PDA

View Full Version : Olympus A11 flash faulty, fixable ?

TheHibou
04-23-2017, 01:29
Hello all, again,
As a complement to the previous post, the Olympus A11 flash is faulty. Loading is awfully long (more than one minute), with a new battery I can obtain say 15 to 20 fires, then the battery is half dead. Battery leak, I suppose ? I would like to open the flash and try to fix it, still I have no service manual, and no even the smallest indication on how to open it...
Best Rgards,
Herve

johannielscom
04-23-2017, 03:47
The capacitor might just have to come back to life again if it's been without work for a ling time... I have an A11 and an A16 that both took a day's intermittent charging and firing before they were behaving close to normal again. Some flashes are beyond saving, a small flash for a Cosina CX-1 never came back to life again...

sreed2006
04-23-2017, 04:31
Here is an old RangeFinderForum thread. So old it is archived. Sometimes just leaving the flash with a new battery in it for awhile, turned on, will bring the capacitor back to life. Which is similar to what johannielscom has already said.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/classics/forum/messages/2/14191.html?1314689022

David Hughes
04-23-2017, 05:52
Hi,

It was standard practice in the years before we all had electronic flashes to reform the capacitor by leaving the thing on and with the battery in it. They fit capacitors in other things and that's probably why some P&S's come back to life after a while...

Regards, David

skucera
04-23-2017, 09:27
The practice of just recharging and discharging the capacitors in the flash does sometimes work to bring them back to life, but it can be hard on batteries. However, sometimes the electrolytic capacitors in these Seventies flashes simply fail because they dry out. When a capacitor fails, it often creates a short circuit in place of storing an electrical potential. Depending on its location within the chain of capacitors in the charge pump circuitry, if a failed capacitor is the last in the chain then the drain won't be as fast, but the strobe can still be test fired but at less than 100% power; if it is the first capacitor in the chain, it'll drain the battery without ever charging up enough to fire a strobe when you push he Test button. If you're skilled with electronics repair, you can replace failed capacitors with new ones. This gives you some options as long as the new capacitors fit in the space inside the flash enclosure. Just be careful to safely discharge all the capacitors, because the electric discharge of a healthy capacitor can kill you. I've replaced old electrolytic capacitors with ceramic capacitors on a few flashes, and all but one repair worked. Oh, if you replace an electrolytic capacitor with another electrolytic, remember that they are polarized and must be installed with the correct polarity or they won't work.

Scott

TheHibou
04-23-2017, 23:40
Thanks to all for those mostly interesting inputs, I will leave the thing on with a fresh - rechargeable - battery for a while ans see what happens :-)
Regards,
TheHibou

Sid836
04-24-2017, 00:07
If you are handy with these things, open it and replace the electrolytic capacitor with an MLCC one. You could also use metal film caps, but I doubt if they would fit in it.

David Hughes
04-24-2017, 01:35
Hi,

I should have added that reforming dates from the days when a condenser was a roll of foil and insulator. I guess them days have gone. My other excuse is that I retired 26 years ago.

Regards, David

sevo
04-24-2017, 02:32
Hi,

I should have added that reforming dates from the days when a condenser was a roll of foil and insulator. I guess them days have gone.

It is peculiar to electrolyte condensers. Reforming can only cure capacitors with a inactivated dielectric layer (i.e. temporally low resistance and reduced capacity). Short-circuited ones as well as dried up ones (with high or infinite resistance) are dead for good.

Merlijn53
04-24-2017, 02:48
Thanks to all for those mostly interesting inputs, I will leave the thing on with a fresh - rechargeable - battery for a while ans see what happens :-)
Regards,
TheHibou

Hi,
If you cannot get it to work, I might have a working one lying around and can send it to you.
Have to check tonight.
Regards,
Frank