PDA

View Full Version : Limit uploads in gallery ?

MP Guy
11-25-2004, 22:44
I see a lot of uploads to the gallery lately. So far I am doing fne on disk space. No big deal. But does too much take away from constructive critiques? Having said that, Should I limit the uploads per day?

RML
11-25-2004, 23:02
I voted for "no limit" because I think there should be no limit as long as capacity and performance of the system aren't in danger.

However, perhaps we all should look more critical to our own photos and remove those that are, though nice to look at, of a lesser quality and standard than you have attained by now. I assume that we all improve over time, and it seems unnecessary to me to keep all those old "inferior" photos.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying any member is inferior to any other member! I'm talking about comparing the quality of your own photos to eachother, and removing those that no longer make the grade for you.

Pherdinand
11-26-2004, 01:04
Well, i was a bit afraid to click on the 3 per day -option, but i see i ain't the first one:)
I'd go for a limit - on one hand, because of disk space and what Jorge said, too much is less. On the other hand, most of us are not that productive to make 3 truly great photos every day. I am not, that's sure.

Of course, in the case of Remy, it's a bad idea coz he has lots of new material that he certainly SHOULD show us:) so the "per day" limit is not the best solution...sorry, have no better.

st3ph3nm
11-26-2004, 02:08
I've voted for no limit on a per day basis.

Not that this is an issue for me, obviously (I haven't started a gallery yet), but I do know that I tend to scan batches of shots. May not be taken at the same time (often they can span months). So then I tend to upload to photo.net (for instance) in similar batches. So you'll get nothing for a month or two, and then bam! A bunch at a time.

That make sense?

I wouldn't be adverse to a limit on total number of photos, if that becomes necessary. Nothing in the world is infinite, why should here be any different? :) And as others have said, it'd encourage self editing.

Cheers,
Steve
(all my 2c Australian worth)

taffer
11-26-2004, 02:13
I went for 5 a day, but would have preferred 4. Why ? Cos is the size of a row in the gallery page :)

I use to batch scan as well and sometimes find myself with +15 decent shots after a couple of void weeks, however I seldom like them so much as to post them directly here, so some of them go to pbase, or even remain unscanned waiting for a rainy evening :D

rover
11-26-2004, 03:14
I agree there should be a limit, and I broke my own rule yesterday. It is only natural to look at the images on the front page of the gallery and enjoy/critique those. Therefore it is a benefit for those images to stay on the top page as long as possible so they can get as many views as possible when they are newly uploaded. It is fair to everyone to allow their images to be seen as much as possible. If a lot of people up load in a short period of time, well this doesn't work, but you can not control everything.

I voted for 5.

Now, as for yesterday, I took a look and saw that we had a few slow days. There were a couple images that were showing on the front gallery page for more than a day, so I counted and uploaded 8 I think. I broke my own rule of 5 which I think is being courteous to the other members, but I made an attempt to form my own limit based on what I saw at that moment.

taffer
11-26-2004, 03:39
Noticed that they are 5 pics per row on the main gallery but 4 on the members one so I guess 5 is a nice number.

Rover, is it all sold ? Really ? :) Hope the R3a will show up soon.

rover
11-26-2004, 03:47
Originally posted by taffer

Rover, is it all sold ? Really ? :) Hope the R3a will show up soon.

Just what I have offered. Sold, paid for, packed and shipped. I sent a lens and my Yashica Mat for CLAs, and I am waiting on the R3a to join the now more abbreviated family.;)

peter_n
11-26-2004, 04:16
I voted for 5 so that newly posted images will stay in the "new" gallery for a while. No limit and one person could fill that gallery if they had a lot to post.

digitalox
11-26-2004, 07:45
I voted for 3 - was thinking about this already. I think more pictures will be seen this way.

What about a link to the next most recent? So that we could flip back through the last 100 uploaded? That might be cool.

Brian Sweeney
11-26-2004, 09:21
A lot of members, like myself, upload in spurts. For that reason, I voted for "no Limit".

I tend to upload based on a lens, and I hope this is useful to other people. Three shots from one lens would not "cut-it". I do not think that I have ever exceeded 10 uploads in one day, but have come close.

rover
11-26-2004, 10:59
Originally posted by digitalox

What about a link to the next most recent? So that we could flip back through the last 100 uploaded? That might be cool.

Scott, at the top of the gallery page there is a button to view uploads from the last day, week, and some other sorts I believe.

HBC
11-26-2004, 19:00
would limiting the zise of the picture uploaded help? i notice that some uploaded photos are pretty large, would say 600x400 be a better chioce?

Brian Sweeney
11-26-2004, 19:03
At least with my settings the gallery starts with a smaller image with less detail (compressed) then asks me "Click on image to view larger image". The smaller image loads quickly, and must be less than 150K. The larger image is at higher resolution. I also noticed when using my Mom's 56K dial up that the image compression was automatically shifted higher to speed the download process. Is this a Profile Setting, or is it automatic in the software?

st3ph3nm
11-26-2004, 20:44
Ahhhh, now that I read more posts on this, I'd like to change my vote. Which I can't, but still....

Keeping a diverse number of photographers on the recent lists is a good idea. So I'll switch to 5.

How often do you guys see an opinion swayed on the internet!

Cheers,
Steve

digitalox
11-26-2004, 20:54
Thanks Rover I hadn't noticed that up there!

Doug
11-27-2004, 01:23
I agree totally with Remy that we should all review and delete stuff that no longer needs to be there... and also make sure our uploads are carefully chosen. Given that discipline, I'd vote for no limit as I too upload in bunches.

rover
11-27-2004, 03:15
Yup, I deleted a bunch a few months ago and will go back and do more. I wonder if there can be an option when we upload , a box to check or something, that will give us the choice not to display an image in the main gallery? Then you can upload to your heart's content as long as you only display what ever the magic number is.

Now, the 5 shots I uploaded yesterday are gone, can I upload 10 today?

Just joking. :D

Brian Sweeney
11-27-2004, 05:54
This is a Question for Jorge:

Is it possible to set the software so that it limits the number of images from each user displayed as recent posts? That would allow more members to have images displayed and not require a limit for members who upload in burrts. Anyone seeing an interesting recent upload can click on the thumbnail to be taken to the rest of the members images.

MP Guy
11-27-2004, 10:52
Wow, close race.

digitalox
11-27-2004, 12:04
i demand a recount. hehe. :)

fraley
11-27-2004, 13:39
I took a look at my use of the resources, and decided it's time to purge. Also seems like a good opportunity to start using albums and organize a little. My only hesitation is moving previous pics into albums - that will post them to the 'new' page and I don't want to annoy people or hog the new page..

sfaust
11-27-2004, 14:44
Originally posted by digitalox
i demand a recount. hehe. :)

And I want officials standing at the computer of all RFF users to make sure than the actual member himself is voting in the poll, and not someone else.

Otherwise, trash the poll since the results are unreliable, and just use 5 per day since thats what I'd vote for :D

Brian Sweeney
11-27-2004, 17:12
Hmmm... It seems that I am the Top Poster. Bunch of new lenses. Gotta tempt Joe you know.

DOUG WHERE ARE YOU!!!

OSCAR? Using that F2 Too Much?

Charlesfoto and Kris, if Quotas are applied they should be waived for you.

rover
11-27-2004, 17:27
Originally posted by Brian Sweeney

Charlesfoto and Kris, if Quotas are applied they should be waived for you.

Can I get an Amen!!!

Their quota will be a daily minimum.

:D

GeneW
11-27-2004, 17:48
Originally posted by fraley
I took a look at my use of the resources, and decided it's time to purge.
I did the same. I purged all my old stuff that no one looks at any more so I could start fresh with newer images.

Gene

digitalox
11-27-2004, 23:42
I just want to say that I think keeping some limit will help the gallery. Sometimes images go through it so fast I just can't keep up. Hence some images get buried and I never view - I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this. Bursts can always be spread out over a week.

Just my .02.

marceloporto
11-28-2004, 04:40
I have also voted for no limits on the daily upload, because like most people I tend to do it in "blocks". There should be a total MB limit per user, though, and up to each user to manage it...will force the more profilic contributors to clean up from time to time, but it is only to be expected, as disk space is not infinite.

Doug
11-28-2004, 13:46
Thanks for the encouragement, Brian! I have to admit not posting any new pics in the gallery for a few months, nor have I browsed the gallery in that time. RFF has just gotten so popular and busy I don't have time to keep up with it all. "Too much" discussion; "too many" pictures! Knock it off, guys! :D

siverta
04-26-2005, 10:43
I think a limit on uploads is a necessity. Im getting a Blitzkrieg-feeling in the gallery sometimes.

Sivert.

Solinar
04-26-2005, 10:54
I voted for 10 per day, but admire anyone whose work merits more.

FrankS
04-26-2005, 11:17
I voted for 2 per day and admire anyone whose work merits more!

schaubild
04-26-2005, 11:21
A limit seems reasonable to me. It forces you to concentrate on the important shots instead of shotgun publishing.

nwcanonman
04-26-2005, 11:36
Well, I took the middle-ground and said 5.
Sometimes a shooter may have just gotten his film back from an adventure and really wants to show off. If he has to wait another day, the "fire" may go out and he won't post at all. JMHO.

Todd.Hanz
04-26-2005, 12:00
Too many uploads at one time, this has always been aggravating to me, why? (I'll say what everyone else wants to say but hasn't) the fact is we want people to see our images, comment on them, love them, hate them.... I don't care but please see them!
I voted for a limit of 5, after looking at the gallery, I'd change it to 3, 3 images would allow 5 different photogs to show their stuff at once, seems fair.
I have uploaded more than 5-6 before, no more, and I will also be purging some old stuff as well.
Todd

GeneW
04-26-2005, 12:24
I guess someone has recycled this old poll.

The new one is here: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=71063#post71063

Gene

don sorsa
04-26-2005, 13:17
Hey, I've voted twice in one day. I haven't done that since the elections last November.

RayPA
04-26-2005, 13:21
I guess someone has recycled this old poll.

The new one is here: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=71063#post71063

Gene

Yeah, this is getting confusing. I'm getting dizzy! ;)

ray_g
04-26-2005, 15:21
I think it would be important to limit the size of the uploaded photos, to files more suitable for web viewing. That would make them open for viewing more quickly, be seen more easily without having to scroll up/down and side-to-side, and save disc space.

back alley
04-26-2005, 15:38
ok, this is getting too damn confusing!
we have 3 or so threads on this subject and your messeges are getting lost in the confusion.

as this is an old post i'm closing it. go vote on the new one if you have not yet voted there.

joe