PDA

View Full Version : Will the new Panasonic Lumix S series give Sony real competition?

CameraQuest
09-25-2018, 11:15
title says it all

the claims are certainly impressive

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/25/17897454/panasonic-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-photokina-2018

Emile de Leon
09-25-2018, 12:19
No flippy screen..no flippy my credit card...lol..

JP Owens
09-25-2018, 12:24
My biggest problem with the latest offerings such as this is the "price is no object" philosophy in making them. Four thousand dollar cameras seem to be the new "sweet spot." Pretty soon, Leica cameras are going to look cheap!

Hogarth Ferguson
09-25-2018, 12:26
My biggest problem with the latest offerings such as this is the "price is no object" philosophy in making them. Four thousand dollar cameras seem to be the new "sweet spot." Pretty soon, Leica cameras are going to look cheap!

2k is my sweet spot, 4k, the camera would have to last 10+ years, but they come out with new ones every couple and make out like if you don't get the newest one, you can't shoot good photos.

kxl
09-25-2018, 13:00
This is a $5k camera. Add to that a Leica L-mount lens and we're talking about gear that is obviously targeting a relatively small population, based on price alone. That relatively small population will be sliced and diced even further to specific uses, i.e., those who are willing and able to spend that kind of money to get the very best for their professional or well-heeled amateur use (assuming the S series lives up to all of the claims). Within those specific uses, what are the alternatives? A Fuji GFX 50R in some cases?

Assuming it lives up to the claims, I think it will carve out a niche for itself. Will it give Sony real competition? Maybe within that specific niche, but in terms of overall universal FF mirrorless utility and function -- no, not even close.

ptpdprinter
09-25-2018, 13:03
What are the respective MSRPs for the Panasonic S1 (24MP) and S1R (48MP) introduced today? Were any MSRPs announced for the three lenses also introduced?

jsrockit
09-25-2018, 13:34
I just can't get into these cameras...they are all quickly becoming the same shape and size. Just like DSLRs.

Range-rover
09-25-2018, 14:57
And then there's the new 100 megapixel Fuji.

Bill Blackwell
09-25-2018, 15:03
... Pretty soon, Leica cameras are going to look cheap!
I don't think you need to worry about Leica staying ahead of the curve!

Peter Jennings
09-25-2018, 15:24
So when are the affordable full frame digital cameras coming? In the days of film, there were pro 35mm models and models for regular people. Will such a thing not happen with FF digital? Are we the amateurs expected to just use our phones, wait a few years for used models, or settle for cropped sensors? Is there no democratization of FF digital coming?

aizan
09-25-2018, 15:57
it's odd that panasonic didn't make a video-centric model, since that's what they're best at. it's going to be an uphill battle in the still photo market.

Godfrey
09-25-2018, 16:03
So when are the affordable full frame digital cameras coming? In the days of film, there were pro 35mm models and models for regular people. Will such a thing not happen with FF digital? Are we the amateurs expected to just use our phones, wait a few years for used models, or settle for cropped sensors? Is there no democratization of FF digital coming?

The Sony cameras are the democratization, and they're made like cheap junk IMO. You want real quality, you need to spend more money. It's that simple.

I've found I don't really need the likes of the Leica SL or these new Panasonics anymore. I have my M-D when I want a FF sensor, but I'm getting such good results out of the Leica CL with its APS-C format, I just don't see the need for the larger sensor very often at all.

Range-rover
09-25-2018, 16:09
I don't think you need to worry about Leica staying ahead of the curve!

I really don't think Leica been ahead of the curve in years, there's to
much competition now.

Godfrey
09-25-2018, 16:37
much competition now.

I think Bill was being sarcastic and referring to Leica's prices.

That said, whether ahead of or behind the mythical technological curve is no relevant. Leica cameras continue to make some of the best photos around in the hands of good photographers, and that's what matters more than any notion of being ahead of or behind a curve.

Huss
09-25-2018, 16:43

They are here already.

Brand new Sony A7 is still being made and sold. $800 for 24mp FF sensor.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008114-REG/sony_ilce7_b_a7_mirrorless_digital_camera.html

No need to buy used.

Range-rover
09-25-2018, 17:24
You're right, when I was in B&H the other day they had it on display. It's still a great
little camera, I wish the other companies would do the same.

Ko.Fe.
09-25-2018, 18:38
...Just like DSLRs.
"They are been very difficult to deal with, very spoiled"

I'm, as very spoiled Canadian, want it to be small and OVF. Digital Minox 35 with APS-C sensor. But I guess here is not enough those who are willing to scale focus. Most are spoiled with AF :)

benlees
09-25-2018, 18:51
Not sure what I was expecting, but I'm amazed that Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic are basically just copying Sony. Might as well share a mount.

Peter Jennings
09-25-2018, 20:22
My last comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, but I still find it strange that we don’t yet have new mirrorless cameras with FF sensors available for less than a grand. I have the original A7, and it suits me fine right now. But after having it a few years, it’s odd that it is still the only option available at that price point. I don’t know. I assume I’m out of touch. I just find that the camera market these days is in a weird place.

Calzone
09-26-2018, 06:03
much competition now.

Bob,

There are a few things Leica was ahead that you discounted. First is they developed the "L" mount. The new Panasonic's will have dual card slots and be weather sealed like my SL.

Don't forget the SL's electronic VFer.

You are otherwise correct. In many other ways Leica was not ahead of the curve. It will be very interesting how Leica counters the Panasonic offerings. I would expect a few surprises.

Cal