PDA

View Full Version : Photo Magazines

RayPA
02-02-2006, 08:02
I was in a bookstore the other day and was browsing through the magazine section, looking for something photo-related. I found myself confronted with three choices,

B&W Magazine
LensWork
and Apeture.

There was also a smattering of photo technique and gear related magazines, but I was looking for something along the lines of the three I mentioned. I settled on LensWork. I thought I'd prompt the membership here to see which magazines, if any, people preferred. Which one do you buy, or subscribe to? I'm sure there are more/others, but these three seem to be present at most Borders, and Barnes and Nobles.

:)

back alley
02-02-2006, 08:05
where's the poll?

RayPA
02-02-2006, 08:07
Check again. It should be there now, Joe.

GeneW
02-02-2006, 08:08
The only publication I buy regularly is Black & White Photography (UK)

Gene

GermanB
02-02-2006, 08:12
Lenswork, very nice to see and read...

yossarian
02-02-2006, 08:12
How can you have a poll about photo magazines without including Asahi Camera and
Nippon Camera? :bang:

They are tied for top spot

RayPA
02-02-2006, 08:19
How can you have a poll about photo magazines without including Asahi Camera and
Nippon Camera? :bang:

They are tied for top spot

There's an option for you there; use the last one. Like I stated, there are more I'm sure, but these three seem to always be available at the mainstream bookstores like Borders and Barnes and Noble. Thanks for mentioning these two, though. I've seen both.

BJ Bignell
02-02-2006, 08:21
I voted LensWork because it's by far the best of the three, but would like to second the recommendation that's already been made for "Black and White Photography" from the UK. It's a very good magazine.

B&W is alright, but sometimes it's too much about "Fine Art", whatever that is...

markinlondon
02-02-2006, 08:21
B+W Photography (UK) is the only photo magazine I really like, but I also buy Amateur Photographer for the shop ads and Roger Hicks' column. Most technique based mags just seem to be trying to flog gear, e.g want more colour saturation, buy a polariser, etc, etc.

Mark

thmk
02-02-2006, 08:24
I subscribed to Lenswork and besides that I read Leica Fotografie International on a regular base.

Cheers
Thomas-Michael

David Goldfarb
02-02-2006, 09:12
I subscribe to Lenswork and Aperture, and I occasionally pick up B&W Mag.

Other magazines I like are Contact Sheet, Black and White Photography (UK), and Afterimage.

f/stopblues
02-02-2006, 09:19
Lenswork always has high-quality work and articles that I regularly find interesting. Interviews with photogs, technique, general philosophy of photography, etc.

Is the Black and White magazine in the UK the same one I'm thinking of? (http://www.bandwmag.com/) It has nice photos most times, but it's geared more toward collectors. There's blurbs about how much photo X went for at the auction house, historical significance of certain photos, etc. Good in it's own right, but what I'm after personally in a photo mag.

Todd.Hanz
02-02-2006, 09:23
Lenswork is by far the best I've seen, I also have the extended version on CD...excellent!

Todd

danielnorton
02-02-2006, 09:24
The only photo Mag I read consistently is Photo District News, probably only worth it for the pros though.. I also like "(not just) black and white" out of Australia for the photo essays and interviews with photographers.

RayPA
02-02-2006, 09:37
Lenswork always has high-quality work and articles that I regularly find interesting. Interviews with photogs, technique, general philosophy of photography, etc.

Is the Black and White magazine in the UK the same one I'm thinking of? (http://www.bandwmag.com/) It has nice photos most times, but it's geared more toward collectors. There's blurbs about how much photo X went for at the auction house, historical significance of certain photos, etc. Good in it's own right, but what I'm after personally in a photo mag.

I was wondering the same thing, Chris. The link you point to is the same magazine I see most often (and the one I put in the poll). It seems geared toward a different audience. It has some nice printing and images, but like you, it isn't what I'm looking for in a photo pub.

RayPA
02-02-2006, 09:40
Lenswork is by far the best I've seen, I also have the extended version on CD...excellent!

Todd

I was looking at the subscription information and noticed the extended CD version. It's good to hear some good feedback on it, because I'm considering subscribing.

Little Prince
02-02-2006, 09:53
I subscribe to Lenswork since very recently. Received one issue so far. But I'd been checking it out at the bookstore often even before and like it a lot.

As others said, the B&W found in Borders etc., seems to be the US mag, which is sorta disjoint from my tastes but I guess still good quality. I might investigate more into others (like B&W UK, Aperture, etc..) and add to my current subscriptions.

GeneW
02-02-2006, 09:53
No, it's not that one.

Here's the link (though I must say the publisher has a very poor website):

http://www.thegmcgroup.com/item--Black-and-White-Photography--1003BW.html

Gene

retrocam
02-02-2006, 09:56
I buy Lenswork sometimes. I do subscribe to Leica Fotografie because of the LFI academy section. Oh, and also Leica World. CameraArts Magazine too.

FrankS
02-02-2006, 09:58
Do you have a subscription Gene, or do you just pick it up at a bookstore? Is there any chance of borrowing some issues?

vladhed
02-02-2006, 10:09
While I can regularly get B&W mag, I've never seen Apeture except whilst on business travel to the U.S. It's got to be available here in Canada somewhere. I guess the problem is that I won't spring for a subscription - but prefer to pick up the odd issue that appeals to me.

f/stopblues
02-02-2006, 10:11
No, it's not that one.

Gene

Ah thanks.. I'll put it on my list.

I also subscribe to View Camera. (http://www.viewcamera.com) I forgot to mention that one. It's so darned pretty :D

TimF
02-02-2006, 12:39
Yup, LensWork is the one for me too. Just a great magazine IMHO, and generally unpolluted by ads which is always worth extra brownie points. :)

I probably buy too many photo mags really - others (all UK) include Amateur Photographer (the only ''techniques" mag worth the money, and doubly so while it has the trinity of Crawley, Hicks and Matanle writing for it), Black & White Photography, and two I'm especially fond of - Ag (http://www.picture-box.com/) and 8 Photojournalism (http://foto8.com/)

peterc
02-02-2006, 14:08
The only publication I buy regularly is Black & White Photography (UK)
Ditto. I've been buying this one for a couple of years. There's another mag (can't remember the name but I think it's Australian) I pick up when I see it on the stands.

Peter

ray_g
02-02-2006, 15:17
I subscribe to Lenswork. I like Black and White Photography from the UK the most, and I try to pick it up whenever I am at B&N. Too bad it costs so much, and an international subscription doesn't cost much less.

DougK
02-02-2006, 16:11
I only buy Black and White Photography on a regular basis (I'm hooked on Mike Johnston's column) although all the poll choices are available at my local Joseph-Beth Booksellers. I occasionally buy View Camera, usually flip through Lenswork on the newsstand, and glance through Popular Photography (just for Herbert Keppler's column). Once in a while I'll pick up a digital photography magazine if they have an article I'm interested in... yeah, I know, but most of my shooting these days is done on the dark side.

amateriat
02-02-2006, 18:07
I was going through my collection of the handful of photo mags I still bothered to subscribe to between the early 80s and very late 90s (Camera 35, Camera Arts in its previous incarnation, Photographer's Forum, and Canada's Photo Communique) All except CA have either bitten the dust or are otherwise MIA (someone said Forum was actually still around, but damned if I can find it). LensWork was a relatively recent find for me (four years ago), and I love it, as well as Camera Arts and the occasional Aperture. A calm read as opposed to a noisy, relentless one (Popular now reads like a digicam equivalent of Motor Trend, from the blinding cover forwards...yes, it's always been sub-par, but it seems somehow worse now).

- Barrett

Jason_K
02-02-2006, 18:33
The only photo Mag I read consistently is Photo District News, probably only worth it for the pros though.. I also like "(not just) black and white" out of Australia for the photo essays and interviews with photographers.

Another vote for PDN.

http://www.pdnonline.com/

peterc
02-02-2006, 19:58
That magazine I couldn't think of that's hard to find on the newsstands is The Black & White Enthusiast _ published by Fotospeed Australia.

Peter

Gabriel M.A.
02-02-2006, 20:41
What?! You mean nobody enjoys Victoria's Secret catalog? I've heard it's free and wildly popular. :D

RJ- : yes, I picked up a few magazines during the only few days I was in London; impressive stuff --unfortunately I lost them. Mass production vs. craft, my friend...

Stephanie Brim
02-02-2006, 20:50
I flip through B&W Magazine when I'm in the book store (which is a lot, mind you) but I don't buy any photo magazines. Anti-productive for me.

dmr
02-02-2006, 20:59
Am I gonna get thrown out of the club here if I admit to reading Shutterbug and Pop Photo? :)

Yeah, I admit they are both leaning toward the D-word lately :(

B&W (UK) is often available where I shop, often about 1/2 month late, and I do pick it up if there's something of interest to me.

RML
02-02-2006, 22:59
B&W magazine doesn't interest me much. First of all I'm not into B&W shooting, secondly I find the mag a bit too darkroom oriented. But it's been a long time since I last read one, so things could be different now.

Lens Work is a fine magazine. I like the portfolios they present.

But I have a subscription on Aperture. I prefer this mag over Lens Work.

I'm also subscribing to Ag Magazine, a british quarterly.

peter_n
02-04-2006, 05:02
I cancelled my subscription to Lenswork, and started one with B&W Photography (UK) which I find more practical. So far I'm enjoying it a lot.

dostacos
02-05-2006, 14:32
subscriptions ah, shutterbug and Popular Photography..... :o :o :o

WAIT, does a subscription to the Freestyle catalog count? yeah I thought not. :bang:

*walks off in shame with head down....*

back alley
02-05-2006, 14:46
there is the 'black & white' mag, from the u.k.

and there is the 'b&w' mag, don't know from where.

which are you guys talking about?

pvdhaar
02-05-2006, 22:49
I used to read the UK Black and White photography magazine. Then about a year ago I started to get a feeling of deja vue when I picked one up. I guess at a certain point, it's difficult to come up with something new each and every month. About 6 months ago, I decided to put my effort into taking pictures myself instead of reading recycled articles. They were definately stronger when they were bi-monthly IMO.

Something similar happened to the UK Photo Technique magazine some 8 years ago. It was bi-monthly at first and a real joy to read. Switched to monthly, lowered its standards and had to merge with another magazine in no time flat.

IGMeanwell
02-05-2006, 23:22
Lets see...

I read Shutterbug, Popular Photography .... I love American Photo magazine

recently I have started reading B&W magazine... like in the past 4 months... I love the silver prints

If I am near a borders or a barnes and noble I will read Aperature ... but I rarely buy it since it tends to be 15 bucks ... but I appreciate its content

canonetc
02-05-2006, 23:35
I enjoy LensWork because of the imagery and the commentaries by Bill Jay. THe brilliancy and tonalities of the the images are impressive. B&W mag is good (and inspiring), but you have to be published, represented or dead to get your portfolio in there. The ads are nice to look at. Great reproductions.

Chris
canonetc

kuvvy
02-06-2006, 00:50
I subscribe to B&W mag(UK), Amateur Photographer and Practical Photography. I enjoy the protfolios and interviews. AP is great if your looking to buy (lots of ads). I get Prac Photo 'coz I got a good offer on the price but of the three B&W is the one I actually read thoroughly.
I have every issue of B&W from it's launch (have even met the editorat a Martin Parr exhibition) but due to an impending house move I may have to 'thin out' my stash along with some of my photo book collection.

Like Peter (pvdhaar) who posted previously I too need to put more effort into actually shooting more and reading less. Maybe when my R3a arives this week it will give me a much needed boost.

Paul

peter_n
02-06-2006, 16:27
Three photomags came in the mail today - Rangefinder and issues 55 & 56 of B&W Photography (UK) which inexplicably is mailed from Zurich. Two magazines together, bit odd eh? One of the things I find somewhat disconcerting about the mag is that the subscription copies arrive with no words on the front cover - just the photograph.

peterc
02-06-2006, 16:36
the subscription copies arrive with no words on the front cover - just the photograph.
Cool! They sometimes put really nice shots on the cover and I often feel the words ruin them.

Peter

TimF
02-06-2006, 23:41
Cool! They sometimes put really nice shots on the cover and I often feel the words ruin them.

Good point, and true enough. It can be a pain though if you're trying to find an article quickly, and aren't certain which issue its in.
:confused:

kuvvy
02-07-2006, 01:42
B&W don't have content details on the front so as to show as much of the cover photo as possible which I think is a good idea. They do print an index though throughout the year to help you when trying to locate an article. I think there is one in the current issue.

Paul

rbiemer
02-09-2006, 08:59
I pretty much have stopped reading Shutterbug and Pop Photo but will pick up a copy if there's something interesting. I do buy every issue I see of B&W(the US one) since I like seeing all the photos. Aperture is impossible to get from my local magazine shop. Lenswork is hit or miss but I buy it when they have it. I also pick up View Camera and Camera Arts. The nearest Borders Books used to carry Amature Photgrapher but hasn't had it since about last Thanksgiving :mad: American Photo I will sometimes also buy. I like Photo Life pretty well for the photos not so much the gear articles. There is a new(to me) mag called Focus that I will probably buy this afternoon--I leafed through it and it seems OK.
To answer your poll: I don't prefer one over the others but buy them all when I can get 'em.
Rob

brightsky
02-09-2006, 09:05
No, it's not that one.

Gene

I went to the website and thought, what the heck, I'll sign up for the minimum subscription. Incredibly, they will not accept your information unless you add the email address of a friend. Yes, I could have worked around it and given them a throw-a-way email, but the demand really irked me so I passed.

I subscribe to Lenswork, magazine only, but will probably get the extended version with CD when my subscription runs out.

I thumb through B&W at Borders, but have never seen Aperture at that store chain.

RayPA
02-09-2006, 09:16
I subscribed to Lenswork Extended (the CD version), and received my first issue earlier this week (#62). It's an interesting experience for me. When it comes to books and magazines, I like hardcopies, but this is done up nicely, using Acrobat.

I really enjoy playing the audio interviews while viewing the portfolios, and the extended version includes more photos (a lot) than the hardcopy. Interesting, though, I think the quality of images seen here (the RFF gallery) is right up there with some of what I've seen in these magazines.

edthened
02-09-2006, 09:23
I buy B&W (UK) regularly
The trouble with Lenswork is the high postage charges to the UK, otherwise I would subscribe!

Graham Line
02-09-2006, 11:00
Camera Arts seems to have improved recently under its new management, but gets repetitive. Not a very wide variety of styles are represented.
Otherwise I subscribe to Amateur Photographer. At $140 a year in the US it's still cheaper that way than prowling the newstand every week and just buying half of the copies.
The UK's Black and White Photography, maybe three or four issues a year mostly for good interviews or techniques.
When my nephews were peddling magazines, I got one of the $10.99 a year subs to Pop Photo, but didn't find much content. Haven't looked at it much in the past year or two.

ch1
02-09-2006, 11:07
Camera Arts seems to have improved recently under its new management, but gets repetitive. Not a very wide variety of styles are represented.
Otherwise I subscribe to Amateur Photographer. At $140 a year in the US it's still cheaper that way than prowling the newstand every week and just buying half of the copies.
The UK's Black and White Photography, maybe three or four issues a year mostly for good interviews or techniques.
When my nephews were peddling magazines, I got one of the $10.99 a year subs to Pop Photo, but didn't find much content. Haven't looked at it much in the past year or two.

You aren't missing much in Pop Photo - except for one small "sop" of a column to Film/SLRs, they are all digital, all the time. And with 'tude.

Hey, it's the advertisers that pay the bills. After my current subscription runs out that's it.

I'm not a "old fogey" and have both a D-100 and D-70 plus G1 P&S but unlike me - they have no balance.

Gman
02-09-2006, 19:07
No disrespect intended, but 'Aperture' is spelled incorrectly.
Also, another magazine of interest is Camera Arts.

nwcanonman
02-09-2006, 19:55
I was looking at the subscription information and noticed the extended CD version. It's good to hear some good feedback on it, because I'm considering subscribing.

I subscribe to the Lenswork Extended (CD edition), I love it and even watch/listen to it with my wife. :D

RayPA
02-09-2006, 21:36
No disrespect intended, but 'Aperture' is spelled incorrectly.
Also, another magazine of interest is Camera Arts.

no offense taken...That's one of THOSE words for me, like environment, where I always omit a letter...or add one. thanks for pointing it out.

OBTW, welcome to the forum. ;)

Socke
02-10-2006, 02:09
None of the options apply to me as I can't get those magazines here.

It they have something what interests me I read "Schwarzweiss", "Profi Foto" and "Photo Technik International".

ClaremontPhoto
02-10-2006, 22:39
I too can't get these magazines, except way way too expensive subscriptions.

So I buy the French 'Photo' although there are too many scantily clothed models and it is embarrassing to read in public, and I look at the Magnum photos at Slate (http://todayspictures.slate.com) every day.

Rangefinder magazine free copy came yesterday. Great if you enjoy ads for wedding albums!

Equipment reviews I can do without since I buy one camera every ten years or so and never change the type of film I use.

Marko
02-11-2006, 11:42
I prefer the Gomma and B+W Photography (UK) Magazin. The new Gomma comes out this month (143!! Pages fullfilled with photos in color and b+w).

desmo
02-11-2006, 21:26
This would never be an issue: I buy them all

darkkavenger
02-11-2006, 21:48
while some speak about books : any of us has news about the RFF Book 2 project?

Regards :D
max

back alley
02-11-2006, 22:12
the guys are busy behind the scenes doing all the grunt labour to make our book just right.
i think all is still on target and proceeding as planned.

RayPA
02-11-2006, 22:22
the guys are busy behind the scenes doing all the grunt labour to make our book just right.
i think all is still on target and proceeding as planned.

I added to this over HERE (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=226844#post226844) . Sorry, I didn't see your reply, Joe. :)

darkkavenger
02-11-2006, 23:03
Thank you so so much for the update! :D I can but imagine what a hard work it is, I've been working on the design of a CD, that is, cover, booklet, and graphics... it was a hell of work... and I also had to deal with software incompatibilities, central european fonts (special characters not parsed by Acrobat) ... well... thanks heap, guys! :D

smiling gecko
04-26-2006, 14:19
...got my vote in awhile back - for lens work - but overlooked putting in my musings about it.

like alot of folks i graze through a variety of photo magazines. if i'm lucky/observant i manage to come across what i believe are annual photography editions of the magazines chicago and los angeles and they are usually worth hanging onto. also, the esquire annual photography edition and it's worth checking out.

when i was working in photography pdn & rangefinder were my mainstays.

i occasionally buy b&w, camera arts, view camera, uk b&w, french zoom and photo, and on rare occasions when i find it, photo technik international about a year and a half ago while in russia i picked up couple of photography magazines there - i don't recall their names and i'm not home right now. well put together & a good blend of "how to" articles, equipment tests, and images...too bad my high school russian has all but faded from my memory.

also, like a number of folks there are times i just don't look a anything photographic -except maybe what i have a subscription to- and try to get myself re-energized. i'll tell myself "that's it!!! i've spent enough time looking at other peoples work, it's time to get out there and make my own images

...guess that's enough ramblings for now. thanks to all who waded through this stream of semi-consciousness.

enjoy life, catch some light on some film/sd/media-of-your choice in some camera today !!

hasta la vista, adieu, dazvidanya, fino al prossimo tempo, auf wiedersehen, and later y’all
kenneth
"some memories are realities and better than anything" willa cather
" doo-wacka doo, wacka doo" roger miller
"we have met the enemy and they is us !" walt kelly (pogo)
“a mans cartilage is his fate” phillip roth