PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for 'best looking camera poll'

Rich Silfver
02-21-2006, 18:39
Thought I'd set up a poll to see what RF camera(s) the RFF community considers to be most esthetically pleasing but wanted to get some suggestions on what cameras should be in the running.

So far, potential candidates are;

35MM
* Ansco Autoset / Minolta Hi-Matic
* Argus C3
* Argus C4
* Bell & Howell Foton
* Bessa L
* Bessa R2
* Bessa R2A/R3A
* Canon II-series
* Canon III-series
* Canon IV-series
* Canon P
* Canon 7
* Canon L-1
* Canon VT
* Canonet QL G-III
* Casca 2
* Contax II/IIa
* Contax III/IIIa
* Contax G2
* Contax T
* Epson RD-1 *Included as a 35mm camera
* Fed 2
* Fed 2e
* Fed 3b
* Ilford Advocate
* Kiev
* Kodak Bantam Special
* Kodak Signet 35
* Konica Hexar AF
* Konica Hexar RF
* Konica S3
* Leica II (D)
* Leica III (F)
* Leica IIIc
* Leica IIIf
* Leica IIIg
* Leica M3
* Leica M2
* Leica M4
* Leica M4-P
* Leica M5
* Leica M6
* Leica M7
* Leica MP
* Leica CL
* Mamiya Super Deluxe
* Minolta CLE
* Minolta 7SII
* Nikon SP
* Nikon S2
* Nikon S3
* Olympus 35RD
* Olympus 35SP/SPn
* Olympus XA
* Revere Eye-Matic
* Rollei XF 35
* Voitglander Prominent
* Voigtlander Vitomatic II
* XPan/Fuji TX *Included as a 35mm camera
* Yashica Lynx 14E
* Zeiss Ikon
* Zorki 3M
* Zorki 5

Folders
* Bessa II
* Ensign Autorange 820
* Mamiya 6
* Plaubel Makina (original)
* Plaubel Makina 67/W67
* Zeiss Contessa
* Zeiss Super Ikonta
* Retina IIc
* Retina IIIc
* Voigtlander Vitessa N

Medium Format, non-folders
* Bronica RF 645
* Mamiya 6/7 MF
* Mamiya Super Press 23

Large Format
* Graflex Speed Graphics
* Linhof Technica 4x5
* Wista 4x5

Welcoming any comments or suggestions on changes to the list.
Please only request camera bodies that YOU feel are great looking - this is not intended to be a complete list of all RF cameras ever made.

=======

peterc
02-21-2006, 18:41
Zorki 3M

Peter

John
02-21-2006, 18:45
You could add the Contax G2. Pretty nice looking unit, black or titanium.

wlewisiii
02-21-2006, 18:46
Canon II/III/IV series of cameras.
Argus C4

The other contenders, for me, are already in your list.

Interesting idea. I'll have to think about it for a long while after you set up your poll.

William

back alley
02-21-2006, 18:51
minolta cle

a.black
02-21-2006, 18:57
Leica M3 Black Enamel or Black Paint MP for that matter

Rich Silfver
02-21-2006, 18:59
It will be impossible to take colour into consideration - the voting will be based on the physical aspects of the camera.

a.black
02-21-2006, 19:01
then just the mp

Little Prince
02-21-2006, 19:02
I was going to say CLE too (and/or CL).

Gordon Coale
02-21-2006, 19:02
Leica IIIc

back alley
02-21-2006, 19:07
rich, will you be dividing the cameras into categories?

dadsm3
02-21-2006, 19:07
Oh Oh...you're asking for it! Just for the Leicas alone, black/chrome/painted, with/without selftimers or preview levers, which version MP's, and people furious no M6's or M7's, or 'O' series and the other Barnacks.....you'd better specify NO lenses allowed, just plain body caps. Let's face it, a Leica with a Summilux looks a lot better than one with a cheaper lens.
This is going to be better than the ultimate fighting league...let the bloodbath begin! :D
Gotta love it!!

Finder
02-21-2006, 19:09
The Hexar AF or RF?

Why none of the Fuji or Mamiya medium-format rangefinders? I don't understand why anyone could forget the Plaubel Makina. The Linhof and Wista 4x5 rangefinders are not going to make the grade? Lots of folding rangefinders are missing as well.

I have a feeling voting is going to be hard - so many choices.

cp_ste.croix
02-21-2006, 19:10
Leica MP is my vote

Finder
02-21-2006, 19:10
You should throw in the space camera, the Ansco Autoset (Minolta Hi-matic) that NASA converted for the Friendship 7 flight.

Rich Silfver
02-21-2006, 19:12
dads,

a) Feel free to request M6, M7 to be added to the list before I setup the poll and I will include them. :)
This goes for anyone out there - if there is a camera body YOU feel strongly for and don't see it in the list above - post it here and it will be added.

b) Colour/Leather version will not be taken into consideration - the permutations would be insane

c) Model versions will not be taken into consideration (eg: Leica IIIf BD, Leica IIIf RD w/ or w/out ST will have ONE option: "Leica IIIf". Hopefully the person voting and loving a IIIf, RD and ST will be 'happy enough' if the "Leica IIIf" selection wins :)

Rich Silfver
02-21-2006, 19:15
The Hexar AF or RF?

Why none of the Fuji or Mamiya medium-format rangefinders? I don't understand why anyone could forget the Plaubel Makina. The Linhof and Wista 4x5 rangefinders are not going to make the grade? Lots of folding rangefinders are missing as well.

I will add Mamiya 6/7 as an option.
I will add Linhof as an option
I will add Wista 4x5 as an option

Please feel free to add other specif requests as well (folders, etc) - but please (and this goes for everyone - only request bodies that you truly think are great looking - it's not intended to be a complete list of all RF cameras in existence...

Jon Goodman
02-21-2006, 19:30
What? Nobody loves the Revere Eye-Matic 127? Gee.

Jon

dadsm3
02-21-2006, 19:33
Although I have an M6 I'm not going to request it be added....it might take away votes from my fave! :p
OK...I formally request you add the M6 and M7. Might as well be fair....I just didn't want this to degenerate into a "what camera do you have?" poll......
Big dif between chrome and black aesthetically though.....but I understand you have to draw the line somewhere.
Great idea Rich, this is going to be a hoot.....

sf
02-21-2006, 19:33
The RF645 is just hot. As much of all attractive attributes as any camera could have :

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=22574&cat=5544

or even better in some ways (another RF645 pic) :

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=19873

So that camera has Medium Format. Though Gordon's Agfa Isolette is pretty too.

But, I actually find the chrome M3/Summilux combination to be quite attractive. All Chrome, of course. Pretty much the obvious choice, I'd say. But in 35mm, it is hard to beat.

M3/Summilux is my final vote.

RayPA
02-21-2006, 19:37
Why no M7?

dadsm3
02-21-2006, 19:40
Shutter, you're cheating! All that chrome and all that glass......it's just not a fair fight anymore.

RayPA
02-21-2006, 19:44
Why no M7?

You're on top of it, Rich!

My three favorites are there now (CLE, M7, and Canon P). Now...which one to vote for?

:)

Krasnaya_Zvezda
02-21-2006, 19:52
I'll nominate the stunning Art Deco icon, Argus A2b.

RayPA
02-21-2006, 19:53
I think you need to separate the Bessa R2 from the R2A/R3A. Those are two distinctly different body types.

rpsawin
02-21-2006, 19:59
I vote for the one I have in front of my face when I'm shooting.

Bob

dmr
02-21-2006, 20:01
I would like to nominate the Mamiya Super Deluxe, my first and current rangefinder, for consideration. Very stylish for the 60's with a black face before black was trendy. Quite retro now ... :)

Rich Silfver
02-21-2006, 20:08
I've asked Jorge to temporarily lifte the limit of 15 options when posting a poll.
If we can't do that I will post the poll in 3-4 post: "Cameras A-K", "Cameras L-O", etc.

I thought about having categories like "Best looking folder, best looking MF camera, etc" - but it would be a bit odd with just a few options in some categories so - since this is just for FUN - it will be ONE big batch of cameras to choose from and you will simply have to make up your own mind if your lovely folder is better looking than your sexy 35mm compact camera you got. :)

Rich Silfver
02-21-2006, 20:09
dmr, I got a Mamiya Super Deluxe and I love it.

wlewisiii
02-21-2006, 20:14
Do a round robin - once you get choices in the first round then set them up in a second round against each other. Not anymore a "scientific" than many or an approach to the statistics, but it might well be fun.

William

Rodinal Addict
02-21-2006, 20:14
FED 3b: the best lines, simple, straight, clean, uncluttered.

Rich Silfver
02-21-2006, 20:18
William, that's a pretty good idea and sounds fun - AND it would allow you to vote more than once as the field is narrowed down.. :)

Sort of like taking the candidates to semi-finals and finally..the grande finale with the few hot options that gets to slug it out... :D

Say, for instance... four initial groups.
Everyone can vote in each group.
Voting goes on for two days.

The top three in each of group 1 and 2 battles it out.
The top three in each of group 3 and 4 battles it out.

The top two from each semifinale goes onto the grande finale where four cameras compete.

Who will be...Iron Chef Cuisine!! Oops..wrong forum... :) but you see what I mean :)

Sounds fun.

Keep those suggestions coming..if you don't request it may not get a chance to become... BEST LOOKING RF CAMERA EVER

amateriat
02-21-2006, 20:48
The Hexar AF or RF?
Oh, heck, do we have to choose?

Agreed - although it doesn't quite have that "Texas Leica" look down like some of the Fujis, the Makina 67 is a MF fave of mine - in fact, the only MF I'd willingly part with a good chunk of cash for right now.

'Twas ever thus...

- Barrett

julianphotoart
02-21-2006, 21:07
The ILFORD WITNESS is THE most elegant RF, closely followed by, lest we forget, the inestimable Canon P.

But seriously, the Ilford Witness is utterly beautiful. If someone has access to, or can provide a link for, a decent photo of this camera, that would be great. I couldn't find any nice photo to attach to back me up.

Rich Silfver
02-21-2006, 21:14
Ilford Witness:
http://website.lineone.net/~mauricefisher/Ilford%20Camera%20Thumbnails/tn_WitnessPW.jpg

julianphotoart
02-21-2006, 21:14
And I agree with Finder that we need some folders. Super Ikontas, Voigtlanders such as the Bessa II, original Plaubel Makina, and my favourite -- the Ensign Autorange 820.

trittium
02-21-2006, 21:39
The Plaubels are very very very pretty. Mamiya also make a Folding Mamiya 6 when Japan was occupied. It has an Olympus Zuiko lens. I find mine rather appealing.

Rich Silfver
02-21-2006, 21:56
There are now 58 nominees in the list at the top.

The way the voting will occur is as follows:

Groups
There will be X number of groups (4 or 6).
Let's assume six groups:

A, B, C, D, E and F

Each group will have the same number of cameras in them.

The list of cameras will be randomized so no logic will applied to what group they go in to.

Voting will be open for two days.

You can cast ONE vote in EACH group.

The top THREE cameras in EACH group will be allowed to go forward to the next level.

Semi-finale 1: A's top-3 cameras will battle against B's top-three cameras (total of six cameras)
Semi-finale 2: C's top-3 cameras will battle against D's top three cameras (total of six cameras)
Semi-finale 3: E's top-3 cameras will battle against F's top three cameras (total of six cameras).

Voting will be open for two days.

You can cast ONE vote in EACH semi finale group.

Then..on to the FINALE.

The TOP camera from EACH of the semi-finale groups (three cameras in total) goes on to the finale where you can once again cast your now FINAL vote on..the best, damn looking RF camera there is !

Keep your nominations coming - remember - nominate only camera bodies that you really feel strongly about.

Ken F.
02-21-2006, 22:10
Another vote for the MP here.

Cheers,
kf

laptoprob
02-21-2006, 22:15
This final setup sounds like the Olympics!
Would be nice to see how this works out.
Which FEDs and Zorkis are included now? At first I only saw the FED3. Surely the first models by FED and Zorki, faithful Leica clones must be included. Or should they be considered as votes for the Leica II counterparts?

cheers, Rob.

laptoprob
02-21-2006, 22:18
Just remembered, How about the Casca, or the Casca 2? Those are design relics!

Rob

Rich Silfver
02-21-2006, 22:19
Rob,

I'm not an expert in any of the Russian cameras.
Right now, see above, the only russkies that are nominated are;
- Fed 3B,
- Kiev (as one generic option to vote on), and
- Zorki 3M

If you, or anyone else, feels strongly about any particular Fed/Zorki/Kiev model that is currently not listed then please nominate it and I will add it to the evolving list at the top.

(The beautiful Casca 2 has been added to the list).

RayPA
02-21-2006, 22:39
I think we need a 'Favorite Photographer' poll, like this one. If anything this poll will be one heck of a reference list.

Rich Silfver
02-21-2006, 23:50
We may have enough of nominations for me to post the groups for the first round of voting but before I close the nominations and start the first round of voting I thought I'd check.

Below is a list of cameras that so far are NOT nominated by anyone (just in case you had forgotten they exist) :)

Let me know if there is anyone out there that feels strongly about any camera in the list below - or any other RF camera model currently not in the list at the top.

Leica I/Standard,
Leica II,
Leica M5,
Olympus 35LE,
Leica M4-P/2,
Zorki 4K,
Kiev 3,
Fed 2,
Fed 4,
Kodak Retina IIIs,
Fuji 6x9,
Yashica Electro 35GSN,
Voigtlander Prominent,
Graphic 35,
Welmy six,
Kiev 4M,
Agfa Super Silette,
Werra 4,
Taron 35,
Aires 35,
Samoca III,
Agfa Isolette III,
Etc....

Frank Granovski
02-22-2006, 00:56
The Kodak Signet 35. :cool:

The Voigtlander Vitomatic 11. :cool:

Brian Sweeney
02-22-2006, 01:33
Folders:
Retina IIc

35mm:
Nikon S2 Black Dial- The final run of Nikon S2's with Black Dials and Distance Scale.
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1777

unohuu
02-22-2006, 04:23
My vote goes for the beautiful Vitomatic II

Krasnaya_Zvezda
02-22-2006, 06:05
Woops, Argus A2b has to go out. Not a rangefinder. Seeing the other Argii in the list, I let my enthusiasm for the A2b get the best of me, and ignored that it doesn't fit the poll criteria. It's a screaming beautiful camera, though, if you've ever held a good one in your hands...
As a replacement, I nominate the Retina IIIc.

je2a3
02-22-2006, 06:33
My FSU nomination: Zorki 5 1st version

Leica: II [Model D] black enamel with nickel fittings

Joseph

AGN
02-22-2006, 06:54
Voigtlander Vitessa N (folders)

Rich Silfver
02-22-2006, 07:10
List updated

KoNickon
02-22-2006, 07:13
I'm glad I read all the way through and saw that the Retina IIc and IIIc were nominated. I would also add to the medium format folder category the Voigtlander Bessa II and for a 35mm folder the V'lander Vito III. I don't think either of these were mentioned before.

Brian Sweeney
02-22-2006, 07:25
Do we get "advocates" for cameras? Or at least collect photo's for them?

FrankS
02-22-2006, 07:29
Here are my nominations: Contax II and IIa, M2 and M3, Leica III (F), Fed 2e

dmr
02-22-2006, 07:33
dmr, I got a Mamiya Super Deluxe and I love it.

I'm really surprised this camera is not any more popular than it is. Very few people here seem to use it regularly.

I daresay that if it makes the cut as a nomination for best looking camera, it will probably get one vote, mine. :) Somebody here in a thread a while back even referred to it as "ugly." :confused:

Oh well, let's see how the poll goes. :)

GeneW
02-22-2006, 07:54
Rich, what is the intent of your poll? To vote on a single 'best looking camera' out of the entire list, or to vote in a separate poll for each category?

If categories, then rather than just 35mm, I think a breakdown into LTM, M-mount, and fixed-lens could be interesting. A Canonet QL17 GIII might not be able to compete against a Leica, but it could take on Minolta, Yashica and Olympus :D

Gene

dnk512
02-22-2006, 07:56
Konica s3, minolta 7sII

dadsm3
02-22-2006, 08:08
Alas, the poor M5! Again, Leica's sad ******* child left out in the cold.....shunned and ignored. Waaaaah! :(

yossarian
02-22-2006, 08:15
Rich, what is the intent of your poll? To vote on a single 'best looking camera' out of the entire list, or to vote in a separate poll for each category?

If categories, then rather than just 35mm, I think a breakdown into LTM, M-mount, and fixed-lens could be interesting. A Canonet QL17 GIII might not be able to compete against a Leica, but it could take on Minolta, Yashica and Olympus :D

Gene

Excellent point--whatcha think, Rich?

Fred

louis
02-22-2006, 08:37
I nominate the Voigtlander Prominent. It is a lovely looking rangefinder, especially
with the 50mm 1.5 Nockton. It was built to compete with the Leica & Contax rangefinders. In terms of build quality it is the equal of any Leica.

It is not an easy camera to use, and the rangefinder is squinty, hard to use with eyeglasses, which is probably why it didn't succeed.

RayPA
02-22-2006, 08:47

Below is a list of cameras that so far are NOT nominated by anyone (just in case you had forgotten they exist) :)

Let me know if there is anyone out there that feels strongly about any camera in the list below - or any other RF camera model currently not in the list at the top.

Leica I/Standard,
Leica II,
Leica M5,
Olympus 35LE,
Leica M4-P/2,
Zorki 4K,
Kiev 3,
Fed 2,
Fed 4,
Kodak Retina IIIs,
Fuji 6x9,
Yashica Electro 35GSN,
Voigtlander Prominent,
Graphic 35,
Welmy six,
Kiev 4M,
Agfa Super Silette,
Werra 4,
Taron 35,
Aires 35,
Samoca III,
Agfa Isolette III,
Etc....

I really like my M4-P, even though it doesn't stand a chance against the MP, or M7, or any number of other cameras, but then a lot of the listed cameras may not even garner a single vote (just by virtue of the sheer number of cameras). So I guess I would advocate that it should be added to the list. I would just add all of the above. The list really seems to be a turning into a reference, and in that respect will it ever be complete?

yossarian
02-22-2006, 09:21
Rich,
My apologies if I missed it, but is the Contax T on the list of nominees?

Fred

oftheherd
02-22-2006, 09:36
I didn't look through the entire thread so sorry if it has already been nominated: Mamiya Super Press 23 in the MF category. Kind of so ugly its cute, and not ugly at all. And it sure it utilitarian.

furcafe
02-22-2006, 10:19
35mm:

Bell & Howell Foton

Folder (828):

Kodak Bantam Special

wrenhunter
02-22-2006, 10:29
How about the Bessa L? One of the few without a viewfnder, a distinctive look (plus I just got one!).

(I'd also nominate the R, but I guess the R2/3/a will have to stand in.)

back alley
02-22-2006, 11:03
I think we need a 'Favorite Photographer' poll, like this one. If anything this poll will be one heck of a reference list.

please no!!

i am solidly against this idea, sorry, no offense meant ray.

way too many personalities here for that to have even a remote chance of not starting a war or at the very least some hurt feelings.
joe

Bobbo
02-22-2006, 11:42
Why don't you sort them out by film format (sub-mini, half-frame, 35mm, medium format, large format), and then manufacturer and type of lens mount (interchangeable lens or not, folder or ridged)?

Start with Leica: there would be three catagories: Fixed lens (o-series), Leica Screw-mount (II/III variations), and M-mount (M1-7, MP, 5, CL, CLE). Include the Minolta CLE with this catagory for the fun of it b/c Minolta doesn't really have anymore.

Canon would be Leica Clone (II/III/IV), Late Canon (L/V/VI/7/P), and Canonet

Nikon would be Nikon...not many to choose from (One/M/S-S4/SP)

Zeiss would be 2-1/4 folders, German-built, Kyocera-built, Cosina-built

Cosina would get one poll for the L/R/r2/R2a/R3a/ and T. You might put the new ZI in here.

And build on it out from there.

And I thought I didn't have a life...I didn't make this thread up:)

Have a nice night,
Bob Clark

back alley
02-22-2006, 12:03
canon is not exactly a leica clone.
the mount is ltm but the innovations of the screwmount cameras by canon put leica to shame.

but that's just me...;)

Rich Silfver
02-22-2006, 13:02

Gene

Gene, the intent - or even the idea for that matter - is not very grand :)
I was just curious about what RF camera people generally considers to be 'best looking/esthetically pleasing/hot/sexy' (call it what you want).

Categories such as 'best looking folder' or 'best looking fixed lens camera' could be interesting - but honestly I was just curious to see over-all what the top (top three (gold, silver, bronze) RF cameras are. :)

Rich Silfver
02-22-2006, 13:06
The list really seems to be a turning into a reference, and in that respect will it ever be complete?

I know - it's turning into a who's-who of RF cameras :)

So - I'll be closing the nomination entries at 6pm PST today :)

(And no - you can't nominate that entire list - you have to feel strongly for your nominated camera(s) :) )

ChrisPlatt
02-22-2006, 13:11
Another vote for the Argus C3 - "The Brick"

"Excelsior, you fathead!"
-Chris-

Rich Silfver
02-22-2006, 13:24
List is updated.

Another 3.5 hours before the nominations are closed :)

back alley
02-22-2006, 14:48
maybe we need a thread where people just post a photo of what they think the best looking camera is.

a camera beauty pagent...

dmr
02-22-2006, 14:56
maybe we need a thread where people just post a photo of what they think the best looking camera is.

Ya know, it might be a good idea if there were a way to post photos of the nominees. I was looking over the list and I admit there are some that I don't know what they look like. I'm sure many of the other people here are the same way.

Tarzak
02-22-2006, 15:18
Rollei 35 XF

So simple. Pity it's not manual.

Rich Silfver
02-22-2006, 15:20
Ya know, it might be a good idea if there were a way to post photos of the nominees. I was looking over the list and I admit there are some that I don't know what they look like. I'm sure many of the other people here are the same way.

Don't worry - it will all be taken care of.

Rich Silfver
02-22-2006, 15:23
List has been updated.

Entries for nominations closes at 6pm PST (that's in 1.5 hours from now).

Brian Sweeney
02-22-2006, 15:23
Contax T is a pretty one.

Rich Silfver
02-22-2006, 15:26
It's listed ;)

John Robertson
02-22-2006, 15:42
I would nominate my fathers camera, bought in 1952, and still in mint condition.
Ilford Advocate 35mm camera, with f3.5 35mm Dalmeyer coated W/A lens.
It still takes beautiful pictures. the silicon/aluminium alloy body is coated with cream vitreous enamel. I love its Art-Deco styling. and its whisper quiet shutter.

back alley
02-22-2006, 16:04
that is kinda attractive john.
i don't think i've ever seen one before.

FrankS
02-22-2006, 16:08
That is a cool looking camera!

Bobbo
02-22-2006, 16:09
and when I said about canon copying leica...look at the II/III/IV series, they look an aweful lot like a Leica to an untrained eye. They look nothing like the later ones like the 7 and P.

but anywho...some organization would be a good bet...with lots of pictures.

John Robertson
02-22-2006, 16:14
that is kinda attractive john.
i don't think i've ever seen one before.
Its a lovely camera to use, not too rare, but difficult to find in this condition.
Ilford made another more expensive camera at the same time, the super rare Ilford Witness, probably about 1000 made, this was a coupled R/F camera with a very long base R/Finder Wiewfinder. it had speeds of 1 to 1000th and a modified leica screw fit lens mount. This was machined with an interrupted thread, which allowed its own lenses to bayonet on and off but also allowed normal Leica screw lenses to fit and couple correctly. I will try to find a picture of one. A good one fetches about 3500, so don't hold your breath.
I still use my fathers camera and have a film in it just now!!

John Robertson
02-22-2006, 16:30
Best I could do Back Alley!
This sold at Christies a couple of years ago for 3000, :rolleyes:

Rich Silfver
02-22-2006, 18:39
Entries for nominations is now closed.

I will post the first group or two of cameras later tonight.

I hope we'll have a good turn-out at the voting booths. :)