PDA

View Full Version : Print Swap 7

T_om
07-21-2006, 07:27
Time for another Print Swap. Hard to believe we are up to number 7 now, but here we are.

Please go here for the FAQ and rules: http://home.comcast.net/~seaskate/index_files/Page361.htm

We have done 6 of these swaps so far and all (as far as I know) have been well-received and a lot of fun. It is a wonderful way to see the work of others in a real-life, real-time, non-digitized format. It costs little and the rewards are many.

If you need to get in touch with me, please use my email address: tg.omeara(at)gmail.com and NOT a PM here on the forum. My box fills up and I miss your note.

Tom

PS: Put ALL Print Swap correspondence in this thread now and let the previous one fade away.

PPS: Please look at the new NOTE on the FAQ page if you have participated before.

PPPS: Joe, please sticky this post and un-sticky the Print Swap 6 one.

tetrisattack
07-21-2006, 07:43
E-mail sent!

Brad Bireley
07-21-2006, 08:05
email sent.

erikhaugsby
07-21-2006, 08:14
Is there a planned date by which we all should have mailed the prints?

tetrisattack
07-21-2006, 08:25

Usually it's two weeks after registration closes, which will be probably be in a few days -- swap #7 only began today. :)

raid
07-21-2006, 09:34
I am in.

Tom, do you need my information again or is this sufficient?
Raid

erikhaugsby
07-21-2006, 09:54
Usually it's two weeks after registration closes

I'm just wondering, as I am taking a nice vacation to Europe (Britan, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy) and am leaving the first week of, and not returning until the third week of August. Thus, there is a large amount of time where I will be unable to mail a print.

Regardless, if this doesn't interrupt too many timelines, I'm in.

BJ Bignell
07-21-2006, 11:58
Bad timing again, as I'm off for six weeks of vacation very soon.

However, when I return from vacation I will not only have my own place - for the first time in over a year :D - but I'll have all my darkroom gear and be getting set up. Print Swap #8, here I come! :rolleyes:

raid
07-21-2006, 11:59
I'm just wondering, as I am taking a nice vacation to Europe (Britan, France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy) and am leaving the first week of, and not returning until the third week of August. Thus, there is a large amount of time where I will be unable to mail a print.

Regardless, if this doesn't interrupt too many timelines, I'm in.

Erik,
Do as I do; make prints beforehand.
I have three prints ready to go.

Raid

Chaser
07-21-2006, 12:03
I'm in email sent

bobomoon
07-21-2006, 12:45
I've never done this before. Would it be cool if I participated?

T_om
07-21-2006, 16:31

Please read the FAQ & rules here. Please note rule #7: http://home.comcast.net/~seaskate/index_files/Page361.htm

Since we are an international community spread across every time zone there is, I leave the notice up for several days before posting a "one last chance to join" message and then closing the sign-ups.

Tom

Bryce
07-21-2006, 17:11
I'm in! Thanks again for organizing this program, Tom.

PlantedTao
07-21-2006, 17:28
I'm in...and I feel the pressure :)
Thanks Tom for putting this together.

raid
07-21-2006, 18:05
I am exited about my second participation in a RFF print swap.
Thanks to Tom, things are very well organized here.
The more international the print swap, the more interesting it is.

Raid

GWHomeyer
07-21-2006, 19:15
I'm in and looking forward to it.

rbiemer
07-21-2006, 19:16
Email sent, T_om.
Good scary fun!
Rob

erikhaugsby
07-21-2006, 19:57
I think that the time schedule will make my participation not possible. Print Swap 8, here I come.

PHOTO24
07-22-2006, 00:12
i am in ! (first time)
looking forward to send and receive
cheers
Sven

T_om
07-22-2006, 11:24
Things are really zooming along and we have a lot of new participants this time too. Signups will continue for a few days yet, so there is still plenty of time.

Tom

matt fury
07-23-2006, 09:58
Is there a good place online I can order archival inkjet prints from?

T_om
07-23-2006, 10:47
Is there a good place online I can order archival inkjet prints from?

Matt,

I am curious as to why you would want to order an inkjet print instead of a regular wet-process print? :confused:

Any lab offering "giclee" prints will print your shot for you. "Giclee" is just a pseudo sophisticated way of saying "inkjet". ;)

Tom

amateriat
07-23-2006, 13:01
I've never done this before. Would it be cool if I participated? Darn tootin' it would be cool, so do it! :)

And, I'm on this one as well; a bit of a glitch kept me out ot the last one. And I've actually had a little time to work on some prints the last day or two, so, for me at least, the timing's about right.

- Barrett

matt fury
07-23-2006, 19:35
Matt,

I am curious as to why you would want to order an inkjet print instead of a regular wet-process print? :confused:

Any lab offering "giclee" prints will print your shot for you. "Giclee" is just a pseudo sophisticated way of saying "inkjet". ;)

Tom

Well if I had my choice, I would definitely go in the darkroom and print something up myself. But I don't have access to a darkroom when school is out of session. I thought it would be way more feasible to get a good inkjet print in the timeframe rather than try to find a shop to make a print from (which I've never done before). Plus, I shot some slides that I think came out very well and I made 130mb Imacon scans from them, so I thought they would make a good print candidate.

Now that you mention it, maybe I'll call the local lab that does my slides and see if they offer printing services...

T_om
07-24-2006, 12:01
I don't know where you are but if you are in the US go here:

www.bayphoto.com

A GREAT online pro lab that can easily handle all your printing needs.

Standard disclaimer applies: I am not associated with them in any way except as a happy customer.

Tom

matt fury
07-24-2006, 20:50
Tom, I am in the US and they look good...quick turn around, fair prices. I'm a little confused about their product though. It's a traditional print, or inkjet?

T_om
07-25-2006, 13:53
Tom, I am in the US and they look good...quick turn around, fair prices. I'm a little confused about their product though. It's a traditional print, or inkjet?

Traditional print until you get to huge sizes.

Tom

rbiemer
07-28-2006, 05:05
Matt,
I had planned to use an almost local lab to print what I've decided on for this swap, but they are moving the shop and are closed for an indeterminate length of time while they move:bang: .
So I used these folks:mpix.com (http://www.mpix.com)
I have used them before with excellent results. No connection but for being a satisfied customer.
I ordered yesterday AM and they will be shipping to me today. I chose USPS Priority mail(it's the cheapest option) as I have before and I expect to see my stuff Monday or Tuesday.
Rob

T_om
07-28-2006, 06:43
OK folks... I am going to close the sign-ups as of Sunday, 30 July at 12 noon US Eastern time. (-5 GMT)

We will have the drawing Sunday and I'll get the pairing out either Sunday evening or Monday morning.

Still plenty of time to sign up if you want to participate.

Tom

Diggin99
07-28-2006, 07:30
Just an email!

Nancy

Justin Low
07-29-2006, 19:19
I'm in! Cheers!

tetrisattack
07-31-2006, 07:18
Spent 8 hours in the darkroom this weekend preparing for this, now eagerly waiting the drawing. :)

pesphoto
07-31-2006, 07:21
I missed this one, been way too busy. I'll try to catch the next one.

T_om
07-31-2006, 13:25
Signups are closed. The drawing is tonight.

Sorry for the one day delay, but some pressing personal business with an interment ceremony for a dear friend of 38 years intervened.

Tom

samdj1210
07-31-2006, 14:06
Doh, i think i missed it! Email sent

T_om
07-31-2006, 14:57
Here are the swap pairings. Forum username followed by real name and email as usual.

Contact your partner and away you go:

Print Swap 7 Pairings:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AOI Photo (J. M. Fitzmaurice) aoi(AT)iboi.org
Justin Low (Justin Low) low.justin(AT)gmail.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JW52TX (Jim Woodard) bigbenz78(AT)msn.com
matt fury (Matt Cavaliere) tacosalad(AT)gmail.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dougg (Doug Miles) MILESD(AT)ELLTEL.NET
PHOTO24 (Sven Hafner) sven.hafner(AT)photography24.com
patrickjames (Patrick James) artist(AT)patrickrobertjames.com
GWHomeyer (Gerald W Homeyer) wrider(AT)gmail.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rbiemer (Rob Biemer) rob.biemer(AT)gmail.com
Plantedtao (Jason Cundey) PlantedTao(AT)Yahoo.com
Bryce (Bryce Parker) anvilfoot(AT)yahoo.com
Raid Amin (Raid Amin) ramin(AT)uwf.edu
plummerl (Larry Plummer) plummerl(AT)comcast.net
bobomoon (Young-Ki Moon) bobomoon(AT)gmail.com
patashnik (Svein Jarle Nymark) svejar(AT)broadpark.no
Chaser (Chase Allgood) jujuthafattywagon(AT)yahoo.com
ManGo (Manolo Gozales) manolo(AT)mad4manolo.co.uk
Brad Bireley (Brad Bireley) babireley(AT)veriozn.net
tetrisattack (Conor Peterson) robotrobot(AT)gmail.com
amateriat (Barrett Benton) bwbenton(AT)bellatlantic.net

Have fun. :)

Tom

raid
07-31-2006, 15:14
Tom,
Thanks for your organizational work here.

Raid

Diggin99
07-31-2006, 20:19
I am sorry I missed it! I thought I sent an email in time but I see I am not on the list!

I think it must have been my mistake...I just noticed that the email I sent was titled "Print swamp"...Do'h!

Nancy :(

Justin Low
08-25-2006, 06:19
Has everyone received their prints yet?

I'm still waiting for mine. :(

raid
08-25-2006, 08:41
Bryce and I have successfully exchanged prints.

Raid

PlantedTao
08-25-2006, 08:53
Rob and I have exchanged...
and I'm very pleased with the print received. This turned out to be a very good experience and I look forward to the next one. (thanks tom)

matt fury
08-25-2006, 09:37
Jim and I have exchanged, and it looks like we'll be doing it again! Thanks for setting this up, Tom.

GWHomeyer
08-26-2006, 18:46
My print from Patrick arrived safe and sound (very nice image) and I believe he received mine as well. Waiting for the next one.

rbiemer
08-26-2006, 20:22
I swapped with PlantedTao (Jason) and our swap went very smoothly and I am very happy with the print he sent!
Lots of fun!
Rob

pesphoto
08-26-2006, 20:30
When is print swap 8?

T_om
08-26-2006, 21:15
When is print swap 8?

PS 8 will start the first of October.

Tom

Stephanie Brim
08-26-2006, 21:20
I'm going to get in on the 8th one finally. I can't do my own print, but I found a lab I'm actually comfortable with using for a real print. Wonder if he'll let me watch him print the photo...I might learn something.

I'm going to actually get an enlarger most likely after my trip to Colorado. Grandparents basement this may be, but I'm going to find SOMEWHERE I can put one.

Brad Bireley
09-09-2006, 16:05
I received my print from ManGo. Great photo!
Brad

PHOTO24
09-10-2006, 03:31
Doug and Me also exchanged successfully.
Thumbs up !
cheers

Stan
09-17-2006, 00:54
Count me in for PS 8, please.
SDtan W

Stan
09-17-2006, 00:55
Sorry; that should be
Stan

Justin Low
09-17-2006, 00:57
I should be in for Print Swap 8 too, although I'd like to state for the record that I sent my partner, AOI Photo my print, but I never received one in return. I've given up emailing him.

samdj1210
09-17-2006, 01:11
Count me in, email sent :-)

plummerl
09-19-2006, 18:16
Young-Ki (bobomoon) and I successfully exchanged prints. Two great prints from Young-Ki, bring on "Print Swap 8"!

Bryce
09-20-2006, 14:25
Count me in for Print Swap 8!
#7 has been a wonderful experience for me, thanks again for organizing this Tom.

biomed
09-20-2006, 14:49
Tom,
PLease include me in PS8. Email sent.

Mike

T_om
09-20-2006, 15:42
Is this the official print swap 8 announcement or will that come on Oct 1?

PS 8 will not start until October Guys (and Gals :) )

I will post the start, as usual, in a new thread.

Please DO NOT send any more email signups yet as I do not have my mail system set up for it and they may go astray. When it starts, I post reminders for a week or so before the drawing takes place so there will be plenty of warning ahead of time for everyone to sign up.

Tom

PS: If ever you have difficulty with a swap partner, please contact me before posting back to the threads.

raid
09-27-2006, 05:47
Yes, these print swaps are great. I like the prints that I have received.

Raid

Bryce
10-09-2006, 10:34
Is this still a go?

GWHomeyer
10-10-2006, 22:45
Waiting anxiously for print swap 8 as well...