PDA

View Full Version : RFF Print Swap 20

Mauro
07-07-2016, 00:05
Dear RFF friends, here are the basic rules for the new Print Swap 20 – Summer 2016 edition:

1) prints should be sized around 8 x 10 inches
2) silver halide prints (for B&W) – lab prints (for colour) – inkjet prints are accepted; feel free to chose the print process that best represents your photographic work
3) after sign ups are closed, I will draw the names and post the list in this thread; each pair should try to mail the print within a week of notification
4) in case of a odd number of participants, one group will contain 3 names so that everyone is involved; if so, these 3 participants will make and mail 2 prints but they will receive 2 prints
5) please consider this is an international project: you may be paired with a pafrticipant from a far country, so be prepared to pay for international postage accordingly
6) sign up will close on July 17 2016: the names will be drawn and then I will notify everybody of their partners. If you have joined previous editions, please let me know who you have paired with and I will form aanother pair accordingly.

To sign up, PM or email me (mauphoto AT leonardo DOT it) wih the following data:
1) RFF user name
2) email address
3) real name and surnamde
4) mailing address
5) previous swap partners (if applicable)

As you can guess, the Print Swap is a great way for sharing òphotograprich knowledge and experiences (and for making freiends of course!): therefore it depends entirely upon the user participation. The more participants involved, the more fun and variety everybody has.
I do hope everything is clear, by the way do not hesitate to ask for any further question.

To Moderators: can this be made a sticky? Thanks :)

Santtu Määttänen
07-07-2016, 01:57
Amazing! I'll send you email with info later today. Which would be our deadline date? When to ship?

Mauro
07-07-2016, 02:56
Dear Santtu,
glad to read that you are joining this great project!
I think that prints should be mailed arount the end of July.
Please do not hesitate to ask for any additional information you may need.
Ciao!

Chriscrawfordphoto
07-07-2016, 03:18
I'm in. I just sent you an email, Mauro.

sojournerphoto
07-07-2016, 04:32
I'm in. PM sent.

Thanks MAuro

Mike

michaelwj
07-07-2016, 04:54
So does a B&W print have to be silver halide or did I miss read that?

sojournerphoto
07-07-2016, 05:42
So does a B&W print have to be silver halide or did I miss read that?

I think that inkjet is fine

michaelwj
07-07-2016, 05:47
I think that inkjet is fine

Cool. I'm in. Emailed details.

back alley
07-07-2016, 06:33
can we have more than a week to mail the print...i am behind about a week with things happening here at home.

Mauro
07-07-2016, 06:51
Of ocurse we can have more than a week for mailing the print: the deadline date mentioned in the rules is just a guideline. the paired mates can get in contact, informing each other about the mailing of their prints.
To Michaelwj: the print can be silver halide/lab/inkjet made, no matter the process.
We are encouraged to express our creativity.

I wish all the participants to enjoy this project!

Volver
07-07-2016, 07:14
i'm in. will send you an e-mail shortly.

mat5121
07-07-2016, 08:19
I'm in. Thanks!

Mauro
07-07-2016, 08:50
Dear RFF friends,
I am really happy to see such a great appreciation for this project: so many participants, and this is just the first day for signing up!
everybody is warmly invited to join us: you will enjoy it!

Mauro
07-11-2016, 07:15
Dear RFF friends, I kindly remind you that the sign up is open until next July 17 2016: you are more than welcome to this interesting project!
Please PM me your personal data, or send an email to mauroangelo AT cheapnet DOT it (please cancel my email address as mentioned above, as it is working bad lately)

Mauro
07-12-2016, 23:50
First bump: do not leave your favourite camera + lens combo sleep, join the Print Swap. Everybody is welcome!

Talus
07-13-2016, 08:35
Great project. Im in!

benji77
07-13-2016, 21:52
I'm in for my 2nd Print Swap!

Mauro
07-15-2016, 01:35
Another bump: come on, let's join this interesting project!

Talus
07-15-2016, 12:12
You can count me in for 2. My Honduran girlfriend has some photos that we could swap. It'd make more sense for us to send from the USA vs Honduras (probably wouldn't ever make it to the destination or be received in Tegucigalpa).

Papercut
07-15-2016, 17:46
I'm in too. Email will be on it's way in moments.

riverie
07-15-2016, 19:44
I'm in. Pm sent!!!

Mauro
07-17-2016, 13:54
Last call! For those still undecided, do not miss this fantastic experience. Join the Print Swap, and discover the world!

Mauro
07-18-2016, 05:22
Thanks to all RFF members who have signed up: within the next few days I will inform about the pairs for the Print Swap.
Meanwhile feel free to contact me for any additional enquiry.

Mauro
07-18-2016, 11:37
Dear friends,
Rangefinder
Papercut
571514m3
Riverie
bluknght
mothertrucker
benji77
Talus (2 participants)
rgeorge911
Plummerl
backalley
mat5121
volver
Vthokiee
Waileong
michaelwj
rybolt
chriscrawfordphoto
mrtoml
sojournerphoto
Santtu Määttänen
froyd
mauro

Within the next few days the participants will be paired and sent the respective exchange address.
Please feel free to ask for any additional information needed

Papercut
07-18-2016, 12:07
Nice. Thanks for all your work putting this together, Mauro!

back alley
07-18-2016, 12:11
for whomever gets me as a partner...if you'd like to choose the print i send instead of me choosing then feel free to look over my blog pics or flickr pics and let me know which you'd like.

zian
07-19-2016, 15:52
Shamefully I've missed this again.

Godfrey
07-19-2016, 16:38
Shamefully I've missed this again.

Same here. I put the original thread on subscription so I'd be notified, and then it wasn't used. Oh well.

G

zian
07-19-2016, 19:55
I guess we could just mail prints to each other and pretend we were in this from the begining, interested?

Godfrey
07-19-2016, 23:14
Yes, we could ... :-)

Mauro
07-20-2016, 08:06
Godfrey added to the list of participants; now waiting for the confirmation from Zian.
Participants will be paired soon (I hope to do it this evening)

Mauro
07-20-2016, 13:09
"Les jeux sont faits"!!
Pairings have been made and each of you is going to receive his partner's contact details to exchange the photo with.
Enjoy it!!

zian
07-20-2016, 13:13
Thanks Mauro! I appreciate you letting me join in late, much love.

Godfrey
07-21-2016, 16:00
Thanks Mauro! I received my pair info today.

A Question: Will there be an opportunity to see all the shared photos in an online gallery? It would be nice to see all the excellent work that will be shared in prints at some point.

G

Chriscrawfordphoto
07-21-2016, 16:51
Thanks Mauro! I received my pair info today.

A Question: Will there be an opportunity to see all the shared photos in an online gallery? It would be nice to see all the excellent work that will be shared in prints at some point.

G

We could just post them in this thread

Godfrey
07-21-2016, 17:35
We could just post them in this thread

That is certainly one option. I thought that a gallery might prove a nicer viewing experience, that's all. :-)

G

froyd
07-24-2016, 07:28
Just a suggestion, counter to the drive for instant gratification....

Could we leave it up to the receipts to post pictures of the prints that came in the mail?

That way the element of surprise in opening the envelope is retained.

froyd
07-30-2016, 14:56
Here is the print I received today all the way from Russia (I'm in the USA).

Thanks Volver, great image and print! And thanks again to Mauro for organizing this swap.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/6408/U6408I1469915515.SEQ.0.jpg

Santtu Määttänen
08-01-2016, 06:51
Here's a print I sent out to USA :)

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=104547&stc=1&d=1470059441

rgeorge911
08-03-2016, 04:11
Feeling embarrassed- swap update email went to my junk mail folder, and now I'm on vacation for two weeks. Will get a handmade darkroom print out to Santtu just as soon as possible. Apologies...

Godfrey
08-03-2016, 13:42
Just a suggestion, counter to the drive for instant gratification....

Could we leave it up to the receipts to post pictures of the prints that came in the mail?

That way the element of surprise in opening the envelope is retained.

Sounds good to me! :-)

Bluknight sent me this lovely photo taken in Morro Bay, California:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25268645/rff_print_swap-rick_jacobo.jpg

I mailed my print to him yesterday—I had a heck of a time finding document mailers, my local sources have all either gone out of business or discontinued them. It was faster to order a box of 25 from Amazon.

G

Talus
08-09-2016, 13:24
Cool! :cool:

Volver
08-10-2016, 14:13
Just received a print from Froyd (Federico).

Really gorgeous one! I will put it in a frame after coming back from vacation.
i'm still thinking which is better, vertical or horizontal?

https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8601/28613873790_a2ab2d7e63_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/KAvzMy)

sorry for quality of photo, it was Iphoned by my niece.

Talus
08-13-2016, 09:21
Looking good. Life has been hectic, but I got mine out this week. Keep sharing peoples!

Talus
08-18-2016, 03:45
Got one in from RangerFinder! Looks fantastic!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160818/55dc2427794b58275458b16b6cbc4353.jpg

sojournerphoto
08-18-2016, 04:16
Looking very good. I've just managed to get mine off to BackAlley, after a few hectic weeks. I'll leave it to Joe to post up pictures.

Mike

rgeorge911
08-19-2016, 06:34
I received a gorgeous print from Santtu. I don't really want to down-res his image and put it online so that I can include it in the post here - he's already put it in his previous message. Believe me, it's so nice.

And, I finally got his print off to him. Thanks, Santtu for being patient. I hope my print is worth the wait...

This has been great fun. Looking forward to future swaps.

Best,
Reed

back alley
08-19-2016, 07:32
i still have to mail mine...this weekend for sure!

Talus
08-22-2016, 13:35
And a special print from Benji came today all the way from Singapore. Unfortunately, it's addressed to my Honduran girlfriend, and she doesn't arrive in Connecticut for a few more weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing what's inside!

michaelwj
08-26-2016, 14:07
I received TWO(!) fantastic prints from Lawrence (Plummerl) in the mail yesterday. Both arrived in excellent condition from their voyage across the Pacific.

I will pick up some frames through the week and get at least one of them on the wall (we might have to rotate them).

Love the print swap

plummerl
08-29-2016, 17:11
I received TWO(!) fantastic prints from Lawrence (Plummerl) in the mail yesterday. Both arrived in excellent condition from their voyage across the Pacific.

I will pick up some frames through the week and get at least one of them on the wall (we might have to rotate them).

Love the print swap
I received Michael's (michaelwj) print today, and was very impressed! Image is terrific and very nicely matted. I will be able to get this framed up in no time! There was not a scratch or dent on the package. Thanks Michael! :D

froyd
08-29-2016, 17:59
Glad to see the happiness is still pouring in through people's mailboxes! Please share your treasures!

Talus
08-29-2016, 18:05
+1. Share'em!

plummerl
08-30-2016, 10:58
I received Michael's (michaelwj) print today, and was very impressed! Image is terrific and very nicely matted. I will be able to get this framed up in no time! There was not a scratch or dent on the package. Thanks Michael! :D

Here it is:
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8246/29235024592_b5e680d986_c.jpg

johnwolf
08-30-2016, 11:30
Makes me wish I'd participated. Alas, next time.

John

michaelwj
08-30-2016, 20:54
Makes me wish I'd participated. Alas, next time.

John

Next time indeed!

The pair I received from Lawrence (plummerl), thanks again.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffgallery/gallery/55701/U55701I1472615567.SEQ.0.jpg

Looking forward to the next one already...

Mauro
08-31-2016, 05:35
I have just received a wonderful print from my mate, I will share it soon!
I am glad to read that all of you liked this "project": I am thinking about a new edition around the end of this year.

Talus
08-31-2016, 09:26
Sounds great! Already in!

571514m3
11-04-2016, 10:30
What if we trial a print swap variation? We could use the same principle and print on heavy paper to then mail a postcard. Say limit size to 13*18cm. Especially with baryt paper this could accumulate some interesting patina in transit and become a rather special print? Also easier on time in terms of mounting, protecting etc. Is it worth a trial?

Santtu Määttänen
11-04-2016, 11:40
What if we trial a print swap variation? We could use the same principle and print on heavy paper to then mail a postcard. Say limit size to 13*18cm. Especially with baryt paper this could accumulate some interesting patina in transit and become a rather special print? Also easier on time in terms of mounting, protecting etc. Is it worth a trial?

I'm in, but would like more open size limit (let's say what ever your local post office allows as postcard as maximum. Also I might be tempted to try out shipping some traditional hand made print just to see how it survives :) In this trial I would like to see pictures of received prints here since they might be quite different and have lovely patina..

rfaspen
11-04-2016, 13:55
Sounds a lot like the RFF Postcard Project. I know I received plenty of cards with "patina" from the "postal process". Usually it ended up more as a detraction.

I very much regret not participating in the Print Swap, I know there are some great images coming out of RFFers and I like to keep images on my walls (I swap prints around over time).

My new resolution (in the voice of Capt. James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise):
Got. To. Make. Sure. To. Participate. in next. Print. Swap....

Godfrey
11-04-2016, 15:12
Even better than Post Cards that get beat up in the mail system ...

With a nod to the Magnum Square Print sales, "quarter page" - 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 inch prints work really well. It's a standard 'invitation letter' size so envelopes are easily available and cheap.

I've been producing both fold over and single sheet cards like this for many years now: they look great. Standard first class postage works, they survive the mail system well, and are beautiful despite being small. Like Polaroid prints, they have an aesthetic of their own and you can collect a lot of them without filling all the storage spots in your home.

G

571514m3
11-17-2016, 04:38
Today I received a surprising print in the mail. I love it and am off to the framer and will then hang it. It will be the subject of dinner party discussions.

This print swap was most enjoyable for a number of reasons. It was enjoyable for its ‘analog’ nature in the sense of not being instant, involving patience and the postal service, it required me to consider what to print and send, it ended up being a very nice exchange of hand written letters (we seem to love ink!), in my case a non-photography common interest with Mauro meant we both were in the same location at some time this year and could exchange thoughts on that other passion, all in all it was a real example of doing something special and different. Best of all, I ended up with two wonderful prints from people that I would otherwise have never met! I even found out that the mail to and from Italy takes 3 weeks while it takes only 6 days from the US – mysterious.

This is an example of how photography can transcend the ephemeral, distance and time. If Susan Sontag had the opportunity to revise ‘On Photography’ then I am sure the gratuitousness of endless snapping today, where oftentimes the action of photographing has become an end in itself, would lead her to write a chapter in its own right. She would also be harsh on the symbolism of much of the photographic record never even seeing the light of day, and mention the RFF community for sure.

Thank you all for being in this print swap! I will definitely be part of it next time.

PS> No idea why this attachment morphed into a thumbnail - apologies. It is a delightful photograph.

back alley
11-17-2016, 06:31
forgot all about this...wonder if my prints showed up?
not heard from my trading partner and have not sent him a thank you yet either...my bad!

Papercut
11-18-2016, 20:28
Today I received a surprising print in the mail. I love it and am off to the framer and will then hang it. It will be the subject of dinner party discussions.

This print swap was most enjoyable for a number of reasons. It was enjoyable for its ‘analog’ nature in the sense of not being instant, involving patience and the postal service, it required me to consider what to print and send, it ended up being a very nice exchange of hand written letters (we seem to love ink!), in my case a non-photography common interest with Mauro meant we both were in the same location at some time this year and could exchange thoughts on that other passion, all in all it was a real example of doing something special and different. Best of all, I ended up with two wonderful prints from people that I would otherwise have never met! I even found out that the mail to and from Italy takes 3 weeks while it takes only 6 days from the US – mysterious.

This is an example of how photography can transcend the ephemeral, distance and time. If Susan Sontag had the opportunity to revise ‘On Photography’ then I am sure the gratuitousness of endless snapping today, where oftentimes the action of photographing has become an end in itself, would lead her to write a chapter in its own right. She would also be harsh on the symbolism of much of the photographic record never even seeing the light of day, and mention the RFF community for sure.

Thank you all for being in this print swap! I will definitely be part of it next time.

PS> No idea why this attachment morphed into a thumbnail - apologies. It is a delightful photograph.

I'm so glad the print made it there safe and sound -- and so quickly too.

Your prints are above my desk in my home office, so they enjoyed on nearly a daily basis. Thanks!

Thanks too to Mauro for organizing this print swap. It was a lovely experience in every way.

paapoopa
04-26-2017, 23:06
just came across this print exchange project,
sounds really fun, will participate the next run if there is any.