PDA

View Full Version : Post your project Ideas here.

MP Guy
12-14-2003, 11:47
Let this thread be a collection of project ideas from all the members.

lars
12-14-2003, 14:06
I think a monthly subject would be good because it would force people to shoot things that they might normally avoid. It's a good way to broaden one's vision. Perhaps announce the subject 1 month in advance to give us film shooters (are there any true digital rangefinders??) time to develop and scan.

Of course, my assumption is that the impetus behind a monthly project is to encourage members to expand their horizons. If it's just to get them to shoot more often (nothing wrong with that), then perhaps a theme would be more appropriate since a variety of subject matter can be used to fulfill a theme.

FYI on the Streetphoto list (Topica) they have monthly themes and the winner of the competition picks the next month's theme as well as judges them.

Also, will photos have to be made with rangefinder cameras? My opinion is NO because I shoot when I have time and sometimes I HAVE to use my SLR. The type of camera I use shouldn't matter if I'm just trying to develop my eye. On the other hand, if you want to use the monthly project to promote the use of rangefinders (particularly among those of us who are collectors who have some poor, neglected shelf-dwellers), then making a rangefinder's use mandatory makes perfect sense.

There are enough community montly/weekly photo projects out there that I don't think anyone is going to feel deprived if they are limited to using a rangefinder camera for this particular project.

I do feel, however, that photos submitted for the project be current for that month. Submitting a photo that was taken prior to the monthly theme/subject announcement shouldn't be permitted.

I think it would be great to have very specific directives like, for instance, one month, your photo would have to be in colour; or be shot at night; or be shot with a flash mixed with ambient light; etc. A really good one would be to require participants to shoot a portrait photo of a stranger. That seems to be a major bugaboo for most photographers (myself included).

...lars

back alley
12-14-2003, 14:08
hey guys & gals, it seems our monthly photo projects have a home!
so stay tuned and sometime on new year's eve i will post the first topic for our january inauguration.

joe

back alley
12-14-2003, 14:12
lars,
for more info, head over to the rangefinder news section to view the comments posted so far re. the projects.

joe

jdos2
12-14-2003, 19:49
Are ya looking for ideas, then?

back alley
12-14-2003, 21:58
oh yeah!
if you have some pm me with them.

joe

Peter
12-15-2003, 03:03
I sincerely think that this long term project would bring this forum to a higher level and not to mention attract more active members. We could show others that a forum is more than talking, it has action too! :D

oftheherd
12-15-2003, 06:42
I have to admit I am divided on the question of using other than rangefinder cameras for this. On the one had, since I have so much SLR gear, I would like to be able to use it. On the other, this is a rangefinder forum, and I have a brick as well as a Mamiya Super Press 23 (assuming I can use if to its fullest extent, that is, the focusing back when I want:) ). For that matter, do cameras with uncoupled rangefindres qualify?

Being forced to consider tables or the lens scale for DOF rather than a DOF preview in the viewfinder, or measuring from subject to focal plane if the photograph requires it would get the juices flowing. Of course, no matter what is decided, it can always be changed if the need is perceived.

Anyone else have any thoughts or justifications for their thoughts?

lars
12-15-2003, 09:13
The more I think about it, the more I think it should be limited to rangefinders. As I said before, there are plenty of other venues if you want to post a weekly or monthly photo taken with a non-rf camera. So put me down in favour of RANGEFINDER ONLY. Or at the very least, RANGEFINDER/VIEWFINDER ONLY.

...lars

MP Guy
12-15-2003, 10:41
I am readyfor this project!! My camera is collecting dust and It could do with firing the shutter.

back alley
12-15-2003, 11:46
using rf cameras only would be a logical extension of the forum but i'm thinking that maybe at the beginning we would be more open and less ridgid with the 'rules'.
in fact, i would prefer little or no rules up front and let's see where the projects take us.
there are so many factors that could be taken into consideration, i.e. film- do we shoot colour or/and b&w. slides or prints. lab work accepted or only our own darkroom work. and photoshop - do we allow it?
my preference is to leave it all open to the individual members. as time progresses maybe we could set up some rules or have specific guidelines for each month.

like this month will be rf, b&w only, shot with a medium wide lens. (this is meant as an example only)
let's discuss what others think about being loose to start with and see where we take ourselves.

joe

jdos2
12-15-2003, 13:15
(Pulls the ripcord on the Mamiya Universal with the huge 75mm lens, sound of a chainsaw revving)

I'm ready!

oftheherd
12-15-2003, 13:26
Sounds like the best way to start backalley photo. I think you are right.

Hey jdos2, do you see the shadow of the Super Press 23 next to you? Ready to go and try to smoke the Leicas and such.:D

taffer
12-15-2003, 13:34
IMHO, I would keep the "open source" mind. Limiting too much just at the beginning doesn't seem to make much sense...

personally, I wouldn't consider limiting to own darkrooms and slide/print. Somebody could get outstanting pictures using Scala and be left out of the project because it was a B&W print only...

Let's give it a try first and there will be time to decide later...

MP Guy
12-15-2003, 14:24
Hey, I only have a 35mm lens on my Leica now :(

Back alley,

When you finalize the rules and theme for the project. Post it in the News section and lock the thread. This way the rules are final and we can get started. I am ready to rock and roll !!!!!!!! Maybe I can use my TX-1 as well :)

MP Guy
12-15-2003, 14:26
You guys may want to spread the word aboutthis project on phot net and other sites. the more participants the better.

Doug
12-15-2003, 17:22
I certainly think the project should encourage members to dust off and use their RF cameras, if they haven't been all along. It's our common point of interest.

I'd include "direct view" cameras; those that have viewfinders but no built-in rangefinder. And even such as the Bessa-L which use an external viewfinder.

Jorge, a 35mm lens on a Leica is a most useful combination! Go to it! :-)

Since the forum is open on film type and processing details, I think the project should also be open. Even to including a digital workflow for post-film processing. B&W or color requirement could be part of the monthly assignment.

But should the project require shooting film?

MP Guy
12-15-2003, 18:25
Is this going to be a cpmpetitioon based as well? If so, we can creat polls so people can vote :) But the fact of just using some nice gear is exciting. Picked up some tmax and ilford film on the way home including an orange filter. Lets go !!!!!!!! Come on Back Alley !! weher be da rules? :D

Rich Silfver
12-15-2003, 20:52
Very exciting project indeed. I'm not big on rules but in this case I feel that if we allow any camera there will be nothing to set this apart from all the hundreds of photo competitions out there.

For that reason - to be unique and to attract people both to the forum AND to showcase what rangefinder cameras can do - I would for this to be rangefinder cameras only !!

(Alternatively: 'any camera' everyother month and 'rangefinder only' everyother month).

back alley
12-15-2003, 22:03
hang on boys!

i will soon lay out some guidelines for the monthly projects.
i think the general consensus is that this will not be a competition.
friendly sharing but no win, place or show!

down the line if some want - we can have a competition seperate from the projects -

joe

p.s. jorge, how do i lock a thread? i think i need a moderator's manual.

joe

oftheherd
12-16-2003, 05:23
BTW jdos2, I have never held a 75mm or seen side by side comparisons, is it bigger than the 50mm? I have one of those I am quite fond of.

jdos2
12-16-2003, 07:55
The 75 is bigger than the 50mm, also brighter by a 1/2 stop- but the most striking thing about it, based on lens design diagrams from Mamiya, is that although it is very similar to the 50mm in design, the front and rear elements are completely flat. Makes for an interesting look.

It took me about 3 months of waiting on e-Bay to get a 75mm (with camerass!) for about $400, and sadly the lens had been dropped AND otherwise somewhat abused- the coating on the front element is a bit marred. After a trip to the shop, though, the shutter is as good as new (it had spit a blade). The coating doesn't hurt it very much, and I'm looking for another...

How about pictures with the subject of Photography for a project?