PDA

View Full Version : Fix it or Buy New?

kmack
01-05-2006, 15:40
OK, the curtains on your IIIF have finally bit the dust, they have started to shed big time. The rangefinder mirror is separating so it should be fixed at the same time. Now, the cost of repairing the IIIF is about the same a buying a new Bessa R body.

What would you do and why?

pshinkaw
01-05-2006, 15:45
I would go and buy the Bessa, try it out for awhile but keep the Leica. If I didn't like the Bessa I would sell it (Hah! I haven't sold a camera since 1980!) and repair the Leica. If I liked the Bessa I would sell the Leica (same Hah!).

You can'r suffer from Seller's remorse if you keep everything.

-Paul

flashover
01-05-2006, 15:48
So far I think you should follow the results from the poll

Gabriel M.A.
01-05-2006, 15:50
I say you repair the Leica IIIf. Before you do that, though, you can get a Bessa-R. You will miss the feel of the Leica IIIf, though. Two very different bodies, but in the end, your Leica will have a higher resell value. I don't think this is a choice between the two. If you want a Bessa-R, I believe your choice should be when you put money into each. Trust me :D

je2a3
01-05-2006, 15:58
The Bessa R is a nice shooter and has a lot of modern features [parallax corrected framelines, TTL light meter and etc.] the Barnacks don't have. However if I were in your shoes I'd keep the IIIf and learn to DIY because the Bessa R won't accept collapsible lenses [makes it pocketable] or lenses with protruding rear elements [i.e. J-12]. On top of that there's a special "feel" to a Barnack....call me an anachronist but that's my take.

BTW, if the RF prism is intact you may just need a new beam splitter mirror. I posted a link in the Repair Notes forum (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15578) but my DIY experience so far has been with pre-diecast Leica II and FSU clones. However I think the procedure will be similar.

ray_g
01-05-2006, 15:59
I would buy a USED Bessa R for 1/2 the price of a new one. With the money I save, I would send the IIIF to David Yau (?) in Toronto (or Oleg, depending how much of a CSB you are ;) ), who has more reasonable rates than most of the usual suspects.

back alley
01-05-2006, 16:04
ray knows...

ray_g
01-05-2006, 16:19
ray knows...

Yep. Sell the IIIF (hopefully before it fully conks out), add the budget for the Bessa R, and get a Canon P ;)

back alley
01-05-2006, 21:34
Yep. Sell the IIIF (hopefully before it fully conks out), add the budget for the Bessa R, and get a Canon P ;)

the man is a genius!

:)

Film dino
01-06-2006, 08:47
I think long-term value would be to get the IIIf back up to spec. But if you want a Bessa as well, why not? Two bodies are always better than one...

Stanton
01-06-2006, 08:51
Two bodies are better than one. Unfortunately, perhaps, I have come to the conclusion that 4, or 8, or . . . are even better.

FrankS
01-06-2006, 09:15
Buy a used Bessa R to use while the IIIf is being repaired by David Yue or Oleg.

Solinar
01-06-2006, 09:33
There is a David Yue who repairs classic cameras? Interesting, do tell more.

With regards to the IIIf, I'd get it fixed and get a second Bessa R or better yet the monstrousity known as a Canon 7. The Canon 7 is cheap and has a wider RF base than the Bessa R.

In truth it has been hard for me to become accustomed to a larger camera, after using a IIIf with a collapsible 50. Even with a 35/3.5 Summaron and external viewfinder it is smaller than most other RF shooters that I've used.

ray_g
01-06-2006, 09:35
Or a used Bessa T, to keep things more "uniform."

ray_g
01-06-2006, 09:39
http://harrysproshop.com/Yau/yau.html

Link courtesy of (our) Dave (dcsang)

kmack
01-06-2006, 10:15
Buy a used Bessa R to use while the IIIf is being repaired by David Yue or Oleg.

That's the direction I am leaning. But I am finding that used R's are rather hard to come by and the prices are not that much cheaper than buying new. The Hunt is on.

I would buy a USED Bessa R for 1/2 the price of a new one. With the money I save, I would send the IIIF to David Yau (?) in Toronto (or Oleg, depending how much of a CSB you are ), who has more reasonable rates than most of the usual suspects.

Fired off an e-mail yesterday to David to see if I could get a quote, still waiting to hear from him.

ray knows...

Ok, I get it, you guys like the Canon P's...geez :D

Brian Sweeney
01-12-2006, 14:00
Peanut Butter tastes good, has lots of iron, is cheap, and will sustain you for years.

kmack
01-12-2006, 14:07
Thanks all.
The decision has been made.
It answer is: 3 Both. (Maybe 4 if you are picky about semantics)

I purchased Sockeyed's (Thanks Ben!) black Bessa R and it is currently braving the rigors of the Canadian and U.S. Postal systems.

The IIIF will get new curtains and a complete CLA as soon as the camera fund
can absorb the cost. The Leica is such a little gem, beat and battered as it is, I could not give it up.

OT: I love having a postal tracking number, you can check it several times a day and see in your minds eye your camera moving across the continents :D