PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Are you "man enough" to admit it?

ray_g
04-08-2006, 07:12
Call it a gadget bag, messenger bag, gear bag, or whatever suits you, but do you use a MAN PURSE?

I know a lot of us usually go around with a camera or two. It may be hard to distinguish between having a camera bag, with a few personal items (keys, sunglasses, cellphone, moleskine, PDA etc) thrown in, as opposed to a "gadget bag" with a camera thrown in. I leave that up to you.

Let's hear it.

Brian Sweeney
04-08-2006, 07:17
I don't think anyone would confuse a Nikon FB-11 with a purse.

BJ Bignell
04-08-2006, 07:24
Awesome! I was the first person to vote for "...only when it doesn't clash"!

Yes, I use a man purse... Yes, I like it. Yes, I have pictures of myself wearing colour-coordinated fashion with the purse. No, you can't have the link to those pictures.

FrankS
04-08-2006, 07:24
Sure, the Donke 803 satchel bag looks like a purse.

Andrew Sowerby
04-08-2006, 08:04
I carried a messenger bag for years but my school books are too heavy these days. My Domke man-purse is black so it goes with most everything. Accessorize!

rbiemer
04-08-2006, 08:08
Well,
"Purse" or not, I've carried some kind of bag for a long time. I wallk most of the time and usually have a backpack dangling from one shoulder. As I've been trying to organize a camera bag with room in it for some other stuff the "bag" is truning out to be more "purse"-like.
I'm not too concerned what the philistines around me call it, if it works well I'll carry it.
Rob

enochRoot
04-08-2006, 08:09
i struggled with this long and hard, but finally broke down and started carrying a medium sized messenger bag at all times. camera, sun glasses, wallet, other stuff...IT'S GREAT! why should the women have all the convenience! :D

IT'S EUROPEAN!! :D

Pherdinand
04-08-2006, 08:12
i carry a small backpack very often. Especially in warmer times when io'm not the "pocket man"

rover
04-08-2006, 08:21
Oh yeah, of course.

nzeeman
04-08-2006, 08:22
i always wear only small army bag

Andy K
04-08-2006, 08:34
Does an Army surplus webbing haversack count as a man purse?

goo0h
04-08-2006, 08:34
Hey, a laptop bag is NOT a man purse! And yes, it contains a laptop, usually.

Andy K
04-08-2006, 08:37
Anything in black leather is a purse... and metrosexual too. There's another one, are you a metrosexual*?

*Metrosexual - immasculated male wiith a penchant for using skin care products and only drinking wine.

Fedzilla_Bob
04-08-2006, 08:39
I carry a variety of "Man Purses."

Wanna make something of it?

;)

markinlondon
04-08-2006, 08:44
My Billingham Hadley definitely comes into the "manbag" category. I bought the black as I thought the khaki might not go with my wardrobe :)

Mark

Fedzilla_Bob
04-08-2006, 09:04
Man purse bigger.

Man purse not girly glitter.

Man purse good.

simonankor
04-08-2006, 09:18
I carry my big Crumpler courier bag... it's mostly full of bike/work related stuff though!

I admit I've been tempted by smaller bags for when I'm not working... ;)

PeterL
04-08-2006, 09:23
Fortunately, over half of the population still have their senses. Obviously, I don't need a bag. I'll grab one when I go shopping or when I need to carry something decent, but any coat should fit a wallet with cash & credit cards, keys, cell phone and an RF camera with a small handheld light meter. Anything more gets in the way and is best given to the significant other to be put in her purse :)

Peter.

Fedzilla_Bob
04-08-2006, 09:28
I have my senses- ;)

But - A coat won't due after april here in SoCal. Plus jackets won't hold a rangefinder (sometimes with a digicam or DVD cam), film, lunch, inhaler, glasses, pen and pad, aspirin, the latest novel, and trade mag.

Gid
04-08-2006, 09:31
I do, but I've found that pulling the RF out in a hurry can knock quite a few of the sequins off :)

rpinchbeck
04-08-2006, 09:51
My so called "man purse" is a nasty assed dirty old backpack. It's been part of my regular wardrobe that has clashed with all my outfits and has traveled around the world to places like Bombay, Amsterdam and Hong Kong to name a few. And, yes there is always a camera in my "man purse".

Russ

enochRoot
04-08-2006, 10:03
But - A coat won't due after april here in SoCal. Plus jackets won't hold a rangefinder (sometimes with a digicam or DVD cam), film, lunch, inhaler, glasses, pen and pad, aspirin, the latest novel, and trade mag.

not to mention that all that stuff (if it would fit into pockets) just bangs around against your body. and the "which pocket is that in?" syndrome.

sfb_dot_com
04-08-2006, 10:03
Of course not, no never!!!!!

I checked the pockets of my LowePro Orion Trekker - reading glasses, paracetamol, erm personal requisites. It is my hand luggage when I fly and carries tickets and passports, tissues, and more.

So of course I voted no.

Andy

SolaresLarrave
04-08-2006, 10:07
I have a variety of bags.

A black briefcase in which I stuff papers, cameras, pens, books, you name it. I even carried my Nikon SLR there at one time.

Then, I have two Domke F5XB bags (black & khaki, one for my silver Leica and the other for the black. gotta be color-coordinated) and a nice, bigger Lowepro 3AW that goes with any outfit.

There you go. I've admitted it! :)

Burkey
04-08-2006, 10:11
I've carried a Domke bag of one sort or another for years. Yup, it has personal stuff, (sun glasses, wallet, cell phone, iPod, etc.), and always a camera, either digital or film.

RML
04-08-2006, 10:42
Someone better first show me a pic of what a "man purse" is. I always carry some sort of bag (messenger bag, small back pack) with my gsm, keys, wallet, access card for work, pens, some writing paper, sunglasses, etc. in it. It also holds my camera. Is that a "man purse"? I would consider one of them dangly purse-like... purses my father had in the late 70s to be "man purses". My dad's was made of some animal's skin, looked like rough goat hair to me. Brrr. :p

egpj
04-08-2006, 10:47
My L2 Alice/Hadley Pro has been to some of the most dangerous places in the world and then styled in some of the better locales as well. Before that I carried an Israeli type bag that rode on my body like a bandolier and even had a conealed holster that came in close to the body. I still have that one. A great thing about the Hadley pro is that there is also enough room behind the main compartment to retro fit a holster in there as well, for all you shooters out there. Or you can also just let the pistol sit in there with up to 2 15 round clips. It does have a little bit more of a bulky ride against your body. But the full size 9mm beretta fits in there very nicely and does not call attention to itself.

I have resolved myself to the purchase of a larger "MAN BAG", possibly the 550 in Olive. Olive matches my flight suit. On a side note Billingham has stopped making bags in Olive. Really that is one of my favorite colors. Dang, I just realized that I like to drink wine as well.... I will not accept the "Metrosexual" thing though. :p :bang:

enochRoot
04-08-2006, 10:50
i don't think you can carry a sidearm AND be a metrosexual. the two are mutually exclusive ;)

Brian Sweeney
04-08-2006, 10:54
But if I came across a Nice mint condition Nikon FB-14 I would get it. And then Nina would confiscate it.

back alley
04-08-2006, 11:06
of course i do!
been using a bag of some sort for as long as i can remember, longer that it has been 'cool' to do so.

and manny, i think we call it a change purse here = purse for money

egpj
04-08-2006, 11:07
i don't think you can carry a sidearm AND be a metrosexual. the two are mutually exclusive ;)

That is comforting. If you were one of the guys I used to serve with they would have jumped all over that one. Missed your chance though! :D

RayPA
04-08-2006, 11:22
No, but maybe even worse, I have a photo vest. :eek:

Andy K
04-08-2006, 11:28
What a bunch of girls! Don't go forgetting your lippy! :D

johne
04-08-2006, 11:43
Unlike others, I carry a camera bag. So?

Johne

Pherdinand
04-08-2006, 11:45
oh come on Andy. Everyone knows, metrosexual is a person who has sex regularly in the subway.

egpj
04-08-2006, 11:56
A quick Google search has determined that "Lippy" is in possible referance to Lipstick. hmmmm, I do carry some lipstuff from Burt's Bees and it is very good at keeping the old lips nice and moist in case my lovely better half wants to enjoy some kissin'.

I did start a related thread in the something different area of the forum:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21259

It was called the significant other aka the pack horse. I related my story of trying to get my significant other involved in... ahem photography. It did not work. I thought she would like to carry around my man bag... you know, be involved. :rolleyes:

Socke
04-08-2006, 12:01
Anything in black leather is a purse... and metrosexual too. There's another one, are you a metrosexual*?

*Metrosexual - immasculated male wiith a penchant for using skin care products and only drinking wine.

Oh, I thought that's just another word for Beckham ;)

oftheherd
04-08-2006, 12:01
I am as manly as everyone else. If you don't believe it I will hit you over the head with my purse. Uh, handbag, uh, well, whatever.

:D :D

Actually, other than a backpack or a camera bag, no. My generational upbringing just doesn't allow it. Besides, what would you do with your pockets it you did? :D

Socke
04-08-2006, 12:12
A quick Google search has determined that "Lippy" is in possible referance to Lipstick. hmmmm, I do carry some lipstuff from Burt's Bees and it is very good at keeping the old lips nice and moist in case my lovely better half wants to enjoy some kissin'.

I share it with my SO. She fiddles with the lipstick, I get it applied in more pleasing way :)

Fedzilla_Bob
04-08-2006, 12:32
I am as manly as everyone else. If you don't believe it I will hit you over the head with my purse. Uh, handbag, uh, well, whatever.

:D :D

Actually, other than a backpack or a camera bag, no. My generational upbringing just doesn't allow it. Besides, what would you do with your pockets it you did? :D

Pockets carry the coins, wallet, knife, assorted handy small things.

ray_g
04-08-2006, 12:47

Difficult, yes, but not mutually exclusive. Damn trigger guard tends to scratch up my cuticles. :bang:

getmoresoon
04-08-2006, 13:09
This is a funny topic.... and it actually proved relevant last night. I'm currently @ our credit Union's annual General meeting... and what did they give us as our materials pack? A powder-blue bag! Since the vast majority of representatives are male.... guess that qualifies as a "man-bag".

I couldn't empty the contents quick enough and hand the bag to my wife :D

Guess I'm not "man-enough" to carry one ;)

R Little

hiwatt
04-08-2006, 13:26
No man-purse for me...yet. The real reason is that I move around mostly by motorbike, so it has to be a small camera bag IN a backpack.

The only other thing is a BIG camera bag from long ago (I can fit a Sigma DSLR, an M6, an M2, two flashes and four lenses in it) but it's being used less and less.

Anyone can point me to a big, well padded and well organized messenger bag?

rovnguy
04-08-2006, 13:43
Domke F-2 seasoned by 12 years travelling around the world = camera bag. Period.

einolu
04-08-2006, 13:48
Man-purses are really conveniet for me, especially because I spend a lot of time on public transportation. Nothing is worse than having a backpack in a crowded train or bus. (It is also very important for me to be stylin' ;)).

Sparrow
04-08-2006, 13:55
The notion of "drawn together by a thong" is also behind purse-net (c.1400). Mine looks a bit like a handbag this is taking a bit far!

John
04-08-2006, 14:30
Camera bag only - but people might think it looks like something else? :p

back alley
04-08-2006, 14:33
i wonder what colour everyone's car is?

i use a man bag and my mx3 is teal!!!!

joe;)

dazedgonebye
04-08-2006, 15:32
I often carry a camera bag...a Tamrac Velocity 7 or 9. But there's only ever camera gear in it, so I'll decline the "man bag" lable.

ch1
04-08-2006, 15:35
I said NO. But I have to admit that, like many men in NYC, the backpack I wear to and from work has more "personal items" than work-related stuff. Oh yes I have the obligatory calculator and "palm-clone" thingamajiggie - but also a bunch of catalogs (including B&H's), magazines, keys, breath mints, kleenex etc.

Perhaps a backpack is a "manly" purse?

Oops - forgot to add the camera is in there too!!!

enochRoot
04-08-2006, 15:44
Difficult, yes, but not mutually exclusive. Damn trigger guard tends to scratch up my cuticles. :bang:

yeah...the trigger guard on a .25 doesn't generally leave much room for a man's finger, and CAN mess up your manicure :p

actually my friend could probably qualify as metrosexual, and has gone shooting with me before.

It was called the significant other aka the pack horse.

funny enough...that is why i made the choice to start carrying one. my wife kept taking smaller and smaller purses. she basically muscled me out! it was always "hey honey...could you put this in your purse?" :D

ChrisN
04-08-2006, 16:08
Yes. Maxpedition Fatboy. Just the right size for a Leica and a spare lens, and does not look like a camera bag.

Creagerj
04-08-2006, 16:31
To be honest I never liked carrying my camera bag around with me. I don't own enough accesories for it to really make much sense in the first place though. Useually I carry my camera around my neck with the flash in the shoe, and extra film in my coat pocket. As for everything else that I useually keep on me, I have four pockets.

ch1
04-08-2006, 16:33
Yes. Maxpedition Fatboy. Just the right size for a Leica and a spare lens, and does not look like a camera bag.

Chris,

That's not a purse - its an ammo bag! :D

DougK
04-08-2006, 21:20
Around these parts, the folks I hang out with generally consider a "man purse" to be one of those oversized, leather organizer thingies with a zipper and handle that looks remarkably like a woman's handbag. I shudder just thinking about them, not because they aren't useful but because they seem so pretentious. Don't ask me why, maybe it's just the people I know who carry them.

I'm sorry, what was the question again? Oh, right....

I sometimes carry a small nylon or canvas guide bag or backpack which holds my camera, pen/pencil and notepad, snacks, pocket knife, and water when hiking or on a "photography outing," or a basic fabric briefcase for buisiness trips. For daily life, nothing. Because I rarely carry more than keys, wallet, pocket knife, phone, and a camera (one lens only) with an extra roll of film, a bag would be overkill.

egpj
04-08-2006, 22:55
yeah...the trigger guard on a .25 doesn't generally leave much room for a man's finger, and CAN mess up your manicure :p

actually my friend could probably qualify as metrosexual, and has gone shooting with me before.

funny enough...that is why i made the choice to start carrying one. my wife kept taking smaller and smaller purses. she basically muscled me out! it was always "hey honey...could you put this in your purse?" :D

OH Yeah! Mine was good with the cheap digital lenses thing. It was kind of scary because that means she actually listens to me while I am on one of my rants. She filed it away and then used it on me later to steer me away from my idea. Scary woman!

She tolerates the bag as well... but wait until she sees the 550!

thedilettante
04-09-2006, 05:04
crumpler satchel with keys, phone, glasses, notebook, lunch ( weekdays ), M6 + couple of rolls of tri x.
Call it what you want but it IS a handbag.
Ben

Magnus
04-09-2006, 05:15
I use an old billingham which I use to use for my Leica. It's tattered and torn but holds everything I need (including my "always with me M6-Elmar").
For my Cameras I have acquired a larger billingham which fits my 3 bodies, 2 extra lenses and lots of film.

Socke
04-09-2006, 05:27
Sing to the tune "This is not a Love Song" by The Clash:

This is not a handbag
This is not a handbag

Andy K
04-09-2006, 05:35
Sing to the tune "This is not a Love Song" by The Clash:

This is not a handbag
This is not a handbag

I think you might mean Public Image Limited. ;)

Socke
04-09-2006, 05:43
I think you might mean Public Image Limited. ;)

As allways, you're correct :)

Wrong thread, but I'm just listening to "Give 'Em Enough Rope"

PeterL
04-09-2006, 06:45
When I lived in LA, most I ever carried was a wallet, an SLR on a neck strap (but wrapped around one shoulder&neck), then maybe a filter or some extra film. Lunch can be bought, same for water. Except in the Angeles Mountains, I did grab a bottle there, which got in the way.

Everything that I don't take with me doesn't bang against my body. So I just take less instead of having a bag bang against me with the combined weight of all the items in it :) Having travelled light (30L backpack for 45 days in Japan, including the camera gear), I prefer not having taken an item with me over having it and being bothered by it. I'm getting over using filters and extra lenses, too. Less hassle = more photos.

And anyway, *real* men should have scratches and black spots to show what they're worth ! :D

Peter.

smiling gecko
04-09-2006, 08:46
...yes, and yes.

...got my first one travelling through mexico and central america decades ago. sort of "went native".

...i also carry a man purse-within-a-man purse when i travel to countries that require passport, visas, shot records, etc. it provides quick access when confronted by various military, militia, police, customs, governmental security types, etc, etc. it sure beats rooting through the shoulder bag with it's extra camera, lenses, film containers, batteries, mini clamps, med containers, pens & markers, immodium, lomotil, notepad & pen, phrase books & dictionary, foam earplugs - n'er leave home without 'em, small trash bag, tad of duct tape & clear tape, a couple of clothes pins, a few sizes of rubber bands, altoids, peppermints, chapstick ,sunscreen, sunglasses, safet pins, mini first aid kit, 'after bite' brand sting stick, etc in a smaller size domke f3... i like to think i don't travel light, but i travel well.

...sometimes i also wear a vest with pockets - not a strictly "photo vest".

...currently my favorite bag is made by 'dickies' - the work clothes folks. it' about 10''x 12'' and is my everyday choice for an extra camera & lens, little film, a small flash, a greatly pared down version of the travel kit described aove, with a little room left over for whatever. got a small crumpler awhile back and haven't really used it much yet. one in texas a & m burgundy and the other in photo-chic black.

hasta la vista, adieu, dazvidanya, fino al prossimo tempo, auf wiedersehen, and later y’all
kenneth :p
"some memories are realities and better than anything" willa cather
" doo-wacka doo, wacka doo" roger miller
"we have met the enemy and they is us !" pogo (walt kelly)
“a mans cartilage is his fate” phillip roth

p.s. btw, one of my favorite rff "sign-offs" belongs to g-man... i recognize it as part of my life credo, and still try to embrace the spirit of it and practice it. however, as a somewhat/sort-of/restrained/in control (yeahh...) adrenalin junkie - there is no such thing as an "ex adrenalin junkie - i try to remember moderation. or as i'm fond of saying : "all things in moderation, especially moderation - sometimes".

pss. thanks to all for rummaging through today's ramble

mountainrivera
04-09-2006, 09:33
Nostradamus predicted: "In the 21st century men will carry women's pocketbook and cry at movies". Oh how I long for the days when men were men and sheep were scared.

BillBingham2
04-09-2006, 16:37
Yes, I am what I am, and that's a photographer!

Not trying to come out of the darkroom any time soon.....

B2 (;->

dostacos
04-09-2006, 16:37
Call it a gadget bag, messenger bag, gear bag, or whatever suits you, but do you use a MAN PURSE?

I know a lot of us usually go around with a camera or two. It may be hard to distinguish between having a camera bag, with a few personal items (keys, sunglasses, cellphone, moleskine, PDA etc) thrown in, as opposed to a "gadget bag" with a camera thrown in. I leave that up to you.

Let's hear it.
does the bag on the front of my wheelchair count?

dostacos
04-09-2006, 16:47
i struggled with this long and hard, but finally broke down and started carrying a medium sized messenger bag at all times. camera, sun glasses, wallet, other stuff...IT'S GREAT! why should the women have all the convenience! :D

IT'S EUROPEAN!! :D
ya had me until EUROPEAN :D

enochRoot
04-09-2006, 16:54
ya had me until EUROPEAN :D

hehehe. that was the big inside joke (from seinfeld) that my wife would say when i first started carrying it. i would infer that it seemed to function pretty much like a purse (even though it started off as a bag for my camera)...and she would just say "IT'S EUROPEAN" like jerry did :)

mine isn't black or leather or anything like that. it's camo and from gravis (the camo helps to negate the "purse factor").

gravis sidearm on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/GRAVIS-SIDEARM-BAG-BY-BURTON-SNOWBOARDS-NEW-MSRP-40_W0QQitemZ7226651018QQcategoryZ21229QQssPageName ZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

they make great bags that are reasonably priced (especially a season or two old on ebay like this one). they make great shoes too!

kmack
04-09-2006, 17:11
Here is my purse, a made in Pakistan canvas bag that can be bought at any flea market. It had a lame "paratrooper" logo on the front so my wife sewed a piece of scrap cloth across the front and sewed some velcro inside for the insert.

In my bag right now is:
a small flash light
a BIC pen
a Sharpie
My Bessa R sporting an Industar 61.
A Jupiter 8 rolled up in a shop towel.
A CV 35/2.5 in a bakelite FSU lens case.
A yellow filter
A cable release
A plastic body cap
A small notebook
3 rolls of film
a Leatherman tool.
a knife I usually keep in my desk drawer at work
an Apple IBook
the iBook power adapter
a neck strap
half a dozen nicotine lozenges
a 124M usb data pen
current issue of the Linux Journal
a Domke insert.
small leather check book

ch1
04-10-2006, 19:03
Do you mean all these people are talking about is whether you carry a briefcase or bag of some type when you walk around town?

I cannot speak for elsewhere, but in the US, the word "purse" has a gender-connotation.

Not so such appelations as "bag" (including "shoulder bag"), "briefcase", "backpack", "attache" etc.

For goodness sakes! I have TONS of bags of all kinds, shapes and sizes.

For one thing, I live in a "CITY" and either walk or take public transportation. How else am I going to cart stuff back and forth?

You would be hard pressed, male or female, to walk around NYC or other cities without some kind of "bag"!

tedwhite
04-10-2006, 19:25
I've been using a beat to hell canvas bag into which I jammed some foam so two cameras wouldn't bang together. However, now I've gone upscale, jamming the foam divider into my Targus laptop shoulder bag. I bought it two years ago to use as a motorcycle courier bag. It's dark blue, actually nearly black, and it makes people think I'm carrying a laptop - which is kind of cool as it implies I have a job, which is a fun masquerade, as I have neither a laptop nor a job. It's also large: 16"X12" with compartments I have yet to discover. It also has a separate compartment designed, obviously, to hold documents. I use it to hold 8X10 prints to show either friends or clients.

I guess you couldn't call it a purse. But it does hold a Glock, for those special moments on the Mexican border. I'm not talking about the illegal immigrants - they're harmless and usually very nice folks thrown by desperate circumstances into harm's way - but rather the drug smugglers and people smugglers. They can take the fun out of birding on the San Pedro Riparian National Conservation Area in a heartbeat.

I really covet my girlfriend/SO's cordovan leather handbag, but she won't hear of it.

nwcanonman
04-10-2006, 19:57
Hey, the Isreali Paratrooper's canvas bag, (OD green with red para-wings) is the macho version of man purse. Cheap, holds everything and still manly - LOL.
WGAF?

ricpr
04-10-2006, 20:15
Ammo bag...now that's hilarious!! The wife was nice enough to get me a LowePro back pack. Looks like she didn't worry too much about price. The ggod thing is that it looks just like a regular backpack and camoflauges the expensive contents. I feel like I am in college still when I tote the bag around. Definitely not a man purse.

pesphoto
04-12-2006, 08:05
Nope, nothing for me. Even when shooting, I just carry one camer and film in my pockets.
There is nothing wrong with it though.

dreilly
04-12-2006, 12:24
What would a female member of RFF make of this question?

If she uses such a contraption, would it still be a man-purse, or a woman-purse, or just a purse?

Gabriel M.A.
04-12-2006, 12:38
Wait, if I say "no" because I don't have one, what does that "mean"? Am I admitting I don't have one? No entiendo...

MelanieC
04-12-2006, 16:14
This is very amusing.

(a) The Timbuk2 bag (of whatever type you want to call it) that I carry everywhere is considerably smaller than any of the bags you guys carry. It holds my M3, a small meter, an extra roll of film, my wallet and related items, pens, lip balm, small tube of hand lotion, tiny hairbrush, Daily Planner thingie, pocketknife, and whatever else I need to throw in there for the day.

If I need to carry anything else (like a laptop) this bag goes into a North Face daypack with the whatever else I am carrying.

(b) None of my friends consider what I carry to be a purse, per se, since it is a small messenger bag, but since it fulfills the role of a purse I call it my purse. Before I got this bag I used to carry an Eagle Creek field bag as my "purse," but it was too small for my Leica so I got the Timbuk2. I have a feeling some of your man purses look more purselike than my "purse."

The problem with real girly purses (or handbags for you Old World types) is that they go in and out of fashion, and that they tend to only go with some of one's outfits, necessitating moving stuff between purses when wearing different outfits and who the heck wants to bother with that? This is why I've never really carried an actual girl purse. Besides, the ones I do own are now too small to serve my photographic needs.

Anyway, here's my "purse."

back alley
04-12-2006, 22:15
lately i have been using one of my mclassic bags for a daily carry.
in it is the m3 with 50/1.2 attached, the small pilot 2 meter some film, a large lens cloth.
sometimes a bottle of water, the head for my car stereo, sun glasses, whatever.

it's basic black so it never goes out of style.
not that it would matter as i went out of style in about 1969 ;)

joe

NL2377
04-13-2006, 00:04
Sure do!!! ok, and by the way, its not a man purse... it's a murse.

Here is one that's similar to mine: (mine is red)

http://i14.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/96/98/dd_1.JPG

sf
04-13-2006, 00:22
My camera bag is about purse sized - thanks to the compactenss of my camera - and I like to travel light. I do stuff it, though, with batteries, film, lens cloth, money, pocket kleenex (for the nose), and tie a tripod to it sometimes. A little mini one. I wear it over my shoulder, but it definitely looks more like a camera bag than a purse.

MelanieC
04-13-2006, 01:54
... but it definitely looks more like a camera bag than a purse.

Sure. The real question is, if I carried it, would it then become a purse?

tedwhite
04-13-2006, 07:34
Yes. Gender rules.

enochRoot
04-13-2006, 07:38
... but it definitely looks more like a camera bag than a purse.

Sure. The real question is, if I carried it, would it then become a purse?

maybe it would be a woman murse. ;)

brachal
04-13-2006, 08:11
I use a WW2 British army bag with a folded up towel stuffed down the back and bottom for padding -- and I always know where my towel is. ;)
Plenty of room for a camera, extra lens, film, light meter, and assorted stuff.

Andy K
04-13-2006, 08:23
I use a WW2 British army bag with a folded up towel stuffed down the back and bottom for padding -- and I always know where my towel is. ;)

Mine is a British Army respirator bag. I chose it because it is made from heavy duty webbing and has a 'lid' type top which is velcro sealed.

Socke
04-16-2006, 14:43

But don't forget some salted peanuts, you never now when you have to get over a hyperspace shock.

And earplugs so you can listen to vogon poetry unharmed, OTOH, you can use the towel for that.

Russ
04-16-2006, 18:10
Of course not, no never!!!!!

I checked the pockets of my LowePro Orion Trekker - reading glasses, paracetamol, erm personal requisites. It is my hand luggage when I fly and carries tickets and passports, tissues, and more.

So of course I voted no.

Andy

Sometimes a very small black Lowepro "Trekker Beltpack" (no longer made, DAMMIT!), or a small Lowepro shoulder bag. I prefer to just toss a couple of rolls in the coat pocket, and ambulate about town.

Russ

brachal
04-18-2006, 08:54
But don't forget some salted peanuts, you never now when you have to get over a hyperspace shock.

And earplugs so you can listen to vogon poetry unharmed, OTOH, you can use the towel for that.

Socke is clearly one hoopy frood!

sychan
04-18-2006, 11:33
I carry a big messenger bag (http://chromebags.com/metropolis.php) that holds my laptop, books and occasionally a camera. I originally bought it because I wanted a bag to carry my camera gear on a trip to SE Asia, but which didn't scream CAMERA GEAR INSIDE. I don't think it qualifies as a manbag, since I leave my eyecreams, moisturizing lotions, exfoliants and depilatories in a little Gucci bag in the car :rolleyes: and keep everything else in my pants pockets.

Recently, I've found that an R-D1 with the 40/1.4 will fit in a jacket pocket (with some coercion). I only bring along a bag if I'm carrying the SLR around.

fgianni
04-27-2006, 05:23
and I always know where my towel is. ;)

Indeed that's vital Arthur, you can't trust a man who doesn't know where his towel is!

Stanton
05-05-2006, 18:46
My daughter-in-law calls it a "murse." It's a Field and Stream shoulder pack, great for one camera, virtually any kind of rangefinder, film, table tripod, etc, wallet, keys, and miscellany.

BJ Bignell
05-16-2006, 09:33
My girlfriend just gave me a new Crumpler as a gift; I think it's a "Ben's Pizza L", but factory-customised with a funny picture. Words wouldn't properly describe it, so I'll take a quick picture with the digicam and upload when I have time.

I'm now the proud owner of two photo bags that don't look a lot like photo bags. One's big - the Six Million Dollar Home - and carries my entire RF kit, the other is more like a "night on the town" bag.

BJ Bignell
05-16-2006, 09:38
For our American friends in the New York area, I just noticed that Crumpler is having a "Beer for Bags" promo from June 3-11. The idea is simple: Bring in beer, exchange it for a bag, and then get drunk with the staff. You can see all the details on this special page on their website: http://www.crumplerbags.com/b4b/ (be warned, it's not friendly to slow computers or slow Internet connections)

BJ Bignell
05-28-2006, 09:53
A detail shot of one of my "man-purses".

flashover
06-20-2006, 14:19
Heck I tried to run the last guy down I saw carring a man purse. The dam Pumper just dose not turn fast enough and I missed.

pmu
07-14-2006, 13:03
A detail shot of one of my "man-purses".

Haha, that is awesome!! :D

Marc
07-15-2006, 04:46
O.K. I carry a "man purse"but does it's contents absolve me of girliness? I use it to carry the following items.......
Low impedence Bose Aviation Headset
T.P for those South East Asian airports that aren't exactly well stocked
Hand sanitizer for the same
change of underwear and t-shirt
iPod
Sunglasses
Moleskin 18 month planner
Black Canonet
Whichever Kodak or Fuji film I found on special

Magus
08-08-2006, 05:09
Post deleted by posters request

popstar
08-11-2006, 14:08
Yeah, I guess I have a man-purse. Though I always thought it was a satchel. Now my whole self-image is shattered! But now I know better... At least my 'satchel' doesn't clash!

StuartR
08-11-2006, 15:32
Why, just the other day I had the Domke J803 on my shoulder, and a snot-nosed punk said, "Nice purse.". So yes, I guess it is a man-purse. But I always joke about it being a man purse with my friends, so what do I expect? At least it's not pink...

BJ Bignell
08-13-2006, 12:12
Why, just the other day I had the Domke J803 on my shoulder, and a snot-nosed punk said, "Nice purse.". So yes, I guess it is a man-purse. But I always joke about it being a man purse with my friends, so what do I expect? At least it's not pink...What's wrong with pink? Men can wear pink, you know.

StuartR
08-13-2006, 12:28
The number of pink things that straight men can wear are rather limited, and don't include man-purses. Assuming you are preppy enough, you can get away with Pink Oxford shirts, and maybe a tie or socks...but not at the same time.
Of course, if you are gay you can wear as much pink as you want.

ehparis
08-29-2006, 17:19
Why would I carry a purse? I'm invariably without funds and don't even have a spare key to put in one.

OTOH I have a wallet and it has an accordian insert that allows me to carry lots of my pictures with me. :rolleyes:

Chris Lynch
09-13-2006, 19:14
Domke F5XB = Man Purse for sure. And i love it.

foolproof
09-14-2006, 03:22
yep - old german army sachel, given to me as a present from berlin. i love it - has the stamp on the inside lip, hard leather bottom so it never falls over, an over shoulder strap and a round the waist strap for keeping it to your body on the bike or if you gotta run.

vrgard
09-21-2006, 02:49
Domke F5XB = Man Purse for sure. And i love it.

My sentiments exactly!

Jon Perry
09-21-2006, 07:50
Call 'em what you like I guess, I like to call 'em messenger bags.

Sounds more manly! :D

I've had 'interesting' confrontations in the past with people wanting to know what's in the expensive looking camera bag, so nowadays I try to keep it looking simple.

Jon

40oz
09-21-2006, 10:14
yes, I carry a purse, if you know any women who'd call a beat-up, blood-stained canvas Duluth Pack game bag a "purse." It's got one compartment for dead animals (cameras), and a smaller pocket for shells (film, batteries, filters). Perfect for my uses, and it doesn't look remotely valuable.

ray_g
09-21-2006, 21:04
yes, I carry a purse, if you know any women who'd call a beat-up, blood-stained canvas Duluth Pack game bag a "purse." It's got one compartment for dead animals (cameras), and a smaller pocket for shells (film, batteries, filters). Perfect for my uses, and it doesn't look remotely valuable.
Actually, I do. She's also got two missing front teeth and can belch real loud. ;)

I just had a flashback of butch's FS posts: "I smoke."

I have a feeling this post will haunt you should you decide to sell anything on RFF. "Dead animal smell?" :(

JoeV
09-23-2006, 12:47
I carry a Columbia brand backpack, of the kind one often sees in the Pacific NW USA. It doesn't look anything like the original "manbag" as seen in the Seinfeld TV show, however. Perhaps someone can come up with a picture or screen shot.

I have a friend who used to be in federal law enforcement. They carry a "satchel" of the sort that perhaps a businessman would carry. One of the rolled edges in the side of the bag, ostensibly just for decor, was actually a quick-access, spring-loaded pouch that allowed rapid access to the Glock 40. That could be handy for cameras, too.

PhotoMat
09-23-2006, 13:49
In the eternal quest for the perfect camera bag for my rangefinder kit, I have lately been using a MountainSmith waistbag/beltpack. While it can be slung over a shoulder, one can always cinch up the waist belt and look more "outdoorsy" if your masculinity is called into question. ;) ;)

Manpurse? Perhaps. But it's appearance belies it's contents. Most people would tend to think that I'm carrying some personal items and a stale sandwich instead of some spendy camera gear.

ray_g
09-23-2006, 14:07
Nice. Do you use any inserts with that?

PhotoMat
09-23-2006, 14:42
Ray:

I use a Domke 3-compartment insert in the main body of the waistpack. All of the equipment shown fits into the main compartment. As you probably know, the Domke inserts have no padding on the bottom -- I use a 1" thick piece of open cell foam as padding for the base of the main compartment. The insert holds the camera body and lenses. There is enough room remaining in the main compartment for the flash and table tripod. There is also a zippered pouch in the main compartment which is handy for filters, lens cloth, spare batteries, etc.

The exterior pockets leave me with enough room for a light jacket, water and the occasional stale sandwich. :) So far, it seems to work out quite well.

40oz
09-23-2006, 16:01
Actually, I do. She's also got two missing front teeth and can belch real loud. ;)

I just had a flashback of butch's FS posts: "I smoke."

I have a feeling this post will haunt you should you decide to sell anything on RFF. "Dead animal smell?" :(

it's been washed lol. I fail to understand some people's insistence that men not ever use what a woman might. Seems more than a little insecure, IMHO.

mattmills
09-23-2006, 16:46
my domke j-3 probably qualifies, and I call it my purse, sometimes... but really, it's more of a security blanket...

bobkonos
09-23-2006, 16:51
Absolutely. I use messenger bags from Timbuk2 in canvas and ballistic nylon, as well as an old (1984) Billingham gag that serves more as satchel than camera bag. I also use cotton musettes for small items like wallet, keys, pens, notebook, etc. (Musettes? They are the cotton sacs used to hand up food to bicycle racers on long stages. I collect them).

Man purses? Use them daily. Pink shirts? I have a couple. Digital cameras? No way, that is going too far. :rolleyes:

Jon Perry
09-24-2006, 13:37
"Billingham gag"

...hmmm, didn't know they started making those, how much? ;)

:p

Jon

bobkonos
09-24-2006, 21:18
Jon,

Thanks for catching the spelling error I missed. Now I know at least one person reads my posts. Say, I like that Vaude bag you use. Where'd you find it? It is more organized than many I have seen.

IGMeanwell
09-30-2006, 00:27
I have three bags ... my Lowepro for my DSLR (its a backpack style), my Tamrac messenger style (for my event photography), and then my old Vietnam era Map bag when I want my one camera one lens solution

I guess the only one that could be mistaken for a purse is the map bag... its small but deep its roughly 10-12 inches long

Avotius
09-30-2006, 01:39
yes because unlike many other countries china is not held up on such things like "man's bags" and its quite common to see any number of lads out on the street with them

Muller
10-08-2006, 02:03
Yep. A military "issue" map case when packing around an RF, light meter and extra roll or two of film, or a vintage military-style shoulder bag from Mil-Spec when I'm packing around the SLR and an extra lens, more film, filters and whatever else I think I need at the time. Bonus of using that one is it doesn't look like a camera bag and it blends into the rest of my gear when in the field.

Daniel Unkefer
10-10-2006, 19:43
I've got lots of camera bags (most photographers' do) but my smallest one I picked up at the local military surplus store. It's a Swiss Medical Army bag, in camo with the "medical cross" and serial number printed on it. Just the thing for street photography.

Perfect for a 35RF, extra lens, ten rolls of film, sunglasses, etc. I like the fact that it dosen't look like anything expensive is inside.

pesphoto
10-13-2006, 08:56
Ive got one Domke bag, but it sits under a table collecting dust since I ditched all my SLR stuff. Now I just grab a rangefinder, a lens, some film and off I go.

woodphoto
10-29-2006, 12:43
I love my man purse, the Domke 5xb (olive, so it's more manly), but so does my wife, she's always trying to borrow it. Once I found her trying to see if she could fit her stuff in it........

jody
10-29-2006, 13:01
I have a bag that I bought from American eagle its like a shoulder book bag. It has two main pocket a zipper pocket and a pocket on the outside. I keep a notebook in the outside pocket and batteries in the zipper pocket. I took a old shoulder camera bag and removed the excess material stuffed it in the main compartment, it fit perfect, it gives me a padded area for three cameras. It also had the loops for film. Much easer to use than the backpack I had was.

Robert
12-15-2006, 01:41
I carry what I would call a camera gadget bag, usually a Billingham Hadley or an Olympus E1 outfit bag. A purse definately not, a wallet yes.

I only ever knew two men to carry a purse.

Most women carry purses either in their handbags or pockets.

35mmdelux
12-15-2006, 15:20
Its a European thing ( the man bag) , no?

Sylvaticus
12-15-2006, 16:05
A small rucksack that leaves the hands free to grab trees or fences so I don't topple over over. Haven't been able to determine its sex, it's indifferent to any advances or other trick. Retrosexual probably.

gb hill
12-15-2006, 17:41
I just bought a LTX series tamrac bag. I like it alot.:cool:

jky
12-16-2006, 23:12
... is the "man purse" I use with my RF.
Cheers, j

arbib
01-01-2007, 12:20
Why ?? I have a wallet. And I don't carry grooming stuff to warrant a "Man Purse".

I do have 2 gadget bags though. one I use for carrying my DSLR/3 lens/2 Flash/and wireless trigger/battorries/CF cards/etc... used for on the road studio transport.

The other is a daily gadget bag.. It holds 1 camera RF or SLR, and up to 3 lens plus film and spare battory for camera..no flash.

shadowfox
01-02-2007, 09:57
Fortunately, over half of the population still have their senses. Obviously, I don't need a bag. I'll grab one when I go shopping or when I need to carry something decent, but any coat should fit a wallet with cash & credit cards, keys, cell phone and an RF camera with a small handheld light meter. Anything more gets in the way and is best given to the significant other to be put in her purse :)

Peter.
... unless of course when you live in a warm climate places. You'd look even weirder wearing a coat in 90F degree weather than carrying a purse :D

My favorite bag is a blue Timbuktu messenger-style laptop bag. People don't think there's a laptop in there and it matches all of my cargo-pants colors.

Metrosexual! bah!!!

mikeb380
01-04-2007, 04:06

Let's hear it.

When I lived in NYC I carried abag, call it what you will. Sometimes with camera, others not. I hadproblems getting into the Gugenheim museum as the guard said I couldn't take the bag in with me. I asked if he was making all the women leave their purses wityh him and he said no. I waved at him and went on in. I found it valuable to have a bag, I kept all my personal stuff in it ad as I said, I fitted an F1 and several lenses in also.

I now carry a camera bag with me but it rides on my walker lashed on with bungee cord. I still kepwallet, keys, phone, etc in the bag.

AirTimid
01-09-2007, 12:30
I have about 4 or 5. Hey, you need to put your wallet, phone, lipstick...er..chapstick somewhere. I got sick of wearing pants that were falling off because of all the stuff I had to cram into the pockets.

Steve Bellayr
01-16-2007, 18:25
Never. If I'm carrying a camera it better be ready. Stuff the film in my pocket pull off the cap and attach the sunshade.

ForeverUnknown
03-21-2007, 22:09
Yes and I love my man purses!

ernstk
03-21-2007, 23:46
"Great Britain and America-two nations divided by a common language" -George Bernard Shaw.

In the US, a bag is known as a purse. The thing that goes inside the bag that holds money, is a wallet. In the UK, a purse is what a lady keeps her money in, while a man uses a wallet. I have no idea what might be called a bag in the US. A suitcase perhaps?

I have a couple of man bags, I use skin care products daily and I mainly drink wine.
We've been using man bags for years in Europe without really pausing to question if it was OK.

An M2 and Summaron 35 fits in mine without even spoiling the line of it.

Ernst

OurManInTangier
03-22-2007, 10:05
I carry all my gear in a lovely diamonte Billingham with various straps depending on my outfit.

mikeb380
03-23-2007, 17:13
"Great Britain and America-two nations divided by a common language" -George Bernard Shaw.

In the US, a bag is known as a purse. The thing that goes inside the bag that holds money, is a wallet. In the UK, a purse is what a lady keeps her money in, while a man uses a wallet. I have no idea what might be called a bag in the US. A suitcase perhaps?

I have a couple of man bags, I use skin care products daily and I mainly drink wine.
We've been using man bags for years in Europe without really pausing to question if it was OK.

An M2 and Summaron 35 fits in mine without even spoiling the line of it.

Ernst

Ernst, actually in US it can be a bag and apurse, interchangable terms. My wife called them either and my mother called it a bag if it was large ( mostly it was.) The little things Ladies carried to dances, etc were purses.
My mother and grandmother both carried change purses, little bag with a snap, to hold metal money. The wallet was to hold bills. My wife just tossed change in the bag and it was never found again. In fact, almost anything put in her bag went to Neverland. She put my glasses case in her purse and I ended having to buy a new one. Never figured how that works. Special talent I guess.

Different parts of the country have different names for the same thing, i.e. soda,pop, soft drink, coke (universal name for all soft drinks, regardless of brand), or call it by name, "gonna get a pepsi".

Never know what to say when you go to another state or region. In Texas, real men have saddle bags and wear chaps. Saddle bags would be a great purse/equipment bag. Gear in front and "stuff" in the back bag. I think I'll go in business selling saddle bags as camera bags.

Suitcases can be suitcases, luggage, or bags. A small bag might be called an "overnighter", and if you are flying, it might be called a "carry on". Who ever said we have one language in this country? We have one language just as China has one. OK, did I clarify that for you? If not, let me know and I'll make another attempt.

Michael :bang:

Jonnyfez
03-23-2007, 18:29
I got a nice messenger bag after my twin boys were born. I'm basically a stay-at-home dad who works when the kids sleep. So I need provisions with me at all times. My bag contains an M2, a light meter, spare film, an Ipod, a cell phone, two sippy cups, two juice boxes, crackers, raisins, two bibs, diapers, wipes, changing pad and occassionally a Ringo Starr doll and a Yellow Submarine that my guys are very attached to.

mackigator
04-13-2007, 10:40
I didn't ... until recently. All my regular camera bags were either too boxy or screamed camera or both. Now I'm carrying a black Courierware camera bag that looks just like a small messenger bag. When I want it all, it holds 2 rangefinders, 3 lenses, a digital compact inside, plus room for a little bit of other stuff. I'm reaching for the camera gear more now that it lives in a bag that I can carry inconspicuosly most places.

foto_fool
04-22-2007, 20:28
Black Timbuk2 messenger bag - great for files, laptop, cameras, film, lenses, keys, phone, sunglasses, lottery tickets, sandwiches, etc. I carried a respectable leather breiefcase for far too long.

- John

NickTrop
04-23-2007, 04:55
Actually, the best camera bag is a women's handbag. Stylish too. 'mazing what you can fit in these things; I can bring my entire camera collection and all my lenses. They defy space/time, finding stuff is another matter though. I just grab one of those, throw on a wig, and stuff a couple tennis balls into a bra - ala Mrs Doubtfire, and use the handbag. I make for a pretty ghastly looking chick (especially if I have 5:00 o'clock shadow, see avatar), so the boys stay away (not that there's anything wrong with that...) People often ask why everyone is looking at the shooter with expressions of terror in my street shots. Perhaps this is the reason.

Letien
04-23-2007, 12:29
I got a leather shoulder bag from Mexico for 25 usd. I'm not sure if it for men or woman though the seller assured me that's for men. It's convenient to carry to work ( my work has nothing to do with photography)everyday with 2 RF camera in side pockets. When I need, I can drop a Rolleiflex in the main compartment. The main benefit is I can swing it to the back and it stay there so I can pick-up or carry my 1 yo daughter. Anyone know what will happen when a leica m3 hit a kid head.

NickTrop
04-23-2007, 14:06
I got a leather shoulder bag from Mexico for 25 usd. I'm not sure if it for men or woman though the seller assured me that's for men...

Buyer: Is this a bag for men too?
Seller: Ummmm, yeah, men wear these babies alla time here in Meheeco. You'll be on the cutting edge of style, I tellya...
Buyer: Why, it's a deal then! (Pays for item, walks away...)
Seller: Laughs hardy to self, shakes head, mutters "silly gringos..." as s/he counts his newly earned pesos.

Kidding :p

bensyverson
04-25-2007, 13:08
Timothy Greenfield-Sanders (http://www.greenfield-sanders.com/), one of the top portrait photographers in NYC, has apparently carried a handbag for years. Handy for tucking away a camera or two.

Here's a shot of him holding it:
http://www.artnet.com/Magazine/people/smith/smith4-26-35.asp

mike goldberg
05-11-2007, 01:11
My characteristic outfit, with jeans & vest, or for more dressy occasions, is one of those bombag pouches slung over my right shoulder, and a small gray, camera bag in my left hand. This works. Although I dress "down" in casual attire so as
not to call attention to myself, I do like dark red T-shirts :rolleyes:
Cheers, mike

P3tr
05-11-2007, 01:32
When i have to wear dress, yes. Its good for a p&s and personal stuff.

jaypolaski
06-13-2007, 00:59
I've been carrying one since before the turn of the "metrosexuals". I just have too much to carry not to, and it makes a wonderfully inconspicuous camera bag.

Thardy
06-23-2007, 04:15
My kids used a "messenger bag" on a vacation recently. Can that be a man purse? Can someone provide a link to purchase one?

TheHub
07-11-2007, 06:51
A purse? No.
I carry a National Geographic bag around on weekends. This one: http://national-geographic.binoculars.com/products/national-geographic-national-geographic-small-shoulder-bag-46837.html It fits a TLR and 35mm camera side by side quite nicely, along with a PDA, several rolls of film, a light meter and iPod (and sometimes cigarettes or a pipe.)

MatthewThompson
07-11-2007, 07:44
I've got a LowePro Stealth II AW backpack that I lug my gunk round in. Perfect size for overhead bins on aircraft. I'll be looking for something more discreet when I travel (hopefully with a Hexar AF and a brick of Reala)

cablesnarl
07-11-2007, 08:09
I have a shoulder bag that serves as my briefcase. I keep a camera in there with my other stuff if I'm traveling to or from work.

Otherwise I either carry the camera in my hand or wear it around my neck, or keep it in a zing bag attached to my belt (if I need a place to put it away.) I don't usually carry extra lenses. I like to travel light.

I do have a camera bag that can hold two cameras and a few lenses that I take when I travel, but I don't usually walk around with it.

Robert Price
07-11-2007, 18:49
well it's a backpack if that counts. weighs about 20 pounds too. hahahaha.
two cameras, assorted other stuff laptop, and perif's for it. two phones. you know the usual.

marke
01-19-2008, 17:17
I have my senses- ;)

Digicam? Really now! :rolleyes:

Rangefinders are "man cameras". Digicams are girlie cameras.

Of course, I keep my M6 TTL, IIIf RD, and...ahem, an LX-2 digicam in my leather-clad Sabastio's Reporter Satchel. And that's a tube of Chapstick you see in the back pocket, not lipstick!!! :cool:

crawdiddy
01-19-2008, 17:34
My laptop bag contains (in addition to laptop) mp3 player, glasses, as well as pens, notes and other geeky stuff. But, the expandable pocket is large enough to hold my F-1 with a lens, or my Canon 7 w/ 50mm f/0.95. I can sneak them past the security guards, and into the office, where cameras are officially banned. There, I photograph coworkers without guile.

It's technically a laptop bag. I guess if I carried everywhere it would be a man-purse.

Stu W
01-19-2008, 18:21
No, and I haven't seen "The Bridges of Madison County" either. You'll never hear "pass the quiche" and "turn up that Liza Minelli cd" in my house! :D

crawdiddy
01-19-2008, 21:17
No, and I haven't seen "The Bridges of Madison County" either. You'll never hear "pass the quiche" and "turn up that Liza Minelli cd" in my house! :D

Ditto on the Liza Minelli.

Btw, I'll have to try drinking 2 beers at once. If you can master that skill, no one would mess with you about a man-purse.

photobizzz
01-19-2008, 21:30
I guess I might if you call a Naneu Pro Lima a "man purse" although there is only a camera and lenses inside, no "accessories"

jbf
01-19-2008, 21:34
If you call a timbuk2 messenger bag a purse, then sure. But mine's pretty freaking large to be considered a purse of any kind.

Larky
02-17-2008, 04:45
I answered no, then realised that actually I do, and it suits the stuff I wear, so really I should be in the third category.

Whoops.

But, it only ever carries the G1, lenses, the GX-100 and the SP35. It never has my wallet or keys in it, but sometimes I leave my make-up in it.... ;)

hugivza
04-23-2008, 00:26
My wife has a black belt in shopping and the handbag to match! Given that I travel extensively as part of my work I have been known to carry a fetching little number in black leather which carries passport, tickets, and a copy of "The User's Guide to the Universe".

Papercut
04-23-2008, 07:14
I guess my large size Timbuk2 messenger bag qualifies as "man purse" -- hard to go anywhere without the laptop, research materials, a book or two, and, of course, camera ;-)

Kevin
04-23-2008, 07:34
Satanists like Jil Sander think men should carry stuff like this around (http://www.welt.de/lifestyle/article1781660/Maenner_verweigern_die_Handtasche__noch.html)!
Why don't they just neuter the sexes by genetically altering the world's water supply and be done with it?

literiter
06-24-2008, 08:02
Indiana Jones wears a purse!

Beemermark
07-28-2008, 19:46
I stuff it all in my pant pockets. I can usually fit a couple of lenses, cell phone, maybe a CLE body and a leatherman.

usagisakana
07-28-2008, 21:27
I carry a ridiculously large crumpler messenger bag, that could probably fit an entire person carrying a purse inside of it. That or I go for the $2 camera bag that came free with my DSLR.

Chris101
07-28-2008, 22:39
I have a canvas bag that I carry my camera and film in, and - I hate to admit - occasionally other items that are not photo related.

manfromh
07-29-2008, 01:18
Few years ago when I bought my Canon SLR, I got a free camerabag with it. It has Canon written on it in big big red letters. I decided I dont like the bag and its better if I just write "please mug me" on my forehead. I use it to store my Canon at home. If I need the camera somewhere else, its my backbag that gets used. Indluding on trips, cameras, film and clothes get stuffed into the backbag.

Though those National Geographic bags look nice. They are even available in Estonia, but price is 2x higher than in US (the small bag mentioned above by TheHub costs 85$ here).

tmfabian
07-29-2008, 02:29
I rock the man-purse these days. I used to go everywhere with my backpack with a small domke wedged inside it for my cameras to sit all happy in until a few weeks back i was walking and suddenly noticed some clown trying to unzip my bag as I walked. Granted the guy was a piss poor thief and nothing got jacked, but the man purse rests snugly on my hip and my hand rests over it preventing this kind of blindspot attack.