View Full Version : Retina IIIc 028 Slow rangefinder
Hello. Just got hold of a Reinta IIIc t028. Its in a pretty good shape, lightmeter is working ok, but when I focus, the visual rangefinder patch is a little slow to follow up the lens movement; there is a time delay between moving the lens and the focusing patch moving to catch up with the movement made.
Probably there is something sticky in the rangefinder mechanism, due to being left unused for a time (it belonged to my father and I know he didn't used for a very long time, if ever, he had other favorite cameras).
Question is, how should I check it? should I remove the top cover and use lighter fluid? any idea?
I just got a Retina II today with the same problem. I'll be taking the top off tonight and giving it a good clean.
I have some confusing information about this. I cleaned the finder when I got my IIc, including cleaning and relubricating the arm pivot, I used moebius oil. After I was done, I had this slow movement thing, and the RF wouldn't stop in the right place unless the lens was moved from the close distance direction (!). I can't remember if it did it before, the finder was pretty much useless. After finally figuring out that was happening and getting the RF set correctly, it was still doing that slow thing, and still not settling in the right place when moved from the infinity direction.
I abandoned the thing in a drawer for 9 months or so, disappointed. Took it out later and the problems were gone. My first thought was that I didn't get the bearing lubricated right, my second is that it was worn, and took a while to get 'seated'.
You'll have to take off the RF assembly to get to the pivot, and then re set the RF for distance, maybe vertical alignment. There is a guide at retinarescue. Be sure not to turn the camera over with the cover off and let the rod fall out, like he says.
I do think Chris Sherlock is a good option. I think a CLA'd IIIc is worth $150. I still don't know exactly what happened.
I've just wrestled the top off my Retina II (had to grind a spanner to get the bloody wind knob off) and gave the whole lot a clean with electrical cleaner. Slow mirror cured instantly. I'll let it all dry and give it another go over. Seems the slowness was to do with how the linkage slid across the chassis, so I didn't have to remove the rangefinder assembly.
Currently trying to dig all the crap out from around the bellows. It appears I found a particularly gammy copy of the camera.
Nice, will give it a try tonight. I hope it get fixed, its a very good copy of the camera.
vBulletin® v3.6.8, Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.