PDA

View Full Version : Princelle, 2nd Edition - 1st Impression

doubs43
11-21-2004, 09:14
(This same post is on "Russian Cameras". I did a "Copy & Paste" as I thought it would also be appropriate here.)

Yesterday, the mailman delivered my copy of Princelle's new Second Edition of "The Authentic Guide to RUSSIAN AND SOVIET CAMERAS".

Compared to the first edition, it's thicker and printed on a much better quality paper. The difference in weight is very apparent.

There's considerable new material and the illustrations are better than before. New information includes light meters and other accessories. Manufacturer's logos are illustrated.

My first impression is that this is an MUCH improved volume and worth having IMO, even at what I consider a rather steep price.

Walker

rover
11-21-2004, 09:37
Available on Walmart.com of all places!!!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2022426&cat=20696&type=3&dept=3920&path=0%3A3920%3A18712%3A18744%3A20696

taffer
11-21-2004, 13:37
Wow, seems there are now plenty of options available to get that book (and cheaper than camerabooks, where I have a pre-order as the last copy was sold), what to do what to do...

taffer
11-22-2004, 14:22
Well, sometimes one has to do what one has to do, that is, help the small business fight the huge machine so it can survive and fight again tomorrow...

That is, order confirmed from Camerabooks, and to save a bit on shipping costs, I just ordered Peter Dechert's book on Canon Rangefinders in the same order :D

So I guess whatever I am in the future, it will have a 'poor' before ! ;)

Krasnaya_Zvezda
11-29-2004, 12:20
Originally posted by rover
Available on Walmart.com of all places!!!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2022426&cat=20696&type=3&dept=3920&path=0%3A3920%3A18712%3A18744%3A20696

Against my better principles, I placed the order for this book with Wal-Mart on Thursday for $23.77, received a notice that it would be delivered on Sunday (yeah right). Today I get a message that there is a delay in delivery and it is not known when the item will be available. I had the option of cancelling the order, which I did, and ordered from Amazon for the same price, who stated they will ship sometime in February. I would rather wait on it from Amazon than wait on it from Wal-mart. I would have bought from a smaller outfit, but I was put off by the $59 pricetag. You guys must have more money than me...
Anyway, we shall see if Amazon truly comes thru, I'll let you know in a couple of months.

rover
11-29-2004, 12:47
Yeah, I got the bad news from Walmart too. I need to decide what to do, I may not order now if it won't be delivered until February.

taffer
11-29-2004, 12:52
Originally posted by Krasnaya_Zvezda
You guys must have more money than me...

What ? Dont' you still know that you must save money for what REALLY matters and that indeed a bread crumbs+water diet is good for your health ?

:D ;)

Indeed I was so happy to have a so fast answer, to have a real person after the email, to had to wait a week less than she told me first, and to have found the book for Canon Rangefinders as well that I almost completely forgot about price (and shipment, ouch!) :)

Krasnaya_Zvezda
11-29-2004, 15:57
Originally posted by taffer
What ? Dont' you still know that you must save money for what REALLY matters and that indeed a bread crumbs+water diet is good for your health ?

:D ;)

I don't mind the diet; but I value my life. I had just told Mrs. Zvezda about the new black Fed 5C, and the Jupiter 12 for my Kiev 4, and then there's the baby that should be here on or about Dec. 14 that I have to worry about.... so I have to cut costs where I can!

RML
11-29-2004, 20:55
So the looks aof the book are improved. We all expected so much; it's 2004 after all.

But what about the contents? Is it worth shelling out $25-60?

taffer
11-30-2004, 01:05
Originally posted by Krasnaya_Zvezda and then there's the baby that should be here on or about Dec. 14 that I have to worry about.... so I have to cut costs where I can! [/B]

Hey Congrats !!! :)

rover
11-30-2004, 01:50
KZ, DINK life ending in a couple weeks? Wow, what a change you are in for...

the greatest change you could imagine!

Congratulations.

Krasnaya_Zvezda
11-30-2004, 06:16
KZ, DINK life ending in a couple weeks? Wow, what a change you are in for...

the greatest change you could imagine!

Congratulations.

I certainly appreciate the comments from you, Rover, and Taffer as well. Actually, this is not a DINK situation, this is the rare but becoming less so DIOKFAPMGAIAAGA : "Double Income One Kid From A Previous Marriage Grown And I Am A Grandfather Already"

Now married to a younger woman who desires her own child, I am starting all over again. Man, I KNOW what's coming.... but you are right, it's going to be great.
And when my first child came along, all I had was a Minolta X-700 SLR. This time, I am better prepared.

Thanks again for the kind sentiments.

rover
11-30-2004, 07:12
Oh my god, I am just 4 years into my son's life, it is the most wonderful thing in the world, but he is wearing me out. I don't know if I could do it again!!!

Krasnaya_Zvezda
11-30-2004, 07:56
Oh my god, I am just 4 years into my son's life, it is the most wonderful thing in the world, but he is wearing me out. I don't know if I could do it again!!!

Ah, but you are on easy street right now, and for about 10 more years, until all of his hormones go on Red Alert. That's when the REAL fun begins! Enjoy him while he is still little, cute, and thinks of you as his best friend. I'm sure you are aware that there will come a time when you will be seen as the enemy.

doubs43
11-30-2004, 15:13
"I'm sure you are aware that there will come a time when you will be seen as the enemy."

Yep, that's true. However, given time and some real life experiences, he'll come around full cycle and you'll be amazed at how smart you've become almost overnight. Until that day you wouldn't stand a prayer against a rock in the smarts department.

Walker

Krasnaya_Zvezda
11-30-2004, 18:35
You are so right--- funny thing, my daughter (21) tells all of her friends how smart I am, but she still won't listen to anything I say. Go figure!

rover
12-01-2004, 17:34
I did another search tonight, I had no luck at all finding this book anywhere. Amazon is still taking orders with no indication of when it will be delivered and most other links I found just souced the book from Amazon. Still a bummer.

rbiemer
12-01-2004, 20:31
just looked at the walmart site again and I am amazed! If I order today the book will be delivered on the 28th of November! I think I see if they can send a lottery ticket as well. I have a good feeling about the numbers I have just picked.:bang:
I'm going to order from camera books.com.
I've been trying to get this for a year+ so the extra $ will be worth it to me.

RML
12-01-2004, 21:00
Is this book for real? Or is it vapourware, like the never-appearing digital film roll?

Walker, hwo is the contents of the book? Is it worth the money? Maybe you can write a review for us. I think many will be mightily interested in it.

doubs43
12-01-2004, 21:47
RML, give me a few days and I'll try to be more specific in evaluating the book. IMO it's worth the money but other's mileage may vary. If you don't have the first edition, it's definitely worth having.

Walker

denishr
12-01-2004, 22:51
Walker, please do post some more about the book!

Denis

rover
12-02-2004, 01:22
So, what exactly does it say about the Iskra?

taffer
12-03-2004, 03:09
Ahhhh... at last, 2+ years after it...

the holy grail is here.

I've died and gone to heaven :angel:

doubs43
12-03-2004, 08:58
So, what exactly does it say about the Iskra?

It says that the Iskra was inspired by the 1954 Agfa Super Isolette - Super Speedex in the USA - and bears the name of the clandestine Marxist newspaper created by Lenin in 1900.

Iskra 1960 - 1963; 38,722 units made.

Iskra-2 1961 - 1964; 6,118 units made.

It further says the Iskra is a camera with exceptionally smooth operating controls and is fitted with a very high quality lens. There was also a microscope version made of the Iskra-2.

Walker

Krasnaya_Zvezda
12-15-2004, 11:57
I received an email from Amazon today, this book will not be available from them after all. My order is summarily canceled. So there goes the fiction of the 23 dollar Princelle, 2nd edition. First Walmart, now Amazon. It was too good to be true.
Camerabooks.com's site still says they have it in stock, so they now have just sold another one, the giant stores loss is their gain...

rover
12-15-2004, 14:35
I bought it from camerabooks.com, and while I was there I picked up a couple others too. Might as well save on the shipping by buying a few titles. Shipping was really fast too, good service.

taffer
12-15-2004, 14:47
I really couldn't be more happy with the service from camerabooks. Since the first moment Petra kept daily contact as she was waiting for more copies of the book to arrive in a week. Finally a single copy arrived sonner and she inmediately packed it (great packaging, btw) and forwarded it to me together with the Canon RF book I ordered to 'share' shipping costs.

Books arrived perfectly in 5-6 days.

This episode and the one with that CD I ordered after reading Frank's post of the coffeehouse made me real happy to be helping the small business. You simply don't get that kind of customer service from Amazon.

Of course, the $17 Hicks and Schultz book on Amazon is too good to ignore it (goes for 50 euros on a book store in Barcelona ! :eek: )

Oscar

Edit: opps, that 'sonner' should read 'sooner', I'm a bit biased, I wonder why... :rolleyes:

rover
12-15-2004, 15:46

Edit: opps, that 'sonner' should read 'sooner', I'm a bit biased, I wonder why... :rolleyes:

Now there is a slip for you.

Pinch yourself Oscar, it isn't a dream.:D

back alley
12-15-2004, 15:49
you have not seen good packing until rover has sent you a package that he has packed.

it could be a second job for the boy!!

joe

rover
12-15-2004, 15:52
I keep telling everyone that I want to be promoted to the mail room and they think I am joking. I am really having issues with a white collar life. Yesterday I was contemplating looking for a job as a cook.

back alley
12-15-2004, 15:56
good job bad hours.

Krasnaya_Zvezda
12-15-2004, 16:29
I bought it from camerabooks.com, and while I was there I picked up a couple others too. Might as well save on the shipping by buying a few titles. Shipping was really fast too, good service.

Already they beat hell out of the Big Box sellers, I have been notified by camerabooks.com that my book has been shipped, the same day it was ordered. Should be here on the 21st, in time to give it to myself for Xmas. (Now there's something I'm looking forward to: Christmas Eve by the fire, a vodka in hand, my 3-week old daughter in my lap, reading to her from The Authentic Guide to Russian and Soviet Cameras.... what could be better?)

rover
12-15-2004, 16:33
At 3 weeks old her vision will be just clearing and you will be able to read the book to her, and let her look through the viewfinder of your camera. Might as well start her early.

RML
12-15-2004, 20:34
I saw the Princelle book offered here in Holland for some 54 euros....

RML
12-15-2004, 20:37
And I see camerabooks is "temporarily sold out" now as well.

rover
12-16-2004, 01:57
As soon as I bought mine the listing changed to sold out. It seems though that they have a steady supply chain, so check back with them I am sure it will be back in stock soon.

taffer
12-16-2004, 02:10
Remy, 54 euros is a fair price for that book. Have in mind that shipping it from the US goes for HEAVY money, it's simply a matter of weight.

Seeing the book and all the interest around it, was pretty clear Amazon didn't have idea at all of what they were pricing at $23...

Sure CB will be receiving more very sonn, er.. I mean.. soon ;)

Oscar

rover
12-20-2004, 04:10
I would just like to mention a warning to all of the innocents, who have yet purchased this book, but wish too.

It is EVIL!!!!

I have been an anti FSU guy for a while, just too many quality issues brought up by the loyal FSU troops. I thought, how can these guys be so happy with stuff they have so many problems with?

Well, a confession, I have liked the look and style of the Kievs. A Contax IIa is my dream camera so this should be understandable.
And, I did have an LTM J8 for a little while, I didn't like the non click stopped aperture ring so I sold it, but the images were really nice. Oh, and William has me really high on the Iskra with that Tessar type lens.

But then you open this book and see a GOI Leningrad, and nice photos of Fed 2s, and those old Zorkis. Hey, now I have a thing for the Pentacon 6 and its partner in crime the Kiev 60. And what about all those lenses? Now I can identify the manufacturers mark, I wonder which one made the best versions of the Industars?

This is a BAD book...very bad!

:angel:

Tim
12-20-2004, 05:53
... A Contax IIa is my dream camera....

Really? wanna buy one?
:angel:

tim

Tim
12-20-2004, 05:55
Actually, thanks for the warning about the book. I saw it the other day in a bookshop in town, and resisted buying it. I admit to a fascination with the FSU cameras, I DON'T need to further that.........

(Repeat to self: I am trying to offload cameras, not buy more......)

tim

rover
12-20-2004, 08:49
You can tempt me Tim, but I don't think my cash reserves will allow me to say yes (yet).

Krasnaya_Zvezda
12-22-2004, 11:16
The Princelle 2nd edition arrived yesterday, this is great! What a wealth of information. Haven't had time to go through much of it, but I noticed a discrepancy right away. Looking up some of my cameras, I noticed on pg. 125 there's a photo of a Zenit 312m slr but the caption refers to it as a 122K. The caption goes on to say the Zenit 212k was presented at Photokina in 1994 but never produced. Funny, but I have one in my display case. Then on pg. 161 there is a photo and a listing for the 212K, where it is stated that "only a few hundred were produced" between 1994 and 1995. I'm betting that more than just a few hundred of these were made. I'm kind of surprised at the inconsistency here. Has anyone else noticed errors in this book?

rbiemer
12-30-2004, 09:53
A very nice woman from Camerabooks.com called me on Tuesday and let me know that they had the book in stock "Do you still want one?" she asked in all innocence.
I very loudly said YES and today sent them the money.
I can hardly wait! OK it's been only a year and some weeks but I'm REALLY happy I didn't succumb to the temptation of the few 200$ NOS first editions I've found on the web.
When it does get here, I'll be able to have a much better plan for what next.
Well, more specific than "One of each,please":rolleyes:
Rob:dance:

back alley
12-30-2004, 10:01
actually, one of each, sounds about right!

joe

taffer
12-30-2004, 10:15
Krasnaya, that's true, confusing indeed :confused:

rover
12-30-2004, 10:30
You know, there are a lot of you guys that have a wealth of knowledge about these FSU cameras. Surely you can could get together and put together a book about using them, from a user's perspective. What are the peculiarities of the bodies? The character of the lenses? Fed vs Zorki, which Kiev is best? A discussion regarding the use of these gems.

taffer
12-30-2004, 13:23
You know, there are a lot of you guys that have a wealth of knowledge about these FSU cameras. Surely you can could get together and put together a book about using them, from a user's perspective. What are the peculiarities of the bodies? The character of the lenses? Fed vs Zorki, which Kiev is best? A discussion regarding the use of these gems.

Rover I'd say you're describing the BestStuff Russian camera forum :D

rover
12-30-2004, 16:04
And everyone that visits there would buy your book about the cameras they love.

taffer
12-31-2004, 00:31
And everyone that visits there would buy your book about the cameras they love.

And Fed-2 will fetch 120 and Fed-3a 150...

Oh... wait ! That's actually what that usual store in Barcelona charges for them ! :eek:

True story, they are for display in the external cabinet, one of the first cameras you see when entering the store.

RML
12-31-2004, 00:44
And Fed-2 will fetch 120 and Fed-3a 150...

Oh... wait ! That's actually what that usual store in Barcelona charges for them ! :eek:

True story, they are for display in the external cabinet, one of the first cameras you see when entering the store.

Indeed! Here in Amsterdam they are offered in a few places as well, for outrageous prices. 100 euros and up for a body without lens! I think I could be tempted to sell one of my FED bodies for those prices. :)

rbiemer
01-10-2005, 14:24
(I thought I posted these comments but I can't seem to find 'em so I must've hit the preview button instead of submit button. Sorry if I've posted basically the same thing twice)
The book came to my work in last friday's mail. Of course Friday lunch was alot busier than usual so I had to wait til about 4:30 in the afternoon (I generally can catch a 10-15 minute break before I start cooking for the dinner crowd). Just barely enough time to realize I wasn't staying out after work; that I would go home to my reading lamp.
I'm not expert enough to see any major problems like KZ mentioned. After a weekend with the book I have noticed some minor inconsistencies with the numbering of the example illustrations and once in a while there are sentences or paragraphs that are still in french.
I think to sum up my thoughts:
I am calling the book
Rob's birthday & christmas list 2005
and I'm going to leave it laying around close to those dates for my family to "stumble" across--with postit notes stuck to the appropriate pages:D
I AM DELIGHTED
Rob

doubs43
01-10-2005, 14:30
Rob, "postit" notes and lying around in plain sight? Wow..... what a devious fellow you are!! And SMART, too!! Good luck. :D

Walker

peter_n
01-10-2005, 14:56
... and I'm going to leave it laying around close to those dates for my family to "stumble" across--with postit notes stuck to the appropriate pages
Hmmm, good strategy Rob! Worth trying. :D My fam can never figure out what I want!