PDA

View Full Version : Olympus Black M-1

inuini2005
09-01-2017, 04:50
Hi all,

I am new to this forum.
I shoot Leica M2, MP240 and enjoy the Minolta Hi Matic S.
However, my major interest is to collect Olympus M-System items, the system prior to the OM-System.

I wonder if anyone of you have heard of/seen the Olympus M-1 in black?
Do you guys have any ideas or information of it?
Also, does anybody know where they are now?
I have been looking for one for so long. If you have one for sale, please do inform me. :)

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you so much!

I am also documenting the serials of the M-1, I know there's a page called The information page of M-1 film camera by Mark Dapoz. However, I was unable to contact him and his site hasn't been updated for some time.

So, in case if you have an M-1 or M-system items, please feel free to share with me. If possible, please inform me the serials so I can add them to my spreadsheet.

Best wishes,
Wilfred

Arbitrarium
09-01-2017, 05:14
Yikes. An Oly M1 in black, you'd probably only find in Japan.

inuini2005
09-01-2017, 05:41
Yikes. An Oly M1 in black, you'd probably only find in Japan.

Do you have any information about that, mate?

Anything would be appreciated!

David Hughes
09-01-2017, 06:32
Hi,

Olympus M-1's turn up on ebay from time to time but - as I've little interest - I can't say if I've seen one in black. Mostly I notice the premium you have to pay for an older version of the OM-1.

Anyway, there's 1 or 2 on ebay at the moment, there usually are and, of course, Japan is the place to find unusual cameras in mint condition at high prices.

An Olympus FTL would be what I call the system before the OM-1 and M-1...

Regards, David

inuini2005
09-01-2017, 06:46
Hi,

Olympus M-1's turn up on ebay from time to time but - as I've little interest - I can't say if I've seen one in black. Mostly I notice the premium you have to pay for an older version of the OM-1.

Anyway, there's 1 or 2 on ebay at the moment, there usually are and, of course, Japan is the place to find unusual cameras in mint condition at high prices.

An Olympus FTL would be what I call the system before the OM-1 and M-1...

Regards, David

Thanks for replying. I currently have 4 M-1s and two of them are customized. However, I am looking for the original black paint version of it. I have seen photos of it but have no idea where they are.

Sarcophilus Harrisii
09-01-2017, 07:33
Here's one offered at some stage by Westlich
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1949297_768-olympus-m1-black-sample

Note the asking price. Are you prepared to pony up for that sort of price structure?
Some time this year, I think, I've seen a reference to the number of black M-1s that were made. Frustratingly I can't recall where. I believe the number in black might have been quite small though?

And, just because this popped up during a Google search and I'm a huge fan of hers, here's a Guardian piece about Jane Bown and her OM-1s. Apparently she started off in 35mm with a Pentax—I didn't know that. Once she went to Olympus she might have used an Automat in parallel for a bit, but she never looked back.

https://www.theguardian.com/gnmeducationcentre/jane-bown-camera-teaching-resource-gnm-archive

Maiku
09-01-2017, 08:55
Wilfred,

When I lived in Japan, I sold 12 to 15 Olympus M1s. In the 5-years, I sold cameras I never came across a Black M1.

The liveacutioneer's black Olympus M1 auction has a few issues that would worry me as a potential buyer.

1. The base plate screws are not flathead screws, but red robbie (i.e. cross screws). Olympus M1 cameras and lenses should have flat screws, if they do not then they are fake or been have replaced during a repair.

2. In addition, with the lenses mounted to the camera body potential buyers don't know if the mounting ring's screws are flathead or cross screws. If they are cross screws, I would worry the camera has been repaired and does not have its original parts.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT

3. The auctioneers have not shown the mirror box. This is important because above the mirror on the right-hand side there should be a screw. If the screw is there then you have an Olympus M1 camera. If the screw is not there then an Olympus M1 top plate has been place over an Olympus OM1 body.

This blog has two photos that illustrate my points. http://olympus.dementix.org/M-1/

Good luck trying to find the impossible.

Maiku

inuini2005
09-01-2017, 16:50
Here's one offered at some stage by Westlich
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1949297_768-olympus-m1-black-sample

Note the asking price. Are you prepared to pony up for that sort of price structure?
Some time this year, I think, I've seen a reference to the number of black M-1s that were made. Frustratingly I can't recall where. I believe the number in black might have been quite small though?

And, just because this popped up during a Google search and I'm a huge fan of hers, here's a Guardian piece about Jane Bown and her OM-1s. Apparently she started off in 35mm with a Pentax—I didn't know that. Once she went to Olympus she might have used an Automat in parallel for a bit, but she never looked back.

https://www.theguardian.com/gnmeducationcentre/jane-bown-camera-teaching-resource-gnm-archive

Thanks for replying! Yes, this is one of the set photos that I have seen. The body to me is too minty so I doubt if it's the real deal. Regarding the production number, I saw it's around 25-50. Lately a guy told me it's only 15. Also the one in the link was sold in 2006, so I wonder where the camera is now.

inuini2005
09-01-2017, 16:59
Wilfred,

When I lived in Japan, I sold 12 to 15 Olympus M1s. In the 5-years, I sold cameras I never came across a Black M1.

The liveacutioneer's black Olympus M1 auction has a few issues that would worry me as a potential buyer.

1. The base plate screws are not flathead screws, but red robbie (i.e. cross screws). Olympus M1 cameras and lenses should have flat screws, if they do not then they are fake or been have replaced during a repair.

2. In addition, with the lenses mounted to the camera body potential buyers don't know if the mounting ring's screws are flathead or cross screws. If they are cross screws, I would worry the camera has been repaired and does not have its original parts.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT

3. The auctioneers have not shown the mirror box. This is important because above the mirror on the right-hand side there should be a screw. If the screw is there then you have an Olympus M1 camera. If the screw is not there then an Olympus M1 top plate has been place over an Olympus OM1 body.

This blog has two photos that illustrate my points. http://olympus.dementix.org/M-1/

Good luck trying to find the impossible.

Maiku

Thanks Maiku! I have written a page called Zuikoholism. Please take a look at it through Google search.

Yes, I totally agree with the points you've mentioned. I have included some points to check in my webpage regarding the authenticity of an M-1.

The only point that I have a doubt is, do you mean the base plate should also have flathead screws? I have encountered like 8 to 10 M-1s, they all don't have flathead screws on the base plate. Instead, they all have flathead screws on the lens mount except one, which came in cross point screws.

According to Mark Dapoz's website, there are examples of M-1s with cross point screws on the lens mount. The wheelie on the right top corner of the mirror box is a good check. The 4 M-1s I have all have that wheelie. However, some early OM1s has that as well. What's more important is the screw on the bottom left corner of the mirror box. There should be a screw.

Another good check would be the rewind knob. Certain M-1s came with the RED LINE style rewind knob. I haven't seen that in OM1s so far.

The set, came with an M-System 55mm F1.2, it took me so long to get two copies of this version.

If you get to see a black M-1, please inform me~!

Cheers,
Wilfred

splitimageview
09-03-2017, 08:30
Should move this to the proper forum