PDA

View Full Version : XA Shutter Frustration

Arved
08-02-2017, 06:22
As I'm going through my second roll of film on my "new to me" XA, the biggest frustration has to be the shutter button. It works fine, but is so non-descript, I often have difficulty finding the shutter button without taking my eye from the finder. I'm thinking about adding one of those rubber bumpers stuck onto the back of a picture frame, just to have something tactile for the shutter button.

Any other bright ideas?

Thanks,

- Arved

Arbitrarium
08-02-2017, 06:35
You could stick something textured onto the red pad, so your finger feels the distinction between the shutter button and the rest of the camera. My first thought was a piece of felt. Bit weird, but it'd make it pretty obvious which bit is the button by feel alone.

Chubberino
08-02-2017, 06:43
Sugru is the perfect solution for this.

https://www.amazon.com/Sugru-Air-curing-Rubber-Yellow-Blue/dp/B00XTVWAWS/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1501684959&sr=1-1&keywords=sugru

Ko.Fe.
08-02-2017, 06:55
Black electrical insulation tape is the well know remedy for well know issue with XA shutter button. You could fine tune it. To me it was two layers of tape. And the good news is ... this tape is available in different colors!
Tape was on for more that one year of XA as everyday camera. And then real XA shutter frustration occurred. The shutter expose meter was dead....

Chubberino
08-02-2017, 07:02
Black electrical insulation tape is the well know remedy for well know issue with XA shutter button. You could fine tune it. To me it was two layers of tape. And the good news is ... this tape is available in different colors!
Tape was on for more that one year of XA as everyday camera. And then real XA shutter frustration occurred. The shutter expose meter was dead....

Except that isn't his issue.

Arved
08-04-2017, 09:58
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not sure how tape would make things more tactile. In the Florida heat, I'd be afraid of electrical tape's adhesive turning into a gooey mess.

I might also try one of those soft shutter release buttons attached with some (thin) double sided tape.

I just want to be able to find the shutter button easier using the braille method. LOL

Thanks for the suggestions!

- Arved

Ko.Fe.
08-04-2017, 10:21
Just don't buy this tape from dollar store.

FYI, same electrical tape is in use in the engine compartments even at some currently manufactured cars in America and temps under the hood of operating vehicle are higher than outside temps in Florida.

If it is still hard to believe in the electrical tape method most of us used and not only in cold Canada, make sure your double sticky tape isn't from the dollar store, either. Use 3M automotive tape for molding mounting.

skucera
08-11-2017, 18:51
I solved this problem many, many years ago by simply placing my right index finger on the button before I put my eye to the viewfinder. With this camera, there's no reason to move that finger off of the shutter button, so why not just put it there and leave it here. It's worked for me for more than 30 years.

Scott

Chris101
08-11-2017, 23:04
I have that issue too. But even worse is the hair trigger. While my right index finger searches for the button, invaribly I accidentally trigger the shutter. Well, to be honest, sometimes those pictures are better than the one I intended.

ACullen
08-11-2017, 23:06
I've stuck a small piece of double sided tape. It makes the shutter release lightly stickybut easily distinguishable from the rest of the top plate. Works well.

BLKRCAT
08-12-2017, 07:26
just put one of those silicone feet on it.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1OZliIXXXXXX2XVXXq6xXFXXXS/320pcs-12-6mm-self-font-b-adhesive-b-font-soft-clear-font-b-silicone-b-font.jpg

ps don't google "silicone foot"