PDA

View Full Version : Leica a la Carte is a la Dead

CameraQuest
04-29-2018, 19:44
Alas, the Leica a la carte program
where you would pretty much build your own custom Leica body
(for a price)
has apparently been cut off life support.

If you were about to make such an order, get it in quickly!

Hopefully the upset will be great enough
for Leica to affirm the close to dead program will be continued.

kshapero
04-29-2018, 19:50
(for a price)

miss my a la carte M7 .85 so much. Always said I would get another,,, too late, now.

michaelwj
04-29-2018, 21:13
I always thought that the a la carte program was a way for Leica to keep making film cameras without really making film cameras. They could just make them as orders came in rather than making 1000 at a time. For them to close the a la carte system means a few things for me;

1. They are selling enough MP's and M7's to make them in bulk again. I doubt it. So...
2. The MP and M7 are soon to be discontinued.
3. The M-A is still being made in large batches. Or ...
4. The M-A will also be discontinued and Leica will no longer make new film cameras.

I unfortunately think #4 is the most likely outcome. I believe Leica may have made only two batches of M-A's (based on serial numbers), the last one being made a few years ago. I think once they're gone, they're gone.

Archiver
04-29-2018, 22:59
4. The M-A will also be discontinued and Leica will no longer make new film cameras.

I unfortunately think #4 is the most likely outcome. I believe Leica may have made only two batches of M-A's (based on serial numbers), the last one being made a few years ago. I think once they're gone, they're gone.

Ugh, I'm closing to my ears to such horrible doomsaying. :eek:

shimokita
04-29-2018, 23:03
Alas, the Leica a la carte program where you would pretty much build your own custom Leica body (for a price) has apparently been cut off life support.

Do you have a source for that?

Jaymz007
04-29-2018, 23:30
How do you know that? I just checked Leica’s website and seems like they updated the Ala Carte program section with new Photos.
Plus I ordered one just about 2 months ago.

ian_watts
04-30-2018, 01:35
For them to close the a la carte system means a few things for me;

If the rumour turns out to be true, it could simply mean that the à la carte programme is no longer worth the bother. I don't see that the closing of the programme necessarily means that Leica no longer finds regular film body production worthwhile. Anecdotally the MP is still in good demand (and, being presumably "between batches", is currently backordered at many dealers). The M-A still seems to be finding buyers (though I get the sense that it is no longer quite the flavour of the month it was a couple of years ago)

I'd wait for something more authoritative before jumping to conclusions.

dave lackey
04-30-2018, 03:01
Winds of change?

Volvo just announced they will build only electric cars immediately.

Ford has dropped all cars from their model lineup immediately with the exception of the Mustang and some forgettable small sedan (whatever it is named).

Leica dropping a la carte? Another dream lost.

Mercedes dropped its vintage/classic/older car customers years ago. Try getting them to work on a 1995 W124... the techs don't know how, according to the service advisors.

And much more...

The good news is it doesn't affect me... I can't afford any of them anyway.:p

michaelwj
04-30-2018, 03:03
I'd wait for something more authoritative before jumping to conclusions.

But if we can’t jump to rash conclusions based on a rumour then what’s the internet for? :D

LukasB
04-30-2018, 03:14
Well, it seems odd. I can't think of a real reason that you would discontinue a Service (other than it no longer makes you Money.) Unless there were exclusive Builders who made the a la carte Models who Leica were no longer able to justify their Position, perhaps? I feel they would increase Cost before discontinuing the service. But who knows, Leica make questionable decisions.

Michael Markey
04-30-2018, 03:43
I can't imagine that it's still an economically viable proposition
The numbers availing themselves of this service must be very small indeed .

Mackinaw
04-30-2018, 05:54
Winds of change?

Volvo just announced they will build only electric cars immediately.

Ford has dropped all cars from their model lineup immediately with the exception of the Mustang and some forgettable small sedan (whatever it is named)........

Wrong on Volvo. They'll be building EV's and hybrids (which include a gasoline engine). They are not going 100% EV.

As for Ford, they'll be phasing out some sedans over a several year period. Not immediate, as you suggest.

Jim B.

sanmich
04-30-2018, 05:59
What about 0.58x and 0.85x finders?

dave lackey
04-30-2018, 06:24
Wrong on Volvo. They'll be building EV's and hybrids (which include a gasoline engine). They are not going 100% EV.

As for Ford, they'll be phasing out some sedans over a several year period. Not immediate, as you suggest.

Jim B.

Details, details...:) their PROGRAM is gowing into effect very soon. Not my news! It was in CNN Money last week... When the consumer buys the vehicles for each will take a handful of years, of course. I guess they are wrong?

Not to hijack this thread, it is all I will say about that. I am more interested in the Leica topic.:)

stephen.w
04-30-2018, 06:27

I was going to ask the same thing. The link for the configurator is still working: https://a-la-carte-configurator.leica-camera.com/?lang=en&DEF=definitions_UK

Of course the film M's are not the only cameras offered in terms of the a la carte program. I can see why Leica would abandon the digital side of the program (a slightly bespoke M240 seems a bad excuse to part with 5000 GBP where we stand in 2018).

splitimageview
04-30-2018, 06:30
No worries, there is always camerworks-uk.com (https://www.cameraworks-uk.com) (Alan Starkie) who can customize any barnack or M (or even lenses) with options that Leica doesn't offer. :)

Mackinaw
04-30-2018, 06:31
Details, details...:) their PROGRAM is gowing into effect very soon. Not my news! It was in CNN Money last week... When the consumer buys the vehicles for each will take a handful of years, of course. I guess they are wrong?

Not to hijack this thread, it is all I will say about that. I am more interested in the Leica topic.:)

Agreed, let's not hijack this thread. But forget CNN Money. Read the trade publication "Automotive News" if you want the real scoop on the auto industry.

Jim B.

BillBingham2
04-30-2018, 06:44
Seems silly.

Why not extend to digital Ms and drop film bodies when availability drys up.

B2 (;->

Godfrey
04-30-2018, 06:45
I wonder what the profit advantage to the ala carte program is (or was, as the case might be) to Leica. There's a lot of cost overhead to such a customizable purchase program.

It's all academic and makes little difference to me in the end: My ala carte favorite Leica would be exactly what my M-D typ 262 is as I bought it, so there's no value to an ala carte order for my purposes. Now, supposedly, the M-D typ 262 is discontinued anyway ... but I'm not crying about it: I have mine, and there are enough new ones still in dealer and distributor hands that I could likely find another if I was so motivated. So now I have a limited edition camera ... think of the add to the collectible value! :)

I still don't need a film body replacement for my M4-2 either. :D

Such is the way of all manufactured products. They have a production lifespan. When it's over, it's over ... Just like us. The only difference is that production for any manufactured product can be restarted if there's enough interest .. and profit to justify it.

G

wjlapier
04-30-2018, 07:30
No worries, there is always camerworks-uk.com (https://www.cameraworks-uk.com) (Alan Starkie) who can customize any barnack or M (or even lenses) with options that Leica doesn't offer. :)

Add DAG to that option. And Kanto Camera.

David Hughes
04-30-2018, 07:44
But if we can’t jump to rash conclusions based on a rumour then what’s the internet for? :D

Exactly and we are supposed to add to the rumour and generally stir things up a bit...

Regards, David

sepiareverb
04-30-2018, 13:09
I wonder what this will do the price of used M bodies with the 0.58 VF.

Ko.Fe.
04-30-2018, 13:28
Volvo makes real trucks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_Trucks
Ford makes pickup trucks and cargo vans.

We are looking for our next car to be electrical.

Leica... I can't afford any new one...

wjlapier
04-30-2018, 14:09
I wonder what this will do the price of used M bodies with the 0.58 VF.

Might have to put in an order for a few for retirement.

JeffNYC
04-30-2018, 14:23
miss my a la carte M7 .85 so much. Always said I would get another,,, too late, now.

I bet it was a beauty.

:-)

Jeff

dave lackey
04-30-2018, 14:33
Volvo makes real trucks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_Trucks
Ford makes pickup trucks and cargo vans.

We are looking for our next car to be electrical.

Leica... I can't afford any new one...

Yeah, me, too... saving up for the new VW Microbus (The I.D. Buzz... it is set to have 369 horsepower:eek:). But, the Leica a la carte is cheaper....

I would hate to see history changed at Leica... a la carte is such a signature product for a fine camera.

Greyscale
04-30-2018, 14:46

Including installing titanium shutters.

Timmyjoe
04-30-2018, 14:50
The Leica a la carte still allows you to configure an a la carte camera, although after configuration I didn't try to place an order because it's out of my price range. Didn't see anything on their web site saying the program is dead.

Best,
-Tim

willie_901
05-01-2018, 05:23

Mercedes dropped its vintage/classic/older car customers years ago. Try getting them to work on a 1995 W124... the techs don't know how, according to the service advisors.

Not exactly, Mercedes will deliver parts for any car... even pre-WW II cars. Of course, the cost is extremely high. So will BMW and Porsche.

Mercedes doesn't spend money to train techs on cars that are a tiny percentage of their service repair business. You wouldn't either. Independent specialty mechanics do this. When I owned a 1971 911 and used an independent shop that specialized in vintage Porsches. Most of the mechanics owned or worked on amateur vintage race cars. The shop worked on road cars to pay the bills. The Porsche dealer wouldn't even acknowledge my car existed unless I only wanted to order OEM factory parts.

But wait, it gets much worse.

Mercedes and Porsche are now offering subscription services. The customer pays a heft monthly fee and can switch cars models ever 60 days or so. Obviously this trend is Adobe's fault. I hope no one's head explodes.

dave lackey
05-01-2018, 05:54
Not exactly, Mercedes will deliver parts for any car... even pre-WW II cars. Of course, the cost is extremely high. So will BMW and Porsche.

Mercedes doesn't spend money to train techs on cars that are a tiny percentage of their service repair business. You wouldn't either. Independent specialty mechanics do this. When I owned a 1971 911 and used an independent shop that specialized in vintage Porsches. Most of the mechanics owned or worked on amateur vintage race cars. The shop worked on road cars to pay the bills. The Porsche dealer wouldn't even acknowledge my car existed unless I only wanted to order OEM factory parts.

But wait, it gets much worse.

Mercedes and Porsche are now offering subscription services. The customer pays a heft monthly fee and can switch cars models ever 60 days or so. Obviously this trend is Adobe's fault. I hope no one's head explodes.

I hear ya!

Eight years ago, anyone could call Road Assistance, have MB cars serviced, order parts, and even be treated a bit nice no matter if one had a vintage or simply an older sedan. No more. Our service tech will not schedule work for us any longer because MB does not have parts for my wife's 1995 sedan. We are referred to Indie shops and they actually know what they are doing... but there is nothing special with that marque any longer and I speak from over a million miles over the years in their products.

Winds of change indeed.

We are lucky to have Leica with parts and service availability even though their products can be sketchy (sensors) and their service sucks (with half a year sometimes being required to fix a camera). Leica still treats customers as special... even charging extraordinary prices!:):):) just kidding... But the a la carte program is unique and I sure would hate to see that go away.

Huss
05-01-2018, 07:27
I will make sure to place my Sofort a la carte order while I still can.

Out to Lunch
05-01-2018, 08:33
The invisible hand dictates that I should put up my pristine a-la-carte m7 for sale whenever the price is peaking...

Godfrey
05-01-2018, 09:59
Hmm. My Mercedes-Benz SLK280 is a dozen years old, still going strong, and my indie Merc mechanic is a delight to work with—keeps it running like new. The dealership doesn't even want to look at me when I walk in the door, but what do I care? They were always xxxx in my opinion anyway.

The cars are—or rather, my car is—excellent, love it. I paid a pittance for it in 2016 and it should last me another decade or so.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5606/30713027250_769c27e4d5_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NN1hYA)

Admittedly, it's not a 1995, but eh? Time will continue on. :D

Phil_F_NM
05-01-2018, 10:01
Snooze.
These aren't the droids you're looking for.
Leica alienated me as a working photographer years ago with their unreliable gear, inordinately long repair times and obfuscatory customer service. I guess I just didn't spend enough money, even though a new M9 was a lot of money to me. Not enough to be treated well.
When Leica finally swirls down the drain, I won't be sad.

Phil Forrest

wjlapier
05-01-2018, 10:16
Snooze.
These aren't the droids you're looking for.
Leica alienated me as a working photographer years ago with their unreliable gear, inordinately long repair times and obfuscatory customer service. I guess I just didn't spend enough money, even though a new M9 was a lot of money to me. Not enough to be treated well.
When Leica finally swirls down the drain, I won't be sad.

Phil Forrest

I didn't want to say this but my alacarte M7 was the last Leica I bought. Brand new custom made for me and there were various issues that had this thing in the shop more than I shot it. The MP I had previous same thing. Both cameras jammed--the M7 twice. DAG told me they use some cheap part in the advance mechanism but he fixed that for me. At that point I lost confidence in the camera and sold it. The one Leica M I had that was reliable I sold and regret it a bit, but I'm glad move on. I like the R bodies I have currently, so I'm still using Leica I guess--someone said they were actually Minolta--haha... Well, at least the 35 Elmarit-R is a bonafide Leica :rolleyes:

ptpdprinter
05-01-2018, 10:24
The only a la carte option that affects shooting is viewfinder magnification. The rest is just cosmetics. Who cares? Does the world really need a custom Leica ostrich strap at a $160 premium? Will that make your images any better? Now, if they offered an optional 42MP BIS sensor, maybe.

Sumarongi
05-01-2018, 10:32
*The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.*
-- L. à la Carte

dave lackey
05-01-2018, 12:34
The only a la carte option that affects shooting is viewfinder magnification. The rest is just cosmetics. Who cares?

I do.... will never be able to afford one but I would love to do so.:)

emilsand
05-01-2018, 12:40
(for a price)

Seriously? No source?

dave lackey
05-01-2018, 12:49
Hmm. My Mercedes-Benz SLK280 is a dozen years old, still going strong, and my indie Merc mechanic is a delight to work with—keeps it running like new. The dealership doesn't even want to look at me when I walk in the door, but what do I care? They were always assholes in my opinion anyway.

The cars are—or rather, my car is—excellent, love it. I paid a pittance for it in 2016 and it should last me another decade or so.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5606/30713027250_769c27e4d5_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/NN1hYA)

Admittedly, it's not a 1995, but eh? Time will continue on. :D

Our cars (1995 and 1999) together are pushing a half million miles. Love that and they will easily last as long as I want to drive. I tend to agree about the dealers...:):):) the cars are remarkable, the marque has lost a lot of the positives, starting with their dealers, though.

Could not have more reliable, cheaper and enjoyable transportation. Have done the math consistently over the last few decades and they are a joy.

I will admit to dreaming of a 2005/6 SLK. I would love to have one and they are not only cheap but the engine is bullet-proof... same as my wife's 99ML with 300k miles. Just can't get rid of the ones she has... they are that good...:(I think I could sell both for maybe half of what a new Leica would cost!

Leica... I love them but can't begin to afford new ones or put up with the service issues.:)

So, I will keep shooting the X1, it has been quite reliable except for a few minor problems not requiring service. I use every single day. Something I wish I could do with an MP a la carte.

David Hughes
05-01-2018, 13:04
I know the problem, my car is worth less than the insurance costs as a trade in but it suits me and I know the beast and its little ways...

Regards, David

PS And who would buy an à la carte when there's so many M2's about and they don't get much better?

CameraQuest
05-01-2018, 14:19
Seriously? No source?

seriously?
how many sources are quoted on most rumor sites?

I am told Leica plans to kill this program in the not too distant future.

I'm sharing the info so those sitting on the fence about ordering a la carte
can get their order in before orders are closed.

kshapero
05-01-2018, 14:30
I bet it was a beauty.

:-)

Jeffi think i showed it to you many years ago in Florida, but maybe not.

michaelwj
05-01-2018, 14:37
seriously?
how many sources are quoted on most rumor sites?

I am told Leica plans to kill this program in the not too distant future.

I'm sharing the info so those sitting on the fence about ordering a la carte
can get their order in before orders are closed.

And the issue is no one in this thread said they would order one without adding “if I could afford it”. No one is buying, so they stop selling.

pyeh
05-01-2018, 23:11
I ordered one. Stephen Gandy sufficiently spooked me into pulling my finger out. I hope his rumour is correct.

mcfingon
05-02-2018, 00:18
I ordered one. Stephen Gandy sufficiently spooked me into pulling my finger out. I hope his rumour is correct.
That sounds positive, Peter. Share a picture of it when you get it please.
John Mc

pyeh
05-02-2018, 04:02
Thanks, John. In fact I take all the reassurance I can get, after lashing out so bigly.

dave lackey
05-02-2018, 04:18
Peter,

You inspire me!:$

gnuyork
05-02-2018, 04:26
PS And who would buy an à la carte when there's so many M2's about and they don't get much better?

My next camera (unless I go for a 500CM instead).

Ko.Fe.
05-02-2018, 05:11
Maybe this programm as dead as Leicazenitshtain is alive...

jaapv
05-02-2018, 06:14
It is pretty lively for a corpse...

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M-a-la-carte

David Hughes
05-02-2018, 06:14
My next camera (unless I go for a 500CM instead).

I understand...

jaapv
05-02-2018, 06:17

I bet he hasn't...

Huss
05-02-2018, 09:49
I'm betting his source is more reliable than your Leica source that told you only 1% of M9s suffered from sensor failure.

I bet he hasn't...

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147891

According to my sources the number of corroded sensors is low, in the order of 1%.

benlees
05-02-2018, 10:55
Why would they stop the program? Very easy way to generate extra $.

rfaspen
05-02-2018, 10:59
My own official research suggests a high rate of M9 sensor corrosion:

How do I come to that conclusion?

Every M9 owner I know has found corrosion (admittedly, some only found it recently). So, in my sample the corrosion rate is 100%.

Seriously, a few years back, I don't think anyone knew how the sensor issue would unfold. Now that we can look back over time, it seems reasonable to think all M9 family sensors will experience corrosion. In fact, I'm curious to know if there are any M9 (or family) sensors out there that have not yet experienced corrosion; or have they all succumbed by this point in time? I wonder if Leica is tracking these data -- they should be able to get a good handle on that question (statistically and rigorously).

CameraQuest
05-02-2018, 11:08
My own official research suggests a high rate of M9 sensor corrosion:

How do I come to that conclusion?

Every M9 owner I know has found corrosion (admittedly, some only found it recently). So, in my sample the corrosion rate is 100%.

Seriously, a few years back, I don't think anyone knew how the sensor issue would unfold. Now that we can look back over time, it seems reasonable to think all M9 family sensors will experience corrosion. In fact, I'm curious to know if there are any M9 (or family) sensors out there that have not yet experienced corrosion; or have they all succumbed by this point in time? I wonder if Leica is tracking these data -- they should be able to get a good handle on that question (statistically and rigorously).

except that Leica went to a new M9 sensor about a year ago.
There may or may not be a corrosion problems on the new type M9 sensor.

I do agree that on the first version M9 sensor,
corrosion seems to be a matter of when, not if.

jonmanjiro
05-02-2018, 17:47

Cooooool :cool:

Do tell, Pete! What did you order???

CameraQuest
05-02-2018, 18:47
I bet he hasn't...

that is a bet you would lose.

pyeh
05-02-2018, 22:19
Cooooool :cool:

Do tell, Pete! What did you order???

Ahh, not telling. Actually, I went for black paint, 0.58 VF, M3 rewind and advance lever, no script at all and special leather. Standard nylon strap (because I'll put on a Gordy or cord strap), standard framelines (ie includes 75mm). The leather choice might be the thing you object to, going by your reaction to my other 0.58 MP.
I'll have an unveiling party when it comes, which at Leica's glacial speed will be next millennium sometime.

Sumarongi
05-02-2018, 22:35
According to *my* source, Walter Mandler has been cloned, finally! That's a huge success of German cloning technology. Additionally, they've also cloned Walter's favourite Unicorn, you know, the one that has the special *furz* that is needed to very accurately and very slowly cool down the molten glass...

:D

Jaymz007
05-02-2018, 23:54
I am very Lucky!!
I am going to get my Ala Carte next week. I have been waiting since Dec of last year.
Good thing I ordered mine before they end the Ala Carte Program.

pyeh
05-03-2018, 00:34
Jaymz007, I was wondering how long an a la carte takes. My dealer said "minimum of 8 weeks" but it sounds like it's more like 5 months.

Jaymz007
05-03-2018, 00:40
I ordered it 12/19/17. And only now they are doing the engraving of my signature on top.
My Leica dealer said they should send it from Germany next week so by the time I get it, it might be another 3 weeks.

Jaymz007
05-03-2018, 00:46
Sorry I just look at my emails and I confirmed the final order on 1/19/18, so it is more like 4 months Total if it arrives this month. If not I guess it is more like 5 months.

ian_watts
05-03-2018, 02:30
Sorry I just look at my emails and I confirmed the final order on 1/19/18, so it is more like 4 months Total if it arrives this month.

About the same length of time it took Leica to service my M-A recently. Probably the same technician does both jobs:D (I was told there is only one person servicing film cameras at Leica now).

Tompas
05-03-2018, 02:55
(...) *furz* (...)

Your German is excellent, congratulations! :D

pyeh
05-03-2018, 03:01
Thanks for the time information, jaymzbond. Gives me some idea.
Ian, the lone film M tech must sit next to Huss’s single M9 sensor replacement tech. Perhaps this film person is about to retire and that’s why Stephen foresees the imminent end of a la carte. The M9 chap/woman, on the other hand, will be gainfully employed for years.

Tompas
05-03-2018, 03:03
(Completely off-topic...)

I'm glad some of you still have such an high opinion of German cars. Our next car will very likely be a Japanese one. Or maybe a French one; the best (as in no trouble at all for 14 years, until I sold it) car I ever had, was a Citroen. Go figure...

David Hughes
05-03-2018, 04:19
Hi,

It must have been a 2CV* as that's the only one from all those years ago I remember with a smile...

Regards, David

* AKA the tin snail.

Godfrey
05-03-2018, 07:31
I still want a Citroën DS21 ... Someday! :D

What I should have, actually, is something more like a Ford Transit ... That way, I'd have something I could carry my cameras and bicycle in. But I like driving the SLK too much.

G

Huss
05-03-2018, 07:49
(Completely off-topic...)

I'm glad some of you still have such an high opinion of German cars. Our next car will very likely be a Japanese one. Or maybe a French one; the best (as in no trouble at all for 14 years, until I sold it) car I ever had, was a Citroen. Go figure...

I just saw 2 different Citroen DS cars on a road trip in California last week.
What a cool car.

Didn't Maserati have a version? The SM I think?

Huss
05-03-2018, 07:51
Thanks for the time information, jaymzbond. Gives me some idea.
Ian, the lone film M tech must sit next to Huss’s single M9 sensor replacement tech. Perhaps this film person is about to retire and that’s why Stephen foresees the imminent end of a la carte. The M9 chap/woman, on the other hand, will be gainfully employed for years.

FYI the manager of a certain Leica Store told me they only have one tech, which is why it takes so long. I don't think he was meant to tell me that...

Huss
05-03-2018, 07:52
About the same length of time it took Leica to service my M-A recently. Probably the same technician does both jobs:D (I was told there is only one person servicing film cameras at Leica now).

What did your M-A need? I had my M-A 'a la carte-d' by DAG as I had him remove the useless to me 75mm frame lines. Now the view with a 50mm lens is as it should be - like an M4!

David Hughes
05-03-2018, 10:30
I just saw 2 different Citroen DS cars on a road trip in California last week.
What a cool car.

Didn't Maserati have a version? The SM I think?

Yes, the Maserati version was something really, really special. Many years ago the prototype of the RHD version was offered for sale in the club's magazine but - alas - I didn't have that sort of money.

Regards, David

kshapero
05-03-2018, 13:27
I am very Lucky!!
I am going to get my Ala Carte next week. I have been waiting since Dec of last year.
Good thing I ordered mine before they end the Ala Carte Program.

Please tell us what you are getting.

kshapero
05-03-2018, 13:31
Saw a Citroen pickup truck at the beach last week. I was soaking wet from swimming and could not get a shot off. It looked like a custom hatchet job, but I can not say for sure.
It was something like this

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/72/e5/1e/72e51ef98dc926123122fb34c36562a9--rover-p-pickup-trucks.jpg

Godfrey
05-03-2018, 16:47
Yes, the Maserati version was something really, really special. Many years ago the prototype of the RHD version was offered for sale in the club's magazine but - alas - I didn't have that sort of money.

The SM was very special, but the even more exotic XM of middle 1990s era was even more so. I had one of those as a hire car on one trip to the UK: it was a fantastic sedan, looked and drove as if it had come from somewhere Other Than Here.

Citroen have not distributed to the USA since about 1973. It’s a terrible shame.

CMur12
05-03-2018, 17:05
This looks like a Rover 2000 or 2000 TC converted into a pickup.
(Edit: I just noticed the bulge on the hood, so this is probably the Rover 3500, with the B-O-P [Buick-Olds-Pontiac] aluminum V8 purchased from GM.)

The Citroen SM was a Citroen with a Maserati engine. Citroen had bought out Maserati not long before that, as I recall.

I agree with Godrey. The Citroen DS 21 was an amazing car and I would dearly love to have one, myself!

- Murray

Saw a Citroen pickup truck at the beach last week. I was soaking wet from swimming and could not get a shot off. It looked like a custom hatchet job, but I can not say for sure.
It was something like this

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/72/e5/1e/72e51ef98dc926123122fb34c36562a9--rover-p-pickup-trucks.jpg

Huss
05-03-2018, 19:39
I like the direction that this thread has taken!

coogee
05-03-2018, 22:45
LOL at the picture of that Rover - pure filth! :D

CMur12
05-03-2018, 23:00
LOL at the picture of that Rover - pure filth! :D

Or sacrilege.

- Murray

bennyng
05-04-2018, 00:04
Ahh, not telling. Actually, I went for black paint, 0.58 VF, M3 rewind and advance lever, no script at all and special leather. Standard nylon strap (because I'll put on a Gordy or cord strap), standard framelines (ie includes 75mm). The leather choice might be the thing you object to, going by your reaction to my other 0.58 MP.
I'll have an unveiling party when it comes, which at Leica's glacial speed will be next millennium sometime.

Goodness Peter!! We should definitely plan a unveiling party. Perhaps you tell them you would like to pick it up at Ginza? I'll pop by!

Cheers,

Sumarongi
05-04-2018, 01:19
I still want a Citroën DS21 ... Someday! :D

What I should have, actually, is something more like a Ford Transit ... That way, I'd have something I could carry my cameras and bicycle in. But I like driving the SLK too much.

Dear G,
if you should have a Ford Transit, I'd be happy to offer you a swap? I'd suggest, say, a six week trial period, right during the coming school summer holidays -- oh, my erm lovely children are included in that swap :D

David Hughes
05-04-2018, 01:21
The SM was very special, but the even more exotic XM of middle 1990s era was even more so. I had one of those as a hire car on one trip to the UK: it was a fantastic sedan, looked and drove as if it had come from somewhere Other Than Here.

Citroen have not distributed to the USA since about 1973. It’s a terrible shame.

Hi,

They changed the rules about headlamps on cars in the USA and the SM then became illegal; I think some were fitted with boring round headlamps but in a nutshell they stopped exporting to America.

I started with the 2CV and stopped after the rust got to my GS1220 and started buying boring cars, also the local expert retired. I'd still like a 50's Citroen and Dyane but the prices have gone through the roof here. We still see DS's and so on here. This was in a car park recently.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Second/i-6XRgTkq/0/c79398c9/O/Photo%2046612.jpg

What more can I say except that I'm jealous...

Regards, David

robert blu
05-04-2018, 02:33
https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Second/i-6XRgTkq/0/c79398c9/O/Photo%2046612.jpg[/IMG]
What more can I say except that I'm jealous...

Regards, David

Did you mention a Dyane? It was my first car, I was very proud of it, almost 50 years ago (sigh!), max speed 95 km/h with tail wind...but I still remember many journeys I went through with such a car :-) yes, I was young in that time...

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/3692/U3692I1525426059.SEQ.0.jpg

Back to the topic, the idea of the Leica a la carte is a good things if money permits it...in my case...I have ot.her priorities..

Godfrey
05-04-2018, 06:08
They changed the rules about headlamps on cars in the USA and the SM then became illegal; I think some were fitted with boring round headlamps but in a nutshell they stopped exporting to America.

Actually, with respect to headlamps: United States automobile headlamp standards were codified somewhere around 1935 and became a part of the NHTSA Federal specifications by the 1960s. Those specs, dating from the 1930s, mandated a sealed beam headlamp with 35,000 BCPS to promote consistent lighting and driver safety—which was a plus in those days given the variably terrible automotive lighting situation of that time but was woefully out of date by the 1960s. Enforcement was spotty until the 1968, but things like Citroen's advanced "turn with the steering" driving beams, self-leveling headlamps, aerodynamic headlamp covers, etc, were never actually approved; they were possible to slip in on import cars (US made cars never had them) until the 1968 to 1973 time period. Post that date, the regulations were enforced more and more stringently—I remember them being clamped down in force about 1973—until the late 1970s/early 1980s when the hue and cry of sealed beam headlamps being WOEFULLY inadequate to modern highway road speeds finally caused changed and more modern lighting standards to be adopted around the end of the 1980s/into the 1990s, allowing far more modern systems.

I don't recall SMs being modified to be without the aerodynamic covers, but they couldn't bring in the steering beams and had to use sealed beams behind the cover glass at least to meet the NHTSA standards. This was true from the beginning of the run. A travesty. But it didn't stop them from bringing the cars to the USA.

No, what stopped Citroen and many other automakers in their tracks were the new bumper and "no damage" parts of the NHTSA vehicle construction codes in the early 1970s, as well as the US specified emissions codes at that time. The stupid bumper laws added hundreds of pounds to every vehicle and caused major redesign of the chassis structure on many, even those with advanced safety designs (like all Citroens of that day). At the same time, the new emissions regulations seemed to do everything possible to emasculate every engine and destroy any hope of performance. Citroen had a small market here, having never made a big effort to support US style parts and service expectations, and just decided that the cost of development for US market distribution was simply out of the ballpark to keep up with and still be profitable.

These regulations destroyed many fine car designs until manufacturers got a handle on how to build for them a decade or so—and many billions of dollars in development—later. They've added vastly to the complexity and difficulty in servicing automobiles, never mind to the costs of running a service business.

G

dave lackey
05-04-2018, 06:13
Actually, with respect to headlamps: United States automobile headlamp standards were codified somewhere around 1935 and became a part of the NHTSA Federal specifications by the 1960s. Those specs, dating from the 1930s, mandated a sealed beam headlamp with 35,000 BCPS to promote consistent lighting and driver safety—which was a plus in those days given the variably terrible automotive lighting situation of that time but was woefully out of date by the 1960s. Enforcement was spotty until the 1968, but things like Citroen's advanced "turn with the steering" driving beams, self-leveling headlamps, aerodynamic headlamp covers, etc, were never actually approved; they were possible to slip in on import cars (US made cars never had them) until the 1968 to 1973 time period. Post that date, the regulations were enforced more and more stringently—I remember them being clamped down in force about 1973—until the late 1970s/early 1980s when the hue and cry of sealed beam headlamps being WOEFULLY inadequate to modern highway road speeds finally caused changed and more modern lighting standards to be adopted around the end of the 1980s/into the 1990s, allowing far more modern systems.

I don't recall SMs being modified to be without the aerodynamic covers, but they couldn't bring in the steering beams and had to use sealed beams behind the cover glass at least to meet the NHTSA standards. This was true from the beginning of the run. A travesty. But it didn't stop them from bringing the cars to the USA.

No, what stopped Citroen and many other automakers in their tracks were the new bumper and "no damage" parts of the NHTSA vehicle construction codes in the early 1970s, as well as the US specified emissions codes at that time. The stupid bumper laws added hundreds of pounds to every vehicle and caused major redesign of the chassis structure on many, even those with advanced safety designs (like all Citroens of that day). At the same time, the new emissions regulations seemed to do everything possible to emasculate every engine and destroy any hope of performance. Citroen had a small market here, having never made a big effort to support US style parts and service expectations, and just decided that the cost of development for US market distribution was simply out of the ballpark to keep up with and still be profitable.

These regulations destroyed many fine car designs until manufacturers got a handle on how to build for them a decade or so—and many billions of dollars in development—later. They've added vastly to the complexity and difficulty in servicing automobiles, never mind to the costs of running a service business.

G

Give me chrome any day!!! :):):)

davidnewtonguitars
05-04-2018, 06:28
Speaking of odd (in America) cars, I drove a 50's Puegeot 403 in 1970.
After driving it a while I found 4th gear by chance.
I found it quite dignified, so it wasn't for me.

dave lackey
05-04-2018, 06:29
Haha... not that one! I use Safari...,

Chrome as in rolling art (Harley Davidson, classic cars, Art Deco)... :D

It would be the "a la carte" choice for me if there was such a thing with buying a car or truck. Dreams are nice, right?

robert blu
05-04-2018, 07:19
Haha...
Dreams are nice, right?

Yes, dreams are nice and not expensive :)
robert

David Hughes
05-04-2018, 14:21

G

Thanks, very interesting.

Talking of servicing, years and years ago I got TPO's with the exotic, fast and exciting car I ran and sold it and bought the cheapest car in the paper that evening. I drove it like the old one for a week and frightened myself but it kickstarted a habit I apply to a lot of things like cars and cameras; alternate boring and then exciting ones.

As for the cheap one I kept it for about 3 years and can remember the technician at the local dealers being upset as I had the last car they serviced where they could stand and listen to it and then start work instead of plugging it into a computer and being told what part to exchange.

Regards, David

jaapv
05-05-2018, 11:11
Seems silly.

Why not extend to digital Ms and drop film bodies when availability drys up.

B2 (;->
It has been extended to digital M cameras. Leica will modify them to customers' wishes as a retrofit. O have such a Monochrom: a-la-carte leather and engraving, an M9 too, and I just sold my a-la-carte leather M240.

pyeh
05-05-2018, 15:22
Goodness Peter!! We should definitely plan a unveiling party. Perhaps you tell them you would like to pick it up at Ginza? I'll pop by!

Cheers,

Benny, I'm thinking Sydney Opera House and black tie event.
Everyone will be invited.

jonmanjiro
07-04-2018, 04:48
Photos or it didn't happen :p

pyeh
07-04-2018, 14:20
OK, so it arrived. I was very surprised at the speed - almost suspicious. The camera shop called me Tuesday morning and I picked it up that afternoon. This made it almost exactly 8 weeks from order. The camera box says it was made on 11 June 2018.
Have to say I am very pleased with the look of it. I'll be putting a roll through it soon. Excited.
I wonder how long it takes Leica's alleged one remaining tech to assemble an alc MP. Unless of course it's done in Portugal, where they might have two remaining techs.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/836/42299624895_af27924f3d_b.jpg

Edit: jonmanjiro very kindly put this picture up on my behalf.

dave lackey
07-04-2018, 14:35
OK, so it arrived. I was very surprised at the speed - almost suspicious. The camera shop called me Tuesday morning and I picked it up that afternoon. This made it almost exactly 8 weeks from order. The camera box says it was made on 11 June 2018.
Have to say I am very pleased with the look of it. I'll be putting a roll through it soon. Excited.
I wonder how long it takes Leica's alleged one remaining tech to assemble an alc MP. Unless of course it's done in Portugal, where they might have two remaining techs.

Peter,

Can't wait to see what you post!!!:)

We are envious, you know that already, right?:p

jonmanjiro
07-04-2018, 15:55
Despite the Ostrich lumps, Pete... it does look good! Very good!

pyeh
07-04-2018, 15:57
Dave, there's the picture! Dusty already.

dave lackey
07-04-2018, 16:01
Excellent!!!

I like the cover, a lot. And, yes, the lone soul who put that together did an admirable job!

Enjoy it immensely!:D

sepiareverb
07-04-2018, 17:31
Very nice. Shoot well!

pyeh
07-04-2018, 17:35
Thanks Jon, Dave and Bob. It's my first brand new film Leica. It's not not an expense I'll be repeating soon. I'm pretty happy though.
Jaymz007, please put up a picture of yours. You and I might have the last two ever made.

dave lackey
07-04-2018, 17:52
So, when is the black tie event? I might need a minute to get there.:Do

pyeh
07-04-2018, 18:51
Ah, about that... I was caught off-guard by the MP arriving in less than one year so have made no arrangements. Plus I'm too skint now after such extravagance. Might have to settle for a Coke at McDonalds. Dress code downgraded to Smart Casual. Needs must.

giganova
08-13-2018, 13:12
I bet Leica would make you any camera you want ... if you offer them enough money.

ChipMcD
08-13-2018, 15:46
I just looked at the Leica Camera website. Unless the site is lying, you can still order an a la carte MP today: https://a-la-carte-configurator.leica-camera.com/?lang=en&DEF=definitions_US

pyeh
08-13-2018, 17:21
There seems to be a lot of rumour mongering at the moment regarding the MP. Someone on Leica Forum reckons soon the only way to order an MP is via the ALC mechanism. This isn't so bad in that you can just not opt for any ALC embellishments and get the standard MP for the standard MP price, if that's what you want.
Someone else told me that he heard the ALC MP would be abandoned and only standard 0.72 MPs would be available soon, which gels with the OP.
Anyway, as I mentioned in another thread, I sent my standard 0.72 MP in to Wetzlar for modification to 0.85. I wasn't going to die wondering.

pyeh
05-27-2019, 18:48
Leica Rumors is saying the a la carte program will close down on June 7:
https://leicarumors.com/2019/05/27/the-last-chance-to-place-an-order-for-leica-a-la-carte-is-june-7th-2019.aspx/
Stephen was absolutely correct, if one year early. But I'm glad he was early because it goaded me into ordering my dream variant, and modifying my standard MP to 0.85 vf.

Archiver
05-27-2019, 23:13
No more a la carte?? Ugh. Need to get the budget up to order something. Or work out how to do it via third parties.