PDA

View Full Version : RF Camera Beauty Contest: GROUP B

Rich Silfver
02-22-2006, 23:08
Before you cast your vote please read up on the rules here: RF Beauty Contest Rules (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=236140#post236140)

These are the cameras in GROUP B.

The top THREE cameras in this group will go on to the semi-finale against the top three cameras in GROUP A.

(You can vote once in all groups).

Try to disregard price, rarity, etc and simply vote on the camera that is most pleasing to YOUR eye..

Please keep in mind that this is all for fun and to of course finally find out what camera is the hottest one on the block :)

This poll will be open for two days so please get your votes in before it is too late :)

NOTE: THE SAMPLE PHOTOS ASSOCIATED WITH EACH CAMERA IS IS JUST THAT - A SAMPLE - I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO BROWSE AROUND THE INTERNET FOR MORE IMAGES IF YOU ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH A PARTICULAR CAMERA MAKE

Rich Silfver
02-22-2006, 23:20
This group was personally much harder to select my own favorite in.
I went between Contax II/IIa, Nikon S3 and Leica IIIf....

sf
02-22-2006, 23:24
OK - this isn't fair, Rich. I don't mean to assert any legitimate right to criticize your poll, here, but shouldn't the formats be separate? I can't see comparing a Bronica RF645 with a Leica IIIF - they have NOTHING in common but that they both allow one to take pictures.

RayPA
02-22-2006, 23:29
I made my mind up when I saw the list, but I looked at every picture just to make sure. It confirmed my decision. ;)

Rich Silfver
02-22-2006, 23:32
OK - this isn't fair, Rich. I don't mean to assert any legitimate right to criticize your poll, here, but shouldn't the formats be separate? I can't see comparing a Bronica RF645 with a Leica IIIF - they have NOTHING in common but that they both allow one to take pictures.

Nah, let them all compete on the same field - and they do have one significant thing in commong: They are cameras. It doesn't matter if they take 35mm/MF/LF images and it doesn't matter how big or small they are - just cast your vote based on the design and how function is married with estethics.

(If the above sounded good I'm happy - cause the alternative answer is that I'm way too lazy to break all cameras up in categories and have category-winners) :-)

Rich Silfver
02-22-2006, 23:33
I made my mind up when I saw the list, but I looked at every picture just to make sure. It confirmed my decision. ;)

I surprised myself - I didn't vote on a Leica or Olympus camera....

sf
02-22-2006, 23:35
Well, darn. Can I change my vote? :D

Kidding. Kind of.

Rich Silfver
02-22-2006, 23:35
Question to everyone:

Are the photos I include in the poll useful - or is there a risk you'll only look at that ONE sample photo I quickly googled to instead of browsing around on your own and see 10's of photos that may represent the camera better?

Rich Silfver
02-22-2006, 23:38
Well, darn. Can I change my vote? :D

Kidding. Kind of.

Eh..I don't know how...think I'd need to have admin rights.
But if you can get joe to 'remove' your vote in some way so that you can re-vote I'm fine with that :)

sf
02-22-2006, 23:38
I looked at the photos . . . sort of AFTER I voted. But, I love my RF645, and I'd stick with my vote through sickness and health.

I really love folding cameras too.

RayPA
02-22-2006, 23:47
Question to everyone:

Are the photos I include in the poll useful - or is there a risk you'll only look at that ONE sample photo I quickly googled to instead of browsing around on your own and see 10's of photos that may represent the camera better?

Very helpful.

P.S. I'm surprised the Oly hadn't ganered a vote, too! There are some beautys in this list.

Shutter: I agre with Rich, let them compete on the same level. The fact that the one thing they all have in common is that they take pictures is enough. I don't think format makes a difference in whether a camera is nice looking or not. It certainly challenges the designers (form follows function). The Bronica is far from the ugliest in the both groups A, or B. That Linoff is gorgeous, just not as gorgeous as the camera I picked ;).

Rich Silfver
02-22-2006, 23:52
P.S. I'm surprised the Oly hadn't ganered a vote, too! There are some beautys in this list.

Yeah, the much more even spread in this group is a pretty clear indicator that this is a much more 'even' group.

(I'm looking forward to Group C - some really nice ones ended up in that group...)

pvdhaar
02-23-2006, 02:02
While I think it's fine that we have this contest, we all should keep in mind that none of the contestants is a punishment to own..

Rich Silfver
02-23-2006, 02:15
While I think it's fine that we have this contest, we all should keep in mind that none of the contestants is a punishment to own..

From the top: "Please keep in mind that this is all for fun..."

pvdhaar
02-23-2006, 02:25
From the top: "Please keep in mind that this is all for fun..."
Ah, here my non-native-English background shows.. What I meant is that it's so unfortunate that 'there can only be one', I mean these all look so very nice! I can't even vote..

Rich Silfver
02-23-2006, 02:32
No worries - English is so not my first language either :)

James Burton
02-23-2006, 04:27
Next you guys will be asking Luigi to make a half negligee for your Leica IIIf or whatever. Can I have a topless in USA flag? Can I have the extra grip thingy as well?

Sheesh :-)

James

TimF
02-23-2006, 05:41
I voted for the Retina II in this group - don't own one, but its got that certain something. The Contax II would have had my vote except that you bundled the IIa in with it, and those post-war versions just aren't the same.

KoNickon
02-23-2006, 05:43
Now, I will be annoyed if it happens that Leicas win all the groups they're in. Come on, folks, let's think originally here!

dmr
02-23-2006, 06:05

They are very helpful since I don't know what many of these look like off hand. I admit that if you didn't post those, I could not have seen the difference between the Nikon S3 and the Nikon SP.

oljim
02-23-2006, 07:03
Fun idea, Rich.

Glad to see the Voigtlander Prominent made the list. Definitely one of the prettiest cameras ever made, imo, even if a little counter-intuitive to use.

However, if a Futura S or similar made the list it might have got my vote. They are really beautiful.

Rich Silfver
02-23-2006, 10:28
Wow, great turn-out at the voting booths - over 100 votes cast in just this group.

As a reminder: There is a total of 79 cameras that you will get a chance to vote on (I have only had time to post groups A and B so far - groups C-F are coming later this week) :)

Rich Silfver
02-23-2006, 10:34
Btw - we are pretty consistent - 123 votes casted on Group A so far and 120 votes casted on group B.

I should be able to post at least group C tonight.

Joe Vitessa
02-23-2006, 11:40
Would love to see a Voigtlander Vitessa L on the list sometime! Thanks for setting up this enjoyable exercise.

Joe

Rich Silfver
02-23-2006, 11:48
Would love to see a Voigtlander Vitessa L on the list sometime! Thanks for setting up this enjoyable exercise.

Joe

There is a Voigtlander Vitessa coming up for voting in GROUP F :)

Gabriel M.A.
02-23-2006, 17:58
For the record: I voted for the Linhof Technica 4x5 here; I think it's the most beautiful of the "group" here, no matter what my personal camera choice or bias is.

Brian Sweeney
02-24-2006, 08:58
Well I hope the SP and S3 do not knock each other out of the running. They are "Sisters", and look much alike.

Rich Silfver
02-24-2006, 11:24
I actually voted for the S3 in this group - I find its design more pleasing than the SP :)

Brian Sweeney
02-24-2006, 11:35
In some ways the S4 is even nicer, no Self Timer and the Black Manually reset counter.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1776

zpuskas
02-24-2006, 12:23
Photos are very helpful and it's quite interesting comparing them. Great idea! Thanks.
I voted for the Olympus 35SP simply because of its clean lines.

st3ph3nm
02-24-2006, 16:52
I actually voted for the S3 in this group - I find its design more pleasing than the SP :)

Ditto. And so it's funny to see the SP out-running it.
"...in the eye of the beholder".

2nd, for me would have been the Retina or the Voigtlander. That was a particularly poor pic of the Retina, though. :)

You know, pity this is a "first past the post" vote. Here in Australia we're more used to preferential voting systems. ;)

Cheers,
Steve
(at least this vote isn't compulsory)

Brian Sweeney
02-24-2006, 17:38
Well, I have at least one of each of the top four in this group; I'm covered...

and the Retina and Voigtlander...

Rich Silfver
02-24-2006, 17:49
NOTE: THIS POLL IS CLOSING TODAY AT 23:12PM (PST) - in about 5 hours from when this posting was made.

Thanks to all 196 people that voted in this group !!!

Remember - only the TOP THREE cameras in this group will advance to the next level..so if you haven't cast your vote yet make sure to do so :)