, 15:31
Scott,

how about you with your 105 and me with my 85 ? Will motivate me to use it. I saw some nice landscapes in your gallery ...

Cheers,

Roland.

Yep, sounds good to me.

Are there guidelines as to what to take photos of? Should both team members focus on the same general subject type?

I like the idea of having the other team member pick their favorite 3 of your own. Maybe that could be done in combination with the 3 of your own that are your favorites or maybe the team could simply collaborate on the 3 from each that they like the most. Who knows. I think my insane work week has fried my brain. ;)

Either way, it sounds like a fun project.

venchka
08-05-2006, 19:09

maybe you are aware of a site called 50 milimeter, 2 guys who post pics, i think using a 50mm lens each, might be weekly iirc.

i'm thinking of a spin off of that for here at rff.

we pair up with another member, we use the same lens (if possible) or the same focal length - so 21 each or 28 or 35...you get the idea.

we post one pic per week.

those are the only details i have in my head so far.

what do you think and how do you suggest we do it, ya know - if yer interested?

joe

I thought it best to restate Joe's original idea. Bring everyone up to speed. On the same page. You know the drill. That is all the cliched catch phrases I could muster at the moment.

I offered the variation of letting each member of the team select from 3 photos taken by the other member. That is in line with Joe's, "one pic per week" posting. The other variation on the one pic per week idea was each member post a pic in alternating weeks. That idea certainly suits my schedule a lot better.

Todd and I have teamed up and our plan is simple: One focal length (35mm in our case) and B&W film. That's all folks! Anyone else is free to choose their own plan. YMMV. ;) As I can't always get a roll of film through the camera and processed weekely, I promised to take good notes and submit a picture (or 3 for Todd to choose if he buys that idea) taken in any particular week. I finished my first roll today for the past two weeks. Processing tomorrow. Posting soon.

Thanks for the offer of the web gallery! That is a great idea.

I'm feeling all alone in this. Start shooting everyone!

back alley
08-05-2006, 19:49
ok, dave are we on for the cv 21's?

joe

peterc
08-05-2006, 20:19
Sounds like a fun project.

Peter

Gabriel M.A.
08-08-2006, 16:19
Heh. I have lots of 50s. I'm game. Still scanning (and waiting for my 5000)... it'll all be smooth sailing soon...

Gabriel M.A.
08-08-2006, 16:22
OK, looks like he's already paired-up for 105.

Anybody for 50mm on 35mm format?

Gabriel M.A.
08-08-2006, 16:24
I found myself never using my 85/2 Sonnar (copy...it's actually a jupiter-9).
Anyone else with a 85 interested in joining me?:)

Ooooh. I have a real 85/2 Sonnar for Contax RF and a Canon 85/2 in LTM. I am, however, waiting for my Contax-to-M adapter... :D

Whaddayasay? I wouldn't mind a pair-up for 85mm and another for 50mm... (for 35mm film)

venchka
08-09-2006, 05:40
I seem to be the first guinea pig. :D

I posted my first offerings in this project here:

Tood & Wayne & 35mm lens (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26443)

Enjoy!

back alley
08-09-2006, 06:32
i'm waiting to hear from dave...

sbug
08-09-2006, 06:40
OK, looks like he's already paired-up for 105.

Anybody for 50mm on 35mm format?

I'd be up for a second pairing at 50mm focal length if you don't get another suitor. ;) Let me know.

ferider
08-09-2006, 07:30
Joe,

Scott and me are good to go, using both short Nikkor teles. Does it make sense to open a special gallerie,
forum or thread for this ?

Thanks,

Roland.

Gabriel M.A.
08-09-2006, 08:07
I'd be up for a second pairing at 50mm focal length if you don't get another suitor. ;) Let me know.
Why, of course!

So, how does it really work? We set one lens with another lens, or just one focal length?

I thought the idea was to pair off different lenses of the same focal length, and to be consistent with that one lens. Did I get it right? Or left?

sbug
08-09-2006, 08:39
OK, so I am paired up with Roland (Nikkor 85 and Nikkor 105) and Gabriel (Nikkor 50 and ? 50).

I think the plan was to shoot with equal or nearly equal focal lengths and compare how each other uses it, what we shoot, how we compose, etc. Pretty loose guidelines really but each pairing could adjust to their liking I suppose.

As a side note, if you want to see some of what i've shot with my Nikkor lenses, go to my flickr page and search Nikon and 35, 50 or 105 tags and you'll have several examples. For instance:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbugphoto/tags/105/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbugphoto/tags/50/

Gabriel M.A.
08-09-2006, 08:46
OK, so I am paired up with Roland (Nikkor 85 and Nikkor 105) and Gabriel (Nikkor 50 and ? 50).

I think the plan was to shoot with equal or nearly equal focal lengths and compare how each other uses it, what we shoot, how we compose, etc
OK. Now, I'm pretty undecided (I think you've seen me go through this).

Help me choose (or at least a set of two or three):
Summar f/2 | Summitar f/2 | Summarit f/1.5 | Summicron (tabbed) f/2 | Canon f/1.5 | Canon f/1.2 | Summilux (pre-asph) f/1.4 | Zeiss Sonnar f/1.5 | Zeiss Sonnar f/2 | Helios 103 f/1.8 | Jupiter-9 f/1.5

I would boil it down to the Summilux, the Summarit, and the Sonnar f/1.5 (which would be up to par to your Nikkor 50 f/1.4) -- ideas?

sbug
08-09-2006, 09:03
OK. Now, I'm pretty undecided (I think you've seen me go through this).

Help me choose (or at least a set of two or three):
Summar f/2 | Summitar f/2 | Summarit f/1.5 | Summicron (tabbed) f/2 | Canon f/1.5 | Canon f/1.2 | Summilux (pre-asph) f/1.4 | Zeiss Sonnar f/1.5 | Zeiss Sonnar f/2 | Helios 103 f/1.8 | Jupiter-9 f/1.5

I would boil it down to the Summilux, the Summarit, and the Sonnar f/1.5 (which would be up to par to your Nikkor 50 f/1.4) -- ideas?

Hmm... I know jack squat abut Leica glass. Summilux, Summicron, Summasummasumma... I'd say the Zeiss Sonnar 1.5 would probably have similar characteristics to the Nikkor f1.4.

ferider
08-09-2006, 09:04
Hi Gabriel,

how about a triangle: Scott and me on short tele, you and Scott on 50, and you and me on 35 ?

Just a crazy idea ...

Roland.

back alley
08-09-2006, 09:33
Joe,

Scott and me are good to go, using both short Nikkor teles. Does it make sense to open a special gallerie,
forum or thread for this ?

Thanks,

Roland.

if we start a special thread i can make it a sticky.

joe

back alley
08-09-2006, 09:34
Why, of course!

So, how does it really work? We set one lens with another lens, or just one focal length?

I thought the idea was to pair off different lenses of the same focal length, and to be consistent with that one lens. Did I get it right? Or left?

the same focal length was the key thing.
the same lens if it works out that way is cool too.

joe

Pherdinand
08-09-2006, 09:49
So.
ANYONE for my jupiter-9?Or a sonnar 85/2? Or another 85?

rbiemer
08-09-2006, 09:55
So.
ANYONE for my jupiter-9?Or a sonnar 85/2? Or another 85?
Pherdinand,
OK, Jupiter-9s at twenty paces:D . If you want to buddy up with me that would be good.(I can stand being out classed!)
PM oe email me if you'd like and we can work out the details.
Rob

rbiemer
08-09-2006, 10:00
I haven't used my Seagull TLR in a while...but that's no rangefinder:( .
And 120 film will be time consumong for me to get scanned/posted.
Rob

jan normandale
08-09-2006, 10:03
Heh. I have lots of 50s. I'm game. Still scanning (and waiting for my 5000)... it'll all be smooth sailing soon...

Gabriel, I've got a Kiev 4AM with two "50's" Jupiter-8M (2/50mm), Helios-103 (1.8/53mm) we could do something on that if you are inclined. Let me know and if so and which you'd be interested in seeing me shoot or even both

Pherdinand
08-09-2006, 10:25
OK, Rob and Pherdinand are the Jupiter Eighty-Five Pair!

rbiemer
08-09-2006, 10:52
OK, Rob and Pherdinand are the Jupiter Eighty-Five Pair!
PM sent , Pherdinand.
Something just occured to me; your J-9 is Kiev mount? I have J-9 in LTM. Hmmm.
Folks(well, joe, mainly) is this "match-up" close enough for this project idea?
Sure hope so.
Rob

back alley
08-09-2006, 11:30
it's all about the focal length, not the mounts or brands.

to see what 2 shooters with the SAME FOCAL LENGTH lenses can do with them.
will there be a difference and what will that difference be due to the difference in the vision of the photographer?

Gabriel M.A.
08-09-2006, 11:42
Hi Gabriel,

how about a triangle: Scott and me on short tele, you and Scott on 50, and you and me on 35 ?

Just a crazy idea ...
That is a crazy idea. I like it! I have a 35 Ultron and a Nikkor 35 f/2.5 in LTM

By george, it just might work!

Gabriel M.A.
08-09-2006, 11:44
Gabriel, I've got a Kiev 4AM with two "50's" Jupiter-8M (2/50mm), Helios-103 (1.8/53mm) we could do something on that if you are inclined. Let me know and if so and which you'd be interested in seeing me shoot or even both
:( A bit late, I'm afraid -- Looks like I'm already paired in a Nikonian triangle. Unless there can be more than one pairing for one focal length?

...A Nikonian triangle?!? How did that happen?!? :eek:

Gabriel M.A.
08-09-2006, 11:46
it's all about the focal length, not the mounts or brands.
OK, all clear now; so that should give me freedom with my 50 arsenal. Sometimes I need things clarified a few times.

So... what are we doing now? :angel:

sbug
08-09-2006, 12:05
OK, all clear now; so that should give me freedom with my 50 arsenal. Sometimes I need things clarified a few times.

So... what are we doing now? :angel:

Taking photographs. ;)

ferider
08-09-2006, 12:13
That is a crazy idea. I like it! I have a 35 Ultron and a Nikkor 35 f/2.5 in LTM

By george, it just might work!

Tres cool, Gabriel. Let's take the Ultron then - just to be different and not give steam to Kiu :). Does C-41 B+W film work for you ? That's what Scott and me will be using ...

Cheers,

Roland.

Gabriel M.A.
08-09-2006, 19:51
C-41 B&W film sounds fine; it may speed things up for me. I have plenty of XP2 and Kodak 400CN. I may run into the traditional emulsions, if it's too bright outside.

Dougg
08-12-2006, 21:05
Well, let's see, several popular focal lengths in the mix already... Anyone for a 28mm or 25mm pairing? Or 40mm?

Wayne R. Scott
08-12-2006, 21:50
The nifty thing is that someone with web space (you all know who you are (other than me, of course)) could set up something like Wordpress and allow people to create accounts.

This is a good idea to keep people taking photographs. I have a 50 and a 35. Who wants to go? :D

Ok, Steph. I'll go. 35 or 50 your choice. B&W film of your choice also. What have you got?

Hawkeyes vs. Cyclones!!

Wayne

Wayne R. Scott
08-12-2006, 22:15
Well, let's see, several popular focal lengths in the mix already... Anyone for a 28mm or 25mm pairing? Or 40mm?

Doug,

I'll go for 40mm.

Wayne

Dougg
08-13-2006, 01:54
Doug,
I'll go for 40mm.Great! Which 40 will you use?

Wayne R. Scott
08-13-2006, 06:43
My 40mm Sonnar on Rollei 35 I guess. Or I could use a Canon Ql-17 GIII.

Wayne

Dougg
08-13-2006, 22:34
Ok, Wayne! I throw some XP2 into the CLE and get started... :) Do we have/need a folder to post into?

rbiemer
08-22-2006, 05:06
The "Sonnar Copy Hep Cats" (Pherdinand and I) are ready to start. New thread for the photos, right?
We are both shooting Jupiter-9 lenses and color film.
One unexpexcted benefit of this idea: I really need to do something about "color management" and haven't yet. With a partner, I get another set of eyes to look at the photos on a different monitor and to help with color balance. Cool!
Rob

nico
08-22-2006, 05:16
I'd like to join, but I can play only with 50, so is there anyone interested?
Bye
Nico

nico
08-22-2006, 09:03
Bump!

bye
Nico

venchka
08-22-2006, 19:24
I'd like to join, but I can play only with 50, so is there anyone interested?
Bye
Nico

Nico,

I am already teamed up with Todd with 35mm lenses and B&W film.

However, I have been bitten by a severe case of 50 buyingitis. I now seem to have more 50s than I know how to use. I would like to team up with you.

Any 50mm lens. Any film type. Agreed?

All the best.

Wayne