PDA

View Full Version : Olympus XA that I did not buy (I think it had an issue)

valdas
10-10-2017, 07:14
I had in my hands today a very nice Olympus XA (cosmetically). It was not cheap, but still quite reasonably priced considering it would be in working condition. I almost bought it, but then played with with f stop, ISO values and noticed that the exposure is always very long - a few seconds. It was dark in that flea market shop, but even if I set iso to 800, f2.8 and point to the light source the shutter still remains open for a few seconds. I did not buy, obviously. But now thinking - maybe there is something in the way this camera is operated that I did not know/notice that would cause such a long exposure and it's not broken as I thought? Any ideas?

Arbitrarium
10-10-2017, 07:26
What did the meter needle in the viewfinder do?

valdas
10-10-2017, 07:48
What did the meter needle in the viewfinder do?

Yes, good point - the needle showed the exposure value I would expect based on the light conditions, but the shutter fired differently regardless of the needle position (always long exposure even if needle was 1/500 when pointed directly to the light)...

Scapevision
10-10-2017, 10:20
regardless if there was a real problem with it or not, XA uses 2 separate meters for its viewfinder scale and actual shutter speed when picture is taken.

vagab0nd
10-10-2017, 10:45
There is a somewhat common problem where the circuit board goes bad and causes the shutter to fire long light that in any lighting conditions. A way to test is to set the camera to flash and fire. If it fires at ~1/60, then the board is bad and, from what I've read, parts are hard to come by and thus the fix is virtually impossible.

If the shutter is also long when set to flash than the issue is supposedly fixable. I believe the fix is listed in the Olympus XA repair manual that can be found the webs for free.

valdas
10-10-2017, 10:49
There is a somewhat common problem where the circuit board goes bad and causes the shutter to fire long light that in any lighting conditions. A way to test is to set the camera to flash and fire. If it fires at ~1/60, then the board is bad and, from what I've read, parts are hard to come by and thus the fix is virtually impossible.

If the shutter is also long when set to flash than the issue is supposedly fixable. I believe the fix is listed in the Olympus XA repair manual that can be found the webs for free.

Thanks - I guess I am glad I passed, I would not pay 76 EUR for a XA I would still need to fix...

f16sunshine
10-10-2017, 10:51
Find an XA3... they seem to be the most reliable at this point.
Scale focus but really pretty spot on metering.
It's probably the best XA model for longevity and daily use.
Sharp, sharp lens, Really great.

valdas
10-10-2017, 10:55
Find an XA3... they seem to be the most reliable at this point.
Scale focus but really pretty spot on metering.
It's probably the best XA model for longevity and daily use.
Sharp, sharp lens, Really great.

I had XA2 and XA3, I sold them - nice cameras, but I wanted full control over f stop and precise focusing.