PDA

View Full Version : Olympus XA black screw issue... or not ?

TheHibou
04-23-2017, 01:21
Hello all,
Sorry for my poor writing style, english is not my native language. My question might be strange, still it is serious. Recently I baught an Olympus XA from a professional vendor, when I opened the box a small anodised black screw felt on the table. I carefully inspected the camera and the A11 attached flash, no missing external screw. At that point, two options : either that screw comes from inside the camera, which is bad, or it felt in the box from nowwhere, and I should simply not care. At the end of the day, my question to XA experts is : are they any black screws inside the camera ? Il would expect to have only shiny metal screws inside, still who knows...
Regards,
TheHibou

fjolnir
04-23-2017, 02:14
I don't remember any black screws on the inside

Also I don't know how they'd make their way out of the camera body if there were any

TheHibou
04-23-2017, 02:22
Thank you for this double confirmation, I feel much more comfortable by now !
Best Regards,
TheHibou

oftheherd
04-23-2017, 03:05
On mine, there are four on the bottom and one on the back. I don't recall about inside. But I would put film in it and try it gently. If it works and continues to work I wouldn't worry. But I would keep it. You may find it belongs somewhere, or it may end up being useful elsewhere.

But like fiolnir said, I don't see how it could migrate from inside.

sreed2006
04-23-2017, 03:35
On my XA, on the film take-up side, between the take-up spool and the lens (way deep in there), near the bottom of the camera, there is a black screw. That was the only one I saw in the film chamber itself.

sreed2006
04-23-2017, 04:05
In this exploded parts diagram, it is the screw that is shown near the bottom-left corner of the back plate.

https://www.yumpu.com/lv/document/view/36506754/olympus-xa-exploded-parts-diagrams-bsuaudeau

Maybe easier to see here: labeled PUTB2x4SB. On the grid, go straight down from the line between A and B, and go to the right from 3. It's the first screw slightly up from there. You can download the manual from the link to get a much better image.

https://www.elektrotanya.com/olympus_xa_exploded_parts_diagram.pdf/download.html

oftheherd
04-23-2017, 05:34
Thanks for the links. Where were you guys when I was working on a friend's XA 3 or 4 years ago. :p

Spavinaw
04-23-2017, 12:33
I save little things like screws, springs, ball bearings, and such in 35mm film cans. Can't recall ever using any of them---but I save them.