PDA

View Full Version : 35RC: adjusting rangefinder?

wopr
06-12-2017, 17:37
Hi, first post here.

I just bought an Olympus 35 RC in really nice condition. The only problem is the alignment of the rangefinder at infinity. Following the instructions I found online, I attempted to adjust the alignment by removing the screw in the back of the camera and adjusting the secondary screw. Unfortunately, it looks like the previous owner attempted the same, and somehow, the screw is jammed or is so tight that it cannot be moved without damaging the screw head. Is there another way to access that screw? Maybe by removing the whole back of the camera? Any advice?

Thanks

charjohncarter
06-12-2017, 20:16
I have one of these and had it CLAd. It cost more than the camera, but I was happy. I really think that you should try to find another one that works, these really are not sturdy cameras.

wopr
06-12-2017, 20:42
Do you remember who serviced your camera?

I figure if I can't get the rangefinder adjusted, I'll just rely on depth of field or hyperfocal distance to do the work for me. Tomorrow I'll go buy a 675 ZA battery and see what fun is in store for me with the meter :)

I only paid $35 for the camera, so it's not the end of the world, but still, I really want this camera to work - it's so nice!

DwF
06-12-2017, 20:59
Blue Moon Camera and Machine in Portland are very reasonable. They CLA'd my XA and replaced the shutter button for 111.00. So with $35 into it, another 130.00 with shipping, it's a lot less than a used Fuji X100 :)

MRohlfing
06-13-2017, 03:01
... Tomorrow I'll go buy a 675 ZA battery and see what fun is in store for me with the meter :) ...

The meter is great, nearly always spot-on with my chromes! I use a 1.5V battery with an adapter

DwF
06-13-2017, 05:51
Hi, first post here.

I just bought an Olympus 35 RC in really nice condition. The only problem is the alignment of the rangefinder at infinity. Following the instructions I found online, I attempted to adjust the alignment by removing the screw in the back of the camera and adjusting the secondary screw. Unfortunately, it looks like the previous owner attempted the same, and somehow, the screw is jammed or is so tight that it cannot be moved without damaging the screw head. Is there another way to access that screw? Maybe by removing the whole back of the camera? Any advice?

Thanks

Just thinking about the screw being "jammed.....so tight", I wonder whether the previous owner used loctite on the inner screw to keep it from moving "out of adjustment" and somehow got it on the outer screw as well. In which case maybe it just needs solvent to get things moving and gain access. Something like that might be fixed by someone local who does basic repair or maybe even a watch repair person.

wopr
06-13-2017, 06:09
Just thinking about the screw being "jammed.....so tight", I wonder whether the previous owner used loctite on the inner screw to keep it from moving "out of adjustment" and somehow got it on the outer screw as well. In which case maybe it just needs solvent to get things moving and gain access. Something like that might be fixed by someone local who does basic repair or maybe even a watch repair person.
The real problem is the screw is at an odd angle, and the screw head is far off to one side where I can't really reach it with a screwdriver. When I can, I can just get the tip of the screwdriver on, but the screw is so tight that it doesn't turn. Maybe if the screwdriver had a better grip on the screw it would budge.