PDA

View Full Version : Shoot Leica Exclusively? or alongside DSLR/Mirrorless, etc?

Ruffmeister
05-15-2016, 13:08
Quick question for you all.

Out of curiosity, anyone shoot Leica / Other Rangefinders exclusively?

I currently have a 5D, Fuji X and an M8 and I will be honest, since getting the M8, the others don't see as much use as they once did.
For me, the M8 delivers on colours and look. Be it the lens or the sensor I don't know. I'm using a 35mm Nokton 1.4 and a Cron 50mm v4. Since getting it before Christmas it's very often my go to along with a 35mm or MF film camera.

I'm now thinking M9 hence my post about sensor issues yesterday in the M9 section. The only thing I think I would miss from my Fuji X would be the ease of long exposures, and I guess those odd moments where you sometimes "need" AF. For the majority of what my photography style is, an M is perfect. I don't shoot sports nor wildlife, so something blisteringly quick isn't needed. I guess I could keep the X with a 35mm and sell the others. On a crop sensor I pretty much live at this focal length.

By selling the 5D, a couple of fuji lenses and the M8, I'd have a nice amount to front towards an M9. Although I think following some advice, I would get the M9 first and make sure all checks out. Im preferably looking for one with a replaced sensor. It's not a nice thought parting with a Leica :bang:

Curious to know if any have just gone down the M route exclusively. In a way I like the idea of having just one setup as in the past, I've found this often liberating. I do love the bokeh from the Canon FF. I just don't like lugging such a thing around when I'm out, which is why it's not used a lot.

InTheMist
05-15-2016, 13:47
My Leicas are pretty much for street photography, but some general photography too. I have a Nikon D810 and D500 because there are times when through-the-lens and autofocus are essential like action, multiple strobes and macro.

Doug
05-15-2016, 14:19
Not exclusively RF, I shoot dRF essentially interchangeably with dSLRs with similar focal-length primes. No "mirrorless". No film any more, but when I did, there was a different mind-set for smaller formats like miniature and half-frame. With those I would look for broad shapes and avoid dependency on detail and texture. Same now with lower-resolution digital.

Relevant to your concerns, I would be reluctant to go exclusively anything! Having both RF and SLR aids flexibility and versatility for different situations. And, further, I think switching off to different systems and focal lengths stimulates creative thinking... :)

shimokita
05-15-2016, 14:35
In most cases I carry both film and digital... this week its the MP/50mm and Acros 100 along with the X100T... it depends on the subject/location.

Casey

Chubberino
05-15-2016, 15:17
All sorts of tools for all sorts of scenarios.

jaapv
05-15-2016, 17:53
Why limit oneself to one system? Admittedly I tend to stay within the Leica fold, but a rangefinder as such covers only part of the photographic spectrum. Clunky macro and tele are not for everybody and a Visoflex has its own problems. The M240 is a far more universal tool.
Normally when traveling I will carry the M240 with focal lengths from 18 to 560 mm, and an NEX 7 as backup, plus an X2 as snapshot camera.
Before, with M8 and M9 I would use both the M and a DMR/R8. Horses for courses.
Having said that, as it happens today I was out shooting with my M6 +HP2Super and an X1 in my pocket (which I did not use).

Godfrey
05-15-2016, 18:36
I have a ton of cameras. But ...

I'm shooting mostly with Leica these days: Leica rangefinder (both film and digital capture), Leica point and shoot, Leica mirrorless, and Leica SLR.

I think that covers all the bases except for 6x6 and instant film ... :-)

G

michaelwj
05-15-2016, 18:55
I was just about to answer only Leica M, and then I noticed the FE sitting on the shelf.

So, I predominantly shoot Leica M. I suits what and how I shoot on a day to day basis.

But, when the need calls I'll use something else. I actually got the FE with a 3.5/55 micro Nikkor to shoot a marco project, I can't imaging the messing around I'd need to do to use my M6 for that. Likewise if I ever get the inkling to do some long lens stuff...

Henry
05-15-2016, 19:24
I keep a 5d3 for nature photography and my telephoto animal work. I keep an fm10 because I have a couple manual Nikon lenses and the fm10 is the first camera I ever bought, it has some emotional attachment.

Every tool has its use.

The rangefinder might be my favorite tool, though.

agoglanian
05-15-2016, 20:00
I eventually migrated almost entirely to Leica as my shooting "needs" have become much less diverse since "retiring" as a working pro. As I'm no longer shooting commercially and almost always just for myself, for personal work, I (currently) feel that the Leica M is my favorite tool for what and how I like to shoot. I didn't set out to "exclusively" shoot any one brand or another, but I like system cohesion and compatibility, which is why when I shot Canon for so long, I only used Canon, once I started playing around with mirrorless cameras things got all wacky and I wound up with way too many different options and systems.

I have lately been shooting more film than digital, but I have progressively curated my lens kit to be exactly what I need. I do have a Hasselblad kit but it's in need of a tune-up and I really only use it when I want to shoot something special. I also have a Ricoh GR which is still probably my favorite digital camera.

Now. If for some reason I wind up needing a slightly more diverse lineup then I will (reluctantly) sell my M240 and probably buy the Fuji X-Pro 2 (or whatever winds up meeting my needs the best). However my Film M bodies are here to stay. I genuinely wanted to like the Sony A7 system, but the camera bodies were just too uncomfortable in my hands.

Ruffmeister
05-16-2016, 00:14
Some good points raised here. I get the different tools for different occasions too.

I think I would keep the MF gear. I've found that I've enjoyed 6x7 and 6x6 formats over the last few months. I've often shot MF alongside digital pretty comfortably. Also I just enjoy using them. There's something about these mechanical film cameras that is very special. Especially when you're looking down into ground glass to compose.

It's more from a digital perspective that I was considering M to be more exclusively used.
I'm pretty certain I will sell the 5DC. I'm just not using it enough and its money that's just sitting there essentially.

I've seen some in the past, sell up their current setup and go M / Other rangefinder exclusively and after a year, have found themself with another DSLR setup or alternative. This is essentially down to what you shoot though I'm sure. Having used M for a while, I know what I'd expect from the system along with its limitations.

Michael Markey
05-16-2016, 00:24
Relevant to your concerns, I would be reluctant to go exclusively anything! Having both RF and SLR aids flexibility and versatility for different situations. :)

Very good advice.

grouchos_tash
05-16-2016, 01:12
I would be reluctant to go exclusively anything!

I have recently bought a Fuji X-T10 to go alongside my film cameras. I bought it mainly for holidays and photographing my niece.

On Saturday I took out a Yashica TLR to take on a walk with my wife and my X-T10 for when I called to see our niece on the way home :)

I have an M6 that I use the most, but I also have a Bessa R2a, Nikon FE, Nikon F80 along with the Yashica and X-T10 that all get used.

Nowhereman
05-16-2016, 01:36
Ruffmeister - as you say that you only shoot with 35 and 50 mm lenses, there is no reason not to use only an M9. My own preference is one camera, and I go out with mostly with only one lens, or with just one on the camera and another in my pocket — though most of the time I end up not changing lenses.

Now, I have an M9-P and an M-Monochrom, but I tend to shoot them in "binges," alternating the cameras every few months. The trouble is that a couple of months ago I shot film for the first time in ten years with my M6 — and, emotionally, I want to sell both the M9-P and the MM, but have not yet been able to do that because of the lack of a good scanning solution. While, I will never sell my M6, I want to end up using only one camera. Maybe I'll start by selling one of the digital Ms. Anyway, I feel strongly that one's photography is best if one shoots with one camera and stops fussing about cameras.

————————
Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine (http://www.burnmagazine.org/essays/2016/05/mitch-alland-alone-in-bangkok/)

:: Mark
05-16-2016, 02:53
You really need to be clear and honest to yourself what you want to shoot. If you understand this then the choice of camera and lenses should be a lot easier. Aside from image characteristics, ergonomics and haptics, it is also worth considering reliability and cost/security.

It is quite liberating to have only one camera / one lens, but which camera and which lens for me is very specific to what I intend to photograph on any given occasion.

FWIW, if I was only allowed one camera, it would be the GR. I like it better for street photography than the Leica, and I can shoot in places/situations where I might think twice about using a less discreet and more expensive camera.

ray*j*gun
05-16-2016, 03:50
Leica film RF's and an M8
Other film RF's eg Canon and Bessa and 2 FSU's
Film SLR's Nikon mostly
DSLR's Nikon
Fuji X100 (which I love)
Medium Format SLR, TRL and one scale focus RF

icebear
05-16-2016, 04:04
Yes. 56789

nickthetasmaniac
05-16-2016, 05:31
Almost...

I shoot almost exclusively with my M2 now, using my GR when necessary (mostly for work). I'm actually currently in the process of selling off the last of my Micro Four Thirds gear, which will leave me without a digital system for the first time in about a decade.

It's kinda nice to be honest :)

Ruffmeister
05-16-2016, 06:01
Great to hear some views on this. Appreciate your time.

Certainly some factors to consider. I think if a good M9 comes then I will potentially take the plunge over the M8 and keep the XT as an AF option when needed. At the moment it's not rush. I don't want to have a lot of gear surrounding me and as I said, the M works well for me currently.

jsrockit
05-16-2016, 06:29
I've left Leica behind for now. The cameras don't match how I currently photograph. However, I still think they make a hell of a camera. Excited for the possibility of a Leica Q with a 50mm lens.

narsuitus
05-16-2016, 06:36

No, I don't even shoot cameras exclusively.

taemo
05-16-2016, 07:08
For the past 10 months I was shooting exclusively with a M240 as only digital camera, however I decided to sell it and go back to Sony (A7R this time) due to a couple of reasons
-max 60 seconds long exposure
-big upfront cash to own and maintain one
-prefer film Leica more than digital Leica (traded my M240 for cash + 2 M4)
-tilting LCD screen convenient for landscape.

Ko.Fe.
05-16-2016, 07:16
-tilting LCD screen convenient for landscape.

Earl, I like your latest landscapes, was wondering where you have been not showing them for some time.

I currently have a 5D, Fuji X and an M8 and I will be honest, since getting the M8, the others don't see as much use as they once did.

Yes, I'm using rangefinders exclusively for my and only photography interests, needs.
I'm really pleased with M4-2. I want it in my bag and on me for every day.
I'm thinking of second M film body. To have one for bw, one for color.

Also, I've had 5D until March, switched to 5D MKII, also have 500D. Will continue to use these two reliable, high ISO capable DSLRs for simple, but important pictures where I need it to be well exposed under any light and in focus. :)

BLKRCAT
05-16-2016, 07:23
RF exclusive with the exception of Pentax 67 for bokeh goodness.

taemo
05-16-2016, 11:09
Earl, I like your latest landscapes, was wondering where you have been not showing them for some time.

Thanks Kostya! Been pretty busy with work so I haven't had much time to take some pictures.
Now that it's spring/summer now, I'm hoping to take more landscape pictures again.

Ruffmeister
05-16-2016, 12:02
As I'm no longer shooting commercially and almost always just for myself, for personal work, I (currently) feel that the Leica M is my favorite tool for what and how I like to shoot. I didn't set out to "exclusively" shoot any one brand or another, but I like system cohesion and compatibility, which is why when I shot Canon for so long, I only used Canon, once I started playing around with mirrorless cameras things got all wacky and I wound up with way too many different options and systems.

I genuinely wanted to like the Sony A7 system, but the camera bodies were just too uncomfortable in my hands.

I feel a bit like this. If I was shooting for others or commercially, then I would feel reluctant just using an M personally. I wouldn't have considered a digital M a year or so ago as I felt they were 'soul less' (if that's the right choice of word) compared to the film M's. I was wrong on that front and find them equally as fun to shoot with. I guess that's general skepticism until using one.

I have recently bought a Fuji X-T10 to go alongside my film cameras. I bought it mainly for holidays and photographing my niece.

On Saturday I took out a Yashica TLR to take on a walk with my wife and my X-T10 for when I called to see our niece on the way home :)

I have an M6 that I use the most, but I also have a Bessa R2a, Nikon FE, Nikon F80 along with the Yashica and X-T10 that all get used.

It's quite easily to have a few film cameras... I've certainly had a few pass my hands over the years. For me, film is mostly shot in 120 now and some 35mm occasionally.

Ruffmeister - as you say that you only shoot with 35 and 50 mm lenses, there is no reason not to use only an M9. My own preference is one camera, and I go out with mostly with only one lens, or with just one on the camera and another in my pocket — though most of the time I end up not changing lenses.

While, I will never sell my M6, I want to end up using only one camera. Maybe I'll start by selling one of the digital Ms. Anyway, I feel strongly that one's photography is best if one shoots with one camera and stops fussing about cameras.

————————
Alone in Bangkok essay on BURN Magazine (http://www.burnmagazine.org/essays/2016/05/mitch-alland-alone-in-bangkok/)

100% with you on having one camera when heading out. It's easy to fuss over what to use. I think it's why I've come to a conclusion to downsize some digital gear. It's a dead investment if things aren't being used. I won't sell my MF gear as it's just a completely different experience to 35mm.

I've left Leica behind for now. The cameras don't match how I currently photograph. However, I still think they make a hell of a camera. Excited for the possibility of a Leica Q with a 50mm lens.

The Q with a 50mm would be awesome! I really like the idea of the Q but 28mm FF just isn't a focal length that I would use all the time. I'm mostly 50mm.

RF exclusive with the exception of Pentax 67 for bokeh goodness.

Oh man, the Pentax 6x7 is a beast! I'm with you on the bokeh goodness. Really good lenses too.

gnome chompski
05-16-2016, 21:00
I shoot an M6, a Fuji X100T and a Canon 6D.

When I have my M6, I usually find myself wishing I had my X100T because of some weird light on the street. When I have my X100T, I find myself thinking my M6 would be better suited to the situation. When I shoot my Canon 6D and whatever zoom lens and flash is attached to it, I bitch and moan about how heavy it is :)

maggieo
05-16-2016, 21:05
My M9-P and Ricoh GR seem to bring out the best in me, but I get pretty good results with my EM-5mkII. Nothing feels as right as shooting with the Leica, though. I suspect it's just habit and muscle memory.

Darthfeeble
05-16-2016, 21:09
I'm about 70/30 for the Leica. I use my others for close up work and just to take them out now and again.

David Hughes
05-17-2016, 02:04
Hi,

Always had a RF from the late 60's onwards; first an Olympus-35 SP, then a Leica CL and an Olympus XA but that went back twice in rapid succession and so was replaced with the XA2. The CLE also went back after a film and a week and I got my CL, as it was still waiting at the dealer's for me.

Once digital appeared people went mad and a lot of nice little RF's went to charity shops and so I've had a lot of small RF's like the Konica C35, Olympus-35ED etc etc.

The youngest RF is the M9 (couldn't find one for a pound in the charity shops but there you are... ) but I've also had a MF alongside of them for serious work until I realised no one noticed the difference at the print stage and, of course, a Pentax, Minolta, Leica or Olympus SLR for obvious reasons; like the RF's being somewhat difficult at times for some shots and some lenses.

With hindsight based on 60 years of it; I'd say you need a small pocket camera and a RF and SLR. The small pocket camera I miss the most is the APS Contax Tix, the RF would be either the Leica CL or Minolta CLE and the SLR would be either the OM-2, R5, X-300 or ME super. Funny isn't it? They are all film cameras. Luckily I've got all of them except the Tix and CLE at present but I worry about repairs.

As for digital, I've yet to find a small pocket one with a decent prime lens but I'll stick with the E-3 and M9 for as long as possible and I keep the old Leica Digilux 2 going for the pleasure of using a sensibly designed camera; it's superior to the M9 in some ways...

Regards, David

ian_watts
05-17-2016, 04:26
I used Leica RF cameras exclusively for many years but have, in the last couple of years, switched to a DSLR for all paid work. Whilst I didn't have any problems using the Leica RF for the type of commercial work I was doing (it was sometimes an advantage), a DSLR now seems less restrictive and opens up the wider world of easy lens rentals and access to a much less expensive, still high quality, system. It also means I can use a longer lens with image stabiliser technology (IS has been a real eye-opener for me).

For all personal and 'project' type work – the stuff that interests me – I still use the Leica M system exclusively. Nothing else.

presspass
05-17-2016, 04:51
Mostly M film cameras for my own work and some for business. Just started shooting a IIIa recently. For newspaper work - yes, there are still some out there - digital Canon SLRs, mostly with zooms. It would be nice to shoot just Leica, but the newer digital rangefinders are too expensive and it would be tough to shoot high school football with a rangefinder. So, short answer, not all rangefinders.

MCTuomey
05-17-2016, 05:06
All sorts of tools for all sorts of scenarios.

yes to this - i'm practical and want the most reliable way to get the shot. actually been moving away from leica M, have sold lenses outside the 28-75 range, considering selling the rest. for me, leica m works best in a narrow range of shooting. it's becoming more an expensive pleasure than a photographic need.

jaapv
05-17-2016, 10:46
As for digital, I've yet to find a small pocket one with a decent prime lens

Regards, David
Leica X1 or X2.

ellisson
05-17-2016, 11:11
With so many fine cameras and lenses, I could never be restricted to Leica or RF cameras. Great tools made by Leica, but also by many others. There is something for everyone, and I'm always amazed at the variety and engineering of cameras and lenses. A trip around the various websites and forums shows this.

Godfrey
05-17-2016, 15:11
Leica X1 or X2.

The Ricoh GR-D is in this class too.
The Leica X typ 113 is a bit larger than pocket sized, but also in the class.

G

noisycheese
05-17-2016, 18:30

That would be me - I don't own any kind of cameras other than rangefinders. My M cameras are used 99% of the time, but my XPAN II and 45mm lens will be making the trip when I go to Ireland in June. I will get some Fuji Acros for it and use it for coastal landscapes. My M-P 240 will cover everything else.

BillBingham2
05-17-2016, 21:18
I'd say you need a small pocket camera and a RF and SLR. ......

+1.

For me it's a iPhone for my pocket camera.

I was most happy when I shot with both RF and SLR. While I love my Bessas and Leicas I loved the way my Nikon F (SLR) and S2 (RF) felt the same. I love RFs for up to 50mm, but SLRs just work better with 85s and up. While I was able to shoot with 135s on my M6, it just wasn't as "easy" as it was to use and SLR.

I find RFs more my general style, there are times that nothing but a 180 will do.

B2 (;->

bhop73
05-17-2016, 21:24
I'm kinda all over the place. I have film in my M6, but I also shoot a Rollei 35 now as my carry-around. I have a roll of film in a Nikon F4 at the moment, and the last time I went to an event, I used my F3. Before that was my F2, but that was a test roll since i'd just purchased it. I'm more of a "what mood am I in today?" kinda shooter.

David Hughes
05-18-2016, 02:28
Jaap and Godfrey,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them as soon as I've some spare cash and time. I sometimes think it's a great pity they invented the zoom lens. When the first small digitals appeared there were a lot with primes and all of 2 megapixels but they didn't seem to last. Yet they were very popular in the film world with a whole rage of them from every maker.

BillBingham2,

Thanks, I'd forgotten mobiles have cameras; mostly because I dislike them as they meant (a long, long time ago) that you couldn't get away from work and then had to carry a breeze block around with you as part of the punishment. The world would be a better place if people were forced to go for a walk without their phones at lunchtime...

Regards, David

Graeme Roy
05-21-2016, 06:29
Over the last few years I've use my iPhone a lot for so-called street stuff, but have also used the Sony a7s for about a year as well Nikon D800 with a bunch of primes. But my m240 has hardly left my hands since I got it in the fall, I'm really enjoying the slower process of shooting with the Leica.

brennanphotoguy
06-15-2016, 06:41
Since I don't do much actual work aside from selling a few prints and second shooting or assisting at weddings or commercial shoots I pretty much just use my Leica M3 because I just like the system. I love the lenses, I like the feel, I love rangefinder focusing and I love film. I shoot my Rollei a fair amount as well but usually not for day to day stuff. I also have a Yashica T4 and a Canon F1 laying around that never ever come out but I keep as backups.

Gregm61
06-15-2016, 06:52
Curious to know if any have just gone down the M route exclusively. In a way I like the idea of having just one setup as in the past, I've found this often liberating. I do love the bokeh from the Canon FF. I just don't like lugging such a thing around when I'm out, which is why it's not used a lot.

I put together a Leica M digital setup with thought, as needed I would use it alongside my Olympus E-M1 outfit, like take an M9 or M262 with a 35mm Summicron somewhere like the Arboretum to shoot landscapes, with the E-M1 and 40-150 to do closeups.

As it's turned out, the only place the E-M1 has been the last three months is in it's bag, in the closet, with little hope of getting out anytime in the near future.

robert blu
06-15-2016, 08:13
M7 and X1 from Leica here + Polaroid (SX70 and 600) and Impossible I-1, and Nikon (mainly FM2T), sometimes my old Rolleiflex and the Zeiss Super Ikonta when I'm in the mood for medium format...
robert

eujin
06-17-2016, 14:37
I shot with Canon for years. Then I picked up Fuji's X cameras and my 5DIII sat on a shelf for a year. So I sold all my Canon stuff and went all Fuji. I still have an X-Pro1, X-E2 and XT-1 and a bunch of lenses. They see very little use these days, as I just prefer shooting my Leicas...M4-P for film, MM and M9 for digital.

Duane Pandorf
06-17-2016, 15:06
Since I only have a Leica M-E I guess that's what I shoot. Mostly with a 35mm lens.

Bill Clark
06-17-2016, 15:48
Shoot Leica Exclusively? or alongside DSLR/Mirrorless, etc?

I use Leica for black and white film

Canon DSLR for the rest.

ornate_wrasse
06-17-2016, 16:08
I do most of my serious shooting with my Nikon D700 as it offers so much more than what my Leica cameras can do (telephoto, macro, autofocus, low light capability). However, it is a heavy camera (at least to me) and when I want to carry a light camera and/or for street photography, I'll use my Leica M9 which I really like to use. My Leica film cameras (M3 and M6) aren't getting much use these days. I recently bought a Fuji X-Pro 1 because I wanted to try a mirrorless camera. Haven't used it very much yet, though.

leica M2 fan
06-17-2016, 17:18
Earl, I checked your entries on tumblr and the are so good I am following you there.
I thoroughly enjoyed your subject matter and how they were composed and shot.
Excellent stuff!

Fjäll
06-17-2016, 17:33
I've got quite the selection to choose from when it comes to cameras but I still reach for my Leica. I might get a 50mm Summicron to compliment my 35mm but I don't think I really need much more.

x-ray
06-17-2016, 17:57
Nikon and Leica M film gear in 35mm.

If you like your D5 there's a chance you'll not like an M9. I owned one and tried to love it for a couple of years. In the end after constant problems I dumped it. Despite the problems and if it had worked as it should using it was like stepping back to the Nikon D1 that I owned in the early 2000's. When it worked image quality was excellent but no better than the Canons and Nikons I've owned and currently own. Matter of fact the M9 has a very limited dynamic range by current standards, it's as slow with a very shallow buffer comparable to the D1 Nikon I had and the LCD is about as bad as the D1 also. Reliability was terrible. It was like stepping back to the D1 in features and speed but not as dependable although better images.

noisycheese
06-18-2016, 14:58
Shoot Leica Exclusively? or alongside DSLR/Mirrorless, etc? I shoot with my Leica M-P 240 about 95% of the time. My other cameras are an M4-P, a Hasselblad XPAN II with the 45mm lens, a Rollei 35 SE and a Nikonos V.

I do not own a DSLR and don't really see myself buying one down the road. I have zero interest in pad or phone based photography.

There's just something about the M camera system...

Ruffmeister
06-19-2016, 01:28
Great to see this thread getting more replies as times goes on :)

I went out shooting with an X-T and M8 yesterday and most of the time shot with the M8.
I found that you soon get accustomed to the M, and when switching to use the X, the bells and whistles end up becoming a little frustrating. I know you can treat it like a manual camera but it just doesn't work/feel the same - personally not for me anyway.

I'm partly thinking of sinking my Fuji kit for an M9. I'm pretty certain I could use the M9 for pretty much everything I shoot.

I think a 1 camera 1 lens situation is a good idea. It can certainly help work more towards your photography. Depending on what you're shooting, an M understandably wouldn't suit everyones needs in their work.

Ko.Fe.
07-26-2016, 11:42
How are the 5D files comparing to M8 files after you have used M8 for some time?

Ronald M
07-26-2016, 12:15
Leica M Digitals and Nikons, for me.

Mirrorless is another fad. Looked at a few some time back and it was like seeing television from 6 inches. Plus the time lag. Yuch

Godfrey
07-26-2016, 13:00
... The world would be a better place if people were forced to go for a walk without their phones at lunchtime...

I don't know about being forced, but I agree the world would be a better place if more people put down their phones and txt messaging for a while every day and remembered to look around a bit more of the time. I see so many people with their nose stuck into a phone lately ...

G

brennanphotoguy
07-26-2016, 13:15
I don't know about being forced, but I agree the world would be a better place if more people put down their phones and txt messaging for a while every day and remembered to look around a bit more of the time. I see so many people with their nose stuck into a phone lately ...

G

Because we are all playing Pokemon Go.

giganova
07-26-2016, 13:32
I've always stayed within the same infrastructure for a) cost reasons (no need to duplicate lenses for multiple systems), b) for familiarity, and c) because I can do with one system all I want to do. I used to exclusively shoot with Leica Rs in the 80/90s, then switched to digital Nikons, then made the switch back to film using Nikon (love the AI-S lenses), and now I am exclusively using the M system because it is future proof: I can add a digital M further down the line and use my existing (stellar) Leica M lenses on both film and digital Ms.

I would only be tempted to have multiple systems if I'd shoot with different sensor formats (35mm and medium or large format).

giganova
07-26-2016, 13:38
One other point:

I find simplicity and limitations extremely liberating. That's why I find shooting B&W film on fully mechanical Ms so appealing. Sure, if I had a DSLR, I could do different things (e.g., shoot in low-light conditions or with long lenses), but that wouldn't make me better as an artist.

When I had a Nikon D810 with an all-round zoom lens, I missed a lot of interesting scenes because the camera was so big & heavy that I didn't have it with me at all times. My M is aways in my pocket and ready to shoot. I don't even have to turn it on! :)

Ruffmeister
07-27-2016, 10:55
As far as 35mm now goes, I shoot Leica. All my Fuji X gear has gone and at the moment I am not missing it.
I got really hooked with the digital M and for pretty much all my photography, it fits the bill. The simplicity of it is just great in my view.

I may hop to a DSLR at some point if some paid work comes my way to which I ideally would have something with AF but as far as personal shooting goes, the M is spot on.

rfaspen
07-27-2016, 12:10
I knew I wasn't alone.
Love using my Leicas. Just enjoy the experience. But, I've got a selection of gear oriented toward various specific needs (macro, wildlife telephoto, rapid action sports, etc.), as well as my remaining love of film. So it goes like this.

Prefer Leica M's both digital (M9) and film (M2, M3). Hoping I could fix my M6 as that would be my main film shooter, but.... Leica get 80% of my attention

Macro and telephoto digital goes to my micro4/3 system. Especially now that I can adapt the many, many, lenses I have from other systems. I dislike the x2 crop factor though.

Macro and telephoto film goes mostly to my extensive Nikon assemblage (extensive). Also have Rollei SL35 (used to have the SL2003) and Olympus OM in 35 film. Lenses make the day.

Occasional 35 film with point and shoots (T2, XA, Rollei35, even the old Hi-matics and Olys)

And then I still feel compelled to occasionally dig out the medium and large format gear. Rolleiflex and Yashicamats. Folders. Finicky Bronica. Really like my NOS Crown Graphic (and the 6x7 back). Even have a view camera or two. Those see very little use these days.

Oh, and then the stereo cameras. The mini 16mm spy cameras. The fun-to-use box cameras. No more Polaroid! Done with that.

I have a problem :o

jjabad
07-27-2016, 13:17
I use both the Leica and my DSLRs. The Leica is my every day carry for photographing street stuff, personal work, travel. Even though I barely touch my pair of 5D III, I still photograph events like weddings. I even have a Ricoh GR that was my go-to, but I never touched that thing since I picked up the M9. I feel bad, its such an awesome camera!

sepiareverb
07-27-2016, 13:42
Lots else. Besides the M6, 7, 9, MP and Monochrom: a Ricoh GR, Contax G2, T2 & T3, Nikon 28 Ti, Pentax 67, Rolleiflex, Hasselblad SWC, Bessa 667W, Canham 810 and an old Kodak 1114. And a Leica 0 series.

Seems I mostly like to look through the lens with a view camera.

marko.oja
07-27-2016, 13:49
I shoot anything as long as it gets me the images I need.

sepiareverb
07-27-2016, 18:23
And my iPhone 5C. Used mostly as a camera btw.

Papercut
07-27-2016, 18:50
I use Leica, dabble in TLR-land with an Autocord, happily shoot a humble Oly Trip 35, and make slow paced images with even more humble pinhole cameras (some homemade).