PDA

View Full Version : RF Camera Beauty Contest - THE FINAL !!

Rich Silfver
02-27-2006, 19:57
Here it finally is...the final candidates for the title "Most Beautiful RF camera ever made".

Another 340 votes were cast across the two semi finals making this a total of almost 1,500 votes casted in total since this began by at least 200 unique users.

I urge you again - before you cast your vote: Really consider what - to you - is the most beautiful, where design bring out beaty and that truly deserve this title.

(Any photos included in this poll are as always just samples).

Let's have at it - cast your vote and let's see who the final winner is !!!!

OH - and post something in this thread as well about your vote or about yourself - would be great fun to see who these 200 members are that have taken an interest in this voting !!!

dcsang
02-27-2006, 20:07
GO M3 GO !!

Dave :D

lkgroup
02-27-2006, 20:10
I wished I had all these cameras to compare first hand. I'm going with the M6.

Leo

For an affordable camera is the CANONET QL G-III GREAT.

Stephanie Brim
02-27-2006, 20:11
GO P GO! :p

Rich Silfver
02-27-2006, 20:11
Canon P is in the lead !!!!

back alley
02-27-2006, 20:13
all those m cameras will eventually split the vote and leave the obvious beauty to bask in all her well deserved glory.

:)

wlewisiii
02-27-2006, 20:14
Of these, it's easy to pick the P. I'd have had much more trouble if my earlier favorites had made it :D

William

dadsm3
02-27-2006, 20:16
Just how you western *******s won the last election...... :D

back alley
02-27-2006, 20:20
Just how you western *******s won the last election...... :D

i can honestly say that i have never voted for anyone who won.
and i may be prickly but i am not a *******...;)

dadsm3
02-27-2006, 20:25
Sorry Joe, not YOU of course. Are you the only Grit or NDP'er in the whole province? Just wondering since you mentioned splitting the vote.....

ErnestoJL
02-27-2006, 20:29
I voted the M6.
I like many other cameras which iMO are really a beauty (I´m a Zeiss Ikon Contax fan), but... I´ve got to admit that the M6 is somethng special to me. I had only once one of those in my dirty hands, and it felt the way a well made camera should be, a bit heavy, rock solid and stable. That´s the kind of beauty I allways appreciate, not only the external appearance.

Ernesto

back alley
02-27-2006, 20:33
Sorry Joe, not YOU of course. Are you the only Grit or NDP'er in the whole province? Just wondering since you mentioned splitting the vote.....

yeah, i'm mostly a liberal but i have worked a few ndp campaigns too.

doubs43
02-27-2006, 20:35
No Leica III of ANY model? It's been rigged!!

Walker

Trius
02-27-2006, 20:37
I know this question is really late in the contest, and I know I wasn't paying complete attention in the opening rounds, but ... whatever happened to the Pen F? Shoulda been a slam dunk!

I'm sitting out this round. Only one of my choices from the semi-finals made it, none from the first round. No offense to the P, the Mx, etc.

Joe: We just gotta get an NDP leader that can live up to Broadbent and go even further.

Rich Silfver
02-27-2006, 20:37
No III's.... You can see the results from the semis here... http://www.pbase.com/rsilfverberg/image/56627410.jpg

Rich Silfver
02-27-2006, 20:39
I know this question is really late in the contest, and I know I wasn't paying complete attention in the opening rounds, but ... whatever happened to the Pen F? Shoulda been a slam dunk!

Unless there's some other Pen F out there I don't know about I think the Pen F is an SLR.

dadsm3
02-27-2006, 20:43
Talk about hypcrytical...voted Tory myself this time. Went with my wallet instead of my heart. Still have nightmares about a creationist like Stockwell having a cabinet spot......but give'em a shot at it.....better than those Grit gangsters. The Tories have a pretty sort leash right now....
But pretty scared of a Tory majority after seeing what happened down south.....

back alley
02-27-2006, 20:47
the short leash is the only thing allowing me to sleep at night.

and yeah, i could not bring myself to vote for the 'ditch pigs' as my nd friends call them.
there is just so much you're allowed to get away with before having to pay.
joe

sorry for stealin' this thread...

dadsm3
02-27-2006, 20:54
yeah,we call 'em ditch pigs out here too.
And I'm one of the them.
It's a sad day we Canadians have to vote strategically, but just consider our US friends who only have two parties to vote for!
Mike

Krasnaya_Zvezda
02-27-2006, 21:03
True beauty is not always appreciated by the great unwashed... I lament that no Barnack Leica made the final cut... but of the remaining candidates, I admire most the exquisite lines of the MP, so my vote went there.

SolaresLarrave
02-27-2006, 21:08
No black cameras? Were they eliminated in previous rounds?

Also... the pic for the M6 is, in truth, an M6TTL (easy to tell because of the two silver lines in the VF window; the M6 has only one in the bottom).

Sorry... I'm a bit of a nitpicker at times... :(

But will cast my vote soon! :)

rbiemer
02-27-2006, 21:12
This has been fun! The trick for me was to divorce the cameras I want from the the cameras that are beutiful in and of themselves. And it's nice to know that there are 16 other people that like the Zorki 3m at least as well as I do!
All the Leicas are excellent cameras from what I hear but they share a family resemblance that sort of mutes their aesthetic appeal in this situation so I voted for the Canon P. If the final options had been different I might have chosen differently. Or not; the P is a wonderful(to my eyes) example of 50s/60s industrial elegance!
Rob

pdx138
02-27-2006, 21:13
I can't believe no Barnack Leica made it! For me any of the Barnacks are tops for elegent deseign - I'm split over the iiif for the classic look and the iiig for combination of modern and classic.

Of the cameras that made it, my vote is for the P. It has such great modern, clean lines. But I'm afraid if it wins it will drive up the price and I don't have one yet...

RayPA
02-27-2006, 21:14
The P could fare well here, with the sheer number of M cameras spreading the M vote. It's a nice list, all winners—design wise.

Rich Silfver
02-27-2006, 21:14
No black cameras? Were they eliminated in previous rounds?

Also... the pic for the M6 is, in truth, an M6TTL (easy to tell because of the two silver lines in the VF window; the M6 has only one in the bottom).

The photos are just samples. You vote on the camera - not on the sample photos. Anyone who is unfamiliar with a particular camera make should browse the net for additional images.

jlw
02-27-2006, 21:17
What's the point in voting? All these are good-looking cameras, but the really distinctively beautiful designs already have been eliminated.

I suspect we're demonstrating Kenneth Arrow's impossibility theorem, which demonstrates that any conceivable democratic voting system can yield undemocratic results (and for which he won the Nobel Prize in economics in 1972.)

jan normandale
02-27-2006, 21:22
I only own beautiful cameras. I don't see any cameras I own on this list. Therefore there are no beautiful cameras to vote for. If there was even one beauty which I didn't own in the lot I'd vote.

In my opinion everyone who voted these cameras into the finals are confused. Sadly functionality is not beauty.

So to save RFF from itself I'm writing in my candidate on the ballot it's ... Kodak Bantam Special

BTW here is a link to my blatant attempt to sway the results...

Ken F.
02-27-2006, 21:54
Hi Rich,

Still like that MP, glad it made it to the finals!
Again, thanks for all of the time you have put into this, it's been fun!

Cheers,
kf

Laurence
02-27-2006, 22:04
The MP is so clean that it makes me ache. What a beauty.

harry01562
02-27-2006, 22:09
Beauty, as has often been described, is in the eyes of the beholder. I like clean, simple lines. Simplicity and functionality are not easy to accomplish, as evidenced by almost all digital cameras. The P has the right combination of those factors, with an almost stark beauty. The M3 comes close, but is a bit more rugged and assertive. I'm fortunate to own both cameras, and a number of others that were on earlier ballots. It was difficult picking, as I love the look of the IIIf RD ST, and almost equally the IIIa. Again, I'm the fortunate owner of an example of each.

I do think the different models of the M-series split the vote. There isn't enough real difference, in my eyes, between things like the M3 and the MP. It's clear that the basic design, the GrandPapa (M3) was a winner. Leitz should be applauded for working around the design, rather than changing it for changes sake. Again, simplicity and functionality.

The true beauty of either camera can best be judged not by the eye, but by the use. They are totally fun to use, and they have been performing, in most cases, for longer than most members of this forum have been on the Earth. They are examples of an almost dead philosophy of producing quality by using top materials and a superior design assembled by trained and highly skilled humans. What a peculiar vision to todays management, trained to a bottom line strategy by cookie cutter MBA programs.

And our Municipal Orchestras are in deep trouble, Opera Companies are cutting corners, and Uncle Sam is passing out large grants to what a purist can only think of as diseased "art". Interesting world we live in....

Sorry to drift this far from the subject, but I stand by my 3rd paragraph...

Harry

leica M2 fan
02-27-2006, 22:20
Those are all great choices but since this is about sheer beauty I have to go with the M2,M3,m MP and such a hard choice but I'll go with the MP.

jan normandale
02-27-2006, 22:50
Harry, you are the subject of an earlier post I made. Functionality is not an axiom for beauty. In the art vs science debate you are clearly a science person. Recant and vote for the Kodak.. you know you want to... "beauty.. beauty" , do you hear the siren call?

BTW here is a link to my blatant attempt to sway this poll...
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=240064&postcount=16

laptoprob
02-27-2006, 23:14
Too bad all the M's are split-up. To me all M's are more or less the same design. Extended and added on, yes. That usually means the origin is the purest form. No coinicence the MP was modeled after the M3.
CLose call therefore between the M3 and M2.
I vote for the M2 because of it's simpler front. Less ridges and edges. Less is more.

cheers, Rob.

chug
02-28-2006, 00:08
Go the chrome M6! GO!

pvdhaar
02-28-2006, 00:10
None of the cameras I voted for in the first round made it to the semi-finals. And again, neither of the ones I voted for in the latter made it to this final round. Which is to be expected, because I favored the odd, the unconventional.

What's funny to notice though, is that a particular and in my view very utilitarian form factor seems to get top votes across the board. So for me this was the hardest round. Vote went for the M6 the bravest of the designs, because of the slanted rewind lever.

suckerpunch
02-28-2006, 00:23
i cannot stand that little screw where the red dot should be.....graphically, i think the M6 is the most beautiful camera...

aizan
02-28-2006, 00:30
what about the battery compartment?

sircarl
02-28-2006, 01:14
My personal favorite -- the IIIf -- didn't make the final cut. So I voted for the MP. It seems to me the design epitome of the entire M line -- clean, superbly functional, without the slight awkwardness that you find in all the other cameras on this list. And this is from someone who not only doesn't own an MP but probably (unfortunately) never will!!!

Silva Lining
02-28-2006, 01:38
Hoorah for the Canonet, go Canon go!

Rich Silfver
02-28-2006, 01:43
Wow, 86 votes in and only three votes separates the leading M3 from the two closest ones behind (MP and Canon P). Anything can happen - get your votes in !!! :)

If I didn't mention it before - this is also a two day poll.

varjag
02-28-2006, 01:51
MP.

Can't say am thrilled with the final overall. Way too many Leicas :)

rover
02-28-2006, 02:13
MP.

Can't say am thrilled with the final overall. Way too many Leicas :)

Yeah, but this is what got through.

That said, with all those Leicas up there, I went with the original M. The rest are just look a likes.

Brian Sweeney
02-28-2006, 02:27
I'm voting for the M3 because my daughter told me it was beautiful and never said that about any of the Nikons. Not even the Mint Black Shintaro painted SP.

Film dino
02-28-2006, 02:34
A vote for Rich for organising the whole thing... no mean task & producing lots of fun
David

Gid
02-28-2006, 02:43
M6

There are no ugly cameras in this list.

If the vote was for the most beautiful and affordable camera, then the P would get it. Never owned a leica, so no brand allegiance, but they do look good and the M6 particularly pleases my eyes.

Maybe we should have another poll - most beautiful camera under $200 :)

Gid

AGN
02-28-2006, 03:26
With the absense of Barnack's, I had to go with the M3.
Art

Trius
02-28-2006, 04:08
Sigh, yeah, it's an SLR. Sheesh, my brain was out for a walk. I meant one of hte Pen VF models, but they're not true RFs either. Gulp!

So now I'll vote for the M5!

taffer
02-28-2006, 04:31
I have a sweet spot for the black SP w/35 1.8 I have printed and hanging on my desk wall, it has something which makes me think on a 60's Corvette.

The Zorki 3M is a really elegant interpretation of the Barnack design.

But none of them are here, so my vote goes to where my heart is.

My chest !

Em.. I mean, Canon P :)

Brian Sweeney
02-28-2006, 04:48
I have a mint Nikon S2 Black Dial. Got it at a great price. Never have an auction end during the last quarter of the Superbowl.

And a BEAUTIFUL chrome SP... And a Black one.

So let the Leica win.

VinceC
02-28-2006, 05:25
Well, there might have some structural/statistical errors to this poll if you end up with four M bodies competing against each other. The M really is one design with some variations. Might've been a bit more useful to run an M against a Canon against a Contax IIa against a Barnack against a Kiev/Contax II against a Nikon with a couple of the elegant others thrown in for good measure. The Leica Ms will always win just because of sheer numbers of users. But this poll really has kind of devolved into a "pick your favorite M."

In this particular field, I vote for the elegant simplicity of the Canon.

unohuu
02-28-2006, 05:50
MP for the silky and spartan appearance .

titrisol
02-28-2006, 07:41
none of the above

Benjamin Marks
02-28-2006, 08:17
Hard to comment w/o seeming to take it all more seriously than one ought. BUT, I think it would show something more interesting about aesthetics of the group if there were one example of each type. After all, the differences in look between/among the M2/M3/M6/MP are trivial compared to M2/IIIg. What will this tell us if 90 people prefer the basic Leica M proportions, but a plurality of 37 prefer the Canon P? I don't have the coding skill, but I'd like to see a vote for the aesthetics of different design philosophies (Cannon P/Leica IIIg/Lecia M/Zeiss Ikon/Contax II/Nikon SP) rather than the "Leica M vs Canon P" runoff that the drawing produced.

Not a knock on Rich - it has been fun, after all. So long and thanks for all the fish.

FrankS
02-28-2006, 08:31
Thanks for doing this Rich!

Perhaps we could follow up with another poll with choices among the classics. The M's could be grouped together, the Barnack's together, the Contaxes together, the Nikon's together, and the later Canon's together. Or perhaps have preliminary polls to choose the favourite M, Barnack, Contax, Nikon, and Canon, and then run those off against eachother.

darkkavenger
02-28-2006, 08:52
As stated by others, way too many Leicas here. I vote for the MP, more than a camera : an instrument, a tool in the hands of the photographer-image/moment creator. Brutal and accurate. :)

Charlie
02-28-2006, 10:25
Being an incredibly shallow and superficial person, I have the perfect eye for assessing beauty. It's the M2, although that Canon P is a looker.

Brian Sweeney
02-28-2006, 10:31
I would just like to add that my daughter could have predicted this outcome.

I'll leave her just the Nikons to get even.

George S.
02-28-2006, 11:10
I just knew the M3 would win the popularity vote, but I had to vote the underdog, the Canonet, just for being able to hang in there with all those snobby and much more expensive Leicas.....

Kara
02-28-2006, 11:15
Voted for the GIII, although those leicas are quite yummy looking Ive never used one first hand, hence my vote ;)

FrankS
02-28-2006, 11:20
It's all wasted time anyway, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Having done some wedding photography I've learned that there is aleast one person who finds the bride attractive. Looking at cameras is better time wasted than getting drunk at a bar in the afternoons.

allthumbs
02-28-2006, 12:21
Go P! You're no contessa, but you're pretty fine.

RayPA
02-28-2006, 12:45
I've a Canon P sitting on my desk, and it is an incredible looking camera. Truly some of the finest lines of any camera. I can't bring myself to put it back in its bag. But there is beauty and magic in the M cameras that can't be found anywhere else.

The P says 'Look at me. I'm gorgeous,' and while I use my Canon P, I'm almost content just to gaze upon it, like a static piece of art.

The M camera seems to say "Look at me. I'm gorgeous," too, but it just begs to be held and used. That's the allure, the beauty behind the beauty, the beauty that inspires, and exactly why my vote goes to the M (specifically, M3).

allthumbs
02-28-2006, 12:57
RayPA, that's exactly what I meant when I said a round or two back that a camera's beauty is in the eye of the holder. As we're down to a bunch of cameras I've never held, I can only behold and vote accordingly!

kbg32
02-28-2006, 13:09
MP gotta be black!

kbg32
02-28-2006, 13:12
It's all wasted time anyway, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Having done some wedding photography I've learned that there is aleast one person who finds the bride attractive. Looking at cameras is better time wasted than getting drunk at a bar in the afternoons.

Well said Frank!

jan normandale
02-28-2006, 13:38
Frank, obviously you are speaking for yourself...... I might visit one after witnessing this "leica binge" and "it's not time wasted, it's time well spent". Look at Leicas or visit a bar..... hmmmm... anyone want to join me? Cheers!

SolaresLarrave
02-28-2006, 13:53
Rick, I was just being facetious.

Thanks for investing time and effort in this endeavor. It's fun!

And I admire the lines and design of the M bodies, but in particular the M3. Hence, my vote went for that one.

Let the winner in! :)

KoNickon
02-28-2006, 13:56
Well, I thank Rich for doing this -- a fun exercise and probably pretty time-consuming on his part. But I have to say I voted for the P, rather as a protest. Seems to me the Ms should have been one entry as a group -- they are just too similar (except for the 5) to warrant separate treatment.

A poll of which M the group likes best might be a good idea.

allthumbs
02-28-2006, 14:07
A poll of which M the group likes best might be a good idea.

As it turns out, that is what this poll seems to have become, more or less. :eek:

RayPA
02-28-2006, 14:10
RayPA, that's exactly what I meant when I said a round or two back that a camera's beauty is in the eye of the holder. As we're down to a bunch of cameras I've never held, I can only behold and vote accordingly!

Hi Allthumbs,

My post wasn't a reply to yours (I hope it didn't come out that way), purely coincidental that they're one after the other. I was just trying to define, elaborate and explain my vote. Without a doubt the P deserves to be here. (I think I predicted it would be here in one of the semi-final rounds.) For me the difference is that not only do I enjoy looking at the M3, but I want to pick it up and use it, as well, while I'm content to look at the P (if that makes sense). I don't have an M3 (never held one, in fact), but I have an M camera. :)

Thanks.

allthumbs
02-28-2006, 14:50
For sure, Ray, you were very clear, and very eloquent, too. And that is really all I was trying to say! I completely agree that holding and using a camera will change your perception of it, for better or worse. I think that's the trouble people are having with this poll. I think it is impossible to consider a camera's objective design, whether aesthetic or mechanical, in a way completely divorced from one's subjective experience of not only that camera, but every camera one has known. Some of us are endeavoring to do exactly that anyway, while some of us are doing the opposite and treating "beauty" as a purely subjective experience.

I hope we're all enjoying the exercise.

John
02-28-2006, 14:53
I like the MP. You can dress it so many ways. :D

Gabriel M.A.
02-28-2006, 16:24
Francisco: there's always the Leica a la Carte Credite! For the principle of it I wouldn't get one; just go straight for an M3; I've fondled many of them. True beauties they are.

VinceC
02-28-2006, 17:38
>>Seems to me the Ms should have been one entry as a group -- they are just too similar ... <<

C'Mon. They're not similar at all. I mean, the M3 has a self-timer and the others don't. That makes it stand out in my book. :)

SolaresLarrave
02-28-2006, 17:56
There's also the top plate design: the front windows get special treatment in the M3: very elaborate and ornate... something that won't appear in the M2 and later bodies.

So... they're not quite alike, although their insides (with very minor exceptions) remain the same.

When does this poll close? :confused:

Rich Silfver
02-28-2006, 19:10
In...25 hours :)

je2a3
02-28-2006, 19:10
Form follows function = M3, the first RF camera I ever owned. It started my fascination with photography and collecting gear. Although on sheer aesthetics, I would prefer one of the early black enamel Barnack [Leica II or III], the M3 wins in terms of design for ease of use and facilities offered in such a compact package.

Joseph

dadsm3
02-28-2006, 20:20
I like the eyebrows on the VF windows of the M3.....something was lost when they were deleted.

MelanieC
02-28-2006, 23:22
Well, this is fun -- I apparently own two of the hottest rangefinders out there. And to think that last Christmas, I didn't even understand what a "rangefinder" was...

I just got a Canonet (it was $35, I couldn't say no) and while it's cute, I wouldn't call it beautiful. To me it's just a bit gawky. But it's solid and easy to use and I might think it more beautiful if my first roll of film through it turns out well.

Still, I'm looking forward to getting my M3 back from its CLA trip. There's something about that camera that makes me want to use it AND fondle it. I don't fondle the Canonet. Then again, I'm terrible about playing favorites among my dogs, too.

RayPA
03-01-2006, 09:08
I think it's great how the M3 and the MP are fighting it out. The first model and the latest model neck-and-neck to the wire.

Brian Sweeney
03-01-2006, 09:16
What?

The M3 is winning by 3 Votes!

In politics, that would be considered a mandate.

allthumbs
03-01-2006, 12:23
From what I've read about the M3, it would easily win a "most fondlable" poll.

sirius
03-01-2006, 16:09
I'm amazed that people are voting for Canonets. Whoah, is that a protest vote against all the German hardware?

PaulN
03-01-2006, 16:58
Ahhhh the beauty of the chrome MP. I've oggled that picture for years until I eventually bought one. Every now and then, when I throw it down on a seat or table, it still catches my eye. I love my R-D1, but there is something about the simplistic nature of the MP. I get more reactions while toting that camera around than any other one.

It's neck in neck with the M3 though. 53 M3 vs 51 MP.

Brian Sweeney
03-01-2006, 17:10
The Canonet is a very pretty little camera. One in Black brings in close to a user CL.

I think the "Eyebrows" on the M3 are to accommodate the "EYES" on the 35mm lenses.

einolu
03-01-2006, 17:48
i hope leica doesnt see this,
they might raise prices by claiming that
the mp is not only a very good camera
but also a work of art!

DougK
03-01-2006, 17:57
I don't own one and probably never will, but that M2 is pretty.

StuartR
03-01-2006, 18:07
I voted for the M3 over the MP, but it was extremely close. I think the MP has cleaner lines and the chrome is a bit nicer to my eye. The new covering also looks better to me, though it is not as nice in use. But the edge goes to the M3 because of the better, more complete engraving, and the beautiful film type indicator on the back. Those little pictures are much more elegant to me than the simple M6 or M7 style wheel on the back of the MP. They are so close though.

MP Guy
03-01-2006, 18:33
comon folks. 3 more for the mp :)

erudolph
03-01-2006, 18:41
I find it hard to vote for any candidate that has only a front view.... that would be the m6 and the mp. You can't really vote for either of those based on the jpegs, can you?

cp_ste.croix
03-01-2006, 18:58
come on MP!!!!

Rich Silfver
03-01-2006, 19:41
233 votes in and the poll closes in...19 minutes :)

rcmckee
03-01-2006, 19:51
Of the available options the MP is a winner by a very short nose; the M3 is just classic... but any of the above in black would beat out any of the above in chrome, for my part.....

MP Guy
03-01-2006, 19:57
extend it another day. i just sent out spam :)

Rich Silfver
03-01-2006, 20:00
Haha, can't do that. Only moderators can change a poll once it's set off I belive :)

a.black
03-01-2006, 20:03
but any of the above in black would beat out any of the above in chrome, for my part.....
yeah I argued about color once shortly. Just imagine them in nice black paint :rolleyes: and then decide for the MP :p

Oh yeah welcome to the forum.

MP Guy
03-01-2006, 20:07
i can change it to 3 day instead of 2. is that ok with you? let me know. I just sent out spam to 4000+ members letting them know about the upcoming server move and told them about the poll.

Rich Silfver
03-01-2006, 20:08
Ok please extend with one day more - I've deleted the "winner" post. :)

Its all for fun anyway and the more the merrier :)

Go one more day...

And..GO CANONET :)

Gabriel M.A.
03-01-2006, 20:10
Hmm, not the first time it's happened on this contest theme. A thread created...people comment on it...it disappears...

MP Guy
03-01-2006, 20:11
i feel bad. its your post. but if you say its ok i will do so. at leat the people will know about it in the mail they get.

Doug
03-01-2006, 20:12
Well, it looks like the honors go to the M3, most gorgeous camera of all time... :D I have to admit voting for the MP, but it was very very close among all the M bodies with rewind knobs (the tilted crank spoils the lines for me), and I think the Nikon S3 is right up there among the best looking too even though it didn't make it to the finals.
Edit: Oops, looks like things were going on even while I was composing my post!

Rich Silfver
03-01-2006, 20:14
I say let it run for one more day - this was intended for fun from day one anyway and what can be more fun than getting more votes - I cant see how anyone would argue with that :)

(Oh and Jorge - I deleted the 'winner' thread but it was posted as 'news' and it still shows in the news section on the top of the front page..can you clear that up?) :)

Rich Silfver
03-01-2006, 20:15
OK...24 more hours to get your votes in !!

Make sure you vote with your eyes and heart :)

NL2377
03-01-2006, 20:16
Of course, the one that I vote for has the least amount of votes! M6 all the way, baby!

Rich Silfver
03-01-2006, 20:18
And now the M6 still has a chance :)

jan normandale
03-01-2006, 20:23
please please please.... end it now , please?

Rich Silfver
03-01-2006, 20:25
Sorry Jan it will be one more sleepless night.

Just remember..it is all for fun :)

Avotius
03-01-2006, 20:34
been in love with the m3 for a long time but for some reason i ended up with slr stuff....hm....

gosu_john
03-01-2006, 20:40
I voted for the Canon and though I love the looks and feel of it. I gotta admit the vote was pretty much an un-informed and biased one since I only used that out of all the cameras posted up for votes here. But like Rich said its all for fun. So, at least from a poor student's point of view with limited resources, gogo Canon GIII! *grin*

ZivcoPhoto
03-01-2006, 20:47
No Barnacks and no Nikon SP..how is that..two of the most beautiful???

Rich Silfver
03-01-2006, 20:50
See here for the nominees and the semi finals and how the SP and barnacks didn't receive enough votes: http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00FTjU&tag=200603011103

MP Guy
03-01-2006, 20:58
And the MP takes the lead :D

ch1
03-01-2006, 21:07
My goodness - the Leica MP is in the lead!

I voted for it when Brian Sweeny pointed out it was only 3 votes behind!

Now it's in the lead.

It is one of the ugliest cameras I can think of!

Go MP!

An unfair poll revealed! :eek:

Every thinking person knows that Nikon S's are the prettiest and most (pre- built meter) excellent cameras on the planet :p !

Rich Silfver
03-01-2006, 21:11
Holy crap. The MP jumped up in the lead !

Hey Jorge, you know you can only vote once right? :D

pfogle
03-01-2006, 21:14
M3 for me: 1 to 1 V/F and a 50mm...

nemjo
03-01-2006, 21:21
My vote went for the M3. I do like the frames around the windows...
and easy to imagine a collapsible on it. And then dream for one...

nemjo

dadsm3
03-01-2006, 21:22
How close can you get?
But seriously, the new MP's are nice, and EVERYBODY wants one except FrankG, but the basic design is still 1954. The days of the cold war, Adenhauer, Krushchev, Eisenhower and a young Sinatra, and rock&roll still a work in progress.....pure, simple, honest and unpretentious German post-war engineering, with Teutonic functionality the primary concern. Beauty in simplicity.....
Lets face it, the Germans were never cutting edge when it came to aesthetic design. But they sure scored with the the M. Now they know better and hire Italians to their design work.......but it sure would have been interesting to see what kind of camera Enzo Ferrari would have designed back then.....

ch1
03-01-2006, 21:36
How close can you get?
But seriously, the new MP's are nice, and EVERYBODY wants one except FrankG, but the basic design is still 1954. The days of the cold war, Adenhauer, Krushchev, Eisenhower and a young Sinatra, and rock&roll still a work in progress.....pure, simple, honest and unpretentious German post-war engineering, with Teutonic functionality the primary concern. Beauty in simplicity.....
Lets face it, the Germans were never cutting edge when it came to aesthetic design. But they sure scored with the the M. Now they know better and hire Italians to their design work.......but it sure would have been interesting to see what kind of camera Enzo Ferrari would have designed back then.....

Hey, they setup the poll so only Leicas could win.

Ho hum....

arif
03-01-2006, 21:42
Hi, hello, first post - lovely place you all have here and all that new person jazz. :)

While the M6 sort of reminds me of a svelte, graceful movie star that I once dreamed about in my early teens, my vote goes to the rather attractive girl next door beauty, the GIII.

Oh yes.

dadsm3
03-01-2006, 21:43
You mean Rich did?
Not his fault...... should he have realized it was going to be a Leica only final? Tough to guess beforehand. Hindsight's 20/20...I agree, next poll should be better. M2/M3/M4/MP grouped and the M6/M7 grouped.
Thanks for the time Richard, it was fun.
Mike

RayPA
03-01-2006, 22:14
Wow! The M2 is gaining on the 'P'! Sweep? When does this end?

Rich Silfver
03-01-2006, 22:16
8pm, PST, March 2nd

Didier
03-01-2006, 23:24
It's a pity the cameras are not shown in black.
:bang:
And the shown M6 is a M6TTL, finally. The classic M6 with it's 2.5mm lower top plate looks better.

JohanV
03-02-2006, 00:54
I go for the M2; classic good looks can't be beat...

TimH
03-02-2006, 01:48
When I look at a modern car, part of whether I like it or not depends on whether I could recognise it from across the street. It often seems that they are not so much designed to inspire, as to not offend too much. You have a Final line-up of cameras that I would be hard pressed to tell apart from the far end of a large dining table.
Classic lines, elegant simplicity, does the job extremely well. What am I describing, a Leica or a house-brick ?
Think I'll stick with the old'uns, at least I know which one's which.
Regards,
Tim.

floydking
03-02-2006, 04:56
It lasted so long because it's perfect. ;)

wclavey
03-02-2006, 05:37
After college and before graduate school, lo' these many years ago, I was the lead technician in a research lab and I was very active in photography. I had just finished a stint as the associate photo editor for our daily paper at school and had had a small collection of prints in a show in New York (I went to Columbia). Our main microscope in the reasearch lab had a Leica afixed to it - - something far out of the price range of a recent undergraduate and soon-to-be poor graduate student. I looked at that body every day for 3 years, many hours a day. I voted for the M2 because it reminded me of my first love.

Pherdinand
03-02-2006, 05:58
Well, in objects like cameras, cars, furniture i prefer the ones without rounded corners.
So, go canon p go.
Although the contax iia looks better than all the finalists here!

Joseph Low
03-02-2006, 06:54
The M2 is in my humble opinion the basic camera for most applications and travelling - mine is fitted with Tom Abrahamsson's Rapidwinder and its fast!
With the 8 element Summicron 35mm f2 - it becomes an all purpose rig for most
situations.

I own also the M3, M6 and Canon P - but it is the M2 that I take out more often

Joseph Low

Chuck A
03-02-2006, 08:22
I am taking the M6. I love the angled rewind knob. The M3 came a close second.

AGN
03-02-2006, 10:39
Rich,
Ignore all the cry baby remarks, and know in your heart, you did a great job.
Let one of them run the next one.
Best, Art

Doug
03-02-2006, 11:24
The one-day extension is resulting in dramatically changed numbers!

Rich Silfver
03-02-2006, 11:27
I noticed....377 members voting so far ..that's an additional 150-or-so in the last 16 hours.
Quite a few of them favoring the MP...I see Jorge's wicked plan now :)

RayPA
03-02-2006, 11:34
I noticed....377 members voting so far ..that's an additional 150-or-so in the last 16 hours.
Quite a few of them favoring the MP...I see Jorge's wicked plan now :)

The push on the QL GIII past the 'P' is more impressive, and IMO perplexing (there's another wicked plan :) ).

back alley
03-02-2006, 11:40
do you have to be a member to vote?

maxiebreenge
03-02-2006, 11:48
I've just come to this poll at the last minute. What happened to the Canon VT? Why wasn't it nominated? It's a great rangefinder!

Rich Silfver
03-02-2006, 11:54
See the s/sheets here for what happened to the Canon VT camera - and other nominees:

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00FTjU&tag=200603021203

(The Canon VT made it to the semi finals with 17 votes..but only received ONE vote in the semi finals and did not make it to this final round...).

Rich Silfver
03-02-2006, 11:57
do you have to be a member to vote?

Yes - and you can only vote once.

Nice try joe :)

Does it have anything to do with the fact that the Canon P now has dropped to the last spot (which I must admit I don't think it "deserves")?

ch1
03-02-2006, 12:19
Hmmm...given the way things keep "moving" - is the Florida Elections Commission running this poll? :D

RubenBlaedel
03-02-2006, 12:25
been of this forum for a while - still a great place i see :-) i actually like the IIIf better for looks but of the models mentioned i like M2, M6 classic and M3 in that order - The M2 is beautiful in its simplicity - hope you are all doing fine and enyoing your rangfinders - best- ruben

ijohnnyz
03-02-2006, 12:44
I just like the placement of the rewind knob on the M6. Reminds me of a prison snitch hat.

RayPA
03-02-2006, 13:01
Hmmm...given the way things keep "moving" - is the Florida Elections Commission running this poll? :D

It's tempting to suggest that someone would create multiple RFF identities just to vote in a poll for the most BEAUTIFUL rangefinder, particularly with so much personal investment in, or loyalty or spite for, a particular brand. But nobody would do that...would they? ;)

MP Guy
03-02-2006, 18:09
No cheating here. I know who voted for what :) There is a little feature in the admin section called "who Voted"

davidbivins
03-02-2006, 18:39
I voted for the Canon P because I use and love a Canon L1, which is quite similar. The L1 is completely practical. It's an excellent, solid body that's easy to load, has a huge selection of Leica screw mount lenses, and was designed with human factors in mind. Note the flash connection bayonet; the fold-in rewind knob; the lever wind; the elegant shutter speed knob. Every day I use it, it's more and more difficult for me to take out another body.

And then the lines - so sharp and gorgeous. No "sculpting" of the chrome - it's all machined and can withstand anything.

I was just looking at the P again on CameraQuest.com, in black, and if that's not the most beautiful camera ever, I'll eat my hat.

I'm sure my eye will wander again, but that's how I feel right now.

Bully
03-02-2006, 21:44
Hello Jorge,

when will this poll stop?

Greetings Bully

julianphotoart
03-02-2006, 21:57
I was just looking at the P again on CameraQuest.com, in black, and if that's not the most beautiful camera ever, I'll eat my hat.

Correct, sir!

Rich Silfver
03-02-2006, 22:27
This poll is now CLOSED.

Go here for the final comments: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=243213#post243213

leica M2 fan
03-04-2006, 17:18
This was a great poll, many thanks to Rich and all his hard work. The cameras were all great choices from the beginning and very representative across the board. I voted for the MP but since I have an M2 was very swayed toward it as well as the M3. Finally decided to go MP but any one of them are great selections. How about the Canon QL17,huh? Right there with the big guns !

george1956
03-28-2006, 20:56
i like my konica hexar RF with 50mm f2.0 and my mamiya super 23...

the RF for the chromes and the super 23 for 8X10s.

i've also got a yashica lynx f1.4 rangefinder from the 60s that is good for low light work..

and a konica S2 that has shutter lag, used for indoor available light work and for night abstracts.

Richard FRANCES
05-04-2006, 02:05
The original, the M3. When I was a child, I've saw during 20 years in the window of a photographer of my street a very big miniature in wood of the M3. "Proust madeleine's"? Of course .

raid
05-04-2006, 11:10
A camera looks more beautiful when you have it with a beautiful lens. The M3 was not shown with a lens.

narsuitus
07-11-2006, 21:46
The poll is closed but if I could vote, it would be for the Leica MP.

Carlos Cruz
09-10-2006, 09:01
is that russian 35 on canon p? how come? I tried to put 35 on my p :) and it wouldn't work

Magus
10-16-2006, 02:53
Post deleted by posters request