PDA

View Full Version : Prone to Fungus Attack

mark_pw
10-02-2018, 01:42
I have been from time to time looking for a half-frame RF camera. Olympus PEN-F has frequently on the top of my wish list.

I have checked a number of them online and in store.

Just like this one: :eek:

https://ebay.to/2NfDgZC

Quite often they have been infected by fungus. Is it a design issue of the camera that it is prone to fungus attack? Will the fungus come back quite soon after removed? :confused:

Bill Clark
10-02-2018, 02:53
I believe fungus growth is determined more by environment than anything else. Heat, humidity, dark storage help with this growing on camera lenses.

zuikologist
10-02-2018, 05:31
I have two - the shutter is more likely to be an issue than fungus.

Roger Hicks
10-02-2018, 05:51
It's hard to see how any camera design could be unusually prone to fungus attack, though I suppose it's just about conceivable that some types of glass might be more vulnerable than others.

My own unkind suspicion is that Pen Fs are a bit like (proper, traditional) Minoxes. People buy them because they're cute, and then find that they're not as useful as they look, so they put them away in the dark and they go mouldy.

And yes, I've had both a Pen F and (two) Minox Bs.

Cheers,

R.

jbielikowski
10-02-2018, 09:15
You are looking at cheap cameras from Japan, 90% of them is cheap because of the fungus, those without it are rated mint and cost more.

Roger Hicks
10-02-2018, 10:50
You are looking at cheap cameras from Japan, 90% of them is cheap because of the fungus, those without it are rated mint and cost more.
Sounds convincing.

Then again, from all I've read, Japanese "mint" is a flexible term.

Cheers,

R.

valdas
10-02-2018, 12:13
Sounds convincing.

Then again, from all I've read, Japanese "mint" is a flexible term.

Cheers,

R.

I think it happens everywhere - cheap is always suspicious. I have just bought Olympus XA on ebay (from UK I assumed, but in fact it was Isle of Man). Anyway - it was with "minor issue" - poor RF patch, but optics were advertised as very clean... Well - the fungus was so bad it gave "Leica glow" at all apertures when I shot the test roll. I was stupid to accept the partial refund (which was about 70% of the price I paid), I thought I could maybe live with it or manage to clean. No way - it basically has "soft focus" lens :)

Example below even with adjusted contrast...

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107759&stc=1&d=1538511141

mark_pw
10-02-2018, 22:02
It's hard to see how any camera design could be unusually prone to fungus attack, though I suppose it's just about conceivable that some types of glass might be more vulnerable than others.

My own unkind suspicion is that Pen Fs are a bit like (proper, traditional) Minoxes. People buy them because they're cute, and then find that they're not as useful as they look, so they put them away in the dark and they go mouldy.

And yes, I've had both a Pen F and (two) Minox Bs.

Cheers,

R.

Yes, they are cute :p. I also have the Minoxes. I also have Rollei 35s.