PDA

View Full Version : all time favourite camera

back alley
10-18-2004, 16:50
ok, i have tried to make the decision as easy as i can for you guys.

here's a hint...

FrankS
10-18-2004, 16:55
Now, why didn't that surprise me?

Brian Sweeney
10-18-2004, 16:58
Alex, I'll take "Favorite Camera's for $1,000."

Answer: "The Canon P."

Alex, the question is "What is Joe's All-Time Favorite Camera?"

Now I will take "Favorite cameras for $200"

The answer is "Black Nikon SP"...

Kris
10-18-2004, 17:02
:eek: :confused:

Brian Sweeney
10-18-2004, 17:10
My Mind Kris, it is going. I can Feel it. I can feel it. I am afraid...

Peter
10-18-2004, 17:16
So am I! I must be hallucinating! Too much RF photography!

Kris
10-18-2004, 17:27
I think I must stop drinking coffee and browse RFF during coffee breaks....

back alley
10-18-2004, 20:05
well so far, just as i predicted, the canon p is in the lead.

yipppeeeee

joe

Oldprof
10-18-2004, 22:50
Why does this survey remind me of the election in Florida? ;)

Brian Sweeney
10-19-2004, 03:20
I got very confused. I thought that the camera was a Canon P not a canon p. Are Canon's case sensitive like Kodak Retina's? I voted for the canon p, but if it is really a Canon P, I want to change my vote.

And what's all this talk about making Butterflies Illegal! Butterflies are cute little flying insects with very pretty wings! You can always find them being attracted to a Bush...

pvdhaar
10-19-2004, 03:31
So, which one of the four buttons do I press to vote for the Iguana skin Titanium version?

Brian Sweeney
10-19-2004, 03:39
Button 3.

CORRECTION: RML will Press Button 4. Rover pressed Button 4 because he liked RML's camera SO MUCH that he wants Joe to have one like it!

Joe is required to re-finish his camera in the Winning Color.

rover
10-19-2004, 03:45
Actually, I pressed button 4. I felt like living on the wild side.

l.mar
10-19-2004, 04:10
I propose that he repaint the Canon P in the winning color, and get a new alligator-texture cover dyed to match the color of the runner-up.

pvdhaar
10-19-2004, 04:36
Originally posted by Brian Sweeney
Joe is required to re-finish his camera in the Winning Color.

We should make it a draw, it'll be a rainbow version..

GeneW
10-19-2004, 06:33
Jeez Joe, I didn't know Canon ever made a rangefinder :cool:

Gene

jdos2
10-19-2004, 07:53
"Canon?" Whazzat?

sfaust
10-19-2004, 11:15
I can't believe the first camera got 6 votes, and the third only got 2. Everyone knows the third is by far the better camera of the bunch !!! :bang:

Russ
10-19-2004, 16:08
Originally posted by backalley photo
ok, i have tried to make the decision as easy as i can for you guys.

here's a hint...

Canon made cameras? I thought they just made copy machines....

Harold

back alley
10-19-2004, 16:21
you guys are great!

i had hoped this 'poll' might bring a laugh or 2 along with it and you all have done me proud.

but interestingly, i now really want to find another 'p' and re-do the covering on it.
not pink mind you but something very sexy and hot. a camera that will be noticed and admired.

the good thing is i'm camera broke so this wont be for awhile and maybe i'll change my mind.

joe

l.mar
10-19-2004, 17:19
Refinishing/repainting vintage cameras seems to be very popular lately. There's a thread on the Photonet site where a fellow wants to paint his Leica M4P or M4-2 yellow.:eek: Also, a U.K. Leica repair place referred on Karen Nakamura's web site which will repaint Leicas in olive green, and also Shintaro repaints both Leica and Nikon RF's. Not cheap, though, and I don't whether any of those places will repaint in blue, purple, light brown or pink . . . :D

Doug
10-19-2004, 18:06
I've been thinking that a good looking combination might come from near-black metal painting with a lighter tone of the same color for the leather. Like navy blue paint with royal blue leather, or black cherry with maroon. Different, yet elegant... :-)

Russ
10-19-2004, 18:15
you guys are great!

i had hoped this 'poll' might bring a laugh or 2 along with it and you all have done me proud.

but interestingly, i now really want to find another 'p' and re-do the covering on it.
not pink mind you but something very sexy and hot. a camera that will be noticed and admired.

the good thing is i'm camera broke so this wont be for awhile and maybe i'll change my mind.

joe

How about some of that way-cool custom Leatherette? I don't recall the web address. But there is a guy that sells odd & exotic leatherette covers for the rangefinders.

Russ

SolaresLarrave
10-19-2004, 19:08
Doesn't RML have a yellow Leica?

I'll vote for the lizard skin large VF version.

Hehehehehehe... :angel:

Russ
10-19-2004, 19:48
Originally posted by SolaresLarrave
Doesn't RML have a yellow Leica?

I'll vote for the lizard skin large VF version.

Hehehehehehe... :angel:

How about Brown Snakeskin on a Leica, or a Red Lizard GIII QL-17?

http://www.cameraleather.com/

Russ

Russ
10-19-2004, 19:50
Originally posted by Russ

http://www.cameraleather.com/

Russ

Did someone say "Red Lizard," on a GIII QL-17?

Russ

back alley
10-19-2004, 21:24
red lizard!

i like that one!!

joe

st3ph3nm
10-20-2004, 01:56
I dunno.

I wanted to vote for a Canon P, but I couldn't find one on the list.
:D

oftheherd
10-20-2004, 05:22
Canon made cameras? I thought they just made copy machines....

Harold

Actually, as I understand it, they started out with copiers with lenses, and that got them to thinking about other markets. Since they then had drum scanning, they thought they might get a leg up on the scanning business, but couldn't figure out how to shrink the drum and fit it into film scanners for a home market. They then had to go with the crowd on film scanners.

They were able to take part of their copier technology into a camera line though. Copiers often had to change position for different scans and therefore they made some that auto-focused. You could tell when they were searching for correct focus by the hum of the motors. That same technology was brought into an obscure camera line of theirs after they perfected the ability to spend excessive time on the search for good focus. :D

FrankS
10-20-2004, 07:25
And their cameras are much easier to use than turning a copier sideways and pressing it up against your subject!

Doug
10-20-2004, 18:08
I've had a Canon copier for a lot of years; works well and very reliable. It did need a new clutch some years ago and the repair shop neglected to bill me for the work, even after being reminded twice. It's my lucky copier, as when I bought it the mail-order vendor similarly forgot to tell the shipping company to collect the COD balance due! No response to my reminders... But Canon has a happy customer here!

Hey, Frank! :-) It's possible to take a snapshot with a scanner without turning the thing on its side! You can simply lift the cover and mash your mug on the glass.

Actually, I was surprised to discover that solid objects are imaged rather well on a flat-bed scanner, as long as the object isn't too large... example below:

back alley
10-20-2004, 18:30
ah...guys...we are a bit off topic here.
if we could return to the posted topic it would be appreciated.

i'd hate to have to shut down this thread. ;)
joe

jdos2
10-20-2004, 21:03
I thought we were discussing "canon," as in Pachalbel or something.

Russ
10-20-2004, 21:15
ah...guys...we are a bit off topic here.
if we could return to the posted topic it would be appreciated.

i'd hate to have to shut down this thread. ;)
joe

Yes, you guys. Get back on topic. I don't appreciate logging in to the group, just to read a load of gossip, levity, and to be subjected to images of young ladies "flashing" the photographer.

Now straighten up, and get back on topic. I would very much appreciate it :-)

Russ

back alley
10-20-2004, 22:07
thanks for your support russ.

joe

Roman
10-21-2004, 03:22
Hmm, while not completely 'on topic' about Canon Ps, this is a step in the right direction, i.e. cameras: do you know about this site:
http://www.geocities.com/fzorkis/
- this guy does great things with Russian rangefinders, not only recovering them w/ real leather, but also painting them.

Roman

Brian Sweeney
10-21-2004, 03:39
You know before JOE started all of this, McBroom's had Canon P's in user condition listed as $175! Gone are Those Days!

KEH ought'a be advertising here! And Essex Camera Repair.

wierdcollector
10-21-2004, 05:36
It's all Joe's fault. Now P's are inflated too much for cheapskates like me to afford them. Scenes of villagers storming the castle with torches and pitchforks come to mind. Run Joe, run.

back alley
10-21-2004, 05:57
gee, maybe i SHOULD delete this thread...

Russ
10-21-2004, 07:40
You know before JOE started all of this, McBroom's had Canon P's in user condition listed as $175! Gone are Those Days!

KEH ought'a be advertising here! And Essex Camera Repair.

I am guilty of the same thing. Older Vivitar S-1 and Kiron 105mm macro lenses used to come cheaper. But once I opened my big pie-hole, prces have risen, and it's started a feeding frenzy and bidding wars....

Russ

back alley
10-21-2004, 09:10
what fools we have been!

John Robertson
10-23-2004, 08:57
Remember - a bird in the hand is worth two in the Bush.

RML
12-07-2004, 05:15

What's hotter and sexier than PINK? And it will get noticed! And admired if you frequent the right places. :)

RML
12-07-2004, 05:18

That really is a very nice colour, isn't it? I think it matches very well with the chrome. And it'll match nicely with one of my tan summer jackets.

taffer
12-07-2004, 05:27
Now I want to cover my future P in Japanesque Gold :rolleyes:

back alley
12-07-2004, 05:55
candy apple red!

Doug
12-07-2004, 10:58
Sequins?

Brian Sweeney
12-07-2004, 11:21
When a Lady wants to look really sharp, she puts on the "Classic Black Dress". Some Gold or Silver for effect. Lesson to be learned here, cameras look best in Black!

pshinkaw
12-07-2004, 11:35
That's how the lunchbox collecting thing got started. One guy started a newsletter about collecting lunchboxes and primed the collecting market up until his own collection became valuable.

We could do the same thing here with Kodak Signet 40's or Fed-5B's. First we buy a whole bunch. Then we talk it up a lot with sample photos. When we get the interest up high enough we start trickling them in into e-Bay. While everyone else is buying Signet's we can buy Canons.

A couple of years ago Moskva-5's cost a lot more than they do now. However, several websites on Moskva's disappeared over the intervening years. I think there is less exposure now than just 3 years ago. Less demand...lower prices.

RML
12-07-2004, 11:50
When a Lady wants to look really sharp, she puts on the "Classic Black Dress". Some Gold or Silver for effect. Lesson to be learned here, cameras look best in Black!

Perhaps that goes in the West. In other parts of the world (Mongolia and India come to my mind) women dress up in bright colours for festivities and celebrations. Lesson to be learned here: cameras look good in colour too. :)

RML
12-07-2004, 11:53
Originally posted by pshinkaw
That's how the lunchbox collecting thing got started. One guy started a newsletter about collecting lunchboxes and primed the collecting market up until his own collection became valuable.

We could do the same thing here with Kodak Signet 40's or Fed-5B's. First we buy a whole bunch. Then we talk it up a lot with sample photos. When we get the interest up high enough we start trickling them in into e-Bay. While everyone else is buying Signet's we can buy Canons.

A couple of years ago Moskva-5's cost a lot more than they do now. However, several websites on Moskva's disappeared over the intervening years. I think there is less exposure now than just 3 years ago. Less demand...lower prices.

That's exactly what those guys at Lomography have done! Those plastic cameras are crap, not nearly in the same league as a Holga, but still they sell them like hot cakes because of the hype they've created around those crappy plastic things. IIRC they already jumped on the FED5 bandwagon as well.

Natalia
12-16-2004, 15:38
Now I will take "Favorite cameras for $200"

The answer is "Black Nikon SP"...

can't seem to find one in $200 range. All I see is about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30099&item=3859454906&rd=1

Russ
12-16-2004, 18:32
Originally posted by LilRedSpy
can't seem to find one in $200 range. All I see is about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30099&item=3859454906&rd=1

It's a toss-up, between the Vivitar ES & the Oly RC.

Russ

nwcanonman
12-16-2004, 22:50
Olympus SP dude!
:D

Brian Sweeney
12-17-2004, 03:05
Doohhh. Not a Jeapordy Fan.

Anyway, my Favorite camera that I paid $200 for is the Canon 7. Actually, it was $395 with the 50mm f1.4 lens.

My favorite lens that actually cost $200 was the Canon 50mm F0.95. That is known as a Happy BINge on Ebay.

oftheherd
12-17-2004, 05:38
Wow! A 50mm f/0.95. What a catch, Brian. I would love to see that in Coffee and Camera. Did you already post it there? That thing must be a trip in low light. How is it optically?

Brian Sweeney
12-17-2004, 07:08
Camera and Coffee Page with the Canon 50mm F0.95 (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=897&perpage=30&highlight=camera%20coffee&pagenumber=25)

Canon 50mm F0.95 Album (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/544)

Here are some samples. The 5x7's are really nice, even wide-open. Very little flare, even illumination across the entire image, a little soft wide-open. Overall, the sharpness of the lens is a bit better than the 40mm F1.7 lens Canonet QL 17. An amazing accomplishment for a faster than f1.0 lens designed in the '50s.

My favorite, Close-up and Wide-Open. and shot with the lens, right out of the box. (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/3761/sort/1/cat/544/page/1)

Russ
12-17-2004, 07:37
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brian Sweeney
[B

Here are some samples. The 5x7's are really nice, even wide-open. Very little flare, even illumination across the entire image, a little soft wide-open. Overall, the sharpness of the lens is a bit better than the 40mm F1.7 lens Canonet QL 17. An amazing accomplishment for a faster than f1.0 lens designed in the '50s.

Brian

Do you find the lens on your GIII QL-17, to be really sharp? Will it handle 8x10 enlargementsd?

Thanks
Russ

Brian Sweeney
12-17-2004, 08:11
Russ,
The lens on the Canonet is "sharp-enough" for 8x10's. I have some really good shots with it, usually get 5x7's as my standard print size from BJ's. Stopped down to F4 it is sharp, but by no means the sharpest lens out there. NO ONE is going to look at a well-exposed canonet shot that you hand-held nicely and think "Oh! What a soft Lens!"

taffer
12-29-2004, 08:36

If I ever win the lotto or come with some kind of 'vapoorize' invention which makes me rich, I think I'll send the 'P' to Hattori Hanzo... er I mean Shintaro in Japan for one of his black paint jobs.

Of course that would mean I'd have to get another one just to remember how the chrome one is :D

Brian Sweeney
12-29-2004, 10:15
That Canon P is elegant as is. If you have some ugly spots of rust/brassing, dents, or heavy brassing, it is worth it to have it repainted. That is why I sent in my SP: Perfect in every way except someone hit it over the viewfinder with an ugly stick. Worked great, looked great everywhere except the finder. It took almost one year to come back from Japan.

The way to do it is let someone else get a paint job then pick it off of Ebay. The big-money collectors want "all-original". By the time you add up the cost of the camera (a BARGAIN in your case) and $600~$800 for the paint job and shipping, the repaints on EBay are a decent price.

And I did buy a Chrome SP to remind me of what it looked like.

taffer
12-29-2004, 10:33
Let's reestructurate then...

If I win the lotto / do the vapoorize thing and I can find an ugly one, I'll send it to Shintaro and keep the current one to remind me of how chrome ones look like :D

Which btw, is SWEET as a sports car. Great handling, smooth as silk, very nice finder in use, even if I can't seem to manage with the both-eyes-open trick yet...

Joe buddy, now I fully understand, I've seen the light...

back alley
12-29-2004, 10:36
Joe buddy, now I fully understand, I've seen the light...

it was just a matter of time...

Brian Sweeney
12-29-2004, 10:37
If King Midas were alive today, he would want the touch to turn chrome cameras into black cameras. He would make more money and still be able to hug his loved ones.

taffer
12-29-2004, 10:48
it was just a matter of time...

Does that mean that after using it for a while I'll start looking for Canon filters, lenses, hoods et al ?

Oh man, I think I'll better start looking for a second job... and a weekend one :(

back alley
12-29-2004, 11:31
but of course!

and just to add...
my metal body caps arrived today. now i have metal caps for the bodies and lenses, correct hoods for all lenses...ah, at peace.

oh no, wait!
i just realized i might need caps for the 35/2.8 and the p.

will it never end...?!

joe

Rick Waldroup
12-30-2004, 05:01
Forget the Cannon P. My favorite camera of all time is the Canon EF, one of the first all auto, all electronic 35mm cameras made. Heck it's not even a rangefinder. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

back alley
12-30-2004, 07:19
i can see why you quote the gonzo journalist, hst.
;)

i'm not sure if he said it or if it was said about him, but one of my favourites and a philosophy i have tried to live by is..."when the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro"

joe

brcha
02-21-2005, 18:47
Limited and definitely an image-maker; you would have found a lot of if not better at least as good cameras. By the way, how many cameras, formats have you really tested (including digital)? :p

Stephanie Brim
02-27-2006, 14:00
I shall go with the...Canon P!

Tough choice, though.

darkkavenger
02-27-2006, 14:02
I must have a serious disease, I see only "Kiev" ... :confused:

amateriat
02-27-2006, 14:16
Forget the Cannon P. My favorite camera of all time is the Canon EF, one of the first all auto, all electronic 35mm cameras made. Heck it's not even a rangefinder. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Mmm, well...

The Canon EF was my second SLR after the F-1 (which it occompanied in my camera bag for several years before replacing it with an A-1, which I actually hated and ditched after six months). One of the reasons I was so drawn to Leica's M5 (an attraction which, regrettably, I failed to act on, even though I could've just afforded it at the time), was that shutter-speed dial.

But, of course, it's an SLR...

As far as camera finishes go, Konica made it awfully simply for me with the cameras I have (an Auto S3 and a pair of Hexar RFs). Only in black*, just like my F-1 and EF way back when.

- Barrett

(*Yes, there was a "Millenium Edition" HRF in "naked" Titanium, and as someone here pointed out, there was also a chrome version of the S3 (called the C35 Super, if I remember, but I don't think it was officially marketed outside Japan.)

Gabriel M.A.
02-27-2006, 15:19
What are the choices again? I'm confused...

rover
02-27-2006, 16:00
I forget what I voted for in this one

julianphotoart
02-28-2006, 22:08
The beautiful little "P" is up against some pretty pushy heavweights. You'll be glad to know, Joe, that I voted for the the right choice in the other poll. So, since I voted the right way already, I shouldn't double-dip by voting again in this poll.

We need greater visibility to help out on that other poll. You're being too subtle. We need some Quebec ad agencies who can find someone to do up some "Canon P" personalized golf balls.

Stephanie Brim
02-28-2006, 22:09
So...did I get this one?

BillBingham2
08-18-2007, 14:18
I got here too late and was not able to vote. I feel like an hanging chad, no body loves me!

Well done sir.

B2 (;->

Xmas
08-18-2007, 14:27
Joe

2004 was a good year for Canon P polls.
For the london Aug 07 outing I took along a P and VI, after the look at the shutter released and fondle the viewfinder session, they asked why did Joe sell his Canon kit?

True story...

Noel

markinlondon
08-18-2007, 15:48
Joe

2004 was a good year for Canon P polls.
For the london Aug 07 outing I took along a P and VI, after the look at the shutter released and fondle the viewfinder session, they asked why did Joe sell his Canon kit?

True story...

Noel

He's not kidding, you know! I still don't like all those framelines at once, or was that the other one?

back alley
08-18-2007, 17:31
resurrecting the dead here i see.

the canon p is a fine camera and much loved by me still, but it's a part of my history now.
the 3 framelines at once was never a bother for me, after a while you just see the one you need.

joe