PDA

View Full Version : Poll: how much film do you shoot?

JoeFriday
06-06-2006, 07:24
I'm not looking to start a competition or thread war.. just curious how much film the average RFFer goes through in a month/year and whether you develop it yourself or have a lab process it

Uncle Bill
06-06-2006, 07:27
I think I dropped almost $2000 Cdn in film and processing last year. I am going to be doing my own black and white developing shortly so that cost will come down.

Bill

varjag
06-06-2006, 07:30
I kept my film and processing costs within $300 for past year I think. Taking deals on bulk BW and home processing it helps.

bmattock
06-06-2006, 07:34
I tend to shoot several rolls of B&W a week lately. Almost no color film. And I've had my Pentax *ist DS for a bit more than a year, I'm up to 8,000 shutter acuations. Didn't seem like that many.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

vicmortelmans
06-06-2006, 07:35
I shoot a lot of b&w until the row of films on the shelf, waiting for development, gets long. Then I tend to grab a color film to get it lab-processed. When the time comes that I spend an evening to develop the b&w films, I conclude that I still have to learn a lot and start shooting b&w films like mad.

Groeten,

Vic

ch1
06-06-2006, 07:37
At some point I promise I will learn how to develop B&W - but for now I use the labs for all my film processing.

However, I keep the operating costs down by doing D.O. and then scanning. Of course I had the up front capital expense of buying a scanner - but that is amortized over time.

Oh, I also shoot digital at times.

wtl
06-06-2006, 07:43
some time ago i counted how many rolls i shot but now i pay more attention to how many i keep, which is very few.

f/stopblues
06-06-2006, 07:48
I think I go through about 2-3 rolls of B&W a week in 35mm. Not really too much, but I don't always have time to shoot in the evenings unfortunately. I'll take swings where a roll will last two weeks, or sometimes 10 rolls in a week, especially if I'm feeling it during the weekend. I process all my own.

Gid
06-06-2006, 08:28
Depends on whether I'm shooting B&W or colour. B&W I develop at home, colour goes to the lab. Currently around 10 rolls a month 80% E6 although I shot 12 rolls last week whilst on holiday.

PeterL
06-06-2006, 08:38
When I first got my Zorki, I was up to about 1 roll per week, for a month. That was near my holiday average of 3-4 rolls per week. Now I'm back down to basically nothing. When I get my iiic back this week & I finish my exams in 3 weeks, I'll be more active again :)

I don't have a room that I can darken without making lots and lots of dust (blankets in front of the door etc.) so I just dump them at the lab. I don't care too much anyway, it's what ends up on my film that needs work, not the post-processing.

Peter.

gns
06-06-2006, 08:48
Story related by Lee Friedlander in the intro essay to "Arrivals and Departures"...

Over breakfast, after G. Winogrand had recently spent an evening photographing Norman Mailer's 50th B-Day party (some of these pictures are in "Public Relations").

Friedlander asks, "How did it go"?
Winogrand replies, "35 rolls, end of story".

FrankS
06-06-2006, 09:29
1-4 rolls per month, home developed

Tom Harrell
06-06-2006, 09:35
1 to 4 rolls per month, but I take mine to the local one hour hack.

Socke
06-06-2006, 09:46
Used to be much more before digital, today I shoot mostly B/W on film and color digital, except when I travel where I shoot slides. All in all it adds up to about 50 to 60 rolls B/W, 10 rolls C-41 and 20 rolls slides a year.

robert blu
06-06-2006, 09:53
During the year each mont about 3-5 rolls colour slides + 2-3 B&W (actually developped by a friend photogrpher but planning to go back developping myself in a short time). During holidays between me and my wife 15-20 depending on how long and where we go. Let say more or less 2-3 a day. Additionally some polaroid and som 120 B6W just to use old rolleiflex from my father.

flashover
06-06-2006, 10:02
well about 4- rolls a month but I don't develop it myself. i guess that's why there are about 20 or so rolls on top of the fridge waiting

eric mac
06-06-2006, 11:05
I try to shoot at least a roll a week, not including vacations. I shoot mostly black and white and develop within the week. I have about six months of contact sheets to do, though.

Eric

dmr
06-06-2006, 11:24
I averaged on my answer. Sometimes I'll do as many as 5 rolls a day, but sometimes I'll only do 2-3 a month.

BudGreen
06-06-2006, 12:32
Usually between 2 and 4 rolls per week. Exclusively black and white. Developed myself in the laundry room sink and scanned.

cjm
06-06-2006, 12:39
For me, it just depends on what I can squeeze out of my student loans for monthly "living expenses." It usually equates to two rolls a month, one color and one B&W. Both processed and scanned by a lab.

Silva Lining
06-06-2006, 13:29
Like dmr, I averaged on my answer. Some months I could easily shoot 20 rolls, others 2 or 3. I shoot 95% B & W and always develop my own negs and then scan.

hth
06-06-2006, 13:50
I cannot decide what to choose. I go through some 50-60 rolls per year, and probably evenly mixed between color and B&W at the moment, but it varies. B&W is always home processed, color goes to a lab.

I sort of fall in between the choices! ;)

I did not vote...

/Håkan

Ariya
06-06-2006, 14:26
I try to shoot at least a roll a week, not including vacations. I shoot mostly black and white and develop within the week.

Ditto for me. My shots per month went up dramatically once I learned to develop the film myself. The cost savings is incredible. If anyone wants to learn, I'd be happy to send the book I started with at no charge. Just send a PM.

Peter

This book has been spoken for.

jan normandale
06-06-2006, 17:32
Okay ... so "how much?".. about 4-6 rolls minimum a week. Sorta like smoking! I gotta get this under some form of cost control. Mostly lab processed colour and C41 BW. I'm looking to go into rolling and processing BW in bulk. Hope to save a buck or two.

JoeFriday
06-06-2006, 19:29
Ditto for me. My shots per month went up dramatically once I learned to develop the film myself. The cost savings is incredible. If anyone wants to learn, I'd be happy to send the book I started with at no charge. Just send a PM.

Peter
Peter, what's the book? I probably can find it through my library system

pvdhaar
06-06-2006, 22:58
My film consumption goes like the tide. At least one roll per week, but there are periods when its 2 or 3 rolls per week.

Dougg
06-06-2006, 23:47
So, Peter and others who replied with a weekly count, how does it average out on a month-to-month basis? Maybe the poll would be even more meaningful had it asked for a yearly count. I searched my film database for "2005" and it came up with records of 94 rolls shot that calendar year. I'm a little surprised it was that much, as I don't often take multiple shots of a single subject. Perhaps non-typical, as I used only 65 for each of the two previous years. Still, this gives a new perspective on the contents of the freezer!

pvdhaar
06-07-2006, 00:14
So, Peter and others who replied with a weekly count, how does it average out on a month-to-month basis?
Between 1 and 3 per week in my case would add up to about 6 or 7 per month..

sf
06-07-2006, 01:41
How much film do I shoot?

Not enough.

Ariya
06-07-2006, 07:40
Peter, what's the book? I probably can find it through my library system

The book is called "Basic Developing, Printing, Enlarging In Black-&-White" and was published by Kodak in 1977. I think they may have an updated version available as well. This book was recommended by some members on another site and it was exactly what I needed. Step by step instructions with photos - everything is explained very simply like following the recipe for Campbells soup. After reading so many posts about developer choices, push and pull processing, etc I was really apprehensive about developing, but it turns out that developing film is actually very easy to do.

Ariya
06-07-2006, 07:51
So, Peter and others who replied with a weekly count, how does it average out on a month-to-month basis? Maybe the poll would be even more meaningful had it asked for a yearly count. I searched my film database for "2005" and it came up with records of 94 rolls shot that calendar year. I'm a little surprised it was that much, as I don't often take multiple shots of a single subject. Perhaps non-typical, as I used only 65 for each of the two previous years. Still, this gives a new perspective on the contents of the freezer!

It depends on whether or not I take into account all of the 'family' photos that I take. For example, my brother renewed his wedding vows a couple of months ago and I took 3 or 4 rolls for him, but I don't count those. Same with family gatherings, parties, etc. What I count are the rolls where I have an image in mind when I press the shutter - something that I think may end up on my wall (or someone else's) - not just the recording of an event. Of course a lot of the rolls in this category are experiments. I shoot a lot of experimental rolls to see the effects of different apertures, long exposures, etc. I buy huge quantities of expired film for a song from a local camera store and blow right through it. I actually just picked up my third, no fourth, developing tank so that I have enough dry spools to process up to eight or ten rolls in a sitting. If I wasn't so cheap I'd just buy a larger tank (but I am cheap). My annual numbers are probably close to yours.

Magnus
07-14-2006, 12:53
According to my administration over 2005 I shot 512 rolls of film. 2004; 713 and 2006 up until this point in time 487.

Over 60% of the shots have disappeared in the big grey bag. roughly 20% I keep the negs on file, the others are printed, 15% by myself the rest by a pro-lab.

Very hard to shoot one good shot without wasting a couple....

rogue_designer
07-14-2006, 12:56
For my personal dorking around, I shoot about 12 rolls of 35mm a month, and another 5 rolls of 120. Mostly lab processed due to lack of time, and a good mix of c-41 already going to the lab.

Client shoots are another story altogether.

DougK
07-14-2006, 15:12
It depends... I've had a couple of months recently where I haven't felt like shooting at all and my work schedule hasn't allowed me much time to shoot. Earlier this year it wasn't unusual for me to blow off two or three rolls every weekend. I have 30 rolls of C41 B&W taunting me every time I open my fridge, though, so the next time I shoot it will probably result in a very expensive trip to the lab.

Buze
07-14-2006, 15:43
I also try to do one roll of B&W a week; 135 or 120. Home processed, for scanning.

If the weather permits, or I go on holiday I'll do E6 120, and that can add up. Over a week-end I can do 4 or 5 films....

JohnL
07-16-2006, 06:32
So far this year I shot just 16 rolls of film, plus about 3000 frames of digital (excluding sports, which would be about a further 3000, on just two events). I have all my film lab processed, but no prints. I scan and print myself (selects only).

GeneW
07-16-2006, 06:53
Last year I averaged a little over a roll a week of B&W film that I processed myself, plus a few rolls of C-41 col I took to the lab. This year, since my cardiac incident, I've only shot a few rolls but it's picking up again. Especially after discovering I can purchase Fuji Superia 400 in 6-packs for about $2/roll at one store, and get them developed and scanned to CD for $2.99/roll at another store. (Cdn prices)

I foresee a lot more C-41 col being shot!

Gene

RayPA
07-16-2006, 17:03
Usually between 2 and 4 rolls per week. Exclusively black and white. Developed myself in the laundry room sink and scanned.

This is about my range too, Bud. And, I process at the laundry room sink, as well! Additionally, I probably average under 2-3 rolls of color negative film a month. :)

back alley
07-16-2006, 17:51
how much film do you shoot?

more than i process it seems...

RayPA
07-16-2006, 18:24
how much film do you shoot?

more than i process it seems...

:D sometimes THE determining factor on how much I film I shoot (I've run out of bulk load canisters!).

:)

back alley
07-16-2006, 18:47
my bathroom counter top has about 15 rolls on it, waiting for processing.

the last one there came out of the hexar af, there are 3 from pre wedding shoot (the bride getting dressed) and a bunch from the zm and the cv 40 lenses.

i am so friggin' lazy...

Rafael
07-18-2006, 08:02
Time and money have been in short supply lately. Usually, I shoot a 2-3 rolls a week (mostly B&W). However, of late I have been lucky to shoot a roll a week. So I put myself down for 0-5.

BJ Bignell
07-18-2006, 08:02
my bathroom counter top has about 15 rolls on it, waiting for processing.

the last one there came out of the hexar af, there are 3 from pre wedding shoot (the bride getting dressed) and a bunch from the zm and the cv 40 lenses.

i am so friggin' lazy...I noticed that you decided to not count the garbage bags in your basement that are FULL of film from the 90s, and maybe even the 80s... ;)

sf
07-19-2006, 12:35
I'm buying up all the expired film I can find, and I plan on shooting . . . maybe 50 rolls in the next year. Not alot. Some B&W in there. Fact is, I am moving the more prolific portion of my passion into digital (simple snapshots and the like), and keeping the important stuff like portraits, landscapes, and intentional street photography (when I go out on the weekend with my eyes wide open) to film.

I fear that digital will slowly replace the vast majority of means over time. But, film is where the heart is, anyway.

jan normandale
07-19-2006, 12:47
I'm shooting almost exclusively film now. I haven't shot more than 10 frames lately with my digital. Retro is where I am now. Probably Ill change when the quality / price ratio comes into a price point I think represents better value than my film. Til then.... it's film baby!

Cooki
07-19-2006, 13:46
Last year I spent $6,500 on film and processing. I gotta getta girlfriend or something to distract me.

Mark Norton
07-19-2006, 13:48
I haven't shot a roll of film since 2001 and that last roll of film is still waiting to be developed.

Eddyboy
07-19-2006, 15:28
I haven't shot a roll of film since 2001 and that last roll of film is still waiting to be developed.

I shot a hundred or so rolls in June of 2002. None since then.

w3rk5
07-19-2006, 16:50
I'm shooting more these days ever since I started bulk loading and developing (b&w) myself. Unfortunately, they are mostly test shots.

thawkins
07-21-2006, 20:23
50-60 rolld/year. Went to Film Depot yesterday and purchased eight rolls of 120 (4 Delta 100 and 4 Reala) and eight rolls of 35mm (Reala). The 120 will go through a Yashicamat and the 35mm will go through a QL17, Retina 1a and 2a and maybe one roll through an SRT 101.

raid
07-22-2006, 07:48
I shoot about 2-3 rolls a weekend. All rolls are commercially developed.
I like Sam's Club Fuji Frontier. The manager and the workers know me by name and they give me royal treatment. I pay for low resolution scanning ($4/roll) for 36 exp. film developed and scanned to CD, but get "enhanced" resolution at 2MB files. With B&W film, I get the film developed at a lab ($5/roll) and then take it to Sam's Club to get it scanned for $2.80/roll).

Raid

Nachkebia
08-05-2006, 14:27
raid amin : If I may ask, How do you print them?

James Brannan
08-25-2006, 05:46
2 to 3 rolls per week for me. All processed at my local drug store. :D

shutterbug
08-26-2006, 15:30
Up till about five years ago, I used to shoot way too much film. In the early 80's I would load my own Tri-x, using a Watson loader. For a few years before that I would load old used 35mm spools, and sometimes the old Leica cassettes, when I was using an old 111f.
It was only when I started shooting for newspapers that I got film for free, and then I started shooting loads of film.
Covering news jobs by day, and live bands by night, with an M2 with a Canon 28mm 2.8 and 50 summicron, I had a great time.
Sex Pistols, Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Queen, The Police, The Specials, Madness, Peter Frampton, David Bowie plus many more. All on the M2..( plus the usual other Press gear). Never let me down.
So, in answer to the question, in those days, between 10 and 20 rolls a day.
Nowadays, 1 at the most.

Superbus_
09-23-2006, 01:55
1-2 rolls/week. I always waste my time on choosing the right camera. :)

CJP6008
09-29-2006, 03:47
About 20 a week, roughly half B&W (processed in my darkroom in Peter Hogan's excellent Precysol) and half Portra NC that goes to the lab. Can be more depending on workload.

Stephanie Brim
09-29-2006, 04:28
I shoot 10-12 rolls a month some months and hardly any the next...so I chose 5-10 rolls per month as my choice. More of my interest is going to photography lately than to other things so it may change to the 10-12 every month again or it may go to even more...hard telling with me.

Bromo33333
10-05-2006, 15:24
I average about 6 rolls a month (appx 1-2 per week) of C-41 B&W and Colour 35mm film. Processed at grocery store (cheap around here ... Rochester, NY!).

E_Aiken
10-08-2006, 19:01
I probably average about a roll a day, maybe a little less. Process it myself in long, arduous sessions.

nikon_junkie
10-17-2006, 12:49
Probably will sell my Jobo and all the fresh chems I have and either shoot C41 or digital. Slowly moving to all digital. Shoot for newspaper and do weddings for others (soon to be myself).

Though on my upcoming trip to Bermuda the M6 and 35 will see most of the use.

To answer the question... 2 rolls a week on average.

Gabriel M.A.
10-17-2006, 15:51
Probably will sell my Jobo and all the fresh chems I have and either shoot C41 or digital.
What Jobo setup do you have? I'm interested on a few items.

jody
11-04-2006, 14:37
Around six rolls a month plus the digital eqivalent of 20

Northern_Bliss
11-07-2006, 16:41
Normally I would shoot about 3 rolls (120) per week, mostly b&w and process it myself, but now experimenting a bit more with colour so the lab gets the C-41.

I have to admit I slow down and in some cases do not shoot at all during the winter months and tend to edit and print much of what I shot over the summer and fall which keeps me plenty busy until the next thaw.

mschlapfer
11-07-2006, 21:48
I'm back to running film again after being away from it since about 2001 and I too have 3 rolls sitting on my desk waiting for development. All I can tell you is my tanks and reels are cleaned and the time is near:cool:

I might add....working mainly right now with Kodachrome ( a special project I've assigned myself ). The B&W work will come later as I progress back into film. To be honest,I have no aversion to or special preference for any particular media. I do whatever and yes, digital still remains a choice as well.
Voted 5-10 rolls per month mostly lab processed which is about right including what I did "back in the day". When I run the B&W, I'll be processing it.

Finglas
11-14-2006, 19:36
First ever post on RFF...:)
Colour Film user since 1982 and nearly always Fuji Reala 100 asa, Superia 100asa when I can find it !!-
Photos developed in lab in Dublin, only ever used 2 labs since 1982 & they're great, although I would use Fuji Sensia 100 about 10% of the time too.
Recently tried Fuji Pro 160c but didn't notice any difference - but I liked it.
As for usage maybe only 1 roll per month, except on holiday etc when its 1 per day
All film rolls are 36 exposure.
First camera in 1982 was RF Ricoh 500me, then went onto a slr Nikon FE and now back to RF with a Leica MP & 50 f2 summicron

RichC
11-17-2006, 02:48
Last roll: 2001. So that's 1/5th of a roll a year!

OTOH, I shoot about 100 images a month on my R-D1 (my only camera).

That said I don't eschew film as I have a Rollei 35 for emergencies, like my R-D1 running out of juice

Pistach
11-17-2006, 03:49
As an hobbyst I would rather measure my output in rolls/year. In the last years I am using Reala (in 120 too) have it processed by lab and then scan+PS+inkjet.
Since I have 45 years of 35mm (ongoing) and 5 of 120 (I am also LF ready) I have thousands of negatives/slides. The archive is a big headache. It takes time, money and space. A lot of them. Example. Only recently I found a dealer that custom makes dust proof holders. And I am in the process of mooving all my photos from the panodia stuff to the new holders.
Now looking at you pros. How do you manage your archive to handle an output of thousands/year?
If I will ever find myself more involved in shooting on someone else assignement I would need a company to help me (a la Peter Gowland)!
Cheers to all
Pistach

zuikologist
01-10-2007, 04:37
Perhaps 3 rolls per month on average, more in the summer, less in the winter. Variety of film: Xp2 and Neopan 400CN as well as Fuji Superia 200 and 400.

Finglas - welcome to the forum.

Pistach - that's a good point. I am looking for reasonably priced archiving folders for 35mm slides and negs. Comments and suggestions would be welcome.

shg005
02-18-2007, 07:52
35mm films - 3..4 weekly
120 - 2..3 weekly in average

kevin m
02-18-2007, 21:17
3-4 rolls a week, all lab processed.

fuwen
04-26-2007, 23:06
Average about 1 roll per month. Shoot only Kodak colour negatives, at present using UC100 and UC400. All process by lab with the optical machine.

When I travel for vacation I used to shoot about 40 rolls over 2-3 weeks per trip.

Marc Jutras
04-27-2007, 06:52
I don't shoot much. I never have. Normally, less than 5 rolls a month and everything goes to the lab. I shoot only for specific purposes and usually because I'm asked to. I never go for a walk with my camera. If I do, I come back with a virgin roll.

Ming The Merciless
04-27-2007, 08:21
It all depends on different factors. The weather, the time of year, what is going on as far as events etc and recently whether I take my Lumix with me or not. I would say I can average 5 rolls, all lab processed every two weeks. In the nicer weather maybe 5 rolls per week. It all depends on what is taking place. I tend to shoot less when I'm out but also the digital camera takes shots that I would normally take with film. Sunday I spent much of the day in central park and took about 60 photos with the Lumix -- that's 60 shots that I would have taken with a film SLR in the past.

Rhoyle
06-18-2007, 20:56
Sometimes none, sometimes a lot!

onespeed
06-18-2007, 21:08
between 60 and 75 exposures a week in both 120 and 35mm all processed at home , print mostly at home, also this past week when the wife and kids where gone got 10 8x10's and a bunch o' 5x7's hung to dry in the guerilla darkroom

eric.schmiedl
06-18-2007, 22:25
I've probably shot upwards of a hundred rolls since January. Mostly hand developed black and white, with maybe 30 rolls of slide film in there.

So about twenty rolls a month.

johnastovall
06-19-2007, 05:37
I shoot film only in 120 and 220 in my MF bodies. Still to poor for nice Aptus back... :(

einolu
07-23-2007, 05:26
interesting thread to bump. i am shooting a lot more now that i am using color than i ever did with black and white. less keepers a roll though.

i used to shoot about 4 rolls a week when shooting black and white. im not sure how it happen but i have gone through more than 30 rolls of color this month.

Tom A
07-23-2007, 15:10
For the last 15-20 years I have been averaging 700 rolls per year. All black and white. Some years it has been more and some slightly less, but that is the average. I do all my own processing as well as making my own developers from scratch.
My excuse is the fact that I insist on shooting at least one or two rolls with each Rapidwinder that I make, but truth be known, I would shoot just as many anyway.
I usually print a couple of shots from each neg, but since I figured out how to scan stuff, I put it in Lightroom and one day when I have figured out how to use a printer with my computer, I might print some with that. It wont replace my "wet" darkroom though. I still love the "mechanics" of using an enlarger and "souping" prints.
When I did commercial photography, there were days when you blitzed through 60-80 rolls/day. Mainly for large scale AV-productions or industrial stuff. It was a job and like most jobs, it gets boring after a while. My black/white is for me. Nobody stands behind and comments or looks at a slide and says "Oh, too bad you didn't get that part in" or "Oh. it is a vertical - I needed it as a horizontal!". The latter was usually not a problem as I do flip the camera 90 degrees when the shot allows for it.
If I have a motto it would probably be : When in doubt, bracket". Whatever latin I had in schooll has gone by the wayside, but maybe there is a RFf member with a better classical eductaion out there who can translate. That would look good on a Softie too!

sepiareverb
07-23-2007, 16:44
I've shot more film in the last year and a half since getting that first Leica than I did in the three years before. Just love shooting. I'm currently at about 60% B&W/40% color.

TheHub
07-25-2007, 04:28
2 ~ 5 rolls a week, B&W and color. Got 5 films coming back tomorrow evening :) :) I love going to the shop to pick them up

jbf
11-29-2007, 09:37
It depends. It can be anywhere from maybe 5 rolls a month to 20+ rolls a month. It all depends on how much free time I have, etc.

I've gotta say that I'm like bob (Sepiareverb) here... I've shot more film in the last year two than I have in my entire life. :D :D I couldnt be happier. :D

projectbluebird
12-27-2007, 18:32
My shooting varies a lot.

Some weeks (months) none,
some weeks several a day.

I also don't keep that close of an eye on the numbers,
I shoot until I run out of film, then buy more (mostly Bulk).
But if I had to guess, I'd have to say 2-3 rolls/week, on average.
Lately it's been higher, but this summer I shot nothing.

Spare time also has a lot to do with my output as well,
not in terms of shooting, but I do all of my own processing by hand.
Even color, I'm just a sucker for punishment!:rolleyes:
Then I scan and print digitally, if I print at all.

But I also have access to a lab (not my own) that is very well equipped,
and I pay a small fee for ink and chemicals. Or bring my own. (chemicals, that is.)
If I had to set up my own darkroom at home, and hopefully some day I will,
I'd probably stick to B+W. I only use a few pro-packs of color a year, as it is.
Compared to a couple bulk rolls for the same period...
Anyone know how many rolls of 36(ish) is in one of those?

marke
12-27-2007, 20:04
Compared to a couple bulk rolls for the same period...
Anyone know how many rolls of 36(ish) is in one of those?

I've been wondering myself, never having gone the bulk route. But I'm confused...if you shoot bulk all the time, how come you haven't figured that one out yourself? :confused:

navilluspm
12-27-2007, 20:39
Hi Mark. How is it going? We really have to get together and shoot sometime soon. Maybe after this weekend (I have a wedding to attend this Saturday)

To answer your question, I get about 18+ 36 exposure rolls from a 100ft roll. The + means that the 19th roll is either long or short, and 36 exposures are more like 37 or 38 per roll. (I actually roll 40 exposures, but a few are wasted in loading the camera). It is usually far less expensive shooting bulk rolls, but not always. I stocked up on Arista 50 (PanF+) when Freestyle was selling out dated stuff for $12/100ft.

Well, give me a call or PM sometime when we can go out shooting again.

Take care,
MIchael

projectbluebird
12-28-2007, 00:35
I've been wondering myself, never having gone the bulk route. But I'm confused...if you shoot bulk all the time, how come you haven't figured that one out yourself? :confused:

I regularly use three different bulk films, though never at the same time,
and load into leitz cassettes, not the cheap one-use ones. At least, that's all I've
been able to get out of them without getting scratches.

I use a watson loader, because It works nicely with the leica cassettes,
and I just count the clicks, which yields about 36-38 exposures per roll.
I don't know what that works out to in feet and inches, but I know that my bulk
rolls are 100' long and it takes about a year to go through 3-4.

By the by, does anyone know how long a roll of 36 is?

Some of the films I like to use for special purposes don't come in bulk, and have
to be purchased by the roll. Any of the High-Speed films for instance, or IR.
I use a fair amount of both, but since I typically buy in small batches from the
local pro store, I don't have any reliable records as to how many, and when.

I guess all of that boils down to,

"If I've got film, I shoot. If I don't I wait until I get some."

marke
12-28-2007, 16:50
Hi Mark. How is it going? We really have to get together and shoot sometime soon. Maybe after this weekend (I have a wedding to attend this Saturday)

Hi Michael! Things are going well with me. Busy, but good. And I see I'm not the only one opting for a snowy wedding! Remember: February 9th. We're getting invitations out late, but just want you to know that you and your family are invited. And speaking of family, any news yet? :)

The other thing I've been busy with is looking for a house. I found one and I'll be closing on it January 15th.

To answer your question, I get about 18+ 36 exposure rolls from a 100ft roll. The + means that the 19th roll is either long or short, and 36 exposures are more like 37 or 38 per roll. (I actually roll 40 exposures, but a few are wasted in loading the camera). It is usually far less expensive shooting bulk rolls, but not always. I stocked up on Arista 50 (PanF+) when Freestyle was selling out dated stuff for $12/100ft.

That could save me quite a bit of money.

Well, give me a call or PM sometime when we can go out shooting again.

Will do. I probably won't have much of a chance until sometime after the wedding and we're settled in a bit. But I'm looking forward to it.

marke
12-28-2007, 16:52
I regularly use three different bulk films, though never at the same time, "

I see. So I guess that would make it difficult to keep tract of the number of rolls.

Thanks for the reply, PBB!