PDA

View Full Version : Sartorial Preferences of a Leica Man? Just for grins...

dave lackey
05-07-2016, 13:45
Summer has finally arrived in The Deep South!

A Leica Man does not let 100F heat and oppressive humidity stop him from shooting. So what does a Leica Man wear? While shopping for summer clothes the other day, this question arose in my mind and I had no answer. So I did nothing but look. I hope to get the sartorial considerations settled soon as I have a couple of road trips planned.

After considering the needs for comfortable clothing, I have a few thoughts.

Shirts. Forget the T-shirt, I was wondering about loose fitting linen shirts. Has anyone tried those while out shooting? Long sleeve?

Shorts. Maybe but it gets downright irritating when dropping to a knee to shoot with shorts on. Levi's seem to still work best. Any thoughts?

Shoes. I am leaning toward Sperry boat shoes for a change.

Bag. Domke Ruggedwear gets my attention, not my black Billingham... for obvious reasons.

Hat/cap. A nice summer-weight flat cap works best for me.

Gear. Special needs like ND filters and such along with a towel or a wet bandana (Cooldana) and a water bottle.

Fun stuff. My 2wt. Orvis Fly rod in an 18" tube with compact fly case and such in a separate bag for therapy along the way.😃
Anything else?

Just curious, whilst stuck in the house this weekend... what are your considerations?😃

michaelwj
05-07-2016, 14:19
Dave,
You should know not to lower your dress standards for heat (or a riot (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1468660/Henri-Cartier-Bresson.html)), however on a hot and humid day you can leave the waistcoat at home, and you suit can be lightweight. :D

Baipin
05-07-2016, 14:24
I always wear a light linen shirt with roll-up sleeves; breathable when you need it, but the sleeves are nice when it gets cooler as the sun goes down, or as the mosquitoes come out. In my personal experience, I find shorts a hassle if you're kneeling a lot. Cotton or linen joggers are my go-to. Either way, whatever the weather - winter or summer - I always wear a good pair of high-top sneakers. Leather Converse are nice and rugged, and they won't break the bank (which the Leica probably already did). ;-)

charjohncarter
05-07-2016, 14:25
Watch William Eggleston on 'You Tube.'

maggieo
05-07-2016, 14:51
Y'all need long-sleeve, white, linen shirts. Unlined linen, seersucker or light cotton long trousers. Seersucker jacket when needed, make sure you have a silk or cotton pocket square. A small silk bow tie, in a lighter color (no patterns, save small polka dots) for times when a tie is appropriate.

Thigh-high socks and either Clark's Desert Boots or plain Oxfords in either fabric or smooth leather.

Remember, you are a Gentleman and should always carry yourself as such. Avoid excessive fripperies. Wrap your extra lens in a silk scarf and keep it in your Seersucker jacket's pocket or your trousers' pocket. If you are using larger format gear, get a bag that will hold a tripod and carry only that.

squirrel$$$bandit
05-07-2016, 15:44
I'm usually wearing Levis 514's, a short-sleeved western shirt, pastel colored socks, and a pair of Adidas Sambas or some boat shoes. Current hat is a pink ball cap with the word DETROIT embroidered on it, and my present bag is a Filson Small Field Bag that I just treated with some wax I got with a Domke bag.

squirrel$$$bandit
05-07-2016, 15:44
Y'all need long-sleeve, white, linen shirts. Unlined linen, seersucker or light cotton long trousers. Seersucker jacket when needed, make sure you have a silk or cotton pocket square. A small silk bow tie, in a lighter color (no patterns, save small polka dots) for times when a tie is appropriate.

Thigh-high socks and either Clark's Desert Boots or plain Oxfords in either fabric or smooth leather.

Remember, you are a Gentleman and should always carry yourself as such. Avoid excessive fripperies. Wrap your extra lens in a silk scarf and keep it in your Seersucker jacket's pocket or your trousers' pocket. If you are using larger format gear, get a bag that will hold a tripod and carry only that.

HAHAHAHAHA 👍

nasmformyzombie
05-07-2016, 15:51
...Current hat is a pink ball cap with the word DETROIT embroidered on it...

Pink? :eek:

dave lackey
05-07-2016, 16:00
I'm usually wearing Levis 514's, a short-sleeved western shirt, pastel colored socks, and a pair of Adidas Sambas or some boat shoes. Current hat is a pink ball cap with the word DETROIT embroidered on it, and my present bag is a Filson Small Field Bag that I just treated with some wax I got with a Domke bag.

Hmmm... I have the same wax but never used it on the Domke bag...
How did you put it on and do you like the result?

dave lackey
05-07-2016, 16:05

Matlock!!!:p

squirrel$$$bandit
05-07-2016, 16:16
Pink? :eek:

Indeed, my favorite clothes color!

Hmmm... I have the same wax but never used it on the Domke bag...
How did you put it on and do you like the result?

I wasn't sure why they shipped it with the Domke bag, as it was already waxed! But it feels interesting on the Filson, and it does indeed repel water, and it has made the canvas seem a little more dark and broken in. I like it.

SolaresLarrave
05-07-2016, 18:42
Jeans, or chinos (khaki) or cargo pants (extra pockets), short sleeve cotton shirts or t-shirts, polo shirts for cool weather, serious walking shoes (Mephisto) and a small Domke bag (FX5B, preferably). No head gear. It gets in the way.

Any Leica M around the neck, with a 35mm lens and a yellow filter on it. A spare body or spare lenses and extra film on the bag... With money in my pocket I'm ready for the day! ;)

Henry
05-07-2016, 19:34
Hiking/tech chino style pants, tshirt, and sneakers. Maybe a light blazer in the fall. It's the digital Leica look.

Jeans in the summer in the south is just crazy talk, the fashion equivalent of letting your camera warm up on the dash of your car.

rscheffler
05-07-2016, 19:56
Lol, yeah, I couldn't imagine wearing jeans in that kind of weather either.

I just spent a couple weeks in Taiwan where it was typically nearly 30˚C with high humidity. I had a few 'technical' hiking-style breathable pants in the rotation. The one I liked best was the Ferrosi pants by Outdoor Research (http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens-ferrosi-pants.html). IMO they look good without being too 'technical' and are extremely comfortable with great stretch and breathability. The fabric has an interesting fine texture to it. Probably something to do with increasing surface area to speed evaporation and for a comfortable feel against the skin (whereas some nylon fabrics feel like they're going to stick to you). At times it almost felt like I wasn't wearing pants at all. :)

I also had a Ferrosi jacket along that worked out really well too (though is not water resistant/proof).

For shirts... I guess for me what's most important is the shirt I'm wearing under the shirt. In the case for Taiwan, it was Uniqlo AIRism (http://www.uniqlo.com/us/men/airism.html) T-shirts under a variety of button up casual shirts or polos, all in lighter materials, whether cotton, synthetic or linen. The AIRism shirts felt cool against the skin and never got wet/clammy from perspiration the way cotton can. The next alternative IMO would be lightweight marino wool, but those get pricy from the name brands, whereas the AIRism Ts are only ~$10.

peterm1
05-07-2016, 19:59
Any of the clothing styles shown here would do nicely:

https://au.pinterest.com/peterm1001/my-favorite-fashion/

Greyscale
05-07-2016, 20:20
Nothing comes between me and my Leica. Nothing.

aizan
05-07-2016, 21:51
shoes
white canvas: sperry cloud cvo or keds champion cvo
white bucks: bass buckingham, sid mashburn, or brooks brothers
moccasins: quoddy bluchers

socks
white crew: maggie's organics or wigwam king cotton crew

pants
chinos: bill's khakis m1, jack donnelly

belts
surcingle: j. press
canvas d-ring: strait city trading co.

shirts
white linen: orvis
madras: o'connell's

hat
go all the way with a boater hat, ha!

Brian Atherton
05-07-2016, 23:48
When carrying my Leica, and being the man abaht town wot I am, pale blue shirt with a white collar, maroon silk tie, three-piece chalk stripe suit, bowler hat, black Oxfords though I find juggling my camera and bag whilst carrying a rolled-up umbrella a bit of a hassle. :o

Dralowid
05-08-2016, 01:26
When carrying my Leica, and being the man abaht town wot I am, pale blue shirt with a white collar, maroon silk tie, three-piece chalk stripe suit, bowler hat, black Oxfords though I find juggling my camera and bag whilst carrying a rolled-up umbrella a bit of a hassle. :o

I too wear a suit but find the trousers a little tight under the armpits...

Keith
05-08-2016, 01:38
HCB in 1947 ... smart, dapper and sophisticated! :)

http://m.blog.hu/ma/maimanohaz/image/onarckepek/henri-cartier-bresson_new-york-1947_640w.jpg

fergus
05-08-2016, 01:44
If it's wet & cold enough for an umbrella, I think I deserve an occasional nip. Briggs make many fine umbrellas, including one ideal for these conditions; the malacca handled edition complete with concealed flask. :)

http://www.swaineadeneybrigg.com/store/brigg/gentlemans-umbrellas/malacca-flask

KM-25
05-08-2016, 01:44
100 degrees *and* humid?

I would be wearing one of those greenish blue colored hospital gowns because that is where I would likely be in that heat. I'm a 100% polar bear / mountain man, it snowed today where I live.

ChrisPlatt
05-08-2016, 01:57
I picture the typical Leica owner wearing a top hat, monocle, white gloves, spats, and a cane.

Or is that Mr. Peanut?

Chris

squirrel$$$bandit
05-08-2016, 04:22
My favorite warm-weather non-jean is the Outlier Slim Dungaree (can that be a singular??). Made in the USA!

http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/slim-dungarees.html

jaapv
05-08-2016, 07:34
A Leica Man can only be seen outside wearing a http://www.rogue.co.za/index.php/com-virtuemart-menu-products/headwear/604-airhead-304d in warm weather.
The colour "Olive" is only acceptable when using a Safari edition camera, all other models require "Sand".

jaapv
05-08-2016, 07:40
I'm usually wearing Levis 514's, a short-sleeved western shirt, pastel colored socks, and a pair of Adidas Sambas or some boat shoes. Current hat is a pink ball cap with the word DETROIT embroidered on it, and my present bag is a Filson Small Field Bag that I just treated with some wax I got with a Domke bag.Do you sell fish, Sir?:D

Jockos
05-08-2016, 08:21
Shirts. Forget the T-shirt, I was wondering about loose fitting linen shirts. Has anyone tried those while out shooting? Long sleeve?

Shorts. Maybe but it gets downright irritating when dropping to a knee to shoot with shorts on. Levi's seem to still work best. Any thoughts?

Loose linen shirts are great! I survived Jerusalem last summmer, thanks to loose fitting covering clothes. Shirts, chinos and a wide brim panama fedora to top it of. The hat is super important.
For shoes, I always wear leather and someone always asks me if it isn't hot. Anything I wear in 20+ C is hot for med I'm a viking goddamnit. But it's good at wicking away sweat and protects well.

hlockwood
05-08-2016, 08:41
A Leica Man can only be seen outside wearing a http://www.rogue.co.za/index.php/com-virtuemart-menu-products/headwear/604-airhead-304d in warm weather.
The colour "Olive" is only acceptable when using a Safari edition camera, all other models require "Sand".

My Tilley is sand in summer; olive in winter. Both worn for UV protection.

HFL

rybolt
05-08-2016, 10:15
Here in Ohio the photographers wear a John Deere cap, backwards, but only after Memorial Day.

Pfreddee
05-08-2016, 10:17
Bell-bottom trousers and coats of Navy blue.:D

With best regards.

Pfreddee(Stephen)

farlymac
05-08-2016, 11:08
Peter O'Toole would be my inspiration for sartorial hints. Now if I only looked that good...

PF

newsgrunt
05-08-2016, 13:17
Eddie Bauer long sleeve poplin shirt with button down collars, light blue. or similar style shirt. has to be cotton so it gets suitably wrinkled.

jeans. have to be scruffy and if it has strategic holes or wear (think brassing) in usual spots etc. bonus points. leather belt but no silver buckle.

redback boots. this is the only option unless they're timberland workbooks. ok, so RedWing boots are fine as well

if weather is cool. a barn coat or similar type work jacket with patch pockets. think Duluth or Carhartt.

Daryl J.
05-08-2016, 13:43
Allen Edmonds Strands in Walnut and french blue laces using an alternative lace pattern. People find them friendly for some reason and smile. And comment.

dave lackey
05-08-2016, 14:38
Allen Edmonds Strands in Walnut and french blue laces using an alternative lace pattern. People find them friendly for some reason and smile. And comment.

Strands look nice... Walnut and jeans?

Henry
05-08-2016, 14:45

HFL

I have a Tilley hat which I wear year round, a good hat is really required gear for people in the southern half of the US. A full brim beats constant sunburn or worse!

burancap
05-08-2016, 15:05

A Leica Man does not let 100F heat and oppressive humidity stop him from shooting. So what does a Leica Man wear?

Deep South, Dave. I have my jorts and tank ready to go!

jaapv
05-08-2016, 15:27

HFLTilley hat - in some circles that ends to give away your nationality...:p

maggieo
05-08-2016, 15:50
I know you're all wearing cargo shorts, Hawaiian shirts and baseball caps.

Wait. That's my husband.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2814/12581121045_1a871d4663_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/kaKwY6)
Oh No, Volcano! February 15, 2014 (https://flic.kr/p/kaKwY6) by Maggie Osterberg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mediawench/), on Flickr

michaelwj
05-08-2016, 23:24
The glasses tie it all together!

someonenameddavid
05-09-2016, 07:28
I have a Leica M3 and prefer to wear clothes rather than go naked

Henry
05-09-2016, 07:29
I have a Leica M3 and prefer to wear clothes rather than go naked

Obvious lies

zuiko85
05-09-2016, 07:37
I'm over 6'2" with a big gut, bad back, baggy eyes and jowls and developing monks cap baldness. If I dress up a bit there is no improvement.

willie_901
05-09-2016, 08:28
Seriously... no jeans in the summer months.

Very inexpensive light weight olive or dark tan cargo pants will get the job done.

jsrockit
05-09-2016, 09:19
jeans, sneakers, and t-shirt. Oops, I don't own a Leica anymore.

Tony Whitney
05-09-2016, 09:29
Of course, the really serious Leica street photographer wears a Leica logo golf shirt with the logo covered up with electrical tape.

maggieo
05-09-2016, 09:39
Leave it to a Swede to get everything just right!

Looking good!

squirrel$$$bandit
05-09-2016, 09:40
A good look, Jockos! Lovely to see the famous white sand beaches of Sweden as well

Soeren
05-09-2016, 10:10
Nothing comes between me and my Leica. Nothing.

The nude photographer :D

noisycheese
05-17-2016, 18:50
For me, it's as follows -

Shirts: Light gray or ivory colored T-shirt, always.
Shorts: Always. I carry a 6x6 in square of gardener's knee pad for kneeling on sidewalks, etc.
Shoes: Low top hiking shoes or Teva sandals.
Bag: Tan Billingham Hadley Pro, Tan Domke F5XB or F802.
Hat/cap: Ivory colored Tilley T3 or ivory colored baseball cap.
Gear: Special needs like ND filters, microfiber cloth, horse hair lens brush, pen, 5x7 writing pad, postcards with my contact information and website URL and a water bottle.
Fun stuff: My Chris Reeve Sebenza 25, which goes with me everywhere and a book of haiku for reflection and inspiration.

Tom Niblick
05-30-2016, 22:41

A Leica Man does not let 100F heat and oppressive humidity stop him from shooting. So what does a Leica Man wear? While shopping for summer clothes the other day, this question arose in my mind and I had no answer. So I did nothing but look. I hope to get the sartorial considerations settled soon as I have a couple of road trips planned.

After considering the needs for comfortable clothing, I have a few thoughts.

Bag. Domke Ruggedwear gets my attention, not my black Billingham... for obvious reasons.

Gear. Special needs like ND filters and such along with a towel or a wet bandana (Cooldana) and a water bottle.

Fun stuff. My 2wt. Orvis Fly rod in an 18" tube with compact fly case and such in a separate bag for therapy along the way.😃
Anything else?

Just curious, whilst stuck in the house this weekend... what are your considerations?😃

Here in the really, really deep south (22N,159W) summer sees me change from a T-shirt to a light tank, shorts are the same ones I wear in winter though are often replaced with a light swim trunks, my winter sandals are the same too, as is the hat that covers the bald spot that I can not see but sunburns just the same.
Other than an orange filter, my MM goes naked. If I'm going to a picnic, I'll take my M9 wearing a 35 and a 90 in an old green Domkie F5B.
Jobs require chinos, an aloha shirt and my best sandals (slippahs). My S2 and my Monochrom ride in a Filson. No hat but I might shave.

thawkins
06-01-2016, 07:36
Texas Aggies tee shirt, maroon Texas Aggies ball cap, J.C. Penney shorts and comfortable walking shoes.

thawkins
06-04-2016, 20:24
Sear sucker suite, blue or red polka dot bow tie and a flat brimmed straw hat. Be sure to wear bucs not wing tips otherwise you will embarrass the entire Gulf Coast Bar Assn.

ernstk
06-04-2016, 23:18
My favorite warm-weather non-jean is the Outlier Slim Dungaree (can that be a singular??). Made in the USA!

http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/slim-dungarees.html

I liked the Outlier website. Thanks for the link.

squirrel$$$bandit
06-05-2016, 05:01
Hope you like the clothes!

ernstk
06-05-2016, 05:17
Hope you like the clothes!

I do! Only problem is I have to get them shipped to the UK...

Out to Lunch
06-05-2016, 09:05
I take most of my pictures in Saigon which has a tropical climate: 90F and humid. In this climate 'sartorial' goes out of the window real fast. My preferred attire: cotton broad rimmed floppy hat with air vents -the Tilley hat is great; quality sunglasses; thin cotton white shirt; cotton cargo shorts with lots of pockets which will hold my cash, phone, bike registration etc..., and Crocs flip-flops. If you stay outdoors the entire day, de-hydration is a main concern and you either get your fluids in the cafes or carry water with you.

hendriphile
06-05-2016, 11:19
.... basal cell....I've received WAY too much sun in my life.

I hear you. When I worked in a laboratory in South Florida (long before the days of electronic medical records), we kept individual patient visits for removal of basal cell carcinomas on index cards. It was not unusual to have a single patient with a pile of index cards half an inch thick for all the basal cell carcinomas that had been removed over the years. Be careful out there!

DougFord
06-05-2016, 16:16
...writes poems about 'pocket t-shirts'.

peterm1
06-05-2016, 17:16
So many nice clothes, so little wardrobe space to store them. Seriously folks apart from my addiction to cameras I have an addiction to nice clothes. Now that robes are full in three bedrooms and encroaching on my wife's closet space I am banned from buying more.

But seriously I am kind of attracted to the tweedy, preppy look. Goes well with Billingham bags and Leica M bodies.

dave lackey
06-05-2016, 18:18
So many nice clothes, so little wardrobe space to store them. Seriously folks apart from my addiction to cameras I have an addiction to nice clothes. Now that robes are full in three bedrooms and encroaching on my wife's closet space I am banned from buying more.

But seriously I am kind of attracted to the tweedy, preppy look. Goes well with Billingham bags and Leica M bodies.

Peter,

I do like that look, thank you for posting. I believe you can teach me a lot about nice clothes!:D

TXForester
06-05-2016, 19:53
Anything else?
Waders and boots, or do you wet wade?

TXForester
06-05-2016, 19:55
Texas Aggies tee shirt, maroon Texas Aggies ball cap, J.C. Penney shorts and comfortable walking shoes.
Yeah, but make mine a Stephen F. Austin tee shirt and Lumberjacks ball cap.

peterm1
06-06-2016, 01:36
Its a new take on the old adage the best advice for a photographer is "f8 and be there".... Its now "f8, be there and wear a hat". Very nice. I like it.

a Leica 'Man' ... hmmmmm

it's all about the Camera, which lens and a Hat in Summer
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3497/3853252931_de314822e9_z.jpg?zz=1 (https://flic.kr/p/6SuVRn)
MOI (https://flic.kr/p/6SuVRn) by Helen Hill (https://www.flickr.com/photos/helenartemishill/), on Flickr

dave lackey
06-06-2016, 02:06
Waders and boots, or do you wet wade?

Ah... With limited space on a motorcycle, no room for waders and boots. SUV will certainly handle that but logistics get whacked out with two other people along for the trip.

Not that I can manage the logistics very well on the first place...:rolleyes:

dave lackey
06-06-2016, 02:10
a Leica 'Man' ... hmmmmm

it's all about the Camera, which lens and a Hat in Summer
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3497/3853252931_de314822e9_z.jpg?zz=1 (https://flic.kr/p/6SuVRn)
MOI (https://flic.kr/p/6SuVRn) by Helen Hill (https://www.flickr.com/photos/helenartemishill/), on Flickr

I really do like that look, Helen!! When a Leica is strapped on, the hat is where it's at!

Leica MAN, or Leica woMAN. Words are inadequate, yet the right look, that says it all whilst being very practical. Thanks for that photo!:)

peterm1
06-06-2016, 03:10
Some nice shots here of famous people with cameras including Leicas. And some interesting sartorial choices.

http://anthonylukephotography.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/with-camera.html

ernstk
06-06-2016, 08:22
What the well dressed celeb is wearing...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/20/fashion/leica-cameras-favored-by-celebrities.html

Darthfeeble
06-06-2016, 14:49

One never puts something bulky in one's suit coat pocket!! Spoils the line, you know. A proper leather satchel of the shooter's choice is for carrying one's gear.

BlackXList
06-06-2016, 14:59
I'm stunned that nobody has suggested that this would be a popular outfit yet:

http://fscomps.fotosearch.com/compc/CLT/CLT006/km1833.jpg

Vince Lupo
06-06-2016, 15:04
I've found this to be a pretty good outfit, at least in New Mexico:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/2/1573/25132380976_014903b6c5_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/EhS2go)
Tortilla Vinny (https://flic.kr/p/EhS2go) by Vince Lupo (https://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/), on Flickr

Stormy Kromer waxed cotton hat, a $9.00 Baja sweatshirt (aka a 'drug rug'), $3.00 bandana, True Religion Ricky Baja jeans, John Fluevog 'Banker' boots. There's probably an Omega Speedmaster buried in there somewhere. Plus a bit of silver and turquoise for good measure :)

dave lackey
06-06-2016, 15:10
Looking good there, Vince!!':cool:

Vince Lupo
06-06-2016, 17:11
Yes I am a rare bird alright :)

Nope it's a rental.

dave lackey
06-08-2016, 04:28
Vince,

Just wondering if you still have the stylish bags. The last I remember was a cool Porteen bag. Any later bags to show us worthy of a Leica man?:)

Vince Lupo
06-08-2016, 11:42
Vince,

Just wondering if you still have the stylish bags. The last I remember was a cool Porteen bag. Any later bags to show us worthy of a Leica man?:)

I do still have the Porteen bag, but haven't used it in a while. The interior just doesn't work for me, though I love the look of the bag.

No, right now I've been using a boring Domke Waxwear F803. Not sure if the M-D is gonna fit in there though!

dave lackey
06-08-2016, 11:44
I do still have the Porteen bag, but haven't used it in a while. The interior just doesn't work for me, though I love the look of the bag.

No, right now I've been using a boring Domke Waxwear F803. Not sure if the M-D is gonna fit in there though!

Congratulations on that M-D!!! Love It!

Cannot wait to see the accessories including the bag you come up with.. Oh and the wonderful photos too!:)

dave lackey
06-08-2016, 11:47

At your suggestion I found this.., perfect for an M-D.

http://us.louisvuitton.com/eng-us/products/keepall-55-with-shoulder-strap-damier-infini-005272

tlwalker53
06-08-2016, 15:04
In that kind of humidity, bare bones evolution bag, lightweight washed chinos, long sleeve linen shirt, ecco suede loafers, and enough hat to cover the ears (usually an old panama or mesh panel boonie). Oh yeah, and a LOT of baby powder:)

seakayaker1
06-08-2016, 15:45
Hot weather - Baseball cap on backwards (note: sunscreen on top of ears and face, wife comes in handy when available to keep stuff off own hands), then a short sleeve shirt, usually a rayon or silk light weight (note: sunscreen on forearm and top of hands, once again the wife comes in handy), pair of shorts with cargo pockets (note: sunscreen on legs, again wife comes in handy), a great pair of socks and walking shoes/sneakers, I have been using Teva models for the past several years. I need to have good footwear or my dogs will start barking. I will carry a small mouse pad in my cargo pants on occasion to take care of the kneeling if needed. (fits in cargo pocket of shorts). For a bag I use a Artisan & Artist ACAM-7100 bag a lot but I also have recently been using a F-Stop Kenti backpack for walkabouts, this can be used with a hydration pack or carry a water bottle. I can also attach my lightweight Gitzo tripod if needed. Both can carry two bodies and lens with usual extra battery, memory card, lens cloth, etc. I also find the backpack more comfortable when out for longer periods since it is more comfortable to walk around with. Love the warmer weather but living up in the northwest it is not that long of a season compared to your part of the country Dave.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6113/6265870936_d7ed017772_z.jpg

sepiareverb
06-08-2016, 15:56
Pointer Brand painters pants if you are averse to the painters shorts.

rumbliegeos
06-08-2016, 17:04
Everybody has their own interests in aesthetics and style. I don't care about clothes, cars or watches, but I'm happy to invest in things like photographic equipment (of course), travel, concert tickets, good food and durable environmental enhancements like oriental carpets.

rumbliegeos
06-08-2016, 17:10
By the way, an Amish man's straw hat is terrific for keeping the sun off your head, but you really stand out in a crowd except in a few select parts of the world...

MrFujicaman
06-08-2016, 20:01
Floppy cotton boonie hat with 3" brim.
Jeans or cotton cargo pants in light tan color.
Shirt with reinforced epaulets and button (hard to swipe a camera firmly attached to 200 pounds of me)
Steel toed workboots or US issue desert boots.
Cell phone.
pocket notebook and pen.

barnwulf
06-08-2016, 20:13
In warm weather I wear a long sleeved white linen shirt, usually jeans and a wide brimmed straw hat or better is a Tilley mesh brimmed hat that blocks UV light from your head and face. - jim

brennanphotoguy
06-14-2016, 13:14
Top to bottom:
Baseball hat
Long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up
Jeans
Vans or Converse

I always have my M3/50DR combo and extra Tri-X on me. Depending on my day I'll carry a Domke F-3 RuggedWear with my Rollei and Leica or if I feel like doing something crazy I'll take my LowePro ProTactic 450AW and a tripod and shoot some stuff.

dave lackey
06-15-2016, 03:11
Sartorially speaking, the heat requires some changes. The temps are now continually in the mid 90F range and the humidity is, well, you know... I have not been comfortable with my hats, Tilley, Orvis or flat caps because they just don't fit and then the heat and sweat...

So, I have been listening to CSN a lot lately, it was too hot to do yard work like I did a few weeks earlier. Cutting my hair was something I resisted until I could not stand it anymore... But I did, leaving a pile of hair on the barber's floor. No worries, it will grow back in the Fall! Now I can wear my hats.:D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FK3TIYG9mqM

Oh, it must be said that a Leica Man SWEATS. But down South here, a Leica Woman does not sweat, no, like a beautiful magnolia blossom collecting the morning dew, they simply get "dew-ey"... it is much more genteel and polite.

Trius
06-15-2016, 03:41
Sartorially speaking, the heat requires some changes. The temps are now continually in the mid 90F range and the humidity is, well, you know... I have not been comfortable with my hats, Tilley, Orvis or flat caps because they just don't fit and then the heat and sweat... So, I have been listening to CSN a lot lately, it was too hot to do yard work like I did a few weeks earlier. Cutting my hair was something I resisted until I could not stand it anymore... But I did, leaving a pile of hair in the barber's floor. No worries, it will grow back in the Fall! Now I can wear my hats.:D https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FK3TIYG9mqM Oh, it must be said that a Leica Man SWEATS. But down South here, a Leica Woman does not sweat, no, like a beautiful magnolia blossom collecting the morning dew, they simply get "dew-ey"... it is much more genteel and polite.

Well, Dave, I am headed to Hotlanta tomorrow for a one day turnaround trip to a client. Not looking forward to those temps.

dave lackey
06-15-2016, 04:07
Well, Dave, I am headed to Hotlanta tomorrow for a one day turnaround trip to a client. Not looking forward to those temps.

Ah, man! Wish you had a bit more time! It would be a pleasure to meet you.:)
You timed it well, though... It is not nearly as bad as Savannah.

Rain clears out tonight so the humidity will be lower tomorrow. Traffic better too, they don't know how to drive here!:D

If ya get a little time, give me a shout!

dave lackey
06-15-2016, 04:19
Seriously,

I haven't worn these since the 60s...

Maybe I should get a new suit for our 45th wedding anniversary next month!:cool: they are very comfortable...

http://www.southerntide.com/savannah-seersucker-blazer?gdftrk=gdfV29979_a_7c3688_a_7c11063_a_7c847 074369271&gclid=CMqJk8_zqc0CFYMdgQod4F8B_g

Yeah, a Southern Leica Man about town. Chrome M6 in black half case. What else for a night on the town?:)

thawkins
06-15-2016, 06:24

Jeeves with an M3!!

hendriphile
06-15-2016, 08:51
Sartorially speaking, the heat requires some changes. The temps are now continually in the mid 90F range and the humidity is, well, you know... I have not been comfortable with my hats, Tilley, Orvis or flat caps because they just don't fit and then the heat and sweat...

So, I have been listening to CSN a lot lately, it was too hot to do yard work like I did a few weeks earlier. Cutting my hair was something I resisted until I could not stand it anymore... But I did, leaving a pile of hair on the barber's floor. No worries, it will grow back in the Fall! Now I can wear my hats.:D

Oh, it must be said that a Leica Man SWEATS. But down South here, a Leica Woman does not sweat, no, like a beautiful magnolia blossom collecting the morning dew, they simply get "dew-ey"... it is much more genteel and polite.

A Leica Woman glows.

Steve M.
06-15-2016, 09:58
White clothes ain't gonna help when the humidity is almost 100%, and being called a "gentleman" is fighting words in the South. Not as bad as being called a Yankee of course (I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams what would happen if you called a Southerner that, but I wouldn't stick around to see either).

I'm in Florida now (which is NOT the South, but IS 110 w/ the heat index), and in 15 years of living all over the place in maybe 7 different cities, I only saw one person w/ a Leica anyway, so it's not like it's something that comes up very often.

The last time I was standing in a coffeteria waiting to order w/ my TLR on a strap, someone spied the camera and said to their friend "Why anyone would shoot a film camera in this day and age......" I didn't hear the rest, but I got the message. Pfffffft, yuppies.

dave lackey
06-25-2016, 14:28
Check in from everyone... What temp is it where you are?
It is 99F and climbing st 5pm here.:eek:

My sartorial choice:

Cargo shorts, plain black tee shirt, flip flops and a visor. Leica M6. Sunglasses and looking for a frappe-something-cino at Starbucks! It may be hot here, but who is hottest on RFF today?

Darthfeeble
06-25-2016, 14:40
Up over a hunnert here in the wild west.

dave lackey
06-26-2016, 05:32
By my calendar, we look to have another 8 weeks of hot, hot weather.

I am planning on Fall now...outdoors and events.

-Jeans
-Shoes
http://www.allenedmonds.com/dw/image/v2/AAXI_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-allenedmonds-catalog/default/dw15c3616b/images/database/allenedmonds_shoes_strand_brown-walnut.jpg?sw=850&sh=850&sm=fit
-Merrill World Shoes
-T-shirts, long sleeved
-Jacket for the pockets
-Flat Caps/Orvis brim
-Sweater

Billingham bag
Nikon F6, FM2n/Leica M6, X1

That's all! Simple, efficient.

Time to go shopping as I need shoes and a couple of shirts.

jaapv
06-27-2016, 12:23

Oh, there are solutions to your sartorial top problem:

http://www.rogue.co.za/index.php/com-virtuemart-menu-products/headwear/526-airhead-304lsa

dave lackey
06-27-2016, 12:30
Oh, there are solutions to your sartorial top problem:

http://www.rogue.co.za/index.php/com-virtuemart-menu-products/headwear/526-airhead-304lsa

Indeed, nice Airhead hats, I must say! Thanks for posting!
For cooler weather I rather like that Explorer, too.

dave lackey
06-28-2016, 19:28

Yep, these are definitely a serious option for assignment indoors! Chinos/indigo jeans. Button down shirt. And... Matching AE belt, watch band and bag.

Struggling with shooting in September at Old Car City, USA. It will still be hot but not as much as July or August. Still, walking six miles of dusty trails through a gigantic graveyard of rusted automobiles... Totally different wardrobe for that!:eek: