PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Your home is suddenly at flames

ruben
04-05-2006, 09:56
Many of us own several system cameras and lenses plus non-system cameras. Lets imagine you are alone at home, while suddenly you find your home is at flames. You do whatever you have to, and you are left with just a second or two, to pick only one camera and 3 or 4 lenses and get out:

a)Which, among all you have, will be that camera and those lenses ?

b) What camera equipment will you be leaving behind ?

c) Why?

Very cruel poll, but thrilling perhaps.
Cheers,
Ruben

bmattock
04-05-2006, 10:01
I'll leave it all behind. What are you, mad? With the insurance money I'll be buying lots of cool new stuff.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

JoeFriday
04-05-2006, 10:03
exactly what I thought, Bill.. LOL

I'd grab my laptop, before anything else, but I wouldn't bother with the cameras.. except maybe my Sonnar 50/1.5

ruben
04-05-2006, 10:07
exactly what I thought, Bill.. LOL

I'd grab my laptop, before anything else, but I wouldn't bother with the cameras.. except maybe my Sonnar 50/1.5

Would you mind to briefly tell us which cameras and lenses you "wouldn't bother" to leave behind and run instead for your laptop ?

sf
04-05-2006, 10:09
Bronica RF645 - and I will have saved my favorite/ONLY camera

I will leave the Yashica behind because I don't love it and it smells funny

Jocko
04-05-2006, 10:11
Cruel indeed, Ruben!

A) FED 1/I-10, Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm f.1.2, Tamron 17mm f.3.5.

B) (I'm assuming this means deliberately left behind!) Praktica BX20

C) The Fed is just lovely and has been through a lot, whilst the lenses are beautiful examples which I wouldn't want to loose. As for the Praktica... it's so very dull!:D

Cheers! Ian

ruben
04-05-2006, 10:12
I'll leave it all behind. What are you, mad? With the insurance money I'll be buying lots of cool new stuff.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Hi Guapo,
Am I to understand that
a) all your equipment is replaceable, and you do not own any old camera you cannot buy again ?

or b) perhaps you hate all your photo equipment ?

or c) you have cold blood calculated you will be profiting from the insurance company ?

or d) you are frustrated with what you have and dream for having new stuff ?

No sentiments, just money ?

ruben
04-05-2006, 10:13
Bronica RF645 - and I will have saved my favorite/ONLY camera

I will leave the Yashica behind because I don't love it and it smells funny

what Yashica ?

peot
04-05-2006, 10:16
IŽd leave all cameras and lenses behind - they can all be replaced. What IŽd grab is my negatives and my laptop - everyone of my pictures is uniqe to me and a memory that I wouldnŽt want to be left in the flames.

JoeFriday
04-05-2006, 10:17
Would you mind to briefly tell us which cameras and lenses you "wouldn't bother" to leave behind and run instead for your laptop ?
the conflagration would include:

M3
CL
Contax IIa
Canonet QL17 GIII
Vivitar 35ES
2 GSNs
3 Holgas
Kiev 4a
Rolleiflex 2.8A
Agfa Karat
Nikon D70
Panasonic DMC-FZ20

Summicron 40/50/90
Jupiter 11, 12, Helios, etc

but my Contax T is always in my car, so I'd have something to take pictures of the fire :)

bmattock
04-05-2006, 10:20
Hi Guapo,
Am I to understand that
a) all your equipment is replaceable, and you do not own any old camera you cannot buy again ?

or b) perhaps you hate all your photo equipment ?

or c) you have cold blood calculated you will be profiting from the insurance company ?

or d) you are frustrated with what you have and dream for having new stuff ?

No sentiments, just money ?

a) Yes. Mostly just old junk.
b) No, but it beats cleaning up after myself.
c) Why not? They profit from me, don't they? It's a business transaction. As long as I am not committing fraud, I am going to wring every penny I can out of them - as they do to me.
d) Always. You have no idea. You guys with your puny little GAS attacks, you make me laugh. However, having a LOT of cameras does not mean they aren't all JUNK. Sigh.

http://www.growlery.com/camera_insanity

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

PS - Since you brought up sentiment, ok, you win. I'd grab the Yashica 635 TLR my dad bought me when I was a lad. There, happy now?

bmattock
04-05-2006, 10:21
IŽd leave all cameras and lenses behind - they can all be replaced. What IŽd grab is my negatives and my laptop - everyone of my pictures is uniqe to me and a memory that I wouldnŽt want to be left in the flames.

I could not carry all my negatives - a small truck couldn't carry them all, either. But most of them SHOULD be burned. All I've ever written or photographed should be consigned to oblivion.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

bsdunek
04-05-2006, 10:22
1. I have to agree, I would grab my negatives first.

2. Second would be my Nikon bag - I know this is a rangefinder forum, but my two old F/FTN's are very dear to me, plus I have all those lenses and accessories.

3. Third - probably my Yashica Electro 35.

Gosh, I would hate to leave anything behind. Of course, before my cameras and negatives would be my Corgi, Reilly!

bmattock
04-05-2006, 10:22
it smells funny

I smell funny - I hope I'd be saved.

Best Regards,

Bill "Stinky" Mattocks

bmattock
04-05-2006, 10:23
1. I have to agree, I would grab my negatives first.

2. Second would be my Nikon bag - I know this is a rangefinder forum, but my two old F/FTN's are very dear to me, plus I have all those lenses and accessories.

3. Third - probably my Yashica Electro 35.

Gosh, I would hate to leave anything behind. Of course, before my cameras and negatives would be my Corgi, Reilly!

What kind of lens does a Corgi Reilly take? I'm not familiar with that brand or model.

Best regards,

Bill Mattocks

ruben
04-05-2006, 10:26

TO ALL CHAMPIONS LEAVING ALL CAMERAS AND LENSES BEHIND:

I have stated you have time to do what you have to (meaning in this case your negs, in other case the laptop, etc. ect) BUT I SPARED ONE OR TWO SECONDS TO CHOOSE AMONG YOUR EQUIPMENT, AND MANY OF YOU ARE CHOOSING TO RUN AWAY WITHOUT ANY.

ruben
04-05-2006, 10:29
aPS - Since you brought up sentiment, ok, you win. I'd grab the Yashica 635 TLR my dad bought me when I was a lad. There, happy now?

Yes, at least I can say you are a Guapito, for GUAPO I need more info.

Amicably,
Ruben

ruben
04-05-2006, 10:33
but my Contax T is always in my car, so I'd have something to take pictures of the fire :)

This was really good

Wayne R. Scott
04-05-2006, 10:37
I guess I would be like Robert Capa and when they recovered my body from the building they would find my Contax IIa with 50mm f1.5 Sonnar firmly clutched in one hand and my nikon just out of reach of the other hand.

Wayne

oftheherd
04-05-2006, 11:00
TO ALL CHAMPIONS LEAVING ALL CAMERAS AND LENSES BEHIND:

I have stated you have time to do what you have to (meaning in this case your negs, in other case the laptop, etc. ect) BUT I SPARED ONE OR TWO SECONDS TO CHOOSE AMONG YOUR EQUIPMENT, AND MANY OF YOU ARE CHOOSING TO RUN AWAY WITHOUT ANY.

First: Don't even think about it. Get out!

Second: Follow Bill's lead, but be over insured. Most of us don't realize how much we have in property of all kinds. Damaged or lost in a fire and it all has to be replaced. Don't think in terms of that pair of jeans or camera are old and now only worth $__.__. If gone, they have to be replaced at current market value, whether you can/wish to get used or new.

I came home from church one day with my family, to find many fire trucks in front of my home, and smoke coming from inside. I lost many cameras, and all my negatives and slides were damaged. Some 8 to 10 thousand slides, and I don't know how many negatives. Fortunately, my Fujica ST 901 bag and lenses, and my Super Press 23 and accessories, were saved, along with my Rolleiflex. It turned out more economical to rebuild than repair the house. Most property inside had to be replaced, but that said, you would be surprised what can be saved sometimes.

My family and I were lucky as far as I am concerned, not to have been inside. I/we might have been foolish and tried to save things. Actually, we might have been able to put it out in time, if we had discovered it in time. However, it is always best advice to assume you cannot unless very, very positive you can. Get out and save yourself and family. Any thing else can either be replaced or will not be missed as much as loved ones.

OK, I will get off my soapbox now. It's just that I have been there and it isn't hypothetical to me. I feel strongly about it. Especially the part about being overly insured. We weren't as far as personal property was concerned. There was much that couldn't be replaced because were weren't properly insured. I would hate to see anyone else get in that situation.

Like I said, I will get off the soap box now.

SolaresLarrave
04-05-2006, 11:13
For cases like this... all my Leicas are stored in a nice, big bag, which I'd grab in the unlikely event that your conditions were actually met, Ruben.

Of course, that only would happen after seeing that my wife & cat are safe, and only and only and only if I can grab them. See... my right ankle ain't what it used to be, and I simply cannot run.

Like Bill's gear, my stuff is covered in the home insurance.

brachal
04-05-2006, 11:18
I went through a similar senario when we evacuated New Orleans before Katrina. The only camera that made the cut was my Nikkormat FTn w/ 50mm 1.4. It was my father's; he bought it when I was born, so there's some sentimental value. Other than that, I left everything, even my much loved bass guitars. It's remarkable how unimportant most of your "stuff" becomes when you're really confronted with an event like that. In retrospect, I wish I'd brought more. 4 changes of clothes, passport, tax documents, mp3 player, and a 37 year old camera isn't much to save when you're looking at losing everything.

It worked out OK though. I'm one of the very few who lost nothing in the storm. I'll never be that lucky again.

Fedzilla_Bob
04-05-2006, 11:53
Get the wife out the bedroom window

Stuff the cats in a pillow case or two and hand them to the wife

Get the Mother-In-Laws mutt

The cameras and negatives?- nothing there worth 3rd degree burns or worse. I prefer to keep my glorious good looks rather than looking like "Fireman Bill."

dazedgonebye
04-05-2006, 12:00
You'd have to switch the fire to my car to really hurt me. Nothing really compelling in the house as far as cameras are concerned.
If I did not have it with me, I'd grab the Retina IIa, because it belonged to my father-in-law.
I'd also grab my external hard drive because it is typically a month or so between off site back-ups and I'd hate to lose that info.
Negatives...sure, I guess. On the other hand, they are all scanned so it would not be a loss worth much of a risk. (I don't make a living at this.)

wlewisiii
04-05-2006, 12:08
I'd grab my son in one arm and, if I went past it on the way out, I'd grab my camera bag. Whatever is in it would take shots of the rest of them turning into Ebay "Minty" cameras :eek:

William

back alley
04-05-2006, 12:25
first, i'd save my dog. she is one of the few things in life i truly love.

all my camera gear is in a few bags/cases in the same place. they all have long straps to hang on my overweight body, so i'd save them all.

i have suffered through several major floods and an unbelievably jealous first wife so i have lost lots of negs, no big deal.
for me it's not the pics i have taken but the ones i'm gonna take.

joe

kbg32
04-05-2006, 12:31
I'd grab my negative books, hard drives, and the cat. Everything else can be replaced.

Honu-Hugger
04-05-2006, 12:44
I'd have my wife inside relaying equipment out (being inside would give her incentive to move faster). First the Alpas and Kinoptik lenses, then Contaxes, Rolleis, Nikons, and if there was any time left the Leicas...

Doug
04-05-2006, 13:45
The thread is useful in giving us some incentive to think priorities. Fortunately, I have a large safe that will withstand heat and fire for quite a while. In the corner of two outside masonry walls, so there's not a lot of fuel around it. So I would concentrate on any gear not in the safe and of course the negative files. Maybe, no, *surely* there's need for another safe...

Ok, ok, I would make sure to save my CLE, two Summicrons, and a batch of SMC Takumars. And the rare Bronica RF 100mm Zenzanon! :D

reagan
04-05-2006, 14:28
Aaaah, this is an easy one. I'd grab the Leica.III, stroll out on the lawn, take a few shots of the flames (have to be fast though. My house is a crackerbox!!) Then maybe twaddle over to Carl's house for cup of joe and a phone call to the local FD, sit down in one of Carl's lawn chairs and wait for the show.

The Zorkis? Pffft... they'll be alright. Ya think a little housefire can scratch FSU Iron? C'mon, gidd-oudda-here! After the smoke cleared, I'd sift through the ashes, dig out the Boys, blow the dust off ... and get off a few shots of the firemen rolling up their hoses.

jacema
04-05-2006, 14:30
Well in one hand I would have the negative book with everything I've shot of my late son and in the other I would have a Nikon F2 w/MD1 & a 24mm loaded with colorfilm - moving backwards out of the building shooting constantly - could be some great pictures.

Jacques

You can't find peace by avoiding life!

bmattock
04-05-2006, 15:05
Jacques, I'm sorry to hear you lost your son. You have my sympathy and of course I would understand why you would want to keep those negatives. Have you considered having copies made or scanning and saving the hard drive in a safe place other than your house?

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

jacema
04-06-2006, 13:08
Thank you Bill - and yes I have not only thought of it, I have bought myself a new scanner a couple of weeks ago, but it is going to be a bit cumbersome. I think it sums up to 2-3000 negatives so it's not done during an afternoon - but Easter is right around the corner, so perhaps I can get a good part of it done.

Jacques.

MelanieC
04-06-2006, 13:45
What I'd save:

(1) My favorite dog. I have three dogs, but anyone who has ever had a special dog knows that some of them are just, well, Your Dog. So Solo would come first.

(2) The other two dogs. Actually, they are all very obedient so as long as I had one I'd have them all.

(3) My laptop because my entire academic life resides on it.

(4) My M3 is always in my purse so it would be relatively easy to save as long as I had time to grab my purse.

Given 5 more seconds I'd throw the Rolleiflex 2.8F into my laptop bag and run like hell. I live in a studio apartment so it isn't very hard to find and pack things in a hurry if need be.

I'd be leaving behind two Nikon digital cameras and all of my negatives. I haven't taken enough photos yet, and none of enough artistic or sentimental value as of yet, to take the time to grab those. The Leica and Rollei have extreme sentimental value so I would try to save those.

wlewisiii
04-06-2006, 13:56
One good thing about this thread is that I got ahold of our insurance agent this afternoon. We have 102k in personal possessions replacement (beyond the value of the house) with a $500 deductable as part of our homeowners insurance. The good news is that my cameras are automatically covered - for theft, fire, lightning,etc at home, in the car, and this is worldwide coverage. If I'm in vacation in Mexico and someone makes off with the bag full of cameras & lenses, I'm only out that $500 deductable. At this point, it would be hard for me to sustain a >$500 loss, but it's nice to know that if I ever got a new M or S3-2000 it would be covered.

If I wanted breakage insurance, _that_ would require an extra rider and expense. Not something I'll pay for just yet... :D

So thanks for bringing up the topic.

William

fgianni
04-12-2006, 02:39
That is what I would do in order of importance

1) Get the kids and wife out
2) Grab at least one of the two external HDs with all my digital photos and scans in it.
3) Get out.

You see I am not that worried about hardware equipment (including cameras) since I can always replace it with the insurance money.

dostacos
04-21-2006, 06:29
Many of us own several system cameras and lenses plus non-system cameras. Lets imagine you are alone at home, while suddenly you find your home is at flames. You do whatever you have to, and you are left with just a second or two, to pick only one camera and 3 or 4 lenses and get out:

a)Which, among all you have, will be that camera and those lenses ?

b) What camera equipment will you be leaving behind ?

c) Why?

Very cruel poll, but thrilling perhaps.
Cheers,
Ruben

I would, time permiting, grab my 5XB domke bag with my canonet 17. It is in pristine condition and not replacable. If possible I would next grab my "little bit smaller bag" that has my bessa's.

the SLRs and KIEV medium format stuff gets replaced with insurance money....

dostacos
04-21-2006, 06:35
Aaaah, this is an easy one. I'd grab the Leica.III, stroll out on the lawn, take a few shots of the flames (have to be fast though. My house is a crackerbox!!) Then maybe twaddle over to Carl's house for cup of joe and a phone call to the local FD, sit down in one of Carl's lawn chairs and wait for the show.

The Zorkis? Pffft... they'll be alright. Ya think a little housefire can scratch FSU Iron? C'mon, gidd-oudda-here! After the smoke cleared, I'd sift through the ashes, dig out the Boys, blow the dust off ... and get off a few shots of the firemen rolling up their hoses.

hurt'em nah.... just give them enough cosmetic damage to pass for leicas for the insurance :D :D :D

Rich Silfver
04-21-2006, 07:03
1) I'd save my Leica IIIF and M3 along with the two lenses that are almost permanently on them (Elmar 50/3.5 and Summicron 50/2).

2) I'd leave behind about 30 cameras, many of them rangefinders

But if the poll was 'what would you save - cameras or negatives/slide' - I would leave all cameras and save the negatives/slides.

jamiewakeham
04-21-2006, 07:07
Hmm. Can I assume that, along with the cats, my negs, slides and the significant other, I have already thrown my '78 hardtail Strat out of a window?

In that case... damn, this is hard! Certainly not the EOS. Maybe the zorki and I61 L/D, maybe the SPII and 135/3.5 Zeiss Sonnar. They're probably the two combinations that feel 'rightest' in my hand. But to be honest, all my cameras are so easily replaceable that I'd grab whatever came first and a roll of velvia!

Cheers
Jamie

raid
04-21-2006, 07:11
I would grab as many old family photo albums as possible plus anything else that simply cannot be replaced. Then call the insurance company. This thread reminds me to update my inventory for insurance purposes. Who would believe me that I have 12 50mm lenses ...?

Pherdinand
04-21-2006, 07:34
I would grab my little dumb digital point and shoot
:P

jano
04-21-2006, 07:50
Get the Mother-In-Laws mutt

And what of the mother-in-law? :D :angel:

berci
04-21-2006, 09:00
My only camera is always with me, I would run for my slides. Even if my camera happened to be there, I would run for the slides and negatives.

You can replace the camera.

tkluck
04-26-2006, 20:06
Friend of mine rushed home after a tornado and found literally nothing but his wife and baby, alive under a mattress in the bathtub. That, part of the bathroom wall and a concrete slab. He said he didn't give a thought to his over 10,000 slides of Texas wildflowers until someone sent one back to him (along with some papers) from Arkansas.

nyx
04-26-2006, 22:40
Well...

I would probably grab my Bronica SQ-B with all my lenses for it (50,80,180).

Which means following cameras would go to camera heaven:
Nikon D70 + 45/2.8 AI-P
Hexar RF + M-Hexanon 50/2 (I got it yesterday, so I don't have proper attachment to it yet)
and my mother's cameras, OM-1 and OM-2n with 24,50,35-70,135 lenses.

ruben
04-27-2006, 01:06
Well...

I would probably grab my Bronica SQ-B with all my lenses for it (50,80,180).

Which means following cameras would go to camera heaven:
Nikon D70 + 45/2.8 AI-P
Hexar RF + M-Hexanon 50/2 (I got it yesterday, so I don't have proper attachment to it yet)
and my mother's cameras, OM-1 and OM-2n with 24,50,35-70,135 lenses.

You seem to have been born in a very creative photo environment. I wish I had the same for my daughter. But she says digital only (and ipods, 3rd generation cellulars, etc. - quit normal no? - If you agree, help me pay for it !)

Cheers,
Ruben