PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Favorite camera brand

Rich Silfver
10-20-2004, 23:11
Sorry, limited to 10 choices....

This is to select your favorite camera brand/maker.

You may not have tried a Fed, Leica, Zeiss, etc camera so your vote reflects your favorite camera out of the ones YOU have had any experience with.

What camera will be the 'RFF favorite camera brand...'......??

denishr
10-20-2004, 23:56
Rich, you should know better than this :)

Brian Sweeney
10-21-2004, 02:06
I would suggest that Kiev's should be in a separate category as their cameras are closer to Contax than Leica. The two have a very different following.

Stu :)
10-21-2004, 03:35
Is that YOUR favorite RF camera maker???...

...'Cause I don't see Hasselblad or Linhof!

If it's YOUR Favourite RF camera maker, then I'm voting for Voigtlander.

Pherdinand
10-21-2004, 03:36
yashica rules! :)

khingdheano
10-21-2004, 11:26
That's a tough one, my best camera is a Leica, but I really enjoy it when I find the occasion to use the Zorki 4. It's like having a Mercedes you drive most of the time, but what fun it is to sometimes get out in your old MGB. (Never had a Mercedes, but I did have a 1971 British racing green MGB which I had a wonderful love/hate relationship with.)

Borghesia
10-21-2004, 11:39
Where is Konica !

10-21-2004, 13:48
Hey! The powers-to-be have added Hasselblad... and I've already voted... darn. :(

Socke
10-21-2004, 14:45
As five out of 12 cameras are Contax, that must be my favorite brand :-)
But reducing the choice on RFs it's tough, Contax G2, Zorki4, Leica IIIf, Yashica 35GX.

And in my bag for Cuba coming sunday is a Contax G2, a Contax TVS and a Canon D60

rover
10-21-2004, 15:47
Well, I got to fondle the RD-1, ZI and Leicas today at the Photo Expo in NYC, but I am a bottom line guy, Voigtlander RF cameras for me please.

Rich Silfver
10-21-2004, 19:07
Originally posted by Stu :)
Is that YOUR favorite RF camera maker???...

...'Cause I don't see Hasselblad or Linhof!

If it's YOUR Favourite RF camera maker, then I'm voting for Voigtlander.

Stu, sorry - yes the intent was favorite RF camera maker/brand

Rich Silfver
10-21-2004, 19:09
Originally posted by Borghesia
Where is Konica !

It's amongst the 10+ options that I couldn't list :)

So I guess the poll really should read "what is your favorite RF camera of THESE options" :)

10-22-2004, 05:09
Originally posted by Rich Silfver
So I guess the poll really should read "what is your favorite RF camera of THESE options" :)

<girly giggle>

Ahhh... I guess you can't please everyone.

I guess I'll say "Yay" again for Voigtlander.

wlewisiii
10-22-2004, 06:30
Not present - Agfa/Ansco folders and their Russian clones. Chose Yashica as it's a good second choice.

William

Flyfisher Tom
04-05-2006, 09:27
If I'm from Tom Delay's district, how many times can I vote?

wtl
04-05-2006, 09:39

As many times as you want, as long as you vote for Tom. Otherwise, none.

laptoprob
04-05-2006, 09:41
Because the Hexar RF is a not-as-such-recognised Leica I will vote Leica. ;-)

Talisker
04-05-2006, 09:42
No Bronica - you'll be in trouble with Shutterflower :) (and me come to think of it...)

Flyfisher Tom
04-05-2006, 09:44
As many times as you want, as long as you vote for Tom. Otherwise, none.

But first, I'll need an envelope under the table or a 'free' trip :D

wtl
04-05-2006, 09:49
But first, I'll need an envelope under the table or a 'free' trip :D

Sheeee...don't be loud...

traveller
04-05-2006, 10:10
Difficult question, there are so many RF's I haven't used yet. So my vote goes to the Voigtländer, my first RF

kmack
04-05-2006, 10:20
Graflex:
The Speed Graphic Pacemaker/Centruy/Annie are the best general purpose photographic tools ever made.

hth
04-05-2006, 11:03
Konica, but as usual it gets neglected..

One alternative should have been "Other".

/Håkan

oftheherd
04-05-2006, 12:13

LOL, that's cute.

There used to be a Washington, DC politician who tongue-in-cheek used to say that when he died, he wanted to be buried in Chicago; so he could stay active in Democratic politics. :D

My vote had to be Mamiya for my Super Press 23. That doesn't mean anything wrong with the Canonet, Olympus or Konica though.

Actually, my first movie camera and then SLR having been a Yashica, then owning a Contax 139Q and FX 103, I have always been partial to the Yashica brand, and to Fujica for their M42 mount cameras. I think both brands build quality was much under-rated.

PeterL
04-05-2006, 12:17
Having used Olympus OM for about 16 years now, a Minolta TC-1 for 5-6 (I forget) and a Zorki for less than 2 months, my vote goes to Olympus.

einolu
04-05-2006, 12:42
Without Voigtlander I would have never had the pleasure of using a modern viewfinder.

Richard Black
04-05-2006, 12:51
Where' s Minolta? I can think of at least two that are quite popular, 7ii and the CL/CLE. Oh well my vote for Voigtlander!

Doug
04-05-2006, 13:15
Too bad my favorites (Minolta, Bronica) are among the missing, but there are a LOT missing. As I suppose is inevitable. I assume, though it's not stated explicitly, that we're only considering the *rangefinder* models produced under those brand names...

Andy K
04-05-2006, 13:16
Looked at my camera cabinet...
5x Olympus,
3x Kodak,
2x Canon,
2x Zenit,
2x Voigtlander,
2x Polaroid,
1x Praktica,
1x Zorki,
1x Agfa,
1x Lomo...

so my vote went to Olympus.

peterc
04-05-2006, 14:05
Just the RFs
Lots of Polaroids
2 Kievs
2 Zorkis
1 Bessa
1 Bosley
I guess I'll have to vote Voigtlander, however the Kievs are getting a lot of use as the Bessa is out for RF calibration.

Peter

FrankS
04-05-2006, 14:17
Peter, I notice a glaring absence of a Fed camera in your list! My black Fed would come with a bonus gift for you!

Socke
04-05-2006, 14:19
Just the RFs

1 Bosley

Peter

Bosley? Isn't that the guy working with the angels and relaying Charlys messages?

peterc
04-05-2006, 14:19
My black Fed would come with a bonus gift for you!
That lovely Fed of yours keeps calling "buy me". I fear it'll wear me down soon.

Peter

peterc
04-05-2006, 14:29
Bosley? Isn't that the guy working with the angels and relaying Charlys messages?
I thought it was an interesting role for a not-so-great camera.

Peter

Gabriel M.A.
04-05-2006, 15:24
No Rollei? No Franka? No Waltz? No Honeywell? No Graflex? No Argus? No Smena? No Ricoh? No Bronica? No Ensign Commando? No Kodak? No Nicca? No Agfa? No Lomo? No Universal Translator? Tricorder?

Somebody had to be left out when there's only 10 choices... Tough calls, Rich.

pvdhaar
04-06-2006, 02:15
I'm not gonna vote if I can't select Konica..

Bertram2
04-06-2006, 16:19
My favourite ? Hmm, how much can the vote of somebody count who has not worked with all on this list , at least for a while ?? I haven't :o So I'd better shut up here. ;) Or is this a kinda dreamcar poll ?
Bertram

kshapero
04-06-2006, 16:24
Voigtlander

Todd.Hanz
04-06-2006, 17:18
I think it's kind of self defeating to try to have this independent outlook as an artist, and then have an infatuation that may border on love with a specific corporation. I get the distinct feeling it may lead to somewhere very bad, cliché, and corporate, with materialistic overtones. Maybe some people who're posting excitingly how they just got a Leica know what I'm talking about.

Let's admit it. They're the *******s we hate that make the gear we like. Ok, you might not hate them, but I do, the entire list, even L-E-I-C-A. Shovel in, Shovel out, make more, make more, make more, what makes them so different from GE, DuPont, or Exxon Mobile for that matter?

If you look at it, printmaking goes back about 700 years and 550 of them didn't have any photosensitive materials. We just gotten us hooked on this very specific form of it, that may or may not be the best. Photography just happens to take cameras, lenses, film, papers, enlargers, computers, printers, etc. etc. etc., that are the newest things on the block.

Maybe it would be better if we had to engrave the damn things and it would take so much energy and time that it wouldn't be a rich mans game to show off this or that lens at thier club meetings. Nobody ever asked Rembrandt what kind of press he used for "The Agony in the Garden".

Think what you like. I just think this is the kind of rotten bourgeoisie thing that's been killing the art for a long time with it's own set of pretensions. I hardly post here because it's ridden with it. Not that I'm a vile misanthrope. Crappy materialism bothers me, not people.

I like to dance to ska music in my spare time.

THE END.

chill man, you don't have to shoot a leica...you can shoot a Dupont, Exxon Mobile or GE if you like. :)

Todd: The Crappy Materialist

ch1
04-06-2006, 17:23
Rich,

With all due respect - didn't we just do a similar poll where we picked our favorite camera?

You had all those categories and an Excel spreadsheet etc.

Anyway, being as how I am a Nikonian guess what I voted for? :D

back alley
04-06-2006, 17:24
if anyone cares to look...this thread was started in 2004!

i wish we had termination dates for threads sometimes.

ch1
04-06-2006, 17:33
if anyone cares to look...this thread was started in 2004!

i wish we had termination dates for threads sometimes.

Oh m'gosh I didn't reallize!

Perhaps, if not a "dated" termination one set that if there is no additional response after 30 days or so - IT DIES!!!! :angel:

kmack
04-06-2006, 17:49
Think what you like. I just think this is the kind of rotten bourgeoisie thing that's been killing the art for a long time with it's own set of pretensions. I hardly post here because it's ridden with it. Not that I'm a vile misanthrope. Crappy materialism bothers me, not people. .

My, my, my... reminds me of...
...I see. Well, of course, this is just the sort of blinkered philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage. You sit there on your loathsome spotty behinds squeezing blackheads, not caring a tinker's cuss for the struggling artist. You excrement, you whining hypocritical toadies with your colour TV sets and your Tony Jacklin golf clubs and your bleeding masonic secret handshakes.

Les Lammers
04-06-2006, 18:06
Where is Polaroid?

Andy K
04-06-2006, 22:44
I do shoot a Leica. It makes me uncomforatable. Very uncomfortable. I have the urge to go throw it off a very tall building.

Good idea. Get someone to film you doing it. That would be Art.

amateriat
04-08-2006, 12:05
Leica collectors to the abattoir? Only on days when I'm in a bad mood (like two days ago, while at the counter at Adorama, fondling an M4-P selling for "only" $1350).

- Barrett

P.S. I didn't vote because my favorite outfit (Konica) just died (though it could be argued that the real death occurred a few years back with the Konica-Minolta merger, the Penn Central of corporate train wrecks.)

Stu W
04-13-2006, 11:17
None of the above. I still think the Pentax LX is the best camera ever made. Leica is my second choice.

KoNickon
04-13-2006, 13:56
I'm another who isn't voting because Konica isn't on the list. (I'm thinking not just of the RF but the AF Hexar, Auto S2 and S3, and the Koni-Omega.)

Bertram2
04-13-2006, 16:30
:confused: These 8 votes are absolutely amazing, there must be a colossal lack of information here about what history and which products are behind the name of Zeiss .
Seems Zeiss was and still is more an European "Ikon(e)" ? ;)

bertram

ch1
04-13-2006, 18:01
:confused: These 8 votes are absolutely amazing, there must be a colossal lack of information here about what history and which products are behind the name of Zeiss .
Seems Zeiss was and still is more an European "Ikon(e)" ? ;)

bertram

Betram,

My history books tell me that Zeiss once made cameras. My magazines tell me that Cosina now licenses the Zeiss name for their cameras.

Look on the bright side - right now Zeiss has one more vote than Olympus - and I'll bet the latter has sold more cameras than the former over the past 50 yeers! ;)

Bertram2
04-14-2006, 05:28
Betram,

My magazines tell me that Cosina now licenses the Zeiss name for their cameras.

As I said : An amazing lack of information. :p Cosina does NOT license the Zeiss name for their products. And this was said 100 times already :bang: , here and elsewhere, in threads 3 miles and 20.000 views long .

Anyway, this Quatsch seems to be too well suited for a certain kinda anti- ZI propaganda to let some folks accept that it is simply wrong, even wronger than the "rebranded Cossie" crap.

I am a bit surprised that it is you who tries to revive that moldy body ? Thought it was buried already in some closed threads.

Regards,
bertram

jaapv
04-14-2006, 05:41
Now why does it come as no surprise that Leica comes out on top? Not fair, Rich, a lot of voters will have a knee-jerk reaction to this poll, but I am equally sure that most Leica fans have affinity with a number of different brands as well.

ch1
04-14-2006, 05:58
As I said : An amazing lack of information. :p Cosina does NOT license the Zeiss name for their products. And this was said 100 times already :bang: , here and elsewhere, in threads 3 miles and 20.000 views long .

Anyway, this Quatsch seems to be too well suited for a certain kinda anti- ZI propaganda to let some folks accept that it is simply wrong, even wronger than the "rebranded Cossie" crap.

I am a bit surprised that it is you who tries to revive that moldy body ? Thought it was buried already in some closed threads.

Regards,
bertram

Betram,

I was only joking! :D

Heck, I bought a Contax IIIc at a flea market last month!

This poll is only a popularity contest so it's not really surprising that Leica is "winning"..

Bertram2
04-14-2006, 06:48
Betram,
I was only joking! :D

Well, if so, forget all what I said.

I did not take it as a joke when I read it. In fact i don't give a d**n on which brand will "win" or is the most popular, we have a saying in Germany about what is the majorities opinion worth, translated it says "Eat s**t !!! Trillions of flies cannot be wrong !" :angel: I have my own opinins.

It is just this certain kind of unfair and primitive anti-ZI propaganda which makes me always upset.
Zeiss had the guts to put up a new and very modern RF line in times of all this stupid film is dead babble, and it has contributed this way to the survival of the classical analog, manual and full-metal photography. This earns appreciation but not to get talked down with intentional misinformation by some binary structured brains .
I've followed those discussions at LUG too, where even many Leica user found this kinda stuff just embarrassing, but some seem to need it simply. :rolleyes:

bertram

ch1
04-14-2006, 07:17
Bertram,

If it will make you feel any better, if I were to buy a current model M-mount RF today, it would be the ZI. Dollar for dollar it seems to be a better choice vs. Leica. ;)

But that's just my opinion - others will disagree. No use going on and on about it.

jaapv
04-14-2006, 07:25

Regards,
bertram

Bertram, I think this poll was started in 2004, when the ZI was not more than an evil glow in the eyes of its designers. Current website timetravel seems to have revived it. So, I don't think it is anti-ZI, which by the way, and this is coming from a longtime Leica-fan,is a very nice camera, which I would not mind having and using ;)

ErnestoJL
04-14-2006, 07:29
I´m certain that my post would be a little long, but it will reflect my favourite RF cameras in a certain order of preference, and most important, WHY. Besides, I will vote.

First choice:
Yashica Electro 35 GS(T)N - It´s fast and easy to work with (love that 30+" in auto).
Old Canonet QL17 - Same as before (but no such low speeds).
Mamiya Super Deluxe 1.5. I LIKE THIS CAMERA!!

Second choice:
Contax II - Waited 35 years to enjoy the best camera of it´s time!
Kiev 4 - Excellent "Contaxsky" - Love this one!

Every camera has it´s own in itself and there are many personal reasons why someone may choose one or another, but there are some features which fit most of our expectations. Then I made my choice based upon the knowledge that there is no perfect camera, and there is no "best", just good performers which will make our (my) lives (life) easier depending our own criteria.

Ernesto

Honu-Hugger
04-14-2006, 07:39
Kmack is right, it was a silly rant (and partially meant to be)

Hence the ending. But I deleted it anyway, because I realize it's mostly bitter anger at collectors who've driven the prices to on everything. It is a well known fact the going rate of a Yashica Electro G is around 2,700,000 dollars, wheras it was about $10 a year ago. Coincidence? I think not. Clearly idle rich people loathing around and keeping thousands of cameras in closets are driving the prices up for all of us.

BTW, I would like to see more apartment buildings designed with serated blades and a completely modernized removal of blood from the tenants whose remains are wisked away into their cozy apartments. Of course I thought that was a great design.

You're alright, Kmack. And, Todd, I do shoot a Leica. It makes me uncomforatable. Very uncomfortable. I have the urge to go throw it off a very tall building.

As for tossing the Leica; don't let me stop you :D. Just get a picture of it going down to share with the rest of us.

"...idle rich people loathing around and keeping thousands of cameras in closets..." now that's really funny stuff. I like a market economy -- it works.

Gabriel M.A.
04-14-2006, 08:39
As for tossing the Leica; don't let me stop you :D. Just get a picture of it going down to share with the rest of us.

"...idle rich people loathing around and keeping thousands of cameras in closets..." now that's really funny stuff. I like a market economy -- it works.
OK, we get it, Honu. The record's kind of scratched.

jan normandale
04-17-2006, 22:49
point of clarification for Rich. I voted for my favourite. Not what I believe was the 'best' I voted for Yashica. I use them so often and they are my first thought for 35mm But your poll ignores my fave format, MF and not all the listed manufacturers do MF. If it is about the camera that does the best job. I vote Mamiya. Outstanding glass that I personally believe blows away all the others, including the legendary HEGR glass. Just my opinion of course, but I got it all wrong when I voted Kodak Bantam Special 'best looking camera' in your last poll !

rover
04-18-2006, 02:05
Well, I got to fondle the RD-1, ZI and Leicas today at the Photo Expo in NYC, but I am a bottom line guy, Voigtlander RF cameras for me please.

18 months ago, things change I guess.

I am surprised I didn't vote for Canon.

Well, shortly after this my R3a arrived, I wasn't happy with it, it wasn't what I thought it should be. I sold the farm and bought a Leica. The Voigtlander R4 can win me back though.