PDA

View Full Version : How many unused cameras do you have?

pedro.m.reis
05-19-2006, 15:44
I've just realized that i have some cameras i've never used.....
One Oly 35, a Zorky 4k, an Yashica A-1, a Lubitel-2, one canon a-1(i have 3).

And you? How many working cameras do you have that you never used??

bmattock
05-19-2006, 15:46
I have used every camera I have if they work. I don't always use them, it would be impossible. But I have my favorites...

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

peterc
05-19-2006, 16:22
I voted 10. However, they are inoperative for various reasons. My old folding Polaroids are idle because the film no longer exists.

Peter

Jason Sprenger
05-19-2006, 16:23
I've got a few that I bought and inherited that are so obviously in need of a CLA that I haven't used them.

All of my "working" cameras have been used. Most are being used these days.
Cameras are not collectibles to me.

DougK
05-19-2006, 17:43
I nterpreted the poll as asking how many currently unused cameras I own, which explains why I said more than ten. Other than three which are broken, though, I've run at least one roll of film through them all.

NoTx
05-19-2006, 17:47
The concept is just wrong:)

XAos
05-19-2006, 17:58
All your unloved Folders & TLR's are belong to us!

My Himatic 9 has a broken shutter. I'm too lazy to load up some film in the Minolta 16II. I quit using my old Promaster SLR the day I got my PZ-20 body. Other than that they all get used once in a while.

pedro.m.reis
05-19-2006, 18:01
The concept is just wrong:)

Yes i know, i'm trying to build up a "camera fund" for the needed :D

raid
05-19-2006, 18:06
I have used every working camera I own except a 4x5 camera that I still need to try out one day when I have learned how to laod 4x5 film sheets.

sf
05-19-2006, 20:03
None - I use all of my (1) camera(s).

Now, parts of cameras is another story.

I never use the 65mm or the 45mm aux. finder for the RF645.

Silver
05-19-2006, 20:06
Raid...you should load the 4x5...you'll love it.

raid
05-19-2006, 20:28
Raid...you should load the 4x5...you'll love it.

It is a heavy Linhof Color Kardan 45S rail camera with a convertible Schneider lens. I have a 120 back for it and the whole outfit looks really nice. Maybe I should give it a shot.

ErnestoJL
05-19-2006, 20:50
Not that easy to answer....

I have several cameras which are under rebuilding / restoring / repairing. That´ll take some time... then are still unused... the count actually is 7 cameras.

There is another one that´s going to be a 35 mm pinhole camera as soon as I can do a decent pin hole on steel ribbon. So there is one more.

There is another one, a Zenit 12 XP which is still unused...

And there are some others bought to be "donor cameras" which itself won´t take any picture ever... so count another three...

Ok, all the other cameras are in working condition and I use them from time to time, but I have my favourites!

Ernesto

NoTx
05-19-2006, 21:01
Yes i know, i'm trying to build up a "camera fund" for the needed :D

If you have unused 4x5's I am needy :angel:

JeffGreene
05-19-2006, 21:06
I use my XA, Mamiya 6 and RD1 for pleasure, and a Canon 20D for work! I will be listing a couple of cameras here shortly. They are:

2 GSN's

1 14e (haven't decided yet)

jan normandale
05-19-2006, 22:06
not enough

Gid
05-19-2006, 23:44
I use them all, but the Canon F1 gets the least use. However, I will take it with me if I think there is a risk of being mugged - it makes a fearsome weapon :)

Ergo
05-19-2006, 23:46
I use them both a lot.

Dougg
05-20-2006, 00:29
Well, I was going to say "none" but had to immediately correct myself because I still haven't used the Elikon (XA-lookalike) I got a while back from DVD Technik. Oops, and then there's also the Bolsey the camera repair guy gave me. And, yeah, I've never used the "Time" camera that was a freebie when I subscribed to Time magazine a couple decades ago; just a simple plastic box camera that takes 35mm film. Has a curved film plane presumably to match the curved plane of focus of the simple lens. So, I'll admit to three!

Edit: Oh my, I totally forgot the Yumeka (you maka good photo?) Another simple 35mm that features a radio and earphones to enjoy those times between photos! Special 1985 offer for $9.99 from Porter's Camera Store. Never used it.

mac_wt
05-20-2006, 00:54
I own a complete Minolta 101 srt SLR set (including bellows, 3 lenses, 2x converter,...) that I never used. There are also some small fixed lens rangefinders that I bought cheap, but haven't used yet (Cosina, Chinon, Yashica). Recently I bought a Minolta with f:2,8 lens, because it was sold with original box and paper work. When I came home, I found an identical one in beter shape in a drawer. I'm not proud of this :(

Wim

Geo
05-20-2006, 03:02
My Asahi pentax 6x7 camera is the one that I love but never use,
despite the fact that I have 5 lenses with this cam.
I made fantastic photos with the 6x7, but find it too much work nowadays.

Pherdinand
05-20-2006, 06:39
i used all of them. There are stg like 8 right now.
They all satisfied me to some level, of course i had different expectations to different cameras.

amateriat
05-20-2006, 12:51
Well, there's four, but with a qualification:

- Polaroid 95, late 1950s. My dad's, which hasn't had a roll run through it since before he died (1977), and never will, since Polaroid stopped making film for it some time ago

- Kodak folder (1920s vintage), given by a friend a while back. No film made anymore for it either (well not officially, but I'm not going out of my way to find any re-cut/re-spooled product).

- Kodak Brownie Starmite. In sorry shape, but I like having it around. It's happy-snap days are long-gone too.

- Polaroid Spectra outfit (camera, remote control, filter kit). My mom's, which also saw little use (of course, she was a painter so she had an excuse). I might buy a pack of film for fun soon, but I'm in no real hurry. If it was a "Holgaroid", on the other hand, I'd likely go on a tear with it.

- Barrett (reluctant collector)

- Barrett

Wimpler
05-20-2006, 12:56
I am deeply ashamed to say I must have like 200 unused. But I'd say atleast 70% are plastic 35mm things.

nrb
05-20-2006, 13:16
I use all of them, unless they are out of order. Some are used more often, however.

mike_j
05-21-2006, 00:26
I don't use the historical prewar (WW1 and 2) stuff as most of them have sticky shutters and many use obsolete film. I keep them for the occassional talks I do on the subject. Post war stuff does get an occasional outing with Yashica GTN and Olly XA heading the most used list.

Richard Black
05-21-2006, 05:50
If they are working, I use them. I have only one that does not work, Mockva 2, and it sits on the shelf.

Alec
05-21-2006, 06:16
I have put at least a couple of rolls in each of my working cameras...

... save for one, a mint, full-plastic Minolta Dynax 505si which I couldn't help to rescue from a second-hand store for the princely sum of 32 euros - with a view of handing it to one of the kids when they might want a lightweight film SLR to use with one of the dozen Minolta lenses I have. Not sure it will ever happen.

And I still have to list the Bessa L with a stuck shutter on ebay. But it doesn't count.

The Kiev and my older son's Petri (thanks again, Brett) do see quite some use, though.

harry01562
05-21-2006, 15:31
What a scary poll :bang: :bang:

Why remind us of the toooo many cameras we have that we just don't ever get around to using.

I try to use some odd items once in a while, but still have 3 or 4 dozen that just haven't been on a shoot in years. Not because they aren't working, or aren't good shooters, just because I don't have the urge to use them. And this isn't a very good time to think of unloading, with the market rather full (no smile that looks like it's bursting...)

Harry

pvdhaar
05-21-2006, 22:27
I've used all my cameras. That doesn't mean they all see the same amount of action, but there's really no point in having them if they don't work..

sf
05-22-2006, 00:50
If I sunk $6000 into my dream Leica outfit : A la carte, M3 styled MP with Noctilux. . . I'd have one unused camera. The Leica.

SHERPA
05-22-2006, 02:21
My xpan2 camera is the one that I love

lubitel
05-22-2006, 02:52
I havent used my Argus C4, my second Fed5, and a recently aquired pentaflex. I am planning on it though. ;)

PeterL
05-22-2006, 03:16
I'm not counting the defective Leica iiic that is now in bits and pieces in the hands of somebody I'm getting more and more impressed with as his operations continue. I've never used that one, but it will get lots and lots of use as soon as it's back ! That's why I buy cameras. I fondle them a bit and then I get the urge to start using it. So I buy it and I go out and use it :) Life is simple :)

Peter.

Sonnar2
05-22-2006, 05:00
New arrivals (last week: http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Praktiflex.html#Exakta_1954)
makes me feel like christmas. The best thing than is, after unpacking, checking the controls, looking for the shutter and so on, is inserting a film and feel how it works photographing with it.
A photographic machine is a tool. The best for a tool is to work with. A tool which was never used to work will evolve depressions and cease function soon. This is expecially true with old shutters and stuff...
A lens stored in the dark will go blind like a human eye (fungus and stuff)
With exception of one, all of my cameras (~40) do work. Some of them don't work 100% but good enough to put films through.

cheers Frank

Al Patterson
05-24-2006, 10:37
Three of the inexpensive rangefinders haven't been used because I haven't fixed the light seals yet, and my AE-1 hasn't been used since I bought an A-1 to replace it. I did use it for close to 20 years though.

planetjoe
05-24-2006, 11:13
All your unloved Folders & TLR's are belong to us!

ROFL; that was hilarious.

I easily have over 10 unused cameras, which only now I'm seeing as a problem of sorts. I just boxed up some of my unused cameras to clear out space in the baby's room...after all, he has to wait until he's at least a year old to start chewing on camera bellows. Into the box went the Kodak Tourist(s), Polaroid Reporter, the F-1N with a need for a new shutter, the Brownie Hawkeye...in short, most of the non-RFs and those cameras I inherited nearly for free.

A travesty that I can't seem to get around to shooting w/all of them. There's a keen distinction, though, between cameras I'm not using and cameras I've never used. I actually have very few of the latter type, so I guess my vote corresponds to "currently unused" cameras.

It's of no small significance that my broken/in-work FSU RFs are still sitting on a shelf within easy reach. Only an FSU owner would put perfectly functional MF folders into a box and keep the busted FEDs easily available.

j.

Jerevan
05-24-2006, 11:14
It all depends... but I have two cameras that are totally unused by me - one basket case Rollei 35 (anyone need a parts camera or have too much time on their hands?) and a Balda Baldix 6x4.5 folder that's got a sticky shutter. And then I have 8 or 9 less used ones, which means they got one or two rolls thru them in the last year. Most used RF is the Leica IIIf. Otherwise the Pentax Spotmatic gets the "most used" vote, overall.

Magnus
05-24-2006, 11:44
I have an unused... really unused, new in the box Leica MP with 50mm Summilux which was bought on the day my son was born. I will pass this on to him when he has become of an age that he will be able to use it.

I still have the M2, also brand new in the box, never had a film run through it which my father bought for me on the day of my birth. I do go through all the motions every now and again to keep it "in sync"

Cooki
05-24-2006, 14:41
The only camera I own that I have not used is a 1902/3 Kodak vestpocket B . The other 28 have all been or are being used regularly. People do look at you funny when you are shooting with a couple of old box brownies and an XA.

dexdog
05-26-2006, 20:50
I have 3 unused RF cameras. Two Contax 1a cameras (one overhauled by Henry S.) and one postwar Jena Contax III (also overhauled by Henry S.) that I have not put any film through. I also have 3 Canon film SLRs that have seen only limited use in the last 10 years.

stet
05-26-2006, 21:56
None, but of course one or two always gets neglected for a few months. The Rapid Omega was riding pine for a few months, but then I reread John Brownlow's site the bit about street shooting with a strobe and 4x5 and got inspired. I'm pscyhed, but my arm is always sore.

lmd91343
06-16-2006, 11:51
I have five working cameras that I have not used: My father's '50s vintage 8mm movie camera; my father's early model polaroid RF; my grandfather's early model polaroid RF; my mom's ancient TLR; and my father-in-law's Kodak 35 RF. I don't think I could get film for anyof them except the Kodak RF.

Oops, I forgot my other Canon QL17GIII that I bought because it has a serial number of 000003.

I also have a B&H Filmo that I have not used in almost 30 years. I also have a mint F1N that I have only used 3 or 4 times. I forgot about the broken Argus RF and the low serial number FED1 in the display cabinet.

Only 32 total cameras. I don't know, why my wife complains! ;)

Phoenix Phil
06-18-2006, 16:31
I have a Ensign Autorange (supposedly shoots in both 6x4.5 and 6x6 formats but I wouldn't know since I haven't put film into it. I also have a Watson full plate view camera that I converted to an 8x10 which I haven't shot. And then the last one that I have not put film in is an old Canon autofocus camera (sort of like a SureShot but smaller and with a faster lens).

Now if I count the cameras that I have neglected for over a year, the count would go up by another four cameras. This is one addictive habit.

David Murphy
06-18-2006, 16:35
I am embarrasssed to say ! Some of them are for sale here right now! If I don't use them within a year or so they have to go !

Gabriel M.A.
06-18-2006, 17:01
I'm interpreting the question as "lately", and not "ever".

colyn
06-18-2006, 18:33
I bought a Leica IIIc with bad curtains. Once it is fixed I'll start using it but for now it is my only unused camera.

narsuitus
07-11-2006, 21:25
I have 6 unused cameras:

One that belonged to my mother
One duplicate film SLR that will only be activated when a working SLR is broken beyond repair.
One Polaroid that that uses obsolete film
Three broken 35mm point & shoot cameras

Nachkebia
07-11-2006, 22:15
1 - Nikon F65
2 - Nikon FM3a
3 - Nikon F6

dll927
07-13-2006, 12:08
When I saw this thread, I ran into a semantic problem. By "unused", do you mean never used, or not used any more? Of the cameras I've bought in the last 30-35 years ALL of them have been used and were usually at some time my main camera. On the other hand, I do have some that haven't been used in a long time.

I also have quite a collection of "FSU" cameras = Zorkis, Kievs, and three FEDs. Most have only been used to see if they operated reasonably correctly. I don't need those for taking pictures, although some are pretty good bets for that, too.

Magnus
07-13-2006, 12:17
I have one brand new black paint MP a la carte which I periodically only take out of the box to "keep fit"
It has never taken a picture, has never been outside and is carefully put back in the boy after a range of shutter speeds.
This along with a 50 summicron I bought new on the day my son was born (all documents dated on that date+ a leica memorial certificate thingie with my sons name on it), I plan to give it to him on some birthday depending how fast, and if he gets into photography.

dll927
07-13-2006, 15:28
Are Leicas cheaper in Germany than in the U. S.? Somehow it doesn't add up to buy a camera like that to use as a paper weight. Even Leicas are meant to be used, although I have head of those who just admire them. I do use mine.

Imagestreet
07-13-2006, 15:38
Umm..

Nikon F100 - not used in 2 years (D100/D200 so why bother)
Bronica ETRS - not used in 3 years (Too expensive to scan, too much hassle)
Pax 35mm rangefinder - not used in 9 years (got me into rangefinder photography now sadly ignored)
Folding 6x6 Zeiss Ikon - not used in 15 years (my Dad's old camera)
Ricoh KR5 SLR (lives in the car boot) - not used at all

Should really sell the Bronica / F100 but often still worry about whether this digital thing will really catch on....

Rafael
07-18-2006, 08:26
I've used them all. But that said, I have very few.

mdelevie
07-18-2006, 08:29
I discovered an Agfa Clack in my parent's stuff, and immediately grabbed it. This is a MF snapshot camera, kinda like a Holga, but it has a really neat curved film surface. (I was going to say "film plane" but it's not planar, it's curved) The idea is that this feature overcomes the poor performance of the meniscus lens, so it shouldn't suffer from vignetting or corner softness.

But to my discredit, I've never found out. :(

My least-used cameras are an early Voigtlander Bessa (I got the Bessa RF, so no need for guesstimation focusing with the original Bessa), and a Canon EOS Rebel Ti that I keep around just in case my digital EOS camera takes a dump during a wedding. I dutifully load film each time, then unload it afterwards... I've never needed the backup, thank goodness.

Mark

HuubL
07-20-2006, 07:02
Last count is 18. Only two I never used, the Brownie from my uncle and the recently re-acquired Petri V6 (an emotional thing as it was my first SLR that I got from my wife/then girlfriend). My father's pre-WW2 Agfa folding camera, the Rolleicord Va, Canon EF, Canon AE1, Canon A1, Canon EOS10, and Canon D60 were all heavily used in their time, but have subsequently been succeeded. I now mostly shoot a Canon 20D. Oops, forgot the Canon Ixus z70, that I used on trips to Egypt and Rome.

Recently, after I was so lucky to get two M4s (one is used regularly, the other is mostly sitting and being pretty), and an MDa+Visoflex, I got a serious bout of RF-GAS. I'm now braking in a Leica IIIc, a Canon IVSb and a Leica IIIf RD ST. Next week I expect the Nikon S2 to arrive. Here (http://website.leidenuniv.nl/~linthorsthjm/test/rfs.jpg) is my current set of RFs.

JohnL
07-25-2006, 13:16
I *have* used all my cameras, all of them regularly at one time or another, but there are two that I only use rarely now: the EOS3 and the Nikonos III. I also am only occasionally using the 10D right now. Actually I'm trying to sell it to raise (some of) the wind for a 30D. The G5, the 5D and the M7 I use several times each per month on average.

carlo39
08-14-2006, 05:47
I have 5 cameras (Canon 5D, Canon AT1, Rollei SL66, Canon Digital Ixus i5/SD20, Panasonic Lumix LX1) that I use within their limits (no sport photo with rollei or compacts!) and I'm waiting a Bessa R3M that I'll plan to use for my evening photo tour!

Hi,

Carlo

raid
08-14-2006, 07:06
Here are the cameras that I have not used yet:

1. Linhof Color Kardan 45S
2. Retinette

Raid

Dougg
08-15-2006, 00:12
I have not yet used my Elikon (near copy of an Oly XA). But, showing good intentions, I loaded film in it the other day. Today my Contax IIIa and 1.5/50 Sonnar arrived back from CLA and they feel gloriously smooth and solid... in very great contrast to the sticky/plasticky Elikon. I think I will exercise the Contax machine first!

Stephanie Brim
08-24-2006, 21:23
As strange as it may seem, I can actually say I've used all the cameras I still have. I may not have been happy with the results enough to keep the negatives, but I've used them.

dexdog
09-29-2006, 16:25
I have 4 unused cameras

Contax Ia
Contax If, because it is broken
Contax III, hate the bulky meter
Contax IIIa, hate the bulky meter

Everything else gets used, albeit on an occasional basis, particularly the old
35mm SLRs such as the Canon FTbN, Konica AutoReflex first model, and a Canon T70 that I inherited from my dad.

bsdunek
09-29-2006, 17:26
I'm a collector too. I have a big display case full and more in boxes waiting for display space. I just enjoy the old stuff, not that any one is very valuable. No Leicas or Contaxes. :cool:

dexdog
09-29-2006, 18:09
I like your avatar. I use an expressionistic picture of Dex, the dog, for my avatar. Judging from appearances, I think that Dex is a Corgi-German Shepard mix. Corgi proportions, especially Corgi legs, fast as a bullet, tons of stamina and all muscle, but 36 inches from nose to base of tail, and 60 pounds. He's a great dog, got him from a county shelter in 2000. Great personality, and really intelligent.

If he had not already been christened Dex by the shelter folks, I probably would have called him Turbo.

Rayt
09-29-2006, 18:23
I never use my MF gear anymore but haven't sold them because they are now not worth nearly what I paid. I have an Mamiya 6, several Rolleicords (Maxwell, Fleenor CLA'd), and several 500C/M's. Just hate to see them go.

Pherdinand
09-30-2006, 06:33
Dexdog - i didn't know there were different versions of the Contax I.
What's Ia? and If ??? :eek:

x-ray
09-30-2006, 09:15
All my unused cameras are decorators in my office and home. All are vintage box, folding, graflex slr, 11x14 view, an 8x10 studio camera on an iron and wood stand and1933 Rollei's etc.

flashover
10-02-2006, 10:16
Did a re-count today. Wow I am down to two camera (oh my mistake I didn't count the ones in the mail) Five cameras. Leica IIIa, Yashica-A, Yashica GT, Pentax ME and a very nice looking (in the picture) Kiev :D

dexdog
10-02-2006, 10:23
Dexdog - i didn't know there were different versions of the Contax I.
What's Ia? and If ??? :eek:

Yes, there were several different versions, sometimes called 1a through 1f, although Hans-Jurgen Kuc, author of "On the Trail of the Contax" calls them types 1-6. Anyway the cameras morphed a bit over time- the earliest versions did not incorporate shutter speeds below 1/25 sec, and did not have the folding foot on the baseplate. Also, the earliest model or two had a traditional rangefinder mechanism utilizing front silvered mirrors, rather than the slender glass prism design similar to that found in the Contax II and later models. The infinity lock button did not show up until the type3/1c version. Other than this, I think that the changes were largely cosmetic.

The oldest version is the model 1a, and exhibits one, or less commonly two, raised bumps near the front focusing wheel. Don't have a link to a web page that describes the various versions in much detail, but Cameraquest has some info http://cameraquest.com/zconrf1.htm

Xmas
10-02-2006, 11:35
Hmmm
Does taking them apart count or running a film through for frame space regularity? Though I still have more than 10 unused, & I only have filters in post.
Noel

BillBingham2
10-02-2006, 13:05
And I was worried that it was just me with so many cameras not used. Most of them are from my father, but I am pairing down a few very shortly. Will post them here before going on EvilBay.

Thank God it's not just me......

B2 (;->

Stephanie Brim
10-02-2006, 13:09
If anyone is planning to sell a Spotmatic from their unused stuff in the near future I call first dibs. I need a Spotmatic and a SMC Takumar 50mm for something I'm wanting to do in the near future.

biomed
10-02-2006, 16:01
I have a couple that I have never used - Pen F, Late model Zorki-4, and a Fuji medical SLR. This is not counting my collection of old Kodak and GAF folders and box cameras.

Mike

gregg
10-10-2006, 19:14
They are all in use except an Olympus Stylus Zoom and Nikon FG. The Stylus went with me on a trip to Mexico this spring - the flash came in handy. The Nikon FG is currently in use by a friend's daughter for a high school photography class. They needed a manual capable film camera. Way to go school...

The other 7 cameras see regular action.

mfunnell
10-10-2006, 23:49
All my cameras are in working order, and I've used 'em all to take real photos ("for keeps", as opposed to test) at one time or another. I have several seldom-used cameras (an OM-20 that was purchased as a spare body for my OM-4T; an Olympus Stylus zoom that I used on a trip through the Midwest of the US 10 years ago but has hardly been used since; an Olympus XA-2 I "inherited" from my mother that hasn't seen real use in 10+ years). I also have one dSLR out on loan with a friend of mine and a Canon S1 IS digicam that's mostly used for video rather than stills.

...Mike

wlewisiii
10-10-2006, 23:55
None. I've put at least one roll through every functional camera I own. If I don't get to a second roll within 3 - 6 months it gets sold, traded, given away or what have you. Cameras that are bought knowing that they are non-functional have a different set of "rules" ;) Cameras that are non-functional when I thought they were when purchased get recycled :eek:

William

Bryce
10-11-2006, 13:26
As of last night, none. Finally got the old Mamiya TLR out and actually used it. Seemed like a good oportunity to make myself smile at my own expense... That's me draining the still, and my co-conspirator Brady enjoying a drink.

DMG
10-11-2006, 14:07
if it gathers dust, get sold it must..as yoda might say..speaking of which just donated a ricoh 500 to a travelling friend who will put it to use

JohnL
10-11-2006, 14:27
I *have* used all my cameras, all of them regularly at one time or another, but there are two that I only use rarely now: the EOS3 and the Nikonos III. I also am only occasionally using the 10D right now. Actually I'm trying to sell it to raise (some of) the wind for a 30D. The G5, the 5D and the M7 I use several times each per month on average.
Well, I wrote that back in July. Since then I sold the 10D but did not yet get a 30D. Not in a hurry. Maybe I'll wait for the x0D, where x>3. Maybe I'll take a deep breath and get an M8. The EOS3 and the old Nikonos are still just sitting there, but I don't feel I want to get rid of them ... not yet anyway. Would hardly get anything for them, anyway. If I do get an M8, will I still use the M7? Only time will tell ...

edho
10-15-2006, 02:46
I have used every camera I owned. I don't feel good if I have bought a camera and not to use it. As I use RF most of the time now, some of the cameras are now "retired" such as my Nikon F3, Ricoh GR1, Olympus XA2 and Konica C35. But they are still kept in good shape.:)

usayit
11-16-2006, 18:21
Voted 10+

Hmmm letsee.....

Canon digital and 35mm EOS system
Canon AE-1 and A-1 with couple of lenses
I have a collection of 35mm Pentax K-mounts and Screw mounts with lenses
A 645 pentax and 67 pentax medium format.
2 Canonets
A few odds and ends including a polaroid land camera and a couple yashica RF.
finally a couple Leicas.

The wife thinks I'm nuts....

egpj
11-16-2006, 18:26
Glad to say that I use every camera I own. Now some of them are more appropriate for some types of shooting then others.

sf
11-23-2006, 13:27
unused cameras...1. Canon AE-1 that sits unused in the shadow of the Bronica.

I'd trade it for something useful, but it is a family heirloom and I can't give it up.

Igor.Burshteyn
11-26-2006, 07:18
I rarely use my GSN anymore (kiev won in rf category as a picture taker), and oly stylus epic sits for already a few years in closet without excercising. So 2 cameras I guess. I do use 3 other cameras I have - oly om, kiev rf anf minolta 800si.

JeffGreene
11-26-2006, 08:10
I have two GSN's and a 14e, an Oly 35SP, a Canon IIB, a B&J Press along with my wall of shame. These days I feel guilty about not using these cameras. Most of my current efforts involve my RD1 (since 4/06) and my Mamiya 6 and M6. Here are some of the antiques from the wall of shame.

Robert
12-05-2006, 14:18
I have used all my cameras but when I buy a new one the previous cameras are stored. I haven't sold a camera in 30 years.

I use an Olympus E1, C50

Leica M6ttl, Minox 35ML both for B&W

I am thinking of using my G2 kit again with colour film.

Cameras I no longer use - Pentax MX, Rollei XF 35, Zenit E and a Mamiya C330f

kully
12-05-2006, 15:07
I don't use my

- Olympus 35 RC
- Yashica 35 GTN
- Olympus OM10
- Nikon F80
- Canon G5
- Yashica J
- Olympus XA2
- Olympus Trip 35
- Zorki Mir
- Some Jessops/Centon SLRs.

at all.

If anyone wants any trades for medium format gear - drop me a PM.

arbib
12-05-2006, 16:51
I have 2 out of 6, I don't use.

Nikon FTn: Too Bulky, but all works except ...The Meter !! (of course)
Contax IIIa (pre-war) Needs a Shutter Repair and CLA.

Most Used:

Canon D60,
Kiev 4a Film

Sometimes used:

Canon EOS 1 Film
Nikkormat FTn Film

jody
01-09-2007, 17:28
More than ten I don't use some Iv'e used once didn't like and just collect some like the brownie dont have film havent modified yet. Some link my Lynx 14 I have to fix. My goal is to use all once and rotate the ones I like thru my bag.

Robert Price
01-11-2007, 06:55
Film...
Argus C3
Argus 21
Argus 75 (x2)
Voightlander
assorted old Kodaks
Minolta 7000 & 9000
couple of poloroids
Old Yashika
FED
minolta micro's (x2)
Ducati ,Stuck shutter. (really need to fix this one)
Contax G2 (use)

They all work except for the Ducati.

Digital.....
Cannon sd 300 & 400 (use)
Cannon G5 (use)
Rolleiflex micro digi (use)
Cannon xti (use)

Pepe
02-01-2007, 07:24
Two Zorki 4's, two folding cameras from the 30's, A Yashica Minister D, a canon P&S and three or four digitals from 0.3 mp onwards

Trying to sell most of them, but unsuccesfully ....

The ones I use are an oly 35RC, minolta 600si and XG, and for digital a canon G3. I can't afford all that DSLR business :)

edit : yeah and that Minolta 400si in my sig.. totally forgot about it

Bryan Lee
02-01-2007, 08:29
Duahhh Im a totol idiot, I had one camera left I dont use as I sold of about 5 GSNs last year. The one I dont use is a Ruski Fed 2 ( I Think ) and I just picked it up and opened it to find half a roll of FomaPan exposed in it, Now I remember I was using last year around the house one day, well i will have to Chem it up and see if anything is left to see what the heck I was using it on......... :bang:

Its more or less a cool paperweight and If I remember right I was exposing some film to check the shutter, either way I get a idiot award for opening it.

Kent
02-05-2007, 09:08
I've got one camera I don't use. It's a Zeiss Ikon Voigtländer Vitessa 500AE electronic.
It's a rather nice cam in good condition, but I don't bother to find the right batteries for it.

EDIT: Now, I have the batteries and it's a darn good cam!

jan normandale
02-15-2007, 09:06
Pedro.. who put you up to this? Has my wife been talking to you??

caila77
02-15-2007, 09:09
I use all my cameras, in the past I had a camera that I didn't use (mamiya 645 pro) and I sold it

mbisc
03-06-2007, 09:02
Generally use all my cameras, but there are three exceptions:

- my grandpa's 1920s folder -- obsolete film format, and the lens is full of haze
- Minox knockoff from Porst (I think it's actually a Minolta) -- 16mm cameras suck
- Zeiss Ikon TLR (not sure which model) -- got it for $30 to use as a paper weight after I sold my Rolleiflex TLR (couldn't justifiy the cash locked up in it, after I decided that I wasn't going to use it anymore -- just don't like the format)

jvr
03-06-2007, 10:01
Well. I try to use all my _working_ cameras (I have a very old Kodak Autographic 3a Special that's been in the familiy since 1908 but the bellows are a bit leaky, so I don't even try to use it...).

Anyway, some of them are more or less stopped (I have to consciously takethem from the drawer and take a few photos - a roll maybe - just to keep them working). Apart from the odd P&S (a Yashica T4 and a Ricoh GR-1), I have four cameras I love but don't use a lot:

1) A Rolleiflex 3.5f from 1965 (I just don't get to click to the square format. I'll give it another try!!! So my Moskva 5 - 6x9 - gets more action on MF than the Rollei, as much as I love it)

2) A Nikon F-801s (used it much more before getting the CV 12/5.6 for my Leica and Epson, whenever I needed to go really wide. Nowadays, it either the R-D1s or even the M3 with the 12mm...)

3) A Nikon FM2n (if I want film on a smaller format, I pick-up my M3)

4) A Nikon D100 (since I got the D80, it gets less and less attention. But I just cannot let myself sell it. I would get pennies for it and image quality - RAW+Capture - is so good it can hurt. Better than my "old" Nikon D70s - sold without remorse)

Except for the Rollei (also been in the family since long ago), I should probbaly sell the rest but they give me such good memories!

rbsinto
03-06-2007, 12:21
Only two.
An almost pristine black Nikon F with a nice F36 motor and battery pack, and a very nice black Nikon F2ASwith MD-2 and MB-1 battery pack. Both are squirrelled away either to replace my street beaters (in the unlikely event they don't outlast me) or be sold.

ajuk
03-09-2007, 15:20
I never seem to use my XA2

350D_user
03-20-2007, 13:10
30+ unused cameras. All my bellows collection haven't been used (regardless of a couple being in a useable state), the Kodak Hawkeyes are unused, as is the Minolta Autocord... and the Polaroid/Land camera oddity.

I have three workers... the well-used 350D, "Eva" the Standard, and an Olympus Trip.

I'm currently eyeing up a Canon A1, a Minolta 9000, a Canon T90, a Zenit E, a UK Kodak Brownie 127 Mk3, and a Kiev 4.
Two problems for that lot though... funding and space.

Kent
03-23-2007, 11:53
Oh, yes, actually I have several cams I do not use.
I just didn't think of them in my first post, since I do so not use them!

Polaroid Land Camera (several models)
Kodak Disc cameras (several models)
Agfamatic Pocket (several models)
Agfa Isorapid (no films)
Kodak Ektra 200 (no films)
Edixa Zoom
Agfa Optima 535 (no batteries)

I would like to use the last one, though, since it seems to be a good cam.

Now, you might ask, why I own those cams. Well, they were just there...
Some I got from my dad, some of them other people just gave to me.

Kent

raid
04-06-2007, 20:41
The one camera that I "should use" is a Linhof Color Kardan 45S 4x5 camera with a Schneider lens. One day I will use this camera.

JimG
04-27-2007, 14:43
One, Graphics Aniversary (I haven't figured out how to use it yet). But it does look cool sitting on top of my camera display case.

Jason808
04-27-2007, 14:43
- Pentax ME Super SLR
- Canon AE-1
(I've gone to shooting digital for SLR)
- An old Toshiba PDR-M70 digital, 3MP, though it works fine and is kind of cool because it has a PC sync and in "landscape" mode, it focuses out to about 40 feet and the shutter is instantaneous. Makes an interesting action camera with the right subject.

It's sad because I LIKE all of these...

Jason808
04-27-2007, 15:04
1 - Nikon F65
2 - Nikon FM3a
3 - Nikon F6

I'll take that F6 off your hands for cheap.

Rob-F
04-30-2007, 17:19
Well, I've used all I have, but one that I won't use anymore is the Minox B. Seldom used is the Olympus OM2 I bought last year (I have only one lens for it). Also on the seldom used and I don't know when I will use them again are: Rollei TLR; Super-Wide C. Problem with the latter is the squinty viewfinder. Not used much but may see some use are: Nikon F3HP (don't care for the exposure display) and the Leica M3 (No 35 or 28mm framelines, though I may start putting aux finders on it. But why bother when I can pick up an M6 or MP?).

nikon_sam
04-30-2007, 22:37
I just pulled out a Nikon FM from the closet...I will be shooting some portraits next week for our church's website and I want to use a Vivitar 283 as a fill flash. The camera's being used because it can handle the 283's Trigger Voltage.
HEY!!! What a great excuse for having the older stuff...
I bought the camera because I just wanted it and never really put it to too much use.
I do feel a bit guilty having cameras that don't get used but they are paid for and I would never get back what I paid for them so I just hang on to them. Sometimes I think about selling some of the ones that are collecting dust and getting ONE body that would see daylight...

GoodPhotos
06-20-2007, 19:33
I'm gonna send my Retinette 022 to Kiwiland to have the shutter rebuilt and the finish worked on. It was my first camera and has led me to my avocation and vocation and deserves to be working again and used.

My Ikon doesn't get much use as my local lab can't deal with 6X9 negs and the flocking is deteriorating and ends up sticking to my film.

My Voigtlander Vito III doesn't get much use as I am still working on light sealing the bellows. (Otherwise a GREAT camera.)

All other cameras are for work (DLSRs) or play (IIIf, Rollei and SD700) and they all get a lot of workout.

I've sold anything else that I wasn't using much.

Steve Bellayr
06-24-2007, 11:49
One. A Zeiss Ikon Symbolica II meter inoperable but the case is perfect. Thrift store find.

Chris101
06-24-2007, 12:26
Let's see ...
Kodak Signet, broken
Agfa RF, broken
Rolleiflex 3.5 Tessar, spring in shutter broken
Rolleicord, bought for parts (but the spring didn't fit)
Burke & James 5x7, no wat to develop the film
Canon A-1, stolen

I use the rest, at least once in a while. So 6.

JOE1951
06-24-2007, 18:03
Most cameras I have that I don't use are broken rangefinders :-(

Contax IIa with 21mm biogon w/ viewfinder (camera is waiting for a pile of money to come my way to repair it) :-(

2 Olympus XA's, one has shutter problems, the other has film advance problems (do I repair to make one working camera or just buy another one and keep others for parts? More money I don't have). :-(

Also, Sinar Norma and Speed Graphic, work great and both get used, but presently, processing 4x5 is very problematic. :-(

Mostly use Nikons (F and FE2) Canon Powershot A80, and Nizos560 Super8(!)

kshapero
08-21-2007, 14:45
This too embarrasing to answer. Like asking an eskimo how much snow he has.

SolaresLarrave
08-21-2007, 14:51
That I can remember right away,

Yashica D
Nikon F80
Mamiya C200 TLR
Zeiss Ikon Nettar (medium format)
Canonet G-III QL17

The first two will go on the block sometime this year... They're really not getting any use. The rest of them... I like them too much to part with them! :)

TheHub
08-21-2007, 15:21
None. I buy cameras to use them, not *sniff* collect them.
If a camera doesn't fit a need of mine like walk-around medium format, pocketable 35mm, etc, etc. then it doesn't get bought.

Steve Bellayr
08-21-2007, 15:41
Currently 3. They are awaiting repair. All others are in the line-up. Some are starters others are designated relief or pinch-hitters.

cmogi10
11-24-2007, 11:32
Hmm
I use my DSLR, my film SLR doesn't see as much use as my Rangefnders but It still see's a roll of film a week or so. My Leica M6 and MP are in constant use and my M8 gets a lot of work as well. My little D-lux 3 is the "party cam" and is often out getting passed around.
so
I wouldn't have a camera if I wasn't going to use it.

fototammer
01-17-2008, 01:47
Some to repair, one just repaired and not yet used, two plastic things, never to use, three recently purchased, waiting for film. That's even more than the nine I put in the poll I see.

fototammer
01-17-2008, 01:47
Some to repair, one just repaired and not yet used, two plastic things, never to use, three recently purchased, waiting for film. That's even more than the nine I put in the poll I see.

fototammer
01-17-2008, 01:48
Some to repair, one just repaired and not yet used, two plastic things, never to use, three recently purchased, waiting for film. That's even more :mad: than the nine I put in the poll I see.

W Morgan
01-20-2008, 20:55
A Zeis Ikon Box Tengor...but it's had film in it for two years!

FallisPhoto
02-15-2008, 10:49
I have one, a Calumet monorail that I just bought. The reason is that the lens I ordered for it hasn't arrived yet and I will have to make a lens board for it. I suppose I could use one of my other lenses, from a Speed Graphic or an antique Ancso LF camera, but I'd rather wait and not swap lenses around.

MikeCassidy
02-15-2008, 13:12
'unused' as i bought it new or 'unused' as its sitting in a closet?

Dektol Dan
02-15-2008, 13:18
I have used every working camera I own except a 4x5 camera that I still need to try out one day when I have learned how to laod 4x5 film sheets.

Just remember that for a time Kodak hired more blind folks than anyone.

The film has a Braille like set of notches in the top right corner emulsion side up. They are cuts made in squares and triangles. That's the code for the film type.

Holding the film with thumb to the film's left side and middle finger to the right side run your index finger it along the top of the film. If you find the notches at the top right then you have the emulsion side facing you.

With the dark slide out insert the film in carrier.

In the light you may have noticed that the dark slides have a black painted side and a plain metal side. The plain side will have a braille like set of 5 pips (Riteway brand as an example, others may have more). Usually they are top right like the film code (but not always depending on brand).

Back in the dark you hold the slide as you did the film, and slide it into the carrier making the film light tight. Repeat the process for the other side of carrier.

After your exposure and before you pull the carrier from the camera reverse the dark slide so the black painted side is out so you know the film has been exposed.

Simple, no?

kshapero
02-15-2008, 13:35
As I type I am not using any of my cameras. So the count is 7. I am ashamed of myself.

Trius
02-15-2008, 18:02
And you? How many working cameras do you have that you never used??
Shut up. Why are you asking me this question?

NickTrop
02-15-2008, 18:37
Canonette the auto one - nothing wrong with it, just like others better.
An old Kodak folder someone just gave me - takes a weird film size
And a strange, long 110 "ITT" (yes, that ITT) camera someone gave me No interest.

I've become "the old camera guy" in certain circles. So when folks clean out their garage... Hey, "it's the thought"...

Three...

cosmonot
02-15-2008, 18:40
Beteween my father's stash and mine, we have more than 10 by a long shot. Those that haven't been used, or aren't being used, are mostly the ones that need some sort of repair, light seals, shutter work, etc. A couple just are obsolete, like my great-great uncle's 5x7 Seneca field camera. Beautiful camera, but no 5x7 film, no 5x7 film holders (all we have are glass plate & obsolete Kodak film pack holders). Maybe someday I'll graft a graflok onto it. Several others are in formats I would have no interest in even if the film was available: 110, 828, various flavors of polaroid, etc.

Murray Kelly
02-16-2008, 06:02
I seem to be able to use only one at a a time. Ergo all the rest (29) are unused.

Murray

Berliner
02-17-2008, 17:32
I have unused slr's. 5--Some good ones. A d-slr, too. Several serious p&s's also. The only cameras getting serious regular use are 2 m-mount's...

Charles Woodhouse
02-17-2008, 17:55
My god, I can't believe I counted them - 267, and they are almost all pre 1975 35mm with focal plane shutters(and two VP Exaktas). But 96 don't count because they are SLR's from a Kine Exakta round magnifier to a Leicaflex SL2Mot.
But I cheated and didn't count the few in boxes waiting for new shutters.

Chris101
02-17-2008, 18:29
I have four cameras that I have used into the ground - they no longer function, so I don't use them any more. Two RFs and two TLRs. I have two or three working cameras that I have only used once in the past year.

I answered 6 in the poll.

Charles Woodhouse
02-17-2008, 19:33
Should have read the post more carefully. More than half my 170 odd rangefinders have been used by me, and I currently have film in a Canon VL2/VT hybrid, an M5 and a 1942 Leica IIIc.

LeicaTom
02-17-2008, 19:47
hmmm......

I have (3) 1958 Minox B`s two chrome and one black paint - all three need a rebuild (new shutter blades)

My 1951 Leica IIFBD needs a new beam splitter and curtains - soon soon!

:D

Tom

merlin
02-21-2008, 16:58
None. I have but one, which I use.

projectbluebird
02-22-2008, 22:52
I limit myself to working cameras only, so I've used them all. There are a few I don't use very often, however. The Agiflight aerial camera springs to mind. 100' of 70mm film is a pain to acquire and process (but I've done it) but I think the weight is the largest problem, even with a strap ~20lbs. Carried it to the top of a mountain once, and once was enough. ouch.

everything else though, I try to use several times a year, funds permitting.

TheHub
03-21-2008, 19:20
I have a few SLRs I don't really use (FM, K-1000, SL, FTn.) I took my FM out for a walk yesterday but it wasn't that much fun since I'm used to RFs now.

ruby.monkey
04-21-2008, 06:11
I think I have about a dozen, of which two (an Olympus Trip 35 and a slightly knackered Spotmatic II) have been commandeered by my two-year-old son as favoured playthings, and the rest are either waiting to be worked on, or waiting to be broken for spares.

Those that work, I use.

Nando
04-28-2008, 07:13
I put down 1. I currently don't use my Zorki 1c but that's because it needs some repair work.

maigo
04-25-2018, 22:07
Gear Abandoned Syndrome:

Not yet used or used once or lost interest:

Olympus OM-2sp
Yashica Electro 35(3 or 4 of them)
Too many thrift store compacts and polaroids that people gave me.

Gear Apart Syndrome:

Broken, never worked, repair in indefinite progress, thought I could fix it.

Fed 3
Canon QL17GIII
Minolta Autocord
Kiev-4
Koni-Omega 200 Rapid M

I know there is more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerryMcC
04-25-2018, 22:53
I use them all, but the Canon F1 gets the least use. However, I will take it with me if I think there is a risk of being mugged - it makes a fearsome weapon :)

Good choice, I have one on display. My defence weapon of choice is my Pentax 6x7 :)

narsuitus
04-25-2018, 22:55
I have 6 unused cameras:

One duplicate film SLR that will only be activated when a working SLR is broken beyond repair.
One Polaroid that uses obsolete film

Updated 2018

I now have 9 unused cameras:
One that belonged to my father
One duplicate film SLR that will only be activated when a working film SLR is broken beyond repair.
One duplicate digital SLR that will only be activated when a working digital SLR is broken beyond repair.
One Polaroid that uses obsolete film
One broken mirrorless body

CharlesDAMorgan
04-25-2018, 23:25
I answered two as I have yet to use my Intrepid and my Pentax 67, but I plead that they only arrived within the last two days and I haven't yet had a chance. If I was being honest with myself, it's a lot more - my two Nikons are unused now, as is my OM2n, one Minolta XD7 and my Hasselblad. It's time for a clear out.

David Hughes
04-26-2018, 02:58
I would like to use them all but I can't, so only the 35mm ones get used these days.

Some can't be used but I know they work but I've no 127 or APS film.

Some might work but take glass plates and I can't be bothered to find a film back, and experience tells me that many sizes are nominal. There's versions of 6 x 9 cm f'instance. And if I had a film back I'd probably find the bellows had pin holes or the shutters were out, etc, etc.

Others I'd like to use but they need impossible repairs, like my 1930's Exakta needs the mirror replaced*, and so on.

Regard, David

* It fell out and broke one day.

gnuyork
04-26-2018, 03:41

It's not too bad... just have to use the notches to make sure you know which side is the emulsion side.

Dralowid
04-26-2018, 03:45
These days I use Ixus or Nex and M6.

Gathering dust:
6 black ltm Leicas
SLMOT
Konica Pop
Retinette
...and around 100 8mm cine cameras...

shimokita
04-26-2018, 03:51
A few years ago I purchased a Pentax SP-F because it was the first camera I used extensively... but never bonded with the finder... Still have it as well as a selection of SMCT lenses: 28 f/3.5, 35 f/3.5, 55 f/1.2, 105 f/2.8 & 135 f/3.5

Love the lenses...

Chuffed Cheese
04-26-2018, 04:05
I use all of my cameras intermittently, but I will say that I just performed a massive purge and got rid of 2/3rds of them this past month. Used that money to consolidate my digital Leica setup and it feels good. Too many were shelf queens that weren't getting enough attention. Need to move along my large batch of point and shoots so that's the next step. Problem is, those little fellas constantly pop up because people have no idea what they're getting rid of, lol.

css9450
04-26-2018, 04:57
I've not used my Nikon S3 2000, which is a little embarrassing but I haven't wanted to be the one to put the first scratch on it. I don't think the previous owner (a member here) used it much at all. Its immaculate. So my S2 remains my Nikon RF workhorse.

I recently bought an Agfa 6x9 120 folding camera, partly because it looked like an interesting camera (and I always wanted to try something larger than 6x6), and partly because it had a very old roll of exposed film in it I was dying to develop. Turns out, the film was completely blank, the camera's lens is seized at 15 feet, there are pinhole leaks in the bellows, and when you cock the shutter the blades open up a little pinhole leak right in the middle until I trip the shutter and then its light-tight again. A pity too since the shutter speeds all sound good and the camera is in great cosmetic shape. But I have not used it.

zuiko85
04-26-2018, 05:22
I don't really know, voted 10, probably about right. Some may have been used once or twice when I first obtained them but really, I don't think that counts. One old Kodak that uses a roll film no longer available has been used by loading cut to size photo paper in the darkroom, one shot at a time, but than has been two or three years ago.

davidnewtonguitars
04-26-2018, 05:30
I have 4 working cameras and use 2 of them regularly. I should sell the other 2 soon, I think.
There are 10 or 20 cameras on my "love to buy and try" list.
I should list those as ones I've never used.

Edit: I have sold some cameras! I have a new situation and will post again.

Phil_F_NM
04-26-2018, 05:41
All of my cameras, asides from a couple new acquisition parts cameras, work. I don't use them all but I have. Well, all except my two 16mm motion picture cameras, and that is simply because I can't afford film. I don't think I've ever had a camera which I acquired and then didn't use. I don't believe in shelf queens or collector's items.
Phil Forrest

jsrockit
04-26-2018, 06:42
Anything I don't use, I sell. I don't collect and I don't buy for hypothetical situations. I get anxiety having expensive stuff that I don't use. :)

mich rassena
04-26-2018, 06:46
I started out with the objective to use all my cameras. I thought it was silly and wasteful not to.

Now, I realize a major portion of the cameras I own actually cost less than a roll of film and development. Not to mention the cost of paper, developer, fixer, and my time.

I still don't consider myself primarily a collector since I buy users only for the most part.

Lewis Francis
04-26-2018, 07:47
As a thrift shop / flea market enthusiast my original plan was to only buy cameras that I would actually use, but then I realized I could adapt lenses and that plan's now shot all to hell. Am slowly working my way though the collection, tomorrow I plan to shoot a 1936 Kodak Art Deco Six-16 folder for the first time.

Greyscale
04-26-2018, 14:12
I use all of mine...for something.

Dogman
04-26-2018, 15:23
A lot. I have almost a mini camera museum around here. Or maybe I'm just a hoarder.

Some items here were family member's cameras and I still have the Brownie Hawkeye my parents gave me for Christmas one year. I've kept the first new Nikon F2 I ever bought (1974) even though it looks like hell from over 15 years of daily newspaper use and abuse. Those and a few others are sentimental keepers, unlikely to ever be used again. But many of the others are old, heavily-used film cameras that are worth so little it's not worth the effort to try to sell and ship--I've checked.

Pentode
04-26-2018, 15:38
I have three Japanese rangefinders from the ‘60s in the closet that I bought in a package deal at a flea market lest year. I haven’t gotten around to sussing out modern battery equivalents for them yet. The information is readily available but I haven’t taken the time to look for it.

zuiko85
04-26-2018, 17:08
Also depends on what you call a camera. I have perhaps 20 homemade pinhole cameras. Various experiments that also had various results, not all worked out like I hoped. So do I count them also? I didn't add them in to the count of unused cameras.

webOSUser
04-26-2018, 17:25
Kodak DX7630 - Busted
Nikon D90 - Replaced with a FF Nikon dSLR.
Fuji Finepix S1000fd - Camera has no image buffer. Could get used to it.
Nikon EM - Busted.
Canon S1200 - Replaced w/S1400

Steve W

dct
04-27-2018, 00:11
Never used = none.
Actually not used (or no more used) = around 10.
Given the fact I stopped using film cameras in 2016, I have a bunch sitting around.
Next up: reactivate one or two of them and get rid of all the other film cameras.

giganova
04-28-2018, 05:58
I have two Minox 35 ML and an Olympus mju II that I thought I would always have me ... but in reality, when I want to take pictures, I take my Leica M4 or Mamiya RZ67 with me. I'm not a spontaneous "snapshot" kind of guy, I guess.

seany65
05-12-2018, 09:17
At the minute, the unused cameras I've got are:

1 Nikon F301, 1 Welta Perle 6x9, 1 Welta Weltax and 1 Gevaert Gevabox 6x9.

All but the Weltax have films in them and will be used fairly soon. Before I use the Weltax I'd like the viewfinder's 6x4.5 frame sorting out and I need a rangefinder in metres. Once they're sorted (I may just 'muddle along' with the slightly malfunctioning frame) I'll shove a film in and use it.

Robert Lai
05-12-2018, 11:35
Personally, I find something that is broken to be incredibly annoying. I won't rest until it has been corrected. Thus, I never have any non-functional cameras. In this way, I've done my bit to keep Don Goldberg, Gus Lazzari, Henry Scherer, Sover Wong, Frank Marshman, and many other skilled repairers in business.

If I still can't get along with the camera even when it is 100% functional, then it gets sold.

What I have left is a collection that I use. I will admit that some cameras are my favorites, and get more use than others. I also get into little waves. I'll use all my Nikon SLRs at a go. Then I'll switch to TLRs, and so on.

Phil_F_NM
05-12-2018, 11:44
All of my cameras are "unused" while I'm being distracted by the computer, et al.
Phil Forrest

davidnewtonguitars
05-12-2018, 11:48
I have a Zorki 1 that is in true "excellent +" condition. I have shot 1 roll of film to test it when I got it, none since. I exercise the shutter occasionally. I think of it as a back-up to a Leica IId that I keep full of film.
I may sell it, or keep it, it only cost $139 (shipped) including a Jupiter 8 with perfect glass. It is neat to think that a very good camera and lens can cost so little now-days.

steveyork
05-23-2018, 08:07
If I don't use something in a year, it gets put on that big auction site.

I like to have at least 6-7 working cameras at one time, having been in a situation where I had to scrounge for cameras before a trip.

I like to have to have 4 or so totally different cameras for variety. Bored easily.

johank
05-23-2018, 10:21
I don't use any of my analog film cameras anymore, they are 4. My still film cameras all get aired. I have a few at service since they broke and a few that waits for repairtime but as they come back they will get a tour with film and light.
Recently I loaded some 16 mm and 9,5 casettes. My 1936 Contax was aired today.

Shelfcameras is not my style.

rfaspen
05-23-2018, 11:06
Define "unused".

Seriously though. I have a bunch that are unused. Some because they're actually broken, some because they're "acting up", and some because of poor ergonomics. And some just because I have a lot cameras and it takes a while to get around to them.

My current crop of cameras is the result of both active collecting and passive accumulation (I'm gifted a substantial number of "old cameras" by well-meaning people). They are 98% film cameras.

I once derived satisfaction from collecting cameras partly because I could use these cameras as well. I still think that's fun, but I don't have the time to really do that in the way I originally intended. So, now I'm reducing the "collection" to a carefully curated number that is practical for my life and lifestyle.

At one time I had it in my mind to try to collect one example of main camera types: So one stereo camera, one TLR, one MF SLR, one plate camera, one German RF, one Japanese RF, one "spy" camera, one Box camera, one MF folder, one 35 folder, and I could obviously go on and on.

I need to say, I'm no longer an active collector. Any further acquisition of photo gear is motivated by usage. For example, I may pick up a 75mm lens for my Leica kit because I'm interested in using the focal length for portrait work. I am not interested in tracking down a Hecktor 73/1.9 to complete the focal length range of LTM lenses in my cabinet. Of course I would not refuse one if someone were to gift it to me.

Doug
05-23-2018, 14:10
...I'm no longer an active collector. Any further acquisition of photo gear is motivated by usage. For example, I may pick up a 75mm lens for my Leica kit because I'm interested in using the focal length for portrait work. I am not interested in tracking down a Hecktor 73/1.9 to complete the focal length range of LTM lenses in my cabinet. Of course I would not refuse one if someone were to gift it to me.
You could sneak around the Hektor by getting the current CV Heliar 1.8/75mm, as it looks to have the same optical formula. M-mount though.

Last year I donated a Pentax dSLR to the high school photo program, so that's one down. I have several dozen film cameras no longer used, all serviced as needed, so I need to figure a disposal program. I never actively collected, they just accumulated!

Cyriljay
05-25-2018, 07:06
I have nearly 4 cameras

Hasselblad
M6
Xpan 2
Nikon m5

They are just doing nothing and for few years they are just loaded with films and my other working ( using ) cameras are M digital. and I always go into Digital and that is why I am less concern with the Negative cameras.

rfaspen
05-25-2018, 13:56
You could sneak around the Hektor by getting the current CV Heliar 1.8/75mm, as it looks to have the same optical formula. M-mount though.

Last year I donated a Pentax dSLR to the high school photo program, so that's one down. I have several dozen film cameras no longer used, all serviced as needed, so I need to figure a disposal program. I never actively collected, they just accumulated!

I didn't know there was a possible relationship between the CV lens and Hektor. The Hektor is rumored to be a decent performer; not only for its era, but even now.

I'm really very casual about picking up a 75 though. Its only likely to happen if I stumble across a good opportunity. Basically, I have a mental list of "wants", but I'm definitely not actively looking for anything these days. Acquisitions are chance luck opportunities.

As for paring down the "collection". I too have donated cameras to folks who have indicated an interest in film photography. Unfortunately, I've learned that some of the younger people aren't as serious as they appear at first. I've gifted some quite nice cameras and lenses that I fear have been lost (possibly even trashed :eek:). On the other hand, the cashier at my local grocery store is very appreciative of the Canon EOS system I gave him several months ago. I've been warned that prints are coming......to be honest, I can't wait.

"Passive accumulation." That describes the process nowadays. I don't seek or ask, but the cameras still find me. Goes with the reputation I guess :cool:

ptpdprinter
05-25-2018, 14:59
The only camera I don't use is an Olympus OM4, which is a backup to an OM4Ti, which has never given me a problem. I more frequently use my OM1 which I will never part with. The OM4 has been CLAed and is in excellent condition, but is still hardly worth the time and effort to sell. I am actually pretty lean, with only a Minolta Autocord and a Linhof Technikarden in addition. I am not a collector. I suspect there are quite a few people with unused camera that they picked up from time to time thinking they were interesting or for a project that are now not worth the time and effort selling so they accumulate.

jsrockit
05-25-2018, 15:34
Nope, none not in use... right now I only own two cameras. By the beginning of July, I'll be back up to four and all will be in use.

ptpdprinter
05-30-2018, 12:52
It is interesting to look at the poll. Most users appear to be at one end of spectrum or the other - user or collector.

besk
06-02-2018, 20:27
At least 20. Too many to count. I am going to start selling --- someday.

Godfrey
06-04-2018, 09:56
Still way too many.

G

NickTrop
06-04-2018, 10:10
Down to two unused film cameras -- now largely displays: Pentax PC35 AF film point-and-shoot and a Fujica Compact Deluxe fixed lens range finder.

seagrove
06-04-2018, 10:28
I have never been a collector of cameras preferring to use whatever I had. The most I have had at anytime is 4 - a pair of Olympus OM-4, a Yashica Electro35 GS, and a Yashica 124G. Loved my OM-4 bodies (although I did sell them in favor of autofocus for Nikon F100), the Yashica I will always keep as it once belong to my dad, and sold the 124G as I could never figure out how to shoot "vertical" (lol) with it. Today, I have only two - the Electro35 GS and a Fuji X100S since I retired.

Peter Wijninga
07-06-2018, 08:33
As long as I have more unused shoes than unused cameras, I'm not worried.

rfaspen
07-06-2018, 10:34
As long as I have more unused shoes than unused cameras, I'm not worried.

Then I'm in serious trouble. I have two pairs of shoes: a dress pair, and an everyday pair. Looking down, I can see that I need a new pair of everyday shoes....

*rock-climbing shoes don't count, do they? I have plenty of those.

dourbalistar
07-06-2018, 15:20
Then I'm in serious trouble. I have two pairs of shoes: a dress pair, and an everyday pair. Looking down, I can see that I need a new pair of everyday shoes....

*rock-climbing shoes don't count, do they? I have plenty of those.

I call my La Sportivas "fine Italian leather shoes". I also have more of them than dress shoes. :D

pyeh
07-06-2018, 16:39
I knew a woman who said her goal in life was to try every sport in the world just so she could buy the right shoes for each one.

Pioneer
07-08-2018, 10:44
I use all my cameras. It may take me a year or two to get around to all of them but if they work, they get used.

I do have a few large format lenses where the shutters have become a bit sticky from lack of use but I usually try to exercise most of those at least once a year.

capitalK
07-08-2018, 12:47
I have been thinning the herd lately, keeping only those I really like and which don't have sentimental value.

I'm still over 10, but not as many as I once had.

Baby of Macon
07-08-2018, 15:40
I have less now because I was photographing a classic car show last weekend when a kid let the handbrake off a car which was parked on a slope. Said car destroyed two of my nikons and my two F2.8 zooms before hitting me. I'm ok but the cameras are not :(

Phil_F_NM
07-15-2018, 16:03
I have less now because I was photographing a classic car show last weekend when a kid let the handbrake off a car which was parked on a slope. Said car destroyed two of my nikons and my two F2.8 zooms before hitting me. I'm ok but the cameras are not :(😨
That is crazy. Sorry for your loss and any injury.
Phil Forrest

bhop73
07-20-2018, 14:56
I put two, but only because one doesn't work, and the other uses an obsolete film (kodak folder from 1921 130 size film). I've used every other camera that I have.. which is quite a few.

edit: now that I think of it, I have at least three that i've never used because they don't work.

joe bosak
08-25-2018, 14:15
I buy with use in mind, however unrealistic that might be, and I always test cameras within a few days (for digital) or weeks ( in the case of film cameras where i may have to source film). After that they may languish in a cupboard unused for periods i don't like to think too much about, but if they are too annoying or awkward to even contemplate using again, i get rid of them. Anything i have, on the whole, I will eventually get round to using again, one day.

Veggies
08-25-2018, 15:40
Too many. Time to sell some.

FrozenInTime
08-26-2018, 02:18
*rock-climbing shoes don't count, do they?

Just bought my first pair after being away from any climbing for 30 years.
New house boat mooring is only a few minutes away from the indoor wall at Ratho .:)

M9 had been away for so long getting sensor replaced, then languished unused and forgotten that I decided it was time to sell. An OM-1n and MX also went at the same time. All three cameras sold within hours of being posted.

Cyriljay
09-14-2018, 09:24
I have taken out my Hussy and finished the film loaded (left unfinished a year and a half) The reloaded it with a new film and leave ready to go out to shoot again soon.

oftheherd
09-14-2018, 12:26
I have been thinning the herd lately, keeping only those I really like and which don't have sentimental value.

I'm still over 10, but not as many as I once had.

Watchit! :D :D :D

jsrockit
09-14-2018, 12:28
I use them all... except my Nikon EM. Also, my X100F tends to sit right now.

Peter_S
09-14-2018, 13:16
1. Contax T I bought ridiculously cheap and that serves as backup for my T3 (:

beltz6
09-28-2018, 14:35
While I have used every camera in my collection, one I regard as retired at this point: an Argus C-3 (brick) handed down by my dad. The rangefinder is just too out of calibration to get decent focus. I've fiddled with it for many hours but have given up. Not all from it is lost, though: I now adapt the Cintar 50mm lens to a Sony mirrorless body and get great results with it.

bayernfan
10-08-2018, 17:56
1. Contax T I bought ridiculously cheap and that serves as backup for my T3 (:

Contax T. the one compact I want yet just can't seem to find.

Takkun
10-08-2018, 21:43
after seeing johank's answer, I should amend mine. Never had a still camera I didn't use among the too-many I've acquired by various means...they all have had a few rolls or cards run through them, including the D2h I was recently (and bizarrely) gifted.

But the one I haven't touched is an 8mm cine camera, a Canon 1014XLS, also gifted to me under strange circumstances. It begs to be pulled out and used, but the cost of film, processing and telecine has put me off.

giganova
11-09-2018, 12:39
I have a bunch of Minox 35, Olympus MJU and other point-and-shoot cameras because I always think that I need to keep one of these tiny 35mm cameras in my pocket. I also have a mint Nikon F3, which I have never used. In the end, I always take one of my M4s because lets face it: they are fabulous!

Michael Markey
11-09-2018, 12:47
I tried to sell one today
A black Pentax SL in mint condition
Couldn’t get a good enough price (maybe I paid too much in the first place ) so it stays
It has a roll of HP5 loaded so I guess that’s a hint to use it again

lxmike
11-09-2018, 13:14
In truth l have far too many cameras, far too much GAS and very little time to use them:o

Sumarongi
11-09-2018, 13:22
Goodness! I belong to the 25 % :o

nickthetasmaniac
01-28-2019, 22:42
I voted '0', but come to think of it I do have a 500EL/M that has never been used. I got it recently as an unwanted part of a kit with alongside a 500CM and SWC/M. It works but needs a battery converter.

Other than that, I have a number that I don't use often (SP F, 35RD), but none that I've never used.

E.M
02-08-2019, 05:54
I have 4 Nikons and 3 Leicas . I have used all but one in the past , mostly an F2 and F5 . Now I use an M6TTL and sometimes a D3 . The camera I don't use is an M6TTL millennium , just go through the shutterspeeds from time to time .

dtcls100
02-08-2019, 07:10
I try to use all of my cameras at least once every two years. I also regularly exercise the shutters of all of my cameras and focusing and aperture rings of all my lenses at least once every two months.