PDA

View Full Version : Leica Instax Camera? Rumor

KRaZiGLiTcH
09-12-2016, 15:38
Hey saw this spreading around, its a Leica instax camera.
not sure if fake though.

The reported specs are:
Lens: Auto-Hektor 1:12,7/60mm lens (34mm equivalent on 35mm film)
Three focusing zones: Macro (no distance in the info) / Standard 60cm-3m / Infinity 3m-infinty
Will take Fuji-Instax film (62x46mm pictures)
Selfie mode
Price: under 300€
Shipping in November
Three colors available: white, orange and minthttp://fujiaddict.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Leica-Instant-Sofort-Camera-2.jpg

http://fujiaddict.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Leica-Instant-Sofort-Camera-4.jpg
Source is http://fujiaddict.com/2016/09/12/new-leica-copying-fujifilm-instax-in-new-lfi-magazine/
Sorry if this has been posted.

Lord Lucan
09-12-2016, 16:31
Why not? Its business. Fujifilm made lots of money selling throw away camera.
If its true Leica is giving more choice.
As they say----" to suit every pocket"

Keith
09-12-2016, 16:38
I'd like the mint one. I've always wanted a 'mint' camera! :D

sepiareverb
09-12-2016, 16:59
Smart. Should stop some discussion on the "Has Leica alienated you?" Thread.

Mackinaw
09-12-2016, 17:15
Instead of the Hektor, I wish it had a Noctilux.

Jim B.

Jamie Pillers
09-12-2016, 17:19
No Black Paint model? Nothing like seeing that plastic show through after a few months of rubbing.

Harry Caul
09-12-2016, 17:24
Hmmm.... something about that camera seem strangely familiar... hmmm....

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/instant_photo/cameras/instax_mini_90/

http://uncrate.com/p/2013/10/fujifilm-instax-mini-90-neo-classic-camera-xl.jpg

Harry Caul
09-12-2016, 17:27
Yes... hmm...

https://www.millennius.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/fujifilm-instax-mini-90-neo-classic-compact-digital-9t3z90-42.jpg

zuiko85
09-12-2016, 18:21
Sure, why not. As a gag I copied the Leica red dot, sized and printed it out on gummed paper then cut them out and stuck them on all sorts of stuff. Can openers, 99 cent plastic cameras, kids toys, etc.

unixrevolution
09-12-2016, 20:59
I would hope if Leica was going to make an instant, it would be more...rangefindery?

Like, actual focusing maybe? faster lenses?

I love the Instax Neo 90, but I have certain expectations, especially with the inevitable Leica price point.

lynnb
09-13-2016, 01:08

Needs to be called "minty" and have a mint taste if you lick it, for authenticity. And the wrapping needs to be waxed paper that you can tear into a veeeeeeery long string :)

Chubberino
09-13-2016, 02:13
So a rebranded Fuji... yup

Lord Lucan
09-13-2016, 03:26
So a rebranded Fuji... yup
No,It wont be Fuji at all.Even though made in Fuji factory.
Leica hired manufacturing fecility at Fuji plant with workers and also paid for design and everything that went into making this Leica brand and also other.
In this day and age why can they have commercial partnership?
Thats the only way forward.

Lord Lucan
09-13-2016, 03:29
No right minded business person would alienate any clientale.

HoodedOne
09-13-2016, 04:01
Maybe there is hope, for a full manual control instax camera.

ulrich.von.lich
09-13-2016, 04:24
The inscription "Designed by Leica Camera Germany" means nothing but it's built elsewhere, and I don't believe it's in Portugal, Canada or Japan. It may very well be the first Leica camera made in China.

PS: It looks quite uncomfortable to hold.

:: Mark
09-13-2016, 05:04
The inscription "Designed by Leica Camera Germany" means nothing

I am surprised that something like this would be legal as a product description. "Designed and built by Fuji with minor styling tweaks by Leica" would be a more accurate description. And, seriously, why would you pay double the price for that?!

At least it is only a rumor for now...

ulrich.von.lich
09-13-2016, 05:25
It's not about the law but the decence.

I was almost shocked to discover on the first iPod I bought the inscription "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China". I have never bought another Apple product ever since.

sevo
09-13-2016, 05:51
At least it is only a rumor for now...

The inscription is a indication that this is no Leica draft but a photoshop job out of someones imagination - Leica are far more subtle about the degree of participation they have in their outsourced products...

brennanphotoguy
09-13-2016, 06:24
Supposedly it's in the newest copy of LFI and it's been confirmed and it'll be released at Photokina.

jsrockit
09-13-2016, 06:43

Huh? The Leica version of this is still twice the price of the comparable Fuji model (which was already over-priced).

unixrevolution
09-13-2016, 09:11
Huh? The Leica version of this is still twice the price of the comparable Fuji model (which was already over-priced).

Honestly, I don't think the Fujis are overpriced at all.

jsrockit
09-13-2016, 09:16

I was talking about the Neo 90 specifically. Compared to a similar Fuji model without the retro look it is. Obviously, not in any huge way though.

Huss
09-13-2016, 09:26
I already have the Fuji Instax 90 and it is a really fun camera. But it is built to a super plasticky toy level quality. If this Leica is a rebadged Fuji, then it will do a dis-service to the perception of quality build.

Huss
09-13-2016, 09:32

They're not. The Instax 90 is $128 at B&H in brown pleather (it did intro at a crazy $300!) . The Instax 70 starts at about $90 depending on colour.
I have both and the photos look identical so with the 90 you are paying for the style.

I use these at my gallery openings to give photos to customers and nothing puts a bigger smile on their faces. Adults and kids alike.

Chubberino
09-13-2016, 10:30
And the 70 and 90 have different features so saying they are the same except for the 90's styling is misleading.

unixrevolution
09-13-2016, 11:24
I was talking about the Neo 90 specifically. Compared to a similar Fuji model without the retro look it is. Obviously, not in any huge way though.

They're not. The Instax 90 is $128 at B&H in brown pleather (it did intro at a crazy $300!) . The Instax 70 starts at about $90 depending on colour.
I have both and the photos look identical so with the 90 you are paying for the style.

I use these at my gallery openings to give photos to customers and nothing puts a bigger smile on their faces. Adults and kids alike.

You both seem to think the 90 is all hat and no cattle, but it really isn't. The 90 has features and capabilities that are bespoke to it in the instax line, and you are paying for those features. Dual shutter buttons, one of which doubles as a selfie mirror, program autoexposure, a re-chargeable battery rather than expensive Lithium photo cells, and other features are tip-top among the Instax cameras, and the 90 is the only one where you can turn the flash completely off. It is not just a restyled 70, and I think at its current going prices, it's completely reasonable.

As for the smiles, I totally agree. I have said it before: "Some cameras are only cool to camera nerds, but instant cameras are cool even if you don't know an F/stop from a bus stop."

And the 70 and 90 have different features so saying they are the same except for the 90's styling is misleading.

This is correct.

I already have the Fuji Instax 90 and it is a really fun camera. But it is built to a super plasticky toy level quality. If this Leica is a rebadged Fuji, then it will do a dis-service to the perception of quality build.

Agreed. It's fine for an admittedly cheap camera, but it's not Leica quality.

brennanphotoguy
09-13-2016, 11:36
http://leicarumors.com/2016/09/13/the-new-leica-sofort-instant-camera-will-be-announced-on-september-15th.aspx/

A little over $300 for a Fuji Instax isn't worth it. If the film itself had a little different look than the regular stuff then I'd be interested in that at least, but it more than likely won't. I'd consider paying a little more ($25-$30) more than a regular Fuji camera for the Leica because it looks better IMHO but that's a bit ridiculous haha.

giganova
09-13-2016, 11:53
I love it! Will get one, just for fun & giggles at parties :D

jsrockit
09-13-2016, 12:47
You both seem to think the 90 is all hat and no cattle, but it really isn't. The 90 has features and capabilities that are bespoke to it in the instax line, and you are paying for those features. Dual shutter buttons, one of which doubles as a selfie mirror, program autoexposure, a re-chargeable battery rather than expensive Lithium photo cells, and other features are tip-top among the Instax cameras, and the 90 is the only one where you can turn the flash completely off. It is not just a restyled 70, and I think at its current going prices, it's completely reasonable.

I think all Instax cameras are, as you say, all hat and no cattle. When it came out it was $149. It was steep for what you get image wise in MY OPINION.

Huss
09-13-2016, 13:18
The Instax cameras give much better results than the MINT Rolleiflex copy instant camera.
And those are almost $400.

JoeV
09-13-2016, 13:21
It's not about the law but the decence.

I was almost shocked to discover on the first iPod I bought the inscription "Designed by Apple in California Assembled in China". I have never bought another Apple product ever since.

I know! And those darned Japanese Nikon and German Leica rangefinders! Isn't anything made in 'Murca anymore?

jsrockit
09-13-2016, 13:21
The Instax cameras give much better results than the MINT Rolleiflex copy instant camera.
And those are almost $400.

I will agree that Fuji is making the best Instax cameras.

More info on the Leica:

http://petapixel.com/2016/09/13/leaked-leica-made-instant-camera-called-sofort/

wjlapier
09-13-2016, 14:22
I love it! Will get one, just for fun & giggles at parties :D

Me too.

Gotta love some of the predictable responses to a plastic instant film Leica badged camera--:rolleyes:

Huss
09-13-2016, 14:55
Me too.

Gotta love some of the predictable responses to a plastic instant film Leica badged camera--:rolleyes:

Given that they are identical cameras, and identical looking, would you prefer to spend $400 for the Leica, or $128 for the Fuji?
You can always buy a Leica dot from DAG for $20...

http://www.dagcamera.com/store/p156/Red_Leica_Logo_for_M6-M9.html

sepiareverb
09-13-2016, 16:04
No right minded business person would alienate any clientale.

:angel:

nikonosguy
09-13-2016, 16:26
the instax wide is pretty solid --- i like it --- just seems leica is
grasping at straws... not sure what they're going for here... seems
hipster, skinny jean wearing, bearded, vegan, Iced, Half Caff,
Ristretto, Venti, 4-Pump, Sugar Free, Cinnamon, Dolce Soy Skinny Latte
drinking,buddy holly glasses wearing, film is not dead crowd... well...
f*ck me... those are the same guys that have ruined modern photography

Huss
09-13-2016, 17:19

Those are the same guys that have saved film photography.

Like this hipster whose last film, filmed on film, made $2 billion this year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._J._Abrams

giganova
09-13-2016, 20:25
Right after I saw this thread, I headed to Bestbuy and bought a Fuji Instax 9 for $59.- and two packs of film. This thing is hilarious, the pictures are truly unique and total fun!

I got a wedding coming up on Saturday and I decided to snap pictures all night and put them up on a board for all wedding guests to see -- in real time!

Huss
09-13-2016, 22:08
Right after I saw this thread, I headed to Bestbuy and bought a Fuji Instax 9 for $59.- and two packs of film. This thing is hilarious, the pictures are truly unique and total fun!

I got a wedding coming up on Saturday and I decided to snap pictures all night and put them up on a board for all wedding guests to see -- in real time!
u can get the film from Amazon for much cheaper than in Best Buy. The camera is a blast.

brbo
09-13-2016, 23:45
If this rumor is true, I bet Leica is getting this Instax cameras from Fuji for free.

Fuji will milk a LOT of Instax brand exposure (and money) out of this. And Leica isn't shy when it comes to getting some money for no work.

jsrockit
09-14-2016, 05:57

How can a few guys ruin photography based on their appearance and affinity for certain foods / products?

Crazy Fedya
09-14-2016, 09:03
How can a few guys ruin photography based on their appearance and affinity for certain foods / products?

Their selfies while eating??? ;)

wjlapier
09-14-2016, 09:30
Given that they are identical cameras, and identical looking, would you prefer to spend $400 for the Leica, or $128 for the Fuji?
You can always buy a Leica dot from DAG for $20...

http://www.dagcamera.com/store/p156/Red_Leica_Logo_for_M6-M9.html

Black dot?

Huss
09-14-2016, 14:24
Black dot?

Red or black!

Ronald M
09-14-2016, 15:03
I thought Leica was a high end camera company. Guess not.

They have so many models most of which I consider garbage.

Huss
09-14-2016, 16:40

They have so many models most of which I consider garbage.

Yup everything after the M5 with the exception of the M7

;p

mpaniagua
09-14-2016, 16:46
Yup everything after the M5 with the exception of the M7

;p

Hey thats rude to my M6 :)

Huss
09-14-2016, 16:49
Hey thats rude to my M6 :)

Don't forget the MP, MA and all the digital dross.
:D

giganova
09-14-2016, 19:57
I just snatched an "ACHTUNG!" special edition made of white plastanium from the Leica store in Ginza, Tokyo. In case you don't know, plastanium is made by virgins in Solms during blue moon at midnight. Love the reduction to the essential, "das Nichts": all you can do is put in the film and press the shutter. No distracting controls. I also love how uncluttered the viewfinder is, no distractions from perfectly composing your master shots, you can't even see the frame lines. I'm so happy they allowed me to pay a premium for this extraordinary masterpiece. It's like a fine watch, like a sun dial without the annoying dial. They even removed the tripod thread to preserve the clean lines of the design. Genius! And for those who are concerned about the conspicuous Leica logo, they made it tear-off, so if you are mobbed by a crowd, you can tear it off in fractions of a second to disguise it as a kid's toy. Amazing! They even reduced the film cartridge to only hold ten frames. That's all you need for fame. After all, how many Cartier-Bresson pictures do you remember? I bet it is less than 10, so there you go. Thank you, Leica.

Edit: I just discovered something amazing: after you press the shutter, a pristine paper comes out of the camera that mysteriously transforms into a positive image. Right in front of your eyes! Yes, a positive, not a negative!!

http://giganova.com/Misc/Leica_sofort.jpg

wjlapier
09-14-2016, 20:46
I just snatched an "ACHTUNG!" special edition made of white plastanium from the Leica store in Ginza, Tokyo. In case you don't know, plastanium is made by virgins in Solms during blue moon at midnight. Love the reduction to the essential, "das Nichts": all you can do is put in the film and press the shutter. No distracting controls. I also love how uncluttered the viewfinder is, no distractions from perfectly composing your master shots, you can't even see the frame lines. I'm so happy they allowed me to pay a premium for this extraordinary masterpiece. It's like a fine watch, like a sun dial without the annoying dial. They even removed the tripod thread to preserve the clean lines of the design. Genius! And for those who are concerned about the conspicuous Leica logo, they made it tear-off, so if you are mobbed by a crowd, you can tear it off in fractions of a second to disguise it as a kid's toy. Amazing! The even reduced the film cartridge to only hold ten frames. That's all you need for fame. After all, how many Cartier-Bresson pictures do you remember? I guess it is less than 10, so there you go. Thank you, Leica.

http://giganova.com/Misc/Leica_sofort.jpg

Virgins in Solms--drool :angel:

Huss
09-14-2016, 22:10
Virgins in Solms--drool :angel:

If it matters, he didn't mention the sex of those virgins.

unixrevolution
09-14-2016, 22:31
If it matters, he didn't mention the sex of those virgins.

Obviously if they are virgins, their sex is "No, thank you."

MikeMGB
09-15-2016, 06:47
It's released:

https://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-Sofort

pvdhaar
09-15-2016, 06:51
It's released:

Untill this official link came along, I couldn't believe it was for real..

With the features listed and depending on how good the lens is, it may be an interesting camera alongside the Lomo'Instant that I have..

fireblade
09-15-2016, 07:03
Apparently $315-00US

MikeMGB
09-15-2016, 07:12
Apparently $315-00US

Street price of $299 US at my local dealer.

coelacanth
09-15-2016, 07:18
I'm quite sure the lens is identical to the Fuji counterpart in optical performance.

I like the design of Sofort better than Fuji's. Also it's designed to be carried and seen as a horizontal orientation camera as opposed to Fuji's vertical hanging design.

Interestingly the UI (buttons and display) are actually tweaked from Fuji's.

Cute. Don't know why Leica wanted to do it. Kind of interesting to see the collaboration with Fuji again after the digital camera rebadging many yeas ago.

GarageBoy
09-15-2016, 07:50
Why can't they throw a better lens (faster?) and some sorta AF on it? I'd love an F4.5 lens

Huss
09-15-2016, 07:54
Why can't they throw a better lens (faster?) and some sorta AF on it? I'd love an F4.5 lens

Cuz look at the size of the print which essentially is the negative size.
It's much bigger than 35mm, so the lens and camera would have to be huge.

Huss
09-15-2016, 07:57
The selfie pic on the site in the Pure Joy of Photography section was not taken with the Leitax. Kinda lame they would imply it was.

You can see the reflection in his sunglasses that it is a different camera!

giganova
09-15-2016, 08:06

That's what you think. I bet the guys at Leica couldn't care less about that.

Oscar Barnack didn't wake up one morning, had an epiphany and vowed to make the best high-end camera in the world. He just saw an opportunity to make his employer some money by designing a very practical camera with a small footprint, capitalizing on the emerging new -- and small! -- 35mm film format. In fact, if you read historical records, his cameras were regarded as inferior, as a toy for amateurs at that time. In the 1930 through 60s, Leica was not determined to make high-end cameras either. They just made good cameras and lenses because Germany had very skilled labors at that time and they could make some money off the tradition and skills of their workers. They drifted more & more into the high-end camera market because they could maximize their profit in this segment, and this trend continues to this day with most (but not all) of their products. If Leica thinks they can make a buck or two from a plasticky instant camera, why not? What's wrong with that?

The Sofort doesn't take anything away from the "high-end" S, SL, and M model range of products. If they can use the profit made from this camera to support R&D for our favorite Leica system, than we benefit from this piece of plastic.

giganova
09-15-2016, 08:18
Ouch, Leica is now on first name basis (https://de.leica-camera.com/Fotografie/Leica-Sofort) with their customers?

Yes, because it's target market for the Sofort are young people!

froyd
09-15-2016, 08:19
I wonder if this is part of Leica's promised focus on professional photography at Photokina :P

I love the little Instax cameras and use my daughter's more than she does. I would have loved to see a version capable of higher IQ, closer to a Polaroid Spectra, but for all I know, the real limitation is not the Fuji's plastic lens as much as the technical limitations of the film.

muser53
09-15-2016, 08:31
IF it broadens their customer base, draws more people to photography and makes them a bit of $$$$ what is so bad?

giganova
09-15-2016, 08:33
the educated young people certainly prefer the last-name basis
I think you are dead wrong on this. Friends call each other by first name. In academia and even in a professional environment here in the US, everyone is on first name basis, nobody would every say "Mr", "Dr" or "Professor", that's a last century mindset.

giganova
09-15-2016, 08:36
IF it broadens their customer base, draws more people to photography and makes them a bit of $$$$ what is so bad?

Exactly: it draws young people into the brand, potential future high-end customers. Brilliant move, if you ask me.

mani
09-15-2016, 09:43
Haha my first visit to RFF for a while - couldn't resist checking-in to see how much negativity and bile would be pouring over this camera.
Checks out again.

Huss
09-15-2016, 10:18
Haha my first visit to RFF for a while - couldn't resist checking-in to see how much negativity and bile would be pouring over this camera.
Checks out again.

Nice. Slings mud and runs.

Scapevision
09-15-2016, 10:31
amazing leica jerking in this thread :D

Huss
09-15-2016, 11:15
Street price of $299 US at my local dealer.

How much is the Leica branded film vs getting it from Fuji?

giganova
09-15-2016, 11:30
So you think young people in Europe prefer to address themselves by last name? Ok. :rolleyes:

mpaniagua
09-15-2016, 11:43
So you think young people in Europe prefer to address themselves by last name? Ok. :rolleyes:

I think he was speaking about the business context:

....particularly the educated young people certainly prefer the last-name basis when it comes to spend the sum in question.

not in the day to day basis. Is my understanding correct radi(c)al_cam?

Archlich
09-15-2016, 11:57
It's rumored that Leica will be taking pictures of Photokina visitors with the Sofort.

Wonder what they'd say if someone shot back with a Instax mini 90...

GarageBoy
09-15-2016, 11:59

Yeah, i understand that - I'm willing to accept that - a land cameraish design would be perfect - even the non folding pack cameras were not that big and a F4.5/F5.6 large format lens isn't that big

Huss
09-15-2016, 12:56
When I was working on my Masters Degree in Philosophy after I retired, I always addressed my professors as Professor [last name] even though they were much younger than I was. It is a sign of respect.

When I visit my physician for a checkup or am treated by my physicians in the hospital, I always address them as Dr. [last name], even though I have known them for years. It is a sign of respect.

I guess I just have a last century mindset.

So speak for yourself from your limited experience, and not for everyone here in the U.S.

I find I do much better in court when I say " Your Honour, please allow me to explain" than "yo Brian, here's how it went down"

Chubberino
09-15-2016, 13:09
Having a bad day?

more like a bad life.:)

CK Dexter Haven
09-15-2016, 15:41
Exactly: it draws young people into the brand, potential future high-end customers. Brilliant move, if you ask me.

I don't see this being effective as a 'gateway drug' for young people. The 'kids' aren't paying a premium for this over the Fuji, and then deciding they are 'hooked' on the particular Leica goodness they've just experienced and need to spend tons more on the upper range.

Frankly, I'm surprised that more of you aren't saddened and disappointed by this. For those who are Leica fanboys and apologists, this cheapens your brand, cache, and reduces the exclusivity. For those who are more brand agnostic, it just seems like another waste of resources.

What's next, a Leica LOMO?

mpaniagua
09-15-2016, 15:46
I don't see this being effective as a 'gateway drug' for young people. The 'kids' aren't paying a premium for this over the Fuji, and then deciding they are 'hooked' on the particular Leica goodness they've just experienced and need to spend tons more on the upper range.

Frankly, I'm surprised that more of you aren't saddened and disappointed by this. For those who are Leica fanboys and apologists, this cheapens your brand, cache, and reduces the exclusivity. For those who are more brand agnostic, it just seems like another waste of resources.

Well, Ford Fiesta certaintly dont cheapens a Ford Mustang. Every brand has a "Halo Product" as well as their "mainstream" products.

mpaniagua
09-15-2016, 15:48
I don't see this being effective as a 'gateway drug' for young people. The 'kids' aren't paying a premium for this over the Fuji, and then deciding they are 'hooked' on the particular Leica goodness they've just experienced and need to spend tons more on the upper range ....

They are certainly paying it for Iphone :p

YouAreHere
09-15-2016, 16:43

Leica are trying different things rather than locking themselves inside an 'M' box. What's wrong with that?

mpaniagua
09-15-2016, 16:49
Leica are trying different things rather than locking themselves inside an 'M' box. What's wrong with that?

Agree. Leica is struggling to survive on its current product portfolio, so they are trying different things. Huawei partnership is another example.

Huss
09-15-2016, 17:26

You rang?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/Desmolicious/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpseerg8kxf.jpeg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/Desmolicious/LomoLeica_zpskmnsywhp.jpg

giganova
09-15-2016, 17:36
Errrm, reading comprehension?!
So speak for yourself from your limited experience, and not for everyone here in the U.S.

Why are you so aggressive? And BTW, I'm European but live in the US, so I can see both sides.

All I wanted to say is that there's nothing wrong if Leica makes a plasticky cheap-ish camera (for Leica) intended for the young people, and addresses them on their web site in a more informal way. I think young people can relate to this.

But in any case, I respect that you are coming from a different point of view.

KRaZiGLiTcH
09-15-2016, 22:43
I was shocked to see that the Sofort is a real instax camera. I'll just keep using my neo 90, as it seems the sofort is, even the lens is the same apperently.
I wonder if the film will be rebranded like how polaroid 300 is?.

robert blu
09-15-2016, 23:49
Interesting move from Leica, trying to get a share in a different market which seems to be popular in certain area. If this brings more profit to the company why not !
Personally I'm much involved in shooting with Impossible films and I do not see the point to add another camera to my arsenal, but I learned never say never!
robert

brbo
09-16-2016, 00:12
I was shocked to see that the Sofort is a real instax camera. I'll just keep using my neo 90, as it seems the sofort is, even the lens is the same apperently.
I'd be shocked if it wasn't the same. I do think the Sofort looks great and better than Neo 90. I guess I'm really... a hipster.
I wonder if the film will be rebranded like how polaroid 300 is?.
I hope you don't expect Leica to come up with it's own instant film. Of course it's just a rebrand.

:: Mark
09-16-2016, 02:28
Frankly, I'm surprised that more of you aren't saddened and disappointed by this. For those who are Leica fanboys and apologists, this cheapens your brand, cache, and reduces the exclusivity.

Yes, one possibility is that this devalues the brand and as a result pulls down the prices for the higher end cameras. As a Leica photographer, that sounds good to me...

Another possibility is that it really does stimulate interest in film photography, and that this in turn encourages the continued development of the film M-series. As a Leica photographer, that also that sounds good to me...

But most likely, this will just become irrelevant and disappear. People get in to Instax because the cameras are cheap and because they offer something different. I doubt that there is a vast potential market that is currently stymied by the lack of a red dot on the cameras.

lynnb
09-16-2016, 03:13
At first I thought this news was a joke. But I see it's not. Frankly, I'm in favour of anything that boosts the popularity of instant film. Good luck to Leica with this experiment!

The announcement of Instax bw instant film is a welcome bonus.

AlexBG
09-16-2016, 03:17
I really like it, want one, it will probably be my Christmas present.

Godfrey
09-16-2016, 06:15
Who would have thought that Leica would introduce an instant film camera in 2016?

Whether the Sofort is a success or not is mostly irrelevant. It's a novelty—a Leica camera for $300 AND an instant film camera at that. It's a way to expand brand awareness to people who would never have heard of Leica. There are a lot of them.

And maybe it even takes cool photographs—I haven't heard anyone complaining that the camera it's derived from, the Instax Mini 90, does a poor job.

I think it's pretty neat. Of course, I think almost anything that brings instant film back into the world is pretty neat. :-)

G

BlackXList
09-16-2016, 14:58
The selfie pic on the site in the Pure Joy of Photography section was not taken with the Leitax. Kinda lame they would imply it was.

You can see the reflection in his sunglasses that it is a different camera!

It's a Canon 7d with a 10-22mm lens used at 10mm (so not the 34mm equivalent on the Sofort either)

BlackXList
09-16-2016, 14:59
But: the «Sofort» isn't comparable to a Fiesta; it's rather a tricycle.

(Additionally: LEICA isn't comparable to FORD at all, rather to PORSCHE, I'd suggest. … Ever seen a Porsche tricycle?)

http://www.carscoops.com/2008/02/gilligans-island-porsche-911-tricycle.html

wjlapier
09-16-2016, 15:11

I hope you don't expect Leica to come up with it's own instant film. Of course it's just a rebrand.

Maybe a tweak like they did with their Digilux vs Lumix. :cool:

mpaniagua
09-16-2016, 15:29
http://www.carscoops.com/2008/02/gilligans-island-porsche-911-tricycle.html

Well I rather like it :)

HHPhoto
09-17-2016, 07:13
Who would have thought that Leica would introduce an instant film camera in 2016?

Whether the Sofort is a success or not is mostly irrelevant. It's a novelty—a Leica camera for $300 AND an instant film camera at that. It's a way to expand brand awareness to people who would never have heard of Leica. There are a lot of them.

And maybe it even takes cool photographs—I haven't heard anyone complaining that the camera it's derived from, the Instax Mini 90, does a poor job.

I think it's pretty neat. Of course, I think almost anything that brings instant film back into the world is pretty neat. :-)

G

I agree.
It is a clever reaction to the collapsing digital camera market (which is significantly affecting Leica, too, of course). The latest market data is again looking horrible:
http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201607_e.pdf

But the Instax system is continuously growing.
And Leica is adressing completely new and especially young customers for its brand, much better brand awareness.

Last Photokina (2014) Leica introduced its new film M model M-A.
So Leica is one of the first smart companies which are realizing that the future growth area will be film again.
I expect further film products from them in the coming years.

Cheers, Jan

CK Dexter Haven
09-17-2016, 09:52
Well, Ford Fiesta certaintly dont cheapens a Ford Mustang. Every brand has a "Halo Product" as well as their "mainstream" products.

Seriously? The Ford Mustang is already 'cheap.' Certainly not an up-market, luxury product. A better analogy would be if Ferrari or Bentley brought out a smart car.

shawn
09-17-2016, 09:57

But then they could make it the large format Leica instant camera. :)

(Instax Wide)

Shawn

CK Dexter Haven
09-17-2016, 10:00
Yes, one possibility is that this devalues the brand and as a result pulls down the prices for the higher end cameras. As a Leica photographer, that sounds good to me...

Another possibility is that it really does stimulate interest in film photography, and that this in turn encourages the continued development of the film M-series. As a Leica photographer, that also that sounds good to me...

But most likely, this will just become irrelevant and disappear. People get in to Instax because the cameras are cheap and because they offer something different. I doubt that there is a vast potential market that is currently stymied by the lack of a red dot on the cameras.

I wish that were a practical possibility. We we know Leica. NOTHING will bring their prices down. That's not their biz model.

And there's nothing in the way that this instant camera looks, operates, or feels that is conducive to leading a progression or migration to the primary model range. There isn't even anything special enough about this product that would engender new brand loyalty. No super quality, no lenses that keep you in a system, no shared accessories. It's just another product. They might as well go whole hog and start putting their dots on Bluetooth speakers, fountain pens, sunglasses, and cologne.

Lss
09-17-2016, 10:27
Frankly, I'm surprised that more of you aren't saddened and disappointed by this.
I can see someone being disappointed if this was supposed to be another "mini M". But this is just a bonus product that wasn't even pre-marketed in any noticeable way.

JoeV
09-17-2016, 19:16
I'll preface this by stating I'm a Fujifilm Instax Wide 210 user. That camera is only okay in good light and pretty much sucks with flash in low light, unless you want to call badly exposed flash prints 'art.'

Then we have Lomography and their two iterations of the Instax wide, with even poorer quality lens.

I don't know about the Mint TLR, but I suspect it too is marginal in optics and exposure control.

I don't think us Instax users are asking too much just to want an instant camera with decent optics and manual controls. Hell, I'd pay more than Leica's asking if it were of reasonable quality. It can even be plastic, I don't care. But it has to be designed for photographers, not soccer moms who'd prefer just to use their phones.

Yep, Leica missed an opportunity here.

I dunno, maybe the Instax wide format is too sloppy for high quality images. Maybe there's too much slop in the film cartridge register distance to get great focus - I've never seen a really sharp print from one, either one I've exposed or seen online. So maybe my wish is like lipstick on a pig.

~Joe

Ken Ford
09-17-2016, 22:58
Maybe there is hope, for a full manual control instax camera.

I wish! Even better, the typical Fuji implementation with aperture and shutter speed controls, each with an "A" position so you get PASM modes.

jaapv
09-18-2016, 01:01
Seriously? The Ford Mustang is already 'cheap.' Certainly not an up-market, luxury product. A better analogy would be if Ferrari or Bentley brought out a smart car.
Well, Aston Martin brought out the Cygnet, which is a prettied up Toyota IQ at about triple the price.

http://files.vroom.be/pictures/press/2009/12/aston-martin-cygnet-toyota-iq-vantage-1/1.jpg?width=720&height=393

jaapv
09-18-2016, 01:11
Agree. Leica is struggling to survive on its current product portfolio, so they are trying different things. Huawei partnership is another example.
Nonsense.
They are well in the black, as opposed to many other camera makers.
Leica is trying to expand their market penetration, both at the top end and at the bottom.

ian_watts
09-18-2016, 01:17
Nonsense.
They are well in the black, as opposed to many other camera makers.

How would you know? The accounts are no longer public and I doubt you are privy to anything on the inside.

jaapv
09-18-2016, 01:20

I agree, like the Sphinx cracked a joke.
The main mistake of this thing is that it looks too Fuji-like. For Leica it does not matter where the internals come from, the package must be unmistakable Leica (like the Panasonic-driven Q)

FWIIW, Andreas Kaufmann is pushing this toy on Facebook. :)

jaapv
09-18-2016, 02:04
How would you know? The accounts are no longer public and I doubt you are privy to anything on the inside.

Try the interview with Mr. Kaltner, DTS News Agency, Finanznachrichten. de:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.finanznachrichten.de%2Fnachrich ten-2016-04%2F36964723-leica-macht-rekordumsatz-expansion-im-smartphone-markt-geplant-003.htm&edit-text=

Or Handelsblatt, interview with Dr.Kaufmann and Mr. Kaltner:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.handelsblatt.com%2Fmy%2Funterne hmen%2Fhandel-konsumgueter%2Fleica-chefs-kaufmann-und-kaltner-alle-schiessen-keiner-guckt%2F13401586.html&edit-text=

Heckling only works if you know your facts...;)

giganova
09-19-2016, 12:25
I used an Instax camera at a wedding last weekend. The photos created a lot of laughters and people loved that they could see all the pictures in real time. However, the film format is simply too small to be useful in any way. Everyone was squinting, looking for their reading glasses; putting these tiny photos into a photo album is pointless. As it is, the small Instax format is nothing but a toy.

I wish Leica had waited a bit longer and used the Fuji Instax "wide" or "square" format that was just announced, which I presume is larger?

giganova
09-19-2016, 12:27

Who cares if Leica is profitable or not? There will always be a billionaire out there who would be ecstatic if he/she could "own" Leica and be the "savior of Leica". Mind you, this has happened before.

MikeMGB
09-19-2016, 14:18
I used an Instax camera at a wedding last weekend. The photos created a lot of laughters and people loved that they could see all the pictures in real time. However, the film format is simply too small to be useful in any way. Everyone was squinting, looking for their reading glasses; putting these tiny photos into a photo album is pointless. As it is, the small Instax format is nothing but a toy.

I wish Leica had waited a bit longer and used the Fuji Instax "wide" or "square" format that was just announced, which I presume is larger?

Not really, current is 62x46mm, the square will be 62x62mm.

GarageBoy
09-21-2016, 09:49
You rang?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/Desmolicious/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpseerg8kxf.jpeg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a249/Desmolicious/LomoLeica_zpskmnsywhp.jpg

That body is arguably more affordable than what Lomo charges for their LC-A

lxmike
09-21-2016, 09:54

:D:D:D:D:D:cool: