PDA

View Full Version : Which high end bag for your Leica M kit?

noisycheese
06-24-2017, 16:05
Which of the high end (as defined by the balance between quality and price) camera satchels would you choose for your Leica M kit, and why?

Would it be -

Barber Shop
Billingham
Fogg
Leica
Oberwerth
Ona
Wotancraft

Or would it be something else?

Thanks for participating! :-)

Daryl J.
06-24-2017, 16:48
I have a black Ona Berlin II.
The extra-long strap is what did it for me as I need the length. It's been used pretty heavily and is holding up reasonably well.
2 cameras. 3 lenses. Film. Notebook. Pen. Tabletop tripod. Cable release.

Robert Lai
06-24-2017, 16:52
I primarily use the Lowepro Lumina bags. I don't think they are made any more, but they have the right depth for a Leica. Plus, they don't look very expensive (and they aren't). However, they are built very well.

Also slim, and the right size for a Leica with lens mounted and a spare lens or flash unit is the Domke F-5XB. I have an M2 with 50mm and 90mm lenses in one now.

I have Tenba, Billingham Hadley Pro, and Leica branded bags. However, these tend to be too deep. You have to dig inside them for the camera. I use these with my SLRs or medium format gear. The problem with Billingham is that the bag itself says "steal me".

Godfrey
06-24-2017, 17:21
For the Leica M, I prefer Artisan & Artist bags, or the derivative Black Label Bags that Photo Village (New York City) sells. The BLB "Oskar's One Day Bag II" is a bit trimmer and lighter than the Hadley Pro, yet holds as much and more due to being a bit more rectangularly shaped. I've been using it as my camera travel satchel since 2011. The BLB "Walker Evans II" is a bit smaller and lighter, perfect for a day kit with just two lenses (yes, you can stuff three in if you want). The equivalent ACAM and GCAM bags from A&A are also excellent and perhaps a little more easily available than the Black Label Bags.

The worst part about the BLB and A&A bag line is figuring out which bag is which ... their naming is often confusing. But the quality of the bags is very high and they are comfortable to wear and use, easy to live with, and fit the M gear very well.

G

Huss
06-24-2017, 17:30
I use Fogg and Oberwerth, but much of the time I'm taking my gear along in a Timbuk2 camera bag as it works better. It protects the gear better and you don't worry about the bag getting abused.
I hate my Ona Bowery with a passion. Piece of junk unless u like a bag that has a buckle design that smacks your camera everytime you try to take it out of the bag. I just use it for storage now.

Robert Lai
06-24-2017, 17:40
Metal buckles = AARRRGH.

They are usually strategically placed, so that every time you open the case, the buckle with scratch and dent your camera's top. If you have the camera in a different orientation, it can break the glass on your viewfinder, or scratch your lens.

I get the cases that use zippers, or at most plastic buckles.

x-ray
06-24-2017, 18:20
Also slim, and the right size for a Leica with lens mounted and a spare lens or flash unit is the Domke F-5XB. I have an M2 with 50mm and 90mm lenses in one now.

Domke certainly aren't designer bags but they're my favorite. No way I'd pay the price of the boutique bags. Same goes for straps and half cases. I'm a huge fan of Domke straps and bags.

Keith
06-24-2017, 18:30
I'm with x-ray. Bad enough being foolish enough to pay the price of a small car for a digital rangefinder without going down the next path of putting it in a stupidly expensive bag. Domke is more than adequate for my needs.

Robert Lai
06-24-2017, 18:31
That's the whole point X-ray. You don't want a bag that says "expensive, steal me!" Most people think that a Leica is just an old fashioned looking antique camera. Let them keep thinking that.

raid
06-24-2017, 18:48
I use any canvas camera bag that I happen to own. There is no need to attract attention to Leica cameras by using high end bags. I use "low end bags".

x-ray
06-24-2017, 18:54
I have bags that I've used since the 70's. They're soiled and worn and dont attract attention.

Its kind of funny how some folks want their black paint cameras worn and brassing like they came out of the trenches of Vietnam then put them in a $600 designer bag. Sorry I don't want to be in that fashion show.

besk
06-24-2017, 19:23
I just ordered a BBB-E bag for one body and two or three lenses plus the usual accessories. Not cheap in my opinion but compact and very understated.
This for travel in Eastern Europe - (on very crowded subways and buses etc.)

ktmrider
06-24-2017, 19:27
Have ordered fancy bags but always send them back. I have three Domke's including an original I purchased from Jim Domke when he was a working photographer back in the late 1970's. They work and work well.

x-ray
06-24-2017, 19:50
My only expensive bag is one I got free from an Agfa film promotion. In 1994 I used Agfapan 100 for my commercial work. I was doing a lot of fashion catalogs and ads and in the season shooting 75 or so rolls per day about 3 days a week. I kept all my film boxes and stuffed large garbage bags with them. It seems like you had to have 1000 proof of purchase and you'd get a special Domke F6 leather bag. It was super heavy but soft like glove leather and black. It had the insert in it too. I seem to remember Agfa said it was a $500 value. It's a really great bag and I still use it today. It's been all over the country on assignments and still holding up well. It'll probably outlast me.

Agfa also had Domke vests I picked up too and Fuji had premium loupes you could get for a certain number of Fujichrome proof of purchases. I got a half dozen and wound up giving bags of proof of purchases from Agfa and Fuji to friends to get their premiums. I miss the film days.

Rob-F
06-24-2017, 19:53
Ummm . . . does my Thinktank Retrospective 5 count?

Darthfeeble
06-24-2017, 21:08
Gee, and I thought the Domke bags were high end. Well for me they are.

majid
06-24-2017, 21:09
The nicest bag I have is the small Aneas for Leica. It just about fits one M and one extra lens, and features an ingenious captive sliding divider system I wish all others would copy, instead of nasty Velcro.

Wotancraft bags are also excellent. I have an Ona Berlin I and have to say I don't care much for the design or craftsmanship. You could add Killspencer, Hard Graft and dothebag for Monochrom to your list.

alan davus
06-24-2017, 21:27
I've had (and still have) Billingham and Fogg bags for years. Last year it was a toss up between an Oberwerth and Wotancraft. Would have been happy with either but Wotancraft had free shipping so bought their Ryker. It is an exceptional bag and I'm more than happy with my decision. But deep down I know I'll get an Oberwerth eventually. I didn't vote because all these companies make wonderful products.

sevres_babylone
06-24-2017, 22:16
I have the Billingham Hadley Pro, the ONA Bowery and recently bought an ONA Berlin 1 (which I haven't used enough to comment on)
I disagree with some of the opinions above. I have the black Hadley Pro which I use daily. I take it to work with me usually with one body and my GR, as well as a Macbook Air. Once it's worn, it doesn't say steal me -- it says get this guy a new bag. It doesn't look much different from many other courier bags you see. Very happy with it.
I also like the ONA Bowery (cloth version), which is what I frequently use for street shooting, or when I'm going to take pictures at music venues. As long as I remember not to put anything in the back pocket I'm not prepared to lose, I'm really happy with it. Usually, I use it to carry one body with lens and one extra lens. I also used with the E-M5 with "Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f1.4 SC"mm for a short telephoto, and the X100T.

zuiko85
06-24-2017, 23:02
Don't know about much about 'high end', I like the insulated cooler bags you can get from various low end stores. Won't pay more than $7.99 for mine! Best bang for the buck in camera bags.

michaelwj
06-24-2017, 23:48
Gee, and I thought the Domke bags were high end. Well for me they are.

I'm with you. For my money, Domke is high end luxury.

sc_rufctr
06-25-2017, 03:07
Right now I carry a Ona most days and it's great. A&A bags are on par.

The thing is though there isn't just one bag for me. It depends on what I'm doing.

sepiareverb
06-25-2017, 05:00
For the Leica M, I prefer Artisan & Artist bags... I've been using it as my camera travel satchel since 2011...

As have I, and it has held up remarkably well. Very well made with very high quality fabrics. The hardware on mine has brassed quite a lot, but there is nearly no wear to the fabrics. A Domke I carried this long before I got this bag looks a fair bit more battered- tho granted it was an F2 and carried more than this one has...

...The worst part about the BLB and A&A bag line is figuring out which bag is which ... their naming is often confusing. But the quality of the bags is very high and they are comfortable to wear and use, easy to live with, and fit the M gear very well.

G

Yes! There does seem to be overlap with different bags getting the same designation on eBay. And +1 on the comfort as well.

goamules
06-25-2017, 06:14
I prefer vintage and antique bag for my vintage and antique cameras. Just as a Leica or Canon or Nicca are such quality that cannot be made today, good leather bags like this Perrin would have cost the equivalent of $300 when new. So when I got this one for $10, I'm happy, and convinced these old saddle leather shops knew what they were doing more than current companies try to portray.

How long will a Perrin last? Well, this one was used by a lifetime photographer, it's from about 1951.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4234/34682408504_60c44981ed_z.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4218/35484619876_de2e7f48e1.jpg

I recommend you try vintage, before shopping for "high end" today.

willie_901
06-25-2017, 06:37
The Wontancraft – because their web site is salacious.

I owned a leather Ona, but it was too heavy, so I sold it. I would have ordered the canvas model but I realized I preferred a soft-sided bag over a box.

Deardorff38
06-25-2017, 06:42
I've used a bunch including Billingham. My favourites are my old Domke 803 and a very simple Slow Tools bag I got through Bellamy Hunt. Usually just an M and a couple of lenses or a Rolleiflex & a spotmeter.

Godfrey
06-25-2017, 07:49
re: A&A bags again

As have I, and it has held up remarkably well. Very well made with very high quality fabrics. The hardware on mine has brassed quite a lot, but there is nearly no wear to the fabrics. A Domke I carried this long before I got this bag looks a fair bit more battered- tho granted it was an F2 and carried more than this one has...
Yes! There does seem to be overlap with different bags getting the same designation on eBay. And +1 on the comfort as well.

The other +1 is that they don't look particularly expensive or flashy. They're actually a bit dull and nondescript. They're expensive because they're well made of high quality materials and have a lot of hand-work in their construction. I suspect they'll last at least as well as my Domke's and Billinghams that I have as well. The problem I've found with several of the less expensive bags is that they wear out relatively quickly.

G

noisycheese
06-25-2017, 07:53
I have a Billingham Hadley Pro which I use most of the time as long as I am not carrying enough stuff to cause shoulder and back pain. I can get away with carrying my M-P 240, 35/2 mounted on it, a second lightweight lens and a few accessories. A heavier load requires a day pack.

I have a Domke F803 which is about the right size for a walking around kit. Domkes are awfully good bags and their prices are well within reason IMHO. I have a Domke F802 which I don't use much for some unknown reason.

As someone else mentioned, I will pick my bag based on what I'm carrying and what I'm doing. The Bill Had Pro & the Domkes that I have are great for a day's walking around and photographing.

It's hard to beat the Billingham Hadley Pro IMHO. It is just a great bag and provides a lot of protection for my M kit. They are a little costly but are half the price of Fogg camera bags - a good balance between quality, craftsmanship, price and protection. Billinghams are high quality and nice looking without looking mega expensive like some of the more opulent leather or leather trimmed bags.

Emile de Leon
06-25-2017, 08:02
I like the smaller Billinghams..
I wish they still made the 115 kh/tan model..it was just about perfect..

aizan
06-25-2017, 08:20
has anyone ever been mugged and their cameras stolen? what kind of bag were you using? i haven't had the pleasure, and i use "fancy" bags as well as "utilitarian" bags.

Deardorff38
06-25-2017, 08:28
Darth...Domkes are high end to me too, because they are well designed, made of good materials & last very well. They're cheap too because mine have lasted more than 15 yrs without needing replacement.

goamules
06-25-2017, 08:37
Aizan, that's why I use old vintage bags. My bag above was $10, but looks expensive. If they steal it and my Nicca with a Canon lens, I'm out of less money than most people have in their cell phones. It just has class. An M I guess is a little higher, but I'm not worried about muggings. Leaving it unattended, yes.

x-ray
06-25-2017, 08:41
I wasn't suggesting Domke aren't high end. They're as good as you can get as far as quality but they're really reasonably priced. Some of the new designs are getting pricy but I e never looked at one on person.

I had a couple of Perrin heavy leather cases years ago. One was a large double decker with and the other was a smaller version with two levels too. I think the smaller one had the Leica name on it. I used them heavily for years. The large one I carried 2 F3's and 9 AI lenses. Over many years of heavy use it got so ratty I got rid of it. I can't remember what I carried in the small one or what happened to it. I'm guessing it got ratty too and got tossed. I think I got both of them in the mid 70's.

I've got quite a few cases now. I use Temba air cases for my Speedotron black line heads and Force 10 monolites and acquired a really nice one when I bought my friends Hasselblad system. I've got several Rhino heavy duty bags I carry Speedotron power packs in. When traveling on jobs I shipped my strobes in the airlines cargo hold and never had a pack or head damaged.

On jobs I carry my digital gear in Lowepro backpacks or in a Tamrac rolling case. I think it's a Tamrac or could be a Temba. It handy for two bodies and 7 or 8 lenses with batteries and goodies.

If I'm traveling by air I have several fiber tubes for tripods and stands. I've never had any damage from airline mishandling using those too. I also use quite a few rigid aluminum clad anvil type cases for strobes and cables too. Those are just too heavy for daily use though.

Bags and cases are really an important consideration especially if you're traveling. Damaged equipment is lost money and lost time.

ChrisPlatt
06-25-2017, 09:48
Famous designers should get into the camera bag racket.

Chris

robert blu
06-25-2017, 10:04
Since a few weeks I usa an On a Roma insert which I put in a "strong" normal canvas bag.
Ok for an m camera + one lens.
robert

Godfrey
06-25-2017, 10:43
I wasn't suggesting Domke aren't high end. They're as good as you can get as far as quality but they're really reasonably priced. Some of the new designs are getting pricy but I e never looked at one on person.
Bags and cases are really an important consideration especially if you're traveling. Damaged equipment is lost money and lost time.

Domke made the best bags around (in the USA!) for a long time, unless you want to pay Billingham prices, which were absurdly over the top. I have several Domkes, a couple up to 25+ years old. The problem that came up around the middle '00s when I went to look at a new F5XB is that the quality of the material and stitching isn't anywhere near as nice as on my F5XB, which I bought new somewhere around 1990 or so. They're also skimping on the material and length of the overflap now, and the price is 3x what my F5XB cost me back when, even in adjusted dollars.

I think this happened when they moved the production offshore. All of mine are old enough that they were made in the USA ... I have F5Xb, F3x, F6, and a very ancient, unnamed one I bought at a flea market with a Rolleiflex 3.5MX in it for $90 in 1983. I gave my F803 to a buddy in England a decade ago ... he's still using it. Excellent bags, all of them.

But for stuff I can buy new, now, with that old level of quality, the A&A and Billingham bags just satisfy me more.

G

ptpdprinter
06-25-2017, 11:00
I prefer the closures and the discreet logo on the Billinghams to the metal buckles and logos on the Domkes. I have the Hadley Pro and it carries two OM bodies, six lenses, and a few odd and ends. When I travel, I can either fit my ThinkPad X220 laptop between the bag and insert, or slip an iPad in the rear pocket. I wouldn't want to carry anything larger. Many of the other bags listed are leather, and are too heavy, though they do look nice in the shop window.

noisycheese
06-25-2017, 12:40
Famous designers should get into the camera bag racket.

Chris

Here you go - the Louis Vuitton N58027, only $3500 USD: https://fstoppers.com/product/louis-vuittons-delusion-photographer-results-3500-bag-8123

This monument to pretentiousness makes even a $600 Fogg camera bag look humble by comparison.

sevres_babylone
06-25-2017, 13:09
Here you go - the Louis Vuitton N58027, only $3500 USD: https://fstoppers.com/product/louis-vuittons-delusion-photographer-results-3500-bag-8123

This monument to pretentiousness makes even a $600 Fogg camera bag look humble by comparison.

That's why I had to vote for "other" :)

Godfrey
06-25-2017, 13:12

I wonder if they have it in blue? ... :bang:

G

ptpdprinter
06-25-2017, 13:21
If you carry the Hermes Edition Leica M9, you need a Hermes bag, not some old Louis Vuitton. Fortunately, a matching bag does come with the camera and lens set. I think the original price was $50,000. Since it is a collector's piece, the owner will never know if he has sensor corrosion. Ignorance is bliss.

Michael Markey
06-25-2017, 13:31
A Billingham small ,Billingham F4 and a much larger Billingham 335.

I use the small every day ,the F4 if I want to carry my Canon 70-200 and the large 335 virtually never.

I bought the 335 new 25 years ago in Bath when ,quite frankly ,I didn`t know what I was doing.

The F4 was bought used from FFordes and is rather worn but ideal for when I want to carry a larger lense but its the small which has most use .

ChrisPlatt
06-25-2017, 13:42
Long ago I vowed never to own a camera bag that costs more than what I'll put inside it.

Domke is as "high-end" as I'll go. Besides being very practical their bags are a great value.

I think this happened when they (Domke) moved the production offshore.

According to their FAQ Domke bags are still made in USA.
Every one I have purchased had the MADE IN USA American flag label sewn in.

Chris

Darthfeeble
06-25-2017, 13:55
All of mine are USA made and purchased in the last dozen years or so. I can't speak to the new models but as recently as five years ago they were.

Domke made the best bags around (in the USA!) for a long time, unless you want to pay Billingham prices, which were absurdly over the top. I have several Domkes, a couple up to 25+ years old. The problem that came up around the middle '00s when I went to look at a new F5XB is that the quality of the material and stitching isn't anywhere near as nice as on my F5XB, which I bought new somewhere around 1990 or so. They're also skimping on the material and length of the overflap now, and the price is 3x what my F5XB cost me back when, even in adjusted dollars.

I think this happened when they moved the production offshore. All of mine are old enough that they were made in the USA ... I have F5Xb, F3x, F6, and a very ancient, unnamed one I bought at a flea market with a Rolleiflex 3.5MX in it for $90 in 1983. I gave my F803 to a buddy in England a decade ago ... he's still using it. Excellent bags, all of them.

All of mine are made in the USA, they have all been purchased within the las dozen years or so. ??

But for stuff I can buy new, now, with that old level of quality, the A&A and Billingham bags just satisfy me more.

G

x-ray
06-25-2017, 14:08
I bought my wife a Domke this year and another for myself and both were marked made in USA.

traveler_101
06-25-2017, 14:15
That's why I had to vote for "other" :)

I would want a bag that says "please steal this camera; it is well worth the risk."

Rob-F
06-25-2017, 14:21
If I saw this bag for $35.00 I wouldn't buy it. It doesn't look like it has good spaces for my gear.

michaelwj
06-25-2017, 14:49
AFAIK, Domke are all still made in the USA. The only thing that changed is that they are now owned by Tiffen - for a long time I believe.

Robert Lai
06-25-2017, 15:02
I just bought my Domke a couple of months ago. It is "Made in the USA", with tags proclaiming that inside.

Godfrey
06-25-2017, 15:37
I just bought my Domke a couple of months ago. It is "Made in the USA", with tags proclaiming that inside.
... and others too...

Hmm. I could swear that when I went to buy a new F5XB, it had a non-USA origin tag on it. That was around 2008. Could have been a fake, but it was at a reputable dealer...

From http://www.tiffen.com/domke_faqs.html :
Q: Are Domke camera bags still being made in the USA?

A: Yes, Domke camera bags are still made in the USA, but they may include some components of foreign origin. Virtually all other brands of camera bags are manufactured in the Far East.

At any rate, it was obvious that the materials and stitching were not up to the same standard compared with the bags I had/have (still do) that were a decade and more older than that. And sad to me: I was used to Domkes that were right up there with Billingham in materials and assembly quality, these later bags most definitely were not.

Perhaps they've become improved again since then. No way to know since there are very few dealers nearby anymore where one can look at any bags now...

G

x-ray
06-25-2017, 18:10
Looking at the bags I bought this year I think they've made improvements over my older ones. I have one that I've used probably 15-20 years and the new ones are just as good or better.

rolfe
06-25-2017, 18:32
I have to put in a word for the Wotencraft Ryder -- the criteria in the OP was "outfit", and the Ryder will hold a decent Leica outfit in style.

Rolfe

Robert Lai
06-25-2017, 20:43
The problem with the all leather bags is that they need so much maintenance. They will get scuffed up. The edges will start to lose their color. You have to clean and condition the leather periodically. Otherwise, it can dry up and crack. Also, in humid environments, it can become a fungus farm. I have a Coach leather briefcase that I use daily, and have used for more than 10 years. However, in that time I've had to strip the finish and redye it back to black. The edges especially, get worn and the color is removed. After the dyeing, the leather has to be reconditioned, and then polished. It's labor intensive.

For those reasons, I much prefer a canvas or ballistic nylon bag.

peterm1
06-25-2017, 20:50
My vote goes to Billingham. They just LOOK the part. There may be bags that are more protective in harsh conditions but for everyday use they are comfortable to carry because they are soft and they just look damned good. If you want to own a Leica its most likely in part because you like the classy and classic gear they represent. Billingham is both classy and classic. Having said that, if travelling I would never check my Billingham into checked baggage to travel in a plane's hold. Apart from the fact that it is likely to get pinched it would not give the protection needed when thrown around by baggage handlers.

back alley
06-25-2017, 20:54
i mostly use the domke f6...it holds 3 cameras with lenses attached...and the tenba cooper 13 slim...it holds the same plus has a space for my iPad pro 12"...

John Lawrence
06-26-2017, 05:33
Always used Billingham bags in the past, but having recently acquired a Fogg b-laika have used nothing but that. Both are great, and having a bag that's made of waterproof (as opposed to water resistant) fabric is important to me.

John

ChrisPlatt
06-26-2017, 07:33
If Coach made camera bags - real camera bags - I might bite.
It would be for my wife, of course... ;)

Chris

tajart
06-26-2017, 09:16
when i got a real camera bag, i bought a tenba for about $10, new. it would hold 500c blad, 2f, gossen meter, gray card, sketchbook, and later i could squeeze an m3 when travelling. i still have that bag, but graduated to billingham, and now have a couple foggs.
i gifted my grandson a bag from m-classic. lately i've started using my wife's hand me down marimekko shoulder bags which fit me well. considering adding an insert, but we'll see.
i often wonder if carrying too much weight over the shoulder compounds back problems.
all in all, there are a lot of good choices available.

noisycheese
06-26-2017, 12:59
I wonder if they have it in blue? ... :bang:

G

If so, it's probably $7000 USD.

benmacphoto
06-26-2017, 14:05
For what it's worth, the "new" line of Domke bags no longer feature the flag and made in USA.

The classic line of bags still have the made in USA inside the bag.

alan davus
06-26-2017, 21:59
The problem with the all leather bags is that they need so much maintenance. They will get scuffed up. The edges will start to lose their color. You have to clean and condition the leather periodically. Otherwise, it can dry up and crack. Also, in humid environments, it can become a fungus farm. I have a Coach leather briefcase that I use daily, and have used for more than 10 years. However, in that time I've had to strip the finish and redye it back to black. The edges especially, get worn and the color is removed. After the dyeing, the leather has to be reconditioned, and then polished. It's labor intensive.

For those reasons, I much prefer a canvas or ballistic nylon bag.

MMM....My wife has had a swag of leather handbags for donkeys years and they are all as good as the day they were bought. Never seen any conditioning, special treatment etc. So what, are camera bag manufacturers using the wrong type of leather? My Wotancraft "Ryker" looks like it's up for the long haul, but I guess only time will tell.

kaiwasoyokaze
06-27-2017, 01:54
I use a ONA for my camera bag until the brass lugs wore out on the straps (i travel hard). I emailed them asking where I could buy a replacement and they just sent me one for free! Highly recommended due to this.

Dogman
06-27-2017, 07:07
My vote goes to Billingham. I bought my first, a Hadley Pro, to carry a pair of Leica M6's. At the time I just liked the way it looked. Over the years, I came to love it for its sturdy build, durable materials and the reliable protection it provided. I also still like the way it looks. The Leica M6's are both long gone but the Billingham is still with me and still in use today with various Fuji cameras.

I've had a few flings with various Domke, Lowepro and Think Tank models but I keep coming back to Billingham. In addition to the original Hadley Pro, today I also have an L2 and an F-Stop 1.4.

Godfrey
06-27-2017, 07:23
I also have a Billingham L2 ... It's the bag my Leica SL fitted with a couple of R lenses lives in. Just an excellent bag and very versatile for a modest sized kit.

G

sjauch
06-30-2017, 08:13
100% Domke. I have a hard time justifying spending more for something that does the same.

However, there is one leather bag maker that has some very interesting stuff. I'd like to see it in person some day but doubt it will be because I buy one.
http://channelmodern.com/

ktmrider
06-30-2017, 12:10
Yes, carrying a lot of camera gear in a shoulder bag contributes to back problems. I used to carry a couple motorized Nikon F's, 4-5 lenses, an electronic flash and other accessories when I was a working photographer back in the 1970's. I was 20 years old and my back hurt.

Once I quit carrying that stuff the back pain went away (even though I was at OCS in the Marines and later infantry school which had us carrying lots of stuff when on field maneuvers).

I have several friends who still shoot for magazines like NATIONAL GEO and they still complain of back problems (and they are no longer in their 20's or even 50's for that matter).

I guess it is a great argument for a Leica M and one or two lenses or even a point and shoot.

Huss
06-30-2017, 13:53
I guess it is a great argument for a Leica M and one or two lenses or even a point and shoot.

Leica Ms may be compact but they are not light weight.

Dogman
06-30-2017, 14:23
Yes, carrying a lot of camera gear in a shoulder bag contributes to back problems. I used to carry a couple motorized Nikon F's, 4-5 lenses, an electronic flash and other accessories when I was a working photographer back in the 1970's. I was 20 years old and my back hurt....

Same here. Now getting close to 70 I can tell you all about things like cervical spondylosis, herniated lumbar discs and lumbar spinal stenosis.

I've learned too late about lightening the load.

back alley
06-30-2017, 14:28
my favourite bag used to hold 3 bodies and 3 lenses plus all kinds of stuff.
lately it holds one body and 2 smaller lenses and my hips say stop after a block or so of walking...

CSG123
07-01-2017, 09:48
I bought a Billingham Hadley for either my Leica M4 or Fuji X-Pro 1 but I don't carry it with me, rather, I use it to transport gear in my vehicle and then grab what I want to take.

Spicy
07-01-2017, 12:17
Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice bag for a single film M and maybe two or three extra rolls of film?

I read through the thread and think a lot of people are missing the point -- reasonably priced functional bags are great, but they don't always fit. My Domke F803 has served me well, but I can't bring around my Indiana Jones corners-worn-away adventure bag to somewhere that requires a suit.

Not looking for a "high end camera bag" (so Ona/Billingham are out), I'm looking for a high-end bag that can accommodate a camera on occasion. Something that's usually going to be business-formal/dinner-party appropriate, and carrying the essentials (accommodating enough for an iPad, notebook/documents).

Any suggestions for a bag and an insert, not necessarily from the same company?

ktmrider
07-01-2017, 13:34
I have been very happy with a Bare Bones Bag for a Leica body and say two lenses. It is very understated, fits the contours of the body well and just seems to work. Am not sure they are still made by same individual but know they are available, perhaps by the manufacturer.

Savid
07-01-2017, 13:49
I voted Ona. But I'll be honest and say that it in part has to do with looks and personal style ;)

I work in a rather big international company where the dress-code is (unfortunately) not optional. Furthermore, I prefer to (always) have my camera on me - and in my opinion most dedicated camera bags look a little to much the part (and I might get fired for carrying a Domke). However, I find that Ona bags are okay to carry to work with a computer, a few docs and my camera, and still have a little extra room for film and whatever.

Kindly,
D

Bill Clark
07-01-2017, 14:28
My recommendation, have a camera bag that's cheap, letting others think you have cheap inside. Expensive usually means expensive inside. Wearing nice looking new name brand tennis, jeans and a sweatshirt with mumbo jumbo on it means I'm a tourist and my wallet and camera is yours for the taking.

A lady pro visiting at a meeting said when she gies to large cities, she puts her camera bag in a brown old grocery bag. Hasn't had a problem but ....

ptpdprinter
07-01-2017, 14:31
My recommendation, have a camera bag that's cheap, letting others think you have cheap inside. Expensive usually means expensive inside.

A lady pro visiting at a meeting said when she gies to large cities, she puts her camera bag in a brown old grocery bag. Hasn't had a problem but ....
And we all know that the bottom never falls out of old brown grocery bags.

Bill Clark
07-01-2017, 14:34
Well, you could try cloth bags. I have a few I use when I go grocery shopping.

Whatever.

Dogman
07-01-2017, 15:08
Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice bag for a single film M and maybe two or three extra rolls of film?

I read through the thread and think a lot of people are missing the point -- reasonably priced functional bags are great, but they don't always fit. My Domke F803 has served me well, but I can't bring around my Indiana Jones corners-worn-away adventure bag to somewhere that requires a suit.

Not looking for a "high end camera bag" (so Ona/Billingham are out), I'm looking for a high-end bag that can accommodate a camera on occasion. Something that's usually going to be business-formal/dinner-party appropriate, and carrying the essentials (accommodating enough for an iPad, notebook/documents).

I know you said Billingham is out but, really, if you want a high end bag you gotta consider it's also gonna be high end price-wise. But it doesn't have to be extravagant.

So...Billingham L2. Or Billingham S2 (maybe). (I know an iPad will fit in the L2 but I'm not sure about the S2.)

For a couple of hundred bucks and considering the quality construction and materials, the L2 will seem like a bargain after a couple of decades of use.

goamules
07-01-2017, 16:44
Asking "what High End bag should I use" is like asking what Gucci or Coach purse a woman should buy. Expensive brands are expensive because they are ....brands. If the goal is to have "High Cost" just buy whatever is most expensive. To me, it's vulgar to put a $300 rangefinder kit into a $600 bag.

Saul
07-01-2017, 18:26

Problem with that approach is when someone notices your not-so-cheap-camera after it comes out of the cheap bag.

DanskDynamit
07-02-2017, 00:30
I use a 10€ black fake leather unbranded waist bag. As High end as I like.

Contarama
07-02-2017, 02:55
If you carry the Hermes Edition Leica M9, you need a Hermes bag, not some old Louis Vuitton. Fortunately, a matching bag does come with the camera and lens set. I think the original price was $50,000. Since it is a collector's piece, the owner will never know if he has sensor corrosion. Ignorance is bliss.

https://youtu.be/LAfSfnykXfo

Fraser
07-02-2017, 04:06
none, when I'm using my M9 I either just go out with one lens (35mm) or if I do take another lens a 50 or a 90 it goes in my pocket, same thing with my Df standard zoom on the camera or maybe a 50 or 35 and 180mm in my back pocket.
Even when I'm working I don't carry a camera bag two dslr bodies wide zoom, tele zoom and a 300 on my shoulder.
Good luck with your choice.

robert blu
07-02-2017, 04:21
I voted Ona. But I'll be honest and say that it in part has to do with looks and personal style ;)

I work in a rather big international company where the dress-code is (unfortunately) not optional. Furthermore, I prefer to (always) have my camera on me - and in my opinion most dedicated camera bags look a little to much the part (and I might get fired for carrying a Domke). However, I find that Ona bags are okay to carry to work with a computer, a few docs and my camera, and still have a little extra room for film and whatever.

Kindly,
D

First welcome Savid to RFF !
I'm not much interested in an "high end" bag for my camera as I already said but I understand there can be moments because of business or other circumstances when someone would like to have a camera and a formal dressing is required, therefore the need for something appropriate and not looking too casual.
robert

dave lackey
07-02-2017, 04:29
First welcome Savid to RFF !
I'm not much interested in an "high end" bag for my camera as I already said but I understand there there can be moments because of business or other circumstances when someone would like to have a camera and a formal dressing is required, therefore the need for something appropriate and not looking too casual.
robert

What he said!!!^^^:)

ChrisPlatt
07-02-2017, 08:16
Sorry, no camera bag looks good with formal attire, pricey and leather embellishments or not.

Chris

Spicy
07-02-2017, 15:44
Sorry, no camera bag looks good with formal attire, pricey and leather embellishments or not.

Chris

Right, which is why I'm looking for a nice bag that can accommodate a camera, and explicitly explained I am not looking for a camera bag (which is why Ona and Billingsham are out).

Basically if someone had a suit & tie dinner party but wanted to bring an M4 or M6 with them to go shooting afterwards, what bag would the discerning bachelor select? Or put another way, Henri Cartier Bresson was invited to have afternoon tea with the Queen of England, but HAD to bring his iPad, a letter/A4-sized notebook, and his M3 with a small lens attached because he was immediately leaving for dinner and drinks at a jazz bar in Paris. What bag should be recommended to him?

I appreciate that the "get a cheap bag so people don't steal it" answers have their place, but that is as willfully unhelpful as posting pictures of cats in halloween costumes on an astrophysics forum. No ballistic nylon, waxed canvas, velcro, denim, etc. That is not what I'm looking for.

This is a form exercise, not a functional one. Basically no cheaper than $300 and no more than $1500. Black and/or brown leather, probably a slim, soft briefcase-style.

besk
07-02-2017, 15:57
Suggestion: Have one made to order. Have a bag similar in appearance to a courier bag but smaller made from SOFT black leather. No visible adornments or buckles etc/
It would not be worn across the shoulder.

It would be just large enough for a small camera and extra lens. It would suit your requirements as well as if not better than any suggested. It wouldn't draw undue attention yet would be very functional.

Earlier I mentioned a BBB-evolution bag but it is black nylon.

x-ray
07-02-2017, 16:17
Right, which is why I'm looking for a nice bag that can accommodate a camera, and explicitly explained I am not looking for a camera bag (which is why Ona and Billingsham are out).

Basically if someone had a suit & tie dinner party but wanted to bring an M4 or M6 with them to go shooting afterwards, what bag would the discerning bachelor select? Or put another way, Henri Cartier Bresson was invited to have afternoon tea with the Queen of England, but HAD to bring his iPad, a letter/A4-sized notebook, and his M3 with a small lens attached because he was immediately leaving for dinner and drinks at a jazz bar in Paris. What bag should be recommended to him?

I appreciate that the "get a cheap bag so people don't steal it" answers have their place, but that is as willfully unhelpful as posting pictures of cats in halloween costumes on an astrophysics forum. No ballistic nylon, waxed canvas, velcro, denim, etc. That is not what I'm looking for.

This is a form exercise, not a functional one. Basically no cheaper than $300 and no more than $1500. Black and/or brown leather, probably a slim, soft briefcase-style.

I went back several times and read the OPs posts and nowhere did he mention formal attire or business dress for that matter. Perhaps that's was on your mind but many of us were addressing the OPs posts.

noisycheese
07-03-2017, 21:17
Asking "what High End bag should I use" is like asking what Gucci or Coach purse a woman should buy. Expensive brands are expensive because they are ....brands. If the goal is to have "High Cost" just buy whatever is most expensive. To me, it's vulgar to put a $300 rangefinder kit into a $600 bag.

The original question was about which high end camera bag people would choose for their Leica M kit - not for a couple of Zorki cameras. :rolleyes:

Since an M camera and 2-3 M lenses can easily represent an investment of $10,000+ it seems within reason to spend $200-300 or maybe more on a quality camera bag that will provide a high level of protection for your M kit.

Vince Lupo
07-04-2017, 03:26

I have a small bag by Longchamp, and it can accommodate a Leica body with a lens attached plus one other lens. It also has a couple of small zippered pockets on the outside that I use for filters, plus the backside has a snap pocket for postcards or a map. It's not padded but I really don't worry about it (sometimes I will store the spare lens in a padded pouch in the bag). If you look under 'cross body bags' in the men's section you'll find more or less what it is (it's something like the 'Cavalier' model). Definitely does not scream 'camera bag' and they look nice. They have other options if you want something larger as well, might be worth a look:

http://us.longchamp.com/products/men

If you're near Central Valley, NY (just north of NYC) anytime, there is a high-end outlet mall and there is a Longchamp store there. I got mine for less than 1/2 price there. There is also a store at 990 I St NW in DC. Might be worth dropping in and seeing if any of the bags would work for you.

Phil_F_NM
07-04-2017, 18:33
Camera on my shoulder and a pocket for any extra film I might want along.

Phil Forrest

mdarnton
07-04-2017, 18:54
I have always carried all camera gear in a crummy book bag that doesn't beg to be stolen like the ones in the list, so I vote "no".

However: http://jokes.cc.com/funny-animal/fwko9c/bear-on-a-rampage
So keep carrying those expensive bags! :-)

Gregm61
07-04-2017, 20:50
Fogg B Minor and the Leica Combination bag made by Billingham. Either of those in all black like the ones I have look no more expensive than most any other bag I have from Think Tank or Domke.

Some of the other colors available for the Fogg series can start looking more snazzy than I care for in terms of being "seen", like the dark green with brown leather.

Spicy
07-04-2017, 21:44
I have a small bag by Longchamp, and it can accommodate a Leica body with a lens attached plus one other lens. It also has a couple of small zippered pockets on the outside that I use for filters, plus the backside has a snap pocket for postcards or a map. It's not padded but I really don't worry about it (sometimes I will store the spare lens in a padded pouch in the bag). If you look under 'cross body bags' in the men's section you'll find more or less what it is (it's something like the 'Cavalier' model). Definitely does not scream 'camera bag' and they look nice. They have other options if you want something larger as well, might be worth a look:

http://us.longchamp.com/products/men

If you're near Central Valley, NY (just north of NYC) anytime, there is a high-end outlet mall and there is a Longchamp store there. I got mine for less than 1/2 price there. There is also a store at 990 I St NW in DC. Might be worth dropping in and seeing if any of the bags would work for you.

Ah, that looks excellent -- very much in the vein of what I'm hunting for. I'll have to give the website a look, as there seem like a lot of options, and ought to be able to swing by the I St store later on this week.

Many appreciations.

PKR
07-04-2017, 22:07
Camera on my shoulder and a pocket for any extra film I might want along.

Phil Forrest

Exactly..

I had a big city symphony orchestra as a client. I had to dress well when photographing during performances. One M with a 35 on my shoulder, a 50 and film in my coat pockets.

I metered days in advance during rehearsals and knew the hall light, so, no meter.

Never a problem.

I can't believe so much is being made over camera bags.

I've carried my cameras in paper bags, ice coolers, etc. I never thought about making a fashion statement.

michaelwj
07-05-2017, 00:11

C'mon!

Camera bags are perfect because;
1) There is no objective best
2) There is no subjective best
3) They are not too expensive so you can buy lots
4) There are lots to buy
5) You can match them to your outfit
6) You can match them to the days activities

Therefore, we can discuss them forever and never reach a conclusion :D

LKSC
07-05-2017, 01:18
Some years ago Fogg made a non-camera bag called the Jazz that was nevertheless padded to take a camera.
http://web.archive.org/web/20120402221327/http://www.foggspecialistbags.com:80/jazz.htm

noisycheese
07-05-2017, 07:01
Originally Posted by PKR http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/themes/graphite/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2737378#post2737378)

C'mon!

Camera bags are perfect because;
1) There is no objective best
2) There is no subjective best
3) They are not too expensive so you can buy lots
4) There are lots to buy
5) You can match them to your outfit
6) You can match them to the days activities

Therefore, we can discuss them forever and never reach a conclusion :D

I find it odd that the question I posed has been such a source of inflammation for some posters; at the end of the day, a camera bag is just a camera bag...

John Lawrence
07-05-2017, 07:06
I find it odd that the question I posed has been such a source of inflammation for some posters; at the end of the day, a camera bag is just a camera bag...

... that's heresy round these parts :D

John

ptpdprinter
07-05-2017, 07:24
a camera bag is just a camera bag...
And sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Other times, not so much.

PKR
07-05-2017, 15:52

"Leica Lifestyle"

"Lifestyle & Leisure, A new way of looking at life"

"When you encounter Lifestyle & Leisure products from Leica, you experience a whole new attitude towards life."

http://leicastoresoho.com/accessories/leica-lifestyle/

I can't be any clearer.

I read Italian Vogue for work. All fashion designers will tell you, "It pays to accessorize".

Archiver
07-06-2017, 02:27
I wish I could say I use a high end bag for my Leica, as I love bags and especially well made ones. But the more well made bags also tend to be heavy before you put anything inside them. The Wotancraft Ryker is lovely (I've held one) but all that leather and brass makes it heavy from the get-go. I have a great couple of messengers from Cote et Ciel but they are a complete clothfest. Even the Billingham Hadley Pro, which I imagined would be a forever bag, dug into my shoulder over time, and now it sits in the shelf with about six other bags.

Another issue with all these high end bags is the use of flaps for the main compartment. Sorry to all the messenger bag lovers, but I think flap bags need to die. Hauling some huge flap of leather or cloth across each time you want to access or secure your gear is ludicrous. And the leather bags with zips tend to use sharp metal ones which scratch gear.

So, my Leica is protected by either a Thinkttank Urban Disguise or a Crumpler Dry Red boarding bag with a single Billingham divider to provide padding for the bottom. I prefer the Dry Red boarding bag these days because it is extremely light while remaining strong enough to hold a Leica and a lens or two. Crumpler and Thinktank use very high quality zips that are coated with plastic and have no sharp bits at all.

Darthfeeble
07-06-2017, 07:02
After a ten year or so search for the "perfect" bag, I've given up and gone to a belly bag for a few lenses and an extra battery. Around the waist or even over the shoulder, they are easier to get into and way more comfortable.

Godfrey
07-06-2017, 07:38
...Another issue with all these high end bags is the use of flaps for the main compartment. Sorry to all the messenger bag lovers, but I think flap bags need to die. Hauling some huge flap of leather or cloth across each time you want to access or secure your gear is ludicrous. And the leather bags with zips tend to use sharp metal ones which scratch gear. ...

A&A bags with an overflap are easy to use: when you're shooting, just flip the overflap next to your body and you have a nice, big opening to reach through. With the ones I have, when you have your camera out and are walking doing your shooting, you can use the bag's internal strap and latch closure to allow access to only the front pockets while protecting the rest of the main compartment. Great for working with a hand-held meter!

And the ones without an overflap use a high-quality YKK plastic zipper; on these, when you're shooting, just fold the flaps of the top closure inside the bag so they are not in the way when moving gear in and out of the bag.

G

Darthfeeble
07-06-2017, 08:12
Godfrey, I went to the A&A site and the AACAM (?) bag is just like the Samsonite overnight bag I use for my DSLR kit. Came free with a large piece of luggage. No flap, lots of room. I stuck an insert from some cheap messenger bag in it and it is perfect for my needs.

Archiver
07-06-2017, 19:19
After a ten year or so search for the "perfect" bag, I've given up and gone to a belly bag for a few lenses and an extra battery. Around the waist or even over the shoulder, they are easier to get into and way more comfortable.

I've just bought a Crumpler waist pack from the now-discontinued LLA range for this purpose. Originally intending it to hold a few micro four thirds lenses while remaining mobile, it has shown itself useful as a general purpose bag that can contain a couple of M lenses as well as a wallet, etc. It is a little large for everyday wear around the waist as it looks like a gigantic codpiece, but it works well across the body. The inside is lined with very soft microfibre fabric, too.

majid
07-12-2017, 17:37

Basically if someone had a suit & tie dinner party but wanted to bring an M4 or M6 with them to go shooting afterwards, what bag would the discerning bachelor select?

If you are wearing a suit, that rules out shoulder bags.

Or put another way, Henri Cartier Bresson was invited to have afternoon tea with the Queen of England, but HAD to bring his iPad, a letter/A4-sized notebook, and his M3 with a small lens attached because he was immediately leaving for dinner and drinks at a jazz bar in Paris. What bag should be recommended to him?

HCB would simply have borrowed Liz' M3, or perhaps settled for her M6.

This is probably what you need:
https://killspencer.com/products/precision-pocket-modular-camera-bag
alternatively get the Wotancraft Ryker with the optional grab handle:
https://www.wotancraft.com/product/ryker-brown
https://www.wotancraft.com/product/leather-grab-handle

Thicker briefcases like the Ghurka Satchel would work combined with a camera insert. Towards the upper end of your budget, you could have a custom briefcase done by Glaser Designs with the inner storage dividers for the camera.

noisycheese
07-12-2017, 20:47
Here we go: https://www.ghurka.com/rangefinder-no-57-khaki-twill-camera-bag

Makes even Fogg's camera satchels look like a bargain by comparison.

sevres_babylone
07-12-2017, 23:44
Here we go: https://www.ghurka.com/rangefinder-no-57-khaki-twill-camera-bag

Makes even Fogg's camera satchels look like a bargain by comparison.

"As one of our first and most iconic lifestyle accessories, the Rangefinder No. 57 has held a core place in our collection for over forty years."
At that price it still might there in another forty years:)

ChrisPlatt
07-13-2017, 14:52
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mil-Spec-Ammo-Can/1611284.uts (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mil-Spec-Ammo-Can/1611284.uts)

Note the smaller 30mm size is currently on sale.

Chris

creenus
07-13-2017, 17:32
I have nothing against high-end bags, but I'm happy with Domke.

But I can be REALLY cheap.

I carry my M2, Version 3 50mm Summicron and DigiSix in a Blue Q zippered pencil bag made of recycled plastic. No padding whatever but I carry it inside a Land's End canvas briefcase with someone else's monogram on it. Why a different monogram? Because I bought the bag used. =)

As Homer Simpson says, "There's nothing too cheap for my family!"

Darthfeeble
07-13-2017, 18:31
I have nothing against high-end bags, but I'm happy with Domke.

But I can be REALLY cheap.

I carry my M2, Version 3 50mm Summicron and DigiSix in a Blue Q zippered pencil bag made of recycled plastic. No padding whatever but I carry it inside a Land's End canvas briefcase with someone else's monogram on it. Why a different monogram? Because I bought the bag used. =)

As Homer Simpson says, "There's nothing too cheap for my family!"

We might be related, every thing in my bag is used stuff, even the bag. Even my wife has been married before......

back alley
07-13-2017, 19:32
...Even my wife has been married before......

lol! great line!!

noisycheese
07-13-2017, 20:39
We might be related, every thing in my bag is used stuff, even the bag. Even my wife has been married before......

Ah - a gray market model priced at significant savings... :D

creenus
07-14-2017, 12:22

Haha! Distant cousins, maybe. Even my Domkes are used!

Roger Hicks
07-14-2017, 12:59
In the days when I pretended to be an accountant, 40+ years ago, I used a Polish leather hunting bag when wearing a 3-piece suit with watch, barometer and chains in the waistcoat pockets. Wear anything with sufficient confidence and people think it looks good.

See http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/152650-the-monks-of-cool-whose-tiny-and-exclusive-monastery-is

Cheers,

R.

Huss
07-14-2017, 13:49
My Fogg B Sharp, used for 5+ years, looks severely 'patina-ed'
You wouldn't think it was pricey bag looking at it now. My point? Even if you get a fancy bag, if you actually use it, it will not look very fancy after a while.

gilpen123
07-14-2017, 16:53
Tumi Bags ..... https://intl.tumi.com/c/bag/messenger-bags

music_healing
07-14-2017, 18:17
I ve done some official documentation on some formal Theatrical Play .. also my country biggest film festival ... some high end party with some of the legend artist and celebrity in my country ...

even make 2 official book of the festival

funnily ... I keep using my Retro 5 Black ... fill with 1 Leica and 1 lens plus 1 Rolleiflex ... pentax spot strapped on my waist .. film in the bag

that suits me the best while shooting ...

I have some thinktank.. retro6-7 and signature.. also standard hadley small black ... then buying Ona and DotheBag

but when I am seriously doing a paid job ... even most expensive one... Those bags stay at home..
Retro5 (or 7 if I m outdoor doing prewed) ... on duty

other expensive bags used in photography society gathering ... when photographers bragging on their tools and bags

maybe thats just me
that strong small economic retro 5 has been my primary bag for 6 years ... along with other showcase expensive bags.. at home

from all my "expensive high end" bags
i would highly reccomend DoTheBag
even more than Billingham or Ona

Sincerely
William Jusuf

Archiver
07-14-2017, 22:59
For a bag that fits well with a suit, and can be used in a dressy situation, perhaps consider a neat leather bag from a higher end company like Bally, Burberry, Longchamp as mentioned before, or even Louis Vuitton. A charcoal LV bag in the Damier check pattern is less conspicuous than the usual ELLL VEEE repeated monogram and doesn't look at all like a camera bag.

In this vein, any neat and dark leather bag which looks sufficiently good can be used for this purpose. If you want to spend a bit of money, get a competent leatherworker to make a customized bag for you, something that looks the part but has enough room for your M and a couple of lenses.

My criteria for such a bag are:

- sufficient room for camera, two lenses, wallet and keys
- high quality zips with soft edges
- at least two or three sealable pockets
- wide strap to relieve shoulder pressure, preferably soft nylon and not leather
- black or very dark brown leather
- soft enough to mold to the body, but not soft enough to deform under the weight of a cloth-wrapped M
- just big enough for the above items, but no larger. Bigger bags are more cumbersome and less stylish with a suit, unless it's a structured valise/briefcase type.

If the design is stylish enough, it doesn't have to be leather, either. Tumi have the occasional nylon model that would look good with a suit.

back alley
07-15-2017, 12:07
i think the tenba cooper bags would look good with a suit...

Contarama
07-15-2017, 12:33

That is what I do. Mine is a duck hunter's call bag. I modified the strap making it longer. Being in the car upholstery profession someday I am going to replicate said call bag in German canvas convertible top material. Then my bag will be perfect and high end. :D

Talus
07-16-2017, 08:03
I'm still searching for the perfect camera bag. So far my best option has been to use a messenger bag and line the bottom with a t-shirt for padding. When I'm out, I carry spare film, a pens, a small notebook, earbuds, and usually a bottle of water. Sometimes I'll bring an extra lens. When it's colder I'll stuff a light sweater into the bag too. My current messenger can swallow all of that and keep a good shape. I can't stand boxy bags and usually the dividers in camera bags don't allow me to carry these things.

giganova
08-01-2017, 07:12
I have a Domke F2 bag that is the worst thing I have ever seen. You need two hands to open the metals clasps (!), the canvas is paper thin and offers no protection whatsoever, and if you want it to be a little rain proof, you need to wax it, which makes all your gear grease. I'm sorry, but Domke is stuck in the 70s and I find their bags absolutely terrible.

Right now I am using an Ona bag and a leather bag that I bought on Amazon. both are absolutely fantastic! For extensive travel, when my gear is being kicked around a lot, I use a Thintank Retrospective which offers great protection. I also love the huge velcro patch and the fact that you can silence the velcro.

Both Ona and Thinktank are putting a lot of thoughts into their bags, which I really appreciate.

Lux Optima
08-01-2017, 07:34
I use an old Domke that is 100% water proof and is already very rugged. Looks fantastic with a new Monochrom and even better with an old M3.

I wax my Domke properly since a couple of years and I had never any problems with stains or greasy gear. Now and then I look for a more modern and fashionable bag but never found one that is so perfect for my camera and me.

leicapixie
08-01-2017, 07:35
A bag is all that's needed to carry a Leica or any camera.
Seeing how almost everyone here is paranoid about showing Leica Logos,
Goodness knows why an expensive looking bag.
I use inexpensive backpacks like kids at school.
Great when shopping.
Veggies and fruit go in first, Leica on top!

jaapv
08-01-2017, 09:45
Billingham for Leica

noisycheese
10-13-2017, 11:56
The poll shows that Billingham blows all other bags out of the water by a large margin.

That's comes as no surprise. Billingham provides outstanding quality and craftsmanship at prices that are well within reason, all things considered.

d_c
10-13-2017, 12:11
I have one of the Domke camera satchels for general use - nice and stealthy as it doesn't really look like a camera bag, has some space for extra stuff, and a continuous non-slip strap that goes all the way around the bag without any kind of clasp to fail. For family gatherings and small events I'll take one of the small Hadley digital bags.

lxmike
10-13-2017, 12:34
Billingham Hadley holds my leica and fuji gear no problem

brennanphotoguy
10-13-2017, 12:44
I always think I want to get a new bag. Then I don't. My Domke F3XB is great. The only thing I really need/want is a slightly larger bag for weddings like the F2 so I can fit all my stuff in one bag and just keep it the entire day without needing another bag or pouch for film and using my pockets for lenses (sometimes).

narsuitus
10-13-2017, 18:56
When I shoot upscale venues, I usually put two X-Pro1 bodies with three lenses (23mm f/1.4, 16mm f/1.4, and 56mm f/1.2) or one Leica M6 body with three lenses (35mm f/1.4, 21mm f/1.4, and 90mm f/2) in a leather messenger bag.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1614/26353917212_f260bc3e8c_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/G9NHqY)
Messenger Bag (https://flic.kr/p/G9NHqY) by Narsuitus (https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/), on Flickr

Cyriljay
10-22-2017, 16:26
I have a Billingham Hadley for my M cameras.and a bigger one for a general bag. They are not high-end but highly durable. I bought my camera Bag during 1998 and, still they are in good shapes and look unused. That's why I got them.

Ronald M
10-22-2017, 16:36
I use any canvas camera bag that I happen to own. There is no need to attract attention to Leica cameras by using high end bags. I use "low end bags".

Large tenba tool kit, commercial inserts, and overnight bag.

Do not dress well when carrying $20,000+ in camera gear.

raid
10-22-2017, 16:39
I love my $30 canvas camera bag. It is very functional. I include in it a couple of trash bags for rain cover should it start to pour rain suddenly.

ellisson
10-22-2017, 16:44
I use the Wotancraft Easy Rider bag (canvas version) for versatility. It can be expanded when extra room is needed, and it can be carried as a shoulder bag or sling/backpack. It fits my Leica M kit (compressed) or Leica R8 and 80-200 vario-elmar plus other lenses when expanded.

agoglanian
10-23-2017, 21:24
I have tried a lot (and I do mean A LOT) of camera bags over the years. Most have some features I enjoy and others that irritate me. I was a fan of the older Domke bags but I do agree that the newer ones just aren’t made to the same quality (the same can be said of their straps as well). It utilmately has now kept me away from their bags, which is disappointing as they are the classic understated bag.

I tend to favor my Filson messenger bag, the David Alan Harvey one they released a few years ago for their Magnum partnership. It has been well traveled with me thus-far and has held up admirably. It’s really the only bag I need, and though it’s not perfect it does what I want well enough. I’ve tried Billingham bags as well and they are indeed very nice, but I am not sure if they’re something I’m really going to want long term. I currently have a Hadley Small which is definitely a nice quality bag, but aesthetically it’s really just not “me”.

(Did I really just say that?)