PDA

View Full Version : OM-2n Problem

blumoon
06-05-2017, 18:38
I got an Olympus OM-2n today from the original owner.
The camera looks good and the shutter works OK until I put a lens on it.
With a lens on the shutter works, but there is a slight delay until the mirror drops. I tried a few different lens and the result is the same.
What do I need to do to fix it??

Chriscrawfordphoto
06-05-2017, 19:33
I got an Olympus OM-2n today from the original owner.
The camera looks good and the shutter works OK until I put a lens on it.
With a lens on the shutter works, but there is a slight delay until the mirror drops. I tried a few different lens and the result is the same.
What do I need to do to fix it??

Return it and buy another. The repair is not something you can do yourself and it costs more than the camera did. Good OM-2 bodies are plentiful and cheap.

Cabledog
06-05-2017, 21:19
How long is slight? I have the om3 and om1. The shutter in the om3 has a slight delay almost like a double slap. I believe it has to do with the way the meter reads off the film plane. I think the om2n had this same feature. Do you see a black and white pattern that resembles a qr code inside the body? I think it pops up very quickly before the mirror does.

p.giannakis
06-05-2017, 22:20
Are the lenses working ok? Some of them have oil migrated on the aperture mechanism and the aperture is sluggish. Play a bit with the aperture and see if it sluggish.

Have a look here to see what i mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m149Vt76-5k

Arbitrarium
06-06-2017, 01:27
Might it be something to do with the mirror damper foam? Getting... squished... by the lens... Not sure where I'm going with this.

Alfonso B
06-06-2017, 02:19
Return it and buy another.

The original owner doesn't sound like it was a camera store like transaction with stated working condition..

I second the slow aperture theory. Lots of om lenses have sticky blades..

blumoon
06-06-2017, 04:27
Thanks for your replies.
The problem is not a sticky aperture...I tried a few different lenses.
I do see the black & white pattern when the shutter is cocked.
The camera seems to work fine in manual mode.
Would something inside the bottom need a touch of lubrication?

JonWNC
06-06-2017, 05:02
"but there is a slight delay until the mirror drops.
I do see the black & white pattern when the shutter is cocked.
The camera seems to work fine in manual mode."

It sounds like normal function in automatic mode with no film in the camera.
Also make sure you have good / fresh silver oxide batteries installed.

Alfonso B
06-06-2017, 05:11
The camera seems to work fine in manual mode.

You need to insert film :D Seriously, the AE measures light reflected from film so it's completely non-functional without one in and back closed. Just making sure.

Are you sure the delay is between 2:nd curtain firing and mirror coming down? Or is it possible you are just getting a long ass exposure?

blumoon
06-06-2017, 05:15
It sounds like normal function in automatic mode with no film in the camera.
Also make sure you have good / fresh silver oxide batteries installed.

WOW!!!
I put a roll of film in, and it seems to be working fine.
Thank you so much.

Not quite sure why it would work with film in it, but not work with no film.
Any explanations?

gustavoAvila
06-06-2017, 05:21
The OM-2n ceased production in 1984. If the camera never had a CLA, it is likely to need such now.

A respected resource for Olympus repairs is John Hermanson, who can be contacted through his website at zuiko.com.

Alfonso B
06-06-2017, 05:23
Any explanations?

The film pressure plate is less reflective than the film surface so it takes more time to receive enough light on the metering cells.

Cabledog
06-06-2017, 06:35
If you are able to try an om1 compare it to the om2n. You'll notice it fires like a traditional manual slr. I sometimes prefer my om1 for that but the advanced light meter in the om3 is nice to have. Glad it's working and you don't have to return it.

WOW!!!
I put a roll of film in, and it seems to be working fine.
Thank you so much.

Any explanations?

Richard G
06-06-2017, 07:24
It's a brilliant camera. In good light you don't even need to turn it on to get perfectly exposed shots all day.

popavvakum
06-06-2017, 13:15
The film pressure plate is less reflective than the film surface so it takes more time to receive enough light on the metering cells.

This is absolutely correct; the "delay" in auto-exposure mode may be quite long. To check it without film you should try it in the manual mode only. By the way, OM2n (probably all OM's) has an interesting pneumatic mirror vibration damper but the tiny bits of foam upon which the mirror corners come may deteriorate with time; if they turn sticky and the camera was not used for long time it may produce some delay as well. It will pass with regular use, but you may try and replace them with bits of self-adhesive light-proofing foam (of course the sticky side away from from the mirror!)

ferider
06-06-2017, 13:23
Any explanations?

See above. When I got my first camera, a new OM2n, when I was 14, I remember it came with a small grey cardboard card between shutter and pressure plate, to allow playing with it without film.

Roland.